pc gamer/monkey isle

cheapskate

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island 1&2.
Please post in this group.
Mucho thanks.

Ed

Jun 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/15/97

cheapskate wrote:

I also would like the codes if they're available.Has anyone out there
played
these games? Are they worth the time?
Please send me the codes if you can and I will try these games.Thank
You.

Syed Noman Ahmad

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

In article <33A46F96...@sbt.infi.net>, Ed <er...@sbt.infi.net> wrote:
>cheapskate wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island
>> 1&2.
>> Please post in this group.
>> Mucho thanks.
>
> I also would like the codes if they're available.Has anyone out there
>played
> these games? Are they worth the time?

Yes. You can't find a better adventure right now, or even in the past 3
or 4 years. Excellent gameplay, puzzles, story, graphics and sound track.
I can think of very few adventures that were as good. Quest for Glory 2,
maybe. Gabriel Knight1 definitely.

> Please send me the codes if you can and I will try these games.Thank
>You.

You should try the game in anycase, IMHO.

--
Noman

Joel

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.

cheapskate <po...@poorhouse.net> wrote in article
<33A1F54B...@poorhouse.net>...

les...@wr.com.au

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:35:08 -0400, cheapskate <po...@poorhouse.net>
wrote:

>Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island 1&2.
> Please post in this group.
>Mucho thanks.

I have three copies of the protection wheel. Email me if you want one.

regs.

L.

Gunk-a-loo

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

Joel (joe...@netwiz.net) wrote:
: For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.

It is $20 bucks for 2 games that were made back in the dark ages of
computer gaming. Wouldn't it be a better idea for lucas arts
to give them away, get people hooked and then have them buy the
new one. I was "given" the first one. Loved it. Sure I would
like to buy the new one. To me it is Lucas Arts just trying to
squeeze a few more bucks out of an already inflated industry. Guys
Hack Away!!

Gunkaloo

Karine Villeneuve

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

cheapskate wrote:

> Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island
> 1&2.
> Please post in this group.
> Mucho thanks.

Me too i want the code, post-it.

thanks

Verros

Jared Betnar

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97
to Gunk-a-loo

So, basically what you're saying is because the game is old, you
shouldn't have to pay for it? You're right! And what about those old
videos like Jurassic Park or Speed? Why should we pay money to buy them?
Shouldn't the film company just be giving them out to "get people
hooked" so they'll see the new sequels? And then there's all those
really old movies like Casablanca and Citizen Kane. Why shouldn't they
be given away free as well? They were made in the "dark ages" of film,
weren't they? My god, just because a game is old doesn't mean the
creators don't deserve compensation for their work. I think Lucasarts
deserves all the money they can get for making these great games.

Jared Betnar

Jared Betnar

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

Jared Betnar

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

Joel wrote:

> For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.
>
> cheapskate <po...@poorhouse.net> wrote in article
> <33A1F54B...@poorhouse.net>...
> > Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island 1&2.
> > Please post in this group.
> > Mucho thanks.

In the immortal words of Max:
"Just ignore them, Sam. Maybe they'll go away." :)

Jared Betnar

LouMarion

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

< "Joel" <joe...@netwiz.net> wrote,

< For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.

Actually Joel $20 for two games is a good price and if I wanted to
purchase them I would do so at the bargin bin or through .marketplace.
However, I have paid in advance for the space on that disc and it is
supposed to have demos on it for free. PC Gamer should not be allowed to
use this space I have paid for in order to make marketing dollars for
themselves and to make me pay even more to use the games. It would be
like buying a new computer only to find out when you got it home you had
to pay sony another $20 in order to use the CD-ROM drive. Get the
picture.

Lou Marion
LouM...@aol.com

Chris Wallner

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:53:01 -0400, Karine Villeneuve <ver...@cam.org>
wrote:

>cheapskate wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island
>> 1&2.
>> Please post in this group.
>> Mucho thanks.
>

> Me too i want the code, post-it.
>
>thanks

OK, here it is: KISSMYASS

Get that OK?

Ed

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97
to LouMarion

LouMarion wrote:

A most excellant point Lou.
As an act of protest I'm not buying next month's issue of pc gamer.
Who's side is pc gamer on? The multi-billon dollar company or the
average
gamer?

Jared Betnar

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97
to LouMarion

LouMarion wrote:

> < "Joel" <joe...@netwiz.net> wrote,
>
> < For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.
>
> Actually Joel $20 for two games is a good price and if I wanted to
> purchase them I would do so at the bargin bin or through .marketplace.
> However, I have paid in advance for the space on that disc and it is
> supposed to have demos on it for free. PC Gamer should not be allowed to
> use this space I have paid for in order to make marketing dollars for
> themselves and to make me pay even more to use the games. It would be
> like buying a new computer only to find out when you got it home you had
> to pay sony another $20 in order to use the CD-ROM drive. Get the
> picture.
>
> Lou Marion
> LouM...@aol.com

There are three problems with your reasoning, Lou:

1. The two games combined only take up 14 megs on the CD.
2. PC Gamer does not get the $20, Lucasarts and Release Software do.
3. Some people (like me) do not have a software store nearby, much less
a "bargain bin". I've waited a long time to play Monkey 2, and thanks to
the new CD, I finally have the chance.

One think I don't understand in your post is that you say that PC Gamer
are making you "pay even more just to pay the games". Also, that
sentence about "buying a new computer and having to pay another $20 to
use the CD drive" doesn't make any sense either. You DO know that you
can still play all the other demos on the CD without paying the $20 for
Monkey 1&2, don't you?

Jared Betnar

Keef

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

wrote:

>Does anybody have the code to the pc gamer disk with monkey island 1&2.
> Please post in this group.
>Mucho thanks.

Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
be damned if I pay twice.

--keef

Heljar Grimstad

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Which edition of PcGamer was this available? I subscribe to PcGamer and
I've received edition 44 & 45 but none of them had any Monkey Island
on them.

--
Heljar Grimstad (hegr...@sn.no)
You're all different!

sacerdos

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Heljar Grimstad wrote:

> Which edition of PcGamer was this available? I subscribe to PcGamer and
> I've received edition 44 & 45 but none of them had any Monkey Island
> on them.

FYI, it's Volume 4, Number 7, July 1997. Incredible this Curse of Monkey
Island!

Syed Noman Ahmad

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

In article <Q6AqzkIL...@sn.no>, Heljar Grimstad <hegr...@sn.no> wrote:
>Which edition of PcGamer was this available? I subscribe to PcGamer and
>I've received edition 44 & 45 but none of them had any Monkey Island
>on them.

