How do I find more game time.

Mike U

May 29, 2002, 4:44:41 PM5/29/02
My biggest game problem these days is time.

I finally built the computer I've always wanted, it just screams. I've got
dozens of games I want to play. Morrowind in particular looks like it is
only going to reward a significant time investment. I've got a nice
broadband connection, another decent computer for Lan games. I find my game
time limited to an hour or two a night max (the time between my daughter's
bed time and my bed time), in this time I can't manage much, I find myself
firing up a game like serious sam II, that is mindless, and I know I'll at
least get some return for my short time investment. I wish I had my current
setup, current set of games, arround the same time I was playing Ultima IV
on a Mac 512k for days uninterupted.

I'm thinking I could take a vacation, and stay home to play games. The
problem here is that my wife will want me to spend time with her and my
daughter during this vacation, so I may as well stay at work. Or mabye I
could take a vacation not tell my wife and go somewhere with my computer
during the day, but where to go that has a broadband connection, and anyway
my wife will likely notice me crating my computer out the door every day.

Paula and John

May 29, 2002, 5:00:51 PM5/29/02
> I find my game
> time limited to an hour or two a night max (the time between my daughter's
> bed time and my bed time), in this time I can't manage much,

Wow. If only I could have an hour or two a day for game time. I get an hour or
two every two to three weeks! I am really having a hard time finding time to
play these days.

Paula

JWB

May 29, 2002, 5:08:13 PM5/29/02
"Paula and John" <joh...@pics.net> wrote in message

Ugh... I don't mean to sound negative, but why so little free time? Is the
stuff you're doing *really* that important?

JWB

R. Cohen

May 29, 2002, 10:53:36 PM5/29/02
"Mike U" <murquiola@ No Spam.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:<3cf53db4$0$21677$724e...@reader2.ash.ops.us.uu.net>...

1 to 2 hours a night isn't that bad actually. You can accomplish a
lot actually. You make not be able finish all the games you want to,
so just decide to concentrate on one or two and enjoy them.

You should still spend time with your wife and daughter, taking a trip
out of town to play computer games doesn't really make sense. What
you need is to get your wife to give you the extra time for your
hobby.

foamy

May 29, 2002, 10:58:47 PM5/29/02
In article <a140b0ad.0205...@posting.google.com>,
rlcc...@aol.com (R. Cohen) wrote:

>You should still spend time with your wife and daughter, taking a trip
>out of town to play computer games doesn't really make sense.

Exactly. That doesn't make any sense at all. He should send the
wife and kid out of town. Any grandparents or long lost relatives
living far away who would love to have your family visit ?

Jim

Bob Perez

May 30, 2002, 12:08:19 AM5/30/02

"foamy" <fo...@telus.net> wrote in message

> >You should still spend time with your wife and daughter, taking a trip
> >out of town to play computer games doesn't really make sense.
>
> Exactly. That doesn't make any sense at all. He should send the
> wife and kid out of town. Any grandparents or long lost relatives
> living far away who would love to have your family visit ?

LOL! I shouldn't laugh, I'm working that plan myself right now. Wife and
kids are going back east to visit the in-laws. I can't make it, of course,
because things are so busy at work ...

- Bob Perez

Eep²

May 30, 2002, 12:30:39 AM5/30/02
You should've thought about this before you got married and had a kid. Now you're paying for it for the rest of your life. Welcome to hell. Enjoy your stay. ;P

NightSky 421

May 30, 2002, 1:16:43 AM5/30/02
"Mike U" <murquiola@ No Spam.mediaone.net> wrote in message

Ahh, it's largely for these reasons that I love the single life. If I ever
did get married, it would have to be to a gamer, and I definitely don't want
any kids.

Trygve Høgebøl

May 30, 2002, 4:10:23 AM5/30/02
NightSky 421 wrote:

> Ahh, it's largely for these reasons that I love the single life. If I ever
> did get married, it would have to be to a gamer, and I definitely don't want
> any kids.

