Bethesda/Sir-Tech-What a joke

Rollo the Talking Dragon

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

I just saw a list of games that Bethesda previewed at E3. They are
releasing two games set in the Elder Scrolls world. Neither of them are
RPGs. One is an adventure and the other is an Action/Rpg. This is a joke.
They hit big with a CRPG, so instead of working on a sequel to Daggerfall,
they go adventure/action on us!
Sir-tech is even a bigger joke. They have a huge line up of games coming
out and none of the are CRPGS. Some of these titles are really laughable as
well.They claim that WIZ 8 wont be ready till the fourth quarter of 1998.
Considering that Wizardry built that company, you think that it would be a
higher priority.

<=========Rollo the Talking Dragon=========>

<<UDIC>>
----------
Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for The Koffin Online E-Zine

^^^^For the Best in METAL,GRIND-CORE,DEATH,BLACK METAL^^^^
CHECK OUT THE KOFFIN ONLINE ZINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://members.aol.com/thekoffin/home/koffin.htm

-----------------------
Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for Games Domain Review, Travellers Inn

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview

Matthew W Buckley

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg: 23-Jul-97
Bethesda/Sir-Tech-What a joke by Rollo t. T. Dragon@voice

> I just saw a list of games that Bethesda previewed at E3. They are
> releasing two games set in the Elder Scrolls world. Neither of them are
> RPGs. One is an adventure and the other is an Action/Rpg. This is a joke.
> They hit big with a CRPG, so instead of working on a sequel to Daggerfall,
> they go adventure/action on us!

It's not "instead of." It's "in addition to."

_ _ __
/ \/ \ | | | | |__| | | /__ Read it upside <*>
| | | \__|___|__ | |__ | | \ down!
| | | __ | __|___|__ | | |
| | __| | | | \ | | | ###################################
| | |__| | | | | \_/\_/ # Matthew Buckley: sau...@cmu.edu #
###################################
Homepage URL: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew/usr/sauron/www/

Rollo the Talking Dragon

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

If you are talking about D.W. Bradley, that was YEARS ago.
--
<=========Rollo the Talking Dragon=========>

<<UDIC>>
----------

Dragon Master <antiju...@cyberpromo.spam.sux> wrote in article
<33dc29c1...@news.zippo.com>...

"---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

"---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
> "-----------------------
> "Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for Games Domain Review, Travellers Inn
> "
> "http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview
>

> Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will
> almost certainly be able to breathe something nasty,
> either acid, fire, poison, or something equally
> unpleasant.

Jeff Pack

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

In article <01bc9766$f963fff0$797c67cf@ntw_quattrof>, "Rollo the Talking Dragon" <Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:
>I just saw a list of games that Bethesda previewed at E3. They are
>releasing two games set in the Elder Scrolls world. Neither of them are
>RPGs. One is an adventure and the other is an Action/Rpg. This is a joke.
>They hit big with a CRPG, so instead of working on a sequel to Daggerfall,
>they go adventure/action on us!
>Sir-tech is even a bigger joke. They have a huge line up of games coming
>out and none of the are CRPGS. Some of these titles are really laughable as
>well.They claim that WIZ 8 wont be ready till the fourth quarter of 1998.
>Considering that Wizardry built that company, you think that it would be a
>higher priority.

How dare they diversify their product line!

--
Jeff Pack (cu...@brown.edu) Brown University, Class of 1999
St. Anthony Hall, K'96 English and American Literature

Pithy quotes suck.

Dragon Master

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Do you really want another Pathesda user pays beta test.

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:22:05 -0400, Matthew W Buckley
<sau...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

"Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg: 23-Jul-97
"Bethesda/Sir-Tech-What a joke by Rollo t. T. Dragon@voice
">

"> I just saw a list of games that Bethesda previewed at E3. They are
"> releasing two games set in the Elder Scrolls world. Neither of them
are
"> RPGs. One is an adventure and the other is an Action/Rpg. This is a
joke.
"> They hit big with a CRPG, so instead of working on a sequel to
Daggerfall,
"> they go adventure/action on us!
"

"It's not "instead of." It's "in addition to."
"
" _ _ __
"/ \/ \ | | | | |__| | | /__ Read it upside <*>
"| | | \__|___|__ | |__ | | \ down!
"| | | __ | __|___|__ | | |
"| | __| | | | \ | | | ###################################
"| | |__| | | | | \_/\_/ # Matthew Buckley: sau...@cmu.edu #
" ###################################
"Homepage URL: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew/usr/sauron/www/

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Dragon Master

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

"----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"----------
"Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for The Koffin Online E-Zine
"
"^^^^For the Best in METAL,GRIND-CORE,DEATH,BLACK METAL^^^^
" CHECK OUT THE KOFFIN ONLINE ZINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"
"http://members.aol.com/thekoffin/home/koffin.htm
"
"----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"-----------------------
"Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for Games Domain Review, Travellers Inn
"
"http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Todd Howard

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

If you think we're abonding RPGs you're as dumb as you think we are. (I
wonder if that sounds right? g)

Bethesda is not abdonding RPGs. TES3 is coming..it's just a long way
off. REDGUARD may not be an RPG, but I garuantee it will have loads of
features that you'll want to see in future TES'. Full 3D characters,
with real personalities and things they do. Hand crafted landscapes with
real things to go out and find. No random, wish you were really doing
something important, wish people would say "hi" world in REDGUARD. And
it's not a pure "adventure". It is a complete hybrid. It's actually
structured a lot like an Ultima and is very very open. What does a real
fantasy town feel like and what is it like to run right out of it and
climb into the mountains and stumble upon some dwarven ruins? You'll see
in REDGUARD. This is one experience that Daggerfall (imho) was missing.

Todd Howard
Project Leader REDGUARD
Bethesda

Shdwbld

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

mark wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:40:09 GMT, c...@earth.net (Craig Boulton) wrote:

> >On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:27:07 GMT, cu...@brown.edu (Jeff Pack) wrote:
> >
> >>How dare they diversify their product line!
> >
> >LOL! Diversifying was probably the DUMBEST thing Sirtech ever did! Up
> >until about 1990 or so the Wizardry series was Sirtech's only product
> >and they were doing well. Look at them now.
> >
> >Besides, diversify means broaden doesn't it? How is it diversification
> >if you drop your successful product line and start cranking out
> >losers? That's not diversification, that's stupidity. Maybe if they
> >had followed conventional wisdom like "if it ain't broke, don't fix
> >it" and "stick with the winners" they'd be in better shape. Its OK to
> >experiment with new products but to let a big ticket item like
> >wizardry die on the vine was not too smart. I bet you work for a game
> >company don't you? In marketting? Advice like that has really done a
> >lot of damage to a once healthy industry. We all got to spend the
> >first half of the 1990's watching full motion video interactive
> >idiotware and we get to spend the rest of the 1990's playing clone
> >wars. Thanks dude. I love diversification...
> >
> >So Wizardry 8 will come out in Q4 1998, only seven years after
> >Wizardry 7. Will anybody care?
> >

> Oh god stop your damn whinning you babies and be happy they are still
> putting out any types of games to you constant bitching adolecent
> geeks. These are games people they are not meant to fight over they
> are meant to enjoy and if someone puts out a game you don't like don't
> fucking buy it but someone else might just like that game. If you
> don't like those full mo games then the best thing you can do is not
> buy those type of games and get on with your life. The time people
> spend on the net just bitching about crap makes you think the majority
> here need to get alife or even better a damn job.
And also, GET A JOB!
You should try to take your own advice.
This is the LAST time you will hear from me, I don's have time for this
crap.
CYA
--
LEGAL NOTICE: Anyone who sends me unsolicited/commercial e-mail will be
charged a $500 proofreading fee. Consider this official notification.

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is
greater,
for each violation."

Shdwbld

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97
Okay PAL,
I have a few comments to make,
1. At least HIS message was properly spelt(whining not whinning)
2. Most RESPONSIBLE people have more to do than flame others
I just do this on my days off.
3. For games, To each their own. That is the only thing you were right
about.
4. If you think people should stop whining, look at your message and
tell me what the hell that is called. Can you say
H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E?
CYA
ShadowBlade

Critical Bill

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

<Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>I just saw a list of games that Bethesda previewed at E3. They are
>releasing two games set in the Elder Scrolls world. Neither of them are
>RPGs. One is an adventure and the other is an Action/Rpg. This is a joke.
>They hit big with a CRPG, so instead of working on a sequel to Daggerfall,
>they go adventure/action on us!

Good luck to them. I hope they experience all the success that has
befallen Sir Tech with their immortal Wizardry: Nemesis adventure.

Diversifying isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neither is producing
games from your strength and for your core audience.

-
New "Gary Maguire" Movie Page

http://www.pathcom.com/~kenl/stinks.htm

Martin Cirulis Goes to the Dark Side

http://www.pathcom.com/~kenl/new.htm#mcsw

critic...@super.zippo.com

mark

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Craig Boulton

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Nirnaeth

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

>On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:40:09 GMT, c...@earth.net (Craig Boulton) wrote:

>"lot of damage to a once healthy industry. We all got to spend the
>"first half of the 1990's watching full motion video interactive
>"idiotware and we get to spend the rest of the 1990's playing clone
>"wars. Thanks dude. I love diversification...

