Announce: Sid Meier's Animal Farm

Jason Maskell

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
Announcing the brand new Empire Builder from Sid Meier, based on the classic
Orwellian novel, Animal Farm!

Yes, that's right, only from the brain of Sid Meier could this
soon-to-be-a-classic spring!

Play as one of 5 species-based factions:

The malevolent humans, bent on destruction of the perfect communist Utopia.
The shifty pigs, set to rule the Utopia with an iron cloven hoof.
The noble horses, set to uphold the original 7 Commandments and work to aid
their comrades.
The placid cows, attempting to bring peace back to the splintered farm.
The artistic chickens, who just want to be left in peace to develop their
art.

Research exciting technology:

The doorknob, and later the latch - Learn how to open those pesky doors!
The phone, and human language - Learn how to call the glue factory!
And many more!

Learn more about our wonderful new game in Sid's ongoing developers journal,
the Barnyard Diaries: http://www.firaxis.com/animalfarm/

Marcus J. Maunula

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
That would be a cool game indeed. Much more interesting than dinosaurs.

Marcus

Jason Maskell <bac...@nospam.csolve.net> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:cjwd4.44354$Ke.2...@news21.bellglobal.com...

sbe...@dowco.com

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
Jason Maskell wrote:

> Announcing the brand new Empire Builder from Sid Meier, based on the classic
> Orwellian novel, Animal Farm!
>
> Yes, that's right, only from the brain of Sid Meier could this
> soon-to-be-a-classic spring!

He's busy with Dinosaurs. But he could work on a game based on Pauly Shore's
acting and Roseanne Barr's singing and I'd still give it a look.

Respect. Something he's earned in spades over the years.

Scott Bennie

Miradus

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
On Sun, 09 Jan 2000 00:18:06 -0800, sbe...@dowco.com wrote:

>He's busy with Dinosaurs. But he could work on a game based on Pauly Shore's
>acting and Roseanne Barr's singing and I'd still give it a look.
>
>Respect. Something he's earned in spades over the years.

Respect. Something any game designer can lose in one bad release.

Miradus

sbe...@dowco.com

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
> >He's busy with Dinosaurs. But he could work on a game based on Pauly Shore's

> >acting and Roseanne Barr's singing and I'd still give it a look.
> >
> >Respect. Something he's earned in spades over the years.
>
> Respect. Something any game designer can lose in one bad release.

A silly attitude, in my view. Directors or actors in movies are allowed some
latitude in coming back after making a bomb (eg. Spielberg had two terrible
movies: 1941 and the Lost World and came back after each ); so can novelists. Why
can't game designers be allowed the same privilege? Why do we have to burden
ourselves with this "what have you done for me lately" philosophy that does
nothing but show disrespect for those who helped build this hobby?

It's also incredibly premature to condemn Dinosaurs at this stage in its
development. Let's wait until the game is released and then criticize it - if
it's deserving.

Scott Bennie
(who thinks dinosaurs are pretty cool, except for that purple one)

Juris Baidins

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
In article <3879e77f...@24.14.77.5>, Miradus <ede...@home.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 09 Jan 2000 00:18:06 -0800, sbe...@dowco.com wrote:
>
>>Respect. Something he's earned in spades over the years.
>
>Respect. Something any game designer can lose in one bad release.

Not Sid Meier.

--
Juris Baidins
bai...@udel.edu

Miradus

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:57:23 -0800, sbe...@dowco.com wrote:

>> Respect. Something any game designer can lose in one bad release.
>

>A silly attitude, in my view. Directors or actors in movies are allowed some
>latitude in coming back after making a bomb (eg. Spielberg had two terrible
>movies: 1941 and the Lost World and came back after each ); so can novelists. Why
>can't game designers be allowed the same privilege? Why do we have to burden
>ourselves with this "what have you done for me lately" philosophy that does
>nothing but show disrespect for those who helped build this hobby?

I pay $5 for a movie ticket. I still pre-judge plenty of movies that
come out and decide whether or not to see them.

I pay $50 for a video game. I still pre-judge them as well.

The point is, we're all aware of Sid's talents. If he was someone we
didn't respect, then there wouldn't be this discussion. What we are
addressing is the fact that we think he's wasting his time on a
project that very few in this group seem to have an interest in. I
guess if I went to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.dinosaurs I'd find a
completely different viewpoint.

>It's also incredibly premature to condemn Dinosaurs at this stage in its
>development. Let's wait until the game is released and then criticize it - if
>it's deserving.

Criticize now... avoid the rush.

Miradus

foamy

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00

>>It's also incredibly premature to condemn Dinosaurs at this stage in its
>>development. Let's wait until the game is released and then criticize it - if
>>it's deserving.

Geez, _anybody_ can criticize a game AFTER it's released.