It's in the July issue of PC Gamer USA.

--
Noman

Gary Whitta

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Ed wrote:
> As an act of protest I'm not buying next month's issue of pc gamer.
> Who's side is pc gamer on? The multi-billon dollar company or the
> average
> gamer?

I'm really trying to wean myself off posting to Usenet since it takes up
way too much of my time and almost everything I say seems to get
misinterpreted, but I would like to reply on this issue, so here goes...

In direct answer to your question, we're on the side of the average
gamer, not the multi-billion dollar company. Here's why Monkey Island
1&2 are encrypted in a pay-form on our July disc:

Both of these games are classics but are now extremely difficult to
obtain through regular retail or mail-order channels. When we secured
the world exclusive to the Curse Of Monkey Island playable demo (which,
like 99.99% of our disc, is free content), the idea of adding the
previous games in this series as a "tie-in" with the demo and story
seemed like a great idea. But here's the bottom line: you simply can't
expect LucasArts to just give these games away for free. Why should
they? Both these games are still good enough by today's standards to be
worth something. I think that $20 for both games is a pretty good deal
(see if you can find them for cheaper elsewhere).

Some people seem to be concerned that a minute portion of our July disc
has to be paid for if you want to play it. If you object to that pay
content, skip it - it takes up a minute portion of the disc (less, in
fact, than the area often left blank or unfilled on a lot of CD-ROMs)
and there's still hundreds of megabytes of FREE game demos and software
for you to enjoy. The Monkey Island offer does not herald the dawn of a
disturbing new era of pay content on discs - we may or may not continue
to make these offers for classic games in conjunction with software
companies, but such offers will never become a major part of our CD's
content. We realize that the strength of our disc is that we give you,
the reader, lots of really cool software for free, and that if we
started asking you to pay for lots of it, you'd probably stop buying it.

People on Usenet seem divided about the Monkey Island disc - some people
love it, some people think that we've "sold out" to "the man". I can
assure you that the latter is not the case, and that the reaction, both
positive and negative, on this group, has been taken into consideration.

Gary Whitta
Editor-in-Chief
PC Gamer

LouMarion

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

>LouMarion wrote:
>
> < "Joel" <joe...@netwiz.net> wrote,
>
> < For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.
>
> Actually Joel $20 for two games is a good price and if I wanted to
> purchase them I would do so at the bargin bin or through .marketplace.
> However, I have paid in advance for the space on that disc and it is
> supposed to have demos on it for free. PC Gamer should not be allowed
> use this space I have paid for in order to make marketing dollars for
> themselves and to make me pay even more to use the games. It would be
> like buying a new computer only to find out when you got it home you had
> to pay sony another $20 in order to use the CD-ROM drive. Get the
> picture.
>
> Lou Marion
> LouM...@aol.com

<< There are three problems with your reasoning, Lou:

Actually I fail to see any problems other than you are not understanding
the reasoning behind my statements.

<< 1. The two games combined only take up 14 megs on the CD.

Actually the amount of space does not matter. I paid for it and it
supposed to have free demos there not "pay per view games." Let me quote
from a PC Gamer ad for you: "A disc with every issue packed with megabyte
after megabyte of game demos." Seems to me if I subscribe and pay in
advance I have paid for that space and they need to fill it to the brim
with free game demos.

<< 2. PC Gamer does not get the $20, Lucasarts and Release Software do.

I never said the $20 went to PC Gamer. What I said was: " PC Gamer

should not be allowed to use this space I have paid for in order to make
marketing dollars for

themselves..." You can be sure that Lucas Arts paid a price for the space
on the disc and in the magazine. (No one rides for free)

<< 3. Some people (like me) do not have a software store nearby, much less
<< a "bargain bin". I've waited a long time to play Monkey 2, and thanks
<< the new CD, I finally have the chance.

Actually this is a moot point and has nothing whatsoever to do with my
reasoning. I also don't have a software store nearby. Most of my software
purchases are from comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace. I never buy a game
full price retail its just not worth it.

<< One think I don't understand in your post is that you say that PC Gamer
<< are making you "pay even more just to pay the games".

If I want to play what should be for free I am going to pay more. How
much more simple can it be.

<< Also, that sentence about "buying a new computer and having to pay
another << $20 to use the CD drive" doesn't make any sense either.

Let me see if I can clarify this for you. I buy a computer on the
salespersons assurance that I am getting a complete usable system. I then
get home only to find out in the small print that I can only use the
CD-ROM drive I had already paid for if I pay Sony another $20. Seems like
a few people may not like this. I laid out up front money to PC Gamer
expecting to receive a CD full of free game demos based on their sales
pitch. After I get into the subscription I find out the space I paid for
not only does not have free game demos but "pay per view games." Get the
similarity here.

<< You DO know that you can still play all the other demos on the CD
without << paying the $20 for Monkey 1&2, don't you?

Of course I do Jared. And hopefully some one will crack the code and I
will play Monkey 1 & 2 for free as well. And still yet I may even pay the
$20 and play them "legally". But in any of the above circumstances my
points are still valid. PC Gamer used my space to line their pockets and
tried to get me to spend $20.

<< Jared Betnar

Lou Marion
LouM...@aol.com

James and Staci Avison

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

LouMarion wrote:

> < "Joel" <joe...@netwiz.net> wrote,
>
> < For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.
>
> Actually Joel $20 for two games is a good price and if I wanted
> purchase them I would do so at the bargin bin or through .marketplace.
>
> However, I have paid in advance for the space on that disc and it is
> supposed to have demos on it for free. PC Gamer should not be allowed
> use this space I have paid for in order to make marketing dollars for
> themselves and to make me pay even more to use the games. It would be
>
> like buying a new computer only to find out when you got it home you
> had
> to pay sony another $20 in order to use the CD-ROM drive. Get the
> picture.

Actually, I don't get the picture.

