I would like Krondor help

Jason William Brandt

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
I have been playing Betrayal of Krondor recently, and I love it except for
losing your guys and stuff between missions. I am currently near the start of
mission 5. I had worked Gorath and Owyn up to the point where they were really
powerful, then I lost them for this mission. Patrus and Locklear suck and are continually getting massacred by the enemy.

I have several questions:
1) Who am I going to have for the future missions? Are there any tricks (i.e.
getting someone midway through, losing all your money (like Mission 4), having
the person's stuff put someplace (like Locklear after mission 1).

2) James now has 14,000 gold. Does he need this much? Can I store it somewhere?

3) How can I go North from Northwarden in this mission, or disguise myself to
get into the city (in northwest, can remember name, ran into it in mission 4)?

4) How can I stop Patrus from being massacred in the first round of combat? How
can I get him to move earlier?

5)how much of a disadvantage does a human get using elf weapons? dwarf weapons?
What about Elfs wearing human armor or weapons? Are there better weapons than
the Greatsword or better armor than Dragon Plate (other than this Gaulda whatever thing?

6) Are there any stupid things I should know that will make the game more
enjoyable? i.e. Don't go east in chapter 4. Is there any opportunities that I
could have missed, or will miss if I am not careful?

7) Should I not give spells to Patrus, but instead save them for Owyn or
another magician? This is related to my first question.

8) Is there anything that differentiates 1 Amulet of Upright Man from another?
Is there a "real" amulet?

9) Anything else I should have asked but didn't think of.

I would really appreciate help. I would like advice, but don't spoil the game
for me by giving away stuff I will (and should) get on my own. Thanks

-Jason Brandt
bra...@owlnet.rice.edu

Sean Fister

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
1. In Chapter 6,and most of 8 you have just Owyn and Gorath. At the end of
chapter 8 and all of 9 you have Pug who will have the all the spells that Owyn
does because of an item you find which transfers spells back and forth. In
Chapter 7 you have Locklear, James, and Patrus.

2. Buy everybody dragon armor and the best weapons. Imho that's a blessed
great sword with the exception of the nonbought weapon The Sword of LIms
Krigma. Once you've gotten to this point you know that you wish you had
blessed weapons and armor. I would also buy as many spells, weapon enhancers,
antidote, and restoratives.

3. To get to the north you need two thousand gold with which to bribe the
goblins. They'll let you through if you pay them. You can buy more weapons
from the moredhel towns in the north. The Bessy Mauler is a great crossbow but
isn't very accurate but it does do heavy damage if you can hit. My suggestion
is elven crossbow for Locklear who is less accurate, and Bessy Mauler to James
who is more accurate. Buy plenty of Elven bolts. Make sure you find the Sword
of Lims Krigma. Heavier damage than the greatsword.

4. Surprise. Evil Seek. Good Armor. Restoratives. Lightning Staff.
Infinity Pool. Carry on James a couple of extra sets of elven weedwalkers.
They increase your stealth rating. Milk of Dala or whatever it is called
increases defense. It also wouldn't hurt to carry an extra copy of skin of the
dragon. Good useful spell. There is found copy as well as a sold one I
believe. Also if you find it and have enough money you can sell it and then
buy it. The item then becomes part of the stores inventory.

5. I don't the difference is significant. I used greatswords throughout the
game for James and Locklear. Into Chapter 6 for Gorath where Guarda Ravanche
and a Sword of LIms-kragma are found.

6. You will miss Guarda Ravanche if you are not careful in the Elven forests
in chapter 6. Also explore the mines fully in chapter 6 because there are some
sweet spells there. Also in the woods there are some sweet spells. Make sure
you have enough amulets of the Upright Man to give Owyn 100% Lockpicking
ability. This will insure that you will not miss out on sweet spell and staff
in Chapter 9. In Chapter 8 Make sure you explore the full island after you've
rescued Pug. There is some sweet armor and a necessary spell there.

7. I don't think so. The only exception being get an extra copy of Skin of
the Dragon for Patrus. Its an extremely useful spell.

