Top 5 Underrated games?

Silverlock

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On 2 Apr 1997 01:21:04 GMT, sle...@chat.carleton.ca (Steven Leigh)
wrote:

>> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
>
> I played the demo, and couldn't figure out how to control my sub
>really, then I meandered around for a bit. Then I fired some silly Wing
>Commandereque lasers around and that was about it. Maybe I was missing
>something?

thats the one thing AD lacks is user defined key setting. It sucks
having to use the T rrows instead of the numeric keypad. other then
that I am finding it alot of fun. And that intro movie is IMO one of
the best ive ever seen.

> > 3. The Summoning
> Is this the game that was very similar to Diablo ( except it came
>out years before of course )
>
>> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
>
> Never heard of it
>> 5. Relentless
>
> And excellent game, but I eventually got stuck in an arcade
>sequence ( and I am good at arcade stuff ) where I kept dying and it took
>too long to get back to that point again and again.
>

> Steve
>"He drank ice crystals laced with midnight and watched their world burn"
>-Harlan Ellison

Silverlock, UIN 474725

Household Pests? The SW-404 'SpitFire' APRL cleansing system
will remove them, we Guarantee IT! Not responsible for damage
to persons or structures from use of this product.
Dial 1-800-FRY-THEM for info and a home demonstration.

KeyzerSoze

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
worth these are my top 5.

1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
2. Archimidean Dynasty
3. The Summoning

4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic

5. Relentless

I know there are probably a lot of games that should be on this list,
but I haven't heard of them since they're underrated. So please post
your opinions, so I know what to look for when I go to the computer
store.

John McGrath

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

KeyzerSoze wrote:

> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
> underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
> games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
> worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless

Add to this BURN:CYCLE . few people talk about it and it can be picked
up
cheaply but it's a great, stylish (if you liked "trainspotting" the
movie)adventure and the game runs on windows AND mac from the one cd.

Alan Jay Dion

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

I don't think System Shock was "underrated. I agree it's a great
game but I think it sold well and got good reviews when it
came out. Same with Relentless. My list for truely underrated
games would be, not in any special order.

Planet's Edge
Darklands
Legacy (Microprose)
Ishar 3
Dusk of the Gods (precursor to The Summoning)

Alan

KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<3340B9...@pacbell.net>...

> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
> underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
> games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
> worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless

Stuart Southerland

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Well, it might be premature, but I've just gotten started on a game called
"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" I am playing it on a Macintosh. I
traded for the game, and it's a good thing that I did, 'cause I don't
think that any of the usual channels had it in stock. Even the
manufacturer didn't respond to my email.

So far, so good. It's a very serious game, real science fiction, not Star
Wars stuff. The voices are great. I love the computer's voice. The art
is good, it's that guy who did the alien interior stuff. I'm not sure
about the puzzles, but the story is great. Those who think that the story
is the most important thing, a la Gabriel Knight, should love this.

I would call it underrated for the PC platform as well, but especially the Mac.

--
stus...@ionet.net

Jeff Pack

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

In article <01bc3e95$1e1d09c0$6d01b8cd@default>, "Alan Jay Dion" <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
><3340B9...@pacbell.net>...
>> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
>> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
>> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
>> underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
>> games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
>> worth these are my top 5.
>>
>> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
>> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
>> 3. The Summoning
>> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
>> 5. Relentless

My obligatory five:

1. Dragon Wars
Great game. Arguably better than Wasteland. Its main fault is that
it was designed for the Apple II when that machine was on its way out.
2. Wizardry IV: Return of Werdna
Originally for the Apple, and with early Wizardry graphics, but you
got to be the bad guy and go around killing characters--a great twist, and one
I haven't seen since (since I've yet to see Dungeon Keeper).
3. Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic
Played this at a friend's house who had an EGA adapter, and was wowed.
And to think, it had a plot to go with pretty pictures and gameplay! Unheard
of these days.
4. Tangled Tales
Comic RPGs never really get taken seriously, but Tangled Tales took up
a lot of my time. More an adventure game, actually, but still closer to an
RPG than what passes for one these days.
5. Keef the Thief
Originally designed for the IIGS (I think). I played the port to IBM
with a VGA card and a Game Blaster sound card. Graphics were pretty good,
sound was great, interface was mediocre, but the game was just *funny*. (Of
course, I was about 13 at the time... maybe it'd seem silly now.)
5. Keef the Thief

Louie landale

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

KeyzerSoze wrote:

> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
> underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
> games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
> worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless

6. Command HQ. For its time a great game.
7. Eye of Beholder (EOB) trilogy.
8. Sword of Aragon.

Kyle Haight

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

In article <stusouth-010...@tsip1-44.ionet.net>,

Agreed. This is a serious, maturely written game. Plus, the voice of
the computer is done by Harlan Ellison. What more could anyone ask?

--
Kyle Haight
kha...@netcom.com

"We are mice, posting to Usenet in the first stages of a complex plan
to Take Over The WORLD!"

Susan

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

>I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
>this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
>there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
>underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
>games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
>worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock -- the greatest game ever made in my opinion

Games now comprise a number of huge categories on the computer.
I am interested in Adventure games and not just any adventure game but
ones that weave a story of exploration of some sort with puzzles that
appear seamless. Action, puzzle, shooter or arcade, and RPG
adventures usually do not hold my interest and usually do cause
moments of great frustration that I do not enjoy at all. System Shock
may be an exception? I loved exploring the two Ultima Underworld RPG
adventures.

Tell me if there are any difficult frustrating impossible to
manage moments in System Shock please? Is there a good review
remaining somewhere for the game? Thanks.

For recent underrated adventures of the "purer" type that I would
include in The Adventure List, I would nominate "Amber: Journeys
Beyond".

I get very upset at Egghead and CompUSA. They will listen to
your recommendations for carrying a game but I cannot talk to their
buyers. If the buyers don't buy games like "Amber" then guess what?
"Amber" becomes history and is termed underrated in this sense at
least. Guess what else? The games that sell are the games that show
up in the Top 10 Lists and the Internet PC Games Chart.

The top selling adventures do not necessarily represent the best
adventures. There are underrated adventures too that might strike
someone's fancy as much as a top selling one.

I don't work for the folks that wrote "Amber" but I am missing
their AMBERegg1.jpg. :)

* Susan * <Sus...@concentric.net>

Bridget Farace

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Steven Leigh wrote:

> > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
>
> I played the demo, and couldn't figure out how to control my sub
> really, then I meandered around for a bit. Then I fired some silly Wing
> Commandereque lasers around and that was about it. Maybe I was missing
> something?
>
> > 3. The Summoning
> Is this the game that was very similar to Diablo ( except it came
> out years before of course )
Yeah. Except it wasn't random. But it had characters you could create
yourself,
instead of just three that you could choose from. It was nice. The
magic
system was interesting, but it was a pain sometimes. I had to start
over
once because I broke my only bottle, and I couldn't make anymore healing
potions,
and I had no saved games from before it broke. :P It had very nice
graphics
though. It was more puzzly than Diablo too.
I still have it somewhere, but it wouldn't work when I got a new
computer
and tried to install it. I think the data on one of my installation
disks is
corrupted. Pity. It was a neat game.

> > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
>

> Never heard of it
> > 5. Relentless
>
> And excellent game, but I eventually got stuck in an arcade
> sequence ( and I am good at arcade stuff ) where I kept dying and it took
> too long to get back to that point again and again.
>
> Steve
> "He drank ice crystals laced with midnight and watched their world burn"
> -Harlan Ellison

Bridget

Rob "Xemu" Fermier

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Alan Jay Dion <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<01bc3e95$1e1d09c0$6d01b8cd@default>...

> I don't think System Shock was "underrated. I agree it's a great
> game but I think it sold well and got good reviews when it

<snip>

Well, as a programmer on the game I wasn't particularly privy to the sales
numbers, especially since the chain of information involved two separate
companies, but we (the Shock team) were told several times that Shock's
sales numbers were disappointing, and insufficient to justify a sequel.
Don't know whether or not LG broke even with the game, I believe so but not
by a whole lot. I think it basically just got a bit under-marketed and
overshadowed by the DOOM craze which was hitting at the same time. Which I
can understand, Shock is a game with a pretty steep learning curve and
whose real value comes as you get into the game while DOOM is a fun game
which is instantly accessible.

It did get quite good reviews though, but as LG has learned quite
empirically, good reviews do not necessarily translate to good sales (for
example, Terra Nova, and to a lesser extent Shock).

-- Rob "Xemu" Fermier
xe...@earthlink.net

Steven Leigh

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

> 2. Archimidean Dynasty

I played the demo, and couldn't figure out how to control my sub
really, then I meandered around for a bit. Then I fired some silly Wing
Commandereque lasers around and that was about it. Maybe I was missing
something?

