Stunt Island = This game diserves an update.

Justin Tribble

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

Ever played Stunt Island?
Released by Disney in 1992, this movie/game designer quickly became a
cult hit. Anyone who has played SI has certainly enjoyed it. But the
graphics are very dated. Nevertheless, the IDEA behind this game is
well deserving of an update. It doesn't look like Disney is going to
release a SI2, but hopefully another company will take this idea and
incorporate it into a new realm of graphic improvment.

Justin Tribble
Sedona, Az.

st...@faber.edu

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Justin Tribble <Pred...@sedona.net> wrote:
: Ever played Stunt Island?

Actually, I loved the game *because* of the graphics. It managed to pull
off very cool 3D graphics with nary a texture map in sight. The graphics
engine was spry even on my lame-o machine.

It also had a fairly large and well populated world to cruise around in. I
loved buzzing the small town at night (didn't it have a drive-in)? I spent
more time just flying around enjoying the scenery than I did actually
trying any of the stunts - although they were cool. And the stunt designer
and "film" editing were pretty breakthrough for the day, as well.

Definitely a classic worth seeing updated.

B.K.Myskja

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Pred...@sedona.net (Justin Tribble) wrote:

>Ever played Stunt Island?
>Released by Disney in 1992, this movie/game designer quickly became a
>cult hit. Anyone who has played SI has certainly enjoyed it. But the
>graphics are very dated. Nevertheless, the IDEA behind this game is
>well deserving of an update. It doesn't look like Disney is going to
>release a SI2, but hopefully another company will take this idea and
>incorporate it into a new realm of graphic improvment.

I loved Stunt Island! It`s sad that nobody has taken the idea and
updated it with more "stunts" and better graphics, yes.

Bjoern K Myskja

Vernon Pellerin

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

I second that. With todays processing power, and 3D card support, could you
imagine Stunt Island now?

To REPLY, remove the word "BOGUS" from the return address.

AND FOR YOU AUTOMATED EMAIL SPAMMERS OUT THERE,
HERE IS A LIST OF SPAMMERS WHO ARE DYING TO
RECIEVE AS MUCH SPAM AS THEY GIVE:

u...@ftc.gov afr...@irs.gov nf...@internetmci.com
feed...@perfect-partners.com jimm...@hotmail.com
mail2...@compuserve.com adul...@adultage.com
cath...@ctynet.com vid...@hotmail.com
emdi...@answerme.com emd...@hotmail.com
bi...@zignzag.com ws...@usa.net
the...@1stfamily.com clu...@aol.com
powe...@financier.com ht...@rapidconnect.com
sk...@lostvegas.com free...@nim.com
Danner...@netsky.net imc...@hotmail.com
st...@quantcom.com cybe...@nevwest.com
ht...@mail-response.com al...@adultsights.com
sim...@answerme.com pret...@hotmail.com
hgl...@power-tech.net scan...@nevwest.com
firstf...@sixteen.com sum...@internetmedia.com
40...@pyramus.com the...@1stfamily.com
ro...@digmeup.com babb...@answerme.com
r...@cybertime.net jam...@powerup.com.au
jump...@hotmail.com bulk...@freeyellow.com
ro...@no-taxes.com mega...@pcmatrix.com
mai...@mail.cucamonga.com vir...@netwave.ca
hfre...@pluto.skyweb.net hostm...@skyweb.net
no...@adultsights.com hfre...@adultsights.com
webm...@fsmc.woy.com a...@ourlocation.com
free...@hotmail.com al...@adultsights.com
jgat...@hotmail.com acc...@webcruiser.com
cust...@zauction.com m...@opkone.com
ord...@answerme.com orde...@kwikmail.com
ilike...@juzdoit.com ol...@1011.com
bl...@kode.net i...@cyberip.net ham...@answerme.com
guara...@hotmail.com cy...@cybertecpro.com
tele...@aol.com in...@videofantasy.com
la...@videofantasy.com ke...@videofantasy.com
sha...@videofantasy.com webm...@supersuck.com
in...@lcgm.com ca...@chasecash.com
freed...@regulus.net
sanf...@bellatlantic.net free...@hotmail.com

AND HERE'S THE EMAIL ADDRESSES OF THE CURRENT BOARD OF
THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION:

Chairman Reed Hundt: rhu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello: jqu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Susan Ness: sn...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Rachelle Chong: rch...@fcc.gov

HOW ABOUT THE PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT WHILE WE'RE AT IT:

pres...@whitehouse.gov
vicepr...@whitehouse.gov

AND LET'S HELP YOU SEND SOME SPAM TO THE USPS, TOO:

cust...@email.usps.gov

Justin Tribble

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

I agree, I love the graphics, but they do need an update.

Sunny Chow

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

I second that! I loved Stunt Island too; its graphics were ahead of it
time in 1992. I remember it even had Gourard shading.

I, too, hope Disney or someone else updates it.

Sunny Chow

Nanshing

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Hear! Hear!

Sunny Chow <su...@toppro.com> wrote in article
<344AF2...@toppro.com>...

Stan Trevena

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

In article <62b58a$dbi$8...@news3.texas.net>, Pred...@sedona.net says...

