Candidates for Top 5 PC RPGs ever?

Stan Sugrue

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

bmc...@no.spam.ca

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

In no particular order..
Darklands
Ultima IV
Ultima Underworld
Betrayal at Krondor
Wizardry 6 (and/or 5)

- Boone

Anders G

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
1. Diablo II (I know, not yet released)
2(1). Diablo
3(2). Fallout 1,2
4(3). Baldurs gate
5(4). Planescape Torment
6(5). Wizardry 7

Travis Hamer

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

Stan Sugrue wrote in message <3932B8A5...@ix.netcom.com>...

>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1. Ultima VII (PC)
2. Ultima IV (C64)
3. Wasteland (C64)
4. Faery Tale Adventure (Amiga)
5. Dungeon Master (Amiga)

The PC ports of Faery Tale Adventure and Dungeon Master really suffered,
coming out well after the Amiga versions, and looking and sounding far
worse. On the Amiga, they are fantastic. Some explanations

Ultima VII: The greatest crpg ever made, as far as I am concerned. The first
time I truly cared about the fate of NPC's and characters in a game. The
story drew me into the game and kept me there until the very end. The
Guardian was a fantastic foe, I hated him from the moment I saw his red
face. His continual interference in your quest kept me on my toes, always
wondering what his true motives were. The ending was one of the greatest
moments in my gaming history, I can still hear the guardian cursing at me.

Ultima IV: A true classic. One of the first games to present the feeling of
a true world to explore. The music is unforgetable. Great dungeons. A truely
epic quest, and no big bad wizard to kill.

Wasteland: My friend and I picked this one up at the mall, and played it
straight for a day and a half, until we had to let his Commodore 128 cool
off. fantastic setting, some wonderful writing, and a completely different
setting than the typical fare of the time.

Faery Tale Advenure: A work of art on the Amiga. Beautiful visuals combined
with a fantastic musical score combined to create the closest thing to being
in a real Fairy Tale. A seamless world to explore, with tons of secrets and
goodies to find.

Dungeon Master: The first game to make me feel trapped in an actual dungeon.
Great character creation system, with truly unique characters to choose
from. The visuals weren't spectacular, just extraordinarily well done. It
was the forerunner to Eye of the beholder type real-time dungeon crawling.
Some great puzzles and a nice spell system round out this treat of a game.
It beats out Ultima Underworld(which would be my sixth choice) barely, for
being the first game to give me true dungeon fever.

I guess for me, the most important aspect of a CRPG is the immersiveness,
how involved I get with the game. This is a combinations of a good story,
believevable surroundings and a nice presentation. The graphics don't have
to be spectacular, they just need to create a good sense of the world.

travis

John Reynolds

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Betrayal at Krondor
Torment
Ultima 7
Darklands
Elder Scrolls: Arena

John

Stan Sugrue <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Ben Flieger

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

> I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1/2. Fallout/Fallout 2
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Ultima 7
5. Final Fantasy 3(6) on an emulator.

Bill Silvey

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

: I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

In no particular order:

Wizardry (lumping the first 4 together)
Temple of Apshai
Diablo
The Bard's Tale (again, lumping three games together)
Faery Tale Adventure (on the Amiga)

--
Bill Silvey, Oathmaster, Clan Wolverine - Fuck the IDSA
"I post to see what kind of responses I will get. I don't know of every

tools_tech

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Search Deja News posts from about a month ago. Then go back the month
before that. Then the month before that... etc.

My list hasn't changed since the last time. :-)

Brandt

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
All of course IMHO. Before the flames come, I loved Planescape, and while I
would include it in my top 10, it didn't rank up quite high enough for this
post.

1. Magic Candle: This had a truly unique approach at the time to party
creation, ie. you recruit them, not create them yourself. I also loved how
after you killed monsters, they would not respawn until 30 days had passed.
Too bad the Might & Magic series didn't take this to heart. There was also
no doubt that it had an ending sequence like no other game.

2. Fallout 1 & 2

3. Baldur's Gate: I know lots of people may disagree. I understand it was
mainly hack & slash, but it had beautiful graphics and helped rejuvinate the
RPG genre.

4. Pool of Radiance: among the first officially licensed computer game based
on AD&D. I loved this game on my C64.

5. Realms of Arkania Trilogy: I know I'm in the minority, but there was just
something about this series that made me feel like I was playing a PnP RPG
on my computer. Too many games fail to accomplish this. I say this while
agreeing that overland travel in Star Trail was tedious (especially when you
would lose boots). I loved this series.

Paul Angstrom

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout 1, 2
3. Wasteland
4. Ultima 7
5. Ultima Underworld 1, 2

kwarlord

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

BrianPK <bke...@epix.net> wrote in message
> In no particular order...
>
> Ultima 7 (both of em)
> Planescape: Torment
> Inindo (Super Nintendo)
> Ultima 6
> SoulBlazer (Super Nintendo)

you mean you selected SNES games and you STILL didn't pick decent
RPGs?!......dumbass.