Kids don't neccessarily cramp your lifestyle. I got my son into crpg's and
strategy games even before he started school, and today he is a complete wreck
just like his proud father. :)

--
Trygve

freestone wilson

May 30, 2002, 9:01:56 AM5/30/02
"Mike U" <murquiola@ No Spam.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:<3cf53db4$0$21677$724e...@reader2.ash.ops.us.uu.net>...
> My biggest game problem these days is time.
>
> I finally built the computer I've always wanted, it just screams. I've got
> dozens of games I want to play. Morrowind in particular looks like it is

I find that today no one has any time!
I find that the more creative and Intelligent the person is, the less
time that he has free: i read that even kids today have most of their
time pre-set by their parents.

Some one in Ithaca, new york, once told me....
"freestone, i can tell if a person is not committed to life, very
easily"!
"how" i asked?
"tis easy....see if he has a friend! if he does, that means that he
has extra time on his hands and thus is not committed to life!"

people laugh a bit when i tell them this story, but a nervious laugh!!

freestone

R. Cohen

May 30, 2002, 10:07:48 AM5/30/02
Eep˛ <eepN...@tnlc.com> wrote in message news:<3CF5AACE...@tnlc.com>...

> You should've thought about this before you got married and had a kid. Now you're paying for it for the rest of your life. Welcome to hell. Enjoy your stay. ;P

Oh geesh it's not that bad. In fact having a family is great. Kids
are much more entertaining then watching tv. You just need a way to
figure out how to give your wife her "quality" time AND convince her
that her "letting" you play computer games is all part of being the
"good" wife.

Bill Seurer

May 30, 2002, 10:45:53 AM5/30/02

Last night I came inside from working out in my yard for 3 hours and my
daughter come down from her room. "Hey Dad, I finished all my homework,
can we go play some Morrowind?" She likes to sit with me while I play
and offer suggestions on what to do (and witty criticisms when I screw
up). Now my son is starting to do this too and they argue over who gets
to help dad.

Kids are great! :-)

- Bill at seurer.net
http://www.seurer.net

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 11:08:12 AM5/30/02
The Good, The Bad, and "JWB" <jwb3333remove...@excite.com>
said:

Right! Quit that job, that's a HUGE time sink that's really not very much
fun to begin with. And the family? They are really just a burden, they are
not acretive to gaming bliss. Dump 'em.

--

Knight37

Demon Lady: I'll swallow your soul!
Ash: Come get some.
-- "Army of Darkness"

Paula and John

May 30, 2002, 11:19:32 AM5/30/02

> Kids are great! :-)

Yes, they are. My 4-year-old daughter loves to sit on my lap and "help" me
play my games. My 13-year-old son likes to play my games by himself. I have
had to threaten him severely :-) not to tell me what goes on if he gets ahead
of me (which he usually does because he has lots more time than me and
resorts to walkthroughs and hints much quicker than I will). My daughter
also has lots of computer games of her own that she will sit and play on our
older computer which is just next to my computer and, of course, my son has
PS, Dreamcast, Nintendo, etc. So, it really isn't my kids that keep me from
gaming very often. Just life.

Paula

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 11:11:46 AM5/30/02
The Good, The Bad, and frees...@yahoo.com (freestone wilson) said:

> I find that today no one has any time!
> I find that the more creative and Intelligent the person is, the less
> time that he has free: i read that even kids today have most of their
> time pre-set by their parents.

I think there is something wrong with the Earth. It's revolving too
quickly.

--

Knight37

"For the words of the profits are written on the studio wall,
Concert hall!
--- Echoes with the sounds...
Of salesmen. Of salesmen! Of SALESMEN!"
-- Rush "The Spirit of Radio"

Gerry Quinn

May 30, 2002, 11:16:18 AM5/30/02
In article <3CF64304...@pics.net>, Paula and John <joh...@pics.net> wrote:

>> Kids are great! :-)
>
>Yes, they are. My 4-year-old daughter loves to sit on my lap and "help" me
>play my games.

Probably at least as helpful as a cat doing the same thing!

