MM6: Castle Darkmoor help

Warren A. Smith Jr.

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:33:14 GMT, jo...@mailexcite.com (Greg Ackerson)
wrote:

>>I hate this dungeon!

Yeah, I've reached my limit with this one too.

>Join the crowd. It sucks royally, doesn't it? It took me at least 6
>hours of play to do it.
>
>>killed everything and been everywhere, but I still can't find the Book
>>of Liches.
>
>In the big room, activate the blue box by clicking on the plaque on
>the (north?) wall near where you found the memory crystal. That will
>turn the box red, click on the box, and you'll be teleported to a
>small room (no monsters, btw). On the lectern is the Book. :)

OK, but I haven't even gotten to the crystal yet. I can hear it
humming so I know I'm in the right area. However, There is a glass
wall (for lack of a better term) that I haven't been able to find a
way through. I tried clicking on the box in the center of a large
room but it hasn't gotten me anywhere that does me any good, as far as
I can tell. How do I get that into that room blocked by the glass
wall?

--
Live Long & Prosper!

Warren A. Smith Jr.
Pearl River, NY

du...@imap3.asu.edu

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

: >I hate this dungeon! I've been putting it off for a while, but I'm lvl

I hate this dungeon too. My characters are around level 60 and we keep
getting our butts kicked! I normally like to figure things out for
myself, but I am just plain tired of this dungeon. Can anyone give me
suggestions on how to kill the floating eyes? or, at least, how I can be
better protected from them?

- Chris
du...@indirect.com

Warren A. Smith Jr.

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

What kind of party do you have? It makes concrete suggestions more
helpful. Saying to use dragon's breath doesn't help if you don't have
any dark magic casters. :)

Having said that, dragon's breath will take out a whole group of them
in one shot. Flying Eyes (ie., proper name) usually died with one
shot of incinerate. The others I used Acid Burst or Implosion, but I
don't recall anything working consistently well on them. Acid Burst
was probably the most consistent spell but never really did a lot of
damage. However, relatively speaking, eyes don't have a lot of
hitpoints, so if you have a strong melee party, you should be able to
hack them apart fairly easily provided you can keep from falling
asleep, etc.

And there really is no way to be better protected since they will just
strip your protections from you. So, it's just best to realize you
are going to get pounded and concentrate on getting a few of them
before you have to bail out. Probably the best thing, though, is to
wait until you gain 10 or 20 levels, then try again.

Michael Kim

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Warren A. Smith Jr. (WSmi...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: don't recall anything working consistently well on them. Acid Burst

: was probably the most consistent spell but never really did a lot of
: damage. However, relatively speaking, eyes don't have a lot of

Try toxic cloud. It will do wonders on the eyes. Usually, I just dragon
breath once or twice then toxic cloud the survivors.

K. Laisathit

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article <3587c562...@news.mindspring.com>,

Warren A. Smith Jr. <WSmi...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On 17 Jun 1998 17:02:52 GMT, du...@imap3.asu.edu wrote:
>
>Having said that, dragon's breath will take out a whole group of them
>in one shot. Flying Eyes (ie., proper name) usually died with one
>shot of incinerate.

Actually fire-based attacks work against Maddening Eyes too. The
only sub-type that's immune to fire-based magic is the Terrible
Eye type.

>damage. However, relatively speaking, eyes don't have a lot of

>hitpoints, so if you have a strong melee party, you should be able to
>hack them apart fairly easily provided you can keep from falling
>asleep, etc.

All flying creatures have an annoying habit of flying beyond
the melee range, i.e., right on top of you. This has got to
go in MM7. NWC has got to make a choice, either let us fly
indoor or let the melee fighters have their chance at closing
in and hacking the critters to pieces.

>And there really is no way to be better protected since they will just
>strip your protections from you. So, it's just best to realize you
>are going to get pounded and concentrate on getting a few of them
>before you have to bail out. Probably the best thing, though, is to
>wait until you gain 10 or 20 levels, then try again.

I waited till the last moment before doing Darkmoor. It makes
life a lot easier when your big guns all have 800+ spell points.

Later...

K I R A T I L A I S A T H I T kir...@u.washington.edu

omega_1

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

Maps and stuff
http://members.xoom.com/talshiar/
du...@imap3.asu.edu wrote in message <6m8srs$ff6$1...@news.asu.edu>...

