Help For Settlers III

Mikkel Beister

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
I got lots of weapons, but the won't take them to the barracks, so i can't
train soldiers.
Has anyone had this problem?, what can i do?
*Thanx*

Ben Gambrel

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
I've had the same problem... But no solution sorry... Anyhelp out there?

Mangusta

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
Just make sure you have enough people available (the population menu, under
military). If you don't, build a residence.

Mikkel Beister

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
I'm sure i have enough people.
The problem is that they don't carry the weapons to the barracks,
mabe it's a bug i don't know, but it's kinda frustrating...

Mangusta

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
I don't think it's a bug, I never had the problem. If you do have enough
people, then what about checking whether you have enough carriers (adjust
the % of carriers in the population menu).

Ben Gambrel

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
I've tried boosting my carrier number WAY up and I people sitting around all
over the place, but weapons just pile up outside of the weaponsmith. (of
course this serves to backup the rest of my city. It doesn't always happen
for me it just spontaniously stops delievering sometimes... I don't
understand.

Mangusta

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
I think that you need the total of your carriers, builders, and diggers to
be less than 100%, That's the pool from where the "professions" are
recruited. That's my understanding for how it works at least, and so far I
did not have problems. Good luck!

Bob

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
Build a storage area and set it to store weapons. See what happens.

Larry Horsfield

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
In article <g_ga2.908$LP6...@news.rdc1.nj.home.com>, Mangusta
<ine...@home.com> writes

>I don't think it's a bug, I never had the problem. If you do have enough
>people, then what about checking whether you have enough carriers (adjust
>the % of carriers in the population menu).
>
>Mikkel Beister wrote in message ...
>>I'm sure i have enough people.
>>The problem is that they don't carry the weapons to the barracks,
>>mabe it's a bug i don't know, but it's kinda frustrating...

Have you set your military recruitment at all? As well as telling the
program how many weapons you want produced by the weapon maker, you have
to tell it how many swordsmen, archers and spearmen you want recruited.

Larry

M. Maisenhelder

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Mikkel Beister (fo...@get2net.dk) wrote:
> I got lots of weapons, but the won't take them to the barracks, so i can't
> train soldiers.
> Has anyone had this problem?, what can i do?
> *Thanx*

Ok, as I didn't have this problem and am quite sure that it isn't a bug
(at least it isn't known to the people I play with online), let's explore
alternative explainations:

1) Are you sure that you still have enough free people? (settlers standing
around idly doesn't mean that they don't have a job - there's a minimum
percentage of settlers that is reserved to be carriers (20% if you didn't
change that). Look at the Distribution->Military Menu (the one where you can
set recruitment to automatic or maual. If the number below is 0 it means
that you don't have any settlers left to recruit. The solution would be either
lowering the reserve percentage of carriers or building new houses.

2) Are you sure that you have your military recruitement on automatic?

3) Are you sure that the building has been completed? (no joke, I'm just
trying to cover all possibilities.)

4) Is it switched on? (Don't remember if this applies to the recruitment
building - but check it anyway.)

5) Try emailing Blue Byte if nothing helps they're usually quite responsive
to people having a problem.

Bye,
Marco...

M. Maisenhelder

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Ben Gambrel (bgam...@uiuc.edu) wrote:
> I've tried boosting my carrier number WAY up and I people sitting around all
> over the place, but weapons just pile up outside of the weaponsmith. (of

That might actually be the problem - if you have too many carriers there
might be no settlers left to recruit from... 20-25% should usually be
sufficient.

Bye,
Marco...

Dave Richardson

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
In article <e%ea2.357$jW4....@news.get2net.dk>, Mikkel Beister
<fo...@get2net.dk> writes

>I got lots of weapons, but the won't take them to the barracks, so i can't
>train soldiers.
>Has anyone had this problem?, what can i do?
>*Thanx*

Not exactly the answer to your question...

I got sick of Settlers III within a day, mostly due to things not
happening the way I thought they should and no documentation with the
game. I returned it last week on the basis of inadequate documentation
and this reason was eventually accepted by the store manager (PC World -
UK).

I bought Anno 1602 this weekend - a little gem and the find of the year
for me. More like Caesar III than Settlers III and a superb game. There
is a demo available. It has a strangely odd anti-war feel about it. The
way to build a great civilisation is be nice to your neighbours and
trade a lot. When a war starts, economies crumble quickly due to reduced
trade. Military units are quite expensive to produce and maintain. Its
RTS with a very,very heavy emphasis on exploration, expansion, trade,
and building.

.... so I suggest you return Settlers III and and get AD 1602.

--
Dave Richardson

John Alcock

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:03:34 GMT, ric...@devidia.demon.co.uk (Richard
J Warburton) wrote:

>On 6 Dec 1998 00:14:21 GMT, hi...@islhp6.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de (M.
>Maisenhelder) wrote:

>>Mikkel Beister (fo...@get2net.dk) wrote:
>>> I got lots of weapons, but the won't take them to the barracks, so i can't
>>> train soldiers.
>>> Has anyone had this problem?, what can i do?
>>> *Thanx*
>

>I have this exact same problem. I still have the original 15 soldiers
>that I think I started with.

I don't know if this is related but I once had a situation where the
tool smith refused to build the high-priority tools I indicated.
Nothing at all happened. Eventually I destroyed the building and
built a new one and everything worked fine.

John

--
Work: jal...@NOSPAMwatson.ibm.com
Home: jal...@NOSPAMct1.nai.net

Karol Pawlak

Jan 30, 2021, 6:45:33 PM1/30/21
This is very, very old topic, but i wandered here looking for answers when playing Settlers III Remastered (History Edition) and since there is no clear answer to OP's question i wanted to share the solution i found:

Barracks and swords have to be in reasonable distance from your free settlers "created" by residence. You can move swords around the map building storages, and destroying them to build new one further since carriers has no distance requirements. When i aas able to move swords nesxt to my residence, people was massively running to get then and turn into soldiers.