- Gerry Quinn

chy...@ludens.elte.hu

May 30, 2002, 9:13:24 AM5/30/02
In article <bbe87731.02053...@posting.google.com>, frees...@yahoo.com (freestone wilson) writes:
> "Mike U" <murquiola@ No Spam.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:<3cf53db4$0$21677$724e...@reader2.ash.ops.us.uu.net>...
>> My biggest game problem these days is time.
>>
>> I finally built the computer I've always wanted, it just screams. I've got
>> dozens of games I want to play. Morrowind in particular looks like it is
>
> I find that today no one has any time!
> I find that the more creative and Intelligent the person is, the less
> time that he has free: i read that even kids today have most of their
> time pre-set by their parents.

Well, I have a lot of free time. A lot. And I consider myself
to be a creative and intelligent person (don't we all). T
trick is, I think, to not let other people's expectations
worry you.

In my case, this can lead to not finishing college, and
quite possibly a future life of relative poverty, but ATM,
I feel it's worth it. Maybe I'm just young.

The point is, everyone has a choice. And everyone has time,
lots of it. If you say "I don't have any free time", that
just means you'ree spending all your time with things you
don't enjoy doing. I find that sad.

Read Momo, by Michael Ende.

Chyron
--
It is good to have an end to journey towards,
but it is the journey that matters in the end.

none

May 30, 2002, 11:23:34 AM5/30/02
"Bob Perez" <b...@DELETETHISplanetperez.com> wrote:

Why is this discussion taking place right now? Because it just happens
my wife and two kids are going to meet her parents for a week tomorrow
morning...

I already have my plans ready how to change the living room for that
week, e.g. moving the sofa and TV closer, moving my Playstation and PC
(notebook) near to the couch, just today filled my beer reserves etc.

Unfortunately this will be a working week for me, but I guess I'll be
leaving the office at 16:00 sharp every day (if not earlier).

none

May 30, 2002, 11:25:22 AM5/30/02
Eep˛ <eepN...@tnlc.com> wrote:

>You should've thought about this before you got married and had a kid. Now you're paying for it for the rest of your life. Welcome to hell. Enjoy your stay. ;P

Go to hell, Creeper. At least my kids love computer and video games
too, so in the future they'll probably be good gaming buddies of me.
Maybe I'll build a LAN at home to play Counterstrike with them...

JWB

May 30, 2002, 11:55:03 AM5/30/02
"Knight37" <knig...@email.com> wrote in message

well, let's be honest. If work/kids leaves you with 1-2 hours free every
other week, you've made bad choices. If you work more than 40 hrs a week...
well, it's your life. Stay late at the office. I'm going home.

JWB

AlexM

May 30, 2002, 12:15:24 PM5/30/02
"Mike U" <murquiola@ No Spam.mediaone.net>
> My biggest game problem these days is time.

I tried to solve it.
I hooked my wife and daughter to play computer games.
I don't have to justify my playing time, but we all play Morrowind now
and compete for computer time.
So, I don't have much time to play too. There is no perfect solution.
Alex

Paula and John

May 30, 2002, 12:26:26 PM5/30/02

> I tried to solve it.
> I hooked my wife and daughter to play computer games.
> I don't have to justify my playing time, but we all play Morrowind now
> and compete for computer time.
> So, I don't have much time to play too. There is no perfect solution.
> Alex

Computers for everyone?

Charles Frederick Goodin

May 30, 2002, 12:52:17 PM5/30/02
In article <3cf53db4$0$21677$724e...@reader2.ash.ops.us.uu.net>,

Mike U <murquiola@ No Spam.mediaone.net> wrote:
>My biggest game problem these days is time.

Yeah, same here!

>I'm thinking I could take a vacation, and stay home to play games. The
>problem here is that my wife will want me to spend time with her and my
>daughter during this vacation, so I may as well stay at work.

Man, that just sucks doesn't it! Having to spend time with your family.
How horrible.

