Phantasmagoria, Chapter 7 walkthrough?

Richard Smith

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
Okay, I know enought people have already asked, and may have recieved a
walkthrough for Phantasmagoria, but I'm really getting annoyed with chapter 7,
and had to request it too. Adreinne's been cornered in the darkroom, and Don's
got her. Cue the H2SO4 (just a semi-camouflaged hint; don't want to spoil it
for anybody...!). I've tried whapping him over the head with the poker, but
the game won't allow it. I've so far been able to grab the book but not
escape (ending = Don dies, Adrienne survives, if you know what to do..!), or
she runs out of the darkroom. I've only done this once, cuz it's a pain to
have to work back up to that point again and again... Am I on the right track
in either of these pursuits? It'd be interesting if Don could be saved.

PS: Is it just me, or do both Don and Adrienne have really limited
wardrobes? I couldn't find any washer/driers around, so they must have been
pretty ripe by chapter seven... Maybe they washed them in the river/creek..?
--
%% Richard Smith : ak...@freenet.carleton.ca %%
%% Budding SF author, still struggling with my first novel... %%

Kenneth Plotkin

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
In article <DKsG...@freenet.carleton.ca>,
Richard Smith <ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

[snip]

>pretty ripe by chapter seven... Maybe they washed them in the river/creek..?

[snip]

That's why I was getting pretty tired of it by the end! But it really
wasn't long enough for things to spoil.

Don did have one change of clothes, which he said he'd put on after
Adrienne caused him to hit his head.

But you were asking about Chapter 7. The full, easy, answer is below.
Better than a walkthrough. You miss lots of the gory stuff, but you can
always go back and replay it differently for that.

Major (total?) spoilers below.

Ken Plotkin

Your goal in Chapter 7 is to gather the objects that Malcolm said you'd
need, then destroy the demon. By now you probably know that Don does not
make it.

Start the game at Chapter 7. Gather most of the items before you enter
the darkroom. You can wander around as much as you want, although at
some point you'll be sealed in the house. All you need can be found
there.

o You'll need a holy object: either the cross in the antiques shop, or a
rosary in the crypt. (The crypt can be reached, from this restart, from
a secret passage in the chapel).

o A sharp object to cut yourself ("blood of a sentient being"). Either
the brooch or the shard of glass in the baby's room.

o The snowman Christmas tree ornament. That's in the pocket of Don's
vest (see - he changed something!) on the floor in the dressing room off
the theater.

o The book itself. You go to the darkroom. Do the draino bit. Then
grab the book.

Don grabs you and takes you to the chair. Before he straps your left
hand down, give him the snowman. Pull the lever to split his head open.
(Glad I did NOT let my wife see this game - too many ideas presented.)

After the cut scene, head for the secret passage. Click on it
immediately - you're dead if you go to the wrong spot. In the passage,
you'll find that all is blocked except the passage you couldn't use
before. This time you see an overhead pipe that lets you cross the
chasm. Go through a door and bolt it behind you. Enter a room with an
altar. Examine the corpse on the far side of the altar. The last item
you need is there.

Go to the altar. Put the book on it. Then all of the objects. Use the
sharp thing on yourself.

For lots of gore, go to the darkroom first, but don't take the book.
You'll always be able to avoid Don (keep to the secret passages, don't
double back, and hit him with the poker if you need to - that works for
going back for the book) until you have all the objects. Then he gets
better and catches you.

The chase was actually the one part of the game that I liked. (Not the
gore - it just got too heavy.)

Zbigniew Gasiorek

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Richard Smith) wrote:

> Okay, I know enought people have already asked, and may have recieved a
>walkthrough for Phantasmagoria, but I'm really getting annoyed with chapter 7,
>and had to request it too. Adreinne's been cornered in the darkroom, and Don's
>got her. Cue the H2SO4 (just a semi-camouflaged hint; don't want to spoil it
>for anybody...!). I've tried whapping him over the head with the poker, but
>the game won't allow it. I've so far been able to grab the book but not
>escape (ending = Don dies, Adrienne survives, if you know what to do..!), or
>she runs out of the darkroom. I've only done this once, cuz it's a pain to
>have to work back up to that point again and again... Am I on the right track
>in either of these pursuits? It'd be interesting if Don could be saved.

Don cannot be saved. In short time I'll send a summary of finishing
sequences. But be sure Don must be killed, or you die fast.

Zbyszek

Zbigniew Gasiorek -- doctor Q CE
[z...@doctorQ.com OR gasi...@im.uj.edu.pl]
Cracow Poland

Mikko Nieminen

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
In article <DKsG...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Richard Smith) says:

> Okay, I know enought people have already asked, and may have recieved a
>walkthrough for Phantasmagoria, but I'm really getting annoyed with chapter 7,
>and had to request it too. Adreinne's been cornered in the darkroom, and Don's
>got her. Cue the H2SO4 (just a semi-camouflaged hint; don't want to spoil it
>for anybody...!). I've tried whapping him over the head with the poker, but
>the game won't allow it. I've so far been able to grab the book but not
>escape (ending = Don dies, Adrienne survives, if you know what to do..!), or
>she runs out of the darkroom. I've only done this once, cuz it's a pain to
>have to work back up to that point again and again... Am I on the right track
>in either of these pursuits? It'd be interesting if Don could be saved.