Each month, you pay extra for a disc which contains demos. Each month,
PC Gamer puts a bunch of demos on that disc. Also, they place other
items, like patches, add-ons, and AOL software. These programs are all
free, and all you are paying for is the ability to access those
programs. This saves you time downloading from the internet, or saves
you from receiving these programs some other way. Monkey Island I and
II are not free. They have not been declared as free by the publisher,
Lucasarts. Lucasarts is receiving the money, not PC Gamer.
Furthermore, Monkey Island I and II are full-fledged games, not demos.
PC Gamer has never promised that the buyer of the magazine and disc will
receive free games every month. They provide demos, which allow you to
decide where your gaming dollars will go.
Also, your argument about space has no merit. First, PC gamer does not
have to fill its disc to capacity, and in fact I doubt that it ever has,
or if it even could. Thus, you are not really buying space. Second,
the actual space of the two games is minuscule compared to the total
space taken by the other demos. Space is not really an issue.
As to your CD-ROM analogy: this is not the same situation. As I have
said, you have paid for the right to access free programs. You simply
have not purchased the Monkey Island games. When you buy a computer,
you have purchased all the parts. With your logic, you also should be
complaining that PC Gamer "wastes space" by putting in AOL software on
their discs each month. "Why did they waste space with this AOL
software? I'm gonna have to pay for monthly usage! It's not free!
It's like bringing home a computer which has intenret software on it,
but I have to pay some comany $20/month in order to use it!"

Hey, I also wish that the games were free, but they are not. I'm sure
that if they ever were re-released on the software market, they would
cost at least $20, if not more. Trust me, they are both excellent
games, and I am anxiously awaiting the sequel.

James

DON3k

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

> Of course I do Jared. And hopefully some one will crack the code and I
> will play Monkey 1 & 2 for free as well. And still yet I may even pay
the
> $20 and play them "legally". But in any of the above circumstances my
> points are still valid. PC Gamer used my space to line their pockets and
> tried to get me to spend $20. ^^^^^^^^
>
> << Jared Betnar

They used YOUR space... I'm not going to argue the point that on most of
the CD's there's more than 14 megs of unused space.. I guess from now on
you should argue that they are ripping you off because you paid for a CD,
which can hold 650 megs, and it only came with 300, or whatever... Did you
pay them.. Then NO, you are not helping to "Line their Pockets".. Besides,
even if you did, how much do you think PC Gamer got? They are providing you
with additional software that is equivalent to a Discount Bin game
release... I'm sure that was not an effortless task for them....

You're just whacked, man...

DON3k

Matt Schikore

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

>Actually the amount of space does not matter. I paid for it and it
>supposed to have free demos there not "pay per view games." Let me quote
>from a PC Gamer ad for you: "A disc with every issue packed with megabyte
>after megabyte of game demos." Seems to me if I subscribe and pay in
>advance I have paid for that space and they need to fill it to the brim
>with free game demos.

And the disc DOES have megabyte after megabyte of game demos. And where
do you get the "pay per view" from? You don't have to pay $20 each time
you play. You pay once and play as many times as you want.

>Let me see if I can clarify this for you. I buy a computer on the
>salespersons assurance that I am getting a complete usable system. I then
>get home only to find out in the small print that I can only use the
>CD-ROM drive I had already paid for if I pay Sony another $20. Seems like
>a few people may not like this. I laid out up front money to PC Gamer
>expecting to receive a CD full of free game demos based on their sales
>pitch. After I get into the subscription I find out the space I paid for
>not only does not have free game demos but "pay per view games." Get the
>similarity here.

Did PC Gamer say that they would give you free commercial games on the CD?
I don't think so. A better analogy would be buying a computer that, although
you didn't know it in advance, had Microsoft Office installed encrypted, and
you would have to pay to decrypt it. They're not trying to make you pay
to play demos, they're trying to get you to pay for full commercial games.

>Of course I do Jared. And hopefully some one will crack the code and I
>will play Monkey 1 & 2 for free as well. And still yet I may even pay the
>$20 and play them "legally". But in any of the above circumstances my
>points are still valid. PC Gamer used my space to line their pockets and
>tried to get me to spend $20.

Someone from PC Gamer said that there was less free space on the CD than
on other CDs they've produced. So they didn't take away any of "your"
space, they just put something many people might find useful on the extra
space. Would you have been happier if they had just left the space
completely blank?

-Matt Schikore
schi...@ccad.uiowa.edu

Critical Bill

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:

>Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
>frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
>desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
>on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
>did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
>be damned if I pay twice.

Are you serious? This aspect of code "pay per use" MI games was
brought up many times to both Dan Bennett and Gary Whitta.

Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?

What this means:

1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
purchased), you're screwed.

Any way you look at it, PC Lamer just screwed you big time!

-
"Game Drek gives me all the Gaming Grossness (tm) I can handle" - Critical Bill

http://www.pathcom.com/~kenl/gamedrek.htm

critic...@super.zippo.com

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Critical Bill <gd...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<33c374fc...@snews.zippo.com>...

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:
>
> >Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
> >frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
> >desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> >on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
> >did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
> >be damned if I pay twice.
>
> Are you serious? This aspect of code "pay per use" MI games was
> brought up many times to both Dan Bennett and Gary Whitta.
>
> Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
>
> What this means:
>
> 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
> 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
> 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
> 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
> purchased), you're screwed.
>
> Any way you look at it, PC Lamer just screwed you big time!

I'll give PC Gamer and LA some leeway provided they make it clear BEFORE
buying the game that it's a one-time only install. If they don't make this
clear, it's pretty shabby on their part.

Kirk Macdonald

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Critical Bill wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:
>
> >Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
> >frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
> >desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> >on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
> >did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
> >be damned if I pay twice.

Have you asked Lucas Arts and PC Gamer about this situation?

> Are you serious? This aspect of code "pay per use" MI games was
> brought up many times to both Dan Bennett and Gary Whitta.
>
> Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
>
> What this means:
>
> 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
> 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
> 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
> 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
> purchased), you're screwed.
>
> Any way you look at it, PC Lamer just screwed you big time!

The way I look at it is: maybe you should take it up with Lucas Arts. PC
Gamer didn't release the game as a pay per use and set up the release
code format. They just provided space on the disc.

Guess Lucas Arts doesn't fit into your conspiracy psychosis, so you
can't blame it on them.

> -
> "Game Drek gives me all the Gaming Grossness (tm) I can handle" - Critical Bill

"Critical Bill gives me all the skewed statistics I can handle!"
--
Kirk Macdonald

"Age does not bring wisdom, ...but it does give perspective."
-- Robert Heinlein

These are my own opinions and do not reflect those of The Boeing Co.