Where's the talent in that ?<G>

Jim

kre...@usq.edu.au

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:57:23 -0800, sbe...@dowco.com wrote:

>> >He's busy with Dinosaurs. But he could work on a game based on Pauly Shore's
>
>> >acting and Roseanne Barr's singing and I'd still give it a look.
>> >

>> >Respect. Something he's earned in spades over the years.
>>

>> Respect. Something any game designer can lose in one bad release.
>
>A silly attitude, in my view. Directors or actors in movies are allowed some
>latitude in coming back after making a bomb (eg. Spielberg had two terrible
>movies: 1941 and the Lost World and came back after each ); so can novelists. Why
>can't game designers be allowed the same privilege? Why do we have to burden
>ourselves with this "what have you done for me lately" philosophy that does
>nothing but show disrespect for those who helped build this hobby?
>

>It's also incredibly premature to condemn Dinosaurs at this stage in its
>development. Let's wait until the game is released and then criticize it - if
>it's deserving.
>

>Scott Bennie
>(who thinks dinosaurs are pretty cool, except for that purple one)

I remember "41 as being a funny bit of escapism that looked at a
society coming to terms with a war many didn't necessarily expect.
Lost world was the obligatory contracted sequel that brings in the
money but has to be more of the same. Anyway truly great films are
difficult to sequelise (new word??) as they generally wrap up pretty
well. I just don't consider Jurrasic Park to be a great film to start
with. Fun, yes. Marketed well, yes. Great, no.

A sequel to Schindlers List, or SPR would be almost a guaranteed
failure I believe.

I would give a director/actor/developer a fair number (3-5) real duds
before I would give up on them, assuming they have created a fair
number of masterpieces previously.

Lemming

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:19:34 GMT, ede...@home.com (Miradus) wrote:

>The point is, we're all aware of Sid's talents. If he was someone we
>didn't respect, then there wouldn't be this discussion. What we are
>addressing is the fact that we think he's wasting his time on a
>project that very few in this group seem to have an interest in. I
>guess if I went to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.dinosaurs I'd find a
>completely different viewpoint.

I believe - and this is only IMHO - that a great game designer could
design a great game about *anything*. The subject matter is almost
irrelevant.

I'm not sure whether I am disagreeing or agreeing with you , because I
am not sure what your viewpoint is, although it seems you think that
Sid can create great games, as long as they are not about Dinosaurs.

I think you are getting too hung up on the subject matter. I've seen
the most unpromising subjects resulting in great games ... for example
(board games, sorry) Boom Town (Steve Jackson?) or Shark
(Ravensburger?).

Both those games should have been on the bottom of my pile of games I
want to play, Shark is a "stocks and shares" game (YAWN), and "Boom
town" is a property development game. But the design of the games was
the thing which set them apart.

I'm not going to go into descriptions of these games here, suffice it
to say that despite the apparently (for me) dull subject matter, these
two games are actually very good. I think people may be getting too
hung up on the "Dinosaurs are for kids" idea, without giving the
designer a chance to develop his idea into the game we will all be
playing in 2002.

Regards,

Derek Sorensen
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Courageous

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Juris Baidins wrote:

> In article <3879e77f...@24.14.77.5>, Miradus <ede...@home.com> wrote:
> >On Sun, 09 Jan 2000 00:18:06 -0800, sbe...@dowco.com wrote:
> >
> >>Respect. Something he's earned in spades over the years.
> >
> >Respect. Something any game designer can lose in one bad release.
>
> Not Sid Meier.

You're right. If he put out a bad game, we'd all just cringe,
and then... black out or something. :)

C/

Ray Espiritu

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

Miradus <ede...@home.com> wrote in message

> The point is, we're all aware of Sid's talents. If he was someone we
> didn't respect, then there wouldn't be this discussion. What we are
> addressing is the fact that we think he's wasting his time on a
> project that very few in this group seem to have an interest in. I
> guess if I went to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.dinosaurs I'd find a
> completely different viewpoint.

Count me as one of those people who are interested in Sid Dino. I'm always
interested in possible game ideas involving something other than space
marines, aliens, and global conquest.

Ray

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
kre...@usq.edu.au wrote:
> I just don't consider Jurrasic Park to be a great film to start
> with. Fun, yes. Marketed well, yes. Great, no. ...

The question is, how would Sam Neill have coped with Dinosaurs
as his ruthless rival in Dead Calm?

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

Miradus

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 03:28:55 +1100, Geoffrey Tobin
<G.T...@latrobe.edu.au> wrote:

>kre...@usq.edu.au wrote:
>> I just don't consider Jurrasic Park to be a great film to start
>> with. Fun, yes. Marketed well, yes. Great, no. ...
>
>The question is, how would Sam Neill have coped with Dinosaurs
>as his ruthless rival in Dead Calm?

I want to see a dinosaur having sex with Nicole Kidman.

Miradus