> -BPK

kwarlord

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

what's this?! all this discussion about "top 5 PC RPGs" and NOT ONE mention
of Might and Magic?!

that's it! you're all fucked up!...every last one of you! ;-)

Dirt7373 <dirt...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Fallout 1
> Fallout 2
> Ultima 6
> Ultima 7
> Planescape

Simon Kern

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Stan Sugrue wrote:

> I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

Well, first of all, Wizardry 6 & 7, those two are just the best - great
story, great character creation and evolution, a vast world to explore,
and the first "interactive" NPC´s i know of. Close behind, there´s
Planescape: Torment, with a really great Story. Then there´s Pool of
Radiance, the first SSI-RPG of that kind and Curse of the Azure Bonds. I
also loved FF7, but it was the first one of the FF-series i played, and
they are al quite similar. well, that´s it.
cu Simon

Laner

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Ultima 7
Ultima 5
Wasteland
Fallout
??

Stan Sugrue <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Dirt7373

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

BrianPK

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In no particular order...

Ultima 7 (both of em)
Planescape: Torment
Inindo (Super Nintendo)
Ultima 6
SoulBlazer (Super Nintendo)

-BPK

Alfred G Hailey

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
> I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

My personal choices would be:

Ultima 7
Ultima 4
Betrayal at Krondor
Fallout
Ultima Underworld

--

| Neutronium Dragon | Dragon Code: DC2.D Gm L+++ W T+++! Phfwlt Sks |
| aha...@direct.ca | Cwh^ Bpl A+++! Fr+++ N^ M--- O/ H+++! $---! |

mcguire

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
no particular order

1. Bard's Tale 3
2. Wizardry 7
3. Fallout 1 & 2
4. Wasteland
5. Ultima 5, 7, 7.5

Truthseeker

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
On Mon, 29 May 2000 14:36:21 -0400, Stan Sugrue <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote
these exquisite 4 lines of text:
:===============:

>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

Ultimas 4 & 6 (Amiga)
Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 (8-bit Nintendo)
Might and Magic series (PC)
Dungeon Master (Amiga)
Angband (Amiga, PC, and other systems)

I would LOVE to play Ultima 7 BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK ON MY WINDOWS 95!!!
How do you get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95??? It always tells me I don't
have a SPEECH card!!!!

Would someone tell me how to get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95 (as far as I
know, nobody has ever been able to do it)? I keep hearing how good it is and
I'd really like to play it. I've had "The Complete Ultima 7" for over two years
and I've never gotten beyond the title screen.

All I know is that it's a huge pain to try to get to work because you have to
fiddle with the AUTOEXEC.BAT file and manually fiddle with a million different
settings for your sound card, and basically screw up your system in general to
even *try* to get Ultima 7 working in DOS from a customized floppy boot disk.
Often there isn't enough DOS memory (it needs something like 576K out of a
possible 640K, and you have to disconnect just about every peripheral you've got
to free up that much DOS memory. And my computer has a lot more peripherals now
than it did when I last tried to run Ultima 7 a few years ago.)

For what it's worth, I did once get the game to work at least past the title
screen when I opted to have no sound card at all in the setup.

truthseeker
(Don't forget to change header to seekertruth0 at mindspring.com if replying by email.)

L.J. Wischik

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Truthseeker <unknown@unknown> wrote:
>I would LOVE to play Ultima 7 BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK ON MY WINDOWS 95!!!
>How do you get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95??? It always tells me I don't
>have a SPEECH card!!!!

Basically,

(1) You have to run it from DOS mode
(2) If you want sound, you have to buy an old-fashioned ISA card. A
Soundblaster card would be the best one. There's no way around this.

You should not have to physically remove peripherals. Just don't load
drivers for them.

There was a web page somewhere with small mouse drivers, and a utility
that could load certain drivers into upper memory, and still worked with
U7. But the utility only worked on particular chipsets, and didn't work on
mine, so I didn't take note of the URL.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. www.wischik.com/lu

Paulon

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
At the sight of Truthseeker, people run screaming...

> I would LOVE to play Ultima 7 BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK ON MY WINDOWS 95!!!
> How do you get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95??? It always tells me I don't
> have a SPEECH card!!!!
>

> Would someone tell me how to get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95 (as far as I
> know, nobody has ever been able to do it)? I keep hearing how good it is and
> I'd really like to play it. I've had "The Complete Ultima 7" for over two years
> and I've never gotten beyond the title screen.

<SniP>

There's a site with setup tips for running U7.
http://users.wantree.com.au/~rsd/ultima7.htm
--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!9!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish me Well...

ian...@my-deja.com

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <3932B8A5...@ix.netcom.com>,

Stan Sugrue <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

System Shock 2
PS:T
BG
Ultima IV
Phantasy Star

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jonathan Dunne

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
1 Ultima Underworld 1
2 Ultima Underworld 2
3 Planet scape Torment / Baldurs Gate
4 Dungeon Master
5 Alternate Reality

"Stan Sugrue" <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Nick Leitch

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
I may be out on a limb here, but as they've been on everyone's lists so far,
can we officially name Ultima VII 1&2 the best CRPG's ever made ever ever?
They would certainly get my vote.

Nick.

Alfred G Hailey <aha...@direct.ca> wrote in message

> > I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

Nick Leitch

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Truthseeker <unknown@unknown> wrote in message

> I would LOVE to play Ultima 7 BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK ON MY WINDOWS
95!!!
> How do you get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95??? It always tells me I
don't
> have a SPEECH card!!!!
>
> Would someone tell me how to get Ultima 7 to work on Windows 95 (as far as
> know, nobody has ever been able to do it)? I keep hearing how good it is
and
> I'd really like to play it. I've had "The Complete Ultima 7" for over two
years
> and I've never gotten beyond the title screen.
<SNIP>

> truthseeker
> (Don't forget to change header to seekertruth0 at mindspring.com if
replying by email.)

