LBA2:Baggage Claim Puzzle

ron

Jan 15, 2001, 12:50:06 PM1/15/01
Anybody know how to solve this puzzle. Getting the box out without
paying the 102 Kashes? I can get it to where the "too busy" clerk is.

MaryJ

Jan 15, 2001, 1:59:50 PM1/15/01
ron <rgl...@mail.ocis.net> wrote in message

> Anybody know how to solve this puzzle. Getting the box out without
> paying the 102 Kashes? I can get it to where the "too busy" clerk is.

You can either pay the guy who is sitting down by the barrels when you go
into the main area of the baggage claim part which is far easier to do. Or
you can fiddle with the barrel, pushing this way and that way and I found it
hard to maneuvre and it too so long, I gave up and just went out and got
more kashes which was much easier than trying to get the box where it was
supposed to go.. I never did find out where the box was supposed to end
because I just paid the money to the
warehouse guy who was sitting down. Was he the busy clerk? don't remember it
saying that about him. He wasn't doing anything except sitting down.

maybe somebody here who played the game had the patience to get the box to
where it was supposed to go without paying the kashes.?

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 15, 2001, 8:20:39 PM1/15/01
MaryJ wrote:

> maybe somebody here who played the game had the patience to get the box to
> where it was supposed to go without paying the kashes?

I did that, and the second time i played i was much better at
manoeuvring
the crate. But one problem remained unresolved: how to get past the
bunny
at the exit door.

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

MaryJ

Jan 15, 2001, 11:17:00 PM1/15/01
Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote in message

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > maybe somebody here who played the game had the patience to get the box
> > where it was supposed to go without paying the kashes?
>
> I did that, and the second time i played i was much better at
> manoeuvring
> the crate. But one problem remained unresolved: how to get past the
> bunny
> at the exit door.

Even the second time I played the game which was just recently, I was no
better at maneuvering that box. I just paid the guy to move it for me, so
never met the bunny at the exit door. If you couldn't get past him, how did
you get past that part of the game?

MaryJ

karMina

Jan 16, 2001, 11:58:53 PM1/16/01
If I remember well, you have to push the box past that lazy bunny, over a
treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with the
ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and watch him
run away crying. You will have use the lift and the treadmill here to jump on
top of the boxes next to the door and get the key from a small box. Unlock the
door and enter while pushing your crate to the other side of the door.

In this room, behind the 2 lifts, you can climb on the boxes and enter an area
where you can play a game. You have to chose one of the three levers and a box
will finally come down with the total amount you need to pay the lazy bunny to
get your box out. If you do get in that area, your box will automatically return
to the very beginning as soon as you leave this area, so you will have to push
your box all the way back again or pay the lazy guy. You'll have to push it
again through a new series of lifts and treadmills and at the last treadmill
just jump on it and you will end up by the entrance lobby where the elephant
will open your crate and give you your prize.

That's it. Good luck and have fun. 8^)

--
Sans signature...

"MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> a écrit dans le message news:
mWP86.3795$Oe.1...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...

MaryJ

Jan 17, 2001, 12:52:11 AM1/17/01
karMina <karMina...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If I remember well, you have to push the box past that lazy bunny, over a
> treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with
the
> ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and
watch him
> run away crying. You will have use the lift and the treadmill here to jump
on
> top of the boxes next to the door and get the key from a small box. Unlock
the
> door and enter while pushing your crate to the other side of the door.

I am not playing the game at the moment,but I had always wondered about that
part. I did get somewhere with the box but I gave up and went back and paid
the guy to move the box for me. The parts that I go to were above, but I
never saw a key in a smallbox, so guess I either didn't see it or stopped
before that part.

I don't remember those bunnies. I mostly remember the guy sitting at the
crates shortly after you go into the warehouse - I guess he is the laxy guy.

Your description is very good of what to do. The next time I play the game I
might try it.

The most I did with boxes was a different part in TO - it was the part
where you zoomed over with the super pak on your back and you had to move
the boxes and figure out how to get them both up on the elevator thing to be
able to jump onto the next scene of the game. someone has said yuo can junk
over the spikes near the back elevator - if you know where i mean, but I was
never able to do that without jumping ON the spikes.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 17, 2001, 10:12:55 PM1/17/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Even the second time I played the game which was just recently, I was no
> better at maneuvering that box. I just paid the guy to move it for me, so
> never met the bunny at the exit door. If you couldn't get past him, how did
> you get past that part of the game?

When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
(i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
paying
the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.

It's easy enough to get 100 or 200 kashes if you hit every kash tree
in each area several times.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 17, 2001, 10:22:56 PM1/17/01
karMina wrote:

> If I remember well, you have to push the box past that lazy bunny,

As i recall, the lazy baggage handler is a Quetch (like Twinsen),
not a Rabbibunny.

> over a
> treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with the
> ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and watch him
> run away crying.

Drat! He's one of the few characters i haven't beaten up. ;(
To think: he's also one of the very few harmless characters
that it's beneficial to attack! =:(

> You will have use the lift and the treadmill here to jump on
> top of the boxes next to the door and get the key from a small box.

Now, as it happens i learnt that, but i couldn't find that box.
_Exactly_ which small box is it?

> Unlock the door and enter while pushing your crate
> to the other side of the door.

A little experimentation and i should be able to do that.
After allm i got the crate this far, and i also found a
couple of ways to solve the pile-the-crates problem in
another section of the game.

> In this room, behind the 2 lifts, you can climb on the boxes and enter an area
> where you can play a game.

Where are you describing now?

> You have to chose one of the three levers

I don't recall that, so i guess this is a new area beyond the door
that the bunny was guarding?

> and a box will finally come down with the total amount you need
> to pay the lazy bunny to get your box out.

But i have the money already; i don't need any more kashes.

> If you do get in that area, your box will automatically return
> to the very beginning as soon as you leave this area,

Hmm, respawning can be a pain. But it provides plenty of practice.

> so you will have to push
> your box all the way back again or pay the lazy guy.

> You'll have to push it
> again through a new series of lifts and treadmills

Goody! A puzzle i didn't know existed.

> and at the last treadmill just jump on it

I predicted that. Pity jumping on the treadmills
upstairs in the entrance lobby doesn't let Twinsen
explore in the reverse direction.

> and you will end up by the entrance lobby where the elephant
> will open your crate and give you your prize.

And a good prize it is, too.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 17, 2001, 10:24:59 PM1/17/01
MaryJ wrote:

> The most I did with boxes was a different part in TO - it was the part
> where you zoomed over with the super pak on your back and you had to move
> the boxes and figure out how to get them both up on the elevator thing to be
> able to jump onto the next scene of the game. someone has said yuo can junk
> over the spikes near the back elevator - if you know where i mean, but I was
> never able to do that without jumping ON the spikes.

Yes, you can jump over those spikes. As in several other sections
of TO, you have to take a running jump. After a few tries, it's
quite easy.

MaryJ

Jan 17, 2001, 10:35:43 PM1/17/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > The most I did with boxes was a different part in TO - it was the part
> > where you zoomed over with the super pak on your back and you had to
move
> > the boxes and figure out how to get them both up on the elevator thing
to be
> > able to jump onto the next scene of the game. someone has said yuo can
junk
> > over the spikes near the back elevator - if you know where i mean, but I
was
> > never able to do that without jumping ON the spikes.
>
> Yes, you can jump over those spikes. As in several other sections
> of TO, you have to take a running jump. After a few tries, it's
> quite easy.

Funny but I tried it a lot of times , but just ended up on the spikes, so I
figured it couldn't be done, but obviously it can.

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 17, 2001, 10:38:14 PM1/17/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > Even the second time I played the game which was just recently, I was no
> > better at maneuvering that box. I just paid the guy to move it for me,
so
> > never met the bunny at the exit door. If you couldn't get past him, how
did
> > you get past that part of the game?
>
> When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
> (i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
> paying
> the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.

So you never moved the box around the place and out the door the "hard way"
as described by the other NG poster yesterday (Kinha?) - forget their exact
name.

> It's easy enough to get 100 or 200 kashes if you hit every kash tree
> in each area several times.

You were like me and took the easy way out - eh? -hehe

MaryJ

karMina

Jan 18, 2001, 12:02:37 AM1/18/01
"Geoffrey Tobin" <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> a écrit dans le message news:
3A666190...@ee.latrobe.edu.au...

> As i recall, the lazy baggage handler is a Quetch (like Twinsen),
> not a Rabbibunny.

True, true

> > over a
> > treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with the
> > ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and watch
him
> > run away crying.
>
> Drat! He's one of the few characters i haven't beaten up. ;(
> To think: he's also one of the very few harmless characters
> that it's beneficial to attack! =:(

LOL. My daughter was hitting anything that moved in that game (good and bad
people) like that little brat who shoots at you when you try to enter the
drugstore... >:^) The result was surprising and funny sometimes.

> Now, as it happens i learnt that, but i couldn't find that box.
> _Exactly_ which small box is it?

It's just a small brown box on top of the larger crates on the left side of that
locked door.

> > Unlock the door and enter while pushing your crate
> > to the other side of the door.
>
> A little experimentation and i should be able to do that.
> After allm i got the crate this far, and i also found a
> couple of ways to solve the pile-the-crates problem in
> another section of the game.
>
> > In this room, behind the 2 lifts, you can climb on the boxes and enter an
area
> > where you can play a game.
>
> Where are you describing now?
>
> > You have to chose one of the three levers
>
> I don't recall that, so i guess this is a new area beyond the door
> that the bunny was guarding?

Exactly, it's on the other side of the locked door. You will see some crates by
the wall and a square hole in that wall but when you enter there, you have to
leave your box in the other room and when you return to that room with the
money, your box is gone back to the beginning because it reloads the room's
graphics.

> > and a box will finally come down with the total amount you need
> > to pay the lazy bunny to get your box out.
>
> But i have the money already; i don't need any more kashes.

Good for you but maybe Ron (the original poster) needs that money. ;^)

> > If you do get in that area, your box will automatically return
> > to the very beginning as soon as you leave this area,
>
> Hmm, respawning can be a pain. But it provides plenty of practice.
>
> > so you will have to push
> > your box all the way back again or pay the lazy guy.
>
> > You'll have to push it
> > again through a new series of lifts and treadmills
>
> Goody! A puzzle i didn't know existed.

And a very easy one at that too.

> > and at the last treadmill just jump on it
>
> I predicted that. Pity jumping on the treadmills
> upstairs in the entrance lobby doesn't let Twinsen
> explore in the reverse direction.

Now, now, where's your adventurous sense? This game if full of surprises mostly
good but sometimes bad.

> > and you will end up by the entrance lobby where the elephant
> > will open your crate and give you your prize.
>
> And a good prize it is, too.
>
> --
> Best wishes!
> Geoffrey Tobin
> Email: g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au
> WWW: http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

Best wishes to you too.

karMina

--
Sans signature...

ron

Jan 21, 2001, 11:00:24 AM1/21/01
Thanks karMina,
Eureka, at last! I just tried this and it is the answer. Thank You.

You are not only a good game player but you must have an excellent
memory also.

karMina

Jan 21, 2001, 12:02:41 PM1/21/01
My pleasure Ron,

When I play a game, I try to go everywhere and open everything I can. Sometimes,
I have big surprises too. It takes me a long time to play a game but at least I
have quite an adventure playing it.

Good luck and the adventure continues.
--
Sans signature...

"ron" <rgl...@mail.ocis.net> a ecrit dans le message news:
3a6b059d...@news.ocis.net...

Graham

Jan 21, 2001, 12:57:33 PM1/21/01
Hi
do eather of you read the alt.games.twinsens.odyssey group, if not
then i'm sure we would all love you to (even though the chat is at a
minimal when its at its best)
--
Graham

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 21, 2001, 9:02:37 PM1/21/01
MaryJ wrote:
> Funny but I tried it a lot of times, but just ended up on the spikes ...

Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 21, 2001, 9:07:25 PM1/21/01
Graham wrote:
> do either of you read the alt.games.twinsens.odyssey group, if not

> then i'm sure we would all love you to

I second that!

> (even though the chat is at a minimal when its at its best)

In agto, we're always good. :) Quiet, but good.
As quiet as solitary confinement in a padded room.
!tuo em teL. !pleH

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 21, 2001, 9:09:59 PM1/21/01
MaryJ wrote:

> GT wrote:

> > When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
> > (i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
> > paying
> > the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.
>
> So you never moved the box around the place and out the door the "hard way"
> as described by the other NG poster yesterday (Kinha?) - forget their exact
> name.

I manoeuvred the crate to the doorguard bunny. But then i couldn't get
through the door, because i couldn't find the magic pass key or whatever
it is, so after all that effort i had to pay the lazy quetch anyway.

MaryJ

Jan 21, 2001, 9:49:49 PM1/21/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > Funny but I tried it a lot of times, but just ended up on the spikes ...
>
> Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
> You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
> over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
> coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.

Yes, I know, but I tried that same part dozens of times and finished the
game again not long ago and tried those same spikes - couldn't get over them
yet I managed to maneuvre those boxes around in that same area and it took a
little thinking -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 21, 2001, 9:51:25 PM1/21/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > GT wrote:
> > > When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
> > > (i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
> > > paying
> > > the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.
> >
> > So you never moved the box around the place and out the door the "hard
way"
> > as described by the other NG poster yesterday (Kinha?) - forget their
exact
> > name.
>
> I manoeuvred the crate to the doorguard bunny. But then i couldn't get
> through the door, because i couldn't find the magic pass key or whatever
> it is, so after all that effort i had to pay the lazy quetch anyway.

I did try to get the box out of that area myself,but in the end had to pay
the lazy guy (guess that was the guy sitting and leaning on the barrel
things?)

MaryJ

Graham

Jan 22, 2001, 2:51:20 PM1/22/01
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:51:25 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
wrote:

this is all strange, I managed to get the crate out first time,
without paying the guy and getting a few hundred cashes on the way
--
Graham

MaryJ

Jan 22, 2001, 5:41:30 PM1/22/01
Graham <gra...@asjg.freeuk.com> wrote in message

> Graham

Well, Geoffrey and I must not as smart as you Graham -;) I tried to get the
crate out without paying the lazy guy when I played the game a few months
ago and again when I tried it a month ago, and still had to pay the guy. I
thought it took a lot of patience, which lots of other parts in the game do
too, but the crate seemed to go this way and that way and when you pressed
the up arrow, the box went over to the right or left instead of forward, and
same whenI pressed the left arrow - it went all over theplace. It was
annoying.

What is your secret to moving that crate in that part of the game without
the crate going this way and that?

By the way, have you ever played Relentless and if so, did you have any
problems with it after it was installed such as Don and Geoffrey are having
right now?

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 4:09:28 AM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
> > You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
> > over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
> > coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.
>
> Yes, I know, but I tried that same part dozens of times and finished the
> game again not long ago and tried those same spikes - couldn't get over them
> yet I managed to maneuvre those boxes around in that same area and it took a
> little thinking -;)

How long did you take to work out how to use the lift, etc,
to pile up the boxes? It took me a long time on the first
occasion.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 4:13:52 AM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> What is your secret to moving that crate in that part of the game without
> the crate going this way and that? ...

Moving the crate gets easier with practice. The first time i tried,
i got it under the "monkey bar" (or whatever that overhead structure
is) but it seemed to be magnetically drawn in the wrong direction,
and i wasn't strong enough to overpower it long enough.

However, when i tried it more recently, it was a cinch. I guess
with all that practice over the years, Twinsen's growing muscles. ;)

MaryJ

Jan 23, 2001, 12:10:47 PM1/23/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
> > > You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
> > > over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
> > > coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.
> >
> > Yes, I know, but I tried that same part dozens of times and finished the
> > game again not long ago and tried those same spikes - couldn't get over
them
> > yet I managed to maneuvre those boxes around in that same area and it
took a
> > little thinking -;)
>
> How long did you take to work out how to use the lift, etc,
> to pile up the boxes? It took me a long time on the first
> occasion.

The first time I played the game, it took me a long time to figure out about
the lift and how to get the boxes up and down. I can't say exactly how long,
but I did have to look at the walklthrough and then when I did get it right,
my own solution was different than the walkthrough anyway - since I couldn't
seem to figure it the same way as the walkthrough, so I think there are a
few different ways of getting the boxes up and down. The second time it
still took me a while,but not as long as the first time around. I figured
out how to work the lift quickly, it was the boxes which gave me trouble and
the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim. When I pushed
the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be the
most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find that
to be a problem?

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 23, 2001, 12:26:53 PM1/23/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > What is your secret to moving that crate in that part of the game
without
> > the crate going this way and that? ...
>
> Moving the crate gets easier with practice. The first time i tried,
> i got it under the "monkey bar" (or whatever that overhead structure
> is) but it seemed to be magnetically drawn in the wrong direction,
> and i wasn't strong enough to overpower it long enough.
>
> However, when i tried it more recently, it was a cinch. I guess
> with all that practice over the years, Twinsen's growing muscles. ;)

So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area to
wherever the end of that part is? The part which Graham said if you through
all the way,you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money. I
was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
later on as well. .But the first time I played the game, I was short of
magic and health all the time - especially in the gem mine area. I
constantly had to try to get that guy down the passage place near the mine
and bop him off to get some health or magic just to continue with the game.

MaryJ

Graham

Jan 23, 2001, 3:07:01 PM1/23/01
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:26:53 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
wrote:

>So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area to
>wherever the end of that part is? The part which Graham said if you through
>all the way,you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money. I
>was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
>later on as well. .

Past the lazy rabibunny is a lift thing, to the to of the screen and
right ish is a pile of boxes and a hole or something, try to jump from
one box to another starting on your crate then go through the hole and
pull the third lever I think a box will come and inside is loads of
money

Try pushing the box using your back i.e. walk backwards into it, it
may be easyer to controll that way.
--
Graham

MaryJ

Jan 23, 2001, 3:59:04 PM1/23/01

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:26:53 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
> wrote:
>

> >So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area
> >wherever the end of that part is? The part which Graham said if you
through
> >all the way,you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money.
> >was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
> >later on as well. .

> Past the lazy rabibunny is a lift thing, to the to of the screen and
> right ish is a pile of boxes and a hole or something, try to jump from
> one box to another starting on your crate then go through the hole and
> pull the third lever I think a box will come and inside is loads of
> money

I am not playing the game at the moment Graham, though someone else might
be. When you say "lazy rabibunny" do you mean the person you see when you
first go in after you pick up the crate and go to another room? and he is
sitting leaning against some crates? is that who you mean as lazy rabibunny?
I passed him at one point and got a little further one time. I got as far as
where there was a lift thing and a door beside it but you couldn't get into
the door. Also, another part was you could go along a conveyor belt with the
box,but then the box fell off at the end - I tried those parts so many
times and thats why I gave up and just paid the guy.

> Try pushing the box using your back i.e. walk backwards into it, it
> may be easyer to controll that way.

I would have to play it again sometime to remember what I did in that area.
Did you ever play Relentless? if so, what was it like? I am wondering if
its worth while to try to get.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 11:05:44 PM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> the boxes which gave me trouble and
> the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim. When I pushed
> the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be the
> most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find that
> to be a problem?

Actually, no. Maybe your keyboard needs to be straightened? :)

Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
that kept dragging the box away.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 11:09:17 PM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area to
> wherever the end of that part is?

I got as far as the door guarded by the rabbibunny. It's about a screen
to the right of the conveyor belts. Since he wouldn't let me pass, and
i had no key for the door, i was stuck. Now i know to chase him away,
i may make another attempt to find the key.

> The part which Graham said if you through

> all the way, you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money. I

> was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
> later on as well.

Yes, but there are many money trees and other sources of kash.

> But the first time I played the game, I was short of
> magic and health all the time - especially in the gem mine area. I
> constantly had to try to get that guy down the passage place near the mine
> and bop him off to get some health or magic just to continue with the game.

Some areas are resource poor, that's why one should stock up well
in the resource rich areas.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 11:11:00 PM1/23/01
Graham wrote:

> Past the lazy rabibunny

The lazy man is a quetch. The rabbibunny is an officious doorguard.

> is a lift thing, to the top of the screen and

> right ish is a pile of boxes and a hole or something, try to jump from
> one box to another starting on your crate then go through the hole and
> pull the third lever I think a box will come and inside is loads of
> money

Neat! I must look for that.

> Try pushing the box using your back i.e. walk backwards into it, it

> may be easyer to control that way.

Twinsen physics is well done.

MaryJ

Jan 24, 2001, 12:07:39 AM1/24/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > the boxes which gave me trouble and
> > the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim. When I
pushed
> > the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> > direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be
the
> > most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> > baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> > frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find
that
> > to be a problem?
>
> Actually, no. Maybe your keyboard needs to be straightened? :)

Or thrown off the balcony. I think my keyboard is ok. The crates moved even
if you brushed against them slightly, when you were just trying to get
yourself in position to move the crate.

> Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
> problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
> that kept dragging the box away.

Yes, I remember some parts like that where there was a conveyer belt high up
and Twinsenhad to jump on it and the crate went off the end of the conveyer
belt before you could get to it.

Did you complete that part and get the crate out of the whole area and get a
bunch of kashes like Graham did, without paying the guy to move it for you?
I never got that far. I would have to try it some other time when I play the
game again.. My daughter is still playing it for the last two weeks and just
found the Museum - haha. She takes months with games,and sometimes doesn't
bother to finish them if they get too boring for her. She says TO takes a
lot of patience. I have to agree with that. But I told her if you can keep
going, you get better at doing things in the game -;) Remember when I played
it the first time, I thought I would just give up quite a few times?

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 24, 2001, 12:12:07 AM1/24/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area
> > wherever the end of that part is?
>
> I got as far as the door guarded by the rabbibunny. It's about a screen
> to the right of the conveyor belts. Since he wouldn't let me pass, and
> i had no key for the door, i was stuck. Now i know to chase him away,
> i may make another attempt to find the key.

I just asked you about this part in a message I just wrote. That is the
trouble with you being so far ahead in time than here. I read your messages
at night - it is 12.15 a.m. here right now, but about 3 pm the next day at y
our place? so by the time I get your messages,yo have already asked what I
wanted to know before. We are out of sync. Sorry for asking the same thing
again. but blame the time differences -;)

> > The part which Graham said if you through
> > all the way, you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the
money. I
> > was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and
sometimes
> > later on as well.
>
> Yes, but there are many money trees and other sources of kash.

I know, but it would have been handy to get kashes there just the same.

> > But the first time I played the game, I was short of
> > magic and health all the time - especially in the gem mine area. I
> > constantly had to try to get that guy down the passage place near the
mine
> > and bop him off to get some health or magic just to continue with the
game.

> Some areas are resource poor, that's why one should stock up well
> in the resource rich areas.

Yes,but sometimes you are busy concentrating on other things. Besides, if
you had enough magic and health all the time in the entire game, the game
would not be as challenging. Its nice to get health and magic and kashes and
clovers in unexpected places.

MaryJ

Graham

Jan 24, 2001, 2:40:56 PM1/24/01
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:59:04 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
wrote:

>I am not playing the game at the moment Graham, though someone else might
>be. When you say "lazy rabibunny" do you mean the person you see when you
>first go in after you pick up the crate and go to another room? and he is
>sitting leaning against some crates? is that who you mean as lazy rabibunny?

Yep

>I passed him at one point and got a little further one time. I got as far as
>where there was a lift thing and a door beside it but you couldn't get into
>the door.

you need a key from on some crates, in a small brown box

> Also, another part was you could go along a conveyor belt with the
>box,but then the box fell off at the end - I tried those parts so many
>times and thats why I gave up and just paid the guy.

Ithink you're not ment to do that, its not ment to go on to the bely
but over the bults on the floor

>I would have to play it again sometime to remember what I did in that area.
>Did you ever play Relentless? if so, what was it like? I am wondering if
>its worth while to try to get.

defonately it is ace
--
Graham

Graham

Jan 24, 2001, 2:42:11 PM1/24/01
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:11:00 +1100, Geoffrey Tobin
<g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:

>The lazy man is a quetch. The rabbibunny is an officious doorguard.

oops my mistake haven't played it for a while but now you mentin it I
do remember it as being a quech. thanx

--
Graham

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 29, 2001, 3:24:50 AM1/29/01
MaryJ wrote:

> The crates moved even
> if you brushed against them slightly, when you were just trying to get
> yourself in position to move the crate.

You're stronger than you thought. Strength is good, but elegant
precision
requires practice.

> > Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
> > problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
> > that kept dragging the box away.
>
> Yes, I remember some parts like that where there was a conveyer belt high up

> and Twinsen had to jump on it and the crate went off the end of the conveyer

> belt before you could get to it.

A conveyor belt high up? Where was that? Do you mean in the mineral
processing
building on the moon base?

> Did you complete that part and get the crate out of the whole area and get a
> bunch of kashes like Graham did, without paying the guy to move it for you?

No, because i didn't find the box with the key (?) to get past the
rabbibunny
who guarded the exit.

> I never got that far. I would have to try it some other time when I play the
> game again.. My daughter is still playing it for the last two weeks and just
> found the Museum - haha. She takes months with games,and sometimes doesn't
> bother to finish them if they get too boring for her. She says TO takes a
> lot of patience. I have to agree with that. But I told her if you can keep
> going, you get better at doing things in the game -;)

Good advice. Sounds familiar, even. <Snagglepuss exits left.>

> Remember when I played it the first time, I thought I would just give up
> quite a few times?

Yes, but the crowd cheered you on. Rah, rah, MaryJ! Did the gatorade
help
too?

MaryJ

Jan 29, 2001, 12:20:17 PM1/29/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > The crates moved even
> > if you brushed against them slightly, when you were just trying to get
> > yourself in position to move the crate.
>
> You're stronger than you thought. Strength is good, but elegant
> precision
> requires practice.

I don't think it was brute strength on my part. I was thinking more that
when you pushed on an arrow key, the box would go one way, but then when you
lifted your finger from the arrow key, Twinsen was still moving slightly and
the box got moved just enough that you didn't want it to go that way. Didn't
anyone else have this problem with those boxes?

> > > Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
> > > problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
> > > that kept dragging the box away.
> >
> > Yes, I remember some parts like that where there was a conveyer belt
high up
> > and Twinsen had to jump on it and the crate went off the end of the
conveyer
> > belt before you could get to it.
>
> A conveyor belt high up? Where was that? Do you mean in the mineral
> processing
> building on the moon base?

No, I mean in the baggage claim area. Above where Twinsen walked on the
ground, there was a conveyer belt thing - or maybe I am not remembering
correctly.

> > Did you complete that part and get the crate out of the whole area and
get a
> > bunch of kashes like Graham did, without paying the guy to move it for
you?

> No, because i didn't find the box with the key (?) to get past the
> rabbibunny
> who guarded the exit.

Oh yes, I forgot about that.

> > I never got that far. I would have to try it some other time when I play
the
> > game again.. My daughter is still playing it for the last two weeks and
just
> > found the Museum - haha. She takes months with games,and sometimes
doesn't
> > bother to finish them if they get too boring for her. She says TO takes
> > lot of patience. I have to agree with that. But I told her if you can
keep
> > going, you get better at doing things in the game -;)
>
> Good advice. Sounds familiar, even. <Snagglepuss exits left.>

She is not as persevering as me about games, and gives up more easily.
She doesn't have the interest or patience I guess. Yet in other areas of
life, she has more patience than me.

> > Remember when I played it the first time, I thought I would just give up
> > quite a few times?
>
> Yes, but the crowd cheered you on. Rah, rah, MaryJ! Did the gatorade
> help
> too?

Yes, you were very supportive Geoffrey and challenged me all the way asking
me about where I was in the game, explaining who the characters were. Also
Jeanne helped me out of a few tight spots. Getting support is always so nice
in any area of life -;)

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 29, 2001, 9:51:18 PM1/29/01
MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote

> Yes, you were very supportive Geoffrey and challenged me all the way
asking
> me about where I was in the game, explaining who the characters were. Also
> Jeanne helped me out of a few tight spots.

Glad I could help you enjoy this wonderful game!

>Getting support is always so nice in any area of life -;)

Isn't that the truth, though? ;-)
Jeanne

Isn't it the truth? ;-)

MaryJ

Jan 29, 2001, 11:38:13 PM1/29/01
Jeanne <jep...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Jeanne - remember for quite a while after I was into the game, I asked for a
hint on the NG, and you gave me a hint and I was complaining so much about
dying all the time in the game and having to jump onto ledges all the time
and killing guards, etc. and you said something like
"the game is not for everyone, maybe its a game you just don't like", and I
thought at the time, yes maybe its not for me, but it was kind of strange,
because even though I hated these jumping parts and dying every two minutes,
it maintained my interest in other ways and I kept on going.
I found that as I got more into the game, and got better at hitting
people/jumping and throwing the ball, I actually got to enjoy it. In all the
games I've ever played - dozens and dozens over the last 10 years, it has
never happened before that I have disliked as game so much, yet ended up
liking it. It took quite a while into the game before I got to like it
though -;) The game has a lot to offer in imagination and the graphics are
beautifully done. I especially liked the characters ast the start of the
game. My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?
It's quite different from any other game I've played- very unique. My
daughter is playing it at the moment and complains about the same things I
did, and says it requires so much patience. So I said to her "the game is
not for everybody - maybe its not for you" = sound familiar? haha

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 30, 2001, 12:21:36 AM1/30/01
> > MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote

> Jeanne - remember for quite a while after I was into the game, I asked for
> hint on the NG, and you gave me a hint and I was complaining so much about
> dying all the time in the game and having to jump onto ledges all the time
> and killing guards, etc. and you said something like
> "the game is not for everyone, maybe its a game you just don't like",

Yes, I do remember saying that. I felt so badly that you really didn't like
the game...and I do so love TO. I also remember giving you some "cheats" to
get you through...but I don't think you wanted to use them. You were going
to battle your way through! And you did!

and I
> thought at the time, yes maybe its not for me, but it was kind of strange,
> because even though I hated these jumping parts and dying every two
minutes,
> it maintained my interest in other ways and I kept on going.
> I found that as I got more into the game, and got better at hitting
> people/jumping and throwing the ball, I actually got to enjoy it.

I remember getting stuck in most of the places you were stuck. I was *so*
frustrated throwing that #@%&@ ball and not connecting that I could really
relate to your frustration.
But you're right, it's the whole TO world and the characters AND the music
that just enchant you after awhile. It made getting over those few rough
spots worth it.

In all the
> games I've ever played - dozens and dozens over the last 10 years, it has
> never happened before that I have disliked as game so much, yet ended up
> liking it. It took quite a while into the game before I got to like it
> though -;) The game has a lot to offer in imagination and the graphics are
> beautifully done. I especially liked the characters ast the start of the
> game. My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?

I guess Twinsen. He was brave, courageous and learned to throw that ball
like a major leaguer.

It's quite different from any other game I've played- very unique. My
> daughter is playing it at the moment and complains about the same things I
> did, and says it requires so much patience. So I said to her "the game is
> not for everybody - maybe its not for you" = sound familiar? haha

;-)
Jeanne

MaryJ

Jan 30, 2001, 12:39:41 AM1/30/01

> > > MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote
> > Jeanne - remember for quite a while after I was into the game, I asked
for
> > hint on the NG, and you gave me a hint and I was complaining so much
about
> > dying all the time in the game and having to jump onto ledges all the
time
> > and killing guards, etc. and you said something like
> > "the game is not for everyone, maybe its a game you just don't like",
>
> Yes, I do remember saying that. I felt so badly that you really didn't
like
> the game...and I do so love TO. I also remember giving you some "cheats"
> get you through...but I don't think you wanted to use them. You were going
> to battle your way through! And you did!

Well, I did cheat quite a few times in the game. I battled and cheated - ;)

> I remember getting stuck in most of the places you were stuck. I was *so*
> frustrated throwing that #@%&@ ball and not connecting that I could really
> relate to your frustration.
> But you're right, it's the whole TO world and the characters AND the music
> that just enchant you after awhile. It made getting over those few rough
> spots worth it.

I remember the first time I got *really* stuck in the game and that was the
time you gave me some help. Remember the part about Twinsen need to hit a
switch with the ball beyond those barrels? I tried and tried and could never
figure out why I couldn't hit that switch. It was so annoying because the
ball would *almost* hit the switch and you felt that maybe the next time and
the next time, you might hit it. Thats when you told me that I probably
don't have enough magic and that is why I can't hit the switch. So I went
and got more magic and that was the problem just as you said. I was then
able to hit the switch with no problem. I found the game so confusing for
quite a while about magic, health, etc.

> In all the
> > games I've ever played - dozens and dozens over the last 10 years, it
has
> > never happened before that I have disliked as game so much, yet ended up
> > liking it. It took quite a while into the game before I got to like it
> > though -;) The game has a lot to offer in imagination and the graphics
are
> > beautifully done. I especially liked the characters ast the start of the
> > game. My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?
>
> I guess Twinsen. He was brave, courageous and learned to throw that ball
> like a major leaguer.

Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after Twinsen, -what
other character did you like?

> It's quite different from any other game I've played- very unique. My
> > daughter is playing it at the moment and complains about the same things
> > did, and says it requires so much patience. So I said to her "the game
is
> > not for everybody - maybe its not for you" = sound familiar? haha
>
> ;-)
> Jeanne

The only thing about her though is - if a game doesn't hold her interest,
she doesn't keep persevering too long.. She just tries another game instead.
She has more unfinished games, than finished -;)

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 30, 2001, 1:50:55 AM1/30/01
MaryJ wrote:
> Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after Twinsen, -what
> other character did you like?

Zoe. On several boards and lists my username is "zoetrope",
which i based on the flower heliotrope ("turn to the sun")
and on our favorite hero's favorite heroine.

MaryJ

Jan 30, 2001, 3:24:00 PM1/30/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after
Twinsen, -what
> > other character did you like?
>
> Zoe. On several boards and lists my username is "zoetrope",
> which i based on the flower heliotrope ("turn to the sun")
> and on our favorite hero's favorite heroine.

How original! I wouldn't have thought of that.. I liked Zoe myself. I guess
I should have excluded her from when I was asking Jeanne what her favorite
character was. So outside of Twinsen and Zoe, which character did you like
the best ? -;) I think Zoe (the actress in the game) played a few different
parts in the game as per the credits. I think she was also Sendell. The
voice sounded the same. She has a good voice.

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 30, 2001, 8:17:43 PM1/30/01

MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca>
> Jeanne <jep...@worldnet.att.net> wrote ...

> I remember the first time I got *really* stuck in the game and that was
the
> time you gave me some help. Remember the part about Twinsen need to hit a
> switch with the ball beyond those barrels? I tried and tried and could
never
> figure out why I couldn't hit that switch. It was so annoying because the
> ball would *almost* hit the switch and you felt that maybe the next time
and
> the next time, you might hit it. Thats when you told me that I probably
> don't have enough magic and that is why I can't hit the switch. So I went
> and got more magic and that was the problem just as you said. I was then
> able to hit the switch with no problem. I found the game so confusing for
> quite a while about magic, health, etc.