> 3. The Summoning
Is this the game that was very similar to Diablo ( except it came
out years before of course )

Chris Butcher

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Susan wrote:

> > 1. System Shock -- the greatest game ever made in my opinion
>
> Games now comprise a number of huge categories on the computer.
> I am interested in Adventure games and not just any adventure game but
> ones that weave a story of exploration of some sort with puzzles that
> appear seamless. Action, puzzle, shooter or arcade, and RPG
> adventures usually do not hold my interest and usually do cause
> moments of great frustration that I do not enjoy at all. System Shock
> may be an exception? I loved exploring the two Ultima Underworld RPG
> adventures.
>
> Tell me if there are any difficult frustrating impossible to
> manage moments in System Shock please? Is there a good review
> remaining somewhere for the game? Thanks.

[snip]

I think you'll find that the settable difficulty levels in System Shock
will be a great help for you ... you can set combat to 0 and the action
elements will all disappear. Exploration was the best element of this
game for me as well.

Unfortunately some of the puzzles are a little artificial (having to
rewire a circuit panel to open a door gets a little tedious by the fifth
time) but this isn't really a big problem. It's a wonderfully atmospheric
game.

Chris Butcher
cbut...@atlas.otago.ac.nz

Kahlil Thomas (SM 1996)

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

: KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
: <3340B9...@pacbell.net>...
: > I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for

: > this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
: > there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
: > underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
: > games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
: > worth these are my top 5.
: >

: > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
: > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
: > 3. The Summoning
: > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
: > 5. Relentless

: >
: > I know there are probably a lot of games that should be on this list,
: > but I haven't heard of them since they're underrated. So please post
: > your opinions, so I know what to look for when I go to the computer
: > store.

I think Starflight 2 was the number one underrated game of all time.

KVT

Namae

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:28:15 -0800, KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
>this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
>there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
>underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
>games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
>worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless
>
> I know there are probably a lot of games that should be on this list,
>but I haven't heard of them since they're underrated. So please post
>your opinions, so I know what to look for when I go to the computer
>store.

I say Terra Nova is the number one.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

If you want to see some cool stuff, please check out my System Shock
Unofficial Page at the URL below. It's got a lot of stuff, and It will be
updated very often.

BTW, I DESPERATELY need more petition signings. So far, since it started
on 2/28/97, I've gotten about 35 petition signings. Not bad, but could be
better. I need MANY people to sign it. Thanks

Don't forget to sign!

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock

Chris Butcher <cbut...@tigger.otago.ac.nz> wrote in article
<Pine.OSF.3.91.97040...@tigger.otago.ac.nz>...

Bill Anderson

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote:

In the adventure/RPG category, I would add two games.

First, Betrayal at Krondor. Great adventure game from Sierra, and now
available FREE from their website.

Orpheo's Curse (Are You Afraid of the Dark) I've seen very little
comment on this game, possibly because it ends up in the kid's
section. Adventure game set in a theatre in Chicago. Myst-type
scenes, but based on a real theatre - I liked just walking around the
building.

Bill A.

Susan

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

>Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
>http://www.icode.com/shock
>(My Unofficial System Shock Page)

No DNS for icode.com. Did you spell it right or is it down
sometimes? Thanks.

* Susan * <Sus...@concentric.net>

Matthew Duncan

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <01bc3e95$1e1d09c0$6d01b8cd@default>,

Alan Jay Dion <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>I don't think System Shock was "underrated. I agree it's a great
>game but I think it sold well and got good reviews when it
>came out. Same with Relentless. My list for truely underrated
>games would be, not in any special order.
>
> Planet's Edge
> Darklands
> Legacy (Microprose)
> Ishar 3
> Dusk of the Gods (precursor to The Summoning)
>
>Alan

Whoo Hoo!! Someone else who's played Planet's Edge. You know, I had a guy
who E-mailed me come by my office to get hints from my hint book. Hehehe,
that game was tough but cool. Darklands is another gem.

Matt.

Matthew Duncan

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <3340B9...@pacbell.net>,

KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
>this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
>there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
>underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
>games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
>worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless
>
> I know there are probably a lot of games that should be on this list,
>but I haven't heard of them since they're underrated. So please post
>your opinions, so I know what to look for when I go to the computer
>store.

Archimidean Dynasty got 4.5 out 5 stars in CGW. I agree about System
Shock.

Matt.

nihil

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Bing wrote:

> > > : >
> > > : > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion

> > > : > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> > > : > 3. The Summoning
> > > : > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> > > : > 5. Relentless
> > > : >
> >

> Here are my choices:
>
> 1. Sentinel Worlds 1 (What happened to 2?)
> 2. Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception
> 3. Kings of the Beach
> 4. XOR Football Challenge
> 5. Double Dragon

This is what I choose:

1. Air Hockey
2. Secret of Mana (It was always compared to more popular games like
Chrono Trigger and FFIII which are completely different style games).
3. Assault Rigs
4. Sky Roads
5. Wacky Wheels

I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.
My top 5 are:

1. Secret of Mana
2. StoneKeep
3. Mechwarrior 2
4. Air Hockey
5. Zelda games

List more than 5 if you want to.

#4 is supposed to say Return to Zork. (The person who made the error
has been sacked)

Brian Ekberg

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

> : KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
> : <3340B9...@pacbell.net>...

> : >

> : > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> : > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> : > 3. The Summoning
> : > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> : > 5. Relentless
> : >

Well I would place EA's Sentinel World's much further up that list (like
right around number 1 or higher) but it's just nice to see it on the list.
As everyone here knows, that's my favorite game of all time!

Brian

Bing

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

> > : >
> > : > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> > : > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> > : > 3. The Summoning
> > : > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> > : > 5. Relentless
> > : >

Here are my choices:

Quin Ryu

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Andy Kromkamp wrote:

> >5. Ultima 7 (many think 4 and 6 are better, but I disagree)
> >

> U5 is the clearly winner of the series IMO.

U7. The best of the series. Even Lord British himself said so.

$.02

Chris Butcher

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Jeff Pack wrote:

> My obligatory five:
>
> 1. Dragon Wars
> Great game. Arguably better than Wasteland. Its main fault is that
> it was designed for the Apple II when that machine was on its way out.
> 2. Wizardry IV: Return of Werdna
> Originally for the Apple, and with early Wizardry graphics, but you
> got to be the bad guy and go around killing characters--a great twist, and one
> I haven't seen since (since I've yet to see Dungeon Keeper).

[snip]

Funny that ... Bullfrog haven't released Dungeon Keeper yet, and I
believe there was some ruckus over Peter Molyneux possibly leaving. I
hope we get to see Dungeon Keeper, but this may prove to be a false hope.

Chris Butcher
cbut...@atlas.otago.ac.nz

James Battista

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

: > I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for

: > this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
: > there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
: > underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
: > games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
: > worth these are my top 5.

: >
: > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
: > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
: > 3. The Summoning
: > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
: > 5. Relentless
: >

Disney's _Stunt Island_ clearly belongs here. I still play this from time to time.
How I'd love to see a high-res, 3d-accelerator version with an object editor...

Jim Battista
PhD candidate, Dept of Political Science, Duke Univ.
jim...@mail.duke.edu
king of the impossible

Veteran

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Underrated huh? My list would be:

1. Terra Nova
2. You Don't Know Jack series (incredible games!)
3. Pirates
4. F15 Strike Eagle 3
5. Missionforce Cyberstorm

Veteran

>I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
>this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
>there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
>underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
>games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
>worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless

John Kumiko & Jennifer Ewing

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

My top under-rated games are:
1. System Shock
2. System Shock
3. System Shock
4. System Shock, and (drum roll)
5. System Shock !!!

Sorry 'bout that, but I absolutely LOVED this little gem,
and I'm STILL not even HALF done yet.

Michael J. Solomon

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

>I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.
>My top 5 are:
>
>1. Secret of Mana
>2. StoneKeep
>3. Mechwarrior 2
>4. Air Hockey
>5. Zelda games

I always answer this question with these two games -->

1. Dune. NOT Dune II by WestWood Studios but the original Dune by Cryo.
Unbelievable what they did with an FM Synthesizer.

2. Ultima VIII: Pagan - The game wasn't that great, but the music was very
realistic on a SCC-1.

Stephen Robertson

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Rob "Xemu" Fermier <xe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> It did get quite good reviews though, but as LG has learned quite
> empirically, good reviews do not necessarily translate to good sales (for
> example, Terra Nova, and to a lesser extent Shock).

As someone who also works in the games industry I have to agree. In my
experience it doesn't really matter how good a game is - it's marketing and
hype that cause a game to sell.

