MOO: Toxic bases on Steppe Worlds...

Nigel Keam

Nov 23, 1994, 10:09:12 AM11/23/94
Has anyone compiled a list of which bases land on which worlds - and for
that matter which technologies allow you to land on which worlds.
Obviously, control of toxic.. tech & a toxic base allow you to settle a
toxic world but it seems that some of these supersede others. Presumably a
craft that can land on a toxic world would have no problem on a steppe
world but when you have the tech for (say) radiated and barren worlds and
you want to settle that toxic world next door it helps to know what to
build in advance, particulary as some bases are more expensive.

If it is in the FAQ, mea culpa, I couldn't see it.
If it isn't, .. maybe it should be??

[ ok I've donned my asbestos cloak, flame on ]

Piet E Barber

Nov 23, 1994, 5:42:13 PM11/23/94
Nigel Keam (ke...@vnet.ibm.com) wrote:
: Has anyone compiled a list of which bases land on which worlds - and for

: that matter which technologies allow you to land on which worlds.

From what I can tell, a radiated colony base allows you to land on any
planet.
--
------------------------+----------------------------------------------------
Piet "Hammy" Barber | _ Fairfax, VA USA: Birthplace of the

Nigel Keam

Nov 23, 1994, 4:48:46 PM11/23/94
Sorry if the original wasn't clear enough.
Firstly, I made a slight mistake. Anything can land on a Steppe world, I
meant a Dead world.
However, I'll try to clarify the real question:
Exactly which special bases can land on which types of planets. e.g. a
toxic base can land on a standard (e.g. terran) world but a standard base
cannot be used to land on a toxic world. Obviously, I need to create a new
design for each change of landing base type. Equally obviously, I can tell
whether I *can* land on a given planet type by checking the map/environment
display. The problem is that if it says I can land on (say) a dead world
but I haven't got dead world technology yet - I have barren & radiated
(again this is just an example), how do I know *which* of the two special
bases (barren or radiated) I should/could use to colonize the dead world.
Alternatively, if I'm trying to colonize planets rapidly, it may be better
to make two radiated base craft for a radiated planet and a barren planet
so as to only use one design.

(yes, of course if you're silicoid then a standard base *can* be used... )

anyway,

The answer to this question (in a faq) should probably look like:

Special Base: Standard Barren Dead Toxic,...
Planet Type

Standard yes yes yes...
Barren no yes no yes ...
Dead no no yes yes ....
Toxic
Radiated
..
etc.

thanks for the responses.
If this hasn't been compiled, tell me & I'll figure it out and publish it
here myself

In <dsteckel.2...@silver.sdsmt.edu>, dste...@silver.sdsmt.edu (Darwin Steckelberg) writes:

>I may not completely understand what you're saying here, but it sounds like
>what you need is right there on the "Map" screen. Just click on "Climates" or
>"Environments" (I forget exactly) from the map screen and look at the enviro's
>legend to see which ones you can land on with your current tech.
>
>Also, if you're wanting to spend less money for, say, devloping a regular
>planet pod to develop a steppe planet when you have the technology to develop
>radiated planets, remember that you'll have to create a new ship class,
>possibly at the expense of one of your existing classes.
>
>Dar Steckelberg

Darwin Steckelberg

Nov 23, 1994, 12:48:24 PM11/23/94
In article <Czq7F...@austin.ibm.com> ke...@vnet.ibm.com (Nigel Keam) writes:

I may not completely understand what you're saying here, but it sounds like

what you need is right there on the "Map" screen. Just click on "Climates" or
"Environments" (I forget exactly) from the map screen and look at the enviro's
legend to see which ones you can land on with your current tech.

Also, if you're wanting to spend less money for, say, devloping a regular
planet pod to develop a steppe planet when you have the technology to develop
radiated planets, remember that you'll have to create a new ship class,
possibly at the expense of one of your existing classes.

Dar Steckelberg

@@@@@@@ @@@@@@ @@@@@@@ Dar Steckelberg
@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@ Computer Science Student
@@! @@@ @@! @@@ @@! @@@ South Dakota School of
!@! @!@ !@! @!@ !@! @!@ Mines & Technology
@!@ !@! !@!@!@!@ @!@!!@!
!!: !!! !@!!!@@! !!@!@!
!:! :@! @!! !:: !@! !:! dste...@silver.sdsmt.edu
!:::::! :!: :!: !:! :!:
: :: : : : : : (font by David S. Issel--modified)

Steve Dettmann

Nov 24, 1994, 11:34:29 AM11/24/94

>Nigel Keam (ke...@vnet.ibm.com) wrote:
>: Has anyone compiled a list of which bases land on which worlds - and for
>: that matter which technologies allow you to land on which worlds.

Just call up the map with the button at the bottom of the screen then
push the environments button on the right and it will show you in red
and green which environments you have the tech to colonize.

--

--Steve--

Steve.D...@mixcom.com

William R. Sauerwald <wrsauerw>

Nov 25, 1994, 9:19:55 AM11/25/94
In article <1994Nov24....@mixcom.com>,

Don't think thats what he is asking.

Think of the environments as getting harsher, as listed on the Map Screen. Any
Base technology can colonate any planet less harsh than itself. IE Radiated
can colonize any env., Toxic - any except Radiated, Inferno - any except Tox
and Rad, etc.