That was the exact spot where I first was stuck and spent many hours
throwing the ball. I agree about being confused about the magic at first.
I didn't realize that I had to be appropriately attired in order to utilize
the magic potions.

> My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?

> > I guess Twinsen. He was brave, courageous and learned to throw that
ball
> > like a major leaguer.

> Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after
Twinsen, -what
> other character did you like?

Hmm. I guess Baldino would be the next character I would choose. I really
liked the DinoFly, though. ;-)
Jeanne

MaryJ

Jan 30, 2001, 8:37:46 PM1/30/01

> > Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after
> Twinsen, -what
> > other character did you like?
>
> Hmm. I guess Baldino would be the next character I would choose. I
really
> liked the DinoFly, though. ;-)
> Jeanne

What I thought was the funniest part of the game was when Twinsen went to
save Baldino at the space station place, and got them out of the locked room
and they all rushed to get out the other door, and Baldino says "the doors
locked - how will we get out" and the way he said it was so very comical -
he kind of whined. Then I thought he was funny when his space ship crashed
and he told Twinsen "go and get me some gas at the gasogem".

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 1:42:06 AM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> So outside of Twinsen and Zoe, which character did you like
> the best ? -;)

Perhaps we should compile a list of all the characters to choose from?
(My mind is boggling already.)

I find it hard to pick a single one apart from Twinsen, Zoe and the
Dinofly
(also a member of the family, so i suppose it should be excluded too).

Some were particularly entertaining in their respective ways.

* The elder brothers of the annoying school kids.
* The scooter driver in Lupinburg square.
* The drunk in Luc's cafe/winebar.
* The weather wizard.
* The quetch who's shyly in love with the pharmacist (Raph's sister).
* Raph's band members (whose names i always forget).
* The magic-academy master.
* His assistant. (Are we on stage or what?)
* Jerome Baldino has been mentioned: how about his spacesuit? :)
* The emperor.
* The head of the underground resistance on Zeelich. (Minds me
of Humphrey Bogart movies.)
* All of the Mosquibees.
* And the Knartas (frankfurter people).
* The other passengers on the spaceflight from Twinsun to Zeelich,
especially the "swedish" guy who's so concerned about his hair.
* The Japanese sphero from Desert Island whose umbrella was stolen.
* The rabbibunny who stole her umbrella.
* The sea captains on Twinsun and Zeelich. (They remind me of
Monkey Island and Serge's Adventures Of Tintin, as does Nebevay
from TLJ.)
* The hungry Wannee.
* The skeleton monster that had to be overcome before you could
obtain the lightning spell - or was that the spell of protection?
* The giant gorilla (another MI reference?) on the drilling platform.
* The numerous guards in the military camp on island CX.
* The sea monsters (near the refinery on Knarta island, and in the
lake on Celebration island).
* Numerous cute and not-so-cute kids of various species.
* The wacky tourists in the reception lounge at Otringal spaceport.
* The crocodiles at the casino in Otringal.
* The gambling addict at the casino.
* The officious guy at the hotel.
* The various dogs. "Yelp! Yelp! Yelp!"
* The sleeping guards in the spaceship complex.
* The poor guard who was electrocuted.
* The Grobo clone with the heavy duty rocket launcher.
* The guards on the moonbase who mob you if you go too near the corner
of the barracks.
* The resistance hero whom you briefly rescue.
* The leprechaun (or whatever he is) at the flower circle and in the
prison
cell.

> I think Zoe (the actress in the game) played a few different
> parts in the game as per the credits. I think she was also Sendell. The
> voice sounded the same. She has a good voice.

Yes, i'd describe Zoe's voice as gentle, mature, and authoritative.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 1:49:25 AM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> What I thought was the funniest part of the game was when Twinsen went to
> save Baldino at the space station place, and got them out of the locked room
> and they all rushed to get out the other door, and Baldino says "the doors
> locked - how will we get out" and the way he said it was so very comical -
> he kind of whined. Then I thought he was funny when his space ship crashed
> and he told Twinsen "go and get me some gas at the gasogem".

Yes, those were good scenes. One of my favorites was another "rush to
escape":
when Twinsen rescues Raph. Since Raph was very quick, i enjoyed
blocking his
way: i was trying to see the path he took. Unfortunately, Zoe would
always
intercept Twinsen just before the exit from the cave.

Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
set path,
but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
Zoe's efforts
to keep Twinsen on the right track. A few times i walked with her into
the sea
- which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim - with
predictable
results. (What an oversight in their education!)

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 1:50:04 AM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > So outside of Twinsen and Zoe, which character did you like
> > the best ? -;)
>
> Perhaps we should compile a list of all the characters to choose from?
> (My mind is boggling already.)
>
> I find it hard to pick a single one apart from Twinsen, Zoe and the
> Dinofly
> (also a member of the family, so i suppose it should be excluded too).
>
> Some were particularly entertaining in their respective ways.
>
> * The elder brothers of the annoying school kids.
> * The scooter driver in Lupinburg square.
> * The drunk in Luc's cafe/winebar.
> * The weather wizard.
> * The quetch who's shyly in love with the pharmacist (Raph's sister).

snipped rest of long list -;).

Now, I am not so sure I should have asked that question - well I DID ask
didn't I? - haha

Geoffrey, you have an amazing memory for all the characters in the game. To
tell you truth I don't know anything like the amount of names of characters
in the game, or the place names you know. How do you know all those names
and I didn't even know about a quetch till you mentioned it a while back.

By the way, who isi the quetch who is in locve with the pharmacist? and how
do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember hearing or
reading that in the game.

I just played the game. It was enough without trying to memorize all the
names you did -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 1:52:51 AM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > What I thought was the funniest part of the game was when Twinsen went
> > save Baldino at the space station place, and got them out of the locked
room
> > and they all rushed to get out the other door, and Baldino says "the
doors
> > locked - how will we get out" and the way he said it was so very
comical -
> > he kind of whined. Then I thought he was funny when his space ship
crashed
> > and he told Twinsen "go and get me some gas at the gasogem".
>
> Yes, those were good scenes. One of my favorites was another "rush to
> escape":
> when Twinsen rescues Raph. Since Raph was very quick, i enjoyed
> blocking his
> way: i was trying to see the path he took. Unfortunately, Zoe would
> always
> intercept Twinsen just before the exit from the cave.

I tried to see where Raph went too, but like you, never found out.

> Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
> set path,
> but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
> Zoe's efforts
> to keep Twinsen on the right track.

Was that the part they strolled along under their umbrella? That was one of
the cutest parts of the game. I liked it.

A few times i walked with her into
> the sea
> - which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim - with
> predictable
> results. (What an oversight in their education!)

The game wouldn't have been so challenging if they could swimk - especially
if Twinsen could swim.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 8:46:14 PM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Geoffrey, you have an amazing memory for all the characters in the game.

When i was a college tutor (1983-84) i memorised the names of the 500 or
so residents over those 2 years. Also most of their faces and for many
of them, a little about their interests, cultural and educational
background, subjects, likes and dislikes, and circles of friends.
All part of the job. Until then, i was more of a loner.

> tell you truth I don't know anything like the amount of names of characters
> in the game, or the place names you know. How do you know all those names
> and I didn't even know about a quetch till you mentioned it a while back.

When i first played TO (about '96 or '97) there was more discussion
about it
in the newsgroups. We learn a lot here.

Also, the second time i played TO i explored more and spoke to
characters
more often. For background information, it's helpful to revisit them
after you've completed a task.

> By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?

I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?

(*) To the right as you face the tent flap.

> and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> hearing or reading that in the game.

If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
deserved it.

In Lupinburg there are very mixed opinions about Raph: those who are
fond of his style of music like him, others think he's a useless misfit,
while a third group don't hold any particular view.

> I just played the game. It was enough without trying to memorize all the
> names you did -;)

What's the name of the Queen of the Mosquibees? <teasing>

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 8:51:35 PM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> > Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
> > set path,
> > but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
> > Zoe's efforts
> > to keep Twinsen on the right track.
>
> Was that the part they strolled along under their umbrella?

Yes.

> That was one of the cutest parts of the game. I liked it.

There are 3 words for Twinsen's Odyssey: cute, cuter, cutest.

> A few times i walked with her into
> > the sea
> > - which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim - with
> > predictable
> > results. (What an oversight in their education!)
>

> The game wouldn't have been so challenging if they could swim - especially
> if Twinsen could swim.

I suppose it would have diminished the value of the jet pack,
but steep cliffs, molten lava, weapons fire, monsters, and
other sea-land boundary obstacles, would have taken care of that.

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 9:55:10 PM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > > Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
> > > set path,
> > > but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
> > > Zoe's efforts
> > > to keep Twinsen on the right track.
> >
> > Was that the part they strolled along under their umbrella?
>
> Yes.
>
> > That was one of the cutest parts of the game. I liked it.
>
> There are 3 words for Twinsen's Odyssey: cute, cuter, cutest.
>
> > A few times i walked with her into
> > > the sea
> > > - which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim -
with
> > > predictable
> > > results. (What an oversight in their education!)
> >
> > The game wouldn't have been so challenging if they could swim -
especially
> > if Twinsen could swim.
>
> I suppose it would have diminished the value of the jet pack,
> but steep cliffs, molten lava, weapons fire, monsters, and
> other sea-land boundary obstacles, would have taken care of that.

Yes, but the jet pack was a fun part of the game.

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 31, 2001, 9:59:08 PM1/31/01
> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote

> > I suppose it would have diminished the value of the jet pack,
> > but steep cliffs, molten lava, weapons fire, monsters, and
> > other sea-land boundary obstacles, would have taken care of that.

> Yes, but the jet pack was a fun part of the game.
> MaryJ

Oh yes. I was just enchanted by the jetpack. I remember playing with it
just for the fun of it. Not really going anywhere...just floating along.
I think I'm going to fire up the game again. All this talk has made me
nostalgic for TO again. ;-)
Jeanne

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 10:00:41 PM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > Geoffrey, you have an amazing memory for all the characters in the game.
>
> When i was a college tutor (1983-84) i memorised the names of the 500 or
> so residents over those 2 years. Also most of their faces and for many
> of them, a little about their interests, cultural and educational
> background, subjects, likes and dislikes, and circles of friends.
> All part of the job. Until then, i was more of a loner.

Loner or not, I don't know how you memorized all those peoples interests,
etc.

> > tell you truth I don't know anything like the amount of names of
characters
> > in the game, or the place names you know. How do you know all those
names
> > and I didn't even know about a quetch till you mentioned it a while
back.

> When i first played TO (about '96 or '97) there was more discussion
> about it
> in the newsgroups. We learn a lot here.

Yes, that would certainly help,

> > By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?
>
> I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
> He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
> of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?
>
> (*) To the right as you face the tent flap.
>
> > and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> > hearing or reading that in the game.
>
> If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
> but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
> opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
> care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
> that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
> deserved it.

Wait a minute here - who is in love with who. You said in your paragraph
above that the pharmacist (female) had a bad opinion of her lazy no good
brother, but wasn't the brother the one near the wizards tent? but then
didn't you say he was mooning over the pharmacist. But if the pharmacist is
his sister, that can't be right? Did you mean that Raph is in love with the
pharmacisst?

> > I just played the game. It was enough without trying to memorize all the
> > names you did -;)
>
> What's the name of the Queen of the Mosquibees? <teasing>

I haven't the faintest idea but I'm sure you will tell me -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 1:22:02 AM2/1/01
Jeanne <jep...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Don't tell me that me and Geoffrey got you going on TO again Jeanne -LOL. I
liked the part about the super jetpack when Baldino gave it to Twinsen and
Twinsen had to jump on those rocks. The first time you play that game is
much more challenging than the second time, but its still worth playing
again. The first time I played the game, it took me ages and ages to jump
over these rocks from where Baldino crashed.