--
chuk

Charles Frederick Goodin

May 30, 2002, 12:55:16 PM5/30/02
In article <3CF63B21...@seurer.net>, Bill Seurer <Bi...@seurer.net> wrote:
>> Kids don't neccessarily cramp your lifestyle. I got my son into crpg's
>> and strategy games even before he started school, and today he is a
>> complete wreck just like his proud father. :)
>
>Last night I came inside from working out in my yard for 3 hours and my
>daughter come down from her room. "Hey Dad, I finished all my homework,
>can we go play some Morrowind?" She likes to sit with me while I play
>and offer suggestions on what to do (and witty criticisms when I screw
>up). Now my son is starting to do this too and they argue over who gets
>to help dad.
>
>Kids are great! :-)

Yeah, they are. As soon as I get home from work, my four year old
daughter meets me at the door and says "Let's play Harry Potter!" It'll
be great when she's older and likes better games. (My son mostly likes
Super Smash Brothers, but he can be convinced to a little Freedom Force
every once in a while -- he just turned nine.)

--
chuk

Charles Frederick Goodin

May 30, 2002, 12:53:26 PM5/30/02
In article <3CF54183...@pics.net>,

It's a priority thing. If other stuff (usually family and work) is more
important to you than gaming, then, yeah, you're not gonna have as much
time. But just think -- the kids will grow up in less than twenty years,
and just imagine how cool the PC games will be then!

--
chuk

Paula and John

May 30, 2002, 1:15:47 PM5/30/02

> It's a priority thing. If other stuff (usually family and work) is more
> important to you than gaming, then, yeah, you're not gonna have as much
> time. But just think -- the kids will grow up in less than twenty years,
> and just imagine how cool the PC games will be then!
>
> --
> chuk

It is a priority thing and my kids definitely take priority over games. Maybe that
has something to do with age. :-) But, you're right. The kids will grow up and I
will have lots of time for games then. For now, I will just enjoy it when I do get
the chance.

Paula

Lucian Wischik

May 30, 2002, 1:41:07 PM5/30/02
Paula and John <joh...@pics.net> wrote:
>The kids will grow up and I will have lots of time for games then. For
>now, I will just enjoy it when I do get the chance.

Yeah! Won't it be great when we can retire and spend all our time playing
computer games!

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. www.wischik.com/lu

NightSky 421

May 30, 2002, 1:51:44 PM5/30/02
Heh, OK guys, I get the hint. :-) I guess there are always exceptions
where the kids (and spouse) like to get involved with games. Not that I
want kids myself, but it's cool that there have been some very positive
experiences relayed here with kids getting involved with games.

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 2:09:14 PM5/30/02
said:

> well, let's be honest. If work/kids leaves you with 1-2 hours free

> every other week, you've made bad choices.

Bad is relative. Also choices are sometimes not. ;)

> If you work more than 40
> hrs a week... well, it's your life. Stay late at the office. I'm going
> home.

Lets see.

HRS TASK
1 get dressed/ready
1 drive / bus ride to work
8 work
1 lunch break
1 drive / bus ride home
1 dinner
2 clean up / some chores / bills / whatever
8 sleep
--
23

Yes, I can see how someone could only have 1 - 2 hours a day worth of free
time for games. Without working extra long hours. That's pretty much my own
predicament. Even without the kids. Some nights I can get in up to 4 hours
if I skimp on one of the other areas, of course, like SLEEP. ;P Of course,
some nights I spend doing other things besides gaming, which drives the
average back down... anyone with a family will have other commitments.

--

Knight37

Jesus never instituted a charity ball where, amid the voluptuous swell of
the dance, the rustle of silks, the sparkle of diamonds, and the stimulus
of wine and women dressed decolleté, he could dissipate his love for the
lowly.
-- anonymous 19th Century cleric

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 2:16:53 PM5/30/02
The Good, The Bad, and chy...@ludens.elte.hu said:

> The point is, everyone has a choice. And everyone has time,
> lots of it. If you say "I don't have any free time", that
> just means you'ree spending all your time with things you
> don't enjoy doing. I find that sad.

Yes, everyone has choices, and sometimes you must make sacrifices in the
short term doing something you do not want to do in order to get something
you want in the long term. I don't call that sad, I call it smart.