Bill Sauerwald

wrsa...@cbda9.apgea.army.mil |"Are you truely, deeply cynical?
America On Line: tro...@aol.com | Cause Boy you know I loved you so,
Bill Sauerwald, BSAE/ME U of MD | when no one knew your name and you
Aberdeen Proving Ground, Edgewood MD | weren't pompous" Cracker

David R. Henry

Nov 25, 1994, 1:00:58 PM11/25/94
Nigel wonders:

>Has anyone compiled a list of which bases land on which worlds - and for
>that matter which technologies allow you to land on which worlds.

It's really quite simple. Go to your Map section of the game and look at
the list of planet ecologies. The ones on the left are all "friendly"
planets, while the ones on the right are "hostile" ones. Advanced planetary
landing bases will let you land on the hostile planet named, as well as
all hostile planets above it. Any colonization base can colonize a
"friendly" planet. If you're having trouble with this, then maybe you
should play the Silicoids. :-)

--
David R. Henry - Rogue Fan Club / Damn the death threats, full pizza ahead
"All you of Earth are IDIOTS!"-P9fOS / What was the question? -- Kate Bush

Wei-Hwa Huang

Nov 26, 1994, 6:58:11 PM11/26/94
ke...@vnet.ibm.com (Nigel Keam) writes:

>Exactly which special bases can land on which types of planets. e.g. a

>(again this is just an example), how do I know *which* of the two special
>bases (barren or radiated) I should/could use to colonize the dead world.
>Alternatively, if I'm trying to colonize planets rapidly, it may be better
>to make two radiated base craft for a radiated planet and a barren planet
>so as to only use one design.

Basically, you're thinking it's harder than it actually is.
The sequence of planetology technology is linear.
Any planetology base allows landings on any planet equal to or above it.
In other words, your chart would end up looking like
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
No No Yes Yes Yes YEs
No NO No Yes Yes YEs
.
.

Steve Dettmann

Nov 27, 1994, 1:21:24 AM11/27/94
In <1994Nov25.1...@apgea.army.mil> wrsa...@apgea.army.mil (William R. Sauerwald <wrsauerw>) writes:

>In article <1994Nov24....@mixcom.com>,
>Steve Dettmann <Steve.D...@mixcom.mixcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Nigel Keam (ke...@vnet.ibm.com) wrote:
>>>: Has anyone compiled a list of which bases land on which worlds - and for
>>>: that matter which technologies allow you to land on which worlds.
>>
>>Just call up the map with the button at the bottom of the screen then
>>push the environments button on the right and it will show you in red
>>and green which environments you have the tech to colonize.

>Don't think thats what he is asking.

>Think of the environments as getting harsher, as listed on the Map Screen. Any
>Base technology can colonate any planet less harsh than itself. IE Radiated
>can colonize any env., Toxic - any except Radiated, Inferno - any except Tox
>and Rad, etc.

>Bill Sauerwald

Which is exactly what is shown on the map screen. All the environments
are in order from friendliest to worst.They are color coded red when you
don't have the tech to colonize it, and green if you can. The colors
are updated when you get a new colony tech.

--

--Steve--

Steve.D...@mixcom.com

reid....@pca.state.mn.us

Nov 29, 1994, 12:19:44 PM11/29/94
>ke...@vnet.ibm.com (Nigel Keam) writes:
>
>> Exactly which special bases can land on which types of planets. e.g. a
>> (again this is just an example), how do I know *which* of the two special
> bases (barren or radiated) I should/could use to colonize the dead world.
>> Alternatively, if I'm trying to colonize planets rapidly, it may be better
>> to make two radiated base craft for a radiated planet and a barren planet
>> so as to only use one design.
A radiated base can colonize any planet. Once you get that tech, the only
reason to build a barren base is because it is a little smaller and a little
cheaper. This is almost never enough compensation for using up another ship
design. The only time it would be worthwhile is if you could fit the barren
base, but _not_ the radiated base, into a smaller hull, which would result in
a _much_ cheaper ship.

- Reid Gagle Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Flakes

"'Normal' is just a cycle on your washing machine." -- John P. McAfee

root

Nov 30, 1994, 5:13:02 PM11/30/94
reid....@pca.state.mn.us wrote:

: >ke...@vnet.ibm.com (Nigel Keam) writes:
: >
: >> Exactly which special bases can land on which types of planets. e.g. a
: >> (again this is just an example), how do I know *which* of the two special
: > bases (barren or radiated) I should/could use to colonize the dead world.
: >> Alternatively, if I'm trying to colonize planets rapidly, it may be better
: >> to make two radiated base craft for a radiated planet and a barren planet
: >> so as to only use one design.
: A radiated base can colonize any planet. Once you get that tech, the only
: reason to build a barren base is because it is a little smaller and a little
: cheaper. This is almost never enough compensation for using up another ship
: design. The only time it would be worthwhile is if you could fit the barren
: base, but _not_ the radiated base, into a smaller hull, which would result in
: a _much_ cheaper ship.

The ranking of environments is: (I think)

Radiated
Toxic
Inferno
Dead
Tundra
Barren

Normal

Any base can colonize any planet EQUAL or LOWER in ranking.

As previously posted, it is generally a bad idea to build less than your
maximum tech colony base. However, if you have old ships lying around, this
may help you get more mileage out of them.

: - Reid Gagle Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Flakes

: "'Normal' is just a cycle on your washing machine." -- John P. McAfee

Chris

Timothy Jehl~

Nov 30, 1994, 3:58:26 PM11/30/94

For a quick summary, go to the Map screen, and then place it in the
environment(?) mode. It will give you a two column legend for the various
planet types. Everything in the left hand column can be colonized by
any type of base (including standard). Any type of base other than standard
can colonize, in addition to the left hand column planet types, the planet
of its type and every type listed ABOVE it in the right hand column.

TJ