I played the game for the second time not long ago. My daughter has had the
game for about 3 weeks and still at the start of the game trying to get the
umbrella. I don't think she is very interested in the game - can you
imagine??

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 3:38:11 PM2/1/01
"MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote in message
> > MaryJ wrote
> > > By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?
> >
> > I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
> > He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
> > of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?
> >
> > (*) To the right as you face the tent flap.
> >
> > > and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> > > hearing or reading that in the game.
> >
> > If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
> > but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
> > opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
> > care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
> > that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
> > deserved it.
>
> Wait a minute here - who is in love with who. You said in your paragraph
> above that the pharmacist (female) had a bad opinion of her lazy no good
> brother, but wasn't the brother the one near the wizards tent? but then
> didn't you say he was mooning over the pharmacist. But if the pharmacist
is
> his sister, that can't be right? Did you mean that Raph is in love with
the
> pharmacist?

The guy near the wizard's tent is in love with the pharmacist.
Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.
I think the Tralu ate Raph's guitar.

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 4:02:34 PM2/1/01

> The first time I played the game, it took me a long time to figure out
about
> the lift and how to get the boxes up and down. I can't say exactly how
long,
> but I did have to look at the walklthrough and then when I did get it
right,
> my own solution was different than the walkthrough anyway - since I
couldn't
> seem to figure it the same way as the walkthrough, so I think there are a
> few different ways of getting the boxes up and down. The second time it
> still took me a while,but not as long as the first time around. I figured
> out how to work the lift quickly, it was the boxes which gave me trouble

and
> the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim.

I'm trying to think how you'd get around to push the box that started
out near the left side elevator if you didn't jump the spikes. Did
you push the box that was on the floor onto the elevator, push
the elevator button, and somehow jump onto the elevator with the
box before it got too high?

> When I pushed
> the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be the
> most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find that
> to be a problem?

Sort of a nuisance, but not unsolvable. You have to get around
behind the box to push it. Sometimes you could push it diagonally
for a little while, but eventually Twinsen would lose his grip. And
then he'd grab the box and push it where you didn't want him to
unless you backed away from the box first. I never figured out
how to get him to pull the box properly. That always seemed
to happen by accident when I didn't want it to.

When I saw the lazy guy wasn't going to let me watch him load
the box, I got disgusted and went back to a save and figured out
the puzzle myself. I found the key by accident. I thought maybe
jumping on top of that little box that was on top of the 2 black crates
would allow me to jump somewhere else and maybe find a
switch. Instead the box disappeared and there was that key.
Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 5:21:50 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > The first time I played the game, it took me a long time to figure out
> about
> > the lift and how to get the boxes up and down. I can't say exactly how
> long,
> > but I did have to look at the walklthrough and then when I did get it
> right,
> > my own solution was different than the walkthrough anyway - since I
> couldn't
> > seem to figure it the same way as the walkthrough, so I think there are
> > few different ways of getting the boxes up and down. The second time it
> > still took me a while,but not as long as the first time around. I
figured
> > out how to work the lift quickly, it was the boxes which gave me trouble
> and
> > the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim.
>
> I'm trying to think how you'd get around to push the box that started
> out near the left side elevator if you didn't jump the spikes. Did
> you push the box that was on the floor onto the elevator, push
> the elevator button, and somehow jump onto the elevator with the
> box before it got too high?

I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game. As near as
I can recall, I pushed the box onto the elevator and stood as far over to
the left side of the elevator as possible and threw the ball in discreet
mode so it would hit the switch.

Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and ages to
get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes though -:)

> > When I pushed
> > the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> > direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be
the
> > most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> > baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> > frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find
that
> > to be a problem?
>
> Sort of a nuisance, but not unsolvable. You have to get around
> behind the box to push it. Sometimes you could push it diagonally
> for a little while, but eventually Twinsen would lose his grip. And
> then he'd grab the box and push it where you didn't want him to
> unless you backed away from the box first. I never figured out
> how to get him to pull the box properly. That always seemed
> to happen by accident when I didn't want it to.

that was the problem I had - I would push the box, but when I would take my
finger off the mouse button, the box had moved in a direction I didn't want
it to. It seemed like a minor glitch in the game itself. I don't think the
box should have moved when I took my finger off the mouse button.

I saw the lazy guy wasn't going to let me watch him load
> the box, I got disgusted and went back to a save and figured out
> the puzzle myself. I found the key by accident. I thought maybe
> jumping on top of that little box that was on top of the 2 black crates
> would allow me to jump somewhere else and maybe find a
> switch. Instead the box disappeared and there was that key.

You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you? you got
the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that? I
lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go the way
I needed it to go and just went out and got more money and paid the guy. (by
the way, everybody keeps calling him lazy - maybe he was just on his break).

> Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.

what postal worker?

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 5:25:35 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Yes, wasn't that the guy around the corner from the wizards tent, sitting
by the tree - he is in love with the pharmacist. right?

> Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.

What did Raphs fiancee look like? I don't remember her at this moment.

> I think the Tralu ate Raph's guitar.

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 6:56:00 PM2/1/01

> > The guy near the wizard's tent is in love with the pharmacist.
>
> Yes, wasn't that the guy around the corner from the wizards tent,
sitting
> by the tree - he is in love with the pharmacist. right?

That's what he said. I think he also moaned something about
wishing he could play music like what he heard coming from
around the Corniche, so he could impress her with it.

> > Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.
>
> What did Raphs fiancee look like? I don't remember her at this moment.

Kind of like Raph in a dress IMHO. Those skinny critters
all look alike to me.

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 7:13:50 PM2/1/01

> I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game.

I had a few accidents first. But Twinsen jumps further when he's
running, just like Lara.

> As near as
> I can recall, I pushed the box onto the elevator and stood as far over to
> the left side of the elevator as possible and threw the ball in discreet
> mode so it would hit the switch.

OK.

> Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and ages
> get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes
though -:)

I use the codes to refresh Twinsen after fights and accidents.
I don't like repeating the same thing over and over, especially
when it's fighting or stupid things like stepping in the water.
He even drowned when he drove the car into shallow water.

> > Sort of a nuisance, but not unsolvable. You have to get around
> > behind the box to push it. Sometimes you could push it diagonally
> > for a little while, but eventually Twinsen would lose his grip. And
> > then he'd grab the box and push it where you didn't want him to
> > unless you backed away from the box first. I never figured out
> > how to get him to pull the box properly. That always seemed
> > to happen by accident when I didn't want it to.
>
> that was the problem I had - I would push the box, but when I would take
my
> finger off the mouse button,

Mouse button? You meant the arrow key, don't you.

> the box had moved in a direction I didn't want
> it to. It seemed like a minor glitch in the game itself. I don't think the
> box should have moved when I took my finger off the mouse button.

I didn't notice the box moving that way. As long as I backed
Twinsen away from the box before turning him he seemed
to leave the box alone.

> You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you?

Yup. First I cheated to get the money, then I decided if I couldn't
watch him sweat I was going to do the job myself and keep my
ill gotten gains. ;«)

> you got
> the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that? I
> lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go the
way
> I needed it to go and just went out and got more money and paid the guy.

You have to figure out how to push the box efficiently. Once you do
that, the puzzle isn't that hard to figure out. The part that held me
up was figuring out how to get the box through the locked doorway -
until I found the key.

> (by
> the way, everybody keeps calling him lazy - maybe he was just on his
break).

He was probably supposed to move packages as part of his
job, but was charging people for it.

> > Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> > What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.
>
> what postal worker?

Whoever that guy was who was trying to block the way to
the black door that was locked - the one I needed the key for.
Maybe you didn't get the box that far along.

> MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 10:36:44 PM2/1/01

> "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> > I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game.
>
> I had a few accidents first. But Twinsen jumps further when he's
> running, just like Lara.

Yeah, I guess I didn't run far enough or jump at the right time.
I never played Tomb Raider. not my kind of game.

> > Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and ages
> > get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes
> though -:)
>
> I use the codes to refresh Twinsen after fights and accidents.
> I don't like repeating the same thing over and over, especially
> when it's fighting or stupid things like stepping in the water.
> He even drowned when he drove the car into shallow water.

you cheater -;)

> > that was the problem I had - I would push the box, but when I would take
> my
> > finger off the mouse button,
>
> Mouse button? You meant the arrow key, don't you.

Yes, I mean the arrow key.

> > the box had moved in a direction I didn't want
> > it to. It seemed like a minor glitch in the game itself. I don't think
the
> > box should have moved when I took my finger off the mouse button.
>
> I didn't notice the box moving that way. As long as I backed
> Twinsen away from the box before turning him he seemed
> to leave the box alone.

I couldn't seem to make a clean break. The box seemed to stick to Twinsen.

> > You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you?
>
> Yup. First I cheated to get the money, then I decided if I couldn't
> watch him sweat I was going to do the job myself and keep my
> ill gotten gains. ;«)

> > you got
> > the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that? I
> > lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go the
> way
> > I needed it to go and just went out and got more money and paid the guy.
>
> You have to figure out how to push the box efficiently. Once you do
> that, the puzzle isn't that hard to figure out. The part that held me
> up was figuring out how to get the box through the locked doorway -
> until I found the key.

Well, I never got that far, because it took forever to try to maneuvre the
box around the place. I probably got as little more than; half way through
and gave up.

> > (by
> > the way, everybody keeps calling him lazy - maybe he was just on his
> break).
>
> He was probably supposed to move packages as part of his
> job, but was charging people for it.

You're probably right.

> > > Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> > > What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.
> >
> > what postal worker?
>
> Whoever that guy was who was trying to block the way to
> the black door that was locked - the one I needed the key for.
> Maybe you didn't get the box that far along.

No, I never got that far so never saw him. There was enough other annoying
people in the game to punch out though -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 10:41:01 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

The only person I can remember around the lighthouse was the guy going on
about being in love with the pharmacist. I don't remember Raphs fiancee at
the lighthouse? where was she at the lighhouse?

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 1, 2001, 10:49:11 PM2/1/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:

> > > By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?
> >
> > I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
> > He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
> > of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?
> >
> > (*) To the right as you face the tent flap.
> >
> > > and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> > > hearing or reading that in the game.
> >
> > If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
> > but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
> > opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
> > care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
> > that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
> > deserved it.
>
> Wait a minute here - who is in love with who. You said in your paragraph
> above that the pharmacist (female) had a bad opinion of her lazy no good
> brother, but wasn't the brother the one near the wizards tent? ...

The pharmacist is Raph's sister. Raph was imprisoned by the Tralu in
the
cave, so he's going nowhere till Twinsen rescues him. The quetch who's
infatuated with the pharmacist is beyond (and to the right of) the
wizard's
tent.

Before the tent, toward the left, there's a Grobo (elephant) named "Zed"
who sounds feeble-minded, but good-natured: he spends his time admiring
the mushrooms that sprout up in the rain.

It's still raining because the weather wizard needs access to the
lighthouse
and Raph's the only one with the key, but the Tralu has other plans for
Raph.

> > What's the name of the Queen of the Mosquibees? <teasing>
>
> I haven't the faintest idea but I'm sure you will tell me -;)

If i ever discover her name i will happily inform you.

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 1, 2001, 10:56:57 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 wrote:

> The guy near the wizard's tent is in love with the pharmacist.
> Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.

That's right, she's at the bench, worried sick because Raph
didn't show for their tryst.

> I think the Tralu ate Raph's guitar.

Heh, possibly a good thing.

One of Raph's musical friends is named "Pat". I think that's
the Sphero. I still haven't remembered the girl's name.
"Cool! That music rocks!" :) Pity about the silent LBA track:
the floating notes look so good!

I suspect that Raph is a young adult, younger than his sister
the pharmacist, because of her dismissive tone, and the obvious
youth of his fellow band member what's-her-name.