How true. Don't support crappy companies, and they
will vanish. The fault of false ideas of this society
and civilasation.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
nirn...@deathsdoor.com UIN#1581292

Reach for the tears... they're raining from the sky...
so sad... unnumbered... so many... nothing just cry...
take my hand and walk with me... into the everblack...

Dale Beaver

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

"Rollo the Talking Dragon" <Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>I just saw a list of games that Bethesda previewed at E3. They are
>releasing two games set in the Elder Scrolls world. Neither of them are
>RPGs. One is an adventure and the other is an Action/Rpg. This is a joke.
>They hit big with a CRPG, so instead of working on a sequel to Daggerfall,
>they go adventure/action on us!

The games you are talking about are Redguard and Battlespire,
and are seperate product lines based on the Elder Scrolls universe,
not replacements for their CRPG title. They have only started work on
Elder Scrolls 3, tentatively titled Morrowind. In fact, I wouldn't be
surprised if R. & B. aren't going to be testbeds for concepts they
want to go into Morrowind. Considering the lead time CRPG's need for
development, a few successful games that are 'kinda' RPG's in the
interim would help keep people interested, and may make up a bit for
the goofs in Daggerfall. Not to mention that it will blunt (slightly;
gamers have -good- memories about such things) the bad press that DF
got in some quarters.

>Sir-tech is even a bigger joke. They have a huge line up of games coming
>out and none of the are CRPGS. Some of these titles are really laughable as
>well.They claim that WIZ 8 wont be ready till the fourth quarter of 1998.
>Considering that Wizardry built that company, you think that it would be a
>higher priority.

Hopefully in Sir-tech's case, experience won't be too costly a
teacher.

> <=========Rollo the Talking Dragon=========>

Dragon Master

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

How much will it cost to beta test it??

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:34:28 -0400, Todd Howard <tho...@erols.com>
wrote:

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Jeff Pack

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

In article <33d6a0e0.2366354@news>, c...@earth.net (Craig Boulton) wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:27:07 GMT, cu...@brown.edu (Jeff Pack) wrote:
>>How dare they diversify their product line!
>
>LOL! Diversifying was probably the DUMBEST thing Sirtech ever did! Up
>until about 1990 or so the Wizardry series was Sirtech's only product
>and they were doing well. Look at them now.

Sir-Tech was not always doing well relying on Wizardry. Wizardry 4,
though a great game, didn't sell very well. Sir-Tech was rarely heard from
for a long time; it took Bane of the Cosmic Forge to put them back in the
spotlight. With the relative flop of Wizardry Gold, it's not surprising
that they want to hedge their bets.

>Besides, diversify means broaden doesn't it? How is it diversification
>if you drop your successful product line and start cranking out
>losers?

I'll grant that. I don't know that that's what they're doing; they are
best part of Bane was the plot, and then in Crusaders it's turns into this
stupid Dark Savant storyline).

>That's not diversification, that's stupidity. Maybe if they
>had followed conventional wisdom like "if it ain't broke, don't fix
>it" and "stick with the winners" they'd be in better shape. Its OK to
>experiment with new products but to let a big ticket item like
>wizardry die on the vine was not too smart.

I hadn't gotten the impression that they were.

Read the part of my address after the "@". Or read my sig.

>Advice like that has really done a

>lot of damage to a once healthy industry.

No, what has done damage to a healthy industry is the tendency to produce
knock-offs of successful games instead of original designs.

>We all got to spend the
>first half of the 1990's watching full motion video interactive
>idiotware

Thanks to the success of "The Seventh Guest", which IMHO was more about
showcasing a computer's multimedia capabilities than about playing a game.

>and we get to spend the rest of the 1990's playing clone
>wars.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that there are a lot of
clones out there, then I lament it as much as anyone, probably more since I
don't care for the games being cloned.

>Thanks dude. I love diversification...

Don't blame me. I only refuse to buy 'em.

>So Wizardry 8 will come out in Q4 1998, only seven years after
>Wizardry 7. Will anybody care?

Personally, I won't. I was disappointed by Crusaders of the Dark Savant; I
was looking for a continuation of the Bane of the Cosmic Forge plotline with
better graphics, not a quick tie-in and hokey sci-fi plot.

I'm more concerned about Ultima 9 being bumped back by Ultima Online. Ultima
is the only series I believe still has potential (although it's in danger of
collapsing on itself after so many installments). Might and Magic has become
outrageously munchkinized, and has done the Corak/Sheltem thing to death.
Wizardry has gotten stuck in a bad sci-fi plot while retaining fantasy
trappings. I never liked the Elder Scrolls series to begin with.

In short, I believe CRPGs in their pure form will die out (and are already in
the process of doing so) because companies want to produce "fast"--in terms of

both play and design--games. I don't believe companies can rely on the CRPG
as their "cash cow"--not without fundamentally changing the genre.

Rollo the Talking Dragon

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe Microsoft can hire you as an online
spelling and grammer checker! It is comfoting to know that there are people
who pay money for internet services just to point out the errors of serious
usenet posters. Did it ever occur to your tiny brain that not everyone on
Usenet is American? Not everyone was raised to read and write english.

What amazes me is that you could not even comment on my post, just my
error! Will the human race ever change??

--
<=========Rollo the Talking Dragon=========>

<<UDIC>>
----------
Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for The Koffin Online E-Zine

^^^^For the Best in METAL,GRIND-CORE,DEATH,BLACK METAL^^^^
CHECK OUT THE KOFFIN ONLINE ZINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://members.aol.com/thekoffin/home/koffin.htm

-----------------------
Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for Games Domain Review, Travellers Inn

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview

> It's not "instead of." It's "in addition to."

Neil Fradkin

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

> Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe Microsoft can hire you as an online
> spelling and grammer checker! It is comfoting to know that there are people
> who pay money for internet services just to point out the errors of serious
> usenet posters. Did it ever occur to your tiny brain that not everyone on
> Usenet is American? Not everyone was raised to read and write english.
>
> What amazes me is that you could not even comment on my post, just my
> error! Will the human race ever change??

Re-read your post. He was not correcting a grammar error. He is
correcting misinformation in your post.
They are not making the action games instead of the sequal to
daggerfall (implying that they are not doing the sequal), they are doing
it in addition to the sequal to daggerfall (meaning they are working on
it).
Nothing to do with microsoft, americans, or grammar. He was commenting
on your post by correcting the information that you gave. Of couse you
instantly take his post personally and write up this misinformed and
rude reply, will the human race ever change?

As to your point, it is not suprising that the follow up to daggerfall
is not on the top of the priority list. It did not exactly recieve
glowing reviews and it wasn't initally accepted by the gaming public.
Also there is more than one project going on at a time, they are making
a number of games at once. The games shown at E3 were those who were
playable enough to show.

Neil Fradkin

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

> >How dare they diversify their product line!
>
> LOL! Diversifying was probably the DUMBEST thing Sirtech ever did! Up
> until about 1990 or so the Wizardry series was Sirtech's only product
> and they were doing well. Look at them now.

Oh yeah, those Jagged alliance games just sucked, what a waste of time
writing that sequal. (btw, that's sarcasm)

-snipped a bit-

> So Wizardry 8 will come out in Q4 1998, only seven years after
> Wizardry 7. Will anybody care?

Only those who think the name makes a game.

mark

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:59:05 GMT, antiju...@cyberpromo.spam.sux
(Dragon Master) wrote:

>Do you really want another Pathesda user pays beta test.

More than we want another repeated post from you.

Jeff Pack

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

In article <01bc9851$23af1160$678a67cf@ntw_quattrof>, "Rollo the Talking Dragon" <Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:
>> It's not "instead of." It's "in addition to."

>Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe Microsoft can hire you as an online
>spelling and grammar checker!

That's not spelling or grammar; that's content. Computer game companies don't
have to choose between exclusively producing CRPGs and not producing them at
all, as "instead of" would imply.

>It is comforting to know that there are people
>who pay money for Internet services just to point out the errors of serious
>Usenet posters. Did it ever occur to your tiny brain that not everyone on
>Usenet is American? Not everyone was raised to read and write English.

>What amazes me is that you could not even comment on my post, just my
>error! Will the human race ever change??

He did comment on your post. Grow up.

mark

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:33:46 -0400, Shdwbld
<palad...@geocitiesNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>mark wrote:

>> >LOL! Diversifying was probably the DUMBEST thing Sirtech ever did! Up
>> >until about 1990 or so the Wizardry series was Sirtech's only product
>> >and they were doing well. Look at them now.
>> >

>> >Besides, diversify means broaden doesn't it? How is it diversification
>> >if you drop your successful product line and start cranking out

>> >losers? That's not diversification, that's stupidity. Maybe if they

>> >had followed conventional wisdom like "if it ain't broke, don't fix
>> >it" and "stick with the winners" they'd be in better shape. Its OK to
>> >experiment with new products but to let a big ticket item like

>> >wizardry die on the vine was not too smart. I bet you work for a game
>> >company don't you? In marketting? Advice like that has really done a
>> >lot of damage to a once healthy industry. We all got to spend the

>> >first half of the 1990's watching full motion video interactive

>> >idiotware and we get to spend the rest of the 1990's playing clone
>> >wars. Thanks dude. I love diversification...