The best way, IMHO, is to make a boot disk. I know W95 can make a dos
shortcut, but it's much easier to make a boot floppy.
Disclaimer: This is all from memory. Someone else may know better.

1)Format a floppy and copy system files (an option on format from Windows
Explorer lets you copy over system files to a floppy)
2) Edit the autoexec.bat and remove everything except the mouse driver (I
think). I've never needed any soundcard initialisation stuff as long as the
U7 setup is configured correctly.
3) Edit config.sys and remove everything except:
DOS=HIGH, UMB
Device=c:\dos\himem.sys (or something like that)

4) Boot up with this floppy in the drive, and you _should_ be able to boot
up the game fine.
Unfortunately I haven't got my boot disc to hand, or I could let you
know for sure.

Nick.

The keeper

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
<seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1) Ultima Underworld I
2] Ultima Underworld II
3] Diablo
4] Baldurs Gate
5] Lands of Lore I

bmc...@no.spam.ca

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
snip, snip..

>Ultima VII: The greatest crpg ever made, as far as I am concerned. The first
>time I truly cared about the fate of NPC's and characters in a game. The
>story drew me into the game and kept me there until the very end. The
>Guardian was a fantastic foe, I hated him from the moment I saw his red
>face. His continual interference in your quest kept me on my toes, always
>wondering what his true motives were. The ending was one of the greatest
>moments in my gaming history, I can still hear the guardian cursing at me.

I really enjoyed VII as well but did find it just a little to
"scripted" for my liking.

>Ultima IV: A true classic. One of the first games to present the feeling of
>a true world to explore. The music is unforgetable. Great dungeons. A truely
>epic quest, and no big bad wizard to kill.

Agreed - an all time classic and I think, the #1 CRPG of all time.

>Wasteland: My friend and I picked this one up at the mall, and played it
>straight for a day and a half, until we had to let his Commodore 128 cool
>off. fantastic setting, some wonderful writing, and a completely different
>setting than the typical fare of the time.

Alas I had moved onto the Amiga by the time I heard of Wasteland and
it never came out for the Amiga. I did try it later on the PC, but
just could not get into it by then.

>Faery Tale Advenure: A work of art on the Amiga. Beautiful visuals combined
>with a fantastic musical score combined to create the closest thing to being
>in a real Fairy Tale. A seamless world to explore, with tons of secrets and
>goodies to find.

Agreed. I actually sold my 64 and bought my A500 after seeing this
game on a friends system :)

>Dungeon Master: The first game to make me feel trapped in an actual dungeon.
>Great character creation system, with truly unique characters to choose
>from. The visuals weren't spectacular, just extraordinarily well done. It
>was the forerunner to Eye of the beholder type real-time dungeon crawling.
>Some great puzzles and a nice spell system round out this treat of a game.
>It beats out Ultima Underworld(which would be my sixth choice) barely, for
>being the first game to give me true dungeon fever.

A true classic. This was a hell of a game and IMHO, the best use of
sound in a game to date. I remember hearing those Death <?> Knights
coming for me and jumping out of my chair - hehe.

I think back to all the classics on the C64 and the Amiga and wonder
what happened. Remember the Road War 2000 series? I loved em. How
about Questron and Sword of Aragon? Back then there were so many RPG's
out there you couldn't play em all (but I did try)...

- Boone

Mike Kozlowski

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <3932B8A5...@ix.netcom.com>,
Stan Sugrue <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1. Ultima VII. This is a pretty easy choice, as it combined a good
story, non-linear gameplay, and an astonishingly detailed world.

2. Planescape: Torment. I'm a bit wary about selecting something this
recent to an all-time best list, but I think Torment earns the spot with a
novel setting, a superb plot, and the ability to make real, game-affecting
choices in how to play the game. "Multiple solutions to puzzles" is one
of those things that just about every game claims to have, but Torment was
the first game in which there were consistently multiple feasible ways to
do just about everything.

3. Darklands. This was not a perfect game -- it had one of those
free-form structures where cities are all similar, and there's not much in
the way of plot. Still, it had a lot of things going for it. The most
notable was perhaps its superb combat system, which was a pausable
real-time thing that worked in a fashion very like that of Baldur's Gate
(indeed, I seem to recall that the Bioware people were inspired by the
Darklands combat system). Another plus point was it sbrilliant character
creation system, which allowed you to select a background for your
character, and then progress through a career path. I have yet to see a
game with a character generation system as novel and interesting. And
finally, the game had a great setting -- a late medieval Germany, as
people then thought it. I've been disappointed that there haven't been
other significant historical RPGs since Darklands.

4. Ultima VI. In the Ultima series, this is second only to U7 for both
detailed world interaction and story.

5. Baldur's Gate, I suppose. I'm not actually convinced that BG is
worthy of a spot on the Top 5 list, but I can't think of anything that
would supplant it -- and it was a good game, if perhaps too much of a
hackfest for my liking.

