LBA2:Baggage Claim Puzzle

ron

Jan 15, 2001, 12:50:06 PM1/15/01
Anybody know how to solve this puzzle. Getting the box out without
paying the 102 Kashes? I can get it to where the "too busy" clerk is.

MaryJ

Jan 15, 2001, 1:59:50 PM1/15/01
ron <rgl...@mail.ocis.net> wrote in message

> Anybody know how to solve this puzzle. Getting the box out without
> paying the 102 Kashes? I can get it to where the "too busy" clerk is.

You can either pay the guy who is sitting down by the barrels when you go
into the main area of the baggage claim part which is far easier to do. Or
you can fiddle with the barrel, pushing this way and that way and I found it
hard to maneuvre and it too so long, I gave up and just went out and got
more kashes which was much easier than trying to get the box where it was
supposed to go.. I never did find out where the box was supposed to end
because I just paid the money to the
warehouse guy who was sitting down. Was he the busy clerk? don't remember it
saying that about him. He wasn't doing anything except sitting down.

maybe somebody here who played the game had the patience to get the box to
where it was supposed to go without paying the kashes.?

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 15, 2001, 8:20:39 PM1/15/01
MaryJ wrote:

> maybe somebody here who played the game had the patience to get the box to
> where it was supposed to go without paying the kashes?

I did that, and the second time i played i was much better at
manoeuvring
the crate. But one problem remained unresolved: how to get past the
bunny
at the exit door.

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

MaryJ

Jan 15, 2001, 11:17:00 PM1/15/01
Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote in message

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > maybe somebody here who played the game had the patience to get the box
> > where it was supposed to go without paying the kashes?
>
> I did that, and the second time i played i was much better at
> manoeuvring
> the crate. But one problem remained unresolved: how to get past the
> bunny
> at the exit door.

Even the second time I played the game which was just recently, I was no
better at maneuvering that box. I just paid the guy to move it for me, so
never met the bunny at the exit door. If you couldn't get past him, how did
you get past that part of the game?

MaryJ

karMina

Jan 16, 2001, 11:58:53 PM1/16/01
If I remember well, you have to push the box past that lazy bunny, over a
treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with the
ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and watch him
run away crying. You will have use the lift and the treadmill here to jump on
top of the boxes next to the door and get the key from a small box. Unlock the
door and enter while pushing your crate to the other side of the door.

In this room, behind the 2 lifts, you can climb on the boxes and enter an area
where you can play a game. You have to chose one of the three levers and a box
will finally come down with the total amount you need to pay the lazy bunny to
get your box out. If you do get in that area, your box will automatically return
to the very beginning as soon as you leave this area, so you will have to push
your box all the way back again or pay the lazy guy. You'll have to push it
again through a new series of lifts and treadmills and at the last treadmill
just jump on it and you will end up by the entrance lobby where the elephant
will open your crate and give you your prize.

That's it. Good luck and have fun. 8^)

--
Sans signature...

"MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> a écrit dans le message news:
mWP86.3795$Oe.1...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...

MaryJ

Jan 17, 2001, 12:52:11 AM1/17/01
karMina <karMina...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If I remember well, you have to push the box past that lazy bunny, over a
> treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with
the
> ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and
watch him
> run away crying. You will have use the lift and the treadmill here to jump
on
> top of the boxes next to the door and get the key from a small box. Unlock
the
> door and enter while pushing your crate to the other side of the door.

I am not playing the game at the moment,but I had always wondered about that
part. I did get somewhere with the box but I gave up and went back and paid
the guy to move the box for me. The parts that I go to were above, but I
never saw a key in a smallbox, so guess I either didn't see it or stopped
before that part.

I don't remember those bunnies. I mostly remember the guy sitting at the
crates shortly after you go into the warehouse - I guess he is the laxy guy.

Your description is very good of what to do. The next time I play the game I
might try it.

The most I did with boxes was a different part in TO - it was the part
where you zoomed over with the super pak on your back and you had to move
the boxes and figure out how to get them both up on the elevator thing to be
able to jump onto the next scene of the game. someone has said yuo can junk
over the spikes near the back elevator - if you know where i mean, but I was
never able to do that without jumping ON the spikes.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 17, 2001, 10:12:55 PM1/17/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Even the second time I played the game which was just recently, I was no
> better at maneuvering that box. I just paid the guy to move it for me, so
> never met the bunny at the exit door. If you couldn't get past him, how did
> you get past that part of the game?

When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
(i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
paying
the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.

It's easy enough to get 100 or 200 kashes if you hit every kash tree
in each area several times.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 17, 2001, 10:22:56 PM1/17/01
karMina wrote:

> If I remember well, you have to push the box past that lazy bunny,

As i recall, the lazy baggage handler is a Quetch (like Twinsen),
not a Rabbibunny.

> over a
> treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with the
> ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and watch him
> run away crying.

Drat! He's one of the few characters i haven't beaten up. ;(
To think: he's also one of the very few harmless characters
that it's beneficial to attack! =:(

> You will have use the lift and the treadmill here to jump on
> top of the boxes next to the door and get the key from a small box.

Now, as it happens i learnt that, but i couldn't find that box.
_Exactly_ which small box is it?

> Unlock the door and enter while pushing your crate
> to the other side of the door.

A little experimentation and i should be able to do that.
After allm i got the crate this far, and i also found a
couple of ways to solve the pile-the-crates problem in
another section of the game.

> In this room, behind the 2 lifts, you can climb on the boxes and enter an area
> where you can play a game.

Where are you describing now?

> You have to chose one of the three levers

I don't recall that, so i guess this is a new area beyond the door
that the bunny was guarding?

> and a box will finally come down with the total amount you need
> to pay the lazy bunny to get your box out.

But i have the money already; i don't need any more kashes.

> If you do get in that area, your box will automatically return
> to the very beginning as soon as you leave this area,

Hmm, respawning can be a pain. But it provides plenty of practice.

> so you will have to push
> your box all the way back again or pay the lazy guy.

> You'll have to push it
> again through a new series of lifts and treadmills

Goody! A puzzle i didn't know existed.

> and at the last treadmill just jump on it

I predicted that. Pity jumping on the treadmills
upstairs in the entrance lobby doesn't let Twinsen
explore in the reverse direction.

> and you will end up by the entrance lobby where the elephant
> will open your crate and give you your prize.

And a good prize it is, too.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 17, 2001, 10:24:59 PM1/17/01
MaryJ wrote:

> The most I did with boxes was a different part in TO - it was the part
> where you zoomed over with the super pak on your back and you had to move
> the boxes and figure out how to get them both up on the elevator thing to be
> able to jump onto the next scene of the game. someone has said yuo can junk
> over the spikes near the back elevator - if you know where i mean, but I was
> never able to do that without jumping ON the spikes.

Yes, you can jump over those spikes. As in several other sections
of TO, you have to take a running jump. After a few tries, it's
quite easy.

