Drakan vs. Tomb Raider?

Ronald Russell

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
I noticed the game "Drakan-Order of the Flame" on sale at my local Hastings
for $16 today. I've played the demo, and found the controls difficult to
adjust to after playing Tomb Raider 1 through 4. How does Drakan compare
with Tomb
Raider? Do you think it is worthwhile, or just a TR clone?
Ron

Jenny

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Flying around on the dragon is a lot of fun. Nothing in Tomb Raider
matches it in my opinion.
I've only played Tomb Raider 1, but I got used to the Drakan controls
fairly quickly.
I didn't like what happened at the end of Drakan because it seemed
Rynn failed her quest and it was just the setup to a second Drakan
game. And we probably won't see a Drakan 2 game - at least not
on the PC.
But I enjoyed it more than Tomb Raider.
There is a patch. If you don't use it, the dragon loses his souped
up fire power and you can't whup the evil dragons.
IMHO it's certainly worth $16.00.

Jenny

"Ronald Russell" <ursa...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Robert Norton

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Ronald Russell wrote:

> I noticed the game "Drakan-Order of the Flame" on sale at my local Hastings
> for $16 today. I've played the demo, and found the controls difficult to
> adjust to after playing Tomb Raider 1 through 4. How does Drakan compare
> with Tomb Raider? Do you think it is worthwhile, or just a TR clone?

I believe Drakan is universally despised. This might be the wrong place to
come for a favorable review of Drakan, though.

Chad Dylan Long

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

"Robert Norton" <r...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Are you sure you're not talking about Drakkhen?
Chad

Robert Norton

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Chad Dylan Long wrote:

> > I believe Drakan is universally despised. This might be the wrong placeto
> come for a favorable review of Drakan, though.
>
> Are you sure you're not talking about Drakkhen?

Probably so! First, I flunked spelling in high school. Second, I played
neither game, only read a lot of reviews. Third, I startle easily.

So, nevermind!

Charybdis

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
This post was brought to you by Soylent Clear. Clearly less people,
clearly more taste. And now back to "Chad Dylan Long"
<so...@NOSPAMbyu.edu>'s message

>Are you sure you're not talking about Drakkhen?

Probably. Draken's not that special, but it was pretty good

- Richard

BearBiz

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
sh wrote:

> Robert Norton wrote:
>
> >Ronald Russell wrote:
> >
> >> I noticed the game "Drakan-Order of the Flame" on sale at my local
Hastings
> >> for $16 today. I've played the demo, and found the controls difficult
> >> adjust to after playing Tomb Raider 1 through 4. How does Drakan
compare
> >> with Tomb Raider? Do you think it is worthwhile, or just a TR clone?
> >

> >I believe Drakan is universally despised. This might be the wrong place
> >come for a favorable review of Drakan, though.
> >

> You are definitely confusing Drakan, the story Rynn and her dragon
> Arokh, with another game. Drakan is a great game with a pretty good
> story. It gets a little lite in the end due to Psygnosis forcing
> Surreal to release the game early. It's a great thrill the first time
> you ride on the dragon and face off against another dragon.
>
> As far as comparing it to Tomb Raider, I found Drakan a lot more fun.
> For one thing you have much more control over the character. You get a
> chance to use various sharp edge weapons as well as bows. With the
> edge weapons you cacn choose various attacks or try to sneak around
> you enemy. With the bows, you can zoom in on the enemy like a sniper
> and try to take them out before they see you. You should also find the
> variety of monsters in the game a lot of fun. Just wait till you meet
> the next to the last big enemy. :)

A very good 3rd person game that stacks up just fine to many
action/adventure games IMHO. The fighting is fun with the various swords
and Arokh's fire. A lot of the graphics are quite nice, especially when
it's snowing.

BearBiz

hoy....@spam.hawaii.me.edu

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
BearBiz <bear...@mailcity.com> wrote:
: sh wrote:

:> Robert Norton wrote:
:>
:> >Ronald Russell wrote:
:> >
:> >> I noticed the game "Drakan-Order of the Flame" on sale at my local
: Hastings
:> >> for $16 today. I've played the demo, and found the controls difficult
:> >> adjust to after playing Tomb Raider 1 through 4. How does Drakan
: compare
:> >> with Tomb Raider? Do you think it is worthwhile, or just a TR clone?
:> >
:> >I believe Drakan is universally despised. This might be the wrong place
:> >come for a favorable review of Drakan, though.

:> :>

Very much so worthwhile. About the controls, TR is best played with
keyboard or gamepad, while Drakan is best with a keyboard and mouse
combination.

As a bonus there's multiplayer play if you're in a competitive mood.

: A very good 3rd person game that stacks up just fine to many

: action/adventure games IMHO. The fighting is fun with the various swords
: and Arokh's fire. A lot of the graphics are quite nice, especially when
: it's snowing.

: BearBiz

Try this: when riding the dragon and it's snowing, hold down freelook and
the sneak button and move the camera around. It'll look like those
commercials where everything freezes for a second as the camera moves to a
different position.

--
hoy xatx hawaii xdotx education

yes, easily amused