Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020

RonTheGuy

Jul 28, 2020, 7:19:15 PM7/28/20
On Jul 20, 2020, Juergen Nieveler wrote
(in article<XnsAC009F3776FA...@nieveler.org>):

> So... anyone left here to discuss the latest version of the venerable
> old
> Flight Sim?

Has there been any mention of Microsoft coming out with a Mac version of
their flight sim?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Rin Stowleigh

Aug 14, 2020, 8:56:49 PM8/14/20
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 16:19:13 -0700, RonTheGuy <r...@null.invalid>
wrote:
Heh :) Hi humble Ron, not going to get all platformy on you or
anything, but want to deliver you the honest truth.

With Apple announcing they are going to start basing Macs on
processors that were originally designed for smartphones, the Mac saw
its maximum potential as gaming hardware a few years ago, and even
then it was non-impressive. Apple doesn't want you to game on Macs,
iOS gaming is lucrative for them and Mac gaming is not because they
are not in PC's league there.

Macs were not competitive with Windows PC performance even on Intel
processors.... yes the magazines showed nice benchmarks but they did
not show the throttling that occurs in Macbooks/iMacs etc under
sustained heat (from gaming or other high performance apps), nor did
they reveal that the computer gets incrementally slower for each
minute that you put it under high load. Mac Pros got pretty good
performance for high-load apps if you were willing to spend ten grand
on them.

Microsoft Flight Simulator or any other graphically intensive game is
going to tax your hardware. So you are looking at a situation where
you need a $10k Mac to perform like a $2k PC (not in isolated
benchmarks but over more than a few minutes of play at a time).

Apple does well at building "pretty" computers that sell well... they
are in touch with consumer design preferences. Unfortunately this is
at odds with gaming performance.

It's not to say Microsoft will NEVER create a Mac version of Flight
Sim, but I see them using this as the killer app that draws Mac users
back to PC (and playstation users back to XBox), and the fact that
Apple is moving away from Intel processors makes this all the more
likely.

If you want to game at the high end and get the most out of games like
Microsoft Flight Simulator, you'll need a Windows 10 PC with decent
hardware. Even once the new Xbox is released, there will be thermal
limitations due to limited airflow from a case designed to look good
in the living room. A good performing PC isn't always the prettiest
thing (it can be but doesn't need to be, and most people don't care
when its under a desk or table anyway).

PW

Oct 20, 2020, 10:07:30 PM10/20/20
On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 15:43:30 +0200, Juergen Nieveler
<juergen.nie...@arcor.de> wrote:

>So... anyone left here to discuss the latest version of the venerable
>old
>Flight Sim?

*--

Is there a way to stop it from updating itself? The downloads from
their servers are extremely slow.

I had no idea that I had to download planes to be able to fly them, or
download the tutorials to be able to take them!

What the heck was included in the huge install file that took me weeks
to download? A couple little planes!

-pw