FWIW, on your note about college, I once thought as you did. I ended up
going back and getting my degree later on in life. I'm not sure I actually
regret having spent my "free" time on things other than classes. I have
some regrets on some things, but certainly not all regrets. But in the end,
college was worth the time, effort, and sacrifice. Having a degree has more
than paid for itself for me in the long run. And it wasn't all bad. :)

--

Knight37

i still recall the taste of my tears
echoing your voice just like the ringing in my ears
my favorite dreams of you still wash ashore
scraping through my head 'till i don't want to sleep anymore
-- Nine Inch Nails, "something i can never have"

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 2:17:43 PM5/30/02
The Good, The Bad, and none <no...@nowhere.com> said:

> Unfortunately this will be a working week for me, but I guess I'll be
> leaving the office at 16:00 sharp every day (if not earlier).

Got any sick days left? ;)

--

Knight37

Agent Smith: We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start.
All that we're asking in return is your cooperation in bringing a known
terrorist to justice.
Neo: Yeah. Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may
have a better one. How about, I give you the finger... and you give me my
phone call.
-- "The Matrix"

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 2:18:44 PM5/30/02
The Good, The Bad, and none <no...@nowhere.com> said:

I think he was trying to be funny. Key word: trying. :)

Bill Seurer

May 30, 2002, 2:22:45 PM5/30/02
Knight37 wrote:
> 1 drive / bus ride to work
> 1 drive / bus ride home

Good grief, move closer to work or get a job closer to home. I live 15
minutes from work and that's considered a long way where I live.

EPK

May 30, 2002, 3:25:43 PM5/30/02

> Some nights I can get in up to 4 hours
> if I skimp on one of the other areas, of course, like SLEEP. ;P Of
course, > some nights I spend doing other things besides gaming, which
drives the
> average back down... anyone with a family will have other commitments.

I missed some of this thread, but it seems people may be missing the
most-used multitasking technique: sleeping and being at work at the same
time! Leaves all night open for gaming.

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 3:46:57 PM5/30/02
The Good, The Bad, and Bill Seurer <Bi...@seurer.net> said:

> Knight37 wrote:
>> 1 drive / bus ride to work
>> 1 drive / bus ride home
>
> Good grief, move closer to work or get a job closer to home. I live 15
> minutes from work and that's considered a long way where I live.

I take it you don't live in a major US city? Or perhaps you're just lucky
(heh, either way and you're lucky ;P). Hour commutes aren't all that
abnormal in modern Suburbia Amerika, and certainly not where I live. I read
books on the bus. At least I don't have to drive it every day.

Lets see...

1. Move closer to work.

This is simply, not an option. We have a relatively new house with a large
mortage and we likely could not get what we owe on it with the current
market conditions, so we're more or less stuck where we are. That, and my
wife is only 15 minutes away from HER job. I will give you 2 guesses as to
which one of us is going to have to commute? ;P

2. Get another job closer to home.

I have considered this, but most of the higher paying and most importantly
STEADY programming jobs in my area are centrally located (i.e. downtown or
near downtown). The job market in my area is not as great now as it was pre
Y2K. In fact, you might say it rather sucks. Not to mention that I've got
great benefits where I work now, and I like it. A known "semi-evil" is a
lot better than an unknown in my book. Certainly it would be great if I
could find a job that paid the same or more, had less commute, and had the
same benefits, doing something I liked to do, at a company that is doing as
well as the one I currently work at. That would be wonderful. Not always
possible, though. I admit I've not really spent much time looking, but I've
got friends who are and I'm not hearing a lot of great news.

--

Knight37

"I've never seen so many men wasted so badly."
-- Blonde, from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

JWB

May 30, 2002, 4:02:45 PM5/30/02
"Knight37" <knig...@email.com> wrote in message

Yes, that makes sense. The one thing I'd do, given your schedule, is to cut
lunch out and leave work an hour earlier. Of course, some anal companies
won't let you do this. I also forget that many require 8 hrs sleep. I get
6-7, which is all I need or want, but I'm not everyone ;)

but the person I originally responded to said she only gets 1-2 hours every
other *week* free. Meaning even her weekends are taken up by... whatever.

