HOMM3: Which single scenarios do you suggest?

FidelDahan

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
I've completely finished *all* the campaigns and I've not quite had my fill of
this game yet (a testament to its longevity and 'one more turn' fun factor). I
am about half way thru the 'Mandate of Heaven' (yes, a long time M&M fan, too)
scenario and I'm wondering - which single scenarios after this would any of you
*really* recommend? And at what level of difficulty do you recommend them? I
found the regular campaigns to be pretty easy and I found myself (near the end)
wishing that they had made the final few really difficult. I'm playing Mandate
on the 'expert' level (#4), and while the first 1/3 of it I breezed thru, I'm
finding the rest of it to be getting a little more difficult now (that's a good
thing). Anyway, which other scaenarios have you played that you found to be
'memorable' and at what difficulty level? Thanks. Feel free to either post
here or e-mail me...

Kevin Lynch

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
My advice is to play all scenarios on Expert level. You'll get the most
challenge while still having a good chance of completing the scenario. As
for the most memorable, I found "Serpent's Treasure" (XL map), and "The Five
Rings" (L map) most enjoyable (note: I've played all but two XL maps "Unholy
Quest" and "Warmongers"). It must be a testament to my strategies that I
find the smaller maps easier on higher difficulty levels than the larger
maps. If you play "Good to Go" (S map), play it on Impossible or Expert if
you are a little wary. You get such a large resource bonus at the start that
you don't need anything extra (since your town is built already). I haven't
played any of the allied maps yet so I cannot tell you whether any of the
maps that have allies make it easier to play on a higher difficulty setting
(although I would think so).

After playing through the scenarios on Expert, I suggest attempting any you
lost on Expert again before reducing the difficulty level to Hard.

-- Kevin W. Lynch
rene...@sprint.ca
If using the reply button, remove "nospam.".
FidelDahan <fidel...@aol.com> wrote in message

QurqirishD

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
> I'm wondering - which single scenarios after this would any of
>you
>*really* recommend?

If you like having a storyline, then I suggest "Myth and Legend" I didn't find
it very tough (once I owned the starting island, it was only a matter of time,
but I only played on "hard"), but the storyline is very nice.

The Qurqirish Dragon, of the Xanadu Dragons
--==<<{{ UDIC }}>>=--
Remember- my address is no laughing matter

Bruno Wolff III

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
I had a good time playing "Key to Victory" on impossible. It is a small (with
underground) map with one human and one computer position.

You get to control when you meet the enemy.

I made several mistakes that left me in a bad way, but was able to win by
getting the Grail pretty much at the last possible time and by throwing
away leaders to distract the computer away from my castles in order to
get to day 1 (several times during the game).

Roberto Ullfig

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
QurqirishD wrote:

> > I'm wondering - which single scenarios after this would any of
> >you
> >*really* recommend?
>
> If you like having a storyline, then I suggest "Myth and Legend" I didn't find
> it very tough (once I owned the starting island, it was only a matter of time,
> but I only played on "hard"), but the storyline is very nice.

I'll second this one. An excellent map of Greece as well. None of them
are that hard once you get a Hero with Town Portal and Advanced or
Expert Earth Magic.

P.S. I never found the artifact required and I looked with the editor
and couldn't find it in there either. Do one of the starting Heroes wear
it? If so, then he must have died to a stack of wandering monsters or
something. I won by defeating all Heroes/Towns of course.

--
Roberto Ullfig

Raymond Bingham

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
FidelDahan (fidel...@aol.com) quipped:

>I've completely finished *all* the campaigns and I've not quite had my fill of
>this game yet (a testament to its longevity and 'one more turn' fun factor). I
>am about half way thru the 'Mandate of Heaven' (yes, a long time M&M fan, too)
>scenario and I'm wondering - which single scenarios after this would any of you

>*really* recommend? And at what level of difficulty do you recommend them? I
>found the regular campaigns to be pretty easy and I found myself (near the end)
>wishing that they had made the final few really difficult. I'm playing Mandate
>on the 'expert' level (#4), and while the first 1/3 of it I breezed thru, I'm
>finding the rest of it to be getting a little more difficult now (that's a good
>thing). Anyway, which other scaenarios have you played that you found to be
>'memorable' and at what difficulty level? Thanks. Feel free to either post
>here or e-mail me...

A scenario I really liked was "Wings of War" the one in which you're supposed
to conquer the "Griffin King".

It was cool because I couldn't beat it by beating up all the other bad guys
and then get around to the final guy. Desperate and out of luck I went for
the end guy, and ended up winning by some four units. It was extremely
intense...

Anyhow, that was a fun one.

I can't remember the one in which you're supposed to kill a specific creature
to win, but you can't miss that one, cuz there's no enemies to fight with.
That one's kind of nice cuz you know there are no enemy heroes to have to worry
about stealing your stuff, so you just build and conquer. That one was
pretty good too, and you get to fight lots of devils...

Best regards,
*Raymond Bingham (aka. wReam...)* I am your typical mega-ultra-moderate,*
********************************* extra-hyper-average, super-duper- *
* 100 % PURE Unabashed Opinion * extremely-overly-mediocre person. *

Scott Shupe

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
Roberto Ullfig wrote:

> QurqirishD wrote:
> >
> > > I'm wondering - which single scenarios after this would any of
> > >you
> > >*really* recommend?
> >
> > If you like having a storyline, then I suggest "Myth and Legend" I didn't find
> > it very tough (once I owned the starting island, it was only a matter of time,
> > but I only played on "hard"), but the storyline is very nice.
> >

> I'll second this one. An excellent map of Greece as well. None of them
> are that hard once you get a Hero with Town Portal and Advanced or
> Expert Earth Magic.
>
> P.S. I never found the artifact required and I looked with the editor
> and couldn't find it in there either. Do one of the starting Heroes wear
> it? If so, then he must have died to a stack of wandering monsters or
> something. I won by defeating all Heroes/Towns of course.

Spoilers....

It's in the underworld, in the NW corner (guarded by a stack of
hydras?), as part of an event I think. Unfortunately, it's also
possible to get it randomly from a number of spots on the map,
like the Dragon City, or a shipwreck survivor, or anything else
that has a chance of giving you a random relic. The first time
I played the map I lost to the computer because of that...

Scott
sh...@ca.metsci.com

Lars Buettner

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
FidelDahan <fidel...@aol.com> wrote:

> ... Anyway, which other scenarios have you played that you found to

> be 'memorable' and at what difficulty level?

Hi there,

i really enjoyed "Realm of Chaos". Choose the Necropolis as starting
town and expert difficulty level. It looks like everything is under
control until you get to the surface. This is where I was utterly
defeated by a Fortress army. Had to restart ;-} After winning with
Necropolis I tried the Fortress and it was much easier. That's why be
a bad Necromancer guy and have fun.

I have to second that "Serpents Treasure" is a decent map. Try playing
with Inferno on expert level. You will have a thrilling game from very
early on (The Tower provides less fun since it is a more secure area
with respect to early invaders.)

Have fun,
Lars

--
Lars Buettner | Tel: +49 30 6392-1845
GMD/FIRST Berlin | Fax: +49 30 6392-1805

ciucura...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2018, 12:23:18 PM12/8/18
The answer imho is... it depends.

Depends on what level of understanding and applying mechanics in the game. If you know hero builds, spells, creatures, fights etc... You should start with the level you have fun with. No need for frustrations or tilt playing a single player scenario, just have fun and learn different things in game. I would advice to play a SMALL map every time you change game difficulty, because late game fights on Expert+ can become frustrating when you spend so many time and you already lost in mid game. Another tip: you can google what castles are better for different map sizes.

It depends of course on how much time you can spend on a map. If you wanna lose a few hours, then go for a small one. If you can spend multiple days, you can go for larger sizes.

Playing it for more than 15 years, i would say Random map generator/Impossible/large size, 8 players (even 1vs7), strong mobs, becomes easier and easier and when you finished all the maps, those are the best. You will be able to finish the game with a few black dragons and 3-4 spells, only with skeletons or whatever strategy you want to try will work, because AI are challenging in this game, but still AI.

Tips for Impossible level:

1. Play aggressively from day 1, as you won't be able to build anything a few days and the AI will.
2. Build as many heroes as you can, there's a reason why the game name is Heroes. It's because you need them to do everything: moving armies, collecting resources, scouting, etc...
3. Learn how to hero chain. The better you do -> the better you clear -> the faster you grow.
4. Don't pick every resource! Pick only what you need and leave the rest, as your movement isn't unlimited.
4.1 Pick only gold from chests, because your economy is way too bad and you don't need a good hero with no army and you can always fight creatures for xp.
4.2 At day 1 scout and take the wood and ore mines around your castle.
5. You should strike to never lose creatures, but if you really need to clear always sacrifice a few creatures for expanding faster.

With experience Impossible Dificulty will become Easy again. Have fun!

Marek Smolarik

Dec 13, 2022, 8:37:46 PM12/13/22
Dňa sobota 15. mája 1999 o 9:00:00 UTC+2 používateľ FidelDahan napísal:
> I've completely finished *all* the campaigns and I've not quite had my fill of
> this game yet (a testament to its longevity and 'one more turn' fun factor). I
> am about half way thru the 'Mandate of Heaven' (yes, a long time M&M fan, too)
> scenario and I'm wondering - which single scenarios after this would any of you
> *really* recommend? And at what level of difficulty do you recommend them? I
> found the regular campaigns to be pretty easy and I found myself (near the end)
> wishing that they had made the final few really difficult. I'm playing Mandate
> on the 'expert' level (#4), and while the first 1/3 of it I breezed thru, I'm
> finding the rest of it to be getting a little more difficult now (that's a good
> thing). Anyway, which other scaenarios have you played that you found to be
> 'memorable' and at what difficulty level? Thanks. Feel free to either post
> here or e-mail me...

barbarian breakout on 200 percent is chalenging others are easy... really do not recomanding unholy quest so easy and boring...