Ambermoon for PC ?

Message has been deleted

Paul

Nov 11, 2001, 3:32:01 AM11/11/01
On 10 Nov 2001 20:10:02 -0800, zot...@my-deja.com (Zothen Runecaster)
wrote in message <fcd76a9e.01111...@posting.google.com>:

>Ambermoon is the sequel to Amberstar (1992 , Thalion)
>
>Does a PC version exist of these game ? It was released in 1993 by
>Thalion , but only for Commodore AMIGA.They also programmed a MS DOS
>and an ATARI ST version , but Thalion died early 1994.
>
>Somebody told me , that the PC version was finished and there should
>be some
>versions for publishers/press etc.
>
>I never found a PC version , no abandonware-site has it.
>
>The programmers left Thalion and did "Albion" (Blue Byte) , released
>in 1995.
>
>The 3rd "Amberstar" game was never released , I don´t think they ever
>started programming it (Amberstar was planned as a trilogy).

See http://www.mobygames.com/game/trivia/gameId,464/ for some related
info to the development of Albion.

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Ken Rice

Nov 11, 2001, 12:17:44 PM11/11/01
In article <fcd76a9e.01111...@posting.google.com>,
zot...@my-deja.com says...

>Ambermoon is the sequel to Amberstar (1992 , Thalion)

>Does a PC version exist of these game ? It was released in 1993 by
>Thalion , but only for Commodore AMIGA.They also programmed a MS DOS
>and an ATARI ST version , but Thalion died early 1994.

>Somebody told me , that the PC version was finished and there should
>be some versions for publishers/press etc.

>I never found a PC version , no abandonware-site has it.

>The programmers left Thalion and did "Albion" (Blue Byte) , released
>in 1995.

>The 3rd "Amberstar" game was never released , I don´t think they ever
>started programming it (Amberstar was planned as a trilogy).

In my search for Ambermoon over the years, I have never found a PC version.
There are both German and English versions for the Amiga, and they can be
played on the PC with an Amiga emulator. You can download Ambermoon, and
Amberstar, and supporting materials at the site below.

The most and best information about Ambermoon, including a download for the
game, is at:

http://www.cus.org.uk/~alexh/games/ambermoon/ambermoon.html

which is part of the Thalion web shrine at:

http://www.cus.org.uk/~alexh/noframes.html

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

Peter Olafson

Nov 13, 2001, 2:42:59 PM11/13/01
Only the Amiga version was released by Thalion, and then only in German.
(The English version was released later, I believe, in a repackaging with
Amberstar by Epic Marketing.)

IIRC, an IBM version of Ambermoon was planned (I'm not sure about an ST
version), but Thalion shut down without releasing it. I'm semi-sure it
wasn't finished. :-<

Peter

"Zothen Runecaster" <zot...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Ambermoon is the sequel to Amberstar (1992 , Thalion)
>
> Does a PC version exist of these game ? It was released in 1993 by
> Thalion , but only for Commodore AMIGA.They also programmed a MS DOS
> and an ATARI ST version , but Thalion died early 1994.
>
> Somebody told me , that the PC version was finished and there should
> be some
> versions for publishers/press etc.
>
> I never found a PC version , no abandonware-site has it.
>
> The programmers left Thalion and did "Albion" (Blue Byte) , released
> in 1995.
>
> The 3rd "Amberstar" game was never released , I don´t think they ever
> started programming it (Amberstar was planned as a trilogy).
>

> ZR

Alexander Holland

Nov 15, 2001, 12:10:57 PM11/15/01
> Ambermoon is the sequel to Amberstar (1992 , Thalion)

Sure is, written by Karsten Koeper and Jurie Horneman, with loads of
other people.

> Does a PC version exist of these game ?

No, the PC coders (Gino Fehr and Frank Ussner) got as far as doing the
2D parts and stopped. They did promise to send me what they had done
but like a lot of things I never got it.

They told me it was programmed in a mixture of ASM and Pascal!

> It was released in 1993 by Thalion , but only for Commodore AMIGA.

Correct.

> They also programmed a MS DOS and an ATARI ST version

Incorrect, they told me Michael Bittner did the original 3D texturemap
technology demo on the Atari ST, but it was just a quick demo and
wasnt a game.

The MS DOS version as mentioned above did begin (as the PC market was
much stronger than the ST) but never finished.

> but Thalion died early 1994.

I dont know the exact date but the last build of Ambermoon English
(that I have seen) was dated something like "23 March 1994" so you may
be correct. And it didnt die persay more like everyone who could write
games left.

> Somebody told me , that the PC version was finished and there should
> be some versions for publishers/press etc.

Who told you that?

> I never found a PC version , no abandonware-site has it.

I dont believe it exists, but no-one left after the "abandon-ship" can
tell me what happened. The CD32 versions of The Seven Gates of Jambala
and Chambers of Shaolin were done AFTER everyone left. As was the
"never released" X-fighter.

> The programmers left Thalion and did "Albion" (Blue Byte) , released
> in 1995.

Cool game, I have been told it was originally started on an Amiga
A1200 and you can get a demo of the dungeon (3d) levels done in AGA.
(see the aminet).

> The 3rd "Amberstar" game was never released , I don´t think they ever
> started programming it (Amberstar was planned as a trilogy).

Correct. Since the writers no-longer owned the copyrights to the
Amberstar Trilogy they had to do Albion.

Alex Holland
Webmaster
Thalion Webshrine