Elder Scrolls: Arena

Jeffery Thomas

Feb 11, 1994, 7:19:27 PM2/11/94

Bethesda says that they released this game last Friday in Europe,
with the US to get it in the next week or two. Has anyone seen this
game yet?

Jeff T.

pca...@hmcvax.hmc.edu

Feb 13, 1994, 10:49:41 PM2/13/94

Haven't seen it, but CGW drooled all over it in a sneak preview. It
looks pretty slick.

---- Pat

MARTIN J WITKOWSKI

Feb 14, 1994, 12:27:12 AM2/14/94
RE: Arena in Europe and CGW.

If Arena was truly released in Europe already, we would have heard more
about it.
As for CGW.....they drool over anything. If there is one single magazine
that massages the ego of anyone, then CGW is it.
While some of their reviews are in depth, they never tell you a game
is a piece of crap, like Mantis was. I'll never forgive them the 65$ I spent
on it....

Daniel Starr

Feb 14, 1994, 1:24:07 AM2/14/94
In article <CL78H...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
>As for CGW.....they drool over anything. If there is one single magazine
>that massages the ego of anyone, then CGW is it.
>While some of their reviews are in depth, they never tell you a game
>is a piece of crap, like Mantis was. I'll never forgive them the 65$ I spent
>on it....
Are you sure you're referring to Computer Gaming World and not another
magazine (like Computer Game Review, which everyone seems to mix up with
CGW)? I ask because as far as I can tell, CGW is quite happy to write a
negative review (see: Blue Force, Command Adventures: Starship, Realms of
Arkania, and many others to a lesser degree)... and I can't remember them
ever reviewing Mantis, period.

--
Daniel Starr | Game Bytes: PC and cartridge game reviews, previews,
Assistant Editor, | tips, screen shots, industry interviews and news --

Russell Webb

Feb 14, 1994, 1:30:31 AM2/14/94

MARTIN J WITKOWSKI <cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> wrote:
>As for CGW.....they drool over anything. If there is one single magazine
>that massages the ego of anyone, then CGW is it.
>While some of their reviews are in depth, they never tell you a game
>is a piece of crap, like Mantis was. I'll never forgive them the 65$ I spent
>on it....

I can't disagree with you more. CGW is the magazine that I rate most
highly (after Gamebytes, of course) with respect to the brutal honesty
and completeness of their reviews. I haven't seen any other print magazine
slam as many of the awful games out there on the market.

Just looking at some of the latest reviews:
"Sadly enough, I haven't hit on half the things badly done or omitted in
this game....even the moderately experienced gamer will experience
disappointment on a galactic scale." -Command Adventures: Starship, Feb94

"Sensitivity, of course is more than one should expect from a game called
'The Battle of the Robo Babes,' so there may be no point in complaining;
but good gameplay is not, and there is equally little of that to be
found...You'd be better off buying a CD wrapped in plain brown paper."
-Metal and Lace, Feb94

"Sadly, though, these were fleeting moments set in a sea of awkward
graphics and gameplay, and it was very easy to park this game in the
lot of disappointments." -Speed Racer, Jan94

"It's just a mediocre release with some good ideas that didn't come off."
-Quarterpole, Jan94

"Jim Walls and Tsunami both have better work in them. I take comfort
as should they, in the knowledge that they have nowhere to go but up."
-Blue Force, Nov93

--
-Russell Webb
rw...@panix.com

Justin Burk

Feb 15, 1994, 12:30:12 PM2/15/94
In article <CL78H...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca>,
MARTIN J WITKOWSKI <cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> wrote:

Are you sure that it was Computer Gaming World (and Interactive
Multimedia Entertainment and whatever else they call themselves
nowadays)? I read CGW almost exclusively and I distinctly remember not
even considering Mantis due to a review I read...

Fok Leslie Li Sze

Feb 19, 1994, 1:32:04 AM2/19/94

Yeah, I remember they trashed Mantis pretty good, too. CGW is definitely the
best computer games mag around, even after they got aquired by Ziffffff.
BTW I do think Arena IS released in Europe, and should hit the stores in North
America soon (as in the next week or so, I think).

Richard Sullivan

Feb 21, 1994, 6:16:21 AM2/21/94

>>As for CGW.....they drool over anything. If there is one single magazine
>>that massages the ego of anyone, then CGW is it.
>>While some of their reviews are in depth, they never tell you a game
>>is a piece of crap, like Mantis was. I'll never forgive them the 65$ I spent
>>on it....

CGW's Sneek Previews might "drool over anything". They as much as say
so in their intro for each one. It is not true, however, that they
never trash a game. They do it all the time. There was a thread a
few months ago where someone pulled out the current issue and found
many bad reviews and not even a majority of positive ones! Sure this
isn't true every month but CGW is the only computer game magazine I
still read and every game I've bought against their recomendation has
turned out to be a mistake.

Richard