BALDUR'S GATE 2----my Ode to Daniel Walker

freestone wilson

Feb 28, 2001, 9:04:29 AM2/28/01
hi everyone!

I was walking into electronics Boutique, the other day, and i went to look
at
their used game section and there was BALDUR'S GATE 2...the shadows of Amn
for
only $30. As i already have BG1 awaiting and the reviews are SO SO good,
for
BG2...i bought it.
When i got home and opened the box to take a look at what weighed the box
so, as this here box seemed to weigh about "ten pounds", I found a *very*
thick and detailed MANUAL! A real game manual! not on the cd and thus i
can
actually refer to it as i play the game.

However......

when i opened the very first page to take a look at this book, there was an
introduction, there, on the flyleaf.
---a "obituary-dedication to Daniel Walker, who was the guiding
light[something like that] for this game". they dedicated the BG2, to Him!

now folks, i can not remember exactly what this dedication said.....but it
told how this handicapped/disabled very very creative Soul, who joined
Bioware
just before the work of BG1 was undertaken, was the Guiding Spirit for all
the
members of the development team and of how his Spiritual Zen-like
soul-abilities was an Inspiration for all of the rest of the development
team....for both Baldur's Gates. he only lived a year or three, until after
BG2 was done...this was his "Swan Song"...this BG2!
I wish i could remember to quote the exact words of this Honorarium
article;
they were so touching!
Here this person, in spite of this sufferings, did SO much of the creative
work, on the Gates, and did it with such a wonderfully Spirit-filled manner,
and was an inspiration for all of the rest of the members of the development
team.

right there, folks, i am Sold on the baldur's gate games!! right then, as
read that honorarium to Daniel Walker, I knew that these Gate series of
games
are something very very special!
I have BG1 and BG2. even though i prefer the first or third person games
over
"top down" or 3/4 view games....from this Dedication article, alone....[why
even if i never never seen one review about the games or even knew how good
they were: why from this ONE little article, i KNOW that there is something
wonderfull buried within BG1 and BG2]...I Know that there is Something
Special
here, and i hope to be able to play these two games for QUITE a long while!
[if directX7, on my machine, will let me play BG1!!]

freestone

freestone wilson
Live an Incredible Life

freestone wilson

Feb 28, 2001, 9:07:59 AM2/28/01

Amarok

Feb 28, 2001, 12:49:31 PM2/28/01

yes, but on the other hand just the introduction was so much
self-praising like BG was nothing, but the best of all RPGs ever and
the sequel would be better in all ways and for sure the best RPG of
the year.. well, this took away just all sympathy which just grew...
meaningful person never talk about themselve or even how great they
are or their work has been, especially, if the game is just out.

Amarok

Htn963

Feb 28, 2001, 6:00:31 PM2/28/01
Amarok wrote:

>yes, but on the other hand just the introduction was so much
>self-praising like BG was nothing, but the best of all RPGs ever and
>the sequel would be better in all ways and for sure the best RPG of
>the year.. well, this took away just all sympathy which just grew...
>meaningful person never talk about themselve or even how great they
>are or their work has been, especially, if the >game is just out.

Must you desecrate a man's memory with your cynicism? I would not have
expected this from one who generously gave of himself to spread the good word
about SK2. The dedication was on page 2 and the introduction was on page 4,
and neither made explicit references to the other.

Amarok

Mar 1, 2001, 2:38:02 AM3/1/01

He didn't write the introduction and we are talking about the
"special" of the development team. Freestone said that the game must
be something special if they write such a dedication and I don't agree
on that if the introduction is like that. My opinion about Daniel
Walker or the dedication is something else.

Maybe I'm too emotionless here and just look at the (non-existing)
facts, but actually I appreciated the dedication as well, just that I
didn't come to the same conclusion as Freestone because of "see
above".

Amarok

ze...@tampabay.rr.com

May 20, 2018, 11:51:36 PM5/20/18
OMG talk about necro'ing a post! I love how old this is and I am going to reply to it over 17 years later ROFL. I actually was playing through BGII, again, and came across a PDF of the game manual in the game folder and decided to look up Daniel Walker Bioware on Google and this is what I found...

trevor...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2019, 6:55:47 PM6/10/19
And I thought that my necro-post would have been bad! It's amazing how many years later, we can be so touched.

RIP David

hex...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2020, 12:02:25 AM3/9/20
PEACE AND FANTASY 4 EVER!!!

Ryan C

Aug 6, 2021, 1:41:28 AM8/6/21
I have to add to this chain because I found a PDF of the manual as well and ended up here. I was moved by the dedication to Daniel Walker as well and looked it, finding this. It was amazing looking back at the original post and responses, seeing how people responded to the game at the time it came out. I'm currently playing through BG1 as I had never completed it even though I played it many times over the years as a kid. I finally beat BG2 a couple years ago and decided to finally play through the entirety of BG1. I miss the old Bioware and hope Dragon Age 4 and any new Mass Effect games turn out good! If anyone sees this in the future and those games are out, please respond! Cheers everyone!