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 1, 2001, 11:00:55 PM2/1/01
MaryJ wrote:

> My daughter has had the
> game for about 3 weeks and still at the start of the game trying to get the
> umbrella. I don't think she is very interested in the game - can you
> imagine??

Tell her the rest of the game is fabulous, especially the ending
which will blow her apathetic socks off!

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 11:00:51 PM2/1/01
Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote in message

Ah Geoffrey. This is your time of night to turn up here. It is 11 pm EST but
something like 3 pm down under. Are you on your coffee break??

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the above. (I had forgotten who was related to
who and who was in love with who -;) I just finished a message to Jenny
asking about the guy near the lighthouse (he was sitting by the tree) -
thats the guy who loves the pharmacist and doesn't he say something about he
heard nice music from near the cliffs or something? there are so many things
to remember about that game.

> Before the tent, toward the left, there's a Grobo (elephant) named "Zed"
> who sounds feeble-minded, but good-natured: he spends his time admiring
> the mushrooms that sprout up in the rain.

thats the elephant just outside the wizards tent. I remember him at
least -;) I remember about his name being Zed, but didn't know he was a
Grobo. There are a lot of elephants in the game everywhere you go,
especially in the stores.

> It's still raining because the weather wizard needs access to the
> lighthouse
> and Raph's the only one with the key, but the Tralu has other plans for
> Raph.
>
> > > What's the name of the Queen of the Mosquibees? <teasing>
> >
> > I haven't the faintest idea but I'm sure you will tell me -;)
>
> If i ever discover her name i will happily inform you.

If you don't know her name, she probably doesn't have one.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 1, 2001, 11:11:48 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 wrote:

> I'm trying to think how you'd get around to push the box that started
> out near the left side elevator if you didn't jump the spikes. Did
> you push the box that was on the floor onto the elevator, push
> the elevator button, and somehow jump onto the elevator with the
> box before it got too high?

I've done that! I've built steps out of the boxes just to get to the
other side (to the right of the spikes) without having to jump the
spikes.

But once i learnt to time my running jump, it was easier to clear the
spikes.

This is what i prefer about TO over most adventure games: not only
is there more than one solution to a problem, there are as many
solutions as there would be in real life, pretty much.

OK, so Twinsen can't swim, and you can't blow holes in walls, or pull
crates apart with your bare hands, but short of the disassembly
options, the physics is thoroughly modelled.

> Sort of a nuisance, but not unsolvable. You have to get around
> behind the box to push it. Sometimes you could push it diagonally
> for a little while, but eventually Twinsen would lose his grip. And
> then he'd grab the box and push it where you didn't want him to
> unless you backed away from the box first. I never figured out
> how to get him to pull the box properly. That always seemed
> to happen by accident when I didn't want it to.

That's practice too. As you say, gripping a large crate isn't
easy, but eventually i got the hang of it, most of the time.

April Ryan never got to learn fun things like that! :)

> When I saw the lazy guy wasn't going to let me watch him load
> the box, I got disgusted

I was also a little disappointed that there wasn't more exploration
of the postal building at that point.

> and went back to a save and figured out
> the puzzle myself. I found the key by accident. I thought maybe
> jumping on top of that little box that was on top of the 2 black crates

Hopefully that detailed description will suffice to find it. :)

> would allow me to jump somewhere else and maybe find a
> switch.

The old routine, eh?

> Instead the box disappeared and there was that key.
> Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.

Heheh, heheh, heheh. Psychologically ergonomic design. :)

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 11:11:08 PM2/1/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > My daughter has had the
> > game for about 3 weeks and still at the start of the game trying to get
the
> > umbrella. I don't think she is very interested in the game - can you
> > imagine??
>
> Tell her the rest of the game is fabulous, especially the ending
> which will blow her apathetic socks off!

I have to admit the ending of the game is one of the best game endings I
have ever seen. I have seen a similar type game ending, but it would be
unfair to mention the name of the game here,
even though its very unlikely that anyone is likely to be playing it.

However, my daughter will never get that far, because if a game is not her
type of game (whatevere that is) she does not continue on. A few games that
she actually finished (off the top of my head) are: Gabriel Knight 1 and 2,
Fate of Atlantis (she loved that one), Phantasmagoria 1, Monkey Island 1 and
2, KQ 5,6,7, Day of the Tentacle, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora
Directive -lots of others, but not nearly as many as I've played.

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 11:14:06 PM2/1/01

> Jenny100 wrote:
> > The guy near the wizard's tent is in love with the pharmacist.
> > Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.
>
> That's right, she's at the bench, worried sick because Raph
> didn't show for their tryst.

I thought I had this settled in my mind, now I don't know. do you mean that
Raphs fiance is near the lighthouse (as well as the guy in love with the
pharmacist?) - I just remember the guy under the tree. I don't remember
seeinjg someone at a bench...

> One of Raph's musical friends is named "Pat". I think that's
> the Sphero. I still haven't remembered the girl's name.
> "Cool! That music rocks!" :) Pity about the silent LBA track:
> the floating notes look so good!

Where did you get that information?

> I suspect that Raph is a young adult, younger than his sister
> the pharmacist, because of her dismissive tone, and the obvious
> youth of his fellow band member what's-her-name.

?? don't know.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 1, 2001, 11:21:18 PM2/1/01
MaryJ wrote:

> I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game. As near as
> I can recall, I pushed the box onto the elevator and stood as far over to
> the left side of the elevator as possible and threw the ball in discreet
> mode so it would hit the switch.

I've done that, too. No wonder i take so long to finish a game,
especially one with so many possibilities as TO. :)

> Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and ages to
> get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes though -:)

Codes? There are cheat codes for TO? Why?

> ... I would push the box, but when I would take my

> finger off the mouse button, the box had moved in a direction I didn't want
> it to. It seemed like a minor glitch in the game itself. I don't think the
> box should have moved when I took my finger off the mouse button.

Mouse?

> I saw the lazy guy wasn't going to let me watch him load
> > the box, I got disgusted and went back to a save and figured out
> > the puzzle myself. I found the key by accident. I thought maybe
> > jumping on top of that little box that was on top of the 2 black crates
> > would allow me to jump somewhere else and maybe find a
> > switch. Instead the box disappeared and there was that key.
>
> You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you? you got
> the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that? I
> lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go the way
> I needed it to go

First few times, i found it physically impossible to overcome the
strength
of the conveyor belts, especially the last one. But eventually i must
have got (keyboard) muscles because the manoeuvring got to be almost
easy.

> and just went out and got more money and paid the guy. (by
> the way, everybody keeps calling him lazy - maybe he was just on his break).

How long is his break? All day, every day, unless heavily bribed!
He's not only lazy, he's corrupt.

> > Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> > What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.
>
> what postal worker?

The one guarding the door far right of the conveyor belts.
The door you need the key to pass - after Twinsen has
karated him.

MaryJ

Feb 2, 2001, 12:07:12 AM2/2/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >

> > I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game. As
near as
> > I can recall, I pushed the box onto the elevator and stood as far over
> > the left side of the elevator as possible and threw the ball in discreet
> > mode so it would hit the switch.
>
> I've done that, too. No wonder i take so long to finish a game,
> especially one with so many possibilities as TO. :)

Well, as long as it works, even though it took a long time.

> > Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and ages
> > get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes
though -:)

> Codes? There are cheat codes for TO? Why?

you can type in MAGIC, HEALTH, etc - different things and get instant magic
and health. I never tried themk - to tell the truth I forgot about them Tthe
cheat codes are available on some cheat sites.
.

> > ... I would push the box, but when I would take my
> > finger off the mouse button, the box had moved in a direction I didn't
want
> > it to. It seemed like a minor glitch in the game itself. I don't think
the
> > box should have moved when I took my finger off the mouse button.
>
> Mouse?

Errr, I mean keyboard. I am so used to using the mouse in games.

> > You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you? you
got
> > the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that? I
> > lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go the
way
> > I needed it to go
>
> First few times, i found it physically impossible to overcome the
> strength
> of the conveyor belts, especially the last one. But eventually i must
> have got (keyboard) muscles because the manoeuvring got to be almost
> easy.

So did you finally get the box out of the baggage place without having to
pay?
Didn't you say before when you played the game that you paid to get the box?

> > > Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> > > What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.
> >
> > what postal worker?
>
> The one guarding the door far right of the conveyor belts.
> The door you need the key to pass - after Twinsen has
> karated him.

I never saw the postal worker since I didn't get that far with the box. I
paid the lazy guy to get the box for me. Maybe next time I will try and see
if I can get the box through the area myself.

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 2, 2001, 1:38:42 AM2/2/01

> The only person I can remember around the lighthouse was the guy going on
> about being in love with the pharmacist. I don't remember Raphs fiancee at
> the lighthouse? where was she at the lighhouse?

The guy who was in love with the pharmacist was sitting behind the
weather wizard's tent on the other side of the island.

> MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 2, 2001, 1:57:55 AM2/2/01

> Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
>
> > > I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game.
> >
> > I had a few accidents first. But Twinsen jumps further when he's
> > running, just like Lara.
>
> Yeah, I guess I didn't run far enough or jump at the right time.

You really only need to run a couple of steps before jumping,
but timing the jump is important. Too soon, and he doesn't
jump far enough. Too late, and he doesn't jump at all and lands
on the spikes instead.

> I never played Tomb Raider. not my kind of game.

I played the first one.

> > > Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and
ages
> > > get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes
> > though -:)
> >
> > I use the codes to refresh Twinsen after fights and accidents.
> > I don't like repeating the same thing over and over, especially
> > when it's fighting or stupid things like stepping in the water.
> > He even drowned when he drove the car into shallow water.
>
> you cheater -;)

hehe.
You do want your game back someday, don't you?
If I didn't cheat, I'd never get done with it. I can't seem to
figure out how to dodge alien zap guns or monster spit.

> I couldn't seem to make a clean break.
> The box seemed to stick to Twinsen.

It sticks unless you back him up directly away from the box.
You may have to rotate him so he is directly facing the box
before you back him away from it.

> > > You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you?
> >
> > Yup. First I cheated to get the money, then I decided if I couldn't
> > watch him sweat I was going to do the job myself and keep my
> > ill gotten gains. ;«)
>
> > > you got
> > > the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that?
> > > lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go
the
> > way
> > > I needed it to go and just went out and got more money and paid the
guy.

> > You have to figure out how to push the box efficiently. Once you do
> > that, the puzzle isn't that hard to figure out. The part that held me
> > up was figuring out how to get the box through the locked doorway -
> > until I found the key.
>
> Well, I never got that far, because it took forever to try to maneuvre the
> box around the place. I probably got as little more than; half way
through
> and gave up.

I'm surprised you had the patience to play the microscope puzzle
in 7th Guest for months until you got it, but you didn't figure out
how to get Twinsen to push the box around.

> > > what postal worker?
> >
> > Whoever that guy was who was trying to block the way to
> > the black door that was locked - the one I needed the key for.
> > Maybe you didn't get the box that far along.
>
> No, I never got that far so never saw him. There was enough other annoying
> people in the game to punch out though -;)

hehe

> MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 2, 2001, 2:27:52 PM2/2/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:95dln1$bb6

> > > "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> > > I had a few accidents first. But Twinsen jumps further when he's
> > > running, just like Lara.
> >
> > Yeah, I guess I didn't run far enough or jump at the right time.
>
> You really only need to run a couple of steps before jumping,
> but timing the jump is important. Too soon, and he doesn't
> jump far enough. Too late, and he doesn't jump at all and lands
> on the spikes instead.

Next time around I'll try it.

> > > I use the codes to refresh Twinsen after fights and accidents.
> > > I don't like repeating the same thing over and over, especially
> > > when it's fighting or stupid things like stepping in the water.
> > > He even drowned when he drove the car into shallow water.
> >
> > you cheater -;)
>
> hehe.
> You do want your game back someday, don't you?
> If I didn't cheat, I'd never get done with it. I can't seem to
> figure out how to dodge alien zap guns or monster spit.

