Top Ten Most Awaited Games

Grimfarrow

Sep 1, 2000, 12:36:07 AM9/1/00

Sep 1, 2000, 8:23:30 AM9/1/00

Sep 1, 2000, 9:28:32 AM9/1/00

Before you buy.

Bo...@usenet.net

Sep 1, 2000, 11:17:09 AM9/1/00
- Ultima Ascention
- Strike Commander
- Darklands
- Daggerfall

sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

But seriously the 3 that I am waiting on are:

- Wiz 8
- Pool of Radiance 2
- Arcanium

If I could get just one of em I would be a happy man...

- Boone

William

Sep 1, 2000, 12:23:41 PM9/1/00
(snip)

For me it's:

1. Wizards & Warriors
2. Wizardry 8
3. Pool of Radiance 2
4. Arcanum
5. Fallout: Tactics
6. Thief 3
7. Deus Ex 2

I can't think of three more right now... Maybe Black and White, but I
don't know how it's going to turn out.

William

Sep 1, 2000, 12:20:58 PM9/1/00
In article <39afc7d8....@news.mbnet.mb.ca>,

Bo...@usenet.net wrote:
> But seriously the 3 that I am waiting on are:
>
> - Wiz 8

Don't forget Wizards & Warriors. Just like Wizardry 8, except with a
publisher!

ter...@my-deja.com

Sep 1, 2000, 1:42:48 PM9/1/00
Freelancer
Wiz 8
W&W
PoR2
BG2
Dungoen Siege
Arcanum
Morrowind
Halo
Black and White

Bob Perez

Sep 1, 2000, 1:56:21 PM9/1/00
My only comment on these various lists is that, although Morrowind is
definitely on mine, in order to qualify for "Most Awaited" I would probably
have to update it to be something like "Morrowind after patch 1.07".

BP

Grimfarrow <grimf...@excite.com> wrote in message

Knight37

Sep 1, 2000, 2:44:24 PM9/1/00
Quoting willi...@my-deja.com (William) from Fri, 01 Sep 2000 16:23:41
GMT:
>For me it's:

RPGS:
1 Neverwinter Nights
2 Baldur's Gate II
3 Wizards & Warriors
4 Arcanum
5 Fallout: Tactics (arguably a Strategic..)
6 Pool of Radiance 2
7 Wizardry 8
8 Might & Magic IX
9 Dungeon Siege
10 The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

ACTION:
1 Halo
2 Max Payne
3 Oni
4 Tribes 2
5 Duke Nukem Forever
6 Team Fortress 2
(i couldn't think of any other ones)

STRATEGIC:
1 Freedom Force
2 Squad Leader
3 X-Com sequel
4 MOO3
5 B&W
6 RCT2
7 Warcraft3
8 Warlords 4
9 Space Empires 4
(might be forgetting something here)

ADVENTURE:
1 Monkey 4
2 Simon the Sorcerer 3D
(yep, that's pretty much IT.)

--

Knight37

"When you have to shoot, SHOOT, don't talk!"
-- Tuco, from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

freshie

Sep 1, 2000, 2:14:00 PM9/1/00
On Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:36:07 GMT, Grimfarrow <grimf...@excite.com>
wrote:

1. Neverwinter Knights
2. Tony Hawk Pro Skater II (dreamcast)
3. Arcanum
4. Baldur's Gate II
5. Jet Grind Radio (dreamcast)
6. Pool of Radiance: Myth Drannor
7. Shenmue (dreamcast)
8. Sega Sports NBA 2001 (dreamcast)
9. Throne of Darkness
10 FIFA 2001 (psx)

Julian Waldby

Sep 1, 2000, 3:02:05 PM9/1/00
Grimfarrow wrote:

> For me:
> 1. Wizardry 8
> 2. The Longest Journey

I thought The Longest Journey was already out. They've been talking
about it for some time over in c.s.i.p.g.adventure. I was thinking about
getting it, since people seem to think it's a very good adventure.