I know that's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is. I've worked
on a few games that got really good reviews which just didn't sell due to
poor marketing, while really bad games sold by the bucket load because they
were hyped.

The best combination is a good game and great marketing. Pity we don't see
that too often.

Message for Rob Firmier:
I still think that System Shock CD is one of the best PC games ever - very
well designed, well programmed, incredible sound FX and voice acting. The
most atmospheric and downright _scary_ game I've ever played. Thank you,
and the rest of the Shock team for giving me hours of gaming pleasure. I
also really like Terra Nova - I don't know if you were involved in that
one. Again one of the best ever PC games and it's an injustice it didn't
sell well.

By the way both System Shock and Terra Nova are available in the UK on
Budget at around £10. At that price they are the bargains of the year. I
strongly urge any gamer who's not played them to buy them - at that price
they're a must have.

Steve R.
robe...@ppi.philips.co.uk

Susan

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

>overshadowed by the DOOM craze which was hitting at the same time. Which I
>can understand, Shock is a game with a pretty steep learning curve and
>whose real value comes as you get into the game while DOOM is a fun game
>which is instantly accessible.

This is a very interesting point about learning curves.
Daggerfall has what I think is a very steep learning curve. In fact
it was to steep for me and the built in tutorial was awful. I wonder
if you can compare "System Shock's" learning curve to "Daggerfall's"
or to "Ultima Underworld's". I got through learning "Ultima
Underworld's" curve but "Daggerfall" failed miserably. Does "Shock"
require a whole bunch of keyboard commands or is it largely mouse
driven like most "normal" adventures are? I don't remember
"Underworld" enough to recall its keyboard but whatever it was I
adapted to it without any stress.

* Susan * <Sus...@concentric.net>

Todd A Carter

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <01bc3eda$5777e880$c70a...@shadow.multitude>,

Rob \"Xemu\" Fermier <xe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Alan Jay Dion <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
><01bc3e95$1e1d09c0$6d01b8cd@default>...

>> I don't think System Shock was "underrated. I agree it's a great
>> game but I think it sold well and got good reviews when it
>
><snip>
>
>Well, as a programmer on the game I wasn't particularly privy to the sales
>numbers, especially since the chain of information involved two separate
>companies, but we (the Shock team) were told several times that Shock's
>sales numbers were disappointing, and insufficient to justify a sequel.
>Don't know whether or not LG broke even with the game, I believe so but not
>by a whole lot. I think it basically just got a bit under-marketed and

snip

That's too bad. I also really loved System Shock. I wouldn't hesitate to
buy a sequel; I can't think of a more immersive game. The whole ambience
of the game, wandering through the different gardens... It FELT like a
space station should feel (like I'd know :)! It was one of the few
science fiction genre games that captured the feel of it all.

And the different settings for each part of the game made for the ability
to adjust the game completely to a persons liking.

Sigh.

I've got $60 bucks for a sequel. Anyone wanna make one?

--Todd Carter

Ajaipal Tanwar

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <33432D...@lightspeed.net>, nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net> wrote:
>I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.
>My top 5 are:
>
>1. Secret of Mana
>2. StoneKeep
>3. Mechwarrior 2
>4. Air Hockey
>5. Zelda games

The best music in any game using the plain ole SB was Star Control 2. The
Spathi theme still runs through my head.

And I still play the MW2 cd at work in the background.

--
Hungry Dragon | Ajaipal Tanwar(joe...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)
-==(UDIC)==- | University of Texas @ Austin

Peter

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Azeael's Tear definately belongs on this list. It's got a great story (the
best) and graphics to match!!

KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<3340B9...@pacbell.net>...

John M Clancy

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

KeyzerSoze wrote:

> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
> underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
> games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
> worth these are my top 5.
>
> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> 3. The Summoning
> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> 5. Relentless
>
> I know there are probably a lot of games that should be on this list,
> but I haven't heard of them since they're underrated. So please post
> your opinions, so I know what to look for when I go to the computer
> store.

Here's mine:

1. Empire Deluxe (New World Computing) Still on my HD.
2. Conquered Kingdoms (QQP) Lots of replay.
3. ShadowCaster (Looking Glass) Good, but too short.
4. Chaos Overlords (New World Computing) I liked it, just needed a
little more.
5. Ultima Underworld (Origin) Was popular but not enough acclaim IMO.
This
was the greatest game I ever played.

I wish they would make updated sequels for all of these.
I would buy them in a heartbeat!

--
John M Clancy
"Those that give up freedom for safety deserve neither"

B. Kidd

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

You are 105% correct, my friend. Star Control 2 definitely had it all.

--
B. Kidd

Chris West

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Michael J. Solomon wrote:

> >I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.
> >My top 5 are:
> >
> >1. Secret of Mana
> >2. StoneKeep
> >3. Mechwarrior 2
> >4. Air Hockey
> >5. Zelda games
>
> I always answer this question with these two games -->
>
> 1. Dune. NOT Dune II by WestWood Studios but the original Dune by Cryo.
> Unbelievable what they did with an FM Synthesizer.
>
> 2. Ultima VIII: Pagan - The game wasn't that great, but the music was very
> realistic on a SCC-1.

My favorite games, as far as music goes ->

1. Star Control II - Sometimes I would play this just to listen to the
music. Better yet, the sound and music can play out of a PC Speaker. =)

2. Dune II - I don't remember the Original Dune's music, but I loved
Dune II's.

3. Mechwarrior II - Sets the mood for the game perfectly.

4. The Killing Game Show - I actually only had the demo for the Amiga,
but I still have a .mod file of the in-game music on a disk at home.

As far as underrated games go ->

1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to reach
the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM clone
EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I have
yet to try Interplay's "sequel".

2. Reach for the Stars - My favorite game of all time (I could probably
win it wearing a blindfold), at least until I bought a little game
called MOO.

3. Turbo - (O.K. So my list is bit heavy on Amiga games, but I'm having
a bit of trouble thinking of underrated PC games I have played. Maybe if
we did a list of OVERRATED games....) A fun and violent racing game.
Single player wasn't too great but it was a blast in split screen mode.
It was a sad day a few years back when the disk was corrupted. (If
anyone out there has it for the Amiga and would like to part with it,
e-mail me =) ).

4. One Must Fall - (Token PC game) My favorite fighter until SSF2T-CD.

5. Magic Carpet I/II - (Okay, so I'm finally starting to think of a
few...) Sure they enjoyed a certain degree of success, but Magic Carpet
was a far better game than similar, more popular games of its era (for
example - DOOM). Maybe if the monsters turned into blood and guts
instead of golden balls.....

6. Outpost - Hehe, just kidding. =)

Todd Howard

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Easy , and i don't agree with System Shock, and Mech 2...they have
received plenty of kudos and awards:

5. Ultima 7 (many think 4 and 6 are better, but I disagree)

4. Times of Lore (Chris Robert's first game for Origin and the original
parserless interface that sierra stole)
3. Future Shock (full 3D, mouselook, etc...a year before Quake)
2. Karateka (first game to have cutscenes and cinematic features, on the
Apple 2 none the less!!)
1. The Horde (great game by the makes of SC2, that got no credit)

- todd

Adam Atkinson

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Hired Guns (at least in the PC community)
Captive (cos it was too hard to get into, but IS worth the effort)

um. that's all I can think of right now :-)

Adam Atkinson (gh...@mistral.co.uk)
"That's the biggest shark I've ever seen" he said, superficially.

Franc Kaos

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On 1 Apr 97 20:23:23 GMT, "Rob \"Xemu\" Fermier" <xe...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
<System Shock>

>Well, as a programmer on the game I wasn't particularly privy to the sales
>numbers, especially since the chain of information involved two separate
>companies, but we (the Shock team) were told several times that Shock's
>sales numbers were disappointing, and insufficient to justify a sequel.
Well, I bought it twice, once new in 3.5 floppy, and cheap CDROM to
play the enhanced SVGA version, definitely an underrated but excellent
game, one of a very few I bothered finishing... and surely it's still
making money, it's one of the few games that still gets spoken of
highly and still looks good... and is always on store shelves.

>It did get quite good reviews though, but as LG has learned quite
>empirically, good reviews do not necessarily translate to good sales (for
>example, Terra Nova, and to a lesser extent Shock).
Must admit fighting games in general don't hold me, played the demo of
TN, loved the landscape, loathed the game(play).
Franc Kaos ~ Delete asterisk from beginning and end
of email address ~ Too much spamming! ~ Cheers

Gamma

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Ajaipal Tanwar <joe...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:

>nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net> wrote:
>>I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.
>>My top 5 are:
>>
>>1. Secret of Mana
>>2. StoneKeep
>>3. Mechwarrior 2
>>4. Air Hockey
>>5. Zelda games
>
>The best music in any game using the plain ole SB was Star Control 2. The
>Spathi theme still runs through my head.