8. Not that I know of.

9. The answers to the Moredhel chests.

> This is in reference to the Motherload chests. Each chapter has it's own
> chest and it's own code. To get to them you need to be in the bird's eye
> view map(not world map) and hold down the keys:
> ALT RT-SHIFT ~
> Takes a second or two but you should end up on a Moredhel chest, the codes
> are:
>
> chap. code
> 1 6478
> 2 9216
> 3 7702
> 4 2132
> 5 5052
> 6 0680
> 7 0194
> 8 4743
> 9 9995

A H A E = EYES

A R O O L E T = ALCOHOL

A V O D = SURF

B A T I = BULL

B D R E Y = SHOES

B E L V A E = FUTURE

B E S T D = NOISE

B I E R = DICE

B I L E T = COLTS

B L T E R I S T = MATTRESS

B L U E R = FLEAS

B O T N = DOOR

B R A T L Y = SNARES

B R E E L = SIEVE

B R E E T O E W = DELEKHAN

B R E S D = PRIEST

B R I N K = BLADE

B R I R O E D = FARRIER

B R L E S D = PRIEST

B R R D = FIRE

B S R O = BARD

C C A S E = OCEAN

C E O R L I Y = SAWDUST

C E S S H D N = THISTLE

C H L T = SHOE

C H S V O = STOVE

C I C H = PATH

C L A P V T = TEMPER

C L A Y S = TABLE

C L I W = PLOW

C O E V L S = BOTTLE

C O N S = BOOK

C O S A E F I E = STRANGER

C P T E G Y = SPONGE

C Q A T R L = SQUARE

C R E T Y = SPURS

C U O H H O = BUTTON

D O C = DIE

D R V S A G H O = DAY NIGHT

D S W P S T Y = DISPUTE

E H E P E T S = GALLOWS

E I T L = EGGS

E O E = FOG

E O E N = BARK

E T R I O S = BARROW

F O B P L Y = BUBBLE

F S A O T = BROOM

H L A L Y = TOWEL

H S K O = LAKE

J A R M L A Y = PROMISE

K I I E N = ONION

K L I C B T R = KNOCKER

L E I E L T = ICICLE

M A O H L L = JACKET

M B T N = ROPE

M O R I T = RIVER

O H D E = PIPE

P A T D = WIND

P E R D E = WRONG

P H E N G S S = THOUGHT

P I E S C E = ADVICE

P L E S R = WATER

P S A O S = ARROW

P S T E = LIFE

P W R D L A T J S N = TRADE MARES

Q I S S H D = MOUSER

R A R P E = WAGON

R C O N C A D G S R = GLAMREDHEL

R H E D L S = CANDLE

R H N B F T = SHADOW

R I A C = RAIN

R M E E S = SMOKE

R O B N = RING

R O S E T = HASTE

R O S P L = SNAIL

R S O E = RAIN

R S M S T = HONEY

R T H I C = MUSIC

S A E T E S = WALNUT

S A M T = WALL

S A R D = EYES

S A R D S = STARS

S A S S U = CHEST

S E L E T = GRAVE

S H O R A S = GLOVES

S H O T E E D = VICTORY

S H S T E = THORN

S H T A B Y = EQUALS

S H T W E S D = THE DEAD

S H U E T S E C = GAUNTLET

S I A D E = PEACE

S L C K = BELL

S L L A T = CARDS

S L O O Y = ASHES

S O O E S = SWORD

S O S K = MILK

S O S L P L G = NOTHING

T A F K T E = COFFIN

T A S D O Y = PADDLE

T A T E = CANE

T A T H E E N W = DARKNESS

T C K D = ECHO

T E F B T = STAKE

T E I R A E = SECRET

T E R I E S = STAIRS

T H A C K = DEATH

T H A O R T = ORANGE

T H E D T S = BRIDGE

T H D E L Y = SADDLE

T H I U R S = BRIARS

T H P L E = COALS

T H R = ICE

T H T A T W = SHADOW

T H T H C S = BREATH

T I A D = LOGS

T I A P Y = WEARY

T I W E = SAWS

T N F I F D R K Y = SNOWFLAKE

T O B = KEY

T O G Y = EGGS

T O L I E L I O E = YESTERDAY

T O R A = BOOK

T O S E S = NOOSE

T O T E L C = TROLLS

T R A K = DRUM

T R E G C D S = OUTSIDE

T R K Y = HAIR

T R L D R Y = SPIDER

T R O P S = BLOOD

T R S E = NAME

T R Y O E V C I E = WATERFALL

T U L D = RUST

T U O R B C T N = SUNSHINE

T U V E T E D = SILENCE

V A E O S T = MIRROR

W E M H I = HOLES

W O R G S E L = HANGMAN

W O T S O M E N = HORSEMAN

W R S H T D E E = ALPHABET

W S T E = FIRE

X X X X X X X X = TREASURE - "Moredhal and Pantanhian, guarding our lid,"

