Daggerfall without Arena (was "Re: Giving up on Arena after a week...")

Charlie Hills

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
bart...@umd.edu wrote:

>Don't give up on this game. After all, who would want to start Daggerfall
>with a newbie character? :)

Hey, I was just thinking about this. Bethesda says Daggerfall is a sequel
as well as a standalone game. Will I feel "left out" playing Daggerfall
without ever seeing Arena? Any thoughts?

Charlie Hills
hil...@phibred.com or 7400...@compuserve.com
Still can't figure out why I like the following:
"You Remind Me Of The Babe. what babe? The Babe With The Power. what power?
The Power Of Voodoo. who do? You Do! do what? Remind Me Of The Babe."

Bethesda01

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
DAGGERFALL is a sequel to ARENA in so far as it is set in the same
world - but it is not a sequel in the AD&D sense where you need to start
with high level characters and not level 1 characters. The main difference
will be that higher level/imported characters will meet higher level
monsters
early on whereas level 1 character will have lower level monsters. While
we
know that many players also want to bring over their favorite ARENA
character
we can't believe that they won't want to try out the custom character
maker!

Don't forget that even with imported character you will need to get their
skills up to speed.
Bethesda Softworks

Charlie Hills

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
I replied via e-mail to Bethe...@aol.com, but thought I'd post an
excerpt from my message here, in case others have comments or agree
(or disagree).

1) Screenshots. I have to second the request from earlier
today about providing more screenshots of the outside world.
It seems like nearly all of your screenshots (from the ftp
site) are of the dungeon and most of these look like Jagadha
which we're all very familiar with now. I am VERY interested
in the rest Tamriel and would love some peeks at the outside
world.

2) Jumping. I believe I heard that in Arena you could "jump"
to another city. Does this jumping still take up "game" time?
That is, if it would have taken you several game-days by foot
to go to another village, will the "jump" still use up the
same number of game-days?

3) Win95. Rumor has it the final game WILL run under Win95?
Can you confirm?

4) Customizable interface. You've mentioned the ability to
map functions to the keyboard to suit all needs. Would this
include mapping mouse functionality to keystrokes? I
particularly dislike mouse/keyboard combination requirements
and would like to be able to do everything with one or the
other (preferably the keyboard). This is especially for
combat.

5) The ESC key. Sometimes the ESC key will remove a message
or "dialog" box (forgive the GUI terminology!). And then
sometimes it won't (for example, the "There are enemies
nearby" message when attempting to rest). It would be VERY
nice if the ESC key would consistently remove whatever is
currently displayed (rather than having to go to a mouse
click).

Jim Beavens

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
In article <49kdp5$r...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, William Criswell <criswell> wrote:
>>Don't forget that even with imported character you will need to get their
>>skills up to speed.
>> Bethesda Softworks
>
>Perhaps I missed one of your posts about this, but what exactly does this mean?
>Are my TES characters' stats going to be randomly decreased or something
>similar to this? I hope not, I spent a lot of time bringing my character
>up-to-speed in the first game.

No, he said skills, not stats. Remember that there are no skills in
Arena (are there? man, it's been a while since I played this). I
suspect that your skills will start at the same low level as a new
character in Daggerfall.

Personally, I'll probably play quite a bit with both my Arena character,
_and_ with a new one.

-- Jim, who deleted the demo after two days because he wants more
examples of other facets of this game besides hack-n-slash.

Jim Beavens
jbea...@ichips.intel.com
** I don't speak for Intel ** (they're not that foolish)

William Criswell

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
>Don't forget that even with imported character you will need to get their
>skills up to speed.
> Bethesda Softworks

Perhaps I missed one of your posts about this, but what exactly does this mean?
Are my TES characters' stats going to be randomly decreased or something
similar to this? I hope not, I spent a lot of time bringing my character
up-to-speed in the first game.

cris...@cs.purdue.edu

LoneWolf, Bethesda Softworks

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
In an unusual moment of clarity, hil...@phibred.com (Charlie Hills) wrote:

>1) Screenshots. I have to second the request from earlier
>today about providing more screenshots of the outside world.

Very good idea. I should have some new screenshots, from the outside, to add
to the web and FTP sites very shortly.