Notable Omissions:

Diablo, Might and Magic -- I don't like hack and slash games; I prefer
games with deep stories and world interaction.

Ultima Underworlds -- These were too action-oriented for me to ever
actually get into. I have respect for them -- it's particularly
impressive how far ahead of anyone else UW1 was technologically -- but I
don't like them.

Betrayal at Krondor -- ridiculously over-linear storyline, clumsy
interface, ugly graphics (even for the time)... ugh. I'm not a fan.

Ultima IV -- While its depth of story and world-building was remarkable
for its time, it's pretty primitive by today's standards. Definitely an
influential game, but not one that will provide players with the same
level of enjoyment as something like U7.

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~mkozlows/

Robert Huston

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

> I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1. Wizardry 7
2. Betrayal at Krondor
3. Ultima 7/7.5
4. Might & Magic 4/5 (World of Xeen)
5. Planescape: Torment

Regards,

Bob

DudeNYC

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1. Ultima 7
2. Wasteland
3. Ultima 4
4. Wizardry 6
5. Ultima Underworld 1

with an honerable mention to Questron

Douglas Milewski

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Hmm.

Fallout 1.
TOSC: Durlag's Tower. [Not a full game, but still a wowser.]
Thunderscape [An amazingly well balanced game.]

Hetz

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
1. Ultima 7/7.5
2. Wizardry 7
3. Planescape Torment
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Might and Magic 4/5

Robert Huston <hus...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Stan Sugrue" <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

crpgnut

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Ultima IV....being virtuous is tough!
Might and Magic III....the quest for all obsidian :)
System Shock 2....I hate horror and sci-fi and I still loved this
game!
Amberstar...Non-American prize winner
Arena...less buggy than Daggerfall!

Honorable Mentions:

Exile Trilogy...Jeff Vogel, a shareware author, does what
Richard Garriot did in the late 70's and early 80's, without
the arrogance. Pride goeth before a fall, huh Richard :)

Planescape: Torment...good game, but WAY too linear and scripted
to make my top five. Read a book, via many npcs, do a little
something, and repeat....endlessly. Torment was almost an
adventure game, but still entertaining.

John Carey

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
How about

Ultima Underworld I
Ultima Underworld II
Fallout
Planescape Torment

No #5 stands out in my mind--I think it's probably a game I haven't played
like Ultima VII.

John Carey

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Brandt <bra...@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> 3. Baldur's Gate: I know lots of people may disagree. I understand it
was
> mainly hack & slash, but it had beautiful graphics and helped rejuvinate
the
> RPG genre.

That's an interesting point--should a game be ranked on its inherent
greatness or on its impact on the gaming scene? BG is really the game that
proved that RPGs could be HUGE commercial successes and is probably why more
RPGs are coming out this year than we've seen in many years. Although--to
be fair--the RPG scene had already started to heat up in 1998. Maybe it was
actually Diablo that brought it back, although Diablo wasn't much of an RPG,
really...

Truthseeker

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
On Tue, 30 May 2000 22:24:10 +1200, Paulon <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz>
wrote these exquisite 24 lines of text:
:===============:

><SniP>
>
>There's a site with setup tips for running U7.
>http://users.wantree.com.au/~rsd/ultima7.htm

Thanks a lot! I bookmarked it. When I have time I'll try to get U7 working for
the first time.

Michael Walsh

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
In no particular order:
1. Fallout 1
2. Fallout 2
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Darklands
5. Ultima 4 and/or 7
5.5 Wasteland

Yi Jin-Hoh [Albert]

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
I just found a piece of toast from Nick Leitch with the following message
inscribed:

>I may be out on a limb here, but as they've been on everyone's lists so far,
>can we officially name Ultima VII 1&2 the best CRPG's ever made ever ever?
>They would certainly get my vote.

Maybe it's because I've been weaned on 90s graphics, but I really don't
consider Ultima 7 that much of a classic. It was engrossing, yes, but if you
consider a fairly linear game like U7 to be classic, I'd rate Betrayal at
Krondor over it. BaK gave you the illusion of freedom, at least.

--
Yi Jin-Hoh (Albert)

"Why isn't the skeptic skeptical of his own skepticism?"
-- Self

hoy....@spam.hawaii.me.edu

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Stan Sugrue <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1) Betrayal at Krondor
2) Ultima 7
3) Fallout 1
4) Ultima 6
5) Darklands

BTW, anyone think Darklands would make an awesome MMORPG?

Todd Howard

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Ultima 7
Ultima 4
Ultima 6
Fallout
Arena (hey I had to vote for a Bethesda game!)

Todd Howard
Project Leader: Morrowind
Bethesda Softworks

hoy....@Spam.hawaii.Me.edu wrote in message
<8h43kn$kvd$1...@news.hawaii.edu>...

Grimfarrow

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
1) Wizardry : Crusaders of the Dark Savant
2) Betrayal at Krondor
3) Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
4) Wasteland
5) Planescape: Torment

Grimfarrow

Janne [Snurvel]

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Without any order:
Fallout I
Fallout II
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
(damn I like those two series...)
Planescape: torment

Bo...@usenet.net

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
>Arena (hey I had to vote for a Bethesda game!)
>
>Todd Howard
>Project Leader: Morrowind
>Bethesda Softworks

Todd, the list was for the top 5, not the 5 with most bug's ;=)

sorry, couldn't resist...

