Diablo: Killing Skeleton King?

Kuang-Ting Chong

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

James Bass wrote:

> I finally killed him by myself (level 12 rogue). I filled my belt with
> healing potions and positioned myself in front of a staircase so I could make
> a run for it. After beating on him and using all of my potions I run up/down
> the stairs and portal back to town to refill...

Big mistake. Monsters will regenerate if you leave the dungeon.

IMHO, the best way to kill the Skeleton King is to use a blunt weapon
such as a mace. The blacksmith says that a mace is the most effective
weapon against skeletons. Or you can cast Holy Bolt to take him out.

In multiplayer game, try to lure the Skeleton King away from his army of
skeletons. Then corner/surround him and finish him off with mace and
Holy Bolt.

Neal and Laura Manson

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

What am I missing?

- Neal

fred

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

>What am I missing?

>- Neal

I waited till I was about 8th level and used a flame axe on
him....also stock up on Full healing potions....I needed about 5 of
them.

James Bass

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

In article <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>, ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura Manson) ranted on and on about:
: )How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or
: ) is
: )he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
: )fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
: )connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
: )
: )What am I missing?
: )
: )- Neal

I finally killed him by myself (level 12 rogue). I filled my belt with
healing potions and positioned myself in front of a staircase so I could make
a run for it. After beating on him and using all of my potions I run up/down

the stairs and portal back to town to refill. It took about 15 mins but I got
his ass. After his dead you get his Great Ax. Also be sure to identify any
objects before you sell them, you get more $$$$.

Jimmy

James Bass
jhb...@servtech.com
http://www.servtech.com/public/jhbass

WARNING: MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN ALTERED TO PREVENT UNWANTED EMAIL.
REMOVE ASTERISK FROM BEGINNING OF ADDRESS TO REPLY BY E-MAIL.

Matthew Conway

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

In article <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>, ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura Manson) wrote:
>How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is

>he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

I got Diablo yesterday, and explored fully (I think) every dungeon down to
level 7, and I don't remember fighting something this hard to kill!!!

What am _I_ missing? Where do I get the Skeleton King quest, and where do I
find the Skeleton King? Thanks,

Matt

degreeAbsolute

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW!!

First of all, I don't know if there are other ways to get the quest,
find the Skeleton King, etc... this is just how I did it.

I found the Skeleton King's tomb by using a small entraceway from the
third level. It doesn't look like stairs, but it does bring to you a
different level (you see the level loading screen).

I also found him EXTREMELY difficult to kill, until I started firing
Holy Bolts at him. Even though I was a Rogue, and only had a level
one proficiency with the spell, it only took like 10 hits (which I
fired off in quick succession!).

Hope that helps.

degreeAbsolute

Desslock

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

--
My 6th level Wizard easily whipped him - just rapid fired a dozen or so
holy bolts at him.

No problems.

Amanaman

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

I beat the skeleton King with a 3rd or 4th level Rogue. I had the "BEAR"
bow. Everytime it hits him, it knocks him back a bit. It wasen't easy,
but I did it on the 1st try.

Amanaman

Lora Hunsaker

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

Try casting the Holy Bolt spell until you can't casr it any more. It worked
for me. He is tough, though. It took me about 5 tries before he went down.

Lorraine
Rogue Level 14

Neal and Laura Manson <ne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>...

Greg Legowski

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

In article <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>,

Neal and Laura Manson <ne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
>he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

I dunno. Try building yourself up more. My brother and I (7th level mage and
10th level fighter, respectively) just took care of him. Both of us pitched
tons of Holy Bolts at him, and then I bashed him to death with a Jagged Mace.
Used 1 full heal potion in the process since I was keeping the SkelKing from
hitting the mage ;-)

The tons of archers around him were what made it hard. Take care of them
(more holy bolts), then recharge and go for him. Worked for us...
--
Greg Legowski http://www.lm.com/~gregleg/
So we're just in this maze for now, trying to figure out if that glint in

Chris

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

On Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:45:01 GMT, ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura
Manson) wrote:

>How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
>he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
>

>What am I missing?
>
>- Neal

I simply kept healing potions handy on the hot keys then used holy
bolt on him until he fell. I used a bow also and seemed to have no
problem after softening him up with the holy spells.

Flood

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Neal and Laura Manson (ne...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
: he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
: fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
: connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

: What am I missing?

