RIVEN SUCKS WORSE THAN MYST, AND MYST !SUCKED! BIG TIME!!

56 views
Skip to first unread message

cl...@ans.com.au

unread,
Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97
to

Pardon?

Is this, or is this not, a "game" with rendered pictures you click on
which then takes you to other pictures?

I must be missing something here.

P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the people
ALL of the time.

Is the entire planet in the grips of some kind of media-induced mass
hallucination with this game?

When does the gameplay part start? I have a friend who finished this
"game" in one day. (?) Faux Pas amateurish pseudo-mystical gibberish
notwithstanding.

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Rollo the Talking Dragon

unread,
Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97
to

Cleve regurgitated:

>If you are not disgusted with Broderbund's ability to manipulate media
>sources around their release date, it is because you really are not
>interested in games at all.

If you hate Broderbund so much, why are you playing their game and giving
them your money???

Fred Quattrone


cl...@ans.com.au wrote in article <8784901...@dejanews.com>...

David Thompson

unread,
Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97
to

Caps lock key broken, Cleve? Or were you screaming out loud as you
came up with that tabloid subject header?
You need to sit out on the back of that Aussie house of yours,
smoke a few joints, and quietly watch the clouds go overhead. It would
do wonders for your state of mind.

On Sun, 02 Nov 1997 11:11:22 -0600, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

<snip>

____________________________________________
'Give me back the Berlin Wall,
Give me Stalin or Saint Paul.
I've seen the future, baby,
It is murder.'
- Leonard Cohen, "The Future"

To email me, remove the capital letters from my address.

EDW

unread,
Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97
to

look people, if you're going to critique a game, please have a critique. It
would probably
help to actually play the game before making a fool of yourself in a public
forum.

cl...@ans.com.au wrote in message <8784901...@dejanews.com>...


>Pardon?
>Is this, or is this not, a "game" with rendered pictures you click on
>which then takes you to other pictures?

Well there are several quick time movies which function as transitions
between "pictures", but
even if the game was simply a series of "rendered pictures", what exactly is
your point? Does that make the pictures somehow less breathtaking?


>I must be missing something here.

it seems you're missing any semblence of an actual argument or critique
of the game.

>P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the people
>ALL of the time.

actually i think PT Barnum said the exact opposite, but as long as you're
wasting bandwidth whining
about how bad you think the game is, you might as well misquote a few people
in the process, eh?

>Is the entire planet in the grips of some kind of media-induced mass
>hallucination with this game?

one wonders what has induced the hallucination which led you to believe that
your post was in the
least bit interesting.

>When does the gameplay part start? I have a friend who finished this
>"game" in one day. (?) Faux Pas amateurish pseudo-mystical gibberish
>notwithstanding.

congratulate your friend for me. I'm sure he enjoyed the journey.

helmet

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to


> Caps lock key broken, Cleve? Or were you screaming out loud as you
>came up with that tabloid subject header?
> You need to sit out on the back of that Aussie house of yours,
>smoke a few joints, and quietly watch the clouds go overhead. It would
>do wonders for your state of mind

there no clouds in aussie MATE


M. Keane

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

I haven't played Riven so I can't comment on it but...

In article <8784901...@dejanews.com>, <cl...@ans.com.au> wrote:
>Pardon?
>
>Is this, or is this not, a "game" with rendered pictures you click on
>which then takes you to other pictures?

It's a screenshow pretending to be a game.

>I must be missing something here.

So am I.

>Is the entire planet in the grips of some kind of media-induced mass
>hallucination with this game?

I'm beginning to think so. I'm still trying to figure out what was so
bloody wonderful about Myst. It's the epitome of eye candy. No gameplay,
simple puzzles, no plot, but the graphics are pretty damn good.

It may not be so bad, however. I figure the vast majority of "Myst buyers"
never actually purchased the game; it was bundled with just about
everything.