- Boone

Michael Walsh

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Yes, the setting would be perfect for a MMRPG. Especially since it isn't the
same old Tolkein derivative. Unfortunately Verant would probably make it and
we'd have to camp the local Burgher for Alchemical components. :P

<hoy....@Spam.hawaii.Me.edu> wrote in message

Herbie Jurvanen

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
wrote:

>I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

1. Wasteland
2. PS:T
3. Fallout 1
4. Space Rogue
5a. Nethack
5b. Knights of Legend

I'm curious: How many people played Wasteland (when it was released-- I can
understand if relatively new players can't get into it) and didn't rank it?
For what reasons? I still can't get over it, ~10 years later.

Herbie J.
Famous Curator

Mike Kozlowski

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
In article <4D730D95B71E049B.B55C029C...@lp.airnews.net>,

Yi Jin-Hoh [Albert] <aj...@nospam.home.com> wrote:

>Maybe it's because I've been weaned on 90s graphics, but I really don't
>consider Ultima 7 that much of a classic. It was engrossing, yes, but if you
>consider a fairly linear game like U7 to be classic, I'd rate Betrayal at
>Krondor over it. BaK gave you the illusion of freedom, at least.

You, my friend, are insane. U7 may have had a fairly linear main plot,
but the game itself was thoroughly non-linear -- you could always go off
and do something else, because there were lots of other things to do.
Sidequests to undertake, uncharted wilderness areas to explore (often
containing cool things).

In Krondor, if you went off the (even more linear) main path, there was
just Generic World. You could fight Generic Enemies, and encounter
Generic People, but that was it.

Not Sasquatch

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 02:19:26 +0100, this matter stream from Mark
Stevens <ma...@headspin.clara.net> appeared:

>On Wed, 31 May 2000 02:27:10 GMT, unknown@unknown (Truthseeker) wrote:
>
>>Thanks a lot! I bookmarked it. When I have time I'll try to get U7 working for
>>the first time.
>

>If all these methods fail, then you can always give up, grab a decent
>SNES emulator and hunt for the U7 ROM. However, I'm not sure just how
>much of the PC version is in the SNES version. I suspect it's just the
>first part without the expansion.

And heavily censored. No longer ritual killings, they're kidnappings.

Mark Stevens

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
On Wed, 31 May 2000 02:27:10 GMT, unknown@unknown (Truthseeker) wrote:

>Thanks a lot! I bookmarked it. When I have time I'll try to get U7 working for
>the first time.

If all these methods fail, then you can always give up, grab a decent
SNES emulator and hunt for the U7 ROM. However, I'm not sure just how
much of the PC version is in the SNES version. I suspect it's just the
first part without the expansion.

--
Mark Stevens

http://www.headspin.clara.net/
http://pressx.cjb.net/

Paul Barnes

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

> I'm curious: How many people played Wasteland (when it was released-- I
can
> understand if relatively new players can't get into it) and didn't rank
it?
> For what reasons? I still can't get over it, ~10 years later.
>

> Herbie J.
> Famous Curator

I tried it for the c64 when it was new, but it was to buggy for me, couldnt
keep it running if i had 2 drives connected, but rearranging my entire
system(jumpers, non stop freaking jumper settings) wasnt worth it.

rgrace

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
The graphics and music are the same. However, the game is now a clone of
Legend of Zelda (SNES version) e.g. the combat is player done (there is an
attack button which makes the avatar punch or swing whatever weapon he has),
keys are no longer 'door specific' and you cant get companions (I dont
think).

Interesting game though. I'll play it through one day.

Rob

Grimfarrow

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

> >I may be out on a limb here, but as they've been on everyone's lists so far,
> >can we officially name Ultima VII 1&2 the best CRPG's ever made ever ever?
> >They would certainly get my vote.

Apparently people so easily forgets how horridly buggy and unplayable Ultima
7 was when it came out. Somehow, Origin seemed to outdo this bugginess
with the next 3 subsequent Ultima releases.

Grimfarrow

Nick Leitch

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

Grimfarrow <rpha...@calpoly.edu> wrote in message

I bought it with the first release, and completed it all the way through
with virtually no problems at all - except the occasional music loop.

Perfectly playable for me.

Nick.

Bo...@usenet.net

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
My biggest problem with U7 was (well other that the stupid memory
manager that they used) the combat. I'm a turn based combat freak, so
when Ultima went away from the phased combat it was just never the
same, sorry.

Thats actually why I'm really looking forward to PoR2, IMHO it holds
the most promise of all the new RPGs coming...

- Boone

Michael Walsh

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Hasbro (aka Sierra) was working on one, but due to complete and total
cluelessness on their part they 1. fired all the developers in one of their
reorganizations / had differences over the direction the developers were
going with the game. 2. Sierra then proceeded to do nothing with the license
in spite of the impending film release.

Needless to say, I find quite a bit of likeliness in the rumors that they
will be soon loosing their Tolkein license. Perhaps some other company will
gain the license soon and actually have to wherewithal to produce something
with it...