Indeed. In fact, did you try it without the SB? Like, with the
plain ol' PC speaker??? Gadzooks, they were playin' it through
the speaker and -still- sounded good... I even yanked out the
MODs to play from time to time. :)

Other good music:

Eric the Unready - I still wish I could have pulled out the
MIDIs for this. And in fact, I would pick EtU for the previous
list, of the most underrated games...

Ultima Underworld II - I loved the ice world theme...

DOOM - HA HA HA!! Okay, just kidding... maybe a couple of those
tunes were good.

Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail - great jazz.

King's Quest IV: Perils of Rosella - when it came out, sound
cards were still uncommon. Still, it did wonderful things
with that tinny lil' PC speaker.

Again, as far as underrated games - definitely Eric the Unready.
In fact, I got to try Spellcasting 101 and liked it as well
(same format, also underrated). Add to that Darklands (despite
all the bugs) and Lost Treasures of Infocom (I and II).

Paul Brinkley
ga...@clark.net

Panache

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:50:39 GMT, Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu>
uttered these pearls of wisdom:

>As far as underrated games go ->
>
>1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
>not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to reach
>the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM clone
>EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I have
>yet to try Interplay's "sequel".

Ya beat me too it! Dungeon Master was a blast to play... I had FUN
with that game.. as well as Chaos Strikes Back. I remember the
beginning of Chaos Strikes Back.. when my party got dropped into a pit
of purple worms. My first words: "Oh, shit."

2. Sundog - Frozen Legency.
3. System Shock - 'Nuff Said.
4. The Phantasie series. (Not "Phantasie Star".) It was a CRPG back
in the early mid 80's.
5. Bacchus (Or something like that. It was released for the Atari ST
by Psygnosis in the mid 80's)

--------
"Only the crazies hang around nursery."

Remove the "X" in front of my name if you want to send me email.
Hopefully, this will kill some of the damn spam.

Yevgeny Glazamitsky

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Dinosaurs still ruled the Earth when ta...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu (Todd
A Carter) wrote thusly:

>In article <01bc3eda$5777e880$c70a...@shadow.multitude>,

>Rob \"Xemu\" Fermier <xe...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>Alan Jay Dion <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
>><01bc3e95$1e1d09c0$6d01b8cd@default>...
>>> I don't think System Shock was "underrated. I agree it's a great
>>> game but I think it sold well and got good reviews when it
>>
>><snip>
>>

>>Well, as a programmer on the game I wasn't particularly privy to the sales
>>numbers, especially since the chain of information involved two separate
>>companies, but we (the Shock team) were told several times that Shock's
>>sales numbers were disappointing, and insufficient to justify a sequel.

>>Don't know whether or not LG broke even with the game, I believe so but not
>>by a whole lot. I think it basically just got a bit under-marketed and
>
>snip
>
>That's too bad. I also really loved System Shock. I wouldn't hesitate to
>buy a sequel; I can't think of a more immersive game. The whole ambience
>of the game, wandering through the different gardens... It FELT like a
>space station should feel (like I'd know :)! It was one of the few
>science fiction genre games that captured the feel of it all.

The problem with Looking Glass is that a list of top 5 underrated games
can be made from their games alone. Ultima Underworld and UU2 were not
major sellers according to Origin, System Shock appears to have just broken
even, Terra Nova lost money and AFAIK Flight Unlimited was not a hit
either. I loved UUs and System Shock, and while I haven't played either
TN or FU, they appear to be well-liked by people whose opinion I respect.
But none of these sold well.

Maybe if LG appealed to lowest common denominator and released a superficial
real-time action-strategy game with bad AI or if they made a bad roguelike
ripoff, they would be more successful. But they seem to be under mistaken
impression that if they make a well-designed game, it will sell well.

I would love to see a sequel to SS myself, but I can understand it if LG
is apprehensive about making a sequel for a game that wasn't a financial
hit. Hopefully, their upcoming game "The Dark Project" (see URL
http://www.lglass.com/p_info/dark/index.html for early details on a very
promising RPG) will turn things around and earn LG enough money to allow
them to take some risks. They deserve some success...

Andy Kromkamp

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In article <33446E...@erols.com>, Todd Howard <tho...@erols.com> wrote:
>Easy , and i don't agree with System Shock, and Mech 2...they have
>received plenty of kudos and awards:
>
>5. Ultima 7 (many think 4 and 6 are better, but I disagree)

U5 is the clearly winner of the series IMO.

4. Times of Lore (Chris Robert's first game for Origin and the original

>parserless interface that sierra stole)

This was a fantastic game indeed.

3. Future Shock (full 3D, mouselook, etc...a year before Quake)
>2. Karateka (first game to have cutscenes and cinematic features, on the
>Apple 2 none the less!!)
>1. The Horde (great game by the makes of SC2, that got no credit)

As was this, although in both cases (TOL and Horde), the game was simply
too short.

Andy K.

- todd

Jeff Dallacqua

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Fri, 04 Apr 1997 08:51:05 GMT, Xpan...@juno.com (Panache) wrote:

>2. Sundog - Frozen Legency.

That game was such a blast.

>4. The Phantasie series. (Not "Phantasie Star".) It was a CRPG back

Yup. I liked one the best. Two was alright, but three wasn't that
great IMHO.

-
Jeff Dallacqua
"Life is 10% of what happens to you
and 90% of how you react to it"
-

Andrew See

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:11:36 -0800, nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net>
wrote:

>I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.

Good topic :)

My choices would be:

MW2 + Add-ons
Time Commando
Underworld 1
X-Wing (+add ons)
Gabriel Knight

Todd Kerpelman

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

The one game that always tops my list is Infocom's "Nord and Bert
Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It" -- by far one of the most innovative
adventure games I've seen. It involved solving puzzles with wordplay.
For instance, at one point you're trying to save a farm from two
vultures that are attacking the crops. You have a stone in your
inventory. Typing in...

>Throw stone at birds

would be ineffective. You had to type:

>Kill two birds with one stone

(Get it?) You also had to power to transform things by homophones (You
can't open a door protected by "locks", but you can easily open a door
protected by "lox") and by spoonerisms (That annoying "Head louse" can
be transformed into a "Lead house").

Unfortunately, when it came out, Adventure Games with kick-ass 16 color
graphics on the Apple II were all the rage, and it didn't do as well as
it deserved. Sigh.

--Todd

Chris West

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Panache wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:50:39 GMT, Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu>
> uttered these pearls of wisdom:
>
> >As far as underrated games go ->
> >
> >1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
> >not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to reach
> >the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM clone
> >EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I have
> >yet to try Interplay's "sequel".
>
> Ya beat me too it! Dungeon Master was a blast to play... I had FUN
> with that game.. as well as Chaos Strikes Back. I remember the
> beginning of Chaos Strikes Back.. when my party got dropped into a pit
> of purple worms. My first words: "Oh, shit."

A pit of regenerating worms, none the less (I don't think they were
purple in Chaos, but I could be wrong...) Not too tough if you remember
how to cast fireball.. Good for training. I remember having my
characters kill worms bare-handed for hours at a time... I hated lev 3
on DM more than any other cuz of the worms.

Eric Fesler

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

"Alan Jay Dion" <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I don't think System Shock was "underrated. I agree it's a great
>game but I think it sold well and got good reviews when it

>came out. Same with Relentless. My list for truely underrated
>games would be, not in any special order.

> Planet's Edge
> Darklands
> Legacy (Microprose)
> Ishar 3
> Dusk of the Gods (precursor to The Summoning)

I gotta agree on Legacy. What a great game. Almost an adventure game
but if so it is by far the ONLY adventure game I have ever enjoyed.
Truely a great game (except for the ending)

Eric

Todd Howard

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Sundog.

great choice

Todd

Todd Howard

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

yeh, TOL was way short. Somebody mentioned SUNDOG, and i can't believe i
didn't even think of that. that game had an interface to rival most new
games, with its cool object based inventory.

Now a space RPG..that would be something.

Todd
Bethesda

Ian Nowland

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

> On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:11:36 -0800, nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.

Monkey Island II (The only game I ever played to listen to the music)
Commando (C64)

Ian Nowland

Quin Ryu

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Matthew Duncan wrote:

> In article <01bc40c7$a3c99d20$9116...@gawain.icode.com>,
> Saam Tariverdi <sa...@icode.com> wrote:
> >Is Ultima 4 out for the PC? Or was it Atari?
> >

> It's been out on the PC for 7-8 years.

I first played Ultima 4 on an Apple II. I finished it on a PC. :-P

Matthew Murray

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Bill Anderson wrote:

> First, Betrayal at Krondor. Great adventure game from Sierra, and now
> available FREE from their website.