>2) Jumping. I believe I heard that in Arena you could "jump"
>to another city. Does this jumping still take up "game" time?
>That is, if it would have taken you several game-days by foot
>to go to another village, will the "jump" still use up the
>same number of game-days?

Yup it will. And in Daggerfall, you'll also be able to add certain flags to
this "jumping" such as "stop if you pass a temple" or something like that.
For example, let's say that your sick and don't have the ability to heal
yourself, but you know of a healer 3 days distant. You can "jump" to that
healer, but set up a flag to the effect of "if I pass a temple, which can
often help me heal or at the least stay alive a bit longer, then stop the jump
at the temple." Quite a cool feature I'd say... 8^)

>3) Win95. Rumor has it the final game WILL run under Win95?
>Can you confirm?

Confirmed. It will *not* be a native Win95 app, but it will be playable under
Win95.

>4) Customizable interface. You've mentioned the ability to
>map functions to the keyboard to suit all needs. Would this
>include mapping mouse functionality to keystrokes?

I repeat: "completely customizable." Any function, whether it defaults to the
mouse or the keyboard can be reassigned to a different key.

>5) The ESC key. Sometimes the ESC key will remove a message
>or "dialog" box (forgive the GUI terminology!). And then

>sometimes it won't.... It would be VERY

>nice if the ESC key would consistently remove whatever is
>currently displayed

Err... no promises on _that_ one, but I'll pass it around back here.

Again, if you, or anyone else for that matter, has any questions, please feel
free to email me.

Later,
LoneWolf
Bethesda Softworks Webmaster
---
webm...@bethsoft.com
feed...@bethsoft.com
http://www.bethsoft.com/

Bethesda01

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
I am talking about your skills - your stats will come over as they are.
But the
skill will be those of a level 1 character of your character class.
Remember
the skills are new for DAGGERFALL.
Bethesda Softworks

Ben Violette

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
In article <49kdp5$r...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, William Criswell <criswell> wrote:
Could it mean that there will be new skills and abilities all characters will
have but imported characters won't so you have to start out at zero? Like say
there's a repairing skill. No characters (except Paladins) had any ability to
replair. But if you start a new character he might have a small amount of
skill in it but an Arena character will start out at zero leaving you behind
in that area. Just a though.

-Ben

Simon Morley

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
Bethesda01 (bethe...@aol.com) wrote:
: DAGGERFALL is a sequel to ARENA in so far as it is set in the same

: world - but it is not a sequel in the AD&D sense where you need to start
: with high level characters and not level 1 characters. The main difference
: will be that higher level/imported characters will meet higher level
: monsters
: early on whereas level 1 character will have lower level monsters. While
: we
: know that many players also want to bring over their favorite ARENA
: character

What is needed to bring in a character? Do you have to have Arena
installed or is there a file that contains the relevant info. I may have
to reformat my drive, so I need to know how much I have to save.

: we can't believe that they won't want to try out the custom character
: maker!

Okay, okay, I'll try it ;-)
:
: Don't forget that even with imported character you will need to get their
: skills up to speed.

Does this mean that levels get reduced, or your really weak in DaggerFall
if you're only level 20?

: Bethesda Softworks
Thanks for the info.
--
Simon Morley smo...@perth.dialix.oz.au I speak only for myself

Anthony C.

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95
In article <49itg0$o...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Bethesda01 <bethe...@aol.com> wrote:
>DAGGERFALL is a sequel to ARENA in so far as it is set in the same
>world - but it is not a sequel in the AD&D sense where you need to start
:with high level characters and not level 1 characters. The main difference
:will be that higher level/imported characters will meet higher level
:monsters
:early on whereas level 1 character will have lower level monsters. While
:we
Well you cant please all the people all of the time.. :) but this was
one of the things I hated most about arena. As I increased in power, the
random monsters that I met also increased in power, but were always weak
enough so that I could defeat them. I did die of course, but it felt
"too easy". I dont know how else to describe it. It seems to me that there
ought to be tough and easy regions, rather than have the whole game increase
in difficulty. Also, I have to agree with someone who mentioned that the
live action fighting is really annoying. I much prefer an interface that
lets my character (or characters) each get an action (or multiple actions)
in a round based setting. Of course, this is not how your game works :)
just my opinion.

--
Anthony C.