John Secker <jo...@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <yKvZ4.449$Sk.1...@news.uswest.net>, Michael Walsh
> <mnw...@nospam.uswest.net> writes

> >Yes, the setting would be perfect for a MMRPG. Especially since it isn't
the
> >same old Tolkein derivative. Unfortunately Verant would probably make it
and
> >we'd have to camp the local Burgher for Alchemical components. :P
> >

> Talking of Tolkein derivatives, what about a Tolkein game. A RPG set in
> Middle Earth, maybe based on the ICE P&P RPG games. It seems years,
> several generations of hardware, since the last Middle Earth games of
> any kind, never mind RPGs. Or have I missed something?
> --
> John Secker

Litmus Dragon

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
1. Ultima V
2. Ultima VII
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Dragon Warrior IV
5. Champions of Krynn

I love questions like these.

---

/_itmus /)ragon
U* D* I* C*
First Sargent in Charge of Chocolate! *C *L *O *U *D *S
U1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!
d e N++ T-- Om++ u+ uC++ uF++ uG uLB uA-- nC+ nH+ nP nI nPT nS++
nT wC- wS wI wN z a25
Upper-class twit of the year!

email: litmus...@mailcity.com
Dragon Engine: http://dragonengine.rpgmaker.net/

Litmus Dragon

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
In article <ScWMEXA$psN5...@secker.demon.co.uk>, John Secker

<jo...@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Talking of Tolkein derivatives, what about a Tolkein game. A
RPG set in
>Middle Earth, maybe based on the ICE P&P RPG games. It seems
years,
>several generations of hardware, since the last Middle Earth
games of
>any kind, never mind RPGs. Or have I missed something?
>--
>John Secker

There was a Lord of the Rings RPG. It came out around the time
of Ultima VI, and was similar in terms of look and feel. I
recall it as being no fun at all to play, though.

ben...@speakeasy.org

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

My list in chronological order. Basically these are the games that I
was sorry to see end. In the case of Wizard's Crown, it may be that I
was sorry to see it end because it was so short.

Wizard's Crown
Wasteland
Darklands
Fallout
Fallout 2

I'm a little surprised that more people aren't picking Nethack or
other roguelikes. Not my thing, but I know people who started playing
ten years ago, and still play today.

Ben
www.speakeasy.org/~benhard

Mike Kozlowski

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
In article <8DC854CAE51760DC.DBE2E67E...@lp.airnews.net>,

Yi Jin-Hoh [Albert] <aj...@nospam.home.com> wrote:
>I just found a piece of toast from Mike Kozlowski with the following
>message inscribed:

[The linearity of U7 and BaK]

>>You, my friend, are insane. U7 may have had a fairly linear main plot,
>>but the game itself was thoroughly non-linear -- you could always go off
>>and do something else, because there were lots of other things to do.
>>Sidequests to undertake, uncharted wilderness areas to explore (often
>>containing cool things).
>

>Hmm, it's been awhile. I remember having to travel up Britannia, and not
>having true freedom until I got the magic carpet (which was a pain to land).

Hmm. You could pretty much go anywhere in the main continent from the
get-go (well, once you got out of Trinsic); and you could visit the
islands as soon as you picked up a boat.

>I guess because I only played through once I found the game a bit linear.
>I just kept following the trail of Batlin and his cohorts, and there seemed
>to be a definite fixed path the developers wanted you to follow.

There definitely was a linear main plot, but you didn't have to stick to
it all the time. When I started the game, I mostly ignored the plot and
just went exploring -- talk to all the people in a city, thoroughly check
out the wilderness areas, that sort of thing. Doing the plot stuff sort
of fell in naturally with that process.

ttu...@ecn.ab.ca

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Kodiak, the Wonder Koala (jih62...@hotmail.com) wrote:

: Fallout 1
: Darklands
: Ultima V
: Bard's Tale III
: Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (had a time chosing this, Proving
: Grounds of the Mad Overlord, or Return of Werdna)
<snip>

--> Hey, I'm old. Sue me . . .

My top five are -

A2 - Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
A2 - Bard's Tale
A2 - Might & Magic
A2 - Dark Heart of UUkrull (hated seeing this one end...)
Amiga - Dungeon Master

runner-up: Legend of Faerghail (Amiga)

--
E.A.G.L.E Librarian A3 BBS:403/481-3133 email:ttu...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

ttu...@ecn.ab.ca

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Kodiak, the Wonder Koala (jih62...@hotmail.com) wrote:
<snip>

--> Sorry - shouldn't have posted - none of them are PC-based.

However, my wife and I enjoyed them immensely and we have
fond memories of hours spent in gaming, mapping, fighting,
trading, equiping, buying/selling - t'was much fun . . .

Jeff

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Hrm, I'd have to say for my top 5.

1. System Shock
2. Ultima IV
3. Wasteland
4. Alternate Reality (The Dungeon)
5. Ultima III.

Four ancient games and one fairly old one.

Maybe I'm overly sentimental but as bloody awseome as ss2 was, (Best game of
last year imo) I still think the original was better.

Jeff

Kodiak, the Wonder Koala

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00

Fallout 1
Darklands
Ultima V
Bard's Tale III
Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (had a time chosing this, Proving
Grounds of the Mad Overlord, or Return of Werdna)

Honorable Mention -- Planescape: Torment

Baron Of Hell

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
On Tue, 30 May 2000 08:50:40 GMT, unknown@unknown (Truthseeker) wrote:

Look on the net for a program called moslo to slow the game down. The
game runs at a unplayable speed on newer machines.