>> >So Wizardry 8 will come out in Q4 1998, only seven years after
>> >Wizardry 7. Will anybody care?
>> >

>> Oh god stop your damn whinning you babies and be happy they are still
>> putting out any types of games to you constant bitching adolecent
>> geeks. These are games people they are not meant to fight over they
>> are meant to enjoy and if someone puts out a game you don't like don't
>> fucking buy it but someone else might just like that game. If you
>> don't like those full mo games then the best thing you can do is not
>> buy those type of games and get on with your life. The time people
>> spend on the net just bitching about crap makes you think the majority
>> here need to get alife or even better a damn job.

>And also, GET A JOB!
>You should try to take your own advice.
>This is the LAST time you will hear from me, I don's have time for this
>crap.
>CYA
>--

Uh loser I actually have a job which is why I don't spend hrs on the
net whining about game companies putting out games that may not meet
my preferred genre.

johnmay

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Hey gumby don't blame Sirtech Wiz 8 hit a major major snag here in Oz
> when the principal storyman dissapeared and the project was abandoned.

Did David even start this dragon or had he left by then ? I find it hard
to believe he would leave after starting wiz 8. Why did sir-tech ALLOW
him to leave, it would have been a better move to make him director of
the company than to let him leave, he had(has) more talent then Sir-Tech
are ever likley to see again.

John May.

Dragon Master

Sean Tudor

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:40:09 GMT, c...@earth.net (Craig Boulton) wrote:

>So Wizardry 8 will come out in Q4 1998, only seven years after
>Wizardry 7. Will anybody care?

The simple fact is that CRPG's just don't make the kind of money they
used to in the Ultima days. Games companies need to diversify to fund
production of a CRPG.

------------------------
Sean Tudor
Sydney, Australia
------------------------
Say No To Junk Email

Shdwbld

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

mark wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:33:46 -0400, Shdwbld
> <palad...@geocitiesNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >mark wrote:

> >> Oh god stop your damn whinning you babies and be happy they are still
> >> putting out any types of games to you constant bitching adolecent
> >> geeks. These are games people they are not meant to fight over they
> >> are meant to enjoy and if someone puts out a game you don't like don't
> >> fucking buy it but someone else might just like that game. If you
> >> don't like those full mo games then the best thing you can do is not
> >> buy those type of games and get on with your life. The time people
> >> spend on the net just bitching about crap makes you think the majority
> >> here need to get alife or even better a damn job.
> >And also, GET A JOB!
> >You should try to take your own advice.
> >This is the LAST time you will hear from me, I don's have time for this
> >crap.
> >CYA
> >--
>
> Uh loser I actually have a job which is why I don't spend hrs on the
> net whining about game companies putting out games that may not meet
> my preferred genre.
Okay so I lied, but, I don't think you want to start this. I have a one
month holiday(office closed for Renov.). I have all the time in the
world to sit here and flame you. So, Down to a point, dont call me a
loser. Again, This is the last time you hear from me. Unless you
respond in some childish way like Loser, Moron etc.
CYA

Shdwbld

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> These pedants are always playing Daggerfraud/Yawn hence there
> whingeing
>
> On 24 Jul 1997 16:55:15 GMT, "Rollo the Talking Dragon"

> <Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:
>
> "Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe Microsoft can hire you as an
> online
> "spelling and grammer checker! It is comfoting to know that there are
> people
> "who pay money for internet services just to point out the errors of
> serious
> "usenet posters. Did it ever occur to your tiny brain that not

> everyone on
> "Usenet is American? Not everyone was raised to read and write
> english.

> "
> "What amazes me is that you could not even comment on my post, just my
> "error! Will the human race ever change??
> "
> "
> "--
> " <=========Rollo the Talking Dragon=========>
> "
> " <<UDIC>>
> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "----------
> "Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for The Koffin Online E-Zine
> "
> "^^^^For the Best in METAL,GRIND-CORE,DEATH,BLACK METAL^^^^
> " CHECK OUT THE KOFFIN ONLINE ZINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> "
> "http://members.aol.com/thekoffin/home/koffin.htm
> "
> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "-----------------------
> "Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for Games Domain Review, Travellers Inn
> "
> "http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview
> "
> "> It's not "instead of." It's "in addition to."
> ">
> "> _ _ __
> "> / \/ \ | | | | |__| | | /__ Read it upside
> <*>
> "> | | | \__|___|__ | |__ | | \ down!
> "> | | | __ | __|___|__ | | |
> "> | | __| | | | \ | | |
> ###################################
> "> | | |__| | | | | \_/\_/ # Matthew Buckley: sau...@cmu.edu
> #
> ">
> ###################################
> "> Homepage URL: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew/usr/sauron/www/
> "
>
> Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will
> almost certainly be able to breathe something nasty,
> either acid, fire, poison, or something equally
> unpleasant.
You never learn do you dragon MASTER!(Master.....)
Maybe you should not go on the net, I mean I guess that you are
about.......................Oh
Maybe............................Nah..........................
..............................Yeah, Thats IT! About 10 years Old.
So go play with whatever the hell you do play with(Dragons it looks like
from your Name), and stop insulting DaggerFALL, It is a GOOD game.
CYA
ShadowBlade

Dragon Master

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

Dragon Master

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

He got a better offer from Origin maybe??

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 23:07:40 +0100, johnmay <joh...@claranet.co.uk>
wrote:

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Led Mirage

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

In article <33D7D2...@claranet.co.uk>,

johnmay <joh...@claranet.co.uk> wrote:

>Did David even start this dragon or had he left by then ? I find it hard
>to believe he would leave after starting wiz 8. Why did sir-tech ALLOW
>him to leave, it would have been a better move to make him director of
>the company than to let him leave, he had(has) more talent then Sir-Tech
>are ever likley to see again.

D.W.Bradley left long time ago. He'd even made a game. If you still want
to worship his "greatness", go check out the bargain bin, look for a "EA
Classic" called Cybermage. Then draw your conclusion on how much more
talented he is than Sir-tech.

Peteroo

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

>Did David even start this dragon or had he left by then ? I find it hard
>to believe he would leave after starting wiz 8. Why did sir-tech ALLOW
>him to leave, it would have been a better move to make him director of
>the company than to let him leave, he had(has) more talent then Sir-Tech
>are ever likley to see again.

As I recall, DWB was just tired of Wiz after writing three huge games (as
well as the unreleased original original Mac and Amiga ports), and moved
on after Wiz 7 to try other things.

:D.W.Bradley left long time ago. He'd even made a game. If you still want

:to worship his "greatness", go check out the bargain bin, look for a "EA
:Classic" called Cybermage. Then draw your conclusion on how much more
:talented he is than Sir-tech.

Actually, that's better advice than you may have known. CyberMage (which
was originally released by Origin) didn't get much respect in its day, but
it's a respectable Doom-style action/adventure and the first game of its
type to meld storytelling to shoot-em-up. Worth a look.

Peter

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

In article <33D7A2...@secant.com>,

nfra...@secant.com wrote:
> Oh yeah, those Jagged alliance games just sucked, what a waste of time
> writing that sequal. (btw, that's sarcasm)

Giving fair credit where it is due, Jagged Alliance (and Deadly Games)
was the ONLY good idea from Sir-Tech in the past 7 years. JA was not a
half-bad game, although it did not sell very well. Poetic justice,
because they did manage to foist off some of the other stuff onto
unsuspecting customers.

I played JA when it first came out (borrowed a friend's copy, would not
send these people a dime if I found it on the sidewalk) and I had to
admit it was a neat shoot-em-up strategy idea for a game. Kind of quirky
and with a lot of detail that made it interesting.

Unfortunately, it kept crashing on me and also had a lot of internal
problems, or so it seemed.

Although JA would make it under the tape of my cut-off score as a "real"
game, I doubt if the same person who wrote this game has a snowball in
hell's chance of writing a good Wizardry adventure. His is not exactly an
"examined life," if you get my drift.

If D.W. Bradley had decided to write fantasy fiction instead of computer
RPG's, I have to tell you, I think he could pull it off. He had some neat
ideas, kind of like Orson Scott Card in some ways. There was some breadth
there that encompassed some pretty adult ideas about the world that
nobody had ever thought to try to put into a computer game ... a bit of
prose poetry, maybe a bit hammy at times, but sincere, some reflection on
what your whole purpose in the universe/game scenario was and a lot of
other cool stuff that gives the whole thing basically infinite "replay"
value like no other game before (or after) it.

The guy who wrote JA can try, but ... I don't think this guy or all the
fond wishes and wannabes at Sir-Dreck can follow an act like that. If you
played WIZARDRY NEMESIS, you know that the "storyline" was strictly
sophomoric "find the Gobbledegook crystals to defeat the evil
Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong" like ten million games before it and afterwards.
These are not people who would be writing fantasy fiction if they were
not doing this ... frankly, they couldn't get any stuff published, 'cause
it would be piss-weak gibberish if they could not wrap a "game" around it
to draw attention away from how sub-par it is.