Nope, Don can't be saved.. Why do you need a walkthrough? I know, the last
part is REALLY frustrating, but there's always the HINTKEEPER! Some things
in the final chapter are VERY illogicial (isn't the whole plot?), and
without the Hintkeeper I would never guessed for example to examine
Carno's body..

> PS: Is it just me, or do both Don and Adrienne have really limited

>wardrobes? I couldn't find any washer/driers around, so they must have been

>pretty ripe by chapter seven... Maybe they washed them in the river/creek..?

Hey, I noticed thousands of that kind of ridiculous errors (most of them
were far WORSE). For example: they're just moved in, right? And when you
enter a room for the first time, EVERY F...ING CANDLE IS LIT! Everything
seemes brand new, All dust is dusted off, Fireplaces have fire, Windows
are in nice shape (and CLEAN), There are no boxes etc. you except to find
when someone's moving etc. etc. etc.

To put it short: PRETTY DAMN BORING "GAME"! And I payed 300fim for it!
And it doesn't work properly on my CD-rom drive (Mitsumi).
Let's hope Sierra goes bankcrupt before they release any more of this
kind of crap... That's it, I'm going to play Flight Of The Amazon Queen..
(at least it's a GAME)

No offence to you, but R.Williams :)
Breakbeat

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-O-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-+- Mikko Nieminen -+- o ..Xfiles-NorthernExposure-Anime-Techno-Mtg..
-mik...@sci.fi O .oOo.
in Cicely - Alaska o "Don't try to treathen me Mulder
(..or was it Finland?) O -I've watched presidents die."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-o-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Laura T

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article B...@freenet.carleton.ca, ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Richard Smith) writes:
> PS: Is it just me, or do both Don and Adrienne have really limited
>wardrobes? I couldn't find any washer/driers around, so they must have been
>pretty ripe by chapter seven... Maybe they washed them in the river/creek..?

I think it was Ken Williams himself that mentioned that this was
a technical decision that they made so that every scene wouldn't
have to be filmed with every possible outfit. He said that he had
suggested, but was over-ruled, that there be a scene where Adrienne
opens a suitcase (or closet?) and we see nothing but black pants and
orange tops. :-) I think it was a mistake not to include such a scene;
it would have been hilarious, and would have prevented the many
gripes about this issue!

Silvia Janssen

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Richard Smith) wrote:

> Okay, I know enought people have already asked, and may have recieved a
> walkthrough for Phantasmagoria, but I'm really getting annoyed with chapter 7,
> and had to request it too. Adreinne's been cornered in the darkroom, and Don's
> got her. Cue the H2SO4 (just a semi-camouflaged hint; don't want to spoil it
> for anybody...!). I've tried whapping him over the head with the poker, but
> the game won't allow it. I've so far been able to grab the book but not
> escape (ending = Don dies, Adrienne survives, if you know what to do..!), or
> she runs out of the darkroom. I've only done this once, cuz it's a pain to
> have to work back up to that point again and again... Am I on the right track
> in either of these pursuits? It'd be interesting if Don could be saved.
>

> PS: Is it just me, or do both Don and Adrienne have really limited
> wardrobes? I couldn't find any washer/driers around, so they must have been
> pretty ripe by chapter seven... Maybe they washed them in the river/creek..?

> --
> %% Richard Smith : ak...@freenet.carleton.ca %%
> %% Budding SF author, still struggling with my first novel... %%
> %%%% "I hate dancing.... Dancing is standing still, only %%%%
> %%%% faster." ("Aaden's Dance", by Elf Sternberg) %%%%

Before you grab the book: make sure that you have a sharp item (the
shard of glass or the cameo), a holy item (crucifix or rosary) and the
snowman.
If you have these before you enter the darkroom for the first time:
just use the H2S04 and grab the book.
When you have the book there is no escape possible.
If you don't have the above items: use the H2S04 and run out to the
secret entrance on the second floor (in the large room with the
paintings). During the chase sequence that follows you must try to
retrieve the items you need, all the time using the secret passages.
Everytime Don corners you after you take an object: hurt him with
something (poker, glass, the statue in the crypt, etc.) Finally go
back to the dark room and get the book.

The first option is much better for you heart (it was for mine :-) ),
but if you like a little adrenaline-overdose, follow the chase
sequence.

When Don ties you to the chair, distract him with the snowman.

After that you might like to try solving the end for yourself, but if
not, just ask.

Silvia Janssen
jh...@pi.net

Richard Smith

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Laura T (lat...@esac.pacbell.com) writes:

> I think it was Ken Williams himself that mentioned that this was
> a technical decision that they made so that every scene wouldn't
> have to be filmed with every possible outfit.

That's pretty much what I figured. Anyways, there were enough continuity
blips as it was, I guess mysterious quick-changes would have been even more
obvious...