MaryJ

Jan 17, 2001, 10:35:43 PM1/17/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > The most I did with boxes was a different part in TO - it was the part
> > where you zoomed over with the super pak on your back and you had to
move
> > the boxes and figure out how to get them both up on the elevator thing
to be
> > able to jump onto the next scene of the game. someone has said yuo can
junk
> > over the spikes near the back elevator - if you know where i mean, but I
was
> > never able to do that without jumping ON the spikes.
>
> Yes, you can jump over those spikes. As in several other sections
> of TO, you have to take a running jump. After a few tries, it's
> quite easy.

Funny but I tried it a lot of times , but just ended up on the spikes, so I
figured it couldn't be done, but obviously it can.

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 17, 2001, 10:38:14 PM1/17/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > Even the second time I played the game which was just recently, I was no
> > better at maneuvering that box. I just paid the guy to move it for me,
so
> > never met the bunny at the exit door. If you couldn't get past him, how
did
> > you get past that part of the game?
>
> When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
> (i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
> paying
> the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.

So you never moved the box around the place and out the door the "hard way"
as described by the other NG poster yesterday (Kinha?) - forget their exact
name.

> It's easy enough to get 100 or 200 kashes if you hit every kash tree
> in each area several times.

You were like me and took the easy way out - eh? -hehe

MaryJ

karMina

Jan 18, 2001, 12:02:37 AM1/18/01
"Geoffrey Tobin" <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> a écrit dans le message news:
3A666190...@ee.latrobe.edu.au...

> As i recall, the lazy baggage handler is a Quetch (like Twinsen),
> not a Rabbibunny.

True, true

> > over a
> > treadmill, down a lift, past two pistons and you get into that area with the
> > ignorant bunny who does not want to help you. Just slap him around and watch
him
> > run away crying.
>
> Drat! He's one of the few characters i haven't beaten up. ;(
> To think: he's also one of the very few harmless characters
> that it's beneficial to attack! =:(

LOL. My daughter was hitting anything that moved in that game (good and bad
people) like that little brat who shoots at you when you try to enter the
drugstore... >:^) The result was surprising and funny sometimes.

> Now, as it happens i learnt that, but i couldn't find that box.
> _Exactly_ which small box is it?

It's just a small brown box on top of the larger crates on the left side of that
locked door.

> > Unlock the door and enter while pushing your crate
> > to the other side of the door.
>
> A little experimentation and i should be able to do that.
> After allm i got the crate this far, and i also found a
> couple of ways to solve the pile-the-crates problem in
> another section of the game.
>
> > In this room, behind the 2 lifts, you can climb on the boxes and enter an
area
> > where you can play a game.
>
> Where are you describing now?
>
> > You have to chose one of the three levers
>
> I don't recall that, so i guess this is a new area beyond the door
> that the bunny was guarding?

Exactly, it's on the other side of the locked door. You will see some crates by
the wall and a square hole in that wall but when you enter there, you have to
leave your box in the other room and when you return to that room with the
money, your box is gone back to the beginning because it reloads the room's
graphics.

> > and a box will finally come down with the total amount you need
> > to pay the lazy bunny to get your box out.
>
> But i have the money already; i don't need any more kashes.

Good for you but maybe Ron (the original poster) needs that money. ;^)

> > If you do get in that area, your box will automatically return
> > to the very beginning as soon as you leave this area,
>
> Hmm, respawning can be a pain. But it provides plenty of practice.
>
> > so you will have to push
> > your box all the way back again or pay the lazy guy.
>
> > You'll have to push it
> > again through a new series of lifts and treadmills
>
> Goody! A puzzle i didn't know existed.

And a very easy one at that too.

> > and at the last treadmill just jump on it
>
> I predicted that. Pity jumping on the treadmills
> upstairs in the entrance lobby doesn't let Twinsen
> explore in the reverse direction.

Now, now, where's your adventurous sense? This game if full of surprises mostly
good but sometimes bad.

> > and you will end up by the entrance lobby where the elephant
> > will open your crate and give you your prize.
>
> And a good prize it is, too.
>
> --
> Best wishes!
> Geoffrey Tobin
> Email: g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au
> WWW: http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

Best wishes to you too.

karMina

--
Sans signature...

ron

Jan 21, 2001, 11:00:24 AM1/21/01
Thanks karMina,
Eureka, at last! I just tried this and it is the answer. Thank You.

You are not only a good game player but you must have an excellent
memory also.

karMina

Jan 21, 2001, 12:02:41 PM1/21/01
My pleasure Ron,

When I play a game, I try to go everywhere and open everything I can. Sometimes,
I have big surprises too. It takes me a long time to play a game but at least I
have quite an adventure playing it.

Good luck and the adventure continues.
--
Sans signature...

"ron" <rgl...@mail.ocis.net> a ecrit dans le message news:
3a6b059d...@news.ocis.net...

Graham

Jan 21, 2001, 12:57:33 PM1/21/01
Hi
do eather of you read the alt.games.twinsens.odyssey group, if not
then i'm sure we would all love you to (even though the chat is at a
minimal when its at its best)
--
Graham

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 21, 2001, 9:02:37 PM1/21/01
MaryJ wrote:
> Funny but I tried it a lot of times, but just ended up on the spikes ...

Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 21, 2001, 9:07:25 PM1/21/01
Graham wrote:
> do either of you read the alt.games.twinsens.odyssey group, if not

> then i'm sure we would all love you to

I second that!

> (even though the chat is at a minimal when its at its best)

In agto, we're always good. :) Quiet, but good.
As quiet as solitary confinement in a padded room.
!tuo em teL. !pleH

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 21, 2001, 9:09:59 PM1/21/01
MaryJ wrote:

> GT wrote:

> > When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
> > (i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
> > paying
> > the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.
>
> So you never moved the box around the place and out the door the "hard way"
> as described by the other NG poster yesterday (Kinha?) - forget their exact
> name.

I manoeuvred the crate to the doorguard bunny. But then i couldn't get
through the door, because i couldn't find the magic pass key or whatever
it is, so after all that effort i had to pay the lazy quetch anyway.

MaryJ

Jan 21, 2001, 9:49:49 PM1/21/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > Funny but I tried it a lot of times, but just ended up on the spikes ...
>
> Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
> You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
> over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
> coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.

Yes, I know, but I tried that same part dozens of times and finished the
game again not long ago and tried those same spikes - couldn't get over them
yet I managed to maneuvre those boxes around in that same area and it took a
little thinking -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 21, 2001, 9:51:25 PM1/21/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > GT wrote:
> > > When you meet the baggage exit doorguard bunny, he expects you to have
> > > (i think) a key or some kind of pass, but he gives you the option of
> > > paying
> > > the lazy baggage handler the kashes instead. So i paid the lazy guy.
> >
> > So you never moved the box around the place and out the door the "hard
way"
> > as described by the other NG poster yesterday (Kinha?) - forget their
exact
> > name.
>
> I manoeuvred the crate to the doorguard bunny. But then i couldn't get
> through the door, because i couldn't find the magic pass key or whatever
> it is, so after all that effort i had to pay the lazy quetch anyway.

I did try to get the box out of that area myself,but in the end had to pay
the lazy guy (guess that was the guy sitting and leaning on the barrel
things?)

MaryJ

Graham

Jan 22, 2001, 2:51:20 PM1/22/01
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:51:25 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
wrote:

this is all strange, I managed to get the crate out first time,
without paying the guy and getting a few hundred cashes on the way
--
Graham

MaryJ

Jan 22, 2001, 5:41:30 PM1/22/01
Graham <gra...@asjg.freeuk.com> wrote in message

> Graham

Well, Geoffrey and I must not as smart as you Graham -;) I tried to get the
crate out without paying the lazy guy when I played the game a few months
ago and again when I tried it a month ago, and still had to pay the guy. I
thought it took a lot of patience, which lots of other parts in the game do
too, but the crate seemed to go this way and that way and when you pressed
the up arrow, the box went over to the right or left instead of forward, and
same whenI pressed the left arrow - it went all over theplace. It was
annoying.

What is your secret to moving that crate in that part of the game without
the crate going this way and that?

By the way, have you ever played Relentless and if so, did you have any
problems with it after it was installed such as Don and Geoffrey are having
right now?

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 4:09:28 AM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
> > You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
> > over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
> > coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.
>
> Yes, I know, but I tried that same part dozens of times and finished the
> game again not long ago and tried those same spikes - couldn't get over them
> yet I managed to maneuvre those boxes around in that same area and it took a
> little thinking -;)

How long did you take to work out how to use the lift, etc,
to pile up the boxes? It took me a long time on the first
occasion.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 4:13:52 AM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> What is your secret to moving that crate in that part of the game without
> the crate going this way and that? ...

Moving the crate gets easier with practice. The first time i tried,
i got it under the "monkey bar" (or whatever that overhead structure
is) but it seemed to be magnetically drawn in the wrong direction,
and i wasn't strong enough to overpower it long enough.

However, when i tried it more recently, it was a cinch. I guess
with all that practice over the years, Twinsen's growing muscles. ;)

MaryJ

Jan 23, 2001, 12:10:47 PM1/23/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Recurrently being skewered is part of the learning process.
> > > You're not alone. Seeing the right way to run and jump
> > > over obstacles is an "aha!" experience for eye-hand
> > > coordination, much as puzzle solving is for the brain.
> >
> > Yes, I know, but I tried that same part dozens of times and finished the
> > game again not long ago and tried those same spikes - couldn't get over
them
> > yet I managed to maneuvre those boxes around in that same area and it
took a
> > little thinking -;)
>
> How long did you take to work out how to use the lift, etc,
> to pile up the boxes? It took me a long time on the first
> occasion.

The first time I played the game, it took me a long time to figure out about
the lift and how to get the boxes up and down. I can't say exactly how long,
but I did have to look at the walklthrough and then when I did get it right,
my own solution was different than the walkthrough anyway - since I couldn't
seem to figure it the same way as the walkthrough, so I think there are a
few different ways of getting the boxes up and down. The second time it
still took me a while,but not as long as the first time around. I figured
out how to work the lift quickly, it was the boxes which gave me trouble and
the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim. When I pushed
the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be the
most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find that
to be a problem?

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 23, 2001, 12:26:53 PM1/23/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > What is your secret to moving that crate in that part of the game
without
> > the crate going this way and that? ...
>
> Moving the crate gets easier with practice. The first time i tried,
> i got it under the "monkey bar" (or whatever that overhead structure
> is) but it seemed to be magnetically drawn in the wrong direction,
> and i wasn't strong enough to overpower it long enough.
>
> However, when i tried it more recently, it was a cinch. I guess
> with all that practice over the years, Twinsen's growing muscles. ;)

So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area to
wherever the end of that part is? The part which Graham said if you through
all the way,you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money. I
was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
later on as well. .But the first time I played the game, I was short of
magic and health all the time - especially in the gem mine area. I
constantly had to try to get that guy down the passage place near the mine
and bop him off to get some health or magic just to continue with the game.

MaryJ

Graham

Jan 23, 2001, 3:07:01 PM1/23/01
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:26:53 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
wrote:

>So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area to
>wherever the end of that part is? The part which Graham said if you through
>all the way,you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money. I
>was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
>later on as well. .

Past the lazy rabibunny is a lift thing, to the to of the screen and
right ish is a pile of boxes and a hole or something, try to jump from
one box to another starting on your crate then go through the hole and
pull the third lever I think a box will come and inside is loads of
money

Try pushing the box using your back i.e. walk backwards into it, it
may be easyer to controll that way.
--
Graham

MaryJ

Jan 23, 2001, 3:59:04 PM1/23/01

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:26:53 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
> wrote:
>

> >So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area
> >wherever the end of that part is? The part which Graham said if you
through
> >all the way,you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money.
> >was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
> >later on as well. .

> Past the lazy rabibunny is a lift thing, to the to of the screen and
> right ish is a pile of boxes and a hole or something, try to jump from
> one box to another starting on your crate then go through the hole and
> pull the third lever I think a box will come and inside is loads of
> money

I am not playing the game at the moment Graham, though someone else might
be. When you say "lazy rabibunny" do you mean the person you see when you
first go in after you pick up the crate and go to another room? and he is
sitting leaning against some crates? is that who you mean as lazy rabibunny?
I passed him at one point and got a little further one time. I got as far as
where there was a lift thing and a door beside it but you couldn't get into
the door. Also, another part was you could go along a conveyor belt with the
box,but then the box fell off at the end - I tried those parts so many
times and thats why I gave up and just paid the guy.

> Try pushing the box using your back i.e. walk backwards into it, it
> may be easyer to controll that way.

I would have to play it again sometime to remember what I did in that area.
Did you ever play Relentless? if so, what was it like? I am wondering if
its worth while to try to get.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 11:05:44 PM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> the boxes which gave me trouble and
> the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim. When I pushed
> the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be the
> most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find that
> to be a problem?

Actually, no. Maybe your keyboard needs to be straightened? :)

Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
that kept dragging the box away.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 11:09:17 PM1/23/01
MaryJ wrote:

> So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area to
> wherever the end of that part is?

I got as far as the door guarded by the rabbibunny. It's about a screen
to the right of the conveyor belts. Since he wouldn't let me pass, and
i had no key for the door, i was stuck. Now i know to chase him away,
i may make another attempt to find the key.

> The part which Graham said if you through

> all the way, you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the money. I

> was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and sometimes
> later on as well.

Yes, but there are many money trees and other sources of kash.

> But the first time I played the game, I was short of
> magic and health all the time - especially in the gem mine area. I
> constantly had to try to get that guy down the passage place near the mine
> and bop him off to get some health or magic just to continue with the game.

