Longbow 2 autopilot bug (and a question)

Richard Whitcombe

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

I have experienced several times with longbow 2 what may or may not be
a bug. When flying in autopilot mode or even auto hover it
occasionally disconnects "Autopilot off" message heard etc. This
usually happens at the most inconvenient moment like close to a hill
at 20 ft etc and has caused me to lose a few missions. During this
time i have not touched the joystick (it is just on the table in front
of me) and it is calibrated properly and doesn't appear to be drifting
in windows calibrate screen.
PC is a Pentium-II clocked to 300 MHz with Orchid 3DFX card with a CH
Flightstick Pro joystick (i am aware of the hat control problem with
the stick).

Has anyone else experienced this at all or is it just me ?
I have also had a problem sometimes when returning to a FARP after a
completed mission and i occasionally do not receive the clear to land
message. If i land anyway (sometimes VERY close to other helos) on
the debrief it lists my helo as MIA even though pilot is ok. Anyone
else had this or is my CD jinx'd !?

Also is there going to be a patch released to fix some minor bugs with
the game and will it include Force Feedback support (FFPro stick) ?

Please reply via email as this ISPs news server is not the best thing
on earth...

TIA

Richard Whitcombe (Richard....@BTInternet.com)

Nate Estep

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 16:30:18 GMT, Richard....@BTInternet.com
(Richard Whitcombe) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have experienced several times with longbow 2 what may or may not be
>a bug. When flying in autopilot mode or even auto hover it
>occasionally disconnects "Autopilot off" message heard etc. This
>usually happens at the most inconvenient moment like close to a hill
>at 20 ft etc and has caused me to lose a few missions. During this
>time i have not touched the joystick (it is just on the table in front
>of me) and it is calibrated properly and doesn't appear to be drifting
>in windows calibrate screen.
>PC is a Pentium-II clocked to 300 MHz with Orchid 3DFX card with a CH
>Flightstick Pro joystick (i am aware of the hat control problem with
>the stick).

This should work for you:

start - settings - control panel - game controllers - advanced

Uncheck the "poll with interrupts enabled" box.

--Nate Estep
nestep.at.slip.net

Derrell Willis

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

I have the same problem sometimes and I have both settings off. Just out
of curiosity, to anybody having this problem, is your gameport on it's on
card or coming off another card ie. your sound card.

Derrell Willis

William Wang wrote:

> Xav...@ma.ultranet.com wrote:
>
> >Its happened to me also when I was first trying out LB2. I don't use
> >it much anymore, but I suspect that I can get it to happen again if I
> >used it. Same setup, rock solid joystick/throttle with no drift.
> >Another thing to mention. It never failed if I was up high, cruising,
> >etc, only when very close to the face of hills, etc.
>
> I also experience the same problem of losing autopilot and hover. I'm
> not sure about this, but since you say it only happens to you only
> when very close to hills and not when high, maybe wind and turbulence
> effects cause the autopilot and hover to disengage? I have both
> settings turned on. Comments, anyone?
>
> --Will

Xav...@ma.ultranet.com

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

(Richard Whitcombe) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have experienced several times with longbow 2 what may or may not be
>a bug. When flying in autopilot mode or even auto hover it
>occasionally disconnects "Autopilot off" message heard etc. This
>usually happens at the most inconvenient moment like close to a hill
>at 20 ft etc and has caused me to lose a few missions. During this
>time i have not touched the joystick (it is just on the table in front
>of me) and it is calibrated properly and doesn't appear to be drifting
>in windows calibrate screen.
>PC is a Pentium-II clocked to 300 MHz with Orchid 3DFX card with a CH
>Flightstick Pro joystick (i am aware of the hat control problem with
>the stick).

Its happened to me also when I was first trying out LB2. I don't use

it much anymore, but I suspect that I can get it to happen again if I
used it. Same setup, rock solid joystick/throttle with no drift.
Another thing to mention. It never failed if I was up high, cruising,
etc, only when very close to the face of hills, etc.

>Has anyone else experienced this at all or is it just me ?

>I have also had a problem sometimes when returning to a FARP after a
>completed mission and i occasionally do not receive the clear to land
>message. If i land anyway (sometimes VERY close to other helos) on
>the debrief it lists my helo as MIA even though pilot is ok. Anyone
>else had this or is my CD jinx'd !?

When returning to the FARP, make sure that you have that waypoint
selected. I have come in to land at various times and had a different
waypoint selected, and wasn't given the clearance to land. I figured
out that if I select the last waypoint, I finally get the clearance,
and everything is ok.

William Wang

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Xav...@ma.ultranet.com wrote:

>Its happened to me also when I was first trying out LB2. I don't use
>it much anymore, but I suspect that I can get it to happen again if I
>used it. Same setup, rock solid joystick/throttle with no drift.
>Another thing to mention. It never failed if I was up high, cruising,
>etc, only when very close to the face of hills, etc.

I also experience the same problem of losing autopilot and hover. I'm

James Wohlever

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:47:11 -0600, Derrell Willis
<Der...@hiwaay.net> wrote:

>> I also experience the same problem of losing autopilot and hover. I'm
>> not sure about this, but since you say it only happens to you only
>> when very close to hills and not when high, maybe wind and turbulence
>> effects cause the autopilot and hover to disengage? I have both
>> settings turned on. Comments, anyone?

Being that some people don't have wind on maybe the program "chokes"
when your flying NOE at 100mph? Or possible the act of being that
close to the ground causes the uplift from the blades (upward force)
to make the autopilot disengage.
Your right though, I too get the autopilot bug when flying NOE at high
speeds for no reason. Made me die a few times. I have noticed it seems
more frequent when you are looking through other views (exterior,
enemy)
Andy..Boomer.. and ideas?

Thanks,
Ghost

Remove VOID from my email to respond

Jon Condra

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

This is probably caused by your DirectX5 joystick setting. Go to control
panel->game controllers->advanced, and uncheck the box labeled, "Poll with
interrupts enabled." That fixed my similar problem.
Jon

kmo...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2016, 5:31:23 AM1/11/16
I'm in a worse situation. I don't even have a joystick. When I first start missions my autopilot is fine. When I stop it to start shooting then start the autopilot again it brings me to 9ft. Of course, turning it off will make me crash. I don't know how to fix it