Any way of deleting Hours Played and Achievements on Steam?

John Lewis

May 14, 2012, 8:36:47 PM5/14/12
Is there any way of resetting the hours played and deleting any
achievements gained in Steam Single-player games? Uninstalling the
game does not appear to do it. Or do the Steam powers-that-be assume
that we are ever only going to play through a Single-Player game just
once?

John Lewis

Rin Stowleigh

May 14, 2012, 9:20:58 PM5/14/12
On Tue, 15 May 2012 00:36:47 GMT, john...@frontier.com (John Lewis)
wrote:
How would you record in-game time for games you bought on GOG or some
other way?

Just do that.

Problem solved.

Tim O

May 14, 2012, 10:17:06 PM5/14/12
Xfire tracks hours for lots of non-STEAM games, but that doesn't seem
to be what he's asking.

Rin Stowleigh

May 14, 2012, 10:38:35 PM5/14/12
On Mon, 14 May 2012 22:17:06 -0400, Tim O <timo56...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
There are probably a gazillion ways to log the execution time of a
Windows process, which is all Steam does. I know I didn't offer a
direct answer to his question (because I don't have one), I was
addressing the anti-Steam political embellishment he threw in for good
measure. Just because I know he likes it when I do that :)

John Lewis

May 15, 2012, 1:20:41 AM5/15/12
On Mon, 14 May 2012 21:20:58 -0400, Rin Stowleigh
<rstow...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why would I want to unless I wanted to do something useful with it?
The inability to USER--reset the time to zero makes it pretty useless
for game-replays, testing new/different strategies etc. etc....

As it is, the Steam time-recording is only useful for a first
play-through, otherwise a total irritant.

>Just do that.
>
>Problem solved.

Sorry, serious question.

Maybe your overriding interest in multiplayer games has blinded you to
this particular deficiency in the Steam implementation.

I like to go back and play SP games from scratch, maybe at a different
difficulty level and maybe a year after I first play them... or
perhaps I would like to restart a game (say, like Skyrim with a
different strategy or character). I don't mind Steam recording hours
played and achievements gained, but I would like full control of the
ability to nullify both at the beginning of a full game replay, SHOULD
I SO CHOOSE.

And your mention of GOG, brings me conveniently to Alan Wake and the
differences between the Steam and GOG versions.

In the Steam version, the current checkpoint and documents collected
are retained in the Steam Cloud - there are no obvious options to
delete the documents when (re)starting a "New Game", even at a
different difficulty level.

In the case of the GOG version, this saved info is kept on the
computer hard-disk - trivial to find and completely delete should the
owner of the game so choose.

I suppose the Steam general SP game philosophy is that Valve "owns"
the game and you are borrowing it. Once you have finished it, no need
to delete any of the stored info, no need to replay at a different
time or a different difficulty level.....your money is spent and your
time is up, and you can't pass it on to a third-party anyway.

John Lewis

Rin Stowleigh

May 15, 2012, 2:09:00 AM5/15/12
On Tue, 15 May 2012 05:20:41 GMT, john...@frontier.com (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 May 2012 21:20:58 -0400, Rin Stowleigh
><rstow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 May 2012 00:36:47 GMT, john...@frontier.com (John Lewis)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any way of resetting the hours played and deleting any
>>>achievements gained in Steam Single-player games? Uninstalling the
>>>game does not appear to do it. Or do the Steam powers-that-be assume
>>>that we are ever only going to play through a Single-Player game just
>>>once?
>>
>>How would you record in-game time for games you bought on GOG or some
>>other way?
>
>Why would I want to unless I wanted to do something useful with it?
>The inability to USER--reset the time to zero makes it pretty useless
>for game-replays, testing new/different strategies etc. etc....
>
>As it is, the Steam time-recording is only useful for a first
>play-through, otherwise a total irritant.
>

>>Just do that.
>>
>>Problem solved.

Steam time recording has never been touted as a useful feature for the
gamer -- unless things have changed, and unless I am making some
assumptions based on the games I'm aware of, Steam only records the
amount of time the process is running.

The original purpose of tracking gameplay time through Steam was more
of a benefit to the game vendor, added value to them for using the
Steam service. But, if the number is available anyway, why not make
it visible to the player as well? Allowing them to reset it implies a
feature other than the original intent. It wouldn't do the game
vendor much good if the player could reset the number as if they've
never played.

The Steam feature is NOT an idealway to time your participation in the
game. If you alt-tab out and leave the game running in pause mode,
the process is still running and (at least the last time I checked)
counts as gameplay time.