Some areas are resource poor, that's why one should stock up well
in the resource rich areas.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 23, 2001, 11:11:00 PM1/23/01
Graham wrote:

> Past the lazy rabibunny

The lazy man is a quetch. The rabbibunny is an officious doorguard.

> is a lift thing, to the top of the screen and

> right ish is a pile of boxes and a hole or something, try to jump from
> one box to another starting on your crate then go through the hole and
> pull the third lever I think a box will come and inside is loads of
> money

Neat! I must look for that.

> Try pushing the box using your back i.e. walk backwards into it, it

> may be easyer to control that way.

Twinsen physics is well done.

MaryJ

Jan 24, 2001, 12:07:39 AM1/24/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > the boxes which gave me trouble and
> > the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim. When I
pushed
> > the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> > direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be
the
> > most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> > baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> > frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find
that
> > to be a problem?
>
> Actually, no. Maybe your keyboard needs to be straightened? :)

Or thrown off the balcony. I think my keyboard is ok. The crates moved even
if you brushed against them slightly, when you were just trying to get
yourself in position to move the crate.

> Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
> problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
> that kept dragging the box away.

Yes, I remember some parts like that where there was a conveyer belt high up
and Twinsenhad to jump on it and the crate went off the end of the conveyer
belt before you could get to it.

Did you complete that part and get the crate out of the whole area and get a
bunch of kashes like Graham did, without paying the guy to move it for you?
I never got that far. I would have to try it some other time when I play the
game again.. My daughter is still playing it for the last two weeks and just
found the Museum - haha. She takes months with games,and sometimes doesn't
bother to finish them if they get too boring for her. She says TO takes a
lot of patience. I have to agree with that. But I told her if you can keep
going, you get better at doing things in the game -;) Remember when I played
it the first time, I thought I would just give up quite a few times?

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 24, 2001, 12:12:07 AM1/24/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > So does that mean you got the crate all the way through the baggage area
> > wherever the end of that part is?
>
> I got as far as the door guarded by the rabbibunny. It's about a screen
> to the right of the conveyor belts. Since he wouldn't let me pass, and
> i had no key for the door, i was stuck. Now i know to chase him away,
> i may make another attempt to find the key.

I just asked you about this part in a message I just wrote. That is the
trouble with you being so far ahead in time than here. I read your messages
at night - it is 12.15 a.m. here right now, but about 3 pm the next day at y
our place? so by the time I get your messages,yo have already asked what I
wanted to know before. We are out of sync. Sorry for asking the same thing
again. but blame the time differences -;)

> > The part which Graham said if you through
> > all the way, you get several hundred kashes. I could have used the
money. I
> > was always short of money in the earlier part of the game - and
sometimes
> > later on as well.
>
> Yes, but there are many money trees and other sources of kash.

I know, but it would have been handy to get kashes there just the same.

> > But the first time I played the game, I was short of
> > magic and health all the time - especially in the gem mine area. I
> > constantly had to try to get that guy down the passage place near the
mine
> > and bop him off to get some health or magic just to continue with the
game.

> Some areas are resource poor, that's why one should stock up well
> in the resource rich areas.

Yes,but sometimes you are busy concentrating on other things. Besides, if
you had enough magic and health all the time in the entire game, the game
would not be as challenging. Its nice to get health and magic and kashes and
clovers in unexpected places.

MaryJ

Graham

Jan 24, 2001, 2:40:56 PM1/24/01
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:59:04 -0500, "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca>
wrote:

>I am not playing the game at the moment Graham, though someone else might
>be. When you say "lazy rabibunny" do you mean the person you see when you
>first go in after you pick up the crate and go to another room? and he is
>sitting leaning against some crates? is that who you mean as lazy rabibunny?

Yep

>I passed him at one point and got a little further one time. I got as far as
>where there was a lift thing and a door beside it but you couldn't get into
>the door.

you need a key from on some crates, in a small brown box

> Also, another part was you could go along a conveyor belt with the
>box,but then the box fell off at the end - I tried those parts so many
>times and thats why I gave up and just paid the guy.

Ithink you're not ment to do that, its not ment to go on to the bely
but over the bults on the floor

>I would have to play it again sometime to remember what I did in that area.
>Did you ever play Relentless? if so, what was it like? I am wondering if
>its worth while to try to get.

defonately it is ace
--
Graham

Graham

Jan 24, 2001, 2:42:11 PM1/24/01
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:11:00 +1100, Geoffrey Tobin
<g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:

>The lazy man is a quetch. The rabbibunny is an officious doorguard.

oops my mistake haven't played it for a while but now you mentin it I
do remember it as being a quech. thanx

--
Graham

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 29, 2001, 3:24:50 AM1/29/01
MaryJ wrote:

> The crates moved even
> if you brushed against them slightly, when you were just trying to get
> yourself in position to move the crate.

You're stronger than you thought. Strength is good, but elegant
precision
requires practice.

> > Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
> > problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
> > that kept dragging the box away.
>
> Yes, I remember some parts like that where there was a conveyer belt high up

> and Twinsen had to jump on it and the crate went off the end of the conveyer

> belt before you could get to it.

A conveyor belt high up? Where was that? Do you mean in the mineral
processing
building on the moon base?

> Did you complete that part and get the crate out of the whole area and get a
> bunch of kashes like Graham did, without paying the guy to move it for you?

No, because i didn't find the box with the key (?) to get past the
rabbibunny
who guarded the exit.

> I never got that far. I would have to try it some other time when I play the
> game again.. My daughter is still playing it for the last two weeks and just
> found the Museum - haha. She takes months with games,and sometimes doesn't
> bother to finish them if they get too boring for her. She says TO takes a
> lot of patience. I have to agree with that. But I told her if you can keep
> going, you get better at doing things in the game -;)

Good advice. Sounds familiar, even. <Snagglepuss exits left.>

> Remember when I played it the first time, I thought I would just give up
> quite a few times?

Yes, but the crowd cheered you on. Rah, rah, MaryJ! Did the gatorade
help
too?

MaryJ

Jan 29, 2001, 12:20:17 PM1/29/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > The crates moved even
> > if you brushed against them slightly, when you were just trying to get
> > yourself in position to move the crate.
>
> You're stronger than you thought. Strength is good, but elegant
> precision
> requires practice.

I don't think it was brute strength on my part. I was thinking more that
when you pushed on an arrow key, the box would go one way, but then when you
lifted your finger from the arrow key, Twinsen was still moving slightly and
the box got moved just enough that you didn't want it to go that way. Didn't
anyone else have this problem with those boxes?

> > > Pushing or pulling the boxes took some practice, but the main
> > > problem was getting past the conveyor belts and other devices
> > > that kept dragging the box away.
> >
> > Yes, I remember some parts like that where there was a conveyer belt
high up
> > and Twinsen had to jump on it and the crate went off the end of the
conveyer
> > belt before you could get to it.
>
> A conveyor belt high up? Where was that? Do you mean in the mineral
> processing
> building on the moon base?

No, I mean in the baggage claim area. Above where Twinsen walked on the
ground, there was a conveyer belt thing - or maybe I am not remembering
correctly.

> > Did you complete that part and get the crate out of the whole area and
get a
> > bunch of kashes like Graham did, without paying the guy to move it for
you?

> No, because i didn't find the box with the key (?) to get past the
> rabbibunny
> who guarded the exit.

Oh yes, I forgot about that.

> > I never got that far. I would have to try it some other time when I play
the
> > game again.. My daughter is still playing it for the last two weeks and
just
> > found the Museum - haha. She takes months with games,and sometimes
doesn't
> > bother to finish them if they get too boring for her. She says TO takes
> > lot of patience. I have to agree with that. But I told her if you can
keep
> > going, you get better at doing things in the game -;)
>
> Good advice. Sounds familiar, even. <Snagglepuss exits left.>

She is not as persevering as me about games, and gives up more easily.
She doesn't have the interest or patience I guess. Yet in other areas of
life, she has more patience than me.

> > Remember when I played it the first time, I thought I would just give up
> > quite a few times?
>
> Yes, but the crowd cheered you on. Rah, rah, MaryJ! Did the gatorade
> help
> too?

Yes, you were very supportive Geoffrey and challenged me all the way asking
me about where I was in the game, explaining who the characters were. Also
Jeanne helped me out of a few tight spots. Getting support is always so nice
in any area of life -;)

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 29, 2001, 9:51:18 PM1/29/01
MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote

> Yes, you were very supportive Geoffrey and challenged me all the way
asking
> me about where I was in the game, explaining who the characters were. Also
> Jeanne helped me out of a few tight spots.

Glad I could help you enjoy this wonderful game!

>Getting support is always so nice in any area of life -;)

Isn't that the truth, though? ;-)
Jeanne

Isn't it the truth? ;-)

MaryJ

Jan 29, 2001, 11:38:13 PM1/29/01
Jeanne <jep...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Jeanne - remember for quite a while after I was into the game, I asked for a
hint on the NG, and you gave me a hint and I was complaining so much about
dying all the time in the game and having to jump onto ledges all the time
and killing guards, etc. and you said something like
"the game is not for everyone, maybe its a game you just don't like", and I
thought at the time, yes maybe its not for me, but it was kind of strange,
because even though I hated these jumping parts and dying every two minutes,
it maintained my interest in other ways and I kept on going.
I found that as I got more into the game, and got better at hitting
people/jumping and throwing the ball, I actually got to enjoy it. In all the
games I've ever played - dozens and dozens over the last 10 years, it has
never happened before that I have disliked as game so much, yet ended up
liking it. It took quite a while into the game before I got to like it
though -;) The game has a lot to offer in imagination and the graphics are
beautifully done. I especially liked the characters ast the start of the
game. My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?
It's quite different from any other game I've played- very unique. My
daughter is playing it at the moment and complains about the same things I
did, and says it requires so much patience. So I said to her "the game is
not for everybody - maybe its not for you" = sound familiar? haha

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 30, 2001, 12:21:36 AM1/30/01
> > MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote

> Jeanne - remember for quite a while after I was into the game, I asked for
> hint on the NG, and you gave me a hint and I was complaining so much about
> dying all the time in the game and having to jump onto ledges all the time
> and killing guards, etc. and you said something like
> "the game is not for everyone, maybe its a game you just don't like",

Yes, I do remember saying that. I felt so badly that you really didn't like
the game...and I do so love TO. I also remember giving you some "cheats" to
get you through...but I don't think you wanted to use them. You were going
to battle your way through! And you did!

and I
> thought at the time, yes maybe its not for me, but it was kind of strange,
> because even though I hated these jumping parts and dying every two
minutes,
> it maintained my interest in other ways and I kept on going.
> I found that as I got more into the game, and got better at hitting
> people/jumping and throwing the ball, I actually got to enjoy it.

I remember getting stuck in most of the places you were stuck. I was *so*
frustrated throwing that #@%&@ ball and not connecting that I could really
relate to your frustration.
But you're right, it's the whole TO world and the characters AND the music
that just enchant you after awhile. It made getting over those few rough
spots worth it.

In all the
> games I've ever played - dozens and dozens over the last 10 years, it has
> never happened before that I have disliked as game so much, yet ended up
> liking it. It took quite a while into the game before I got to like it
> though -;) The game has a lot to offer in imagination and the graphics are
> beautifully done. I especially liked the characters ast the start of the
> game. My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?

I guess Twinsen. He was brave, courageous and learned to throw that ball
like a major leaguer.

It's quite different from any other game I've played- very unique. My
> daughter is playing it at the moment and complains about the same things I
> did, and says it requires so much patience. So I said to her "the game is
> not for everybody - maybe its not for you" = sound familiar? haha

;-)
Jeanne

MaryJ

Jan 30, 2001, 12:39:41 AM1/30/01

> > > MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote
> > Jeanne - remember for quite a while after I was into the game, I asked
for
> > hint on the NG, and you gave me a hint and I was complaining so much
about
> > dying all the time in the game and having to jump onto ledges all the
time
> > and killing guards, etc. and you said something like
> > "the game is not for everyone, maybe its a game you just don't like",
>
> Yes, I do remember saying that. I felt so badly that you really didn't
like
> the game...and I do so love TO. I also remember giving you some "cheats"
> get you through...but I don't think you wanted to use them. You were going
> to battle your way through! And you did!

Well, I did cheat quite a few times in the game. I battled and cheated - ;)

> I remember getting stuck in most of the places you were stuck. I was *so*
> frustrated throwing that #@%&@ ball and not connecting that I could really
> relate to your frustration.
> But you're right, it's the whole TO world and the characters AND the music
> that just enchant you after awhile. It made getting over those few rough
> spots worth it.

I remember the first time I got *really* stuck in the game and that was the
time you gave me some help. Remember the part about Twinsen need to hit a
switch with the ball beyond those barrels? I tried and tried and could never
figure out why I couldn't hit that switch. It was so annoying because the
ball would *almost* hit the switch and you felt that maybe the next time and
the next time, you might hit it. Thats when you told me that I probably
don't have enough magic and that is why I can't hit the switch. So I went
and got more magic and that was the problem just as you said. I was then
able to hit the switch with no problem. I found the game so confusing for
quite a while about magic, health, etc.

> In all the
> > games I've ever played - dozens and dozens over the last 10 years, it
has
> > never happened before that I have disliked as game so much, yet ended up
> > liking it. It took quite a while into the game before I got to like it
> > though -;) The game has a lot to offer in imagination and the graphics
are
> > beautifully done. I especially liked the characters ast the start of the
> > game. My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?
>
> I guess Twinsen. He was brave, courageous and learned to throw that ball
> like a major leaguer.

Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after Twinsen, -what
other character did you like?

> It's quite different from any other game I've played- very unique. My
> > daughter is playing it at the moment and complains about the same things
> > did, and says it requires so much patience. So I said to her "the game
is
> > not for everybody - maybe its not for you" = sound familiar? haha
>
> ;-)
> Jeanne

The only thing about her though is - if a game doesn't hold her interest,
she doesn't keep persevering too long.. She just tries another game instead.
She has more unfinished games, than finished -;)

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 30, 2001, 1:50:55 AM1/30/01
MaryJ wrote:
> Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after Twinsen, -what
> other character did you like?

Zoe. On several boards and lists my username is "zoetrope",
which i based on the flower heliotrope ("turn to the sun")
and on our favorite hero's favorite heroine.

MaryJ

Jan 30, 2001, 3:24:00 PM1/30/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after
Twinsen, -what
> > other character did you like?
>
> Zoe. On several boards and lists my username is "zoetrope",
> which i based on the flower heliotrope ("turn to the sun")
> and on our favorite hero's favorite heroine.

How original! I wouldn't have thought of that.. I liked Zoe myself. I guess
I should have excluded her from when I was asking Jeanne what her favorite
character was. So outside of Twinsen and Zoe, which character did you like
the best ? -;) I think Zoe (the actress in the game) played a few different
parts in the game as per the credits. I think she was also Sendell. The
voice sounded the same. She has a good voice.

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 30, 2001, 8:17:43 PM1/30/01

MaryJ <rain...@attcanada.ca>
> Jeanne <jep...@worldnet.att.net> wrote ...

> I remember the first time I got *really* stuck in the game and that was
the
> time you gave me some help. Remember the part about Twinsen need to hit a
> switch with the ball beyond those barrels? I tried and tried and could
never
> figure out why I couldn't hit that switch. It was so annoying because the
> ball would *almost* hit the switch and you felt that maybe the next time
and
> the next time, you might hit it. Thats when you told me that I probably
> don't have enough magic and that is why I can't hit the switch. So I went
> and got more magic and that was the problem just as you said. I was then
> able to hit the switch with no problem. I found the game so confusing for
> quite a while about magic, health, etc.

That was the exact spot where I first was stuck and spent many hours
throwing the ball. I agree about being confused about the magic at first.
I didn't realize that I had to be appropriately attired in order to utilize
the magic potions.

> My favorite character in the game was Baldino. What was yours?

> > I guess Twinsen. He was brave, courageous and learned to throw that
ball
> > like a major leaguer.

> Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after
Twinsen, -what
> other character did you like?

Hmm. I guess Baldino would be the next character I would choose. I really
liked the DinoFly, though. ;-)
Jeanne

MaryJ

Jan 30, 2001, 8:37:46 PM1/30/01

> > Yes, I liked Twinsen the best too, but I guess I meant after
> Twinsen, -what
> > other character did you like?
>
> Hmm. I guess Baldino would be the next character I would choose. I
really
> liked the DinoFly, though. ;-)
> Jeanne

What I thought was the funniest part of the game was when Twinsen went to
save Baldino at the space station place, and got them out of the locked room
and they all rushed to get out the other door, and Baldino says "the doors
locked - how will we get out" and the way he said it was so very comical -
he kind of whined. Then I thought he was funny when his space ship crashed
and he told Twinsen "go and get me some gas at the gasogem".

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 1:42:06 AM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> So outside of Twinsen and Zoe, which character did you like
> the best ? -;)

Perhaps we should compile a list of all the characters to choose from?
(My mind is boggling already.)

I find it hard to pick a single one apart from Twinsen, Zoe and the
Dinofly
(also a member of the family, so i suppose it should be excluded too).

Some were particularly entertaining in their respective ways.

* The elder brothers of the annoying school kids.
* The scooter driver in Lupinburg square.
* The drunk in Luc's cafe/winebar.
* The weather wizard.
* The quetch who's shyly in love with the pharmacist (Raph's sister).
* Raph's band members (whose names i always forget).
* The magic-academy master.
* His assistant. (Are we on stage or what?)
* Jerome Baldino has been mentioned: how about his spacesuit? :)
* The emperor.
* The head of the underground resistance on Zeelich. (Minds me
of Humphrey Bogart movies.)
* All of the Mosquibees.
* And the Knartas (frankfurter people).
* The other passengers on the spaceflight from Twinsun to Zeelich,
especially the "swedish" guy who's so concerned about his hair.
* The Japanese sphero from Desert Island whose umbrella was stolen.
* The rabbibunny who stole her umbrella.
* The sea captains on Twinsun and Zeelich. (They remind me of
Monkey Island and Serge's Adventures Of Tintin, as does Nebevay
from TLJ.)
* The hungry Wannee.
* The skeleton monster that had to be overcome before you could
obtain the lightning spell - or was that the spell of protection?
* The giant gorilla (another MI reference?) on the drilling platform.
* The numerous guards in the military camp on island CX.
* The sea monsters (near the refinery on Knarta island, and in the
lake on Celebration island).
* Numerous cute and not-so-cute kids of various species.
* The wacky tourists in the reception lounge at Otringal spaceport.
* The crocodiles at the casino in Otringal.
* The gambling addict at the casino.
* The officious guy at the hotel.
* The various dogs. "Yelp! Yelp! Yelp!"
* The sleeping guards in the spaceship complex.
* The poor guard who was electrocuted.
* The Grobo clone with the heavy duty rocket launcher.
* The guards on the moonbase who mob you if you go too near the corner
of the barracks.
* The resistance hero whom you briefly rescue.
* The leprechaun (or whatever he is) at the flower circle and in the
prison
cell.

> I think Zoe (the actress in the game) played a few different
> parts in the game as per the credits. I think she was also Sendell. The
> voice sounded the same. She has a good voice.

Yes, i'd describe Zoe's voice as gentle, mature, and authoritative.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 1:49:25 AM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> What I thought was the funniest part of the game was when Twinsen went to
> save Baldino at the space station place, and got them out of the locked room
> and they all rushed to get out the other door, and Baldino says "the doors
> locked - how will we get out" and the way he said it was so very comical -
> he kind of whined. Then I thought he was funny when his space ship crashed
> and he told Twinsen "go and get me some gas at the gasogem".

Yes, those were good scenes. One of my favorites was another "rush to
escape":
when Twinsen rescues Raph. Since Raph was very quick, i enjoyed
blocking his
way: i was trying to see the path he took. Unfortunately, Zoe would
always
intercept Twinsen just before the exit from the cave.

Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
set path,
but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
Zoe's efforts
to keep Twinsen on the right track. A few times i walked with her into
the sea
- which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim - with
predictable
results. (What an oversight in their education!)