JWB

Knight37

May 30, 2002, 4:32:13 PM5/30/02
said:

> Yes, that makes sense. The one thing I'd do, given your schedule, is

> to cut lunch out and leave work an hour earlier. Of course, some anal
> companies won't let you do this. I also forget that many require 8 hrs
> sleep. I get 6-7, which is all I need or want, but I'm not everyone ;)

I actually end up getting 6-7 hrs sleep and catch up on the weekends. ;)

Also I can't cut out lunch, my "leave" time is pretty much fixed. Besides,
cut out LUNCH?! AYFKM?!! I want to stay (relatively) SANE!!! ;)

> but the person I originally responded to said she only gets 1-2 hours
> every other *week* free. Meaning even her weekends are taken up by...
> whatever.

Ah. Well, yes, that would make gaming a pretty unrealistic hobby. :)

For some reason I thought you were refering to the OP's 1-2 hrs/day.

If I only had 1-2 hrs every other WEEK, I'd just sell the consoles and the
computer. Why bother? That's only 26-52 hours of gaming per YEAR. Basically
time enough to finish maybe ONE game per year. I guess if I already had the
hardware I'd keep ONE platform and just buy one game each Christmas. And it
most likely would not be the PC, since after only 2 games or so it would be
outdated. :)

--

Knight37

I can hear your soul crying
Listen to your spirit sighing
I can feel your desperation
Emotional deprivation
Let yourself go
-- Depeche Mode, "Freestate"

JWB

May 30, 2002, 7:21:16 PM5/30/02

> The Good, The Bad, and "JWB" <jwb3333remove...@excite.com>
> said:
>
> > Yes, that makes sense. The one thing I'd do, given your schedule, is
> > to cut lunch out and leave work an hour earlier. Of course, some anal
> > companies won't let you do this. I also forget that many require 8 hrs
> > sleep. I get 6-7, which is all I need or want, but I'm not everyone ;)
>
> I actually end up getting 6-7 hrs sleep and catch up on the weekends. ;)
>
> Also I can't cut out lunch, my "leave" time is pretty much fixed. Besides,
> cut out LUNCH?! AYFKM?!! I want to stay (relatively) SANE!!! ;)

I dunno why I suggested that to you - because I was the same way - I had to
leave the job for an hour and go out to eat. I'd go crazy if I didn't.

> > but the person I originally responded to said she only gets 1-2 hours
> > every other *week* free. Meaning even her weekends are taken up by...
> > whatever.
>
> Ah. Well, yes, that would make gaming a pretty unrealistic hobby. :)
>
> For some reason I thought you were refering to the OP's 1-2 hrs/day.

nah, 1-2 hours a day is realistic for many of us. Hell, currently, I work at
home and have no kids (just a wife), and many days, I don't get 1-2 hours of
playtime.

JWB

Martin Scriblerus

May 31, 2002, 12:55:21 AM5/31/02
"NightSky 421" <nightsky4...@excite.com> wrote in message

You can't know you don't want kids until you have them. <g>

RadScorpion31

May 31, 2002, 3:22:32 AM5/31/02

:
: Yeah! Won't it be great when we can retire and spend all our time playing
: computer games!
:

Retirement homes with LAN parties!! Game on grandpa!!

Lucian Wischik

May 31, 2002, 8:03:42 AM5/31/02
Knight37 <knig...@email.com> wrote:
>Also I can't cut out lunch, my "leave" time is pretty much fixed. Besides,
>cut out LUNCH?! AYFKM?!! I want to stay (relatively) SANE!!! ;)

Then play at lunchtime!

I don't play at all, normally. Then I get a game and spend five days solid
on it until I've completed it. Just a few times a year.