X X X X X X X X = EYE TO EYE - "Three fools did once sacrifice,"

X X X X = YOLK - "The contrary of up is down,"

X X X X X = MONEY - "I had it and I gave it to you'"

X X X X X = TONGS - "What is it -- longlegs,"

X X X X = FIRE - "Put into a pit,"
or "Chill of its death,"
or "what is it that runs faster uphill,"

X X X X X X = PILLOW - "What stands taller without its head than with one,"

X X X X X X X = KEYHOLE - "What goes through the door ..."

X X X X X = FAULT - "What is most often found where ..."

X X X X X = AGING - "What is it that all people ..."

X X X X X = ANKLE - "What is it that is alive ..."

X X X X X X X X = APPETITE - "What is it that everyone wants ..."

--
Sean Fister <fis...@centre.edu>
http://www.centre.edu/~fister/sean.html

Neutronium Dragon

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
In article <438gsa$2...@larry.rice.edu>, bra...@owlnet.rice.edu (Jason William Brandt) says:

>I have been playing Betrayal of Krondor recently, and I love it except for
>losing your guys and stuff between missions. I am currently near the start of
>mission 5. I had worked Gorath and Owyn up to the point where they were really
>powerful, then I lost them for this mission. Patrus and Locklear suck and are continually getting massacred by the enemy.
>
>I have several questions:
>1) Who am I going to have for the future missions? Are there any tricks (i.e.
>getting someone midway through, losing all your money (like Mission 4), having
>the person's stuff put someplace (like Locklear after mission 1).

Chapter 1: Locklear, Owyn, Gorath.
Chapter 2: James, Gorath. Owyn joins as soon as you try to leave the sewers.
Chapter 3: James, Owyn, Goarath.
Chapter 4: Gorath, Owyn.
Chapter 5: James, Patrus, Locklear.
Chapter 6: Owyn, Gorath.
Chapter 7: James, Patrus, Locklear.
Chapter 8: Owyn, Gorath. Pug joins you once you've rescued him.
Chapter 9: Pug, Owyn, Gorath.

>2) James now has 14,000 gold. Does he need this much? Can I store it somewhere?

If you're in Chapter 5 and have this much, start with buying Dragon Plate armor
for everyone if they don't have it yet. Grab a couple of icers, anti-venom, and
restoratives. Then go down to the magic shop, and get a few of those Horns, any
spells there that Patrus doesn't yet have, and at least 12 doses of each of the
potions there. Before you head back to the castle at the end of Chapter 5, go back
there and stock up further, you will need the stuff for Chapter 7. Save 2000 gold
for bribing the Goblins, which you will need to do at one point.

>3) How can I go North from Northwarden in this mission, or disguise myself to
>get into the city (in northwest, can remember name, ran into it in mission 4)?

When Duke Martin sends you off to get the battle plans from Raglam, you will run into
a big group of goblins blocking the pass. Walk into them, and pay the 2000 gold
bribe they want. You can now pass freely into the Northlands, although you can't get
across the bridge west of Raglam. You don't need to, so don't worry about it.

>4) How can I stop Patrus from being massacred in the first round of combat? How
>can I get him to move earlier?