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 1:50:04 AM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > So outside of Twinsen and Zoe, which character did you like
> > the best ? -;)
>
> Perhaps we should compile a list of all the characters to choose from?
> (My mind is boggling already.)
>
> I find it hard to pick a single one apart from Twinsen, Zoe and the
> Dinofly
> (also a member of the family, so i suppose it should be excluded too).
>
> Some were particularly entertaining in their respective ways.
>
> * The elder brothers of the annoying school kids.
> * The scooter driver in Lupinburg square.
> * The drunk in Luc's cafe/winebar.
> * The weather wizard.
> * The quetch who's shyly in love with the pharmacist (Raph's sister).

snipped rest of long list -;).

Now, I am not so sure I should have asked that question - well I DID ask
didn't I? - haha

Geoffrey, you have an amazing memory for all the characters in the game. To
tell you truth I don't know anything like the amount of names of characters
in the game, or the place names you know. How do you know all those names
and I didn't even know about a quetch till you mentioned it a while back.

By the way, who isi the quetch who is in locve with the pharmacist? and how
do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember hearing or
reading that in the game.

I just played the game. It was enough without trying to memorize all the
names you did -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 1:52:51 AM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> >
> > What I thought was the funniest part of the game was when Twinsen went
> > save Baldino at the space station place, and got them out of the locked
room
> > and they all rushed to get out the other door, and Baldino says "the
doors
> > locked - how will we get out" and the way he said it was so very
comical -
> > he kind of whined. Then I thought he was funny when his space ship
crashed
> > and he told Twinsen "go and get me some gas at the gasogem".
>
> Yes, those were good scenes. One of my favorites was another "rush to
> escape":
> when Twinsen rescues Raph. Since Raph was very quick, i enjoyed
> blocking his
> way: i was trying to see the path he took. Unfortunately, Zoe would
> always
> intercept Twinsen just before the exit from the cave.

I tried to see where Raph went too, but like you, never found out.

> Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
> set path,
> but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
> Zoe's efforts
> to keep Twinsen on the right track.

Was that the part they strolled along under their umbrella? That was one of
the cutest parts of the game. I liked it.

A few times i walked with her into
> the sea
> - which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim - with
> predictable
> results. (What an oversight in their education!)

The game wouldn't have been so challenging if they could swimk - especially
if Twinsen could swim.

MaryJ

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 8:46:14 PM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> Geoffrey, you have an amazing memory for all the characters in the game.

When i was a college tutor (1983-84) i memorised the names of the 500 or
so residents over those 2 years. Also most of their faces and for many
of them, a little about their interests, cultural and educational
background, subjects, likes and dislikes, and circles of friends.
All part of the job. Until then, i was more of a loner.

> tell you truth I don't know anything like the amount of names of characters
> in the game, or the place names you know. How do you know all those names
> and I didn't even know about a quetch till you mentioned it a while back.

When i first played TO (about '96 or '97) there was more discussion
about it
in the newsgroups. We learn a lot here.

Also, the second time i played TO i explored more and spoke to
characters
more often. For background information, it's helpful to revisit them
after you've completed a task.

> By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?

I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?

(*) To the right as you face the tent flap.

> and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> hearing or reading that in the game.

If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
deserved it.

In Lupinburg there are very mixed opinions about Raph: those who are
fond of his style of music like him, others think he's a useless misfit,
while a third group don't hold any particular view.

> I just played the game. It was enough without trying to memorize all the
> names you did -;)

What's the name of the Queen of the Mosquibees? <teasing>

Geoffrey Tobin

Jan 31, 2001, 8:51:35 PM1/31/01
MaryJ wrote:

> > Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
> > set path,
> > but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
> > Zoe's efforts
> > to keep Twinsen on the right track.
>
> Was that the part they strolled along under their umbrella?

Yes.

> That was one of the cutest parts of the game. I liked it.

There are 3 words for Twinsen's Odyssey: cute, cuter, cutest.

> A few times i walked with her into
> > the sea
> > - which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim - with
> > predictable
> > results. (What an oversight in their education!)
>

> The game wouldn't have been so challenging if they could swim - especially
> if Twinsen could swim.

I suppose it would have diminished the value of the jet pack,
but steep cliffs, molten lava, weapons fire, monsters, and
other sea-land boundary obstacles, would have taken care of that.

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 9:55:10 PM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > > Immediately after that, Z and T appeared in Lupinburg, walking along a
> > > set path,
> > > but i enjoyed setting off in other directions. You can almost feel
> > > Zoe's efforts
> > > to keep Twinsen on the right track.
> >
> > Was that the part they strolled along under their umbrella?
>
> Yes.
>
> > That was one of the cutest parts of the game. I liked it.
>
> There are 3 words for Twinsen's Odyssey: cute, cuter, cutest.
>
> > A few times i walked with her into
> > > the sea
> > > - which she was very reluctant to do, as neither of them can swim -
with
> > > predictable
> > > results. (What an oversight in their education!)
> >
> > The game wouldn't have been so challenging if they could swim -
especially
> > if Twinsen could swim.
>
> I suppose it would have diminished the value of the jet pack,
> but steep cliffs, molten lava, weapons fire, monsters, and
> other sea-land boundary obstacles, would have taken care of that.

Yes, but the jet pack was a fun part of the game.

MaryJ

Jeanne

Jan 31, 2001, 9:59:08 PM1/31/01
> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote

> > I suppose it would have diminished the value of the jet pack,
> > but steep cliffs, molten lava, weapons fire, monsters, and
> > other sea-land boundary obstacles, would have taken care of that.

> Yes, but the jet pack was a fun part of the game.
> MaryJ

Oh yes. I was just enchanted by the jetpack. I remember playing with it
just for the fun of it. Not really going anywhere...just floating along.
I think I'm going to fire up the game again. All this talk has made me
nostalgic for TO again. ;-)
Jeanne

MaryJ

Jan 31, 2001, 10:00:41 PM1/31/01

> MaryJ wrote:
> > Geoffrey, you have an amazing memory for all the characters in the game.
>
> When i was a college tutor (1983-84) i memorised the names of the 500 or
> so residents over those 2 years. Also most of their faces and for many
> of them, a little about their interests, cultural and educational
> background, subjects, likes and dislikes, and circles of friends.
> All part of the job. Until then, i was more of a loner.

Loner or not, I don't know how you memorized all those peoples interests,
etc.

> > tell you truth I don't know anything like the amount of names of
characters
> > in the game, or the place names you know. How do you know all those
names
> > and I didn't even know about a quetch till you mentioned it a while
back.

> When i first played TO (about '96 or '97) there was more discussion
> about it
> in the newsgroups. We learn a lot here.

Yes, that would certainly help,

> > By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?
>
> I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
> He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
> of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?
>
> (*) To the right as you face the tent flap.
>
> > and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> > hearing or reading that in the game.
>
> If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
> but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
> opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
> care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
> that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
> deserved it.

Wait a minute here - who is in love with who. You said in your paragraph
above that the pharmacist (female) had a bad opinion of her lazy no good
brother, but wasn't the brother the one near the wizards tent? but then
didn't you say he was mooning over the pharmacist. But if the pharmacist is
his sister, that can't be right? Did you mean that Raph is in love with the
pharmacisst?