Myst-haters of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your
screenshows!
--
Micheal (Chris) Keane - Associate Professor of Gravitational Morality
University of Edicara
Join the Church of Last Thursday and worship Queen Maeve! E-mail me to join.
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~aexia/thursday.htm

James

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997 17:05:14 -0500, "EDW" <ha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
-snip--snip-

>>P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the people
>>ALL of the time.
>
>actually i think PT Barnum said the exact opposite, but as long as you're
>wasting bandwidth whining
>about how bad you think the game is, you might as well misquote a few people
>in the process, eh?
-snip-

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people
all the time, but you can not fool all the people all of the time."

There is some debate about who actually said it, though.

James

Brain Death

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

On Mon, 03 Nov 1997 01:37:23 GMT, ja...@tricanis.com (James), clearly under the influence
of several strong ales, claimed:

>>cl...@ans.com.au wrote in message <8784901...@dejanews.com>...
>-snip-
>>>P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the people
>>>ALL of the time.

>"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people


>all the time, but you can not fool all the people all of the time."
>
>There is some debate about who actually said it, though.

Not among historians. Abe Lincoln gave the quote in quotation marks. What Barnum said
was "There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him."

BD

Mark Asher

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

ja...@tricanis.com (James) wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Nov 1997 17:05:14 -0500, "EDW" <ha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>-snip-

>>cl...@ans.com.au wrote in message <8784901...@dejanews.com>...
>-snip-
>>>P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the people
>>>ALL of the time.
>>

>>actually i think PT Barnum said the exact opposite, but as long as you're
>>wasting bandwidth whining
>>about how bad you think the game is, you might as well misquote a few people
>>in the process, eh?
>-snip-
>

>"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people
>all the time, but you can not fool all the people all of the time."
>
>There is some debate about who actually said it, though.

Didn't Barnum say "There's a sucker born every minute." I think the
"You can fool all...." statement is from Lincoln. Then there's
Mencken's "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the
American public."

ILIA a.k.a Tex

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

> > Hmmmmm.....since you thought that MYST sucked, I'd be curious why you
> > would buy the sequel, except that maybe you're just the lame-ass
> > stupid motherfucker that you appear to be on the surface....
> >
> > Or is it that you haven't even played the game, you're just a dumbshit
> > that whines about things you don't know about because you have no
> > life, and nothing else to do? Perhaps if you had a job....


And BTW, It's nothing personal. You might even be right about that shit
head, but that doesn't give you the right to WRITE what you did


Garry Kibler

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

Download, play follow instructions.

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Description: "UU encode of calmly.wav by Wincode v2.6.1"
Message-ID: <336720109073068_calmly.wav>
Content-Type: audio\X-wav; name="calmly.wav"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: X-uuencode
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="calmly.wav"

begin 644 calmly.wav
<encoded_portion_removed>
end
sum -r/size 57837/283920


Garry Kibler
Kibl...@ucarb.com

ILIA a.k.a Tex

unread,
Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to

MONKEYBOY <B...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<345d6447...@news.pacbell.net>...

> On Sun, 02 Nov 1997 11:11:22 -0600, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:
>
> >Pardon?
> >
> >Is this, or is this not, a "game" with rendered pictures you click on
> >which then takes you to other pictures?
> >
> >I must be missing something here.
> >
> >P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the
people
> >ALL of the time.
> >
> >Is the entire planet in the grips of some kind of media-induced mass
> >hallucination with this game?
>
> Hmmmmm.....since you thought that MYST sucked, I'd be curious why you
> would buy the sequel, except that maybe you're just the lame-ass
> stupid motherfucker that you appear to be on the surface....
>
> Or is it that you haven't even played the game, you're just a dumbshit
> that whines about things you don't know about because you have no
> life, and nothing else to do? Perhaps if you had a job....

HEY MONKEY BOY!

I don't care about your little conflict about Riven. But I do care when
someone savagely insult another guy without proper reason! HE HAS HIS
OPINION! LEAVE HIM ALONE!
If you want to say something badly, say your own opinion! BUT DON'T FUCKING
SWEAR LIKE A PUSSY, BECAUSE EVERYBODY CAN DO THAT! And if I'm not mistaken
we live in a liberal society where everyone CAN have his own opinion,
unless he's offending someone directly! YOU GOT THAT! KEEP IT MIND FOR THE
NEXT TIME!