: - Neal

It's funny reading this thread, as I didn't have much problem with
him at all with my Warrior; just bum-rushed the archers, got in there and
wailed on him. I never really detected a blow landing, there was too much
going on all around... but he went down.
Someone mentioned getting a great axe from him, but I missed
this, and got the Undead Crown instead, which was fine with me! (AC 8
plus Life Stealing)

Brian E. Coleman

Brad.Wright

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

In article <5ap502$m...@news1.voicenet.com> fr...@voicenet.com (fred) writes:

fred> ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura Manson) wrote:
>> How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or
>> is he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>> fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>> connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

>> What am I missing?

>> - Neal

fred> I waited till I was about 8th level and used a flame axe on him....also
fred> stock up on Full healing potions....I needed about 5 of them.

When talking about the KING I think it is important to mention if you are
playing single or multi player. In the single player he was mediocre and
re-animated skeletons. In the multi-player he is a real pain. I'm level
11 and can't even touch him yet.

Brad
| Brad Wright | Yep, these are | "It's a small mind who |
| Symbios Logic | ALL MY OPINIONS | can think of only one|
| 2001 Danfield Ct | | way to spell a word"|
| FtCollins CO 80525 |Brad....@Symbios.com| |
| (970)223-5100 x9200 | bwr...@ix.netcom.com | -Twain |
|_________________________|___________________________|___________________|

V. A. Dumatol

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

I am playing a Sorcerer in multiplayer and have used the holy bolt successfully.
Have you gotten any other quests besides the Butcher and Skeleton King in
Multi-player?

Jason Wallace

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Neal and Laura Manson <ne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>...

> How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just
> us, or is he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times
> with level 6 fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It
> doesn't sound like we're connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces
> and clubs).

I took him out (as a warrior) at 5th level using a mace. It sounds
like your Dex must REALLY suck (I think I had a 40 Dex and a 50 Str when
I took him out...) Remember, healing potions are a GOOD thing.

--
Jason
E...@DarkElf.reno.nv.us

MOEMT

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

I killed him with approximately a 6th level warrior, using Holy Bolts,
mostly. Just lure him away from the other skeletons into an isolated room,
so it's just mono e mono

VNM DEVSUP

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

>> When talking about the KING I think it is important to mention if you
are
playing single or multi player

Absolutely! I believe the original poster is talking multi. The same w/
the Butcher, they're both much tougher in multi-player games. Someone
mentioned that the Skeleton King went down w/ 10 holy bolts, this is way
off from the multi Skeleton King which took about 15-20 holy bolts and
about 30? hits from a warhammer (5-9) damage. That's *hits*, not
including misses.

Robert Camp

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

On 5 Jan 1997 05:11:02 GMT, "Lora Hunsaker" <huns...@erinet.com>
wrote:

>> How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us,
>or is
>> he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>> fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like
>we're
>> connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

On one game I played, he didn't even show up. But I have had the best
success on big bad guys like him by using the Stone Curse spell. Just
cast the spell and hack like hell. That has worked with much badder
guys than him in later episodes, though I admit that he is a bad guy
to deal with.

RC

Morgan

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Skeleton King is a joke, just use holy bolts, he dies in 2 secs

Morgan the Mad Rogue

Morgan

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Holy Bolts use Holy Bolts

> Neal and Laura Manson <ne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
> <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>...
> >
> > How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just
> > us, or is he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times
> > with level 6 fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It
> > doesn't sound like we're connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces
> > and clubs).

Sean Kelly

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

In article <19970106225...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, vnmd...@aol.com (VNM DEVSUP) wrote:
>Absolutely! I believe the original poster is talking multi. The same w/
>the Butcher, they're both much tougher in multi-player games. Someone
>mentioned that the Skeleton King went down w/ 10 holy bolts, this is way
>off from the multi Skeleton King which took about 15-20 holy bolts and
>about 30? hits from a warhammer (5-9) damage. That's *hits*, not
>including misses.

Yow! How can you get off that many spells against the guy in single player
anyway? There are so many things around that I usually ended up getting hit
before the spell got off. Luckily, I was playing a warrior, so I just hacked
the sucker to bits with the cleaver :). Takes a few healing potions,
though... What do people think of the 4-player limit in multi?

-Sean

Mario Robaina

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

In article <32d151ad...@news.dnai.com> the...@dnai.com (Robert Camp) writes:
>On 5 Jan 1997 05:11:02 GMT, "Lora Hunsaker" <huns...@erinet.com>
>wrote:
>

>>> How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us,
>>or is
>>> he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>>> fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like
>>we're
>>> connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).