Patrus is not as weak as most make him out to be. The problem is that he's tactically
screwed up by almost always being started standing out in the middle of nowhere so that
the enemy can swarm him.
To make Patrus useful, it help to prepare in Chapter 3. Before ending it, buy things like
a powder bag, Horn of Algon Kokoon, powerful spell scrolls, Dalatail Milk, and the like,
and store them on James. When Chapter 5 starts, give the stuff to Patrus. Have him take a
dose of the Milk before entering a battle, it'll reduce how much injury he sustains quite
considerably. Get s suit of Dragon Plate armor for him ASAP, this will also go a long way
towards protecting him.
In combat, Have James or Locklear act as bodyguard, chasing off any opponent who gets near
Patrus. Patrus himself can use the power bag, horn, Eliaem's heart, or lightning staff to
attack opponents near him, or summon creatures to help defend him. If no opponent is blocking
his ability to cast spells, fire off Evil Seek at full strength, making certain to target an
Ogre if there's one in the enemy group. (Targeting an Ogre with Evil Seek causes the spell to
double in power.)
The primary problem is that for some reason, enemies seem to prefer attacking Patrus over the
others. This is especially a pain in the rear in the big battle at the end of Chapter 5, because
all 6 spellcasters will often target him all at once. If on the other hand, he survives their
attack, having him retaliate with a full strength Evil Seek will decimate the enemy.

>5)how much of a disadvantage does a human get using elf weapons? dwarf weapons?
>What about Elfs wearing human armor or weapons? Are there better weapons than
>the Greatsword or better armor than Dragon Plate (other than this Gaulda whatever thing?

Don't worry about what race something is made for, the difference is nominal.
I find the Rapier to be better than the Greatsword until your melee accy is 90% or higher,
simply because you'll hit more often with it, even if each hit does a bit less damage.
Also, you don't need to swing to get good damage out of it.
Better than the Greatsword is also the Sword of Lims-Kragma. It does more damage by far,
although it's still not as accurate as a Rapier.
The very best sword is the Guarda Revanche. It's available in Chapter 6, if you locate all
the parts you need. It easily outclasses any other weapon in the game.

>6) Are there any stupid things I should know that will make the game more
>enjoyable? i.e. Don't go east in chapter 4. Is there any opportunities that I
>could have missed, or will miss if I am not careful?

Make sure you're carrying some rope before you end Chapter 6, and keep it all the way
to the end. There's some pits you have to cross in Chapter 9, and rope is nowhere to
be found, at least in the version I played.

>7) Should I not give spells to Patrus, but instead save them for Owyn or
>another magician? This is related to my first question.

Give them to Patrus. For one thing, there's very little opportunity to get them
to Owyn, and for another Patrus can use them fairly well, if he gets the opportunity to.

>8) Is there anything that differentiates 1 Amulet of Upright Man from another?
>Is there a "real" amulet?

Nope, they're all the same.

>9) Anything else I should have asked but didn't think of.

The biggest piece of advice: Explore everywhere you can reach in each chapter, even if
you couldn't reach the place in a previous one, or have already cleared it in a previous one.
There's a large amount of stuff out there to be found, and most of it is very useful.
The second biggest piece of advice: Bookmark often. You'll probably die many times, usually
without having time to save beforehand, so you'll want a bookmark to restore to. I generally
bookmark before and after each fight that I get into, unless of course, I got so mangled in
the fight that it's better to restore.

>I would really appreciate help. I would like advice, but don't spoil the game
>for me by giving away stuff I will (and should) get on my own. Thanks
>
> -Jason Brandt
> bra...@owlnet.rice.edu

Neutronium Dragon
alfred...@cyberstore.ca
__
/ \
\ /
--==(UDIC)==--
/--\
Ultima Dragons Internet Chapter
http://www.why.com/ultima/

Loh Chang Shiung

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95
Sean Fister (fis...@centre.edu) wrote:
: 3. To get to the north you need two thousand gold with which to bribe the

: goblins. They'll let you through if you pay them. You can buy more weapons
: from the moredhel towns in the north. The Bessy Mauler is a great crossbow but
: isn't very accurate but it does do heavy damage if you can hit. My suggestion
: is elven crossbow for Locklear who is less accurate, and Bessy Mauler to James
: who is more accurate. Buy plenty of Elven bolts. Make sure you find the Sword
: of Lims Krigma. Heavier damage than the greatsword.

I actually found another sword of Lims-Kragma somewhere around Kenting
Rush (besides the one found in the sewers). I remember someone telling me
that James, Locklear and Patrus will be in Dimwood in Chapter 7 ....
thus I went into Dimwood and placed it in one of the chests, with some
diamonds and stuff ..... When I sent James and Locklear to the chest to
get the sword in Chapter 7, it was gone! Oh well, I guess you're not
supposed to cheat like this.

CS