ILIA

KS Bennett

unread,
Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97
to

cl...@ans.com.au wrote in article
<a lot of generalistic, semi-insulting, gibberish snipped>


> When does the gameplay part start? I have a friend who finished this
> "game" in one day. (?) Faux Pas amateurish pseudo-mystical gibberish
> notwithstanding.

The joy of these 2 games comes from the exploration and figuring out how
to solve a puzzle of many parts. Puzzles are games too. 'Gameplay' is not
restricted to mindless shoot em ups and counting how many 'bad guys' you
killed off. Some people like exploring and puzzle solving - using their
brain, in other words. If you don't, don't play it.
If you hated MYST so darn much, why did you even look at RIVEN. Fine if
you want to hate it - but do you think those who love this game are going
to change their minds because of what *YOU* say?
Good grief....the immaturity in many of these 'Riven sucks' threads is
appalling.
A hearty thank you to those of you who post intelligent, non-name calling,
and informative posts, about RIVEN or any other game.

Kim

--

Remove the 'spam' in email address to reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The Official Chris Cooper Admiration Society*
If you loved 'Matewan', Lonestar' etc...please join us!
http://www.scruz.net/~puma/ccstart.htm

ILIA a.k.a Tex

unread,
Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97
to

> Freedom of speech includes both the right to voice an opinion and the
right to
> criticize that opinion. It also allows that opinion to be vulgar or
insulting,
> and allows you to insult the insulter. However, using vulgar insults may
cause
> others to think less highly of your mental capabilities and therefore
weakens
> your argument.
>
> Dob Bole 2000

I agree that this completely correct, but sometimes we all have outbursts
of violence.
It's in our animal nature, or is it? :)

ILIA

Dob Bole

unread,
Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97
to


ILIA a.k.a Tex wrote:

Case in point being ILIA a.k.a Tex.


> And if I'm not mistaken
> we live in a liberal society where everyone CAN have his own opinion,
> unless he's offending someone directly! YOU GOT THAT! KEEP IT MIND FOR THE
> NEXT TIME!

Freedom of speech includes both the right to voice an opinion and the right to

Critical Bill

unread,
Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97
to

On 3 Nov 1997 01:28:30 GMT, ae...@u.washington.edu (M. Keane) wrote:

>It may not be so bad, however. I figure the vast majority of "Myst buyers"
>never actually purchased the game; it was bundled with just about
>everything.

Almost as much as 7th Guest was, and we all know how well 11th Hour
sold. :>

If Broderbund expects another 3.5 million slaes, they'd better start
bundling it with Creative Labs stuff.


-
Exclusive Nippolena Interview!! http://www.pathcom.com/~kenl/interview.htm

critic...@super.zippo.com

Ralph Jones

unread,
Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97
to

cl...@ans.com.au wrote:

> [snip]

> Faux Pas amateurish

Hey, c'mon. If you're going to snow the unwashed with your knowledge of
foreign phrases, learn what they mean. rj

Kenny Kay

unread,
Nov 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/5/97
to

In article <01bce86e$b20bdde0$15b8a8c6@ikushn>, "ILIA a.k.a Tex"
<iku...@po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> MONKEYBOY <B...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
> <345d6447...@news.pacbell.net>...
> > On Sun, 02 Nov 1997 11:11:22 -0600, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:
> >
> > >Pardon?
> > >
> > >Is this, or is this not, a "game" with rendered pictures you click on
> > >which then takes you to other pictures?
> > >
> > >I must be missing something here.
> > >
> > >P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the
> people
> > >ALL of the time.
> > >
> > >Is the entire planet in the grips of some kind of media-induced mass
> > >hallucination with this game?
> >
> > Hmmmmm.....since you thought that MYST sucked, I'd be curious why you
> > would buy the sequel, except that maybe you're just the lame-ass
> > stupid motherfucker that you appear to be on the surface....
> >
> > Or is it that you haven't even played the game, you're just a dumbshit
> > that whines about things you don't know about because you have no
> > life, and nothing else to do? Perhaps if you had a job....
>
> HEY MONKEY BOY!
>
> I don't care about your little conflict about Riven. But I do care when
> someone savagely insult another guy without proper reason! HE HAS HIS
> OPINION! LEAVE HIM ALONE!
> If you want to say something badly, say your own opinion! BUT DON'T FUCKING

> SWEAR LIKE A PUSSY, BECAUSE EVERYBODY CAN DO THAT! And if I'm not mistaken


> we live in a liberal society where everyone CAN have his own opinion,
> unless he's offending someone directly! YOU GOT THAT! KEEP IT MIND FOR THE
> NEXT TIME!
>

> ILIA

Talk about it! You go girl!

jwilliam

unread,
Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97
to

On Wed, 05 Nov 1997 18:42:31 -0500, deat...@hotmail.com (Kenny Kay)
wrote:

Sexist.