Two Words: Holy Bolt

Later,

Mario

--
sprm...@netcom.com

V. A. Dumatol

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Most of you people are talking about single player mode which is a totally
different and EXTREMELY easy game compared to multi player. Try playing it in
Multi-player with direct connection and just by yourself (It does work) and see
if you can take him out with your suggested tactics. For you who know what I am
talking about when I said I take him out with Holy Bolts I was much higher level
than I would have been in single player mode.

Vic,

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:07:19 GMT, ser...@netcom.com (Flood) wrote:

>Neal and Laura Manson (ne...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
>: he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>: fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>: connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
>

>: What am I missing?
>
>: - Neal

Biju Mathai

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

In article <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>, ne...@ix.netcom.com, while
playing Civ2, exclaimed:

> How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
> he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
> fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
> connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
>
> What am I missing?

Don't waste your time with anything other than the Holy Bolt
spell. A few hits from this will destroy him. Try to build
your character up, too. I thought the Butcher was harder to
kill than the Skeleton King. I was level 12 or 13 sorceror
before I went after either one, though, so I dunno how it'll
be for you. =)

SnowDog

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Our group found him impossible for a long time too, but once we were above
level 10, we had an easy time of it with holy bolts. Basically, two
fighters protected the sorceror and bashed minions, while the sorceror
fired off holy bolts non-stop. He died rather quickly, actually, compared
to before. Must have been the holy bolt being higher level.

--
Keep it simple: as simple as possible, but no simpler.
-Albert Einstein

Ron Lincicum

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Biju Mathai (bma...@texas.net) wrote:
: In article <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>, ne...@ix.netcom.com, while
: playing Civ2, exclaimed:
: > How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
: > he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
: > fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
: > connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
: >
: > What am I missing?
: >

I was beginning to think I was an idiot. Both were REAL tough. The Butcher
was just a matter of getting hits in. Somebody left a firewall idea, but I
couldnt get the book, and the scroll lasts about 5 seconds. Anyway at lvl
11 I can stand toe to toe with the butcher no prob, get an okay item and
feel good about it. He kicked my butt when I tried at lvl 6. Be wary of
what these posts say. They Skel King is a nightmare. Myself and two mages
found ourselves in a large room when a barrage of arrows starts flying
in...and hitting. We all react by burying the source in holy bolts, when
MR Ugly shows up. He moves fast, he opens doors, and he hits hard. One
mage ran the wrong way, and pretty much got pincushioned. The other mage
ran with me, I opened a town portal and escaped to regroup. We stocked
up and jumped back through. Since I opened the portal I hadto be the last
on back through. By the time I got in, I saw one swing and the mage bought
it. Just me and Mr Ugly. I tried to get some distance but he was too fast,
so we went at it, Holt bolts and swords against that bigass axe. I was on
my last leg when he keeled. Another portal to town for supplies, to start
the rescue mission(Corpse Retrieval).
The axe did up to 30 damage and you need an 80 str to use it..sold
it for 5k for supplies to get the mages resurrected. What happened to the
cleaver the butcherhad in the demo, he hasokay stuff now, but nuthing like
that +10 str monster cleaver. What makes the Skel king so dangerous, is he
doesnt stay penned up till you are ready. And he has a couple dozen
archers with him. Then next time I went to lvl three, he was right by the
stairs...

HawkWing

/> Ron Lincicum
/< Ron_Li...@hp.com
[\\\\\\(O):::<=================================-
\< Site Services Engineer
\> Hewlett Packard

Mike Weldon

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

In article <5b146s$6...@herald.concentric.net> Ta...@cris.com (Ron Lincicum) writes:
> The axe did up to 30 damage and you need an 80 str to use it..sold
>it for 5k for supplies to get the mages resurrected. What happened to the
>cleaver the butcherhad in the demo, he hasokay stuff now, but nuthing like
>that +10 str monster cleaver. What makes the Skel king so dangerous, is he
>doesnt stay penned up till you are ready. And he has a couple dozen
>archers with him. Then next time I went to lvl three, he was right by the
>stairs...

Everything is much much much harder in multiplayer. So much so that
the single-player game almost seems boring in comparison. In the
multiplayer game, if you can't cast several holy bolts, the Skeleton
King = many grisly deaths. Last night my friends and I played until
we found him. After a long a fruitless attempt to kill him I finally
ran down the stairs to level 4, then cast a portal so my friends could
avoid him.

