Monkey Island 2 Ending - MAJOR SPOILERS

Philip Willis

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
Can anyone explain the MI2 ending?

Are we really expected to believe that Guybrush dreamt the whole
thing, or, as I seem to think, LeChuck has Guybrush under a spell,
like Elaine says at the end.

Why didn't I get to use the love bomb on Elaine.

Why is this an annoying ending to an otherwise flawless game.

Is LucasArts setting itself up for a sequel or something.

Please email any comments to me - (Have I even got the right ending?)

Phil Willis
s32...@student.uq.edu.au

David Timoney

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
James L. Bourassa (6500...@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu) wrote:

: Unfortunately, the very ending is the worst part of the game, IMO.
: If they had cut it off just a little bit earlier....

: Anyway, enough rambling. I think that Guybrush's reversion to
: Kid Guybrush is just a result of him falling under the spell of
: LeChuck. He's just dreaming or hallucinating when he imagines himself
: as a kid at an amusement park.

: The thing that makes me say this is the fact that the last thing
: we see, if I recall correctly ( it has been awhile ), is the
: Governer hanging over the pit. She says something to the effect of:
: " I wonder where Guybrush is? I hope he hasn't fallen under LeChuck's
: spell. "

: If history had changed, or if the whole thing was a fantasy of
: Lil' Guybrush, this scene just doesn't make sense. I can't imagine
: any reason to include it, other than to tell the viewers that
: Guybrush is under the mental domination of LeChuck.

: Which is my story, and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure if I've
: misremembered or such, there will be many to correct me. Unfortunately,
: they seem to have left us with a cliffhanger either way, and absolutely
: no apparent intention to follow up on it, whatsoever. Pfah!
: It's enough to make a fellow want to lash out with a voodoo curse.

If what you say is true, where are their carnival references even back in
Monkey Island 1?

Dave

James L. Bourassa

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47g6iq$7...@case.cyberspace.com> tim...@case.cyberspace.com (David Timoney) writes:

>If what you say is true, where are their carnival references even back in
>Monkey Island 1?

Uhhh. Because there are carnivals on the various islands in the
game? There are carnivals in Real Life ( TM ) and there were carnivals
in ye olde pirate days. And carnivals are colorful places to reference.
Do you have anything more specific in mind that supports Monkey
Island I and II being the dreams of Kid Guybrush at a carnival?
I don't see the carnival references in the first game as being supporting
evidence for anything in particular. There were also cemeteries in
both games, but I don't think that points to much.

I'm still sticking with Guybrush under LeChuck's spell. What is the
final scene with the Governor over the pit about if all that is just
a dream of Kid Guybrush? Did he clutch his head and have a flashback?
And, given LeChuck's ghostly manifestation as a kid, I think it's
clear that this isn't exactly a normal world. Why does Lil' LeChuck
go all ghostly? Is he some kind of psychic boy, tormenting Guybrush?
The theory that he's under a spell is just a whole lot simpler to
my mind. All we've got to explain is why LeChuck made Guybrush
experience that particular dreamscape. I just can't come up with a
story that has it all as a dream or has history changed that makes
as much sense and doesn't raise a lot more weird questions.
And having the Governor actually say that she hopes Guybrush doesn't
fall under LeChuck's spell is kind of a big indicator, IMO.

Of course the answer doesn't really have to make sense, but I'd
prefer it. It could be one of those situations where we
have two worlds I suppose, with Guybrush and LeChuck bouncing back
and forth between the two. Kind of hackneyed, IMO. I guess we'll
ultimately have to wait for either the authors to chime in, or for
the next game.

James Bourassa
6500...@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

Kenneth Plotkin

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
It is not a dream. Guybrush is clearly under LeChuck's spell. The final
scene is Elaine worrying about Guy being under a spell. The scene before
that is Guy apparently as a kid, BUT his slimy brother flashing
momentarily into LeChuck.

As I have posted before, this cliff-hanger has implications far beyond
just game play. My family and I loved Guybrush, and we even named one of
our gerbils after him. Alas, Guybrush Threepgerbil passed away (of old
age) several years ago, without ever learning of Guybrush Threepwood's
final fate. He is buried beneath the oak tree in our back yard, but his
soul will never be at peace until his namesake is delivered from
LeChuck's evil clutches.

Please, LucasArts. Whatever it was that you did to drive Ron Gilbert
away, can't you find some way to make amends? Please lure him back, and
set him to work on "Monkey Island 3: Guybrush Gets the Girl."

Ken Plotkin

This post is dedicated to the memory of Guybrush (the gerbil) and his fellow
gerbils Gavroche, Whiskers, Nibble and Bobbin.

Donny & Sandy Ball

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In <47g6iq$7...@case.cyberspace.com> tim...@case.cyberspace.com (David
>If what you say is true, where are their carnival references even back
in
>Monkey Island 1?
>
>Dave

Do you not remember the alley in Monkey Island 1? The door that was
locked? And that he returned there in Monkey Island 2? The door could
be an image from his fantasy.

MEGABOZ

Alex Tedeschi

Oct 8, 2020, 4:00:49 AM10/8/20
Well, Monkey Island 3-5 came out, with an... explanation? It's just a spell from LeChuck, but it doesn't make the ending any more satisfying aha. But, it must've been blissful to only have two phenomenal games, with no extra clatter.

Werner P.

Oct 9, 2020, 2:11:08 AM10/9/20
Am 08.10.20 um 10:00 schrieb Alex Tedeschi:
> Well, Monkey Island 3-5 came out, with an... explanation? It's just a spell from LeChuck, but it doesn't make the ending any more satisfying aha. But, it must've been blissful to only have two phenomenal games, with no extra clatter.

Well there is an explanation different to what they came up with in MI
3, Ron Gilbert does not reveal it though unless he can make his own MI3
which very likely will never happen.

(Probably a joke from Gilbert anyway, he probably does not have a clue
either, the ending basically summed the monkey islandsa up anyway but
adding one last huge joke on top of it)

Alex Tedeschi

Jul 27, 2021, 9:40:23 AM7/27/21
Ah yeah you're totally right, keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of my life that Ron Gilbert will have a stroke of luck in reclaiming the Monkey Island license; the pinnacle of existence aha.

James Gow

Oct 5, 2022, 6:36:51 AM10/5/22
On Tuesday, 27 July 2021 at 14:40:23 UTC+1, Alex Tedeschi wrote:
> Ah yeah you're totally right, keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of my life that Ron Gilbert will have a stroke of luck in reclaiming the Monkey Island license; the pinnacle of existence aha.

Looks like you got your wish! Albeit the prologue of RtMI still leaves Elaine just hanging around next to a hole on Dinky Island :(.