Of course, I am sure it all seems neither here nor there to the people in
Ogdensberg. I don't think they appreciated something good when they had
it, and what's worse I don't even think they appreciated it when it was
gone. They are probably thinking, "What does it matter? You gotcher
swords, you gotcher magic treasures, you gotcher dwarf-type characters
... what's everybody going on about, are ya gonna shovel out that meal
ticket we're so used to er not? I gotta extension to my house I'm making
payments on, coff it up, now! If D.W. Bradley was so damn smart, how come
he ain't rich and we are?"

Craig Boulton

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:44:31 -0400, Neil Fradkin <nfra...@secant.com>
wrote:

> Oh yeah, those Jagged alliance games just sucked, what a waste of time
>writing that sequal. (btw, that's sarcasm)

I liked Jagged Alliance but Deadly Games was really a let down. My
understanding was that Sir Tech was just the publisher of JA though,
not the developer? I will go on the record as saying Jagged Alliance
is the ONLY game they have published since Wizardry VII that was worth
playing.

Dragon Master

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

Go play with Pokie, Gumby or maybe the squareheads are more you level
of intelligence.

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:51:53 -0400, Shdwbld <palad...@geocities.com>
wrote:

"> Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will
"> almost certainly be able to breathe something nasty,
"> either acid, fire, poison, or something equally
"> unpleasant.

"You never learn do you dragon MASTER!(Master.....)
"Maybe you should not go on the net, I mean I guess that you are
"about.......................Oh
"Maybe............................Nah..........................
"..............................Yeah, Thats IT! About 10 years Old.
"So go play with whatever the hell you do play with(Dragons it looks
like
"from your Name), and stop insulting DaggerFALL, It is a GOOD game.
"CYA
"ShadowBlade

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Matthew W Buckley

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg: 24-Jul-97 Re:
Bethesda/Sir-Tech-What .. by Rollo t. T. Dragon@voice

> Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe Microsoft can hire you as an online
> spelling and grammer checker! It is comfoting to know that there are people
> who pay money for internet services just to point out the errors of serious
> usenet posters. Did it ever occur to your tiny brain that not everyone on
> Usenet is American? Not everyone was raised to read and write english.
>
> What amazes me is that you could not even comment on my post, just my
> error! Will the human race ever change??

I WAS commenting on your post. I suppose your misinterpretation may have
been due to your not being raised to read and write English, or possibly
your "tiny brain," but the meaning of my post was that Bethesda is not
abandoning the CRPG. They are still making "Morrowind," the sequel to
"Daggerfall." IN ADDITION, they are making other, more action/adventure
oriented games, such as "Redguard" and "Battlespire." Did you complain
when they made other action games, like the Terminator games?

BTW, the experiences of a friend of mine working at Microsoft have convinced
me that I never want to work there, no matter how much stock they give me.

And I don't pay money for internet services, unless you count tuition. ;)

Seeya.

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

In article <5r7sf3$h...@cocoa.brown.edu>,
cu...@brown.edu (Jeff Pack) wrote:
> [snip]

> In short, I believe CRPGs in their pure form will die out (and are already in
> the process of doing so) because companies want to produce "fast"--in terms of
>
> both play and design--games. I don't believe companies can rely on the CRPG
> as their "cash cow"--not without fundamentally changing the genre.
>
> --
> Jeff Pack (cu...@brown.edu) Brown University, Class of 1999
> St. Anthony Hall, K'96 English and American Literature

I didn't agree with everything in this post, but you basically drove a
stake into the real deal here.

CRPGs are hard to write. They require intelligent, dedicated craftmen and
a development cycle that is 3 times that of a bog-standard 3D physics
multiplayer game where you have a shell and it is the players who
(supposedly) create the fun and interest through interaction.

If you are a moron who has only one goal in life - to make money and make
it fast, then you simply can't be bothered to pursue any quality product
lines, even IF the money would come eventually and the consumer loyalty
would be exceptionally high in the long run.

Look at all the factors you have to handle to make real computer games:
You have to retain good programmers, manage a software team of
decentralized professionals, pay competitive wages and handle them with
respect. You have to use the same attitude for all the support personnel
and keep them in your company by making them feel welcome and seeing to
it they enjoy their jobs.

Now look at the alternative ... hire a bunch of keyboard monkeys, put 'em
in a cardboard box feeding 'em rice and beans, do a safe formulaic twist
on some currently popular genre and concentrate on easily optimized stuff
like graphics.

The large corporate games company wants cash and they want it now. They
want simple management logistics ... warm bodies and concepts so easily
grasped that there is little question of how to approach the task.

Crank 'em in 'n out on autopilot, BS the players with slick ads campaigns
and laugh all the way to the bank. Leave eccentric nerds like me to
belabor the death of everything true and beautiful in the world while
they retire to Puerto Rico with their own resort and laugh at how many
people can be swindled with nothing but hot air and hype.

It is like the lamprey that attaches itself to fish - it might be a
disgusting and vile organism, but the fact is it survives with minimal
effort on it's own part and gets somebody else to bleed all the food it
can eat. Whatever you think of it, it seems to get the upper hand on
everything it comes into contact with. In terms of natural selection, it
excels at survival and has a coping strategy that keeps more of it's kind
in the world.

There is one ray of hope in the world, however ... the lamprey survives
when there is a plentiful supply of victims - fish who for whatever
reason are sick, slow or have weak reflexes. When the host is healthy and
fast, the lampreys perish or are reduced in numbers.

As consumers become a bit smarter and more discerning (and they
definitely are) and the PC market approaches saturation in the cash
economies (it is) you will find a lot of these blood suckers starving to
death. Like the lamprey, they are one-trick ponies and will not adapt to
changed conditions, they will die off.

Dragon Master

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

Go play with Pokie, Gumby or maybe the squareheads are more your level
of intelligence.

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:51:53 -0400, Shdwbld <palad...@geocities.com>
wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
"> These pedants are always playing Daggerfraud/Yawn hence there
"> whingeing
">
"> On 24 Jul 1997 16:55:15 GMT, "Rollo the Talking Dragon"
"> <Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:
">

"> "Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe Microsoft can hire you as an
"> online
"> "spelling and grammer checker! It is comfoting to know that there
are
"> people
"> "who pay money for internet services just to point out the errors
of
"> serious
"> "usenet posters. Did it ever occur to your tiny brain that not
"> everyone on
"> "Usenet is American? Not everyone was raised to read and write
"> english.
"> "
"> "What amazes me is that you could not even comment on my post, just
my
"> "error! Will the human race ever change??
"> "
"> "

"> "--
"> " <=========Rollo the Talking Dragon=========>
"> "
"> " <<UDIC>>
">
"----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"> "----------
"> "-----------------------
"> "Fred Quattrone, Reviewer for Games Domain Review, Travellers Inn
"> "
"> "http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview
"> "
"> "> It's not "instead of." It's "in addition to."
"> ">

"> "> _ _ __
"> "> / \/ \ | | | | |__| | | /__ Read it upside
"> <*>
"> "> | | | \__|___|__ | |__ | | \ down!
"> "> | | | __ | __|___|__ | | |
"> "> | | __| | | | \ | | |
"> ###################################
"> "> | | |__| | | | | \_/\_/ # Matthew Buckley:
sau...@cmu.edu
"> #
"> ">
"> ###################################
"> "> Homepage URL: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew/usr/sauron/www/
"> "
">

Douglas Rener

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

What total Bullshit:
I'm saving this message and sending it back to Todd Howard after
RedGuard is released.
Bethesda time and again makes grand claims about what the product
will be.
When the game is released- those features will be left out.
I will never buy a Bethesda product until they deliver what they
promise.

wrote:

>If you think we're abonding RPGs you're as dumb as you think we are. (I
>wonder if that sounds right? g)
>
>Bethesda is not abdonding RPGs. TES3 is coming..it's just a long way
>off. REDGUARD may not be an RPG, but I garuantee it will have loads of
>features that you'll want to see in future TES'. Full 3D characters,
>with real personalities and things they do. Hand crafted landscapes with
>real things to go out and find. No random, wish you were really doing
>something important, wish people would say "hi" world in REDGUARD. And
>it's not a pure "adventure". It is a complete hybrid. It's actually
>structured a lot like an Ultima and is very very open. What does a real
>fantasy town feel like and what is it like to run right out of it and
>climb into the mountains and stumble upon some dwarven ruins? You'll see
>in REDGUARD. This is one experience that Daggerfall (imho) was missing.
>
>Todd Howard
>Project Leader REDGUARD
>Bethesda

Spam Notice:
Remove the 'F#' from my email address to reach me...
For all you automated Spam-Progs out there, here are
some really good addresses for ya...
Chairman Reed Hundt: rhu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello: jqu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Susan Ness: sn...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Rachelle Chong: rch...@fcc.gov

And let's help you send some spam to the USPS, too:
cust...@email.usps.gov

Dragon Master

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

More like Morrowindup (wind like you wind a watch)

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:53:07 +0200, "Peter K. Pichler"
<p_pi...@mail.styria.co.at> wrote:

[...]