The best way to time your gameplay is to use the feature of the game
when supported, and ask game vendors to implement it where it doesn't
exist. If you're okay with the Steam method (process run time), there
are utilities that will log execution time of a process and you would
have full control over it.

I can understand you wanting to time your game, I just don't see why
you decided to add this to your anti-Steam rants. In some games, you
will have an in-game feature that shows proper gameplay time, not just
process running. In games that don't have that, you have a process
run timer through Steam, with the knowledge it doesnt really track
gameplay time. So if the game doesn't support built-in timing stats,
what is the loss if Steam doesn't do it to your liking? You wouldn't
have it at all if you bought some other way?

If you just want to know process execution time across all games,
there are different ways to go about that. If you wanted to get
really creative, get a Logitech gaming keyboard that has the LCD
display -- something like the G510 (it can detect which game is
running via the profiler), and write a lua script or applet that
displays your stats right there on your keyboard. You could even make
it so that if a key has not been pressed in 5 mins or whatever, the
time logging goes into pause mode. It would be a more effective timer
than Steam, whatever you did.

As far as achievements, I know officially Valve doesn't support
resetting them. I have not seen a comment regarding whether they ever
plan to support this. Achievements are also used for metrics tracking
by the vendor (intel on how users are playing the games, where they
spend the most time, etc), so I suppose the thinking is that allowing
reset would thwart this benefit. I personally would not care one way
or another if they wanted to include a reset feature, I just think the
game vendors would. Your option, if you choose not to bitch about the
way Steam does things, is to just buy on GOG or whatever where you
have no achievements at all.

>Sorry, serious question.
>
>Maybe your overriding interest in multiplayer games has blinded you to
>this particular deficiency in the Steam implementation.

That's an ignorant supposition. You highlighted a feature of Steam
that most other game distribution mechanisms don't have, then bitched
about Steam's implementation of it. Then you danced around, avoiding
answering my question of how you would normally record the time in a
game

>I like to go back and play SP games from scratch, maybe at a different
>difficulty level and maybe a year after I first play them... or
>perhaps I would like to restart a game (say, like Skyrim with a
>different strategy or character). I don't mind Steam recording hours
>played and achievements gained, but I would like full control of the
>ability to nullify both at the beginning of a full game replay, SHOULD
>I SO CHOOSE.

>And your mention of GOG, brings me conveniently to Alan Wake and the
>differences between the Steam and GOG versions.
>
>In the Steam version, the current checkpoint and documents collected
>are retained in the Steam Cloud - there are no obvious options to
>delete the documents when (re)starting a "New Game", even at a
>different difficulty level.
>
>In the case of the GOG version, this saved info is kept on the
>computer hard-disk - trivial to find and completely delete should the
>owner of the game so choose.

Funny, you are now contradicting what Remedy themself has said just a
few days ago... that GOG has no infrastructure to support something
like Steam achievements:

http://community.remedygames.com/showthread.php?p=150536

>I suppose the Steam general SP game philosophy is that Valve "owns"
>the game and you are borrowing it. Once you have finished it, no need
>to delete any of the stored info, no need to replay at a different
>time or a different difficulty level.....your money is spent and your
>time is up, and you can't pass it on to a third-party anyway.

I suppose you can probably read just about anything you want into any
scenario you choose... life's a bitch I guess when you're looking at
everything through Valve-Hate-Goggles.

DMP

May 15, 2012, 6:36:00 AM5/15/12
Actually, I haven't been able to find the answer either.

I have restarted Deus-Ex HR using different tactics and I wanted my
achievements "reset" if you will and I couldn't figure it out. I had
some problems and actually totally uninstalled and reinstalled the game,
restarted and the achievements from the last play through were still
there, so I can't actually tell what I've earned on replay.

Unless I'm mistaken play time is not the issue being questioned. I don't
care what my playtime is.....

Diane

Rin Stowleigh

May 15, 2012, 10:29:27 AM5/15/12
Whenever you have a Steam related question, the best place to look is
http://support.steampowered.com, unless the question relates more to a
specific game on Steam, in which case you'll usually have better luck
in the forums for that game (which are accessible through the Steam
client, or also at http://forums.steampowered.com).

For example:

"Unfortunately, achievements can not be reset at this time."

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4462-UIOB-0425

DMP

May 15, 2012, 12:39:08 PM5/15/12
Thanks.....I went to the steam forums and perhaps didn't ask the
question with the correct terms, but couldn't find what I was looking
for. I must admit, however, to not "googling".

I am a bad, bad person. :-)

Diane

Ross Ridge

May 15, 2012, 2:48:50 PM5/15/12

DMP <non...@nodomain.com> wrote:
>I have restarted Deus-Ex HR using different tactics and I wanted my
>achievements "reset" if you will and I couldn't figure it out. I had
>some problems and actually totally uninstalled and reinstalled the game,
>restarted and the achievements from the last play through were still
>there, so I can't actually tell what I've earned on replay.

