Wizardry 7 - NPC's beating me to Items! and Wiz7 Patch

Omar Echammari

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
Thus spake AnthonyS <ast...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au>:

>1). The NPC's are beating me to a lot of the stuff that I'm supposed to
>be getting. IE. In the OrkOgre Castle you are supposed to get the
>?Temple? Map... When I got to the King's Chest - it was gone! The message
>was that 'Someone had beaten me to it...."
>Also in New City, I visisted the old guy at the library - The Key for the
>Old City is gone! Some 'Strangers' had come by and acquired before me!
>Bugger! Will I be able to get these items later? I hope so!

Don't worry. YOu be able to get those maps from them later - either by
stealing it from them, killing them or trade with them. If you use
Lore alot I think you'll get more encounters with all the NPC parties.
They'll start looking for you.

>2). What does the Wiz-7 patch do? I noticed that several of the items
>have Question Marks for pictures - does it fix this?

No. It's supposed to be that way.

Omar

>Thanks for any info...

> _ _
> ( \-/ )_.-'"``-._
> o o `| -._ )-;-,_`)
> =(v_,)= _ )--\\ ``-'
> _.- _..-_/ / ((_/
> ((_.-' ((_/

> "My Cat, Wolfy" - ast...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au
> (Anthony Staude)

Lynn Johannesen

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
AnthonyS (ast...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
: 1). The NPC's are beating me to a lot of the stuff that I'm supposed to

: be getting. IE. In the OrkOgre Castle you are supposed to get the
: ?Temple? Map... When I got to the King's Chest - it was gone! The message
: was that 'Someone had beaten me to it...."
: Also in New City, I visisted the old guy at the library - The Key for the
: Old City is gone! Some 'Strangers' had come by and acquired before me!
: Bugger! Will I be able to get these items later? I hope so!
This is normal. You can get the maps later, by buying them or killing
whichever NPC winds up with them. The librarian has another Old City
key which he will give you when you say the right thing to him (you'll
find out what this is much later in the game).

: 2). What does the Wiz-7 patch do? I noticed that several of the items

: have Question Marks for pictures - does it fix this?

The only patch I know of is a fix to make it work on Pentiums (or is
the plural Pentia?) Don't think it affects the question marks, which
are intentional.

AnthonyS

Lesley Moore

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
AnthonyS <ast...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:

>1). The NPC's are beating me to a lot of the stuff that I'm supposed to
>be getting. IE. In the OrkOgre Castle you are supposed to get the
>?Temple? Map... When I got to the King's Chest - it was gone! The message
>was that 'Someone had beaten me to it...."
>Also in New City, I visisted the old guy at the library - The Key for the
>Old City is gone! Some 'Strangers' had come by and acquired before me!
>Bugger! Will I be able to get these items later? I hope so!

I think you'll find it's the blueprints to Old City that are gone.
You have to ask Prof Wunderland about the Archives to get the key you
need....once you get into the archives you may find that someone beat
you to it again <g>

>2). What does the Wiz-7 patch do? I noticed that several of the items
>have Question Marks for pictures - does it fix this?

It's nothing to do with fixing the ?'s these are supposed to be like
this. People using Pentiums had a divide overflow error and the patch
fixes this.

>Thanks for any info...

You're welcome.

Les

--
l...@lovers.demon.co.uk

If life is a bowl of cherries
how come I get all the pips?

Ali Parr

Jul 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/25/95
In article b...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au, AnthonyS <ast...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:
> 1). The NPC's are beating me to a lot of the stuff that I'm supposed to
> be getting. IE. In the OrkOgre Castle you are supposed to get the
> ?Temple? Map... When I got to the King's Chest - it was gone! The message
> was that 'Someone had beaten me to it...."
> Also in New City, I visisted the old guy at the library - The Key for the
> Old City is gone! Some 'Strangers' had come by and acquired before me!
> Bugger! Will I be able to get these items later? I hope so!

Well, the reasoning that I use is that there are many NPC's roaming the place,
and several of them will have the missing maps/items. If you ask a friendly
NPC about rumours, then they will tell you who has a map/item. All you
have to do then is find that NPC and either trade with them or kill them.

> 2). What does the Wiz-7 patch do? I noticed that several of the items
> have Question Marks for pictures - does it fix this?

The Question Mark is actually the symbol for miscellaneous items, not a bug.

> Thanks for any info...

Hope it helps,

Ali.