Mike

clay...@charleston.net

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

On Sat, 04 Jan 1997 13:22:24 -0500, Kuang-Ting Chong
<ktc...@pop.uky.edu> wrote:

>James Bass wrote:
>>

>> I finally killed him by myself (level 12 rogue). I filled my belt with
>> healing potions and positioned myself in front of a staircase so I could make
>> a run for it. After beating on him and using all of my potions I run up/down

>> the stairs and portal back to town to refill...
>>

>Big mistake. Monsters will regenerate if you leave the dungeon.
>
>IMHO, the best way to kill the Skeleton King is to use a blunt weapon
>such as a mace. The blacksmith says that a mace is the most effective
>weapon against skeletons. Or you can cast Holy Bolt to take him out.
>
>In multiplayer game, try to lure the Skeleton King away from his army of
>skeletons. Then corner/surround him and finish him off with mace and
>Holy Bolt.
I have rogue character and did it a different way.Fired arrows and
Lightning spells through lowered steel gate till skelleton king got
po'd and tried to get me.He came up to otherside of gate and I blasted
him repeatedly(Holy Bolt).John

Donald L. Anglin

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Well I couldn't find the 'holy bolt' till I was pretty much cleaning out
dungeon level 4. I just used an enchanted mace, firewall, and a few potions
after gradually taking out all his companions at a door.
SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I did find a rather tricky thing in level 4. There was this creature asking
me for this flag. Well I couldn't find a 'flag', but did find the tavern
sign. He was threatening me that if I didn't bring him this he and his followers would never let me leave this level alive. Well, the thing is, when I brought
him the sign, that initiated a SWARM of his followers which came on quickly
and swallowed me whole;) I will rethink this and see if I want to try and
win this one or go to level 5 and see if anything really happens. I'm a
level 10 warrior at present.

dla

In article <5b0alo$r...@bigboote.WPI.EDU>,

Tao Yin

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

different and EXTREMELY easy game compared to multi player. Try playing it in
Multi-player with direct connection and just by yourself (It does work) and see
if you can take him out with your suggested tactics. For you who know what I am
talking about when I said I take him out with Holy Bolts I was much higher level
than I would have been in single player mode.

that's true, the only time I beat him by myself is when I am a level 13 warrior
in Multi-player mode with armor class 43. It took me about over 100+ chaps
with my magic sword and two healing potions. It seem took forever to kill him
at the time.

tao

Desslock

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

I actually found him to be harder in the single player game (although he
had less hit points), because of all of the Skeleton Archers he
surrounds himself with. In both cases I just "machine gunned" him with
holy bolts and he went down easily.

Biju Mathai

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

In article <5b2vcm$j...@nntp1.u.washington.edu>, do...@u.washington.edu,
while playing Civ2, exclaimed:

> I did find a rather tricky thing in level 4. There was this creature asking
> me for this flag. Well I couldn't find a 'flag', but did find the tavern
> sign. He was threatening me that if I didn't bring him this he and his followers would never let me leave this level alive. Well, the thing is, when I brought
> him the sign, that initiated a SWARM of his followers which came on quickly
> and swallowed me whole;) I will rethink this and see if I want to try and
> win this one or go to level 5 and see if anything really happens. I'm a
> level 10 warrior at present.

The banner is one of the quests. The innkeeper tells you the
story about how he saw his sign being stolen. As for what I
did, I said screw it and went down to level 5... I think I
cleaned out level 5 and maybe some of level 6, went back to
level 4 as a Level 12 or 13 sorceror and destroyed them. =)
Believe me.... there's tougher stuff coming. =)

Merguez

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

> Don't waste your time with anything other than the Holy Bolt
> spell. A few hits from this will destroy him. Try to build
> your character up, too. I thought the Butcher was harder to
> kill than the Skeleton King. I was level 12 or 13 sorceror
> before I went after either one, though, so I dunno how it'll
> be for you. =)

Where is this holy bolt spell??? The witch doesn't sell it....

To kill the skeleton king, I used my warrior and no magic: I needed 7
potions to take him out.

Whe I pressed the hotkeys (1-8), sometimes it wasn't responding!

Biju Mathai

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

In article <32d68260...@news.ping.be>, Francois...@ping.be,
while playing Diablo, exclaimed:
There was a holy bolt staff somewhere around the Butcher's
room in my game if I remember correctly. There are scrolls
of holy bolt throughout the game. The Holy Bolt spell is
the best to use again those skeleton archers (can't remember
what they're really called).