Jared Betnar

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Critical Bill wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:
>
> >Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
> >frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
> >desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> >on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
> >did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
> >be damned if I pay twice.
>
> Are you serious? This aspect of code "pay per use" MI games was
> brought up many times to both Dan Bennett and Gary Whitta.
>
> Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
>
> What this means:
>
> 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
> 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
> 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
> 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
> purchased), you're screwed.
>
> Any way you look at it, PC Lamer just screwed you big time!
>
> -
> "Game Drek gives me all the Gaming Grossness (tm) I can handle" - Critical Bill
>
> http://www.pathcom.com/~kenl/gamedrek.htm
>
> critic...@super.zippo.com

Actually, you can reinstall the game if it is accidentally deleted, but
you can't install it to another computer. That makes 1. and 2. moot. And
number 4 would be stupid; think of how easy the game could be pirated if
you could just give out the code to everyone. And if you want to move it
to another computer, you can always put the games on disks...

Jared Betnar

Jared Betnar

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

> Critical Bill <gd...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
> <33c374fc...@snews.zippo.com>...
> > On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:
> >
> > >Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
> > >frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
> > >desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> > >on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
> > >did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
> > >be damned if I pay twice.
> >
> > Are you serious? This aspect of code "pay per use" MI games was
> > brought up many times to both Dan Bennett and Gary Whitta.
> >
> > Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
> >
> > What this means:
> >
> > 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
> > 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
> > 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
> > 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
> > purchased), you're screwed.
> >
> > Any way you look at it, PC Lamer just screwed you big time!
>
> I'll give PC Gamer and LA some leeway provided they make it clear BEFORE
> buying the game that it's a one-time only install. If they don't make this
> clear, it's pretty shabby on their part.

No, you can install it as many times as you want to the hard disk you
originally installed it to. Just not to anything else.

Jared Betnar

Bill Schneider

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

I think $20 is more than fair for these games, and some peoples logic is
missplaced IMHO

> > Lou Marion
> > LouM...@aol.com

> Actually the amount of space does not matter. I paid for it and it
> supposed to have free demos there not "pay per view games." Let me quote
> from a PC Gamer ad for you: "A disc with every issue packed with
megabyte
> after megabyte of game demos." Seems to me if I subscribe and pay in
> advance I have paid for that space and they need to fill it to the brim
> with free game demos.

The disc is packed with free demos, a demo is not the same as a complete
game. I personally have more than enough demo copies of Blood, I76, etc. .
. .

> << 2. PC Gamer does not get the $20, Lucasarts and Release Software do.
>

> I never said the $20 went to PC Gamer. What I said was: " PC Gamer

> should not be allowed to use this space I have paid for in order to make
> marketing dollars for

> themselves..." You can be sure that Lucas Arts paid a price for the
space
> on the disc and in the magazine. (No one rides for free)

Simple here; if you do not want to play the games, no one is forcing you to
pay for the games. I do not particularly like Quake or Doom. Should I be
pissed they "waste" space on their CD with add-on levels? maybe by this
reasoning I should. The magazine costs $2.50 by subscription, a great deal,
even with 14 MBs wasted on pay per play games.

".

> If I want to play what should be for free I am going to pay more. How
> much more simple can it be.

Found this quote interesting. By whose criteria "should" these games be
free? Not to mention the sentence makes no sense.

> Let me see if I can clarify this for you. I buy a computer on the
> salespersons assurance that I am getting a complete usable system. I
then
> get home only to find out in the small print that I can only use the
> CD-ROM drive I had already paid for if I pay Sony another $20. Seems
like
> a few people may not like this. I laid out up front money to PC Gamer
> expecting to receive a CD full of free game demos based on their sales
> pitch. After I get into the subscription I find out the space I paid for
> not only does not have free game demos but "pay per view games." Get the
> similarity here.

A very weak analogy. Says right on the cover that the games are encrypted.
You should have known ahead of time that they were not free. Said so in the
issue before as well. Absolutely no false advertising here.

> Of course I do Jared. And hopefully some one will crack the code and I
> will play Monkey 1 & 2 for free as well. And still yet I may even pay
the
> $20 and play them "legally". But in any of the above circumstances my
> points are still valid. PC Gamer used my space to line their pockets and
> tried to get me to spend $20.

So you advocate stealing? I do not think anyone is "Lining" their pockets
by this deal. These are two of the best adventure games ever made, and well
worth the money to play. You people are being very childish. Similar thing
going on with Gemstone on AOL now. People feel they are entitled to free
entertainment. And we are not. These games are privileges, not rights. Grow
up.

Clark S. Smith

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

I took the plunge and paid the $20.

Monkey Island 1: Sound was a disaster. There is no sound configuration
program. So, I attempted to edit the .INI file several times. No help. I
then check the Lucas Arts web site. There is a patch for MI1 which
corrects sound for 486 machines and faster. I assume that the CD-ROM does
not include these new updates, so I download the patch.

Now, I cannot access the game without Copy Protection codes, something
which is not provided on the PC Gamer CD-ROM.

I've sent my situation into LucasArts and hope for a reply. You would hope
that this re-release of these games might have been checked to ensure they
work with today's faster systems.

Anyone else with this problem??

Don't mind paying $20 for excellent shovelware. Just would be nice it is
worked.

Let you know if I get it fixed,
Clark

Syed Noman Ahmad

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

In article <01bc7e67$82aae3a0$dd0b...@crc3.concentric.net>,

Clark S. Smith <cla...@concentric.net> wrote:
>I took the plunge and paid the $20.
>
>Monkey Island 1: Sound was a disaster. There is no sound configuration
>program. So, I attempted to edit the .INI file several times. No help. I
>then check the Lucas Arts web site. There is a patch for MI1 which
>corrects sound for 486 machines and faster. I assume that the CD-ROM does
>not include these new updates, so I download the patch.

I think you still can install the original game from PC Gamer CD.
(without any patches).

Try these commands for sound ,

monkey a (or monkey1 a) for adlib
s for sound blaster
i for internal speaker (you don't want to do this, right?)
r for roland MT/32

Now if you can't run the game in soundblaster mode, try it in adlib.
The game doesn't have digital sound effects, so adlib and soundblaster
versions sound exactly the same.

You can type monkey /? for other command line options.
--
Noman

Jeff Leyser

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

In article <33c374fc...@snews.zippo.com>, gd...@hotmail.com says...

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:
>
> >Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
> >frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
> >desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> >on business trips, and the same code does not work!

[snip]

> Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
>
> What this means:
>
> 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
> 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
> 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
> 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
> purchased), you're screwed.

Bill, do you have the slightest idea how computers work? Exactly how
would all of these evil things actually be implemented? A one-time code
(such as you propose) would need to somehow magically write the use of
that code onto the CD-ROM. Unless the UN folks in their black
helicopters changed all the CD drives in the world to CD-r when we
weren't looking, it's not gonna happen.

The code is node-locked. It is a license to install and use the game on
a particular machine, and that machine only. If you need to re-install
the machine on the same computer, no problem. If you want to put it on a
second computer, you will need to buy it again. And before you go
running off at the mouth, complaining how awful that is, go read the
license for *any* of the programs you currently own. You'll find that is
single-computer use is exactly what you paid for. Only difference is,
this time it is in enforced.

True, this does mean moving the software from machine A to machine B, or
selling the game, would be problematic. But lets be realistic -- the
number of users who want to do that is a pretty small percentage of the
overall user-base. If LucasArts (or Release Software, the guys who
actual handle all the code stuff), are good folks, they will give you a
(cheap/free) way to move/sell the license.

BTW, no, I don't have any inside information. I just actually ran the
install program, paid attention, and used my brain. You should try that
last one some time, Bill,.

Jeff Leyser je...@null.net
You live, you learn. You love, you learn. You cry, you learn.
You lose, you learn. You bleed, you learn. You scream, you learn.

Critical Bill

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 17:29:25 -0700, je...@null.net (Jeff Leyser)
wrote:

>> Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
>>
>> What this means:
>>
>> 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
>> 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
>> 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
>> 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
>> purchased), you're screwed.
>
>Bill, do you have the slightest idea how computers work? Exactly how
>would all of these evil things actually be implemented? A one-time code
>(such as you propose) would need to somehow magically write the use of
>that code onto the CD-ROM.

My theory was that the code had a date stamp. thereby allowing you to
only install it on the day you purchased the code. After looking at
the posts here, I see that it is "machine specific" and cannot be
transferred to another PC.

>The code is node-locked. It is a license to install and use the game on
>a particular machine, and that machine only. If you need to re-install
>the machine on the same computer, no problem. If you want to put it on a
>second computer, you will need to buy it again. And before you go
>running off at the mouth, complaining how awful that is, go read the
>license for *any* of the programs you currently own. You'll find that is
>single-computer use is exactly what you paid for. Only difference is,
>this time it is in enforced.

I suggest you go read the license agreement. No where in any of mine
does it say "installable on only one PC for life". The "single-user"
agreement is only enforceable if two installed copies are running at
the same time. The "concurrent" running of programs is illegal.

If I installed a program at home and at work (which I legally have),
then I may only use one of them at any given time.

>True, this does mean moving the software from machine A to machine B, or
>selling the game, would be problematic. But lets be realistic -- the
>number of users who want to do that is a pretty small percentage of the
>overall user-base.

I don't know about that. People are constantly buying new things for
their PCs, with HDs being a prime consideration. If a person got a new
HD, would the install work properly?

BTW, many people could install the game and ARJ ir into disk-sized
portions to install anywhere. I'm not worried about those type of
users.

> If LucasArts (or Release Software, the guys who
>actual handle all the code stuff), are good folks, they will give you a
>(cheap/free) way to move/sell the license.

I'm going to ask them and see what their answer is. What would you say
if they told me to buy another license/code?

>BTW, no, I don't have any inside information. I just actually ran the
>install program, paid attention, and used my brain. You should try that
>last one some time, Bill,.

So tell me, how do I use the same code for my lap-top (used during the
day) and my home PC (used at night) as is my right under any other
software license agreement?

Prowler

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

je...@null.net (Jeff Leyser) wrote:

>> What this means:
>>
>> 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
>> 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
>> 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
>> 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
>> purchased), you're screwed.

>Bill, do you have the slightest idea how computers work?

Another good question is do YOU have the slightest idea how stupid
that above statement is. Even those with good amounts of computer
knowledge are not automatically farmiliar with the schemes and tricks
used to generate codes and such on computers from a fixed source.

> Exactly how
>would all of these evil things actually be implemented? A one-time code
>(such as you propose) would need to somehow magically write the use of

>that code onto the CD-ROM. Unless the UN folks in their black
>helicopters changed all the CD drives in the world to CD-r when we
>weren't looking, it's not gonna happen.

I think the point is that the restrictions placed on the end user are
beyond what most reasonable people would find tolerable as a matter of
general practice, and as such, deems being pointed out.

>The code is node-locked. It is a license to install and use the game on
>a particular machine, and that machine only. If you need to re-install
>the machine on the same computer, no problem. If you want to put it on a
>second computer, you will need to buy it again. And before you go
>running off at the mouth, complaining how awful that is, go read the
>license for *any* of the programs you currently own. You'll find that is
>single-computer use is exactly what you paid for. Only difference is,
>this time it is in enforced.

If you read a little more carefully you will see it is a SINGLE
installation AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT....not once and that is it. The
ideea is that you are allowed to have the code installed on only one
machine AT A TIME. While this may not in fact be what was being tried
here, the spirit of a software licence was still being upheld, as I
doubt the user would use the program on his laptop and regular
computer at the same time, and even if he did, no software vendor in
thier right mind would say this was a big problem.

>True, this does mean moving the software from machine A to machine B, or
>selling the game, would be problematic. But lets be realistic -- the
>number of users who want to do that is a pretty small percentage of the
>overall user-base.

To use a bit of your own logic...Do you have any idea how the REAL
WORLD works?

Hard drives crash, people upgrade, and yes, some people delete games
and reinstall as needed for the storage space savings. All of these
VERY COMMON real world happenings leave you screwed if you get a one
time install code. It is an imperfect world, and a one time install
is crap no matter how you slice it.

***
mbaldi wants no spam at ix dot netcom dot com

Novalogic is attemting to make legal precedence buying the rights
to the F-22 Raptor, and becoming the sole owners of the right
to make any product bearing its NAME, PICTURES, RESEMBLANCE,
and/or PUBLICLY RELEASED DATA. Looks like Novalogic can't handle
the heat of competition, and thinks that if they can't make quality producs that sell on their merits,
they will make sure no one else can.

for more info check out HTTP://www..imagicgames.com/wwwboard.dir/wwwboard-f22-forum.html

Send all coments to COMM...@NOVALOGIC.COM

Tracy Evans

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Keef wrote:

> I *did* buy the game, installed it on my
> desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
> did that.

I am interested in how this copy protection functions as I know of no
way that a numeric code would allow installation from a CD only once.
Did LucasArts give you a number or send you a program?