"Bethesda IS working on a Elder Scrolls RPG. 's called Morrowind.

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

In article <5r98c1$5...@shell1.interlog.com>,

lmi...@interlog.com (Led Mirage) wrote:

> In article <33D7D2...@claranet.co.uk>,
> johnmay <joh...@claranet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >Did David even start this dragon or had he left by then ? I find it hard
> >to believe he would leave after starting wiz 8. Why did sir-tech ALLOW
> >him to leave, it would have been a better move to make him director of
> >the company than to let him leave, he had(has) more talent then Sir-Tech
> >are ever likley to see again.
>
> D.W.Bradley left long time ago. He'd even made a game. If you still want
> to worship his "greatness", go check out the bargain bin, look for a "EA
> Classic" called Cybermage. Then draw your conclusion on how much more
> talented he is than Sir-tech.

Yeah, hey, how 'bout that Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel! Big
phoney, I'd say! The Vatican should have got themselves a big committee
and done the job right on those murals! They were a big organization like
Sir-Tech, so I guess they would have more "talent", 'natch.

Does a person who compares an individual's "talent" with that of an
abstract "organization" really even know what the word means?

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

In article <33dcb239...@snews.zippo.com>,
gd...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Good luck to them. I hope they experience all the success that has
> befallen Sir Tech with their immortal Wizardry: Nemesis adventure.
>
> Diversifying isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neither is producing
> games from your strength and for your core audience.

In this instance, "diversifying" means "blind panicking terror that you
are unable to support your core product or produce a sequel, so pretend
like you are trying to branch out into other genres before the
repossession agents show up to get the office furniture."

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

In article <33d8f12d...@news.zippo.com>,

dra...@cyberprom.sux (Dragon Master) wrote:

> He got a better offer from Origin maybe??

Maybe. But why did the ENTIRE team that worked on Crusaders defect to
Origin? They ALL got a better offer?

Look on the box of Cybermage then look in the manual of Crusaders.

The ENTIRE team left Sir-tech, not just David Bradley.

HMMMM ... what could make an entire team of people leave a company? I
wonder what could happen to cause that?

Todd Howard

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

Hey, if REDGUARD is not what I say it is going to be then you have every
right to blame me/flame me whatever...I'll deserve it. But I'm not
handing you a line of bullshit. The game feels like a real place with
real people and real drama. This was the goal of the design. None of the
game is random. period. None. It is all designed already and over half
of the world has been built.

I'll take it on the chin, if I mislead you. But I'm always honest about
our games and I want these things in REDGUARD, because I think
Daggerfall didn't pull (these elements at least) together.

Todd Howard
Project Leader REDGUARD
Bethesda

mark

Jul 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/27/97

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:35:06 -0600, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

>In article <33dcb239...@snews.zippo.com>,
> gd...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Good luck to them. I hope they experience all the success that has
>> befallen Sir Tech with their immortal Wizardry: Nemesis adventure.
>>
>> Diversifying isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neither is producing
>> games from your strength and for your core audience.
>>

>In this instance, "diversifying" means "blind panicking terror that you
>are unable to support your core product or produce a sequel, so pretend
>like you are trying to branch out into other genres before the
>repossession agents show up to get the office furniture."

Daggerfall is less than a year old they have time to do some other
things before a sequel would be due. Most of you people here are
losers. Im sorry but a company puts out games and all you people do is
pick and pick at the type of game even before the game is out. Just
because they may not be true rpg's does not mean that people won't
like it. All the games I play are not always rpg's and maybe id like
to play a few adventure or heaven forbid action type games based on a
world I was familiar with.You all take these games to personally alot
of you actually get offended if they put out a non rpg. That is truely
sad.

Dragon Master

Jul 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/27/97

Bradley eccentricities, he may have fallen out with the brothers. I
think (OZ) Bruce made a better offer and then they were let down by
good old Max hence the huge delay in Wiz 8.

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

spectre911

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997 00:25:38 GMT, swa...@avana.net (mark) wrote:

>Daggerfall is less than a year old they have time to do some other
>things before a sequel would be due.

I despised Daggerfall. They could come out with a sequel right now and
I wouldn't buy it. But if I DID like it I'd want the next game in the
series to be coming pretty soon now. Why is it that you think it's OK
for sequels to come out 3 or 4 years after? Thats a LONG fricking time
in this industry.

>Most of you people here are losers.

Kind of a gratuitous insult don't ya think? Most of the people here
seem to be working in the computer industry from what I can tell.
Maybe you should go buy a Nintendo and talk to the 10 year olds in the
cartridge newsgroups.

>Im sorry but a company puts out games and all you people do is
>pick and pick at the type of game even before the game is out. Just
>because they may not be true rpg's does not mean that people won't
>like it. All the games I play are not always rpg's and maybe id like
>to play a few adventure or heaven forbid action type games based on a
>world I was familiar with.You all take these games to personally alot
>of you actually get offended if they put out a non rpg. That is truely
>sad.

My favorite genre now is wargames since the RPG market has dried up. I
also like strategy games(NOT Warcraft and C&C) and, yes, I do like
action games too! My problem with a lot of the games coming out is
they are SHALLOW and TRIVIAL and they lack anything resembling GOOD
GAMEPLAY. But far be it from me to complain about an industry that is
catering to people with the attention span of a gnat...

Oh, and it is Adventure games that are the ones that are almost
completely without value, not action games. The world needs action
games. The world doesn't need RPG lites. Land o' Wonder games really
make me want to puke.

Brian C Robinson

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Craig Boulton (c...@earth.net) wrote:

: On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:27:07 GMT, cu...@brown.edu (Jeff Pack) wrote:

: >How dare they diversify their product line!

: LOL! Diversifying was probably the DUMBEST thing Sirtech ever did! Up
: until about 1990 or so the Wizardry series was Sirtech's only product
: and they were doing well. Look at them now.

:
Well, the truth is that the Wizardy's were decent RPGs, a little
too combat oriented for RPGs, but fun. Then Sir-Tech came out with Jagged
Alliance, one of the best computer games ever made. If they had stuck to
all Wizardries or other RPGs, the gaming community would have lost and
excellent peice of software.

--
'Take me with you..." - Trent

Dale Beaver

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

dra...@cyberpromo.sux (Dragon Master) wrote:

>More like Morrowindup (wind like you wind a watch)

Oh. You mean that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, will have the
beauty of design and internal precision of a quality Swiss time
piece? That's good to know.

Marcus, the damned game isn't even off of the drawing board
yet, so why don't you put a cork in your obsession? YOU do not know
what it will be like, neither do I. Unlike you, however, I will wait
and see. This strategy tends to keep one from looking like an ass ( as
in jackass).

Did I use too many words that were more than one syllable?

Rollo the Talking Dragon

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

You all take these games to personally alot
> of you actually get offended if they put out a non rpg. That is truely
> sad.

One of the reasons for this newsgroup is to discuss these games! What else
should we do besides discuss CRPGs???

Rollo

Max Weber

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

How did you escape my kill file?

--Diomedes (Reconfiguring kill file...)

dra...@cyberpromo.sux (Dragon Master) wrote:

>How did strategy games enter into this group??

Max Weber

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

>There is one ray of hope in the world, however ... the lamprey survives
>when there is a plentiful supply of victims - fish who for whatever
>reason are sick, slow or have weak reflexes. When the host is healthy and
>fast, the lampreys perish or are reduced in numbers.

You know how they're poisoning deer ticks with stuff that's non-toxic
for the deer right now, in an effort to reduce Lyme Disease? Do you
think there's a way to kill off those 'software lamprey' by making
their code explode?

--Diomedes

Max Weber

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Hey, I'm curious now. What kind of jobs do you guys have?

--Diomedes

Shdwbld <palad...@geocities.com> wrote:

>mark wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:33:46 -0400, Shdwbld
>> <palad...@geocitiesNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>> >And also, GET A JOB!
>> >You should try to take your own advice.
>> >This is the LAST time you will hear from me, I don's have time for this
>> >crap.
>> >CYA
>> >--
>>
>> Uh loser I actually have a job which is why I don't spend hrs on the
>> net whining about game companies putting out games that may not meet
>> my preferred genre.
>Okay so I lied, but, I don't think you want to start this. I have a one
>month holiday(office closed for Renov.). I have all the time in the
>world to sit here and flame you. So, Down to a point, dont call me a
>loser. Again, This is the last time you hear from me. Unless you
>respond in some childish way like Loser, Moron etc.
>CYA

Dragon Master

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Got you again!! stay on your toes Weber

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

In article <5rn4bp$m...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,

The next best thing is to be a smart consumer - don't be fooled by the
hype. If the average buyer was just a tad more discerning and less
impulsive, 90% of these companies would be out of business after this
Christmas. Which would be fine by me.

mark

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:21:26 -0600, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

>In article <5rn4bp$m...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
> ~*!-$*~id...@maxweber.com (Max Weber) wrote:
>>
>> cl...@ans.com.au wrote:
>>
>> >There is one ray of hope in the world, however ... the lamprey survives
>> >when there is a plentiful supply of victims - fish who for whatever
>> >reason are sick, slow or have weak reflexes. When the host is healthy and
>> >fast, the lampreys perish or are reduced in numbers.
>>
>> You know how they're poisoning deer ticks with stuff that's non-toxic
>> for the deer right now, in an effort to reduce Lyme Disease? Do you
>> think there's a way to kill off those 'software lamprey' by making
>> their code explode?
>>
>> --Diomedes
>
>The next best thing is to be a smart consumer - don't be fooled by the
>hype. If the average buyer was just a tad more discerning and less
>impulsive, 90% of these companies would be out of business after this
>Christmas. Which would be fine by me.