Well, you do get what you pay for...
If you ask me, Betrayal at Krondor is one of the most overrated
games of all time. To this day people are still fawning over that game,
when it is nothing more than just a standard CRPG with substandard
writing. I've never understood what people liked so much about that game.
It's one of the dullest and most uninvolving CRPGs I've played in a long
time.

Matthew A. Murray - n964...@cc.wwu.edu

Over 175 computer game reviews, Babylon 5 links, and more on my home page:
http://www.wwu.edu/~n9641343
Windows 95 - From the Makers of EDLIN!

Rob Dunlop

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Franc Kaos wrote:

> On 1 Apr 97 20:23:23 GMT, "Rob \"Xemu\" Fermier" <xe...@earthlink.net>

> wrote:
> >It did get quite good reviews though, but as LG has learned quite
> >empirically, good reviews do not necessarily translate to good sales (for
> >example, Terra Nova, and to a lesser extent Shock).

Terra Nova. Duh! No multiplay.

Big mistake.

BTW most underrated game, here in the UK - Descent/Descent2. People
can't be shagged to learn the thing and no one's got a proper joystick.
All the top players are in the States, which is a shame for players like
me in the UK. (we get shit ping times on kali too).

Hey MOST OVERRATED games?

1. TombRaider (sorry, looks great on my 3dfx, possibly the most boring
game I've played/shortest lifespan on my HD)
2. F1GP2 (YAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN! Sorry, I know people like it but..)
3. Network Q RAC Rally Championship (UK mags go ON and ON about this
game...)
4. Whiplash/Fatal Racing (When the 3dfx version came out, you should
have seen the praise it got in the video newsgroup)
5. MDK (Look, I'm on a LAN ok, and anyway platform games aren't my
thing)

Rather than flame me why not put your own votes in instead!

Rob

Donald S. Crankshaw

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

K-Man wrote:

> I would say Ultima IV is one of the greatest games I've ever played.
> The depth behind the storyline is compelling. I don't know if it was
> underrated or not, but noone uses it when comparing the newer rpgs.

Ultima 4 is definitely NOT underrated. It is frequently selected as the
best RPG of all time (CGW, C/NET Gamecenter, everyone on the
ultima-dragons newsgroup, others...).

Sincerely,

Donald S. Crankshaw

Jon C.

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Panache wrote:
> 4. The Phantasie series. (Not "Phantasie Star".) It was a CRPG back
> in the early mid 80's.

Phantasie sure kicked butt man! Just loved that game.
The Wrath of Nicodemus was truly a master-piece.

7 Spirits of Ra was another classic.

K-Man

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:48:24 GMT, flat...@dnai.com (Eric Fesler)
wrote:

I would say Ultima IV is one of the greatest games I've ever played.
The depth behind the storyline is compelling. I don't know if it was
underrated or not, but noone uses it when comparing the newer rpgs.

I really think Daggerfall doesn't compare to this game. Sure,
Daggerfall's world is huge, with (correct me if I'm wrong) 16,000
towns. But with so many towns, each one seems to be a carbon copy of
the next. And the story is lacking. It doesn't contain the depth of
Ultima, and I hate having to pick from a list of responses. I'd rather
type in a response than have to choose. I know, the other Ultima's are
like that now. But there is a certain interactive quality that is
missed when you pick from a list of responses, rather than typing in
your own. Its like your character is not really speaking.

Dinotopia is also never mentioned, and that was a breathtaking game.
Beautifull backdrops, whitty conversation. The storyline was like the
children's books- it had substance. Something you don't find much in
current action/adventure games.

My choice for underrated games are :

Ultima IV
Dinotopia
Shadow of the Horned Rat

Kman

dave

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

John McGrath wrote:

> KeyzerSoze wrote:
> >
> > I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
> > this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
> > there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
> > underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
> > games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
> > worth these are my top 5.
> >
> > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> > 3. The Summoning
> > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> > 5. Relentless
> >

> Add to this BURN:CYCLE . few people talk about it and it can be picked
> up
> cheaply but it's a great, stylish (if you liked "trainspotting" the
> movie)adventure and the game runs on windows AND mac from the one cd.

Oh dear god, please be kidding. Burn:Cycle was the most sloppily put
together piece of FMV garbage I've ever scene. It was kind of cool
looking, but
it was also incoherent with gameplay jumping left right and all over the
place
and giving you a hell of a hard time trying to figure what's going on in
the first
place. Zounds.

dave

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Jeff Pack wrote:

> In article <01bc3e95$1e1d09c0$6d01b8cd@default>, "Alan Jay Dion" <alan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
> ><3340B9...@pacbell.net>...

> >> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
> >> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
> >> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
> >> underrated. And I figure the only way I'm going to hear about these
> >> games is if people post a list of them. Hence this list. For what it's
> >> worth these are my top 5.
> >>
> >> 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> >> 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> >> 3. The Summoning
> >> 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> >> 5. Relentless

I've never been one to blow my money on games that I haven't heard were
downright
excellent, but there was one that really blew me away, after my friend
and I spent
several days tracking down to the single copy left at Wiseguys. Worms!
What a sleeper
hit -- nobody's ever heard of it, but it's the definitive multiplayer
strategy/action
game. Doom and Red Alert be damned (really, I hate 'em) nothing beats
the sheer
thrill of methodically walking up to an enemy worm, dropping on a
dynamite directly
on his head, and watching several seconds later as it explodes and sends
him into
the stratosphere as he yells "Nooooooooo!" in those cute little wormy
voices. So whatever
happened to the sequel?

John McGrath

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

da > >

> > Add to this BURN:CYCLE . few people talk about it and it can be picked
> > up
> > cheaply but it's a great, stylish (if you liked "trainspotting" the
> > movie)adventure and the game runs on windows AND mac from the one cd.
>
> Oh dear god, please be kidding. Burn:Cycle was the most sloppily put
> together piece of FMV garbage I've ever scene. It was kind of cool
> looking, but
> it was also incoherent with gameplay jumping left right and all over the
> place
> and giving you a hell of a hard time trying to figure what's going on in
> the first
> place. Zounds.

Well , no , I liked the fmv sections with their bladerunner sartorial
appeal...I don't understand what you mean by the gameplay "jumping left
and right" I thought the puzzles were well integrated.
As regards a "hard time trying to figure what's going on "...that's the
goal of most adventure games like myst ,ZN, lighthouse etc.
It does contain some difficult puzzles and the clock is always ticking
away (limited time to finish the game).
Perhaps the most challenging part is that NO WALKTHROUGH is currently
available so the player is totally on his/her own.
cheers ,
JMC

Fred Q

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Lets see....

5. The Summoning(Awesome game! and a long one at that)
4. Mission Force Cyberstorm ( Great Strategy title overshadowed by
Real-time games)
3. Realms of the Haunting( This is a prediction. The game is fairly new
but no one seems to be playing it...It is KILLER)
2. Ultima 7 ( Scorpia destroyed this game in her review...of course she
failed to mention how realistic and interactive the game world was and
how much like actual role-playing this is. One of my all time
favorites.)
1. Dragon Wars (If you can find this anywhere, check it out...it
rules!!)

Jeff Pack

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

>Hey MOST OVERRATED games?
>
>1. TombRaider (sorry, looks great on my 3dfx, possibly the most boring
>game I've played/shortest lifespan on my HD)
>2. F1GP2 (YAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN! Sorry, I know people like it but..)
>3. Network Q RAC Rally Championship (UK mags go ON and ON about this
>game...)
>4. Whiplash/Fatal Racing (When the 3dfx version came out, you should
>have seen the praise it got in the video newsgroup)
>5. MDK (Look, I'm on a LAN ok, and anyway platform games aren't my
>thing)
>
>Rather than flame me why not put your own votes in instead!

These are just ones I've played, so there'll be a lot of hyped games that I
didn't buy missing from the list, but here goes:

1. The 7th Guest. Pretty graphics, pretty sound. Lousy plot that isn't
revealed very well, and a bunch of completely unconnected puzzles.
2. Diablo. Yes, it's got great graphics and sound. Yes, the interface is
superb as far as it goes. But it gets tiresome, even on multi-player.
3. Quake. I don't care who composed the soundtrack, it's not as innovative
as it was made out to be. The real innovation in first-person 3-D games came
earlier in Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.
4. The Dig. The gameplay was actually fairly good for this one, and the
graphics and sound were okay (though somewhat cartoony compared to its
contemporaries), but most of the game itself wasn't epic, just silly.
5. Darklands. It did a great job of evoking the mood through the still
screen shots, but the interface was that of a choose-your-own-adventure game
and the gameplay was often repetitive.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Donald S. Crankshaw <dsc...@mit.edu> wrote in article
<33471B...@mit.edu>...

