Caesar-3: Quaestor disasters

jbe...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
I've restarted Mission 4 three times now on the "peaceful" path.

If this is peaceful I'd hate to see the other city.

Seriously, I've had too many problems that I can not seem to overcome. here
are the most perplexing. Any help would be appreciated.

Fires: The city looks like LA during brushfire season. With 118 people I have
three Prefectures, fully manned. My city is in and around an oval 12x24 with
one road connecting to the main road. One each Prefecture is at the opposite
corner of the oval, the third is at the 18th row of the oval on a cross road.
Paths seem to be around the oval and then to the main road. Yet I have had
EVERY building burn at least once. I have spend all my initial cash replacing
buildings so I'm in debt to Caesar. And now I have a small army on the map
and no army.

Do I have to place a Prefecture at every intersection/corner? Keeping
fire/collapse watch has prevented me from allocating any of the 59 workers to
building/harvesting anything.

Shipyard: How can I turn it off? There wasn't any mention in the manual. I
really will only need 4 or 5 fishing boats since there are only 4 or 5 fish
locations. The inference is that one boat per fishing ground. Is this true? Do
the fish run out?

Without overbuilding (everyone says don't waste the money) how do I attract
new settlers? Is it better to have a lesser number of really desirable
locations than a much greater number of tent cities? Is 4x4 the optimum
configuration for a housing complex?

Thanks in advance.

John

Henri H. Arsenault

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
In article <6vgl24$pqj$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, jbe...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Do I have to place a Prefecture at every intersection/corner? Keeping
> fire/collapse watch has prevented me from allocating any of the 59 workers to
> building/harvesting anything.

I haven't played the campaign yet, but i have no problem with fires; if
you have too many fires, add more prefects until they stop. Of course
having long straight streets in a rectangular grid helps. Typically I will
have prefects about every 10 squares, or maybe a bit more. And if it weere
not for crime control, I could easily have fewer prefects.

> Without overbuilding (everyone says don't waste the money) how do I attract
> new settlers? Is it better to have a lesser number of really desirable
> locations than a much greater number of tent cities? Is 4x4 the optimum
> configuration for a housing complex?

Of course it is better to have more expensive housing, but if you need to
attact settlers, build cheap housing (it is free). You can always destroy
it later.

Henri

JackyO

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
jbe...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I've restarted Mission 4 three times now on the "peaceful" path.
>
> If this is peaceful I'd hate to see the other city.
>
> Seriously, I've had too many problems that I can not seem to overcome. here
> are the most perplexing. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Fires: The city looks like LA during brushfire season. With 118 people I have
> three Prefectures, fully manned. My city is in and around an oval 12x24 with
> one road connecting to the main road. One each Prefecture is at the opposite
> corner of the oval, the third is at the 18th row of the oval on a cross road.
> Paths seem to be around the oval and then to the main road. Yet I have had
> EVERY building burn at least once. I have spend all my initial cash replacing
> buildings so I'm in debt to Caesar. And now I have a small army on the map
> and no army.
>
> Do I have to place a Prefecture at every intersection/corner? Keeping
> fire/collapse watch has prevented me from allocating any of the 59 workers to
> building/harvesting anything.

No. These buildins will burn like crazy if they dont get water. Also,
set your labor allocation so that prefectures as #1

Diomedes

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
>Do I have to place a Prefecture at every intersection/corner? Keeping
>fire/collapse watch has prevented me from allocating any of the 59 workers to
>building/harvesting anything.

It's my understanding that prefectures (and other "wanderers") take a
random path whenever they start or hit an intersection. With this in
mind, I have always stuck to a "bus topology" rather than the "ring
topology." This allows you to put an engineer and prefecture at the
END of each block, ensuring their direction of travel, while not
bogging down main traffic along Main Street.

>Without overbuilding (everyone says don't waste the money) how do I attract
>new settlers? Is it better to have a lesser number of really desirable
>locations than a much greater number of tent cities? Is 4x4 the optimum
>configuration for a housing complex?

I've found that you can have denser cities with fewer "more
desireable" locations. Since fountains reach 4 squares in each
direction, I've found it useful to build two rows of houses against
the street, two rows of gardens behind them, and a fountain behind
that.

Sorry I can't help with your boating questions!

--Dio

Scott B. Drummonds

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
JackyO wrote:

> jbe...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > Do I have to place a Prefecture at every intersection/corner? Keeping
> > fire/collapse watch has prevented me from allocating any of the 59 workers to
> > building/harvesting anything.
>
> No. These buildins will burn like crazy if they dont get water. Also,
> set your labor allocation so that prefectures as #1

Wait...what needs water? The Praefectures? Is that why I can't keep my
city (Syracusae?) from burning?

Scott
--
Scott Brady Drummonds | Phone: (408)765-8093 | I got soul,
sdru...@mipos3.intel.com | Location: SC9-2C7 | I'm super-bad.

James E Sexton

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
Scott B. Drummonds (sdru...@mipos3.intel.com) wrote:
: Wait...what needs water? The Praefectures? Is that why I can't keep my
: city (Syracusae?) from burning?

They need water to put things out... I tend to scatter wells here and
there for that purpose. They only cost 5$.

-jim

JackyO

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
Scott B. Drummonds wrote:

> JackyO wrote:
> >
> > jbe...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > > Do I have to place a Prefecture at every intersection/corner? Keeping
> > > fire/collapse watch has prevented me from allocating any of the 59 workers to
> > > building/harvesting anything.
> >
> > No. These buildins will burn like crazy if they dont get water. Also,
> > set your labor allocation so that prefectures as #1
>
> Wait...what needs water? The Praefectures? Is that why I can't keep my
> city (Syracusae?) from burning?

No. ALL housing should have water, OR IT WILL BURN BABY BURN ! Drop
WELLS until you have some unemployment, EVEN in your best areas. Once
you have some unemployment, start replacing the wells with fountains. IF
you have an area that is without water EVEN FOR A SHORT TIME, it will go
up in flames ! I leave wells in A LONG TIME and just remove them when my
city is fnially ready to go to the insulae stage. Fountains can eat up
up your workers cause you need so many