Knight37

May 31, 2002, 10:08:18 AM5/31/02
The Good, The Bad, and ljw...@cus.cam.ac.uk (Lucian Wischik) said:

> Knight37 <knig...@email.com> wrote:
>>Also I can't cut out lunch, my "leave" time is pretty much fixed.
>>Besides, cut out LUNCH?! AYFKM?!! I want to stay (relatively) SANE!!!
>>;)
>
> Then play at lunchtime!

Not possible for me, unfortunately.

> I don't play at all, normally. Then I get a game and spend five days
> solid on it until I've completed it. Just a few times a year.

I generally don't have 5 solid days to devote to anything except possibly a
vacation somewhere far, far away from my computer. :)

Sometimes I will devote an entire weekend to a new hot game that really
strikes my fancy. I remember once taking a 5 day "weekend" to get my fill
of Roller Coaster Tycoon. Damn that game was addictive.

--

Knight37

"Groovy."
-- Ash, "Army of Darkness"

Hartmut Schmider

May 31, 2002, 12:36:07 PM5/31/02
"NightSky 421" <nightsky4...@excite.com> writes:

> Ahh, it's largely for these reasons that I love the single life. If I ever
> did get married, it would have to be to a gamer, and I definitely don't want
> any kids.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that...

Regards, Hartmut

Ykalon Dragon

May 31, 2002, 5:10:08 PM5/31/02
On 30 May 2002 18:17:43 GMT, Knight37 <knig...@email.com> wrote:

>The Good, The Bad, and none <no...@nowhere.com> said:
>
>> Unfortunately this will be a working week for me, but I guess I'll be
>> leaving the office at 16:00 sharp every day (if not earlier).
>
>Got any sick days left? ;)

I feel sorry for you Americans. Here in Sweden we get payed 365 days
of the year if we happen to be sick that long. We don't "run out of"
sick days.

--
I think that God got a sick sense of humor and
when I die I expect to find him laughing"

Bill Seurer

May 31, 2002, 5:16:11 PM5/31/02
Ykalon Dragon wrote:
> I feel sorry for you Americans. Here in Sweden we get payed 365 days
> of the year if we happen to be sick that long. We don't "run out of"
> sick days.

That depends on where you work, here. I don't get any "sick days" where
I work and can take off what time I need. It actually works out that
employees in such places usually use LESS sick time.

Crimson

Jun 1, 2002, 2:23:51 AM6/1/02
I had the pleasure of working in Europe (London and Germany) for a few
months last year for my last company. I was surprised to learn that
Europeans in the company got 6 weeks of paid vacation (excluding sick time)
to start while the US only got 2 weeks to start, 3 weeks after 5 years...and
10 days of sick leave. Americans pay a heavy price for their edge in
productivity and thriving economy (relative to most of the world). My new
US company offers 3 weeks of vacation but no sick leave. Sucks to be me.

Crimson

"Bill Seurer" <Bi...@seurer.net> wrote in message

none

Jun 1, 2002, 3:53:24 AM6/1/02
Ykalon Dragon <yka...@softhome.net> wrote:

>>Got any sick days left? ;)
>
>I feel sorry for you Americans. Here in Sweden we get payed 365 days
>of the year if we happen to be sick that long. We don't "run out of"
>sick days.

But you have to be sick for real, or then you must have a friendly
doctor who is willing to give you a false proof of sickness.

In many countries, I think also in Germany, you have certain amount of
sick days to use per months or year. At least in Germany many workers
seemed to use these allocated sick days to the full, ie. calling it
sick even if they weren't. People treated them as allocated holidays.

Ps. I think US workers are also compensated by 2-3x higher wages and
much lower taxes too, so they can even afford to stay home without
pay. :)

none

Jun 1, 2002, 3:58:52 AM6/1/02
"Crimson" <Cri...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I had the pleasure of working in Europe (London and Germany) for a few
>months last year for my last company. I was surprised to learn that
>Europeans in the company got 6 weeks of paid vacation (excluding sick time)
>to start while the US only got 2 weeks to start, 3 weeks after 5 years...and
>10 days of sick leave. Americans pay a heavy price for their edge in
>productivity and thriving economy (relative to most of the world). My new
>US company offers 3 weeks of vacation but no sick leave. Sucks to be me.

