F-18 Sim

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Steve Pearce

unread,
Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
to
sfra...@limestone.kosone.com (Sean Frawley) wrote:

>While looking through my favourite software store, I happened to
>notice that SU-27 was now out. This was no big surprise because I was
>expecting it. What did surprise me, however, was a new F-18 Sim (the
>name eludes me) bundled in a very large box with an accompanying
>videotape. The screen shots on the back seemed very good and it did
>not call for a Pentium to play (486 33 but 486/66 preferred). Has
>anyone seen or used this sim and what is your opinion? I have not yet
>heard anything about it so it was a surprise to me.
>

I think it was called "Navy Strike". I posted a similar request
yesterday but so far no one has replied.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ Steve Pearce --- Octel CSSD ~~
~~ steve....@cssd.octel.com ~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott Morgan

unread,
Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
to
Sean Frawley <sfra...@limestone.kosone.com> writes:

>expecting it. What did surprise me, however, was a new F-18 Sim (the
>name eludes me) bundled in a very large box with an accompanying

Terry is correct,
The sim in question is F-18 Black Knight. Named after the first squad to
get the F/A18 (so the manual says). All in all it runs very well on my
486/75. It is what I would call a "beginners sim" or a "blow off some mindless
time" hardcore simmers treat. The flight md err.. model feels very good
and is what the model in F18 Naval Strike Fighter (SH) should have been IMO.
Where the sim falls flat is in complexity and depth. In some missions
the computer will put you in flight right over your target. Not too bad
except that your wingman will "take the shot" and before you even know it,
"MIssion over, lets go home" There is no campaign, just a bunch of canned
missions that have no relation to each other (and peole think SU27 is p bad!).
The mission editor only allows you to setup A2A encounters in the most
simplistic of ways.

The gaphics are very nice for VGA. Much like TFX in some ways. The sounds
are ok. As far as I can tell there is nothing under the "skin" if you will.

Were I in the business of recomending sims, I would say this is for the
beginner or for a computer owning jet enthusiast wh o has not yet
really gotten into sims. Simple and pretty enough for fun, not complex
enough for the die hard flyer over time. A good Christmas gift for the
budding arm chair flyer.

This is after about 10-15 hours of flyinbg and readng and messing with
things. I have only gottne up to about mission 6 (without hardly a challenge)
but have meesed with the A2A a good bit.

Please excuse all spelling errors. I see them but cannot fix them as
my primary internet server is down and this terminal is not correctly setup.

Scott
S_mo...@Delphi.com

Terry Jinn

unread,
Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
to
> >What did surprise me, however, was a new F-18 Sim (the
> >name eludes me) bundled in a very large box with an accompanying
> >videotape. The screen shots on the back seemed very good and it did
> >not call for a Pentium to play (486 33 but 486/66 preferred). Has
> >anyone seen or used this sim and what is your opinion? I have not yet
> >heard anything about it so it was a surprise to me.
>
> I think it was called "Navy Strike". I posted a similar request
> yesterday but so far no one has replied.
>

No. The game in question is "Black Knight"...there have been posts about
this game...it's only in VGA, but some people like the game overall...no
Falcon killer though...(not like EF2000..)

Supposedly the flight model is good, but you have a sort of "lone wolf"
feel...like Strike Eagle III...


It is published by FormGen

Terry Jinn
tj...@interport.net

!

Trevor Rogers (CS)

unread,
Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
to

The sim you saw is called "Black Knight" after an actual operating
squadron (I believe- not 100% sure). Anyway, it is a fairly well
written sim but not very advanced. It seems to be the work of a rather
small but talented team. The sound is well done, the graphics are much
like Tornado, and the flight ,odeling seems to be up to par. I honestly
have mixed feelings about this one. Please note that my comments are
based on the demo.

I would say that this sim falls in the category of "try before you buy."
Regards,
T.R.


Steve Pearce (steve....@octel.com)

wrote: : sfra...@limestone.kosone.com (Sean Frawley) wrote:

: >While looking through my favourite software store, I happened to
: >notice that SU-27 was now out. This was no big surprise because I was

: >expecting it. What did surprise me, however, was a new F-18 Sim (the


: >name eludes me) bundled in a very large box with an accompanying
: >videotape. The screen shots on the back seemed very good and it did
: >not call for a Pentium to play (486 33 but 486/66 preferred). Has
: >anyone seen or used this sim and what is your opinion? I have not yet
: >heard anything about it so it was a surprise to me.
: >

: I think it was called "Navy Strike". I posted a similar request
: yesterday but so far no one has replied.


: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


: ~~ Steve Pearce --- Octel CSSD ~~
: ~~ steve....@cssd.octel.com ~~
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--

Trevor "Zone 5" Rogers *** "ANYTIME BABY!" ***
-=*+*=-
VF-84 jOLLY ROGERS | _ |
Fleet Defender |__(0)__|
-----------===(\] (.) [/)===------------
*^ Q o o Q ^*
!
_||_______
\ | /
~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^\_/^^^^^~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages