Toonstruck - help with fish(spoiler)

Strayhorn

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

This is in Nefarious' castle.Turning up the temperature boils the
water and the fish jumps out. Turning the temp back to normal means
there is cool water in a tank with no fish. So off I trot to get the
chest. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the tank
before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way
of moving? Is there some way to slow the fish down?
cheers,
Andrew

Heiko Sippel

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the tank
> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way
> of moving? Is there some way to slow the fish down?
> cheers,
> Andrew
>=20

I don't know what you are doing wrong but this is exactly the way to get =
the box. There is no way to slow the fish down!
Seems you must keep trying, there is no trick there!

--=20
Heiko Sippel
sip...@mx.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de
http://www.uni-duesseldorf.de/WWW/MedFak/TheoChir

Stefan Matzerath

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

>>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
>> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the tank
>> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way
>> of moving? Is there some way to slow the fish down?
>> cheers,
>> Andrew
>>

>I don't know what you are doing wrong but this is exactly the way to get the box. There is no way to slow the fish down!

>Seems you must keep trying, there is no trick there!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I´m having exactly the same problem and didn´t manage it yet to get
that ...... box. I tried so often in all possible ways that I finally
throw Toonstruck from my HD.

Stefan

Gary Williamson

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

In article <330ee8f4...@news.netcologne.de>, mono...@netcologne.de (Stefan Matzerath) writes:
:>>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in

:>> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the tank
:>> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way
:>> of moving? Is there some way to slow the fish down?
:>> cheers,
:>> Andrew
:>>
:>
:>I don't know what you are doing wrong but this is exactly the way to get the box. There is no way to slow the fish down!
:>Seems you must keep trying, there is no trick there!
:
:..
:..
:..
:..
:..
:..
:..
:..
:I´m having exactly the same problem and didn´t manage it yet to get

:that ...... box. I tried so often in all possible ways that I finally
:throw Toonstruck from my HD.
:
:Stefan

There is something wrong here. I'm having the same problem.
Research thru Dejanews as well as on Compuserve, has revealed
others with this problem also.
Where there is smoke, there is fire.
There is a problem with the fishtank puzzle in this game.
For some users, it is unsolvable. I don't know why. I
suspect it is either due to:
1. Game programmers using a processor loop instead of a
timed loop to implement fish position so that a fast
computer gets the fish back to the tank faster than
a human can make the necessary mouse moves/clicks.
2. The order in which the puzzles are solved.

I'm running TS on a Pentium 133 w/512K PBC and Matrox Mystique.

For those who have completed the puzzle, what was the speed of
the computer you used?

Gary Williamson
wwil...@polaris.orl.mmc.com
Orlando, Florida

Muffin

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Gary Williamson <wwil...@polaris.orl.mmc.com> wrote in article
<5ess9m$e...@zeus.orl.mmc.com>...

> In article <330ee8f4...@news.netcologne.de>, mono...@netcologne.de
(Stefan Matzerath) writes:
> :>>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
> :>> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the
tank
> :>> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way
>

> For those who have completed the puzzle, what was the speed of
> the computer you used?
>

>We had no problem, we have a 586 133mhz
It does help if you use the right click mouse to move you "speed" into the
next room instead of click pointing your way across.

Stefan Matzerath

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

On 26 Feb 1997 20:30:09 GMT, "Muffin" <Muf...@apk.net> wrote:

>> :>>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
>> :>> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the
>tank
>> :>> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way

> It does help if you use the right click mouse to move you "speed" into the

>next room instead of click pointing your way across.

Yes, but I DID use the right button. As soon as the screen with the
fish appears he jumps back even before I had a chance to klick on the
tank or anything else.

Stefan

Lynn Alford

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

mono...@netcologne.de (Stefan Matzerath) writes:

>Yes, but I DID use the right button. As soon as the screen with the
>fish appears he jumps back even before I had a chance to klick on the
>tank or anything else.

An email correspondent of mine said he found pressing the m key allowed
him to sort of jump and that way he could finally get upstairs *before*
the fish jumped in the bowl. I don't know exactly how this works, my
computer didn't give me this grief.

Lynn
--
lynn....@jcu.edu.au | "And most important, trust no ones
lal...@nyx.cs.du.edu | steps but your own." Ruby 1

Muffin

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Stefan Matzerath <mono...@netcologne.de> wrote in article
<331729d7...@news.netcologne.de>...

> On 26 Feb 1997 20:30:09 GMT, "Muffin" <Muf...@apk.net> wrote:
>
> >> :>>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
> >> :>> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the
> >tank
> >> :>> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster
way

> > It does help if you use the right click mouse to move you "speed" into
the
> >next room instead of click pointing your way across.
> >

> Yes, but I DID use the right button. As soon as the screen with the
> fish appears he jumps back even before I had a chance to klick on the
> tank or anything else.
>

> Stefan

hmm, I guess you gotta call the manufacurer... Whne we got to that
point,the fish was in the lower right corner and took about 3-4 hops till
it got back in the bowl, plenty of time to do something.maybe you are
coming back up in some other direction? I think there is only one way up.
through the dungeon, up the stairs, something else that might help,
DON'T pull out the pick (you can get it later) as soon as you push the pick
to change the temp, MOVE.... although we had plenty of time....strange

Williamson

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Stefan Matzerath wrote:

> On 26 Feb 1997 20:30:09 GMT, "Muffin" <Muf...@apk.net> wrote:
>
> >> :>>. But lo! before I get there the bloody fish has jumped back in
> >> :>> the tank. I move as fast as I can but never even get close to the
> >tank
> >> :>> before the fish does. What am I doing wrong? Is there any faster way
>
> > It does help if you use the right click mouse to move you "speed" into the
> >next room instead of click pointing your way across.
> >

> Yes, but I DID use the right button. As soon as the screen with the
> fish appears he jumps back even before I had a chance to klick on the
> tank or anything else.
>
> Stefan

This is an unacknowledged bug in the Toonstruck program. On some fast (>120 MHz)
Pentium systems, the 'timer' in the program, which controls the movement of the
fish back to the tank, goes haywire and moves the fish one hop from the tank
during the time that it takes you to click the mouse. As a result, you can
NEVER beat the fish back to the tank. If you have this problem, the only fix
is to run Toonstruck on another, preferably slower, system using your last saved game.

This same problems also affects the stewpot puzzle causing the pot to 'snap' instead
of rock. The stewpot puzzle is barely solvable with this problem.

I've been conversing with members of the Gamers forum on CIS to see if we could come
up with a common denominator as to the cause of the problem. So far, the only common
denominator is that the affected systems are fast Pentiums. And only a small minority
of these. Whether you run Toonstruck under DOS or Windows95 makes no difference.

I would encourage you to report your problem to Virgin Interactive at www.vie.com.
If Virgin gets enough problem reports, maybe they will acknowledge the problem and
try to fix it.

Dave Timoney

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Williamson wrote:

> Stefan Matzerath wrote:

> > >tank
> >
> > > It does help if you use the right click mouse to move you "speed" into the
> > >next room instead of click pointing your way across.
> > >

> > Yes, but I DID use the right button. As soon as the screen with the
> > fish appears he jumps back even before I had a chance to klick on the
> > tank or anything else.
> >
> > Stefan
>
> This is an unacknowledged bug in the Toonstruck program. On some fast (>120 MHz)
> Pentium systems, the 'timer' in the program, which controls the movement of the
> fish back to the tank, goes haywire and moves the fish one hop from the tank
> during the time that it takes you to click the mouse. As a result, you can
> NEVER beat the fish back to the tank. If you have this problem, the only fix
> is to run Toonstruck on another, preferably slower, system using your last saved game.
>
> This same problems also affects the stewpot puzzle causing the pot to 'snap' instead
> of rock. The stewpot puzzle is barely solvable with this problem.

Really? I finished with no problems such as you described on my P166.
Obviously, just being
120MHz isn't it. When I entered the room with the (overheated) fish, it
was only about halfway
back to the bowl.

I believe I went up normally (rather than down from the airshaft). Just
start walkin and then
right click. The only tricky part is, of course, the scrolling jail
scene.

Dave
Humongous Entertainment

Gary Williamson

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

In article <331B8A...@humongous.com>, Dave Timoney <da...@humongous.com> writes:
:Williamson wrote:
:>
[...]

Note my posting. I said on >>some<< fast Pentium systems this problem occurs.
Not >>all<< fast Pentiums experience the problem, only a very small subset.
I know how the fish tank puzzle is supposed to 'work'. I ran Toonstruck on
some other machines from the same save file I used on the Pentium on which
it is unsolvable, and the puzzle was easily solved - the fish was not even
close to the tank when Drew reaches the 1st floor landing.

Instead of posting replies that say "Hey, it worked for me.", I'd much rather
see postings on the order of "I had the problem and this is what fixed it.", or
"I have the problem. Here's my system configuration.". Otherwise, the signal-to-noise
justs gets lower than it already is.

Stefan Matzerath

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

>:I惴 having exactly the same problem and didn愒 manage it yet to get

>:that ...... box. I tried so often in all possible ways that I finally
>:throw Toonstruck from my HD.
>:
>:Stefan

Eventually I扉e done it !!!!!

After trying thousands of different things I found a soultion for my
problem and it愀 fairly easy.

I just disabled the Internal + External Cache in my BIOS and ran the
last savegame of Toonstruck. And guess what ?!!!

It was no problem anymore to get the chest out of the tank.

But anyway ... thanx to Burst Ent. !!!

Stefan

Sascha Sponholz

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

>:> This is an unacknowledged bug in the Toonstruck program. On some fast (>120 MHz)
>:> Pentium systems, the 'timer' in the program, which controls the movement of the
>:> fish back to the tank, goes haywire and moves the fish one hop from the tank
>:> during the time that it takes you to click the mouse. As a result, you can
>:> NEVER beat the fish back to the tank. If you have this problem, the only fix
>:> is to run Toonstruck on another, preferably slower, system using your last saved game.

>:Really? I finished with no problems such as you described on my P166.

I had this problem on my PPro 200 and had to use a savegame which was
sent to me. As far as I know, there is no patch for this problem. I
paid a lot of money for this game and had to wait TWO MONTHS to get
the savegame (yes, I tried everything I could, also asked on the
internet).

jack.b...@googlemail.com

Feb 20, 2017, 11:55:53 AM2/20/17
I raised the temp, then freeze the water solid and then back to normal, seems the little guy takes a while longer to get back.