>: >I hate this dungeon! I've been putting it off for a while, but I'm lvl
>
>I hate this dungeon too. My characters are around level 60 and we keep
>getting our butts kicked! I normally like to figure things out for
>myself, but I am just plain tired of this dungeon. Can anyone give me
>suggestions on how to kill the floating eyes? or, at least, how I can be
>better protected from them?
>
>- Chris
>du...@indirect.com

mus...@lava.net

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Ok Ive been working my way thru this dungeon as well, my party is around level
45 now (was around 35 when I started Darkmoor :) ). Ive got Hero Priest Arch
Druid and Archmage... Im now in the burial chamber working on cleaning out the
outer area, Ive got about 15 more eyes to do and I can start working on the
inner chamber. Not looking forward to all those lich's/eyes. Anyway after
reading thru this thread its become evident Im way too low for this dungeon so
my question is how long before it respawns... I dont want to put it aside
while gaining more levels only to have to slog thru the whole dungeon from
square one again because it respawned. If that were the case Id rather just
keep hacking away at it like I am.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Robert Olesen

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

I think all dungeons respawn after 2 years.

Robert Olesen.

Tom Reece

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98
to Warren A. Smith Jr.

Can someone post an answer on how to get past the "forcefield", glass wall,
or whatever it is the prevents you from entering the big room right next to
the room that generates liches if you step on the brown pads.

Also, someone posted a message about clicking on a plaque etc to activate
hanging the hanging red/blue cubes. So far I have only found one plaque.
When I clicked on the plaque, a lever opened up right next to the plaque. I
pulled the lever. When I went back out the first hanging cube had turned
red. When I clicked on it the message read "The way has been cleared".
Worked my around and fought a bunch of monsters in a large room with another
hanging blue cube. Haven't found any plaque that turns it red. If I click
on it, it teleports me back to the room with the red hanging cube. What am
I doing wrong.

Thanks
Tom

Kelvin Lim

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Tom Reece <ree...@aloha.net> wrote:

>Can someone post an answer on how to get past the "forcefield", glass wall,
>or whatever it is the prevents you from entering the big room right next to
>the room that generates liches if you step on the brown pads.

Try going around from the outside. Use the side entrance and jump into
the room.

>Also, someone posted a message about clicking on a plaque etc to activate
>hanging the hanging red/blue cubes. So far I have only found one plaque.
>When I clicked on the plaque, a lever opened up right next to the plaque. I
>pulled the lever. When I went back out the first hanging cube had turned
>red. When I clicked on it the message read "The way has been cleared".
>Worked my around and fought a bunch of monsters in a large room with another
>hanging blue cube. Haven't found any plaque that turns it red. If I click
>on it, it teleports me back to the room with the red hanging cube. What am
>I doing wrong.

There's nothing wrong. The next "blue-turn-red" cube is in that room
you're trying to get into.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
char *s = "\xA\x2C\0#my$~od$iclcikzJgcfdc|foa\"*gcF*dc|foA*gexL", *i;
for(i=s+*(s+1);i-s-1;) printf("%c", *i--^*s); return 0; }

Tom Reece

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98
to Kelvin Lim

The room I can't get into appears to only have one entrance, the one blocked by a
forcefield. There don't appear to be any side openings. I had no problem
getting into the room with the second blue/red cube. It is in the first big
room, surrounded by a cavern you can access after you touch the first red cube.

Tom

Kelvin Lim

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Tom Reece <ree...@aloha.net> wrote:

>The room I can't get into appears to only have one entrance, the one blocked by a
>forcefield. There don't appear to be any side openings. I had no problem
>getting into the room with the second blue/red cube. It is in the first big
>room, surrounded by a cavern you can access after you touch the first red cube.
>
>Tom

There's another entrance, from a balcony. As I've mentioned
previously, you need to go from a side entrance. What I meant was that
you had to go around the outside of the building... instead of heading
in by the main entrance, go left of it, and follow the wall until you
reach a flight of stairs along the outside wall.

Tomasz Różok

Jul 13, 2021, 3:10:34 PM7/13/21
czwartek, 25 czerwca 1998 o 09:00:00 UTC+2 Kelvin Lim napisał(a):
here I am replying this lovel ygame and struggling trought this damned dungeon

Jon Yildiz

Aug 8, 2021, 12:11:19 AM8/8/21
Hahaha, I've been playing this game for 22 years and only now I'm coming across this.

I'm sad that nobody correctly answered Tom Reece's question from June 24, 1998.... Tom, that forcefield is disabled by clicking on the second big cube hanging from the ceiling (not in that area). But first you gotta turn that cube from blue to red by flipping a switch that will tell you that "the fires of the dead shall burn forever".

There you go. I know you'd been refreshing this page every day for the past 23 years hoping somebody would help you. Now you can finally finish the game.

John Yaya (Ogrevampire)

Dec 5, 2022, 6:48:53 AM12/5/22
Honestly this game is still "Fresh" for me, although I can't remember for the life of me which MM game had the really cool chests (black) silver etc. and the merchant that says "See anything you like" in a creepy voice. IMHO MM series has the same fond memories as Questron and other SSI games from my apple II days.
Thanks for posting Jon, share the love brother.