Yea then the only game we could buy would be your piece of crap right?

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

What piece of junk are we referring to. Even at its worst Wiz Gold is
miles better than the user pays beta Daggerfraud/Yawn

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

That is my argument, don't except junk and all these junk game makers
will fold, take Daggerfraud/Yawn for instance the most patched RPG in
history and the a user pays beta testing game which has now set the
standard for other junk games to follow.

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:21:26 -0600, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

"In article <5rn4bp$m...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
" ~*!-$*~id...@maxweber.com (Max Weber) wrote:
">
"> cl...@ans.com.au wrote:
">
[...]

====-----------------------
" http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Tim and Mary

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> What piece of junk are we referring to. Even at its worst Wiz Gold is
> miles better than the user pays beta Daggerfraud/Yawn

Dream on! Wizardry Gold SUCKS. It was fun for the first 5 minutes or so,
but got boring real quick. It did provide some challenge, but the
boring-factor was just way too high for me.

Tim

--
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Tim and Mary

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> That is my argument, don't except junk and all these junk game makers
> will fold, take Daggerfraud/Yawn for instance the most patched RPG in
> history and the a user pays beta testing game which has now set the
> standard for other junk games to follow.

You must not play many RPGs, then, Lord Dorkon/Dragon Master. Darklands
from Microprose was the most patched RPG I've ever played, and it was
AWESOME despite all it's patches.

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dual One
If you think Wiz Gold was/is boring on your boredom rating system
Daggerfraud/Yawn must be mega-boring X 2 Where is the challenge in
Daggerfraud/Yawn ( could it be the user pays beta test or waiting for
the next crash or the next patch to arrive.) X2

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:11:42 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
"> What piece of junk are we referring to. Even at its worst Wiz Gold
is
"> miles better than the user pays beta Daggerfraud/Yawn
"
"Dream on! Wizardry Gold SUCKS. It was fun for the first 5 minutes or
so,
"but got boring real quick. It did provide some challenge, but the
"boring-factor was just way too high for me.
"
"Tim

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dual One
How many?? Darklands was a junk game and just rates under
Daggerfraud/Yawn for all time junk along with Deathkeep X2 I have
played many RPG's and have found three that are mega junk they are
Daggerfraud/Yawn/Darklands/Deathkeep the latter was not a user pays
beta test X2
Lord Dorkon?? who is he?? X2

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:10:31 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
"> That is my argument, don't except junk and all these junk game
makers
"> will fold, take Daggerfraud/Yawn for instance the most patched RPG
in
"> history and the a user pays beta testing game which has now set the
"> standard for other junk games to follow.
"
"You must not play many RPGs, then, Lord Dorkon/Dragon Master.
Darklands
"from Microprose was the most patched RPG I've ever played, and it was
"AWESOME despite all it's patches.
"

Tim and Mary

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Dual One
> If you think Wiz Gold was/is boring on your boredom rating system
> Daggerfraud/Yawn must be mega-boring X 2 Where is the challenge in
> Daggerfraud/Yawn ( could it be the user pays beta test or waiting for
> the next crash or the next patch to arrive.) X2

You can't read very well.
I think Daggerfall blows away, completely, any of the Wizardry series.
For that matter, so do all the Ultimas.

Tim and Mary

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Dual One
> How many?? Darklands was a junk game and just rates under
> Daggerfraud/Yawn for all time junk along with Deathkeep X2 I have
> played many RPG's and have found three that are mega junk they are
> Daggerfraud/Yawn/Darklands/Deathkeep the latter was not a user pays
> beta test X2
> Lord Dorkon?? who is he?? X2

Lord Dorkon is you, idiot! That means YOU are a 'Dual one' too!
As for your 'junk titles', you are definitely int he minority. Good!
What IS your favorite RPG? Don't tell me... Sesame Street! I asked you
before and you keep avoiding the question... or do you not really play
RPGs?
Darklands, for its time, was a masterpiece. Very involving, very deep. A
lot of thinking went into it, both in the making and the playing!

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dual One
You cannot be serious Darklands a masterpiece another Microprose flop
you name it I have played it so I think I can at least distinguish
between great and junk (unlike you it seems) oh by the way Lord Dracon
has been promoted to Lord Dracon Dragon Master
( a bit long winded so it is shortened to Dragon Master) X2

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Who cares what my email address is.

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:52:15 GMT, we...@inflab.uni-linz.ac.atNOSPAM
(Werner Punz) wrote:

"~*!-$*~id...@maxweber.com (Max Weber) wrote:
"
">How did you escape my kill file?
">
">--Diomedes (Reconfiguring kill file...)
">
">
">dra...@cyberpromo.sux (Dragon Master) wrote:
">
">>How did strategy games enter into this group??
">
"

"Kill file everything with a sux in it, this works for 95 percent of
"dracons faked adresses.
"
"BTW. his real e-mail address is dra...@loom.net.au
"
"Have much fun
"
"Werner
"
"we...@inflab.uni-linz.ac.at REMOVE NOSPAM BEFORE REPLYING
"http://witiko.ifs.uni-linz.ac.at
"
"check out ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive for something which has
"been forgotten years ago.

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dual One
You take yourselves so seriously Daggerfraud/Yawn better than Wizardry
Gold ROTFL x 1,000,000 X2

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:21:26 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
"> Dual One

"> If you think Wiz Gold was/is boring on your boredom rating system
"> Daggerfraud/Yawn must be mega-boring X 2 Where is the challenge in
"> Daggerfraud/Yawn ( could it be the user pays beta test or waiting
for
"> the next crash or the next patch to arrive.) X2
"
"You can't read very well.
" I think Daggerfall blows away, completely, any of the Wizardry
series.
"For that matter, so do all the Ultimas.
"
" Tim

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

spectre911

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:11:42 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Dream on! Wizardry Gold SUCKS. It was fun for the first 5 minutes or so,
>but got boring real quick. It did provide some challenge, but the
>boring-factor was just way too high for me.

I never played "Wizardry Gold" but I played Crusaders of the Dark
Savant back in 1992 and I liked it well. And I'd rate Arena as teh
most boring game I've ever played and Daggerfall as the second most
boring. We obviously have different tastes. I was unable to find any
compelling motivation to do anything in those TES games. Just endless
streams of fighting random monsters and picking up random loot...

I always said Arena was the game engine in search of a game.
Daggerfall didn't even have a decent game engine.

cl...@ans.com.au

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

In article <33e0ec92...@news.zippo.com>,

dra...@cyberpromo.sux (Dragon Master) wrote:

> That is my argument, don't except junk and all these junk game makers
> will fold, take Daggerfraud/Yawn for instance the most patched RPG in
> history and the a user pays beta testing game which has now set the
> standard for other junk games to follow.

This was my argument exactly, I don't know why someone (swanlee) tried to
twist it into something else.

Raise your standards, you will accomplish two things:

1. Put lamers and charlatans like Bethesda out of business. 2. Force a
higher level of accountability among the surviving companies across the
board.

This applies 100% to anybody who writes computer games for a living, me
included. The real deal is not afraid of real competition. What I am sick
of is people who can barely run under 75 seconds in the 400 meters
driving a golf cart over the finish line and then claiming "They're
winners."

There should be a level playing field economically and may the spoils go
to those who write the best games, not the companies with the biggest
publicity departments.

Neil Fradkin

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Dual One
> If you think Wiz Gold was/is boring on your boredom rating system
> Daggerfraud/Yawn must be mega-boring X 2 Where is the challenge in
> Daggerfraud/Yawn ( could it be the user pays beta test or waiting for
> the next crash or the next patch to arrive.) X2

I agree with both of you (if that possible). Wiz Gold was nothing but a
typing tutor. It was so packed with inane random combats that added no
value to the game whatsoever that it became boring quick. Sure they say
"600+" hours of play, but 599+ of them were hitting the same keys over
and over to get through the combat rounds, and the one hour left for
story (and those other crazy non combat things that make a CRPG) was
completely lost in the endless chain of combat.
Daggerfall's initial bug ridden release was unforgivable. That wasn't
what killed it for me though. It was the endless repition of walking
thorough huge empty dungeons. You'd get a quest to kill a gaint rat or
something, only to find the lair of the beast to be miles of empty
corridors (when did the rat get the time to build all this?).
Wiz Gold represents the worst of the old style RPGs while daggerfall
represents the worst of the new style RPGs.

Of couse we are talking about computer games here, which for some
reason people are taking way too seriously.

Werner Punz

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

dra...@cyberpromo.stinks (Dragon Master) wrote:

>Who cares what my email address is.

Of course after saying sux lets everybody killfile you like you've
asked so many times you posted a walktrhough you've removed the sux
and replaced it with stinks. I that was even low for you.

Werner
(Killfiling dracon again with a better filter)

---
mailto://we...@inflab.uni-linz.ac.at
http://witiko.ifs.uni-linz.ac.at/~werpu/

Warning every email with one or more $'s
in the topic or with ! or other obscure characters
or other obscure characters in the beginning
will be killfiltered automatically.

Werner Punz

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Dragon Master

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Cleve you hit it right on the head, Welcome disciple, now see if you
can hammer sense into the dullards who think Daggerfraud/Yawn is a
good game

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Dragon Master

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

You will waiting a long time.

"
"
"****************************************************
"Spam Notice:
"Remove the 'F#' from my email address to reach me...
"****************************************************
"For all you automated Spam-Progs out there, here are
"some really good addresses for ya...
"Chairman Reed Hundt: rhu...@fcc.gov
"Commissioner James Quello: jqu...@fcc.gov
"Commissioner Susan Ness: sn...@fcc.gov
"Commissioner Rachelle Chong: rch...@fcc.gov
"
"And let's help you send some spam to the USPS, too:
"cust...@email.usps.gov
"***************************************************

Dragon Master

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

True True very true

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:58:50 GMT, spectre911 @ hotmail.com (Thrasher)
wrote:

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Dragon Master

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

I forgot that, thanks

On 1 Aug 1997 00:43:47 -0400, lmi...@interlog.com (Led Mirage) wrote:

"In article <33e3537a...@news.zippo.com>,

"Dragon Master <dra...@cyberpromo.sux> wrote:
">Dual One
">How many?? Darklands was a junk game and just rates under
">Daggerfraud/Yawn for all time junk along with Deathkeep X2 I have
">played many RPG's and have found three that are mega junk they are
">Daggerfraud/Yawn/Darklands/Deathkeep the latter was not a user pays
">beta test X2
"

"You forgot Arena. If Daggerfraud/yawn is mega junk, Arena goes off
the
"scale.

Tim and Mary

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Dual One
> You cannot be serious Darklands a masterpiece another Microprose flop
> you name it I have played it so I think I can at least distinguish
> between great and junk (unlike you it seems)

Obviously you can not distinguish between good and junk. Heck, you can't
even distinguish between yourself. Or should that be, yourselves? I have
still yet to see you mention an RPG you LIKED, because you know the one
you like would probably be laughed off the planet.

> oh by the way Lord Dracon
> has been promoted to Lord Dracon Dragon Master
> ( a bit long winded so it is shortened to Dragon Master) X2

Long winded... yep, that's you alright.

Tim and Mary

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Dual One
> You take yourselves so seriously Daggerfraud/Yawn better than Wizardry
> Gold ROTFL x 1,000,000 X2

And as far as you are concerned, ROTFL x 1,000,000 X2. Ha!
And you STILL dodge the question: What IS your favorite RPG of all time?
Superhero League of Hoboken?

Dragon Master

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Keep on your toes!!

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

Led Mirage

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Tim and Mary

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Dragon Master wrote:

> Keep on your toes!!

Ummm... did your mom drop you on your head when you were a baby?

Tim and Mary

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

> In article <33e0ec92...@news.zippo.com>,
> dra...@cyberpromo.sux (Dragon Master) wrote:
> >
> > That is my argument, don't except junk and all these junk game makers
> > will fold, take Daggerfraud/Yawn for instance the most patched RPG in
> > history and the a user pays beta testing game which has now set the
> > standard for other junk games to follow.
> >

> This was my argument exactly, I don't know why someone (swanlee) tried to
> twist it into something else.
>
> Raise your standards, you will accomplish two things:
>
> 1. Put lamers and charlatans like Bethesda out of business. 2. Force a
> higher level of accountability among the surviving companies across the
> board.

Oh, wonderful. Now your highness is in the RPG newsgroup, also.
First, the Strategy Newsgroup, spouting myths and half-truths about
various magazine editors and the like, and now you are here calling
Bethesda a 'lamer' and 'Charlatan' company.
Until you put something out worth looking at, you can keep your
rhetoric. And I sure hope you've improved (and I mean REALLY improved)
Grimoire. While it did look like it had promise, it was a FAR CRY from
most RPGs I've played, even including, yes, Daggerfall.

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Does your mother know you are twins??

On Fri, 01 Aug 1997 01:30:37 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
"> Keep on your toes!!
"
"Ummm... did your mom drop you on your head when you were a baby?
"
"Tim

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Again with Daggerfraud/Yawn put it in perspective, a user pays beta
test and just about the junkiest game probably just beating Deathkeep
( at least it didn't crash 100 times a day)

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

It would appear that you find it harder to distinguish, saying
Darklands and Daggerfraud/Yawn are good (compared to what, Deathkeep
maybe !!)

On Fri, 01 Aug 1997 01:28:20 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
[...]

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

I have two, Fate, Gates of Dawn and Black Crypt. I have a soft spot
for Bane of the Cosmic Forge, Lands of Lore.

On Fri, 01 Aug 1997 01:29:27 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Dragon Master wrote:
">
"> Dual One

"> You take yourselves so seriously Daggerfraud/Yawn better than
Wizardry
"> Gold ROTFL x 1,000,000 X2
"
"And as far as you are concerned, ROTFL x 1,000,000 X2. Ha!
"And you STILL dodge the question: What IS your favorite RPG of all
time?
"Superhero League of Hoboken?
"

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:

> Again with Daggerfraud/Yawn put it in perspective, a user pays beta
> test and just about the junkiest game probably just beating Deathkeep
> ( at least it didn't crash 100 times a day)

Daggerfall RARELY crashes on me. It used to fairly often in the
beginning, maybe 4 times in a 6 hour period. Some players had worse
problems, yet I remember some players who swore it NEVER crashed for
them.
As for Deathkeep, that is the 2nd Worst Game I've ever played, right
after Red Crystal.

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:

> I have two, Fate, Gates of Dawn and Black Crypt. I have a soft spot
> for Bane of the Cosmic Forge, Lands of Lore.

Is this YOU, with a THIRD name now, Lord Dorkon/Dragon Master/Lord?

Who makes Fate, Gates of Dawn, and Black Crypt? Lands of Lore was one of
my favorites, but Bane (and all the other Wizardry titles) were just
plain boring to me.

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:

> Does your mother know you are twins??

No, because we're not. I am Tim. My wife is Mary. We share the same
account. It's really not that hard. Do you know what a girl is? Do you
know what a spouse is? If so, use some of your intellect and you will
realize that my wife and I share the same account. A lot of people do
that nowadays.

cl...@ans.com.au

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

In article <33E191...@worldnet.att.net>,

timan...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Oh, wonderful. Now your highness is in the RPG newsgroup, also.
> First, the Strategy Newsgroup, spouting myths and half-truths about
> various magazine editors and the like, and now you are here calling
> Bethesda a 'lamer' and 'Charlatan' company.
> Until you put something out worth looking at, you can keep your
> rhetoric. And I sure hope you've improved (and I mean REALLY improved)
> Grimoire. While it did look like it had promise, it was a FAR CRY from
> most RPGs I've played, even including, yes, Daggerfall.

Do you see any other companies putting their alphas up for a first look,
opening themselves wide up for abuse and mob violence on the WWW? No way,
they don't have the nerve, because they're not as confident/mentally
unbalanced/foolish enough.

Two or three days after I gave out a free alpha, a mob of angry rioters
dragged me into the village square, pilloried me, beat me, put a crown of
thorns on my head and forced me to walk a gauntlet of death while
thousands smashed me about the head and shoulders with release copies of
Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. ... I was then dragged to the nearest hill (I
think it was called Golgotha, meaning the place of fallen programmers)
and crucified beside Dr. Derek Smart ... who by this time was a bleached
skeleton (his bones picked clean by casual browsers) with a pair of
glasses.

After this revolting public drama of inhumane cruelty was played out,
more than 2000 people came to visit me at the base of my cross as I
expired to tell me they had actually enjoyed the alpha and were looking
forward to the real release. They gave me a sponge on a stick soaked in
drive cleaner fluid when I asked for water. "It ... it is not finished
..." I said, collapsing my head onto my chest in my last death throes.
"Truly," said a centurion standing close by,"This man was somewhat
strange and demented, but interesting in certain ways. I may even
register if he ever gets those breath weapons working."

Rumor has it I rose on the third day, got my compiler upgrade and resumed
work where I left off.

Obviously if I can weather this sort of exposure I must be pretty
confident I have something awfully good in my pants ... er, pockets ...
no, I mean hands ... well ... for public display ... forget it.

> rhetoric. And I sure hope you've improved (and I mean REALLY improved)
> Grimoire. While it did look like it had promise, it was a FAR CRY from
> most RPGs I've played, even including, yes, Daggerfall.

No, I've just sat on my hands like a complete moron for the past two
months, telling myself how great a programmer I am and tweaking text
placement and menus. I wouldn't want to REALLY improve it, because
everything was so perfect in the alpha ...

You WERE SUPPOSED to think it had promise, that is why it was called an
"Alpha." I am actually contemplating skipping the beta altogether and
just going to the shareware version, because if anything is less than
100% perfect this time around it is obvious I will never hear the end of
it.

Believe me, although graphically there have been several noteworthy
engine fixes and tweaks which have improved appearance enormously, the
most important thing about the upcoming GRIMOIRE is that it does not have
95% of the code disabled. When the alpha was released, there was so
little polished data for use in the game I just commented out whole
sections to keep it simple.

The version I have now is so totally awesome it would utterly devastate
your mind. Your eyeballs would explode like ripe grapes and spew effluent
in all directions like at the climax of "Scanners." Your hair would stand
on end. Your teeth would chatter and finally pop like overheated corn
kernels. In the end, your genitals would retract into your body from the
stress fight-or-flight reaction and it would take several hundred hours
of exploratory surgery to enable them to drop down as before.

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

What patch do you use with Daggerfall Version 1.2 ?? I have been
challenged to play Daggerfraud/Yawn for a computer magazine who want a
review comparison between it and Betrayal In Antara (strange request)

Because of their draconian heritage, a dracon will

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

I know that, forgive me Dual One. Which one pays the account or wears
the internet pants.??

On Sat, 02 Aug 1997 00:57:29 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:
">
"> Does your mother know you are twins??
"
"No, because we're not. I am Tim. My wife is Mary. We share the same
"account. It's really not that hard. Do you know what a girl is? Do
you
"know what a spouse is? If so, use some of your intellect and you will
"realize that my wife and I share the same account. A lot of people do
"that nowadays.
"

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

Dual One
I change my name every couple of days to keep kill filter freaks
happy. Fate Gates of Dawn was by Reline and Black Crypt was Raven
Software which was eventually soaked up by ID software ( they also did
Hexen) how sad you found Wizardry boring I have played them all (Wiz
1 Apple IIGS) X2

On Sat, 02 Aug 1997 00:54:04 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:
">
"> I have two, Fate, Gates of Dawn and Black Crypt. I have a soft
spot
"> for Bane of the Cosmic Forge, Lands of Lore.
">
"
"Is this YOU, with a THIRD name now, Lord Dorkon/Dragon Master/Lord?
"
"Who makes Fate, Gates of Dawn, and Black Crypt? Lands of Lore was one
of
"my favorites, but Bane (and all the other Wizardry titles) were just
"plain boring to me.
"

freaker

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:21:26 -0600, Tim and Mary
<timan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Dragon Master wrote:
>>
>> Dual One

>> If you think Wiz Gold was/is boring on your boredom rating system
>> Daggerfraud/Yawn must be mega-boring X 2 Where is the challenge in
>> Daggerfraud/Yawn ( could it be the user pays beta test or waiting for
>> the next crash or the next patch to arrive.) X2
>

>You can't read very well.
> I think Daggerfall blows away, completely, any of the Wizardry series.
>For that matter, so do all the Ultimas.
>
> Tim

Please, please, don't confuse the easily suggestible natives. Under
NO conditions can Daggerfall be compared to any of the Ultimas.
Daggerfall was a extremely poorly designed game that failed to
accomplish 90% of project objectives. When it became clear that the
sloppy, patch/hack code that was the very foundation of DF could not
be resolved without a complete rewrite (by hiring a capable
development group), Bethesda shoved it out the door with fingers
crossed. You may be tolerant of crap code, but any self-respecting
professional programmer (or amateur, for that matter) should be
cringing at Daggerfall. The graphics engine (previously developed for
the Terminator game) was the only highlight of this game.

- Rich

---------------------------
Victoria Concordia Cresit
---------------------------

swanlee

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

On 29 Jul 1997 20:57:38 GMT, "Rollo the Talking Dragon"
<Fr...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>You all take these games to personally alot
>> of you actually get offended if they put out a non rpg. That is truely
>> sad.
>
>One of the reasons for this newsgroup is to discuss these games! What else
>should we do besides discuss CRPGs???
>
>Rollo

Thier is a difference between talking about rpg's and making a fit
about it. You can talk about things without whining like babies which
most people here do not understand how to do. You can also learn not
to take this shit so seriously. If a game company wants to put out a
non rpg you do not have moan about for months on end or be like lord
dorkon and post here about it for years. Maybe you are so use to
seeing this crap you don't know what else to do in a newsgropup.

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:

> What patch do you use with Daggerfall Version 1.2 ?? I have been
> challenged to play Daggerfraud/Yawn for a computer magazine who want a
> review comparison between it and Betrayal In Antara (strange request)

A magazine asked YOU to compare Daggerfall to BIA? If any of the people
AT that magazine had a clue, they'd know what you 'review' is going to
say before you write it! :)

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:

> I know that, forgive me Dual One. Which one pays the account or wears
> the internet pants.??

Well, we both pay for the account, and we both wear pants. As for who
these messages are from, you need to learn how to read and look at how
the messages are signed.
What, jealous? Wanting to get out of your skirt?

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

lo...@savetrees.is.crap.com wrote:

> Dual One
> I change my name every couple of days to keep kill filter freaks
> happy. Fate Gates of Dawn was by Reline and Black Crypt was Raven
> Software which was eventually soaked up by ID software ( they also did
> Hexen) how sad you found Wizardry boring I have played them all (Wiz
> 1 Apple IIGS) X2

Dorkon,
That explains it all! You're an ex-APPLE user!
I tried Bane and Dark Savant, and deleted them quick-like.

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

freaker wrote:

> >You can't read very well.
> > I think Daggerfall blows away, completely, any of the Wizardry series.
> >For that matter, so do all the Ultimas.
> >
> > Tim
>
> Please, please, don't confuse the easily suggestible natives. Under
> NO conditions can Daggerfall be compared to any of the Ultimas.
> Daggerfall was a extremely poorly designed game that failed to
> accomplish 90% of project objectives. When it became clear that the
> sloppy, patch/hack code that was the very foundation of DF could not
> be resolved without a complete rewrite (by hiring a capable
> development group), Bethesda shoved it out the door with fingers
> crossed. You may be tolerant of crap code, but any self-respecting
> professional programmer (or amateur, for that matter) should be
> cringing at Daggerfall. The graphics engine (previously developed for
> the Terminator game) was the only highlight of this game.

Frankly, Rich, I could care less how great Daggerfall was,
programming-wise. Gameplay and what you can do in the game is the
important thing. You programmers can debate about how good (or bad) the
programming was, but Daggerfall was more fun than ANY of the Ultimas to
me, except Ultima IV, and that is the important thing to the customer.

Tim

Tim and Mary

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

> Do you see any other companies putting their alphas up for a first look,
> opening themselves wide up for abuse and mob violence on the WWW? No way,
> they don't have the nerve, because they're not as confident/mentally
> unbalanced/foolish enough.

I think it's because they are not 'mentally unbalanced or foolish
enough' to do so.

> Obviously if I can weather this sort of exposure I must be pretty
> confident I have something awfully good in my pants ... er, pockets ...
> no, I mean hands ... well ... for public display ... forget it.

Other companies of weathered worse, to go on to release complete flops.
Confidence is great, though...

> No, I've just sat on my hands like a complete moron for the past two
> months, telling myself how great a programmer I am and tweaking text
> placement and menus. I wouldn't want to REALLY improve it, because
> everything was so perfect in the alpha ...

...and sarcasm is ALMOST as important as Confidence, along with a nice
dose of Humor!

> You WERE SUPPOSED to think it had promise, that is why it was called an
> "Alpha." I am actually contemplating skipping the beta altogether and
> just going to the shareware version, because if anything is less than
> 100% perfect this time around it is obvious I will never hear the end of
> it.

If it's so good, why not have a professional publishing house take care
of it for you? Afraid of what they might say... or how hard they might
laugh?

> Believe me, although graphically there have been several noteworthy
> engine fixes and tweaks which have improved appearance enormously, the
> most important thing about the upcoming GRIMOIRE is that it does not have
> 95% of the code disabled. When the alpha was released, there was so
> little polished data for use in the game I just commented out whole
> sections to keep it simple.

So, it will look better AND run faster (P200), right? You're the
programmer, not I.

> The version I have now is so totally awesome it would utterly devastate
> your mind. Your eyeballs would explode like ripe grapes and spew effluent
> in all directions like at the climax of "Scanners." Your hair would stand
> on end. Your teeth would chatter and finally pop like overheated corn
> kernels. In the end, your genitals would retract into your body from the
> stress fight-or-flight reaction and it would take several hundred hours
> of exploratory surgery to enable them to drop down as before.

Somehow I really, really, really doubt this. From your messages on the
strategy newsgroup and such, the only thing that IS for sure is that you
are REALLY full of yourself, and would talk your game up this much just
to sell a few copies.
When all is 'final', if there is a demo of the 'final', I'd definitely
try it, regardless of your personality. Like most RPG fans, I'm starving
for another. Riva just didn't hack it, Diablo got boring after 10
minutes, and Wiz Gold was a joke. It's been almost a year since I
received the last good RPG I've played, Daggerfall. We could all use
another good title, and I'm wishing you luck that yours is it.
But... you can obviously talk the talk... but walk the walk?

Tim

It is loading more messages.