Tracy

P.S. I am not asking for the number or trying to "crack" the disc, I am
just curious on how the protection system works.

Thai Ton

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

In article <33c374fc...@snews.zippo.com>, gd...@hotmail.com says...

>On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:

Well, this has probably been debated many times before. True, software
piracy is a serious issue. But what we've got here are people who are not
going to profit from making second copies or handing out a copy to a friend.
How many people record a tv show or movie? What is the purpose of a
video recorder?

It's a choice that the software company has to make. If they are afraid of
piracy, then it's their perogative. But let me tell you, there are a number
of games with which I have been given a copy and which lead me to purchase
either that particular game or its sequel. My future business was based on
having a chance to play these games.

1. Civilization. I was in school and totaly out of the computer gaming for
quite some time until a friend dropped me a copy. After endless nights of
play, I decided to BUY my own copy for the manual. I would never have bought
Civilization at that time or price if I did not play it first. And onced
hooked on Civ, I purchased Civ II and the scenario pack.

2, Bard's Tale. My next-door neighbor at my dorm gave me a copy of bard's
tale and again after endless nights my gave EA (I think its them) my future
business. In this case I purchased both Bard's Tale II and III at full
price the minute it came off the shelf. Would I have purchased them if I had
never received a copy of Bard's Tale I.

My point is that true piracy are those out to profit from illegal sales.
Those who make second copies or tells their friends of a game and gives them
a copy to try out may actually benefit the software company.

--
* Do not send advertising material to this address. I don't have any money. *

Cyr...@fangz.com

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:16:58 -0400, Ed <er...@sbt.infi.net> wrote:

>LouMarion wrote:
>
>> < "Joel" <joe...@netwiz.net> wrote,
>>
>> < For GOD sakes, it's $20 bucks for 2 games. You guys are slime.
>>
>> Actually Joel $20 for two games is a good price and if I wanted
>> purchase them I would do so at the bargin bin or through .marketplace.
>>
>> However, I have paid in advance for the space on that disc and it is

>> supposed to have demos on it for free. PC Gamer should not be allowed

>> use this space I have paid for in order to make marketing dollars for

>> themselves and to make me pay even more to use the games. It would be

Actually I see this whole thing as quite foolish on PC and Lucas's
part.. I have seen Crack patches on newsgroups as of June 20

(seems kind of foolish to put all that out there with just a key
encryption to protect it..) oh well

Carl Muckenhoupt

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Jeff Leyser wrote:

> The code is node-locked. It is a license to install and use the game on
> a particular machine, and that machine only. If you need to re-install
> the machine on the same computer, no problem. If you want to put it on a
> second computer, you will need to buy it again. And before you go
> running off at the mouth, complaining how awful that is, go read the
> license for *any* of the programs you currently own. You'll find that is
> single-computer use is exactly what you paid for. Only difference is,
> this time it is in enforced.

Most software licenses I've read allow you to install it on one computer
*at a time*. They often go so far as to specifically permit transferring
the license to another person, on the condition that you do not keep a
copy of the software. This license allows you to install it on one
computer *ever*. Even unenforced, that's a big difference.

> True, this does mean moving the software from machine A to machine B, or
> selling the game, would be problematic. But lets be realistic -- the
> number of users who want to do that is a pretty small percentage of the
> overall user-base.

Small? It includes anyone who ever intends to upgrade their machine, I'd
think. Surely that's a substantial percentge.

--
Carl Muckenhoupt ca...@earthweb.com
EarthWeb http://www.earthweb.com/

LouMarion

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Bill Schneider" <bsch...@esinet.net> Wrote:

<< I think $20 is more than fair for these games, and some peoples logic
is
<< missplaced IMHO

Actually I agree with you completely they are worth $10 each and if I
wanted them I would buy them. Check c.s.i.p.g.marketplace thats where I
buy 75% of my games. IMHO they did not belong on the disc and thats all I
wanted to say. I would much rather have a free copy of Ultima IV or
Wizardy Six. It appears that most other companies are putting out discs
with free games along with the demos and PC Gamers encrypted Monkey 1 and
2 just gives the appearance of not being gamer friendly.

> Lou Marion
> LouM...@aol.com
>
> Actually the amount of space does not matter. I paid for it and it
> supposed to have free demos there not "pay per view games." Let me
quote
> from a PC Gamer ad for you: "A disc with every issue packed with
megabyte
> after megabyte of game demos." Seems to me if I subscribe and pay in
> advance I have paid for that space and they need to fill it to the brim
> with free game demos.

<< The disc is packed with free demos, a demo is not the same as a
complete
<< game. I personally have more than enough demo copies of Blood, I76,
etc...

Yes, the disc is still packed with demos even with the encrypted games,
but encrypted games are not free demos.

> << 2. PC Gamer does not get the $20, Lucasarts and Release Software do.
>

> I never said the $20 went to PC Gamer. What I said was: " PC Gamer

> should not be allowed to use this space I have paid for in order to make

> marketing dollars for themselves..." You can be sure that Lucas Arts

paid a
> price for the space on the disc and in the magazine. (No one rides for
free)

<< Simple here; if you do not want to play the games, no one is forcing
you to
<< pay for the games. I do not particularly like Quake or Doom. Should I
be
<< pissed they "waste" space on their CD with add-on levels? maybe by
this
<< reasoning I should. The magazine costs $2.50 by subscription, a great
deal,
<< even with 14 MBs wasted on pay per play games.

This really isn't the issue. Of course no one is forcing me to pay for
the games. My point is that they do not belong on the disc not that I
have to pay for them. I personnally own Doom and play it now and again
but have never gotten caught up in the first person shooter craze. So I
would say were on the same level here but the add-ons were all free.

> If I want to play what should be for free I am going to pay more. How
> much more simple can it be.

<< Found this quote interesting. By whose criteria "should" these games
be
<< free? Not to mention the sentence makes no sense.

Not that the games should be free but whats on the disc should be.

> Let me see if I can clarify this for you. I buy a computer on the
> salespersons assurance that I am getting a complete usable system. I
then
> get home only to find out in the small print that I can only use the
> CD-ROM drive I had already paid for if I pay Sony another $20. Seems
like
> a few people may not like this. I laid out up front money to PC Gamer
> expecting to receive a CD full of free game demos based on their sales
> pitch. After I get into the subscription I find out the space I paid
for
> not only does not have free game demos but "pay per view games." Get
the
> similarity here.