> K-Man wrote:
> >
> > I would say Ultima IV is one of the greatest games I've ever played.
> > The depth behind the storyline is compelling. I don't know if it was
> > underrated or not, but noone uses it when comparing the newer rpgs.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Space RPG.... Hmmmm.... Does that equal System Shock?

Just a guess...

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock
(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
Salt the Fries...

Todd Howard <tho...@erols.com> wrote in article
<3345AE...@erols.com>...

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Check out my Unofficial SS page devoted ONLY to System Shock.

P.S. I'm trying an experiment, well, it's a SS2 Petition so I can send the
list of people to Origin so they can TRY to make a sequel to the best game
of all time. So far, since I started the petition on 2/28/97, it's gotten
about 40-45 replies. So, if you have the time, and you think SS was a
great game and it deserves a sequel, please fill it out at my SS page,
which is listed below.

BTW, I'm the biggest SS fan of all time!

--

Stephen Robertson <robe...@ppi.philips.co.uk> wrote in article
<01bc402c$fa98fc40$c0100396@stephenr>...

> Rob "Xemu" Fermier <xe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > It did get quite good reviews though, but as LG has learned quite
> > empirically, good reviews do not necessarily translate to good sales
(for
> > example, Terra Nova, and to a lesser extent Shock).
> >

> As someone who also works in the games industry I have to agree. In my
> experience it doesn't really matter how good a game is - it's marketing
and
> hype that cause a game to sell.
>
> I know that's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is. I've
worked
> on a few games that got really good reviews which just didn't sell due
> poor marketing, while really bad games sold by the bucket load because
they
> were hyped.
>
> The best combination is a good game and great marketing. Pity we don't
see
> that too often.
>
> Message for Rob Firmier:
> I still think that System Shock CD is one of the best PC games ever -
very
> well designed, well programmed, incredible sound FX and voice acting. The
> most atmospheric and downright _scary_ game I've ever played. Thank you,
> and the rest of the Shock team for giving me hours of gaming pleasure. I
> also really like Terra Nova - I don't know if you were involved in that
> one. Again one of the best ever PC games and it's an injustice it didn't
> sell well.
>
> By the way both System Shock and Terra Nova are available in the UK on
> Budget at around £10. At that price they are the bargains of the year. I
> strongly urge any gamer who's not played them to buy them - at that price
> they're a must have.
>
> Steve R.
> robe...@ppi.philips.co.uk

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Funny!
I feel the same way about you. There still hasn't been a game that has
been able to match it, gameplay wise, or immersitality wise.

NEWS FLASH!!!

The developing team that made the great System Shock is working on two more
titles. The first one is called the "Dark Project", and it's an RPG which
looks damn good. Check out the www.lglass.com site for more info.

BUT EVEN MORE EXCITIING!!

After the Dark Project is finished, the SS team will work on an "Unofficial
System Shock Sequel" called JUNCTION POINT. I haven't heard any news about
it so far, and I've tried contacting LG, but to no success. If anyone else
has info, and they are as excited as I am, please replay to this!

My Unofficial System Shock URL:

http://www.icode.com/shock

--

John Kumiko & Jennifer Ewing <ew...@pcez.com> wrote in article
<3343F6...@pcez.com>...
> My top under-rated games are:
> 1. System Shock
> 2. System Shock
> 3. System Shock
> 4. System Shock, and (drum roll)
> 5. System Shock !!!
>
> Sorry 'bout that, but I absolutely LOVED this little gem,
> and I'm STILL not even HALF done yet.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

I was adding 32 more ip addresses, so it was down for a few days. It will
work from now on

Happy Hacking!

--

Susan <Sus...@concentric.net> wrote in article
<33460341...@news.concentric.net>...

> >Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
> >http://www.icode.com/shock
> >(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
>

> No DNS for icode.com. Did you spell it right or is it down
> sometimes? Thanks.
>
> * Susan * <Sus...@concentric.net>

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

As for good music,

System Shock
Tie Figher
Ultima series

--

nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net> wrote in article
<33432D...@lightspeed.net>...

> > Here are my choices:
> >
> > 1. Sentinel Worlds 1 (What happened to 2?)
> > 2. Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception
> > 3. Kings of the Beach
> > 4. XOR Football Challenge
> > 5. Double Dragon
>
> This is what I choose:
>
> 1. Air Hockey
> 2. Secret of Mana (It was always compared to more popular games like
> Chrono Trigger and FFIII which are completely different style games).
> 3. Assault Rigs
> 4. Sky Roads
> 5. Wacky Wheels

> I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.

> My top 5 are:
>
> 1. Secret of Mana
> 2. StoneKeep
> 3. Mechwarrior 2
> 4. Air Hockey
> 5. Zelda games
>
> List more than 5 if you want to.
>
> #4 is supposed to say Return to Zork. (The person who made the error
> has been sacked)

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

I loved Dungeon Master, but I never beat it. Maybe I should get my Atari
520ST outta the closet and start over again!

Loved that game.

--

Panache <Xpan...@juno.com> wrote in article
<3345bf86....@news.alt.net>...

> On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:50:39 GMT, Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu>
> uttered these pearls of wisdom:
>
> >As far as underrated games go ->
> >
> >1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
> >not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to reach
> >the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM clone
> >EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I have
> >yet to try Interplay's "sequel".
>
> Ya beat me too it! Dungeon Master was a blast to play... I had FUN
> with that game.. as well as Chaos Strikes Back. I remember the
> beginning of Chaos Strikes Back.. when my party got dropped into a pit
> of purple worms. My first words: "Oh, shit."
>

> 2. Sundog - Frozen Legency.

> 3. System Shock - 'Nuff Said.

> 4. The Phantasie series. (Not "Phantasie Star".) It was a CRPG back
> in the early mid 80's.

> 5. Bacchus (Or something like that. It was released for the Atari ST
> by Psygnosis in the mid 80's)
>
> --------
> "Only the crazies hang around nursery."
>
> Remove the "X" in front of my name if you want to send me email.
> Hopefully, this will kill some of the damn spam.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

I loved Level 3 of DM! Worms, "The Prisoner" (Mummy), etc...

Remember this?

Also, level 2, "The Vault", "Chambers of the Guardian", "Matrix", "Time is
of the Essence",

What else was there on lvl2?

I had so much fun playing that game, though I never beat it.

Vorpal Blades.... Too Cool

--

Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu> wrote in article
<33454F...@wsunix.wsu.edu>...

> Panache wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:50:39 GMT, Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu>
> > uttered these pearls of wisdom:
> >
> > >As far as underrated games go ->
> > >
> > >1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
> > >not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to
reach
> > >the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM
clone
> > >EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I
have
> > >yet to try Interplay's "sequel".
> >
> > Ya beat me too it! Dungeon Master was a blast to play... I had FUN
> > with that game.. as well as Chaos Strikes Back. I remember the
> > beginning of Chaos Strikes Back.. when my party got dropped into a pit
> > of purple worms. My first words: "Oh, shit."

K-Man

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

You can find Ultima 1-6 on a collector's CD for the PC. I first played
Ultima 4 on a C64. Unfortunately, the PC version doesn't have the
music, but at the time I don't think the PC was capable of producing
anything but blurps and beeps from the PC speaker. I wonder if there
was a Mac version- that would've sounded nice....

KMan

>Is Ultima 4 out for the PC? Or was it Atari?
>

>--
>Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
>http://www.icode.com/shock
>(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
>Salt the Fries...

Bridget Farace

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

Jeff Pack wrote:

> In article <334654...@dircon.co.uk>, unc...@dircon.co.uk wrote:
>
> >Hey MOST OVERRATED games?

<snip>

> These are just ones I've played, so there'll be a lot of hyped games that I
> didn't buy missing from the list, but here goes:

> 5. Darklands. It did a great job of evoking the mood through the still

> screen shots, but the interface was that of a choose-your-own-adventure game
> and the gameplay was often repetitive.

I used to hear so much stuff on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg about how
incredibly
great Darklands was, so I bought it. I hated it. It's still on my
shelf after
two years. Spend an hour making several characters. Look at menu on a
picture of
some city. Click on sentence. Look at menu on a picture of some city.
Click on a sentence. Get killed by guards for walking down the street.
Restore. Menu. Click. Get thrown in prison. Dig your way out with a
spoon. Get caught by guards. Die.
Restore. Menu. Click. Go to another city. Walk down street. Get
killed
by more guards. etc., etc.
The only moods it evoked was frustration and boredom, for me at least.
I have had lots more fun with a good choose-your-own-adventure book.
They're a lot cheaper, too.

Bridget

Paulius Stepanas

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

IMO System Shock still has the best intro sequence I have ever seen!
The new, grainy movie sequences just cannot compete with crisp, clear
and exciting animation with great music.