ADD bill to subject
line to e-mail.

Brian Robinson

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
ben...@speakeasy.org blathered:

> I'm a little surprised that more people aren't picking Nethack or
> other roguelikes. Not my thing, but I know people who started playing
> ten years ago, and still play today.

They're great games, but they're not RPGs. I've been playing
Angband for over ten years, but I don't play it much anymore. I play
around with the new releases of different variants, but its not too
satisfying anymore. I like something totally different, like Crawl.

--
Brian Robinson
brob...@ist.ucf.edu

Grimfarrow

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00

Michael Walsh wrote:

> Hasbro (aka Sierra) was working on one, but due to complete and total
> cluelessness on their part they 1. fired all the developers in one of their
> reorganizations / had differences over the direction the developers were
> going with the game. 2. Sierra then proceeded to do nothing with the license
> in spite of the impending film release.
>
> Needless to say, I find quite a bit of likeliness in the rumors that they
> will be soon loosing their Tolkein license. Perhaps some other company will
> gain the license soon and actually have to wherewithal to produce something
> with it...

Wow, this is the first time I've heard that Hasbro bought Havas and all their
gaming companies! And to think that I thought Havas is larger than Hasbro.

Okay, sorry for the snide remarks :0 I'm in a weird mood today.

Havas owns Sierra, not Hasbro.

Grimfarrow

hoy....@spam.hawaii.me.edu

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Bo...@usenet.net wrote:
: My biggest problem with U7 was (well other that the stupid memory

: manager that they used) the combat. I'm a turn based combat freak, so
: when Ultima went away from the phased combat it was just never the
: same, sorry.

Don't forget the awful AI of your companions. "Don't worry, Iolo, there's
only a few triple-crossbow bolts sticking out of my back. Go finish off
the monsters while I take a nap."

: Thats actually why I'm really looking forward to PoR2, IMHO it holds

Sylvain Chipaux

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
1- Phantasy III (atari ST)
2- Chaos Strike Back (Dungeon Master extension - Atari ST)
3- Dungeon Master
4- The Elder Scroll - Arena
5- Wizardry VII

Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

Nick Leitch

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00

> Bo...@usenet.net wrote:

> Don't forget the awful AI of your companions. "Don't worry, Iolo, there's
> only a few triple-crossbow bolts sticking out of my back. Go finish off
> the monsters while I take a nap."
>

> : - Boone

The worst was when they ran out of arrows/bolts, and swapped over to the
staff of mass fiery destruction that you'd carelessly given them to
hold......

Nick.

Jarno Kaarinen

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Mark Stevens <ma...@headspin.clara.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 May 2000 02:27:10 GMT, unknown@unknown (Truthseeker) wrote:
>
>>Thanks a lot! I bookmarked it. When I have time I'll try to get U7 working for
>>the first time.
>
>If all these methods fail, then you can always give up, grab a decent
>SNES emulator and hunt for the U7 ROM. However, I'm not sure just how

Aaargh! Nooo! The SNES version is a bastardized version of PC U7,
having very little in common, and the feel is all lost.

Same applies to SNES version of U6, too.

>much of the PC version is in the SNES version. I suspect it's just the
>first part without the expansion.

SNES U7 is censored (you are not investigating a murder, but a
kidnapping... blah!), Iolo doesn't for some reason seem as happy to
see you as in PC U7, you are travelling alone in SNES U7, the dialog
in SNES version is much worse than in PC version...

SNES U7 is a disgrace. Don't touch it with a ten feet pole.

Jarno Kaarinen

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
"rgrace" <robert...@capgemini.co.uk> wrote:

>The graphics and music are the same.

(PC U7 vs SNES U7). Not really...

rgrace

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
Well, I must confess I haven't played it that much, but it seemed to use the
same sprites and tiles, and had the same incidental music.

atholbrose

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:30:04 +0100, rgrace <robert...@capgemini.co.uk> wrote:
>Jarno Kaarinen wrote in message ...
>>"rgrace" <robert...@capgemini.co.uk> wrote:
>>>The graphics and music are the same.
>>(PC U7 vs SNES U7). Not really...
>Well, I must confess I haven't played it that much, but it seemed to use the
>same sprites and tiles, and had the same incidental music.

...the viewpoint was totally different in the SNES U7. The maps are
different. The conversations are different. The music is the same, but U7
on the PC didn't have looping music in the background all the time. Plus
the music is a lot simpler on the SNES.

I'd have to say they're very different games.

--
r. n. dominick -- cinn...@one.net

this blinding kiss breathes helium into my heart

Mtattoo

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
These aren't in order

Phantasie 2(c64)
Wizards Crown (c64)
Might and Magic
Dungeon Master(amiga)
Wasteland

Other, more recent games may be technically better, but nothing has captured
my imagination and eaten up as much time at these. Plus we used to play
these cooperatively at the same machine(particularly DM), something either I
or the games out now have lost the ability to do.

> I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.

Colin Dawson

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Stan Sugrue (seac...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I am soliciting opinions on the Top 5 RPGs of all time.
:
:
:

Betrayal in Krondor
- I personally liked this one since it had good graphics, lots of side
quest, good NPC interaction, and a great story.