Steam achievements (like Xbox 360 achievements and PlayStation 3 trophies)
aren't supposed to be specific to any particular playthough. Generally
speaking if an acheivement requires something like killing 100 guys then
it doesn't matter if you do it one playthrough, or two or a hundred.
You can even keep reloading the same saved game and kill first guy you
meet over and over to get an acheivement like that.

I've even seen achievements that require multiple playthroughs to get.
That's not counting the achievements that looks like they require
multiple playthroughs (eg. one for the good ending, and one for the bad
ending) but can be acheived by simply reloading near the end and making
different choices. They aren't ment to represent the accomplishments
of one single progression through the story of the game, but over the
entire lifetime of the game.

>Unless I'm mistaken play time is not the issue being questioned. I don't
>care what my playtime is.....

As far Steam's idea of playtime, it's pretty bogus anyways. Time spent
in the initial menu screen before you've started or loaded a game counts
as playtime to Steam. If you're like John Lewis seems to be and want
to know the hours played in single playthough this is something that
game needs to keep track of on it own.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

John Lewis

May 15, 2012, 3:40:00 PM5/15/12
... and if not, why not ?

The user can certainly do that (either in-game or manually by simple
local file-deletion) with all PC SinglePlayer games not using
Steam-DRM or forced on-line storage ( some Ubisoft games).

This was really the core issue in my (on-reflection) clumsily titled
thread:-

"Any way of deleting Hours Played and Achievements on Steam"

John Lewis

Rin Stowleigh

May 15, 2012, 4:33:11 PM5/15/12
On Tue, 15 May 2012 19:40:00 GMT, john...@frontier.com (John Lewis)
wrote:

>... and if not, why not ?

This was already answered in your previous cross-post rant. Are you
having a mid-life crisis or something? Why post this again because
you didn't like the title? Clearly everyone understood what you were
asking.
Message has been deleted

Rin Stowleigh

May 15, 2012, 5:42:52 PM5/15/12
On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:11:46 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 May 2012 19:40:00 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, John Lewis
>wrote:
>No. If I gather what you're getting at, there is no way to make a used game
>into "like new" on Steam, for purpose of replay or resale. As usual, publishers
>hate the first sale doctrine, and are doing their best to undermine it. This is
>true on or off Steam.
>
>Your new target price for such titles, or at least for me, is $15. No more, and
>forget achievement based replay value for games storing these metrics, forcing
>cloud-saves, and/or forcing single-use SP registration.
>
>Achivements never did much for me anyhow. YMMV.
>
>I will not spend $60 to "lease" my SP games as a service. If the gaming market
>is so saturated with suckers that will do so, I am finding another hobby, going
>exclusively indy, or playing exclusively 3 year old, mega-hit titles on heavy
>discount. Such actions should change the industry in a way that makes it far
>less profitable, until they figure out why they are losing full-price 6-month
>after release sales, and realize that maybe it isn't all "piracy," but is tied
>to their lack of respect for the consumer.
>
>That price pretty much, as Rin will tell you, rules me out of the MP market,
>which is the only place where paying the $60 is justified (you're paying for an
>active community), but is becoming a greater and greater risk as any chance of
>reselling your title if it sucks (the last bastion of a normalized,
>quality-based consumer refund remedy) is dwindling to a limit of nil. MP
>customers are used to this, though. Paying a publisher for the quality of the
>community, and not entirely the game, is the norm. EA will crank out "new" MW
>titles to sabotage the previous MW community, while adding little to nothing to
>MP, for as long as we let it.

>SP customers should not tolerate it at that price level, IMHO. MP customers
>should be aware of the tactic of using barely improved sequels to devalue a
>previous title, and force them to pay again for essentially the same gameplay.
>From what I've heard of Battlefield 3, _they_ actually gave them a
>much-improved game for their money. MW3 looks like a cheap roster update for
>one of the Madden titles.

MW isn't an EA title, but yes it has become tiresome. But dispite the
fact it always draws a lot of players, never let anyone tell you that
the MW series typifies the multiplayer community. I cringe whenever I
see another MW title announced, only because I've come to expect what
amounts to a short unmemorable SP campaign and MP that offers a few
new maps, modes, slightly improved visuals over last year's edition,
but other than that same ole- same ole with regard to the franchise.
It shouldn't come as a surprise either, since Activision destroyed the
team that made the early games good.

Yes, Battlefield 3 is an immersive, visually astounding, quality
masterpiece. I've gotten an amazing amount of replay out of the
original $60 I spent, and the first map pack coming out next month is
at the top of my anticipated titles.

I think that SP-only gamers *should* be a little reluctant to shell
out $60 for a new title. However, in many cases $60 is the price for
both a single player campaign, cooperative options, and competitive
multiplayer. For gamers like me that potentially play all three, it's
not a bad deal if all turns out well.

The compelling reason to buy early, however, does no doubt dissipate
for SP-only gamers. Its easier to just wait a few months and pick up
a game at a big discount. However, by doing this, a message is
getting sent to the game vendors that more emphasis should be placed
on multiplayer and online play, since that will lure early buyers. Why
does this matter? It always comes back to the douchebag investors
that hold the purse strings. They would rather see 100,000 copies of
product sold in the first quarter after release at $50, then to see
sales drop off a cliff than to see 1,500,000 copies sold at $15 over
18 months. Not a very smart manner of thought, even at the simplest
level of beancounting douchebaggery. But, in all honesty, investors
and finance people are usually not particularly smart guys in my
experience in working with them. They look only at the things like
operating overhead over the next 18 months, and they'd rather take $5M
in the short term than to wait for longer term better profit that's
likely to arise as a result of better reviews upon release.

Add to that phenomenon the fact that MP games are almost unpiratable.
Singleplayer only games just look like risk to investors on the PC due
to all the TorrentKunts out there who have entitled themselves to not
pay for games at all.

>I don't play a lot of MP though, so I might be missing something.

Well you don't have to miss out completely. Tribes Ascend might be an
indication that the Free-To-Play business model has a future. It is
not a cutting edge game with a cutting edge engine (in fact I think it
looks antiquated), but its great multiplayer fun and they did
everything right from the consumer perspective. You can download the
game for free, play indefinately that way if you want, treating it as
an ongoing limited demo with no expiration date. If you want to spend
a little money on it you can. If you want to spend a lot of money you
can do that too. And, unlike so many F2P games, it's not crap, its
actually a worthwhile MP game.

Message has been deleted

Rin Stowleigh

May 15, 2012, 11:34:30 PM5/15/12
On Tue, 15 May 2012 22:00:54 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:42:52 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Rin
>Stowleigh wrote:
>
>>MW isn't an EA title, but yes it has become tiresome.
>
>How stupid of me. You can see how hooked into MP I am. ;^)
>
>EA is giving much better value with their Battlefield series, from what I've
>seen. Activision, not so much.

The whole EA and Origin client thing is beyond bad -- but BF3 is so
worth playing that I'm willing to tolerate it. Its a shame that they
ended up becoming DICE's pimp. Maybe one day they'll break free.

DMP

May 16, 2012, 6:07:30 AM5/16/12
Ross-

Thanks for the explanation of achievements via Steam. I had no idea they
worked that way. As a matter of fact, I am much the Steam newbie. I
stopped playing FO3 because of it(found it intrusive), but had to give
in because of Skyrim. Actually I had some technical issues with Steam
and I emailed support and someone actually answered. I found the games
saved feature is handy.

To carry this achievements discussion one step further, I did "google"
and found someone apparently wrote a Steam Achievements Manager and
there's a demo on YouTube. I don't know if it works, but it's not
something I'm going to try.

I am not particularly interested in time played, but am amazed at the
total hours I sit here.

Thanks again for your help.

Diane

Diane

Rin Stowleigh

May 16, 2012, 8:33:01 AM5/16/12
Good move, you would subject yourself to potential account ban by
doing so, because hacking their achievement system is in violation of
their EULA.

Anssi Saari

May 16, 2012, 5:06:51 AM5/16/12
DMP <non...@nodomain.com> writes:

> Thanks.....I went to the steam forums and perhaps didn't ask the
> question with the correct terms, but couldn't find what I was looking
> for. I must admit, however, to not "googling".

There is a suggestions forum too,
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Presumably this has been suggested before, but no harm in suggesting it
again.

Ross Ridge

May 16, 2012, 1:14:27 PM5/16/12
Anssi Saari <a...@sci.fi> wrote:
>There is a suggestions forum too,
>http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
>
>Presumably this has been suggested before, but no harm in suggesting it
>again.

I'm guessing that Valve, Microsoft and Sony are all very reluctant to
implement a way for users clear the record of acheivements/trophies from
their accounts. If you search for something like "reset achievements"
on the Web you'll see about as many people complaining that their
acheivements were somehow reset as people asking how to delibrately reset
them. If I were one of these companies I be worried that giving users
a way to do this would just result in a lot more support incidents from
people complaining that their achievements were "mysteriously" erased.