Michael W. Harris

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

In article <5ap502$m...@news1.voicenet.com>, fr...@voicenet.com (fred) wrote:
>ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura Manson) wrote:
>
>>How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or
is
>>he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>>fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>>connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
>
>>What am I missing?
>
>>- Neal

>I waited till I was about 8th level and used a flame axe on
>him....also stock up on Full healing potions....I needed about 5 of
>them.

I was level 9 and killed him with the Butcher's Hatchet and 2 full healing
potions. I think that it is important to make sure that you are strong
enough, and the right choice of weapon, to take on whatever you encounter. I
had a heck of a time against the Butcher, until I realized I was not strong
enough at the time and the large axe I was using was too slow. After I got
another level and bought a Claymore, I was able to hack him up pretty quick.

RLCCohen

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

The holy bolt spell works pretty well as well.

Herbert Tin Hoy Hu

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:57:16 GMT Merguez (Francois...@ping.be) wrote:

: Where is this holy bolt spell??? The witch doesn't sell it....

: To kill the skeleton king, I used my warrior and no magic: I needed 7
: potions to take him out.

: Whe I pressed the hotkeys (1-8), sometimes it wasn't responding!

You may have been hacking away at him with the shift key held down.
In those instances your hotkeys don't work.

Tin Hoy Hu
h...@hawaii.edu

Jason Nyte

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Herbert Tin Hoy Hu <h...@Hawaii.Edu> wrote in article
<5bjn3m$l...@news.Hawaii.Edu>...

wrote:

> : Where is this holy bolt spell??? The witch doesn't sell it....

Holy bolt is a book.
I was level 13 before I even bothered with the Skeleton King
I used shrines to get it up to level 10 (and a few books)
No more shrines for Holy Bolt

--
From Passage to Dawn by R.A. Salvatore page 62 through the voice of Drizzt
Do'Urden

Deirdre M. Brooks

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

In <32d21111...@news.zoomnet.net> cle...@zoomnet.net (Chris) writes:

>On Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:45:01 GMT, ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura
>Manson) wrote:

>>How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or is
>>he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
>>fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
>>connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
>>
>>What am I missing?
>>
>>- Neal

>I simply kept healing potions handy on the hot keys then used holy
>bolt on him until he fell. I used a bow also and seemed to have no
>problem after softening him up with the holy spells.

My personal favorite is to lead him away from the <ahem> dead skeletons
and shoot him with the bow of the bear again and again and again.

Deird'Re M. Brooks | xe...@teleport.com | Marizhavashti Kali
"Whose religion is this?" "It's not a religion, it's a cult." "Whose cult
is this?" "It's Hubbard's cult, baby." "Who's Hubbard?" "Hubbard's dead,
baby. Hubbard's dead." -Meme-

Martín Rodríguez

Feb 5, 2024, 2:20:24 PMFeb 5
El domingo, 5 de enero de 1997 a las 9:00:00 UTC+1, James Bass escribió:
> In article <32d0044b...@nntp.netcruiser>, ne...@ix.netcom.com (Neal and Laura Manson) ranted on and on about:
> : )How in the *&$# do you kill the Skeleton King on level 3? Is it just us, or
> : ) is
> : )he impossible to kill? We must have gone down there 5 times with level 6
> : )fighters to wail on him until we were all dead. It doesn't sound like we're
> : )connecting, even with blunt weapons (maces and clubs).
> : )
> : )What am I missing?
> : )
> : )- Neal
> I finally killed him by myself (level 12 rogue). I filled my belt with
> healing potions and positioned myself in front of a staircase so I could make
> a run for it. After beating on him and using all of my potions I run up/down
> the stairs and portal back to town to refill. It took about 15 mins but I got
> his ass. After his dead you get his Great Ax. Also be sure to identify any
> objects before you sell them, you get more $$$$.
>
> Jimmy
> James Bass
> jhb...@servtech.com
> http://www.servtech.com/public/jhbass
> WARNING: MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN ALTERED TO PREVENT UNWANTED EMAIL.
> REMOVE ASTERISK FROM BEGINNING OF ADDRESS TO REPLY BY E-MAIL.
Are warhammers considered blunt weapons?