Did you check the salaries people get? At least in higher educated
areas, US workers have a huge edge on them.

My colleagues in US (Mountainview) must be making 2-3 times that I am
getting practically for the same work, but then I do have five week
vacation + more 'bank holidays' too, and hardly ever work over 8
hours/day or weekends. I would be willing to do that though if I got
their salary and low taxes. :)

Ykalon Dragon

Jun 1, 2002, 11:41:50 AM6/1/02

Yes Americans generally makes more money but prices are generally
steeper too. For an example a Pizza here costs $5 but from what I've
heard it costs $10 in America.

Ykalon Dragon

Jun 1, 2002, 11:43:43 AM6/1/02
On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 10:53:24 +0300, none <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Ykalon Dragon <yka...@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>>Got any sick days left? ;)
>>
>>I feel sorry for you Americans. Here in Sweden we get payed 365 days
>>of the year if we happen to be sick that long. We don't "run out of"
>>sick days.
>
>But you have to be sick for real, or then you must have a friendly
>doctor who is willing to give you a false proof of sickness.

You don't need a certificate until day 8. I must admit many take
advantage of the system. They are sick a week, work one day and when
call in sick again.

Xocyll

Jun 1, 2002, 2:45:01 PM6/1/02
"RadScorpion31" <n...@email.here> looked up from reading the entrails of

Does Parkinson's count as "twitch" gaming?

Xocyll

Robert Norton

Jun 1, 2002, 3:00:16 PM6/1/02
Ykalon Dragon <yka...@softhome.net> wrote in

> I feel sorry for you Americans. Here in Sweden we get payed 365 days
> of the year if we happen to be sick that long. We don't "run out of"
> sick days.

I'm an American, and I can't run out of sick days either! I don't get any.
:-(

RadScorpion31

Jun 2, 2002, 2:29:08 AM6/2/02

"Knight37" <knig...@email.com> wrote in message
:

I believe I changed the RCT icon on my desktop to "Crack Pipe".

Eep²

Jun 2, 2002, 5:36:27 PM6/2/02
What, did he miss the smiley? Sheesh...

Tarald Holm

Jun 3, 2002, 8:35:42 AM6/3/02
On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:41:50 +0200, Ykalon Dragon wrote:

> Yes Americans generally makes more money but prices are generally
> steeper too. For an example a Pizza here costs $5 but from what I've
> heard it costs $10 in America.

And about 20$ here in Norway..
Don't know how the wages compare, but I pay about 33% income tax, the
general VAT is 23%, and things like petrol and alcohol are taxed insane
amounts. (A pint of beer runs you 5$)

Lets just check my numbers here...
All exchange rates from www.xe.com
1 EUR Euro = 7.43406 NOK
1 USD United States Dollars = 7.98496 NOK
1 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 11.6208 NOK

A "Normal, yet well payed computer job" pays about 300K NOK, which
translates to aprox. $37 900 or £25 800.

A pint of beer is about 40 NOK, so thats about $5, or £3,50

Now, take into consideration that the Norwegian Kroner is very strong
right now... It's usualle 13 to the UK£.. so a long term estimate of £4
for a pint is realistic.

Just wanted some sympathy from you all....
--
Tarald - The Lord of Smeg
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

Trygve Høgebøl

Jun 3, 2002, 9:57:26 AM6/3/02
Tarald Holm wrote:

You've got it :-) (from a fellow Norwegian though)

--
Trygve

Bill Seurer

Jun 3, 2002, 1:23:08 PM6/3/02
Ykalon Dragon wrote:
> For an example a Pizza here costs $5 but from what I've
> heard it costs $10 in America.

Cost $10 **WHERE** in America? America is quite large and very diverse
despite what you may think. Prices for many things vary wildly
depending on where you live in America. A "pizza" (simple cheese) costs
about $6 where I live but might cost $20 in San Francisco or New York.
A house that easily fetchs $500,000 in San Francisco probably wouldn't
get $60,000 where I live.