I am in no hurry to get the game back - so no excuses about using cheat
codes -;)

> > > You have to figure out how to push the box efficiently. Once you do
> > > that, the puzzle isn't that hard to figure out. The part that held me
> > > up was figuring out how to get the box through the locked doorway -
> > > until I found the key.
> >
> > Well, I never got that far, because it took forever to try to maneuvre
the
> > box around the place. I probably got as little more than; half way
> through
> > and gave up.
>
> I'm surprised you had the patience to play the microscope puzzle
> in 7th Guest for months until you got it, but you didn't figure out
> how to get Twinsen to push the box around.

Oooh- your memory is too good. The microscope was different. although it was
annoying to do the same thing time after time, it was a different kind of
puzzle - not really a puzzle in a way, maybe more a matter of luck than
skill. I saw the microscope as more challenging and knew it was near the end
of the game, so I was in no hurry to solve it and get on to the next part of
the game. If it was near the start of the game, I don't know that I would
have tried to solve it for two months.

With the boxes, it wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to get Twinsen to
push the box around. That part was easy. It was when I pushed the box and
stopped, the box was still "sticking" to Twinsen so to speak. In other
words, when Twinsen stopped pushing the box, the box would move by itself
just enough to make it fall off the elevator or conveyer belt, or make it go
in a different direction just when I had put it in the right spot. Twinsen
wasn't even pushing the box, when the box would move by itself. It seemed
to be more of a problem in the baggage claim place and not so much of a
problem in the area where you had to pile up the boxes to get over to the
next room (the place where the spikes are).

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 2, 2001, 2:30:24 PM2/2/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Yes, the guy who was going on about the pharamacis was on the right hand
side of the wizards tent sitting under the tree. I remember him very well -
what I can't remember so well is, where was Raph's fiancee located at the
wizards tent? Geoffrey said something about she was at a bench.

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 2, 2001, 3:31:15 PM2/2/01

> Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
> > >

> > > The only person I can remember around the lighthouse was the guy going
> on
> > > about being in love with the pharmacist. I don't remember Raphs
fiancee
> at
> > > the lighthouse? where was she at the lighhouse?
> >
> > The guy who was in love with the pharmacist was sitting behind the
> > weather wizard's tent on the other side of the island.
>
> Yes, the guy who was going on about the pharamacis was on the right hand
> side of the wizards tent sitting under the tree. I remember him very
ell -
> what I can't remember so well is, where was Raph's fiancee located at the
> wizards tent? Geoffrey said something about she was at a bench.

Raph's fiancee was sitting on a bench behind the lighthouse, on
the other side of the island from the Weather Wizard's tent.
Later in the game she is gone (where? inside the lighthouse?)
and there is one of those aliens sitting on the bench instead.

> MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 2, 2001, 3:41:17 PM2/2/01

> Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:95dln1$bb6
>
> > hehe.
> > You do want your game back someday, don't you?
> > If I didn't cheat, I'd never get done with it. I can't seem to
> > figure out how to dodge alien zap guns or monster spit.
>
> I am in no hurry to get the game back - so no excuses about using cheat
> codes -;)

How about the excuse about the sore wrist and fingers of my
right hand? I told you about how I often have to cross my hands
so my left hand is operating the movement keys. My left hand
may not have the tendon problems that my right one does, but
it is klutzier and less able to aim accurately. But if I use my
right hand all the time for fighting sequences, it gets too painful
to play, especially since even with my right hand I'd have to
play them over and over in order to get through with enough
magic to overwhelm the remaining enemies.

> > I'm surprised you had the patience to play the microscope puzzle
> > in 7th Guest for months until you got it, but you didn't figure out
> > how to get Twinsen to push the box around.
>
> Oooh- your memory is too good. The microscope was different. although it
was
> annoying to do the same thing time after time, it was a different kind of
> puzzle - not really a puzzle in a way, maybe more a matter of luck than
> skill. I saw the microscope as more challenging and knew it was near the
end
> of the game, so I was in no hurry to solve it and get on to the next part
of
> the game. If it was near the start of the game, I don't know that I would
> have tried to solve it for two months.
>
> With the boxes, it wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to get Twinsen to
> push the box around. That part was easy. It was when I pushed the box and
> stopped, the box was still "sticking" to Twinsen so to speak. In other
> words, when Twinsen stopped pushing the box, the box would move by itself
> just enough to make it fall off the elevator or conveyer belt, or make it
go
> in a different direction just when I had put it in the right spot. Twinsen
> wasn't even pushing the box, when the box would move by itself. It seemed
> to be more of a problem in the baggage claim place and not so much of a
> problem in the area where you had to pile up the boxes to get over to the
> next room (the place where the spikes are).

Sticky Twinsen huh? When he's touching the box, he'll move it
when he turns away. You just have to experiment with it. Back him
directly away from the box and he won't stick. If he's at an angle
to the box, he may stick.

> MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 2, 2001, 6:50:16 PM2/2/01

> "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
> > Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:95dln1$bb6
> >
> > > hehe.
> > > You do want your game back someday, don't you?
> > > If I didn't cheat, I'd never get done with it. I can't seem to
> > > figure out how to dodge alien zap guns or monster spit.
> >
> > I am in no hurry to get the game back - so no excuses about using cheat
> > codes -;)
>
> How about the excuse about the sore wrist and fingers of my
> right hand? I told you about how I often have to cross my hands
> so my left hand is operating the movement keys. My left hand
> may not have the tendon problems that my right one does, but
> it is klutzier and less able to aim accurately. But if I use my
> right hand all the time for fighting sequences, it gets too painful
> to play, especially since even with my right hand I'd have to
> play them over and over in order to get through with enough
> magic to overwhelm the remaining enemies.

I see your point. I guess games that use the keyboard make your wrist and
fingers hurt more. I have problems with tendons on my right wrist from
leaning my hand on the computer desk and clicking on the mouse for the last
ten years -;) I found when playing TO that it bothered my wrist more than
when using the mouse does- from the repetitious left arrow/right arrow,
up/down arrows. But maybe your fingers and wrist hurt more than mine. So I
can understand your problem. Its OK if you use the codes Jenny.

> > in a different direction just when I had put it in the right spot.
Twinsen
> > wasn't even pushing the box, when the box would move by itself. It
seemed
> > to be more of a problem in the baggage claim place and not so much of a
> > problem in the area where you had to pile up the boxes to get over to
the
> > next room (the place where the spikes are).
>
> Sticky Twinsen huh? When he's touching the box, he'll move it
> when he turns away. You just have to experiment with it. Back him
> directly away from the box and he won't stick. If he's at an angle
> to the box, he may stick.

Did you notice this stickiness when Twinsen was moving boxes? Yes, he moves
it when he turns away. I guess maybe backing up would have helped. It was
just at parts where he had to move boxes that I got this stickiness problem.

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 2, 2001, 7:28:57 PM2/2/01

> "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
> > Yes, the guy who was going on about the pharamacis was on the right hand
> > side of the wizards tent sitting under the tree. I remember him very
> ell -
> > what I can't remember so well is, where was Raph's fiancee located at
the
> > wizards tent? Geoffrey said something about she was at a bench.
>
> Raph's fiancee was sitting on a bench behind the lighthouse, on
> the other side of the island from the Weather Wizard's tent.

Thats the part you wrote above that threw me (about the fiancee was sitting
behind the lighthouse on the *other island*) - aren't both the fiancee and
the the lovesick guy both near the wizards tent, both on Twinsun island?

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 2, 2001, 8:20:27 PM2/2/01

> Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
> > > Yes, the guy who was going on about the pharamacis was on the right
hand
> > > side of the wizards tent sitting under the tree. I remember him very
> > ell -
> > > what I can't remember so well is, where was Raph's fiancee located at
> the
> > > wizards tent? Geoffrey said something about she was at a bench.
> >
> > Raph's fiancee was sitting on a bench behind the lighthouse, on
> > the other side of the island from the Weather Wizard's tent.
>
> Thats the part you wrote above that threw me (about the fiancee was
sitting
> behind the lighthouse on the *other island*) - aren't both the fiancee and
> the the lovesick guy both near the wizards tent, both on Twinsun island?

They're on the same island, but on different sides of the island.
The lighthouse is on one end of the island.
The Weather Wizard's tent is on the other end of the island.
Check it out next time you play the game.

> MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 2, 2001, 8:39:31 PM2/2/01

> Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >

> > How about the excuse about the sore wrist and fingers of my
> > right hand? I told you about how I often have to cross my hands
> > so my left hand is operating the movement keys. My left hand
> > may not have the tendon problems that my right one does, but
> > it is klutzier and less able to aim accurately. But if I use my
> > right hand all the time for fighting sequences, it gets too painful
> > to play, especially since even with my right hand I'd have to
> > play them over and over in order to get through with enough
> > magic to overwhelm the remaining enemies.
>
> I see your point. I guess games that use the keyboard make your wrist and
> fingers hurt more.

Not always. Sometimes mouse games can be just as bad.

> I have problems with tendons on my right wrist from
> leaning my hand on the computer desk and clicking on the mouse for the
last
> ten years -;)

My problems started when I broke that arm. It's never been the
same since. It's always been prone to get tendon problems since
the radius bone didn't heal quite right. The wrist has also been
operated on twice to remove ganglion cysts that formed. So
there's a lot of scar tissue in there interfering with things.

> I found when playing TO that it bothered my wrist more than
> when using the mouse does- from the repetitious left arrow/right arrow,
> up/down arrows. But maybe your fingers and wrist hurt more than mine.
> So I can understand your problem. Its OK if you use the codes Jenny.

hehe
Well I can always switch hands, but then my reflexes aren't so
hot with the left hand and I can't seem to be figure out how to
use the x key to dodge. Twinsen jumps right into the path of
the bullets instead of avoiding them. Once he did a cartwheel.
I haven't figured what I did to make him do it again though.

> > Sticky Twinsen huh? When he's touching the box, he'll move it
> > when he turns away. You just have to experiment with it. Back him
> > directly away from the box and he won't stick. If he's at an angle
> > to the box, he may stick.
>
> Did you notice this stickiness when Twinsen was moving boxes? Yes, he
moves
> it when he turns away. I guess maybe backing up would have helped. It was
> just at parts where he had to move boxes that I got this stickiness
problem.

> MaryJ

When you play the game again try backing him away from the box
before you turn him. It's trickier in the post office than it is in that
cave with the elevators because you have less maneuvering room.
Sometimes you have to push the box diagonally in order to cross
the conveyor belt too.

MaryJ

Feb 3, 2001, 1:35:54 AM2/3/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:95fnbr$220

> > > How about the excuse about the sore wrist and fingers of my
> > > right hand? I told you about how I often have to cross my hands
> > > so my left hand is operating the movement keys. My left hand
> > > may not have the tendon problems that my right one does, but
> > > it is klutzier and less able to aim accurately. But if I use my
> > > right hand all the time for fighting sequences, it gets too painful
> > > to play, especially since even with my right hand I'd have to
> > > play them over and over in order to get through with enough
> > > magic to overwhelm the remaining enemies.
> >
> > I see your point. I guess games that use the keyboard make your wrist
and
> > fingers hurt more.
>
> Not always. Sometimes mouse games can be just as bad.

With my particular wrist problem the keys seemed worse, but you're right,
sometimes the mouse can be bad too.. It was the mouse whioch first caused me
wrist problems,but thats because the mouse is what is mostly used for games.
Only two games I have played were keyboard - Grim fandango and TO - oh, and
add MI4 to that. I'm still working on MI4, but I find it kind of draggy.