Might and Magic (Series)
- The Might and Magic series is a compelling series, yet also does not
take its self too seriously, and allows you to build up characters to
insane levels. The high tech weapons are also a great joke, since in alot
of ways it makes fun of AD&D with them.
MM6 "Sir, we are under attack by 25 Dragon"
"Set phaser on max and open fire"

Dragon Wars
- This was intresting since you had to solve ways to get to difference
places and you couldn't just get insanely strong.

Pools of Darkness
- The strength needed to finish this game was alot but it could be done.

Colin
yu10...@yorku.ca

Sheitan

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

> > >I may be out on a limb here, but as they've been on everyone's lists so
far,
> > >can we officially name Ultima VII 1&2 the best CRPG's ever made ever
ever?
> > >They would certainly get my vote.
>
> Apparently people so easily forgets how horridly buggy and unplayable
Ultima
> 7 was when it came out. Somehow, Origin seemed to outdo this bugginess
> with the next 3 subsequent Ultima releases.
>
> Grimfarrow

Umm, really? I never found any bugs in U7....

- Sheitan

Sheitan

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
In no particular order:

Planescape: Torment
Ultima 7
Betrayal at Krondor
Fallout 2
And, scary but true, Baldur's Gate (I had HEAPS of fun with that game)

- Sheitan

Grimfarrow

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Well, you didn't buy the game the first day it came out, then.
You were lucky.

Grimfarrow

Paul Smith

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Iolo doesn't for some reason seem as happy to see you as in PC U7...

Sorry to interrupt, I'm not disagreeing with you, I just thought this bit was hilarious...
(Maybe he's just cranky about being in a poor conversion?)

Jarno Kaarinen

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Paul Smith <pds...@member.greens.org.au> wrote:

Yeah, well, when you arrive to the Britannia at the beginning of the
PC version of U7, Iolo goes something like:

"Oh my god! Avatar? Is that really you? I can't tell how happy I am to
see you!" etc. etc., and after awhile Iolo saddens again and tells you
about the terrible bloody murder that has taken place in the stable.

In SNES version it is more like:

"Greetings, Avatar. I, Iolo, have missed you. There has been a
terrible crime (kidnapping, har har)." etc.

I mean, Iolo talks like some idiot robot in the SNES version! And rest
of the dialog in SNES version is just as idiotic, whereas the one in
PC version was at times very very good.

Ultima 6 (PC vs SNES) had a similar problem. Just check out the intro
of both how different the story telling is. PC version is almost like
a poem, SNES version has very simplified and monotonous story telling
in very basic English.

Other than that, the SNES version of U6 is much more successful
conversion than the one of U7.

Lou Nelson

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
1. DARKLANDS
2. Ultima 4 & Ultima 7/(7.5) ( does anyone remember playing U1or 2 on a c64
and fliping floppies 3 stpes to the left of briticana to jump in a cut
screen to a dugeon to steal gold!?)
3.
4. THE ENTIRE GOLD BOX Series (POR, Kryn series...u name em all.. Yep Curse
of the Azure ..)
5. Bards Tale (all 3) (Did any one else spend countless hours teleporting to
a square in a tower to kill 4 groups of 99 bezirckers?)

is that more then top 5? (Otherwise Magic Candle, Daggerfall, M&M 345, Wiz
1,2,3, Wasteland also)

A recent RPG that could and should make a top 5 list is BG... however IWD
will really determine what happens here
Diablo I and now Diablo II rocks (yes DII is awesome) (but I just dont call
it RPG)

For the worst disappointments ever
Who the hell called system shock an RPG?
Sorry I did not like Fallout
PS:T... It was okay

--

Lou Nelson, CCNP, CCDA

"Stan Sugrue" <seac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Ebonio

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 09:37:21 GMT, "Lou Nelson" <LouN...@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>1. DARKLANDS
>2. Ultima 4 & Ultima 7/(7.5) ( does anyone remember playing U1or 2 on a c64
>and fliping floppies 3 stpes to the left of briticana to jump in a cut
>screen to a dugeon to steal gold!?)
>3.
>4. THE ENTIRE GOLD BOX Series (POR, Kryn series...u name em all.. Yep Curse
>of the Azure ..)
>5. Bards Tale (all 3) (Did any one else spend countless hours teleporting to
>a square in a tower to kill 4 groups of 99 bezirckers?)
>
>is that more then top 5? (Otherwise Magic Candle, Daggerfall, M&M 345, Wiz
>1,2,3, Wasteland also)
>
>A recent RPG that could and should make a top 5 list is BG... however IWD
>will really determine what happens here
>Diablo I and now Diablo II rocks (yes DII is awesome) (but I just dont call
>it RPG)
>
>For the worst disappointments ever
>Who the hell called system shock an RPG?
>Sorry I did not like Fallout
>PS:T... It was okay

1- Fallout 1 & 2 - love post apocalyptic/sci-fi settings . Wish there was more RPGs taking
that route
2- PST - Very good story , renewed my faith in the BG engine
3- Final Fantasy IV (japanese number , it was 2 in the US IIRC) - such a good story , made
me enjoy console RPGs.
4- Ultima V (apple 2 version) - better then IV IMO
5- Wizardry (apple 2 version) - gotta give props for the first CRPG I played ;-)