<< A very weak analogy. Says right on the cover that the games are
encrypted.
<< You should have known ahead of time that they were not free. Said so
in the
<< issue before as well. Absolutely no false advertising here.

Actually not so weak when you take into account that I have been a
subscriber to the magazine since before it was PC Gamer (Game Players PC
Entertainment). I have come to expect a disc full of free stuff for years
and was surprised to find these encrypted games on my disc. Maybe a
better analogy would be: Your wife makes you supper every night for
years. You come home one day to find supper on the table. All is going
well untill she says tonight you have to pay for the desert. Now you
could go without the desert and it probably wouldn't kill you either, but
why should you give up the best part of the meal or have to pay for it.

> Of course I do Jared. And hopefully some one will crack the code and I
> will play Monkey 1 & 2 for free as well. And still yet I may even pay
the
> $20 and play them "legally". But in any of the above circumstances my
> points are still valid. PC Gamer used my space to line their pockets
and
> tried to get me to spend $20.

<< So you advocate stealing?

Absolutely not. I do not have a piece of software that I haven't paid
for. And I don't go around stealing things. However, IMHO whats on that
disc should be free and I consider it bought and paid for by my
subscription. If a crack becomes available in the near future I will use
it and have no second thoughts about it. If one does not I will probably
send in the money or buy them from the above mentioned group.

<< I do not think anyone is "Lining" their pockets by this deal. These

are two of << best adventure games ever made, and well worth the money to

play. You << people are being very childish. Similar thing going on with
Gemstone on AOL << now. People feel they are entitled to free
entertainment. And we are not. << These games are privileges, not rights.
Grow up.

I do believe someone is making money and it isn't me. They may very well
be two of the best but there have been many other of the best given away
for free so that point just does not hold water. I have no idea what is
going on with Gemstone sorry. I am entitled to the entertainment I pay
for and I paid up front for the PC Gamer disc. At the age of 33
supporting a wife and five kids I would say I have already grown up.

Sorry to those other posts I have not had the time to respond to hope you
can find a reply in my responses here. Life keeps me busy and to respond
to each and every post would be a complete waste of my time. I don't know
how some of you get anything done by the amount of postings I see here.

Later.

Lou

Lou Marion
LouM...@aol.com

Romulus Gintautas

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Jared Betnar wrote:

> Critical Bill wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:45:18 GMT, Ke...@monkeyis.com (Keef) wrote:
> >
> > >Well, it's not that painful to just buy the game. I must say I'm
> > >frustrated though because I *did* buy the game, installed it on my

> > >desktop, and then decided to also install it on my laptop which I take
> > >on business trips, and the same code does not work! Not sure how they
> > >did that. <grin> I didn't mind paying once for the programs but I'll
> > >be damned if I pay twice.
> >
> > Are you serious? This aspect of code "pay per use" MI games was
> > brought up many times to both Dan Bennett and Gary Whitta.
> >
> > Why did they not tell us about this before some people got sucked in?
> >
> > What this means:
> >
> > 1) If you inadvertently delete the game, you're screwed.
> > 2) If you have a HD crash, you're screwed.
> > 3) If you buy a new computer, you're screwed.
> > 4) If you want to sell/trade the code (as you would a game you
> > purchased), you're screwed.
> >
> > Any way you look at it, PC Lamer just screwed you big time!
> >
> > -
> > "Game Drek gives me all the Gaming Grossness (tm) I can handle" - Critical Bill
> >
> > http://www.pathcom.com/~kenl/gamedrek.htm
> >
> > critic...@super.zippo.com
>
> Actually, you can reinstall the game if it is accidentally deleted, but
> you can't install it to another computer. That makes 1. and 2. moot. And
> number 4 would be stupid; think of how easy the game could be pirated if
> you could just give out the code to everyone. And if you want to move it
> to another computer, you can always put the games on disks...
>
> Jared Betnar

I don't understand how the same code could not work on a different
computer... For all the cd and the new computer knows, it's still a
first install. Hmmm...

Rom

Romulus Gintautas

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to delete it from my main
computer and install it on my laptop?

Rom

John Turner

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Posted this a few days ago.....Guess no one saw it then....

At any rate:

Got my eagrly anticipated (mostly for the Monkey Island games, which
I've never had a chance to play) PC Gamer today.. After listening
to Critical Bill's comments (most of which I dissmiseed as subjective
statements) about PC Gamer's ommission of bugs and such I'm starting
to wonder.

80% to Yoda Stories?? Okay, that's subjective, but in Adam Douglass's
own words: "Highs:Simple and solid gameplay; 15 deceptivly large levels;
multi-media bonus movies. Lows: The big head characters may be too cute
for some. Graphics aren't super great. Bottom line: Yoda Stories is a
fun, addictive little game in the fine tradition of Star Wars titles."

No mention of the bugs that make some of the computer generated levels
impossible to beat. Maybe Mr. Douglass didn't run into these bugs, but
everyone to my knowledge (computer mag reviewers on down) has
acknowledged that this game is repetitive, buggy and has siginificant
flaws. I wont argue with the cute heads thing, but I did get a certian
tingle in my stomach just from the screen shoots (no, not the warm and
fuzzy kind).

I played the demo version of this game, and ran into a problem with the
world builder that CGW acknowledged as flawed. Blocks that needed to be
moved were made un-moveable because of their placement within walls.
Not to mention Luke can only swing his light saber in the 4 adjecet
squares, where as eneimes can attack him from all diagonal squares.
Meaning Luke is at a severe dis-advantage.

If this is fun and exciting gameplay then hey, Outpost'r'us! If this
does lend some support to Critical Bill's "mass conspiracy" where PC
Gamer editors are in on the take. Strangely enough in this same issue
of PC Gamer Outlaws only got a 82%, (reviewed by Mr Bennett). As stated
in the article itself "Highs: Nice graphics, cut-scenes; very good
multi-player action and musical scores. Lows: In single player mode some
levels are fustrating; enemy AI leaves much to be desired." The Outlaw
levels are actually win-able, compared to Yoda Stories. Being a Dark
Forces fan and a person who really enjoyed Outlaws, I found the levels
complex, but a lot more fun and intresting compared to the same
"run-throughs" in Duke and Quake.

