ARENA thieves

Edward M Wesp

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
I have been playing Arena lately (getting ready for Daggerfall) and have
been playing a Nightblade for the first time. I have enjoyed (and made a
lot of gold!) by breaking into the big houses in towns across Tamriel.
When Arena came out thief-type characters got a bad rap, but I think it
gives you something to do in towns between adventures.
Just my own experiences, but I was wondering if there are some other
thieves out there - seems like I've heard about an awful lot of
Battlemages and Spellswords.

Edward Wesp

Art Milburn

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
ca...@wam.umd.edu (Absolut Ahr) wrote:

>I've never been a big fan of Spell-casting characters, so I've been doing a
>mix of Thief types and Warrior types. I haven't won with a monk, but I did
>have one up to level 12 when the hard drive crashed :) She was -very-
>powerful.
>
>I've also used Assassins. They're pretty fun, too. I think the best is Bard,
>though, because they advance like a thief class character, but can also cast
>spells. Plus they can wear chain armor. Three big plusses in my book...

I won with a bard, but I couldn't take out the head bad-guy, Jagar Tharn. Finally,
I cast invisibility on myself, erected some walls around him, and looted his
dungeon. It was great! He was in his cell roaring and screaming while I swiped
all his stuff! :)

Absolut Ahr

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
In article <49lt7g$h...@uwm.edu>,
eha...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Eric Robert Hayot) wrote:
>I've been playing a monk, which has its disadvantages since you can't use
>magic or cool armor, but it's more than made up for by the huge number of
>critical strikes and basically the cool feeling you get from being a monk.
>I imagine it's pretty difficult to win the game with one, however; has
>anyone else done it?
>
>Edward M Wesp (edw...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu) wrote:
>
>: I have been playing Arena lately (getting ready for Daggerfall) and have

I've never been a big fan of Spell-casting characters, so I've been doing a

mix of Thief types and Warrior types. I haven't won with a monk, but I did
have one up to level 12 when the hard drive crashed :) She was -very-
powerful.

I've also used Assassins. They're pretty fun, too. I think the best is Bard,
though, because they advance like a thief class character, but can also cast
spells. Plus they can wear chain armor. Three big plusses in my book...

Carey

Eric Robert Hayot

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95

Kronald

Dec 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/2/95
In article <49lt7g$h...@uwm.edu>, eha...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu says...
I have won Arena with 2 Knights and now I am trying with a Monk also.
--
When the pig runs slower, let the arrow fly.

Brian Hammond

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
: I've also used Assassins. They're pretty fun, too. I think the best is Bard,
: though, because they advance like a thief class character, but can also cast
: spells. Plus they can wear chain armor. Three big plusses in my book...

Looks like I'm not the only one to pull Arena off the shelves again!
I always enjoyed the more thiefly characters, just because it is so much
fun breaking into the houses. I did this with other classes too, but it
was hard to explain a monk who burgles people's house in role playing terms...

Also, I was hoping some kind soul would provide me the answer to the riddle:
From the beginning of creation,
To the end of time and space,
To the beginning of every end,
and the end of every place.

I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when I hear the answer, but I just can't
seem to get it... A clue would be nice (I freely admit to be clueless... ;^)
but I would really just like the solution!

TIA

- Brian

P.S.: Answers by email preferred to avoid spoils for others...

Fred Martinsen

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95

From the beginning of creation,

To the end of tim E and spac E,
To the beginning of every E nd,
and the end of every plac E.

FM.

Brandon Wallace

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
In article <4airc0$6...@hobbes.cc.uga.edu>,
ham...@harpo.cs.uga.edu (Brian Hammond) writes:
-> Also, I was hoping some kind soul would provide me the answer to the riddle:
-> From the beginning of creation,
-> To the end of time and space,
-> To the beginning of every end,
-> and the end of every place.
->
-> I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when I hear the answer, but I just can't
-> seem to get it... A clue would be nice (I freely admit to be clueless... ;^)
-> but I would really just like the solution!
->
-> P.S.: Answers by email preferred to avoid spoils for others...

My mailer couldn't find your account...

First of all you wrote it wrong:

From the beginning of eternity

To the end of time and space

From the beginning of every end
and the end of every place.

and your clue....

(spoiler)

from the beginning of Eternity
to the end of timE and spacE
from the beginning of every End

and the end of every placE

Good luck
--
Brandon Wallace
Nicholas | Applegate Capital Management

LoneWolf, Bethesda Softworks

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
ham...@harpo.cs.uga.edu (Brian Hammond) wrote:

>Also, I was hoping some kind soul would provide me the answer to the riddle:

> From the beginning of creation,

> To the end of time and space,

> To the beginning of every end,

> and the end of every place.
>

>I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when I hear the answer, but I just can't

>seem to get it... A clue would be nice (I freely admit to be clueless... ;^)

>but I would really just like the solution!

Hey there,

Well, the riddle is slightly misquoted... I believe the correct version
begins: From the beginning of eternity
The rest however, is correct. And the answer, well, the answer is the first,
middle, and every letter but the last of the word normally uttered by those
who see a mouse. Not aaaaaaaaaaaaah, not iiiiiiiih, not oooooohh, not
uuuuuuuh. Hmm... see a pattern here? 8^)

Later,
LoneWolf
Bethesda Softworks Webmaster
---
webm...@bethsoft.com
feed...@bethsoft.com
http://www.bethsoft.com/

Tatjana Svizensky

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
Edward M Wesp (edw...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu) wrote:
: I have been playing Arena lately (getting ready for Daggerfall) and have
: been playing a Nightblade for the first time. I have enjoyed (and made a
: lot of gold!) by breaking into the big houses in towns across Tamriel.
: When Arena came out thief-type characters got a bad rap, but I think it
: gives you something to do in towns between adventures.
: Just my own experiences, but I was wondering if there are some other
: thieves out there - seems like I've heard about an awful lot of
: Battlemages and Spellswords.

: Edward Wesp

Just curious- how can a thief or any non-magic character defeat these
Iron golems?

BTW, I played a Spellsword...since I took my time playing through the quests,
I had a rather strong character for the end fight. So there my poor spellsword
was in that last dungeon, and there was that guy waving at her, and no one
realized it was that war wizard. When we came near, he dropped dead. No
fight, nothing, just that spell reflection that we constantly had cast. Must've
been some kill spell reflected on the poor guy ;)
Some kind of disappointment, really, though it was *very* funny

blessings,
Morrigann
--

(Tatjana Svizensky)