> > I have problems with tendons on my right wrist from
> > leaning my hand on the computer desk and clicking on the mouse for the
> last
> > ten years -;)
>
> My problems started when I broke that arm. It's never been the
> same since. It's always been prone to get tendon problems since
> the radius bone didn't heal quite right. The wrist has also been
> operated on twice to remove ganglion cysts that formed. So
> there's a lot of scar tissue in there interfering with things.

That's too bad!

> Well I can always switch hands, but then my reflexes aren't so
> hot with the left hand and I can't seem to be figure out how to
> use the x key to dodge. Twinsen jumps right into the path of
> the bullets instead of avoiding them. Once he did a cartwheel.
> I haven't figured what I did to make him do it again though.

I don't remember it saying anything about using the x key. I mostly just
used the arrow keys. It seemed easier.

It sounds like it is very troublesome for your wrist and arms to use the
keyboard for games.
Are mouse supported games any easier for you?

> > Did you notice this stickiness when Twinsen was moving boxes? Yes, he
> moves
> > it when he turns away. I guess maybe backing up would have helped. It
was
> > just at parts where he had to move boxes that I got this stickiness
> problem.
> >
> > MaryJ
>
> When you play the game again try backing him away from the box
> before you turn him. It's trickier in the post office than it is in that
> cave with the elevators because you have less maneuvering room.
> Sometimes you have to push the box diagonally in order to cross
> the conveyor belt too.

I thought the stickiness was just as bad at the elevators as it was at the
baggage claim, probably because it took me longer at the cave place than it
did at the baggage claim, because I just paid the guy.. I didn't push the
crate all the way through the place.

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 3, 2001, 1:37:48 AM2/3/01

> "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> > Thats the part you wrote above that threw me (about the fiancee was
> sitting
> > behind the lighthouse on the *other island*) - aren't both the fiancee
and
> > the the lovesick guy both near the wizards tent, both on Twinsun island?
>
> They're on the same island, but on different sides of the island.
> The lighthouse is on one end of the island.
> The Weather Wizard's tent is on the other end of the island.
> Check it out next time you play the game.
>
> > MaryJ

I think I am getting the lighthouse and the wizards tent mixed up and its
not even that long since I finished the game for the second time - just a
few weeks -;)

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 3, 2001, 3:10:28 AM2/3/01

> Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:95fnbr$220
>

> > Not always. Sometimes mouse games can be just as bad.
>
> With my particular wrist problem the keys seemed worse, but you're right,
> sometimes the mouse can be bad too.. It was the mouse which first caused

me
> wrist problems,but thats because the mouse is what is mostly used for
games.

The games which cause me the most problems are
1. those where you have to do a lot of fast clicking, keyboard or mouse
2. games where you have to hold down the mouse button for long
periods to pan around and get aimed properly.

> Only two games I have played were keyboard - Grim fandango
> and TO - oh, and add MI4 to that. I'm still working on MI4, but I
> find it kind of draggy.

I've heard a lot of things said about MI4, but I think this is
the first time I heard anyone describe it as "kind of draggy."

> > Well I can always switch hands, but then my reflexes aren't so
> > hot with the left hand and I can't seem to be figure out how to
> > use the x key to dodge. Twinsen jumps right into the path of
> > the bullets instead of avoiding them. Once he did a cartwheel.
> > I haven't figured what I did to make him do it again though.
>
> I don't remember it saying anything about using the x key. I mostly just
> used the arrow keys. It seemed easier.

The x key is supposed to enable Twinsen to dodge. The manual
says "behavior will vary depending on behavior and weapon.
You use the x key in conjunction with the arrow keys.
I probably need to go through all the behaviors and see what
effects the different behaviors have on what the x key does.
See what makes him do a cartwheel.

> It sounds like it is very troublesome for your wrist and arms to use the
> keyboard for games.
> Are mouse supported games any easier for you?

It depends on the game. Keyboard is fine so long as precision
and speed are not important and I can switch hands if my
right one starts to bother me too much. Some days I have
to use the wrist brace on the arm.

> > > Did you notice this stickiness when Twinsen was moving boxes? Yes, he
> > moves
> > > it when he turns away. I guess maybe backing up would have helped. It
> was
> > > just at parts where he had to move boxes that I got this stickiness
> > problem.
> > >
> > > MaryJ
> >
> > When you play the game again try backing him away from the box
> > before you turn him. It's trickier in the post office than it is in that
> > cave with the elevators because you have less maneuvering room.
> > Sometimes you have to push the box diagonally in order to cross
> > the conveyor belt too.
>
> I thought the stickiness was just as bad at the elevators as it was at the
> baggage claim, probably because it took me longer at the cave place than
it
> did at the baggage claim, because I just paid the guy.. I didn't push the
> crate all the way through the place.

Well, in the cave you didn't have the conveyor belts and you had
more room to maneuver around the box.

> MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 5, 2001, 2:29:48 AM2/5/01
Jenny100 wrote:

> Raph's fiancee was sitting on a bench behind the lighthouse, on
> the other side of the island from the Weather Wizard's tent.
> Later in the game she is gone (where? inside the lighthouse?) ...

My guess is that she and Raph are both inside the lighthouse,
doing, umm, lighthouse keeper type things?

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 5, 2001, 2:37:09 AM2/5/01
MaryJ wrote:

> I thought I had this settled in my mind, now I don't know. do you mean that
> Raphs fiance is near the lighthouse (as well as the guy in love with the
> pharmacist?) - I just remember the guy under the tree. I don't remember
> seeing someone at a bench...

Raph's Fiancee Raph's Sister
Lovestruck Guy
Bench Pharmacy
Tree
Lighthouse_____Twinsen's House______Lupinburg_____Wizard's Tent____|

> > One of Raph's musical friends is named "Pat". I think that's
> > the Sphero. I still haven't remembered the girl's name.
> > "Cool! That music rocks!" :) Pity about the silent LBA track:
> > the floating notes look so good!
>
> Where did you get that information?

Asking around. Either Raph, or Luc's waiter, or the drunk,
or one of their friends told Twinsen.

> > I suspect that Raph is a young adult, younger than his sister
> > the pharmacist, because of her dismissive tone, and the obvious
> > youth of his fellow band member what's-her-name.
>
> ?? don't know.

"Cool! That music rocks!" sounds like teenage talk to me.

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 5, 2001, 2:40:10 AM2/5/01
MaryJ wrote:

> I have to admit the ending of the game is one of the best game endings I
> have ever seen. I have seen a similar type game ending, but it would be
> unfair to mention the name of the game here,
> even though its very unlikely that anyone is likely to be playing it.

Please email it to me. I'm eagerly curious.

> However, my daughter will never get that far, because if a game is not her

> type of game (whatever that is) she does not continue on. A few games that

> she actually finished (off the top of my head) are: Gabriel Knight 1 and 2,
> Fate of Atlantis (she loved that one), Phantasmagoria 1, Monkey Island 1 and
> 2, KQ 5,6,7, Day of the Tentacle, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora
> Directive -lots of others, but not nearly as many as I've played.

Hmm, can't imagine what they have in common.

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 5, 2001, 2:44:16 AM2/5/01
MaryJ wrote:

> With the boxes, it wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to get Twinsen to
> push the box around. That part was easy. It was when I pushed the box and
> stopped, the box was still "sticking" to Twinsen so to speak. ...

It sticks because Twinsen can pull crates. Otherwise it would be like
Sokoban when you're in a corner and can't recover. Fortunately,
Frederic Raynal thought of that.

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 5, 2001, 2:50:41 AM2/5/01
Jenny100 wrote:

> I can't seem to be figure out how to use the x key to dodge.

I didn't use the X key because i didn't understand the instructions.
A friend (one of the adventure game participants) told me you're
supposed to also press an arrow key at the same time, so the X is used
like an "Alt" or "Shift" or "Control" or "Apple" or "Windows" key.

> Twinsen jumps right into the path of
> the bullets instead of avoiding them. Once he did a cartwheel.
> I haven't figured what I did to make him do it again though.

X -> (held down) or X <- (held down), or was it X up-arrow or X
down-arrow?
Well, i need to practice them for my next encounter.

> When you play the game again try backing him away from the box
> before you turn him. It's trickier in the post office than it is in that
> cave with the elevators because you have less maneuvering room.
> Sometimes you have to push the box diagonally in order to cross
> the conveyor belt too.

Yes, i learnt to do that.

Geoffrey Tobin

Feb 5, 2001, 2:58:05 AM2/5/01
MaryJ wrote:

> So did you finally get the box out of the baggage place without having to
> pay? ...

No, i haven't got the key yet. I'm not recently playing Twinsen,
i'm playing old musicals on video (*) to entertain my parents.

(*) Tea For Two, The Great Caruso, Oklahoma!, The Desert Song,
State Fair, Until The Clouds Roll Buy, Yankee Doodle Dandy,
and maybe soon "etc etc etc". :)

> I never saw the postal worker since I didn't get that far with the box. I
> paid the lazy guy to get the box for me. Maybe next time I will try and see
> if I can get the box through the area myself.

You don't need to have the crate with you to explore.

Jenny100

Feb 5, 2001, 11:02:37 AM2/5/01

> Jenny100 wrote:
> >
> > Raph's fiancee was sitting on a bench behind the lighthouse, on
> > the other side of the island from the Weather Wizard's tent.
> > Later in the game she is gone (where? inside the lighthouse?) ...
>
> My guess is that she and Raph are both inside the lighthouse,
> doing, umm, lighthouse keeper type things?

Any old thing to pass the time, huh?

MaryJ

Feb 5, 2001, 2:54:56 PM2/5/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > I have to admit the ending of the game is one of the best game endings I
> > have ever seen. I have seen a similar type game ending, but it would be
> > unfair to mention the name of the game here,
> > even though its very unlikely that anyone is likely to be playing it.
>
> Please email it to me. I'm eagerly curious.

Will do.

> > However, my daughter will never get that far, because if a game is not
her
> > type of game (whatever that is) she does not continue on. A few games
that
> > she actually finished (off the top of my head) are: Gabriel Knight 1 and
2,
> > Fate of Atlantis (she loved that one), Phantasmagoria 1, Monkey Island 1
and
> > 2, KQ 5,6,7, Day of the Tentacle, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora
> > Directive -lots of others, but not nearly as many as I've played.
>
> Hmm, can't imagine what they have in common.

They may have nothing in common, but they held her interest for the entire
game which is not always the case with her. Her husband plays hardlyany
games at all but particularly liked GK2 and Phantasmagoria 1 (he
particularly liked the graphics in Phantas 1)

MaryJ

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 5, 2001, 3:18:50 PM2/5/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > With the boxes, it wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to get Twinsen
> > push the box around. That part was easy. It was when I pushed the box
and
> > stopped, the box was still "sticking" to Twinsen so to speak. ...
>
> It sticks because Twinsen can pull crates. Otherwise it would be like
> Sokoban when you're in a corner and can't recover. Fortunately,
> Frederic Raynal thought of that.

Never played Sokoban - never even heard of it.. Yes, I know Twinsen can pull
crates, but whether pushing or pulling, when he stops completely, the box
still moves. thats what I meant by sticking. You would think the box would
stop moving when Twinsen stops, but it didnt.

MaryJ

Robert Norton

Feb 7, 2001, 8:29:13 AM2/7/01
Geoffrey Tobin wrote:

> Robert Norton wrote:

> > Geoffrey Tobin wrote:
> >
> > > My guess is that she and Raph are both inside the lighthouse,
> > > doing, umm, lighthouse keeper type things?
> >

> > doing a little light housekeeping... groan.
>
> Hey, that's actually not a bad pun. Thanks, i might use that,
> when appropriate.

Stolen from "The Goodies" I'm afraid. Use a pun, go to jail.

flavio araujo

Aug 22, 2020, 4:11:07 PM8/22/20
Hello! I can believe I found something from 2001 on LBA 2