Half Life Bug, NPC's have fallen but they can't get up :>

Troy

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98

Has anyone else seen this?

In the first section of the game, the security guard walks to the
tram says "Hello Mr Freeman" and falls flat on his face Matthew (News Radio)
style. You can still talk to him, but he can't open the tram door.
I reloaded and replayed the intro...yep...same thang, Matthew the
security guard did it all over again.

Needless to say being stuck in the tram ends the game right there,
so, I NOCLIPED'd myself to the hallway where you get to the lab. UGGGG
Whenever you get near an NPC, they give out a "Baraouuoook" sound and hit
the floor like the old lady in a Med-Alert commerical. They can still talk
to you after all that, but they can't open doors for you, which of course
leaves you stuck in that level.

While it's pretty funny to watch (I had a friend over watching the
game who was cracking up the whole time), it pretty much kills the game.

Troy Forrest

Samson Okalow

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
What vid card are you using? I had a similar problem with my Diamond Viper TNT.
The guard comes up to the train but doesn't even get out a word before dropping
dead. If you're using a TNT card, switch to OpenGL mode. I did that, then
switched back to d3d (but d3d has other serious problems). Then the first guard,
at least, doesn't die.

Joe

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Try this fix, it's worked for several people:

"If you create your own autoexec.cfg, joystick.cfg, opengl.cfg or
d3d.cfg,
please make sure you have a carriage return on the last line. Some of
the
problems people have reported (monsters die in one shot, NPCs die
while
walking around) are a direct results of this."

"Troy" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else seen this?

> In the first section of the game, the security guard walks to the
>tram says "Hello Mr Freeman" and falls flat on his face Matthew (News Radio)
>style. You can still talk to him, but he can't open the tram door.
> I reloaded and replayed the intro...yep...same thang, Matthew the
>security guard did it all over again.

> Needless to say being stuck in the tram ends the game right there,
>so, I NOCLIPED'd myself to the hallway where you get to the lab. UGGGG
>Whenever you get near an NPC, they give out a "Baraouuoook" sound and hit
>the floor like the old lady in a Med-Alert commerical. They can still talk
>to you after all that, but they can't open doors for you, which of course
>leaves you stuck in that level.

> While it's pretty funny to watch (I had a friend over watching the
>game who was cracking up the whole time), it pretty much kills the game.

> Troy Forrest

Joe McGinn
Author of Inside LotusScript
http://www.manning.com/McGinn/459.html

Quell

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Excuse my ignorance...but what is a "carriage return"? I am having the same
problem (ie. dead NPC's) and would like to know how to fix this.

>Joe (mcg...@direct.ca) wrote:
>: Try this fix, it's worked for several people:
>:

Troy Forrest

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98

Thanks, I'll try that, I did seem to be trigged by D3D, and I did add in
a line to the d3d.cfg. (I'm using a TNT board)

What I do notice is that the NPC's tend to die right after they finish
a scripted task..usually 5-10 seconds after you first enter a room. Right
after that scripted task the NPC's will jump/reset an inch or two off of
the ground. Maybe whatever causes this clips the NPC's into the floor
causing slight damage and keeps them down.

-Troy
---__o
--_`\<,_
--(_)/ (_)
alms, alms, for the poor and technologically obsolete slacker

Joe (mcg...@direct.ca) wrote:
: Try this fix, it's worked for several people:
:
: "If you create your own autoexec.cfg, joystick.cfg, opengl.cfg or
: d3d.cfg,
: please make sure you have a carriage return on the last line. Some of
: the
: problems people have reported (monsters die in one shot, NPCs die
: while
: walking around) are a direct results of this."
:

:

MB

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Use OpenGL mode.
Direct3D mode is buggy.

Quell

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Here is a fix!! When you create the opengl.cfg file make sure you hit return
a couple of times after the last entry that you created in the .cfg file.
Then save it. Now, after I did this the NPC's no longer die!!!

Joe

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
"Quell" <n...@spam.here> wrote:

>Excuse my ignorance...but what is a "carriage return"? I am having the same
>problem (ie. dead NPC's) and would like to know how to fix this.

The Enter key. Go to the last line of any cfg files you are usiung and
press Enter.

random...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2018, 12:41:47 AM12/31/18
I just made a 20 year old necro post nobody can beat this :)
Message has been deleted

mardutaj...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 9:34:23 AM5/25/19
e🅱ic

mardutaj...@gmail.com

May 26, 2019, 4:29:29 AM5/26/19
epic necropost.

John Geoffrey

Jun 2, 2019, 5:08:08 AM6/2/19
On 26/05/2019 10:29, mardutaj...@gmail.com wrote:
> epic necropost.

eh. at least something shows up once in a while