> > I just played the game. It was enough without trying to memorize all the
> > names you did -;)
>
> What's the name of the Queen of the Mosquibees? <teasing>

I haven't the faintest idea but I'm sure you will tell me -;)

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 1:22:02 AM2/1/01
Jeanne <jep...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Don't tell me that me and Geoffrey got you going on TO again Jeanne -LOL. I
liked the part about the super jetpack when Baldino gave it to Twinsen and
Twinsen had to jump on those rocks. The first time you play that game is
much more challenging than the second time, but its still worth playing
again. The first time I played the game, it took me ages and ages to jump
over these rocks from where Baldino crashed.

I played the game for the second time not long ago. My daughter has had the
game for about 3 weeks and still at the start of the game trying to get the
umbrella. I don't think she is very interested in the game - can you
imagine??

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 3:38:11 PM2/1/01
"MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> Geoffrey Tobin <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote in message
> > MaryJ wrote
> > > By the way, who is the quetch who is in love with the pharmacist?
> >
> > I've forgotten his name, who he's related to, and his job (if any).
> > He's mooning around under a tree on the cliff edge to the right (*)
> > of the weather wizard's tent, so perhaps you can ask him?
> >
> > (*) To the right as you face the tent flap.
> >
> > > and how do you know the pharmacist is Raph's sister? I don't remember
> > > hearing or reading that in the game.
> >
> > If you ask around often enough, you'll hear. After i heard about Raph,
> > but before i rescued him, i visited the pharmacy, and she told me her
> > opinion of her lazy, no-good, guitar-strumming brother. She didn't
> > care what had happened to him. I was under the strong impression
> > that if the Tralu had eaten him, she would consider that he
> > deserved it.
>
> Wait a minute here - who is in love with who. You said in your paragraph
> above that the pharmacist (female) had a bad opinion of her lazy no good
> brother, but wasn't the brother the one near the wizards tent? but then
> didn't you say he was mooning over the pharmacist. But if the pharmacist
is
> his sister, that can't be right? Did you mean that Raph is in love with
the
> pharmacist?

The guy near the wizard's tent is in love with the pharmacist.
Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.
I think the Tralu ate Raph's guitar.

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 4:02:34 PM2/1/01

> The first time I played the game, it took me a long time to figure out
about
> the lift and how to get the boxes up and down. I can't say exactly how
long,
> but I did have to look at the walklthrough and then when I did get it
right,
> my own solution was different than the walkthrough anyway - since I
couldn't
> seem to figure it the same way as the walkthrough, so I think there are a
> few different ways of getting the boxes up and down. The second time it
> still took me a while,but not as long as the first time around. I figured
> out how to work the lift quickly, it was the boxes which gave me trouble

and
> the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim.

I'm trying to think how you'd get around to push the box that started
out near the left side elevator if you didn't jump the spikes. Did
you push the box that was on the floor onto the elevator, push
the elevator button, and somehow jump onto the elevator with the
box before it got too high?

> When I pushed
> the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be the
> most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find that
> to be a problem?

Sort of a nuisance, but not unsolvable. You have to get around
behind the box to push it. Sometimes you could push it diagonally
for a little while, but eventually Twinsen would lose his grip. And
then he'd grab the box and push it where you didn't want him to
unless you backed away from the box first. I never figured out
how to get him to pull the box properly. That always seemed
to happen by accident when I didn't want it to.

When I saw the lazy guy wasn't going to let me watch him load
the box, I got disgusted and went back to a save and figured out
the puzzle myself. I found the key by accident. I thought maybe
jumping on top of that little box that was on top of the 2 black crates
would allow me to jump somewhere else and maybe find a
switch. Instead the box disappeared and there was that key.
Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 5:21:50 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > The first time I played the game, it took me a long time to figure out
> about
> > the lift and how to get the boxes up and down. I can't say exactly how
> long,
> > but I did have to look at the walklthrough and then when I did get it
> right,
> > my own solution was different than the walkthrough anyway - since I
> couldn't
> > seem to figure it the same way as the walkthrough, so I think there are
> > few different ways of getting the boxes up and down. The second time it
> > still took me a while,but not as long as the first time around. I
figured
> > out how to work the lift quickly, it was the boxes which gave me trouble
> and
> > the same problem that I had with them at the baggage claim.
>
> I'm trying to think how you'd get around to push the box that started
> out near the left side elevator if you didn't jump the spikes. Did
> you push the box that was on the floor onto the elevator, push
> the elevator button, and somehow jump onto the elevator with the
> box before it got too high?

I was never able to get over the spikes in that part of the game. As near as
I can recall, I pushed the box onto the elevator and stood as far over to
the left side of the elevator as possible and threw the ball in discreet
mode so it would hit the switch.

Are you at that part of the game already Jenny? it took me ages and ages to
get to that point - even with a walkthru.. I didn't use the codes though -:)

> > When I pushed
> > the arrow forward or left arrow, etc. the box didn't seem to go in the
> > direction of the arrow I was using on my keyboard. I found that to be
the
> > most annoying thing about the boxes in that part of the game and in the
> > baggage claim, and it was the reason I gave the lazy guy the money. Too
> > frustrating with those boxes not going the right way. Didn't you find
that
> > to be a problem?
>
> Sort of a nuisance, but not unsolvable. You have to get around
> behind the box to push it. Sometimes you could push it diagonally
> for a little while, but eventually Twinsen would lose his grip. And
> then he'd grab the box and push it where you didn't want him to
> unless you backed away from the box first. I never figured out
> how to get him to pull the box properly. That always seemed
> to happen by accident when I didn't want it to.

that was the problem I had - I would push the box, but when I would take my
finger off the mouse button, the box had moved in a direction I didn't want
it to. It seemed like a minor glitch in the game itself. I don't think the
box should have moved when I took my finger off the mouse button.

I saw the lazy guy wasn't going to let me watch him load
> the box, I got disgusted and went back to a save and figured out
> the puzzle myself. I found the key by accident. I thought maybe
> jumping on top of that little box that was on top of the 2 black crates
> would allow me to jump somewhere else and maybe find a
> switch. Instead the box disappeared and there was that key.

You mean you didn't need to pay the lazy guy to get the box for you? you got
the box through the whole place by yourself - how did you manage that? I
lost patience with that part because of never getting the box to go the way
I needed it to go and just went out and got more money and paid the guy. (by
the way, everybody keeps calling him lazy - maybe he was just on his break).

> Punching out that rude postal worker was a pleasure.
> What a wussie he was. Went down with one punch.

what postal worker?

MaryJ

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 5:25:35 PM2/1/01
Jenny100 <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Yes, wasn't that the guy around the corner from the wizards tent, sitting
by the tree - he is in love with the pharmacist. right?

> Raph's fiancee is usually found near the lighthouse.

What did Raphs fiancee look like? I don't remember her at this moment.

> I think the Tralu ate Raph's guitar.

MaryJ

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 6:56:00 PM2/1/01