Julian

Grimfarrow

Sep 1, 2000, 3:30:25 PM9/1/00

Julian Waldby wrote:

> I thought The Longest Journey was already out. They've been talking
> about it for some time over in c.s.i.p.g.adventure. I was thinking about
> getting it, since people seem to think it's a very good adventure.
>
> Julian

Not in the US, it ain't. It can be imported, but I'd rather wait for a
proper release.

Grimfarrow

Noman

Sep 1, 2000, 4:05:31 PM9/1/00

You can find it in some stores in California. If you are in Bay
Area, CDAccess (in Santa Clara, I think) carries it. So does
InteractCD (Pasadena) in LA area.

Here's my top ten;

Crimson Skies
Marrowind
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Pool of Radiance 2
Fallout : Tactics
Escape from Monkey Island
American McGee's Alice
Anachronox
Simon the Sorceror 3D
Loose Cannon

--
Noman

Oddjob

Sep 1, 2000, 6:56:52 PM9/1/00
Bethesda Softworks' Morrowind
Eidos' Republic
Microprose's B-17 II
SSI's Harpoon 4
Lionhead's Black & White
..Maybe some online games depending on reviews....

That's only four but they're three definite buys.

Grimfarrow

Sep 2, 2000, 12:53:02 AM9/2/00

Noman wrote:

> Grimfarrow wrote:
> > Not in the US, it ain't. It can be imported, but I'd rather wait for a
> > proper release.
>
> You can find it in some stores in California. If you are in Bay
> Area, CDAccess (in Santa Clara, I think) carries it. So does
> InteractCD (Pasadena) in LA area.

LikeI said, I'd rather wait for a proper US release.

> Here's my top ten;
>
> Crimson Skies
> Marrowind

^^^^^^^^^^

?????

Is this a piece of bone flying inthe wind? ;)

Grimfarrow

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 1, 2000, 4:40:03 PM9/1/00
Alan Beaudoin wrote:

> 1. HOMM4
> 2. Morrowind
> 3. Max Payne
> 4. Half-Life sequel
> 5. Thief 3
> 6. Pool of Radiance
> 7. Neverwinter Nights
> 8. The next Ultima

Shouldn't that be moved to the other list? Origin will only make online
games now.

> 9. Sea Dogs
> 10. BG2
>
> Games I WISH they'd make...
> 1. System Shock 3
> 2. Master of Magic 2
> 3. Star Control 4
> 4. Colonization 2
> 5. Drakan 2
>
> Grimfarrow's cat walked on the keyboard and this got sent to
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg:

> ---
> There are 2 secrets to ultimate success:
> 1) Never tell everything you know.
> ---

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 1, 2000, 4:36:53 PM9/1/00

In no particular order.

1. Wizardry 8
2. Morrowind (although I won't buy it on release since I don't expect to
have the system for it until much later. Probably the same with wiz 8.
3. Divinity The swords of lies
4. Arcanum
5. Baldur's Gate 2
6. Wizards & Warrior
7. Age of Kings: The Conquerers. (If expansions are allowed)
8. Pool of Radiance 2 (demands 12 MB 3D card, only have a Riva 128)
9 Grand Prix 3 (yes it's out but I don't have it yet).
10. Neverwinter Nights.

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 1, 2000, 4:43:38 PM9/1/00
Bob Perez wrote:

> My only comment on these various lists is that, although Morrowind is
> definitely on mine, in order to qualify for "Most Awaited" I would probably
> have to update it to be something like "Morrowind after patch 1.07".
>
> BP

I actually believe that they will release it in a playable form this
time around. They can't afford to spend ages
patching it afterwards.

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 2, 2000, 7:26:00 AM9/2/00
Noman wrote:

> Grimfarrow wrote:
> >
> > Julian Waldby wrote:
> >
> > > I thought The Longest Journey was already out. They've been talking
> > > about it for some time over in c.s.i.p.g.adventure. I was thinking about
> > > getting it, since people seem to think it's a very good adventure.
> > >
> > > Julian
> >
> > Not in the US, it ain't. It can be imported, but I'd rather wait for a
> > proper release.
>
> You can find it in some stores in California. If you are in Bay
> Area, CDAccess (in Santa Clara, I think) carries it. So does
> InteractCD (Pasadena) in LA area.
>
> Here's my top ten;
>
> Crimson Skies
> Marrowind

I much rather get Morrowind instead.
AFAIK no one is making Marrowind.