> Ever played Stunt Island?
> Released by Disney in 1992, this movie/game designer quickly became a
> cult hit. Anyone who has played SI has certainly enjoyed it. But the
> graphics are very dated. Nevertheless, the IDEA behind this game is
> well deserving of an update. It doesn't look like Disney is going to
> release a SI2, but hopefully another company will take this idea and
> incorporate it into a new realm of graphic improvment.
>
> Justin Tribble
> Sedona, Az.

I had a ball with that one. I had one stunt where the castle would shoot
cows from a catapult (ala Monty Python) at a plane flying by with a guy
hanging below. The camera shots switched back and forth between a rear
veiw of the guy hanging from the plane, and a view from the side of the
catapult. Full sound effects with the "I fart in your general direction"
line at the end. Childish, but what fun to pull it off. I did it on a
dare from a fellow Monty Python fan. He cracked up when I emailed it to
him. Too bad I don't have the file (or the game) anymore.

- Stan Trevena

HiFi

Oct 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/28/97

In article <62b58a$dbi$8...@news3.texas.net>, Pred...@sedona.net (Justin
Tribble) wrote:

> Released by Disney in 1992, this movie/game designer quickly became a
> cult hit. Anyone who has played SI has certainly enjoyed it. But the
> graphics are very dated. Nevertheless, the IDEA behind this game is
> well deserving of an update. It doesn't look like Disney is going to
> release a SI2, but hopefully another company will take this idea and
> incorporate it into a new realm of graphic improvment.

I liked the graphics when it came out. Lots of detail and ran smoothly
on the average pc of the time.

Great Concept! But Disney did not seem to know how to market it. It's
really a simulator for making flying movies. The camera capabilities and
controls, the editing, mixing sound effects and music - NOBODY has ever
done anything else like it!

Just imagine a "Longbow Movie Making" add-on to LB2. <sigh>

Mats Rickenbacker Nylund

Oct 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/29/97

In article <635rk2$4...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, Hi...@worldnet.att.spamno.net wrote:
>Great Concept! But Disney did not seem to know how to market it. It's
>really a simulator for making flying movies. The camera capabilities and
>controls, the editing, mixing sound effects and music - NOBODY has ever
>done anything else like it!

Yep, I played it until I wore my disks out :). The graphics were quite good,
excellent for their time, and no one has made trees as good to this day. But
the flight model was really shitty, it flew like a cow sinking through
molasses, couldn't turn, couldn't maneuver, couldn't anything. No wonder the
stunts were so hard to perform :).

But I agree that a remake would be in order though, perhaps with fewer planes
and more detailed flight modeling (LOTS of room for improvement there :).
Perhaps a helicopter as well....

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund

mailto:rickenNOb...@innocent.com
http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-11503/

The Maverick

Oct 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/29/97

Mats Rickenbacker Nylund wrote:

> But I agree that a remake would be in order though, perhaps with fewer planes
> and more detailed flight modeling (LOTS of room for improvement there :).
> Perhaps a helicopter as well....

But that's missing the point of Stunt Island: make outrageous movies,
fly outrageous stunts, have the doctor remove your landing gear from
your spleen, etc. Whether the flight model is 100% realistic isn't the
point, and a "lighter" flight model is understandable in a game like
this that would appeal to gamers who weren't hardcore flight-sim
fanatics. The relaxed flight model also allowed for the widest range of
aircraft in any sim...

An updated Stunt Island would be great, but I hope they don't screw it
up by trying to make it into a realistic flight simulator.

the Mav

--

http://www.volcano.net/~themaverick
http://members.aol.com/~thmaverick
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/6747
> Come scratch Jimmy, the neglected Web Dog!
http://www.volcano.net/~themaverick/jimmy.html

Mats Rickenbacker Nylund

Oct 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/30/97

In article <34576D...@Volcano.Net>, The Maverick <TheMa...@Volcano.Net> wrote:
>But that's missing the point of Stunt Island: make outrageous movies,
>fly outrageous stunts, have the doctor remove your landing gear from
>your spleen, etc. Whether the flight model is 100% realistic isn't the
>point, and a "lighter" flight model is understandable in a game like
>this that would appeal to gamers who weren't hardcore flight-sim
>fanatics. The relaxed flight model also allowed for the widest range of
>aircraft in any sim...
>
>An updated Stunt Island would be great, but I hope they don't screw it
>up by trying to make it into a realistic flight simulator.
Hmm, yeah, but a more realistic flight model (although perhaps not to Warbirds
standards) with a more fluid feel, would make it much easier to fly those
amazing stunts :). I mean, in real life you _can_ turn a Pitts Special on a
dime, but in the game it has roughly the same turning radius (and turn rate)
as the airliner. I don't want a realistic flight sim here, I want one that
_feels_ realistic :).
<shudder as I imagine flying stunts in Hind for example :)>

HiFi

Nov 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/5/97

Well, I think a SI-II would need a "reasonable" flight model. Doesn't
have to be air combat quality. Same for other vehicles like cars,
trucks. With all the money made by big H-wood action flicks, I think a
new version - marketed better - would be great!

jas.zio...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2020, 3:07:56 PM3/27/20
It is 2020. 23 years later. You would not imagine what 3d cards can support now :D