Dimensional Traveler

Feb 5, 2024, 2:56:19 PMFeb 5
ITS A 27 YEAR OLD ZOMBIE! AAAAAHHHHH!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

dirty old man.

Ant

Feb 5, 2024, 10:40:30 PMFeb 5
Brains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped..." --Philippians 2:5-6. Slammy leaky rainy nesty. :(
| |o o| |

kyonshi

Feb 6, 2024, 3:12:43 AMFeb 6
Was there a skeleton king in Diablo? It's been so long...
I only remember the Butcher. And I guess the end boss. Everything else
just blends into another.

Justisaur

Feb 6, 2024, 11:03:01 AMFeb 6
I remember the cow level, or was the D2?

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Mark P. Nelson

Feb 6, 2024, 12:10:37 PMFeb 6
Justisaur <just...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:uptl7i$uuoc$1...@dont-email.me:

>> Was there a skeleton king in Diablo? It's been so long...
>> I only remember the Butcher. And I guess the end boss. Everything else
>> just blends into another.
>
> I remember the cow level, or was the D2?

Yes, there was a skeleton king, and there were cows, but the cow level was
D2.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

kyonshi

Feb 7, 2024, 5:00:33 AMFeb 7
On 2/6/2024 6:10 PM, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
> Justisaur <just...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:uptl7i$uuoc$1...@dont-email.me:
>
>>> Was there a skeleton king in Diablo? It's been so long...
>>> I only remember the Butcher. And I guess the end boss. Everything else
>>> just blends into another.
>>
>> I remember the cow level, or was the D2?
>>

> Yes, there was a skeleton king, and there were cows, but the cow level was
> D2.

Wasn't there a cow level in that 3rd party expansion that also had the
monk as a class?

Mark P. Nelson

Feb 7, 2024, 12:20:01 PMFeb 7
kyonshi <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote in news:upvkbu$1cgsv$2...@dont-email.me:

> On 2/6/2024 6:10 PM, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
>> Justisaur <just...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:uptl7i$uuoc$1...@dont-email.me:
>>

>>> I remember the cow level, or was the D2?
>>>

>> Yes, there was a skeleton king, and there were cows, but the cow level was
>> D2.
>>

> Wasn't there a cow level in that 3rd party expansion that also had the
> monk as a class?

You mean Hellfire. There was much silliness, but no cow level.

Spalls Hurgenson

Feb 7, 2024, 4:12:32 PMFeb 7
On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:19:59 -0000 (UTC), "Mark P. Nelson"
<markp...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>kyonshi <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote in news:upvkbu$1cgsv$2...@dont-email.me:

>>> Yes, there was a skeleton king, and there were cows, but the cow level was
>>> D2.
>>>

>> Wasn't there a cow level in that 3rd party expansion that also had the
>> monk as a class?

>You mean Hellfire. There was much silliness, but no cow level.

There was, however, a cow-related quest (Jersey's Jersey) in Hellfire.
You had to locate Lester the Farmer's 'gray suit'. It was only
activatable through a hack. You were rewarded with Cow Armor, or some
such.

The quest itself was a reaction to rumors/jokes about a 'secret cow
level' in the original "Diablo". However, there were no actual cows
involved.

Side note: Here are the OFFICIAL D&D (3rd Edition) statistics for the
Hell Bovines found in Diablo II.

Hit Dice: 11d10+9 (70 hit points)
Initiative: -3 (-1 size, -2 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 15 (+8 nat., -1 size, -2 Dex)
Attacks: Poleaxe +14/+9/+4 melee
Damage: Poleaxe1d10+3/crit x3
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rage, trample
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/-
Saves: F +8, R +4, W +3
Abilities: S17, D6, C15, I7, W10, Ch6
Skills: Intuit Direction +11
Feats: Cleave, Improved Bull Rush,
Power Attack
Climate/Terrain: Hell /the occasional slaughterhouse
CR: 9
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 12-16 HD (L); 17-29 HD (H)

And yes, these are official. There was official released-by-WOTC D&D
books that used the Diablo II license, and the Hell Bovine was one of
the included monsters.

Mark P. Nelson

Feb 8, 2024, 11:31:27 AMFeb 8
Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote in

> The quest itself was a reaction to rumors/jokes about a 'secret cow
> level' in the original "Diablo". However, there were no actual cows
> involved.

Indeed, there was much banter in alt.games.diablo about using Wirt's leg to
destroy all the barrels on some level or other in order to open the way to
the secret cow level. Much hilarity, no substance.