Marcus J. Maunula

Sep 2, 2000, 7:49:30 AM9/2/00
1. Baldurs Gate II
2. Balurs Gate II (ok i really want it)
3. Arcanum
4. Neverwinter Nights.
5. JA2UB
6. Fallout Tactics
7. Stars Supernova Genesis
8. POTR2
9. Call of Cthulhu the CRPG (ok just dreaming)
10. uhm thats about it for now.

Marcus

"Grimfarrow" <grimf...@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 2, 2000, 8:11:45 AM9/2/00

A few games I forgot

Seadogs. And don't worry Bethesda is only the publisher.
Fallout: Tactics.

And the expansion to JA2 if they ever find a publisher.

Kevin Grey

Sep 2, 2000, 12:55:15 PM9/2/00
You may be waiting for a long time, maybe even forever, since they don't
have a publisher and it doesn't look like they'll get one anytime soon. Its
a great game and I would highly recommend getting it. In fact, if you order
it from a US online company like compuexpert or cdaccess its almost like
getting a us release. Plus, I doubt the US version will be any different
from the UK version. It isn't like the game isn't already in english and it
supports the latest graphic cards.

Kevin

"Grimfarrow" <grimf...@excite.com> wrote in message

Grimfarrow

Sep 2, 2000, 1:54:24 PM9/2/00

Kevin Grey wrote:

> You may be waiting for a long time, maybe even forever, since they don't
> have a publisher and it doesn't look like they'll get one anytime soon. Its
> a great game and I would highly recommend getting it. In fact, if you order
> it from a US online company like compuexpert or cdaccess its almost like
> getting a us release. Plus, I doubt the US version will be any different
> from the UK version. It isn't like the game isn't already in english and it
> supports the latest graphic cards.
>
> Kevin

It's been leaked that Dreamctacher will be distributing the game here.

Grimfarrow

Bob Perez

Sep 2, 2000, 2:50:26 PM9/2/00
I sure hope you're right, but after having played a lot of Bethesda titles
including each of the Elder Scrolls series as well as the Future
Shock/Skynet series. These were not encouraging experiences.

BP

Ykalon Dragon <yka...@softhome.net> wrote in message

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 2, 2000, 7:04:09 PM9/2/00
Bob Perez wrote:

> I sure hope you're right, but after having played a lot of Bethesda titles
> including each of the Elder Scrolls series as well as the Future
> Shock/Skynet series. These were not encouraging experiences.
>
> BP

They aim for having zero bugs. Not likely but they may get it more
stable than most games nowadays.

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 3, 2000, 2:02:04 PM9/3/00
Kevin Grey wrote:

> Really? Hadn't read that. Its good to know- the game deserves a chance,
> especially if they'll make sequels.

I think they have already started on the sequel.

Noman

Sep 5, 2000, 2:05:14 PM9/5/00

Grimfarrow wrote:

> Noman wrote:
>
> > Marrowind
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ?????
>
> Is this a piece of bone flying inthe wind? ;)

Don't know, this place might be close to Hammerfell.

But seriously this is the first time (in many years)
that I have noticed, it's not Marrowind. Thanks for
letting me know. Extra credits, for breaking the news
gently :)
--
Noman

Grimfarrow

Sep 5, 2000, 3:40:08 PM9/5/00

Noman wrote:

> Don't know, this place might be close to Hammerfell.
>
> But seriously this is the first time (in many years)
> that I have noticed, it's not Marrowind. Thanks for
> letting me know. Extra credits, for breaking the news
> gently :)
> --
> Noman

Well, considering the years of usenet arguments we've had,
I'm just tired of being critical of you ALL the time :) There
are always times for smiley faces!