> He said that he had
> suggested, but was over-ruled, that there be a scene where Adrienne
> opens a suitcase (or closet?) and we see nothing but black pants and
> orange tops.

I was thinking maybe that wardrobe on the far wall of their bedroom; do
a little one-shot like their bureau (well, one shot if you do it right the
first time...). Open it, show several identical outfits of hers and his, then
close again. Question is, then, just *what* was she packing in that suitcase
at the opening of chapter 7?

Sam Wong

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Silvia Janssen (jh...@pi.net) wrote:

: Before you grab the book: make sure that you have a sharp item (the

: shard of glass or the cameo), a holy item (crucifix or rosary) and the
: snowman.
: If you have these before you enter the darkroom for the first time:
: just use the H2S04 and grab the book.
: When you have the book there is no escape possible.

Are you sure? I've gotten the book without the rest of the items.
All I had to do was hit Don with the hammer and I was able to run out
of the Dark room and find the rest of the items that I needed.

--
Sam Wong, Hyper Dreams | bbs: 591-3884

Sam Wong

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
Silvia Janssen (jh...@pi.net) wrote:
: sam...@cyclops.mlnet.com (Sam Wong) wrote:

: Sorry, then I must be wrong in that respect. I couldn't escape from
: him once I took the book but I guess I did something wrong. It's a
: little while ago I played it. But as soon as you have the items you
: need, including the book, there is no getting away, or is there ?

That's right. If the spell book is the last thing that you get, you won't
be able to escape Don. At least, I've never heard anyone being able to.

--
Sam Wong, Hyper Dreams, BC, Canada

Kaylun

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
sam...@cyclops.mlnet.com (Sam Wong) wrote:

I have seen a hint book at a computer store for this game. There is
no way to win the game without getting captured by Don and later
having to kill him. Unfortunately, this means one cannot win the game
without having to kill Adrienne's husband. The hint book says this in
response:

Life is a bummer. But at least Don is not living with the fact of
having to forever attend Demonic Possession Anonymous!

Oh well, so that's the only way to beat the game. Sorry Don!

Kaylun

Lance Collins

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
Interesting then Sierra claims "With perseverence and wit, you can
discover the clues that save Adrienne from Don, and _Don from himself._

This is the only game I've played that caused my heart to race.

LC

Rainbow Malory

May 15, 2021, 5:20:20 PMMay 15
El lunes, 8 de enero de 1996 a las 9:00:00 UTC+1, Mikko Nieminen escribió:
> In article <DKsG...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Richard Smith) says:
> >
> > Okay, I know enought people have already asked, and may have recieved a
> >walkthrough for Phantasmagoria, but I'm really getting annoyed with chapter 7,
> >and had to request it too. Adreinne's been cornered in the darkroom, and Don's
> >got her. Cue the H2SO4 (just a semi-camouflaged hint; don't want to spoil it
> >for anybody...!). I've tried whapping him over the head with the poker, but
> >the game won't allow it. I've so far been able to grab the book but not
> >escape (ending = Don dies, Adrienne survives, if you know what to do..!), or
> >she runs out of the darkroom. I've only done this once, cuz it's a pain to
> >have to work back up to that point again and again... Am I on the right track
> >in either of these pursuits? It'd be interesting if Don could be saved.
> Nope, Don can't be saved.. Why do you need a walkthrough? I know, the last
> part is REALLY frustrating, but there's always the HINTKEEPER! Some things
> in the final chapter are VERY illogicial (isn't the whole plot?), and
> without the Hintkeeper I would never guessed for example to examine
> Carno's body..
> > PS: Is it just me, or do both Don and Adrienne have really limited
> >wardrobes? I couldn't find any washer/driers around, so they must have been
> >pretty ripe by chapter seven... Maybe they washed them in the river/creek..?
> Hey, I noticed thousands of that kind of ridiculous errors (most of them
> were far WORSE). For example: they're just moved in, right? And when you
> enter a room for the first time, EVERY F...ING CANDLE IS LIT! Everything
> seemes brand new, All dust is dusted off, Fireplaces have fire, Windows
> are in nice shape (and CLEAN), There are no boxes etc. you except to find
> when someone's moving etc. etc. etc.
> To put it short: PRETTY DAMN BORING "GAME"! And I payed 300fim for it!
> And it doesn't work properly on my CD-rom drive (Mitsumi).
> Let's hope Sierra goes bankcrupt before they release any more of this
> kind of crap... That's it, I'm going to play Flight Of The Amazon Queen..
> (at least it's a GAME)
> No offence to you, but R.Williams :)
> Breakbeat
> -+- Mikko Nieminen -+- o ..Xfiles-NorthernExposure-Anime-Techno-Mtg..
> -mik...@sci.fi O .oOo.
> in Cicely - Alaska o "Don't try to treathen me Mulder
> (..or was it Finland?) O -I've watched presidents die."
es un juego de 1995, y por aquel entonces ocupaba 7 cd`s el maldito juego, no intentes compararlo a los de ahora -.-