You go person!


ILIA a.k.a Tex

unread,
Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97
to

>
> Talk about it! You go girl!
>

A girl? Me? What the hell you've been drinking Lady?

ILIA

mbowen

unread,
Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97
to

the fact that riven doesn't appeal to anyone who would write such a
juvenile title is a perfectly good reason for any adult to buy it.

|Pardon?
|
|Is this, or is this not, a "game" with rendered pictures you click on
|which then takes you to other pictures?
|
|I must be missing something here.
|
|P.T. Barnum was right. This game is proof you CAN fool some of the people
|ALL of the time.
|
|Is the entire planet in the grips of some kind of media-induced mass
|hallucination with this game?
|

|When does the gameplay part start? I have a friend who finished this
|"game" in one day. (?) Faux Pas amateurish pseudo-mystical gibberish
|notwithstanding.
|

|-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
| http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

----------------------------------------------------------------------
michael bowen
standard disclaimers apply arbor field services group
----------------------------------------------------------------------
mbo...@panix.com 800.393.5417
mbo...@arborsoft.com 404.239.5767

Graber-PC

unread,
Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97
to


mbowen <spam...@spampanix.com> wrote in article
<648316$u...@camel19.mindspring.com>...


> In article <8784901...@dejanews.com>, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:
>
> the fact that riven doesn't appeal to anyone who would write such a
> juvenile title is a perfectly good reason for any adult to buy it.
>
>

Yeahh because it takes a "adult" to imagine that their is actual game
inside riven. Most other people might think it was just a collection of
static pictures with a few levers to pull down. I could build a better
game then myst with VACTIVE and 3 SGI's (no programing at all)


Matthew W Buckley

unread,
Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97
to

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg: 13-Nov-97 Re: RIVEN
SUCKS WORSE THAN .. by "Graber-PC"@mail90.mitre

And, I suppose, since you don't have VACTIVE and 3 SGI's, we can't
suggest that you try?

_ _ __
/ \/ \ | | | | |__| | | /__ Read it upside <*>
| | | \__|___|__ | |__ | | \ down!
| | | __ | __|___|__ | | |
| | __| | | | \ | | | ###################################
| | |__| | | | | \_/\_/ # Matthew Buckley: sau...@cmu.edu #
###################################
Homepage URL: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew/usr/sauron/www/

spectre911

unread,
Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97
to

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:26:46 -0500, Matthew W Buckley
<sau...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>>
>> Yeahh because it takes a "adult" to imagine that their is actual game
>> inside riven. Most other people might think it was just a collection of
>> static pictures with a few levers to pull down. I could build a better
>> game then myst with VACTIVE and 3 SGI's (no programing at all)
>>
>
>And, I suppose, since you don't have VACTIVE and 3 SGI's, we can't
>suggest that you try?

I could do a better game with a pencil, a pad of paper and 2 six
sided dice. In fact, I could do a better game with a TV, a VCR and a
randomly selected video tape. Actually, this thread is a better game.

ne...@this.com

unread,
Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97
to

On 13 Nov 1997 18:43:14 GMT, "Graber-PC" <gra...@mail90.mitre.org>
wrote:

>
>
>mbowen <spam...@spampanix.com> wrote in article
><648316$u...@camel19.mindspring.com>...
>> In article <8784901...@dejanews.com>, cl...@ans.com.au wrote:
>>
>> the fact that riven doesn't appeal to anyone who would write such a
>> juvenile title is a perfectly good reason for any adult to buy it.
>>
>>
>

>Yeahh because it takes a "adult" to imagine that their is actual game
>inside riven. Most other people might think it was just a collection of
>static pictures with a few levers to pull down. I could build a better
>game then myst with VACTIVE and 3 SGI's (no programing at all)

DO it then and quit wasting time here.