Does any of this mean that I subscribe to Critical Bill's conspiracy
that editors are in on the take? No, but i am worried about some of PC
Gamers practices of reviewing games (no mention of the 3Dfx patch for
Outlaws either, but no big deal there). I would like to give a kudos to
Mr Bennetts sim section on realism and believeabilty. Please though, PC
GAMER, inconsisitant reviews don't help things, and when factoring in
the largest pc gaming magazine in a billon dollar industry you can
understand Critical Bill's disgust and the factor your magazine can have
upon it.

Ingo Warnke

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

LouMarion (loum...@aol.com) wrote:

: << 1. The two games combined only take up 14 megs on the CD.

: Actually the amount of space does not matter. I paid for it and it

: supposed to have free demos there not "pay per view games." Let me quote
: from a PC Gamer ad for you: "A disc with every issue packed with megabyte
: after megabyte of game demos." Seems to me if I subscribe and pay in
: advance I have paid for that space and they need to fill it to the brim
: with free game demos.

Didn't you get free demos? Does the PC gamer ad say 'We have x% of our space
for ads, not game information'? No? Then why don't you complain that they
do have advertisments in the magazine?

I agree with you that it would be a bad idea to put software that must
be paid for in large amounts on the CD. But 14 MB is not a large amount IMHO.

: Let me see if I can clarify this for you. I buy a computer on the

: salespersons assurance that I am getting a complete usable system. I then
: get home only to find out in the small print that I can only use the
: CD-ROM drive I had already paid for if I pay Sony another $20.

You *didn't* pay for the Monkey Island games. The CD-ROM is functional in
your example. You just get an additional cd-rom that has some ads.
: Seems like

: a few people may not like this. I laid out up front money to PC Gamer
: expecting to receive a CD full of free game demos based on their sales
: pitch. After I get into the subscription I find out the space I paid for
: not only does not have free game demos but "pay per view games." Get the
: similarity here.

I think you blow the problem out of proportion. If the files were 100 MB I
could understand you. But 14MB is probably much less then what is left free
on many prevoious cover CD's.

Ingo Warnke

Joonas Linkola

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

> A most excellant point Lou.

> As an act of protest I'm not buying next month's issue of pc gamer.
> Who's side is pc gamer on? The multi-billon dollar company or the
> average gamer?

A multi-billion dollar company? LucasArts is a company, and company
needs money to run it's business. And 20 dollars is REALLY cheap price
for the two of the best adventures games in the world. So pay!!!

RASPUTINXS

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

I think it's okay for PCGamer to do what they did. For those who can't
find it, here. The one's at fault are Lucasarts. Lucas' companies seem
hell bent in making money and skrewing the consumer. This MAY be
unrelated, but look at all the crappy Star Wars merchandising out there.
Sierra had the right idea. Take a good RPG, Betrayal at Krondor, throw in
Red baron, and give it out FREE. This was in order to promote the sequels.
Now Lucasarts decides to do it in order to promote MI3. But instead of two
free games (as Sierra did), they decided to nickel-and-dime us for every
penny we've got. I don't think LucaFarts would have missed the cash and
they would have shined in the consumers eye. As it is, I think they suck
for doing it.

RASPUTINXS

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

Sorry, but Sierra didn't have a problem doing it with Red Baron and
Betrayal at Krondor. I didn't expect them to do this, they just did. Kudos
for them. Lucasarts had nothing to lose by giving you the programs. I
can't see this costing them anything. They are just nickel-and-diming the
consumer. I don't MIND that you included it, I think it is a good idea for
old classics. But Sierra did set a precedent since they were the first to
do it, and for FREE.

How can you argue with that?

William Fletcher

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97
Actually, Sierra wasn't the first to give away games for free, it's just that
they were the first to give away games that everyone recognized, not just
niche players..

Ben

William Fletcher

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

In article <19970703052...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, raspu...@aol.com (RASPUTINXS) wrote:
>I think it's okay for PCGamer to do what they did. For those who can't
>find it, here. The one's at fault are Lucasarts. Lucas' companies seem
>hell bent in making money and skrewing the consumer.
Huh? Making money I can see...isn't that why they are in business in the
first place? And just how exactly are they screwing the consumer by making
them pay for goods?

> This MAY be
>unrelated, but look at all the crappy Star Wars merchandising out there.

Again.... huh? What are you talking about.. "crappy" Star Wars
merchandising?

>Sierra had the right idea. Take a good RPG, Betrayal at Krondor, throw in
>Red baron, and give it out FREE. This was in order to promote the sequels.
>Now Lucasarts decides to do it in order to promote MI3. But instead of two
>free games (as Sierra did), they decided to nickel-and-dime us for every
>penny we've got.

You didn't *have* to pay for it, so you really don't have the right to
bitch... If you want the games, buy them (or crack the disc)... if not, well,
shut up...

>I don't think LucaFarts would have missed the cash and
>they would have shined in the consumers eye. As it is, I think they suck
>for doing it.

So in your opinion General Motors should give away free 1959 Cadillacs to
promote the new Cateras? They're considered old too, and I bet there would be
lots of happy people in line for them... It's on a different scale, yes, but
it's the same premise. Nothing for nothing gets nothing....
Ben

Donald S Crankshaw

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

Jared Betnar wrote:

> you could just give out the code to everyone. And if you want to move it
> to another computer, you can always put the games on disks...

Exactly. If I'm not mistaken, there's no protection on the files
themselves once they've been installed: only on the extraction program.
You can simply zip them up and do whatever you want with them... not
that it would be ethical to do _anything_. I certainly don't have a
problem with moving them from your desktop to your laptop, though.

Sincerely,

Donald S. Crankshaw

LouMarion

Jul 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/5/97

b...@mindspring.com (William Fletcher) wrote:

<< Actually, Sierra wasn't the first to give away games for free, it's
just that
<< they were the first to give away games that everyone recognized, not
just
<< niche players..

<< Ben

Definatly right. Activision gave away Zork I long ago.

Lou Marion
LouM...@aol.com

matt del vecchio

Jul 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/6/97

Donald S Crankshaw <dsc...@MIT.EDU> wrote in article
<33BBF5...@MIT.EDU>...

> You can simply zip them up and do whatever you want with them... not
> that it would be ethical to do _anything_. I certainly don't have a
> problem with moving them from your desktop to your laptop, though.

Ah but the fine print does...Ever read that page of microtext? Often (and
it varies per game) you are *not* licensed to place the software on more
than one machine, anywhere. Even your home/work setup is against the
copyright law in that instance. But you don't seem to have an "ethical"
problem with that. Just as pirates don't for what they do. But they're
both against the law...and yet how fickle and personal "ethics" seem to be.

matt