BTW, You will probably like Sea Dogs. It looks very much
like a Redguard sequel with Pirates! thrown in. And I
*know* how much you like Redguard ;)

Grimfarrow

crp...@my-deja.com

Sep 5, 2000, 4:50:38 PM9/5/00
In article <jI5s5.3953$Fl2....@nntpserver.swip.net>,

"Marcus J. Maunula" <marc...@swipnet.se> wrote:
> 1. Baldurs Gate II
> 2. Balurs Gate II (ok i really want it)
> 3. Arcanum
> 4. Neverwinter Nights.
> 5. JA2UB
> 6. Fallout Tactics
> 7. Stars Supernova Genesis
> 8. POTR2
> 9. Call of Cthulhu the CRPG (ok just dreaming)
> 10. uhm thats about it for now.

My list:
1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. TES3: Morrowind
3. Arcanum
4. Neverwinter Nights
5. Pool of Radiance 2
6. Legends of Might and Magic(if not a Diablo2 clone)
7. Alternate Reality 2000 (Don't I wish!!!)
8. Deus Ex 2
9. Wizards and Warriors
10.Wizardry 8

P.S. I noticed nobody put Grimoire down yet :)

Noman

Sep 5, 2000, 7:19:11 PM9/5/00

Grimfarrow wrote:

> BTW, You will probably like Sea Dogs. It looks very much
> like a Redguard sequel with Pirates! thrown in. And I
> *know* how much you like Redguard ;)

Yes, I am looking forward to it but it has very
little in common with Redguard.

I hope they release its demo so I can see
whether the ship to ship combat is not unwieldy.
I am not sure how well it'd work in first
person perspective.

Anyway, an updated Pirates Gold game is always welcome.
--
Noman

Grimfarrow

Sep 5, 2000, 8:04:02 PM9/5/00

Noman wrote:

> Yes, I am looking forward to it but it has very
> little in common with Redguard.
>
> I hope they release its demo so I can see
> whether the ship to ship combat is not unwieldy.
> I am not sure how well it'd work in first
> person perspective.
>
> Anyway, an updated Pirates Gold game is always welcome.
> --
> Noman

It's made by the same team that made Redguard, from what I
gathered. I might be wrong though.

Grimfarrow

Todd Howard

Sep 5, 2000, 10:04:12 PM9/5/00
Actually that group is doing Morrowind...trust me :) . Sea Dogs is developed
by a Russian Developer, Akella. Check out the preview movie at our web-site.
The ship combat is really great. I was just playing it today. I sunk a few
pesky frenchies and then ran into some of my English pals who were busy
battling the French themselves (you start the game on the English side). I
saw them sink a small French ship and then I swooped in to nab the goods
left floating around from the wreckage. I haven't had a chance to play it
too much, but it's very cool. I'm not sure if there will be a demo soon or
not.

Okay so my top 10:

10. Dreamland Chronicles
9. Return to Wolfenstein (killing Nazis gets you in the top 10 by default)
8. Thief 3
7. Creative Assembly's next game (they did Shogun)
6. Neverwinter Nights
5. Arcanum
4. Escape from Monkey Island
3. Team Fortess 2
2. Star Wars Online
1. Morrowind (what did you expect?)

- t

Todd Howard
Project Leader: Morrowind
Bethesda Softworks

Kevin Grey

Sep 5, 2000, 10:38:06 PM9/5/00
Which puzzle?

Kevin

"David Trew" <dav...@hyperion716.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> If you're right, then that is good news. Quite enjoyable except for one
> puzzle in particular - drove me nuts trying to work it out.
> --
> David Trew

Led Mirage

Sep 5, 2000, 11:48:54 PM9/5/00
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 16:56:24 +0800, "Brian H."
<bh1234...@nospam.please.ismart.net> wrote:

>Did those games that used the X-Engine also suffer from the bugs?

Daggerfraud was the only game using the X-engine that has the "Void"
problem. Terminator Future Shock ran flawlessly on my machine, so did
X-Car (but the game is a complete piece of shit).

Led Mirage

Sep 5, 2000, 11:48:55 PM9/5/00
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 03:52:07 -0600, "Josh Whitt" <jwh...@webaccess.net>
wrote:

>I'm not sure, I didn't play them. Daggerfall was the first use of the
>X-Engine, though, so I'm sure the following games were a bit more refined in
>their utilization of the engine.

No it was not. Terminator Future Shock came out before Daggerfraud
(not surprisingly though, it also features an automap that is
completely useless). It didn't have nearly as many bugs as
Daggerfraud.

Hong Ooi

Sep 6, 2000, 3:54:37 AM9/6/00
On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:52:49 +1000, har...@harry48.com wrote:

>And you criticised me for revealing the truth about Pathesda, this
>guys revelation is music to my ears> And they had to lie by saying the
>void was a necessary part of the game!!

Just a hypothetical question Marcus, what will you do if Morrowind turns
out to be bug-free? Will you find some other game to latch on to? Don't
get me wrong, you're still a hideous troll, but you're an _amusing_
hideous troll. I'd hate to think you'll fade away for lack of a suitable
target.

--
Hong Ooi | "I used to use my real name many years ago. I
hong...@maths.anu.edu.au | got just as much disrespect then as I do now."

Bob Perez

Sep 6, 2000, 3:47:47 AM9/6/00
You're right about one thing, Terminator: Future Shock definitely suffered
from fewer bugs than Daggerfall. That's kind of like saying that Monica
Lewinski has had fewer dress stains than Linda Lovelace. As I recall, Future
Shock had lots of void problems too. In fact, I remember all the various
places I was able to specifically walk into the void and look around, was a
pretty interesting place. Also, we had hella problems staying connected in
that game's multiplayer mode. I have very little faith in Bethesda being
able to successfully write the first half of a "Hello World" program.

Let's hope Morrowind is different.

BP

Led Mirage <lmi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Slash

Sep 6, 2000, 6:57:21 AM9/6/00
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:47:47 -0700, "Bob Perez"
<b...@deletethis.bobperez.com> scribbled:

>You're right about one thing, Terminator: Future Shock definitely suffered
>from fewer bugs than Daggerfall. That's kind of like saying that Monica
>Lewinski has had fewer dress stains than Linda Lovelace. As I recall, Future
>Shock had lots of void problems too. In fact, I remember all the various
>places I was able to specifically walk into the void and look around, was a
>pretty interesting place. Also, we had hella problems staying connected in
>that game's multiplayer mode. I have very little faith in Bethesda being
>able to successfully write the first half of a "Hello World" program.
>
>Let's hope Morrowind is different.
>
>BP

I honestly do think that Morrowind could be a great game, as well as a
solid engine. Often times when an engine is buggy, you can pick out
little problems with screenshots. Overlapping polygons, texture
cracks, floating objects, etc...this held true for Daggerfall,
Redguard, Terminator: Future Shock, etc.. but the screenshots for
Morrowind I've seen so far look quite good, with none of the obvious
problems that the previous X-ngine games had. I'm not saying the games
were bad, just that they had problems like 'the void,' being attacked
through walls, etc..

-Slash
-- -- -- --
"The people on the internet know more about what I am doing than I do.
Like, they will say that I am going to be in this mall on this day and
sure enough I am there."
- Tori Amos, Dew Drop Inn Tour, 17-June-1996

Bob Perez

Sep 6, 2000, 9:08:54 PM9/6/00

Slash <sla...@geocities.com> wrote in message

> I honestly do think that Morrowind could be a great game, as well as a
> solid engine. Often times when an engine is buggy, you can pick out
> little problems with screenshots. Overlapping polygons, texture
> cracks, floating objects, etc...this held true for Daggerfall,
> Redguard, Terminator: Future Shock, etc.. but the screenshots for
> Morrowind I've seen so far look quite good, with none of the obvious
> problems that the previous X-ngine games had. I'm not saying the games
> were bad, just that they had problems like 'the void,' being attacked
> through walls, etc..

Good point, the screenshots do look pretty solid so far and we have that
firsthand account explaining some of the problems that the earlier games had
due to office politics. Well, I'm psyched and ready for a solid release.
I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

BP

Hong Ooi

Sep 7, 2000, 4:21:55 AM9/7/00
On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 18:01:50 +1000, har...@harry48.com wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 18:54:37 +1100, Hong Ooi
><hong...@maths.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>>Just a hypothetical question Marcus, what will you do if Morrowind turns
>>out to be bug-free? Will you find some other game to latch on to? Don't
>>get me wrong, you're still a hideous troll, but you're an _amusing_
>>hideous troll. I'd hate to think you'll fade away for lack of a suitable
>>target.
>
>Get real Pathesda release a bug free game, don't give me that
>bullshit.

That's a fair answer. :)

Astur il'Ayan

Sep 7, 2000, 8:31:56 AM9/7/00
In article <6qiersk3u0m5d1mie...@4ax.com>,
har...@harry48.com says...

> Get real Pathesda release a bug free game, don't give me that
> bullshit.

Looks like Marcus is using a new handle. How "creative."

--
Rob
rac...@austin.rr.com

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 7, 2000, 8:02:14 AM9/7/00

It's published by Bethesda but designed by Russian developer Akella who
in no way were involved with Redguard. All TES games are made inhouse at
Bethesda including Redguard.

Dale Beaver

Sep 7, 2000, 2:26:04 PM9/7/00

Take a look at the faq gleaned from various articles that have
alread appeared on gamespot and elsewhere:

http://morrowind.telefragged.com/mwfaq.shtml

As well as some of the topics on the Elder Scrolls Forum from the
official site. Looks well worth the Geforce 2 upgrade to me... :D

Bob Perez

Sep 7, 2000, 11:24:02 PM9/7/00

Dale Beaver <dal...@usit.net> wrote in message
> > http://morrowind.telefragged.com/mwfaq.shtml

Thanks for that resource! Checked it out tonight.

> As well as some of the topics on the Elder Scrolls Forum from the
> official site. Looks well worth the Geforce 2 upgrade to me... :D

I've got a GeForce II now so I'm ready, bring on the software!

The FAQ had some interesting questions and one caught my attention regarding
the extreme customizability of the keys. It always annoyed me that you
couldn't play Arena or Daggerfall keyboard only. You could navigate around
with the keys but when you got to a door you could only mouseclick on it,
there was no key to simulate a mouseclick or activate a door. So I'd always
have to take my hand off the keyboard and hit the mouse, then go back to the
keyboard. Annoying as hell and I sent numerous requests to the team for this
simple addition. No response and they never added it. Sigh.

I suppose with the new engine they'll support mouselook and I'll probably
adopt an entirely different style of play. If they don't, they damned well
better add a mousehit key! ;->

BP

Revok

Sep 8, 2000, 3:51:49 AM9/8/00

Bob Perez wrote in message <8p9lvt$vrc$1...@brokaw.wa.com>...

Ummm, Daggerfall did support mouselook - it was one of the customisation
options in the Mouse control screen.

>BP

Djutmose Buteamon

Sep 8, 2000, 10:22:01 AM9/8/00
I'm sure someone asked this already but . . .it's using the same engine
as Daggerfall as Redguard . .

Please tell me it's not DOS!!!

If so, someone tell Bethesda that Microsoft is planning to phase out DOS
support . . .

Dale Beaver

Sep 8, 2000, 4:59:26 PM9/8/00
On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:22:01 -0400, Djutmose Buteamon
<djut...@nac.net> wrote:

>I'm sure someone asked this already but . . .it's using the same engine
>as Daggerfall as Redguard . .
>
>Please tell me it's not DOS!!!
>
>If so, someone tell Bethesda that Microsoft is planning to phase out DOS
>support . . .

SNERK!!!

X-ngine has been retired once and for all. Morrowind is using
a state of the art engine that Bethsoft is being very tight lipped
about. HOwever, you are looking at DX 8, and all the nice goodies that
it supports (hardware T&L, f'r instance) Go to www.elderscrolls.com
and take a look at the screenshots they have released to date.

Nuff said.