As for engaging music, I bought Crusader: No Remorse just for the
cool music (unfortunately, I'm not very good at the game).

Paulius
--

~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~ These musings from:
~|~ It's a mistake trying to cheer up camels. ~|~ Paulius G Stepanas

Barry

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Bing wrote:

> > > : >
> > > : > 1. System Shock-the greatest game ever made in my opinion
> > > : > 2. Archimidean Dynasty
> > > : > 3. The Summoning
> > > : > 4. Sentinel Worlds 1 Future Magic
> > > : > 5. Relentless
> > > : >
> >

> Here are my choices:
>
> 1. Sentinel Worlds 1 (What happened to 2?)
> 2. Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception
> 3. Kings of the Beach
> 4. XOR Football Challenge
> 5. Double Dragon

These are mine:

1. Dark Heart of Uukrul
2. Magic Candle
3. Wizard's Crown series
4. Out of this World
5. Dragon Wars

barry

KeyzerSoze

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97
to Saam Tariverdi

> After the Dark Project is finished, the SS team will work on an "Unofficial
> System Shock Sequel" called JUNCTION POINT. I haven't heard any news about
> it so far, and I've tried contacting LG, but to no success. If anyone else

WHOA! Where did you here this??????? If it's true I'm a VERY VERY VERY
VERY HAPPY boy.

Thomas

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Quin Ryu <ktc...@pop.uky.edu> wrote in article
<334207...@pop.uky.edu>...

> Andy Kromkamp wrote:
> > >

> > >5. Ultima 7 (many think 4 and 6 are better, but I disagree)
> > >

> > U5 is the clearly winner of the series IMO.
> >

> U7. The best of the series. Even Lord British himself said so.
>
> $.02

That explain why U8 is such nonsense. The head man himself is losing sight
of the magic that created CRPG craze ages ago. Hmpff..

TOM

Johnny Lamar Rhyne

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In <3344FE...@extro.ucc.su.oz.au> Ian Nowland
<inow...@extro.ucc.su.oz.au> writes:

>> On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:11:36 -0800, nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best
music.

>Monkey Island II (The only game I ever played to listen to the music)
>Commando (C64)

Monkey 2, Definatly
Gabriel Knight 1 has some of the best music I have ever heard.

--

Mr. H.R. Bradshaw(Deceased)
Head Minister, Ministry of Silly Walks

Join now and we will send you a free Shrubbery.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

You know anyone that wants to sell it?

or a store that still sells it?

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock
(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
Salt the Fries...

K-Man <bub...@apk.net> wrote in article
<33481d1...@news.earthlink.net>...

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

I own the SS page! People have emailed me about it, and I emailed Rob
Fermier to see what he thinks about it. I'll tell all you SS fans in a
couple of days to see if it's really true. Can you believe it? SS2?

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock
(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
Salt the Fries...

KeyzerSoze <bale...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<334943...@pacbell.net>...

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Yup, Monkey Island 2 also! Sorry for forgetting!

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock
(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
Salt the Fries...

Johnny Lamar Rhyne <crh...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5iaf52$2...@dfw-ixnews10.ix.netcom.com>...

Leonard DeJesus

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

On Fri, 04 Apr 1997 08:51:05 GMT, Xpan...@juno.com (Panache) wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:50:39 GMT, Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu>
>uttered these pearls of wisdom:
>
>>As far as underrated games go ->
>>
>>1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
>>not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to reach
>>the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM clone
>>EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I have
>>yet to try Interplay's "sequel".
>
>Ya beat me too it! Dungeon Master was a blast to play... I had FUN
>with that game.. as well as Chaos Strikes Back. I remember the
>beginning of Chaos Strikes Back.. when my party got dropped into a pit
>of purple worms. My first words: "Oh, shit."

That game was too cool! I remember buying a 1040ST just to play it! I
didn't really enjor the EOB series when it came out - it is very
unfortunate that DM II stank.

>2. Sundog - Frozen Legency.

Now that was a cool game - has a lot more playability than most modern
games!

>3. System Shock - 'Nuff Said.

[...etc...]

Here's a couple more, in no particular order:

Bilestoade(sp?) for the Apple II

Championship Karate III for Atari ST/Amiga - that 3 for all action was
wild, and I loved the cheezy intro screen...

Worms

John M Clancy

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

> On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:11:36 -0800, nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.
>
> Good topic :)

My vote goes to INCA.

I liked it so much I ordered the audio CD for the soundtrack.

--
John M Clancy
"Those that give up freedom for safety deserve neither"
-Benjamin Franklin
Descent Win95 Desktop Themes: http://members.aol.com/mefent/descent

Matthew Duncan

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <01bc40c8$0d777260$9116...@gawain.icode.com>,

Saam Tariverdi <sa...@icode.com> wrote:
>Space RPG.... Hmmmm.... Does that equal System Shock?
>
>Just a guess...

Try Planet's Edge by New World Computing. It's like an RPG version of
Starflight.

Matt.

>--
>Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
>http://www.icode.com/shock
>(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
>Salt the Fries...
>

>Todd Howard <tho...@erols.com> wrote in article
><3345AE...@erols.com>...
>> Andy Kromkamp wrote:

>> > U5 is the clearly winner of the series IMO.

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Yeah, SS had great Cutscenes. Crusader has awesome music, I forgot about
that one.

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock
(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
Salt the Fries...

Paulius Stepanas <step...@newsserver.trl.oz.au> wrote in article
<5i9eg8$g...@newsserver.trl.OZ.AU>...

D. B. Brown

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Most underrated... hrm...

1. NetHack
Yes, tons of people play and love it, but then again, most
computer gamers I've talked to haven't heard of it.
Fantastic game, but as it is free, it gets no advertising,
and as it has really poor graphics, doesn't attract too many
folks. Great game none-the-less.

2. StarControl I
Was I the only one who spent hours and hours playing this
game with my friends? IMO, the two-player game of SC1 blew
away SC2 something fierce. And just think... it was a VGA
action game that fit on a 720k disk and played fine on a
286... oh, the good old days... SC1 is easily in my top
3 of best multiplayer games of all time.

3. Dark Legions
Great, fun two-player game. Got it when it first came out,
but never heard a peep about it. Did anyone else actually
play this one?

4. The Neverhood
Hey, I liked it. This one got a lot of bad/mediocre press,
but IMO it was a solid game (well, as solid as most game of
its genre are, anyway).

> Hey MOST OVERRATED games?

1. Duke Nukem 3D
I know a lot of people love it, but is it just me, or is
it the same old, same old all over again? IMO Quake was
so much, much better just because it is customizable.

2. Tomb Raider
I have a Voodoo. This game is really pretty. However, it
just doesn't have the 'umph' that everyone seemed to be
drooling over. And besides, it had no music. Blech.

3. Heroes of Might and Magic
Another one that got tons and tons of praise that just
really left me cold. Seemed too much like Master of Magic
dumbed down many a time.

--
+=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-+=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-+
|Do you ever get the feeling that the story's|D.B. Brown |

Matthew Duncan

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <01bc40c7$a3c99d20$9116...@gawain.icode.com>,

Saam Tariverdi <sa...@icode.com> wrote:
>Is Ultima 4 out for the PC? Or was it Atari?

It's been out on the PC for 7-8 years.

Matt.

Joel Mathis

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Gamma <ga...@clark.net> wrote in article <5i1ig3$3...@clarknet.clark.net>...

> Ajaipal Tanwar <joe...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >nihil <ni...@lightspeed.net> wrote:
> >>I'm interested in knowing what game everyone think has the best music.

> >>My top 5 are:
> >>
> >>1. Secret of Mana
> >>2. StoneKeep
> >>3. Mechwarrior 2
> >>4. Air Hockey
> >>5. Zelda games
> >

> >The best music in any game using the plain ole SB was Star Control 2.
The
> >Spathi theme still runs through my head.
> >

> Indeed. In fact, did you try it without the SB? Like, with the
> plain ol' PC speaker??? Gadzooks, they were playin' it through
> the speaker and -still- sounded good... I even yanked out the
> MODs to play from time to time. :)
>
> Other good music:
>
> Eric the Unready - I still wish I could have pulled out the
> MIDIs for this. And in fact, I would pick EtU for the previous
> list, of the most underrated games...
>
> Ultima Underworld II - I loved the ice world theme...
>
> DOOM - HA HA HA!! Okay, just kidding... maybe a couple of those
> tunes were good.
>
> Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail - great jazz.
>
> King's Quest IV: Perils of Rosella - when it came out, sound
> cards were still uncommon. Still, it did wonderful things
> with that tinny lil' PC speaker.
>

> Again, as far as underrated games - definitely Eric the Unready.
> In fact, I got to try Spellcasting 101 and liked it as well
> (same format, also underrated). Add to that Darklands (despite
> all the bugs) and Lost Treasures of Infocom (I and II).

The two big songs from computer games I could never get out of my head are
the Kilrathi theme from Wing Commander II and the music from Relentless.
Of course, I think just about anything from the Fat Man is pretty good.

Martin Keene (LIS)

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

The return of System Shock? Amen to that!!! Hope it's 'back in
black'!

Quin Ryu

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Kyuss Dragon wrote:

> {snip!}
>
> I even read somewhere that Richard Garriot liked U5 the most(go figure).

Wrong. Richard Garrior, a.k.a. Lord British, likes U7 the most. Not
U5.

Here is what Lord British said in the October 1996 issue of PC Gamer
(page 92):

"My two favorites, by the way, are V and VII...Ultima VII because of the
richness and the detail of the world. That's the best Ultima in my
mind, because every single thing within the world was interactive and
could be used as it was intended."

But he didn't say whether it is part I (the Black Gate) or part II
(Serpent Isle).

K-Man

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On 7 Apr 1997 22:52:35 GMT, "Saam Tariverdi" <sa...@icode.com> wrote:

>You know anyone that wants to sell it?
>
>or a store that still sells it?

I bought my copy at CompUSA

...I have a question...know anyone that wants to sell System Shock, or
where I can find that game? I've heard so much about it, but never had
an oppurtunity to play it.

>--
>Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
>http://www.icode.com/shock
>(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
>Salt the Fries...
>

>K-Man <bub...@apk.net> wrote in article
><33481d1...@news.earthlink.net>...
>>
>> You can find Ultima 1-6 on a collector's CD for the PC. I first played
>> Ultima 4 on a C64. Unfortunately, the PC version doesn't have the
>> music, but at the time I don't think the PC was capable of producing
>> anything but blurps and beeps from the PC speaker. I wonder if there
>> was a Mac version- that would've sounded nice....
>>

>> KMan

>> >Is Ultima 4 out for the PC? Or was it Atari?
>> >

>> >--
>> >Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
>> >http://www.icode.com/shock
>> >(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
>> >Salt the Fries...

Bill Stripp

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

>I've never been one to blow my money on games that I haven't heard were
>downright
>excellent, but there was one that really blew me away, after my friend
>and I spent
>several days tracking down to the single copy left at Wiseguys. Worms!
>What a sleeper
>hit -- nobody's ever heard of it, but it's the definitive multiplayer
>strategy/action
>game. Doom and Red Alert be damned (really, I hate 'em) nothing beats
>the sheer
>thrill of methodically walking up to an enemy worm, dropping on a
>dynamite directly
>on his head, and watching several seconds later as it explodes and sends
>him into
>the stratosphere as he yells "Nooooooooo!" in those cute little wormy
>voices. So whatever
>happened to the sequel?

It's out there. You can order it direct from the Team17 web site.

http://www.team17.com

It adds network play and a few other goodies. A must for any worms
fan.

Bill Stripp
bst...@gr.com

Drakkir

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Xpan...@juno.com (Panache) wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:50:39 GMT, Chris West <dr...@wsunix.wsu.edu>
>uttered these pearls of wisdom:
>
>>As far as underrated games go ->
>>
>>1. Dungeon Master (and its true sequel Chaos Strikes Back) - Certainly
>>not underrated by the Amiga community, but it took a few years to reach
>>the PC and didn't get much recognition there, due mainly to the DM clone
>>EOB and its sequels. I still prefer it to most CRPGs out today. I have
>>yet to try Interplay's "sequel".
>
>Ya beat me too it! Dungeon Master was a blast to play... I had FUN
>with that game.. as well as Chaos Strikes Back. I remember the
>beginning of Chaos Strikes Back.. when my party got dropped into a pit
>of purple worms. My first words: "Oh, shit."

You got dropped naked and defenseless into a pit of purple worms!!!!
That was the most stressful and exciting beginning ever in a game. In
Chaos Strikes Back I always got the feeling that the programmers were
saying, "We'll show those DM masters just how bad ass we can be"
because all the strategies I developed in the first game were used
against me. Great game and great fun. The ending battle was a
nightmare.

Sincerely,

Drakkir
dra...@texas.net

chitchv

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

D. B. Brown <da...@bme1.image.uky.edu> wrote in article
<334981...@bme1.image.uky.edu>...
> Most underrated... hrm...

(sniped underrated)

> 1. Duke Nukem 3D
> I know a lot of people love it, but is it just me, or is
> it the same old, same old all over again? IMO Quake was
> so much, much better just because it is customizable.

duke nukem is a cool game you should try downloading levels
it makes it even more fun.

Chris

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:53:30 +0100, John McGrath <joh...@indigo.ie>
wrote:

>KeyzerSoze wrote:
>>
>> I know, horror of horror's another stupid list. There is a reason for
>> this though. I've come to realize through reading the newsgroups that
>> there are many games which I have never heard of because they are
>> underrated.
Well I don't have the time to think of 5 but here's a couple.The most
underated game that I think should have had some add-on disks or a
sequel(or at least the promised mulitplayer aspect)
1. Terra Nova! One of the best games I ever played, but quess it got
lost in between the Doom\Mech craze.
2. Jagged Alliance-not really a failure of a game, but I thought it
should have had a bigger following. Note, I am talking about the
original, not JA Deadly Games

Matthew Murray

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Boy, that's pretty hard. There are quite a few. Betrayal at
Krondor is definitely on the list. Never have I seen so many people like
something so completely empty and valueless. Doom is extremely
overrated, as are most of its clones. (Why can't people tell they are
all just the same game?) King's Quest VI is highly overrated, too, as is
just about every Sierra game released after November of 1990 with the
exception of Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within, which actually deserves
the praise it gets.
If we were to venture into the game machine arena, just about
everything on the Nintendo 64 is considerably overrated, especially
Super Mario 64 and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Most stuff on the
Playstation, as well.

Matthew A. Murray - n964...@cc.wwu.edu

Over 175 computer game reviews, Babylon 5 links, and more on my home page:
http://www.wwu.edu/~n9641343
Windows 95 - From the Makers of EDLIN!

Pamela Sirkin

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

1. System Shock
2. Mission Critical
3. Caesar II
4. The Legend of Kyrandia (I)
5. Sherlock (a shareware game)

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Yeah, I hope to have more info on "Junction Point" on my Unofficial System
Shock Page listed a few lines below. Stay Tuned!!

"Can you believe it?" SS2?

"I'm the biggest SS fan in the world. Period."

:)

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
http://www.icode.com/shock
(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
Salt the Fries...

Martin Keene (LIS) <mke...@luna.cas.usf.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.SOL.3.95.970407194502.27041A-100000@luna>...

Saam Tariverdi

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Come to my Unofficial System Shock page, and first download the demo. It's
2MB, a few years old, but it's gives you an idea of what it's about. Then
email me telling me what you think about it.

I'm sure you'll love it!

--
Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com

http://www.icode.com/shock - SS Page!

<3349bb91...@news.earthlink.net>...

> On 7 Apr 1997 22:52:35 GMT, "Saam Tariverdi" <sa...@icode.com> wrote:
>
> >You know anyone that wants to sell it?
> >
> >or a store that still sells it?
> >
> I bought my copy at CompUSA
>
> ...I have a question...know anyone that wants to sell System Shock, or
> where I can find that game? I've heard so much about it, but never had
> an oppurtunity to play it.
>

> >--
> >Saam Tariverdi - sa...@icode.com
> >http://www.icode.com/shock
> >(My Unofficial System Shock Page)
> >Salt the Fries...
> >

> >K-Man <bub...@apk.net> wrote in article
> ><33481d1...@news.earthlink.net>...
> >>
> >> You can find Ultima 1-6 on a collector's CD for the PC. I first played
> >> Ultima 4 on a C64. Unfortunately, the PC version doesn't have the
> >> music, but at the time I don't think the PC was capable of producing
> >> anything but blurps and beeps from the PC speaker. I wonder if there
> >> was a Mac version- that would've sounded nice....
> >>

> >> KMan

Jeff Pack

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <5i951a$r1j$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, bje...@petersen.org (Joh) wrote:

>In article <334558...@cyborganic.net>, dol...@cyborganic.net says...
>>The one game that always tops my list is Infocom's "Nord and Bert
>>Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It" -- by far one of the most innovative
>>adventure games I've seen. It involved solving puzzles with wordplay.
>
>>Unfortunately, when it came out, Adventure Games with kick-ass 16 color
>>graphics on the Apple II were all the rage, and it didn't do as well as
>>it deserved. Sigh.

On the subject of text adventures, what about the three great yet underrated
Infocom games:

Suspended
Trinity
A Mind Forever Voyaging