Wizardry - Beans in Munkharama

Christopher Kashuba

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?

Chris

Bjorn Lovoll

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

well use the color as a code, diamond goes in the silver urn, and so on..

Christopher Kashuba <ckas...@cheese.engr.ucdavis.edu> wrote in article
<53bqm6$h...@mark.ucdavis.edu>...

Michael Huemer

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

ckas...@cheese.engr.ucdavis.edu (Christopher Kashuba) writes:

>4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
>hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?

I think the combination changes each game.

My advice, though: write down the 24 combinations on a piece of paper
and use logic to rule out possibilities systematically.

--
^-----^
Michael Huemer <o...@rci.rutgers.edu> / O O \

Kaleen Reed

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96
to ckas...@cheese.engr.ucdavis.edu

one of the hint lines said to first use the urn closest to where you find
the bean. if that doesn't work, use the one farthest away. it's supposed
to be a different combination for each game, but the same within a game.
Seems to me that everytime i did it (I restarted the game *a lot* in the
beginning) i ended up falling once and then the hint combo would work.
you get gold and experience points and a door which let's you get into the
back section of munkarama without swimming under the arches. this
particular puzzle does not need to be solved, if that's any help.

Best of luck!

Kaleen

Robert Huston

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

wrote:

>4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
>hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?
>

>Chris

Move the beans around until you get WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE.
Next, move them in pairs, noting when you get a BLACK
result. I mark the rooms NE, NW, SE and SW to keep track.
It should take only 4-6 tries to get
BLACK-BLACK-BLACK-BLACK.

Regards,

Bob

Samuel Weber

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

In article <53c808$n...@erebus.rutgers.edu>,
Michael Huemer <o...@erebus.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>ckas...@cheese.engr.ucdavis.edu (Christopher Kashuba) writes:
>
>>4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
>>hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?
>
>My advice, though: write down the 24 combinations on a piece of paper
>and use logic to rule out possibilities systematically.

Just as a warning, one thing I found in Wiz Gold was that there was
a (small) bug here. When you pull the spindle and get the
"black" "white" "white" etc result, the speech gave different results
from what the text said. I found that the text was the one that
was correct.

-- Sam Weber (samw...@central.cis.upenn.edu)

Gregor Eigner

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

Hi...

> 4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of
> combos. Anybody have a
> hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the
> trap door again?

I had luck. Two tries and gotcha! :)

Bye,
Greg / Crack.Neutron Entertainment^Autark

.ooO0 Vote for Autark#2 NOW! 0Ooo.

The Gamer

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96
to Christopher Kashuba

Christopher Kashuba wrote:

> 4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
> hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?
>
> Chris

Alot of these guys are trying to be helpful...and that's cool! But, take
it from a guy who has the ultimate walkthrough! The bean puzzle has a
system...

This formula was shared with me:

The object is to collect the four beans, put (by 'using')
a bean in each of the four chalices, then go to room X and
pull the spindle. Whether you have placed the correct bean in the
correct chalice is shown by a listing of BLACKs and WHITEs, NOT in
meaningful sequence. BWWW simply means that one bean was placed
correctly and three were not. If you have it, cast the levitate
spell before entering room X. Anything but BBBB gets you dumped
into a dungeon below at 'A' where you will eventually find a ladder
at 'B' leading up to the NE 4-square room and the opportunity to try
again.

I have never heard of anyone getting all black on the first try. I
think the first try will always result in four whites. To avoid the
necessity to blunder through all 24 possible combinations, I offer
a more logical approach that worked for me. (The method, that is -
the specific solution is not necessarily repeatable.)

Chalice located NW NE SE SW Result
Beans placed first try S W C P WWWW
second try W S P C BBWW
third try C S P W WWWW
fourth try W P S C BBBB

Explanation - on the first try (for lack of a better thought) each
bean was placed in the chalice next to the room from which it came.
Since all were wrong, all were moved. 'S' and 'W' were swapped and
so were 'C' and 'P'. Two correct - two wrong. Third try - swap one
pair only (but a different pairing). Swap 'C' and 'W'. All wrong
again, BUT - it looks like the only possibility is that putting 'C'
and 'W' back would give us two correct again, and that 'P' and 'S'
are the ones in the wrong place and should be swapped. Result ?
Success! All black. Reward ? A little gold, some XP and a secret
door opened at 6 in the SE corner of the SE chalice room .

FOOTNOTE: I replayed this, thinking that I knew the answer. After
repeating the first try arrangement, I jumped straight to the
previously successful fourth try arrangement but got all wrong -
all white. I also think that different first try arrangements will
lead to different final solutions. VERY clever design/programming.

Well...that's it! Hope it helps!

Dj

Soon A. Lee

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

In article <325C10...@ix.netcom.com>, The Gamer
<TheG...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Christopher Kashuba wrote:
> >
> > 4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
> > hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?
> >
> > Chris
>

> Alot of these guys are trying to be helpful...and that's cool! But, take
> it from a guy who has the ultimate walkthrough! The bean puzzle has a
> system...
>
> This formula was shared with me:
>
> The object is to collect the four beans, put (by 'using')
> a bean in each of the four chalices, then go to room X and
> pull the spindle. Whether you have placed the correct bean in the
> correct chalice is shown by a listing of BLACKs and WHITEs, NOT in
> meaningful sequence. BWWW simply means that one bean was placed
> correctly and three were not. If you have it, cast the levitate
> spell before entering room X. Anything but BBBB gets you dumped
> into a dungeon below at 'A' where you will eventually find a ladder
> at 'B' leading up to the NE 4-square room and the opportunity to try
> again.
>
> I have never heard of anyone getting all black on the first try.

Friend o' mine did, the lucky dog. The exact combination changes from
game to game. More specifically, the combination is set when you collect
the beans for the first time. So if you collect the beans and try out a
combination (unsuccessfully), then restore to an older game and collect
the beans for the 'first time' again, the correct solution will be
different. Spent some hair-pulling hours working that out!

Basically, if you're going to try the save/restore trick to avoid falling
down damage, first collect the beans, then save. And restore from that
savegame.

Happy hunting,
Soon

Joel Weaver

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 16:16:02 +0100, s....@auckland.ac.nz (Soon A. Lee)
wrote:

>In article <325C10...@ix.netcom.com>, The Gamer
><TheG...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Christopher Kashuba wrote:
>> >
>> > 4 beans, 4 places to put them. That is a lot of combos. Anybody have a
>> > hint before I pull the spindle and fall through the trap door again?

Yes.

Spoiler follows:

The proper placement of the beans is location dependant. Each bean
must be placed in the closest chalice, i.e., the northwest room
containing a bean must be placed in the northwest room containing a
chalice, etc.

Why aren't you playing Daggerfall? ;)

Joel Weaver
jwe...@bayou.uh.edu

Harry J. Thiel

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

jwe...@bayou.uh.edu (Joel Weaver) wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 16:16:02 +0100, s....@auckland.ac.nz (Soon A. Lee)
>wrote:

>The proper placement of the beans is location dependant. Each bean
>must be placed in the closest chalice, i.e., the northwest room
>containing a bean must be placed in the northwest room containing a
>chalice, etc.
>
>Why aren't you playing Daggerfall? ;)
>
>Joel Weaver
>jwe...@bayou.uh.edu

This doesn't work 100% of the time.

Doesn't matter just swim through the tunnel and stop at
the chest. If you must buy stamina potions from New
City or food from the Inn. Don't drown.

Harry