Tony Wong

unread,
Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97
to

The first time I played Myst (I thought I was playing a game),
I looked at a few slide and that is the end of the story for me.
However it is one of the best selling games out there. That is
to tell you what kind of people dominate the buyer market and what
marketing and advertising can do to promote a product. A good lesson
for me.

If you have never played any other games before, you might think
it is pretty good!!

Tony Wong

spectre911

unread,
Nov 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/15/97
to

On 15 Nov 1997 01:57:37 GMT, gs...@ix.netcom.com(GSkip) wrote:

>>I could do a better game with a pencil, a pad of paper and 2 six
>>sided dice. In fact, I could do a better game with a TV, a VCR and a
>>randomly selected video tape. Actually, this thread is a better game.
>

> Oh yeah. You're the guy that knew how to fix all the problems with
>UO. Till you hit someone who really knew what he was talking about.

I am? Which problems was I trying to fix with UO and who was it who
really knew what they were talking about?

GSkip

unread,
Nov 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/15/97
to

In <346c7eb6.275386090@news> spectre911 @ hotmail.com (Thrasher)
writes:
>
>On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:26:46 -0500, Matthew W Buckley
><sau...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>>>
>>> Yeahh because it takes a "adult" to imagine that their is actual
game
>>> inside riven. Most other people might think it was just a
collection of
>>> static pictures with a few levers to pull down. I could build a
better
>>> game then myst with VACTIVE and 3 SGI's (no programing at all)

>>And, I suppose, since you don't have VACTIVE and 3 SGI's, we can't
>>suggest that you try?
>


>I could do a better game with a pencil, a pad of paper and 2 six
>sided dice. In fact, I could do a better game with a TV, a VCR and a
>randomly selected video tape. Actually, this thread is a better game.

Oh yeah. You're the guy that knew how to fix all the problems with
UO. Till you hit someone who really knew what he was talking about.

Disoriented Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Dllem

unread,
Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97
to

>If you have never played any other games before, you might think
>it is pretty good!!

Never thought of that :o)

heh..


_ _
+---ooo---ooo-----------+
Remove the i from the
email address to reply

*smile*

+--==--==--=-=--==--==--+

Mark Gerlach

unread,
Apr 14, 2022, 5:46:37 PMApr 14
to
MYST holds a special place of nostalgia for those of us who craved accessible content in the '90s, but that does not mean the franchise gets a “free pass” from criticism or exemption from censorship. The games still employed sexist tropes and game mechanics that enforced/internalized misogynistic ideology (granted, to a lesser degree than other games at the time) in the individual minds that were participating in this male-created adventure. The supplemental books and comics that were released were a little better in their depiction/treatment of female characters, but not by much, and managed to gain a cult-like following amongst the less developed minds of that generation. It would have been better for all if MYST was sequestered to the nostalgic past, but in the last two decades, there have been attempts to resurrect the franchise onto the "big screen" in the form of a movie or series. These attempts have mostly self-destructed under poor management, but the project keeps getting passed to larger studios, and I would be lying if I said I was not worried about the continued proliferation of '90s era game misogyny in modern media. We were too late to stop another Mortal Kombat and a Halo series, but we can stop this. If you consider yourself to be a feminist, please consider searching for (and signing) the “Stop movie based sexist Myst video game series" on Change . org that calls for the ceasing of “any-and-all progress on creating a movie or TV series based on the misogynistic video game franchise of Myst" (Or search for “Myst is sexist” as an easier keyword search).
Even if they modernize the content for the movie or series, people will possibly want to explore the source material and ingest the inherent sexism therein. It must end. As my favorite line in the new Star Wars movies suggests, we must "let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."
Please note, that I am not the author of the petition, but I do believe in it.

S P

unread,
Jun 1, 2022, 7:08:09 PMJun 1
to
I've heard of necrothreading but this is the most egregious example of it I've ever seen... Many of the people in the original thread are probably already dead Mark...
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages