DOOM isn't running ! ???

Bob Glass

Dec 10, 1993, 3:06:03 PM12/10/93

I just got DOOMed! I have installed it and ..... then nothing...

I am running on a 486DX33 8mb with dos 5.0 himem.sys emm386.exe noems
and it hangs.

in setup, i use only keyboard and speaker for sound effects...no sound card

When i run DOOM it hangs after
DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.94a
Copyright etc...

What's up? anyone else having problems?

Bob

Taylor Gautier

Dec 10, 1993, 3:53:38 PM12/10/93
Bob Glass (rmg...@cs.tamu.edu) wrote:

: I just got DOOMed! I have installed it and ..... then nothing...

Oh no. It's started already. Help me, my DOOM won't run. We are in for it.

: Bob

--
Taylor Gautier -- ez00...@hamlet.ucdavis.edu

*LANDFILLS SAVE ENERGY*
"By covering depressions in the landscape, landfills
make the surface of the earth smoother. This enables
the earth to move more easily through space, saving
huge amounts of orbital energy."

-50 Simple Things YOU Can Do To Pave The Earth

Jake Page

Dec 10, 1993, 4:49:47 PM12/10/93
Definitely lives up to all the hype... I did run into a bug, though.
I was screwing around with the "punching", punched a door (why, I
don't know...) and it died (nice vertical lines and a crash). Not
really a problem, I just won't go around punching the doors anymore...

Jake

R S Rodgers

Dec 10, 1993, 5:40:02 PM12/10/93
In article <1993Dec10.2...@leland.stanford.edu>,

Count me as reporting the second bug. On the second building,
just inside the dark room with the invisible demon and the pink
demon, I got backed into a corner and...

The game went insane. It seemed to think that I was surrounded
by walls (e.g., shotgun bursts looked like they were exploding
right in front of me), but I could walk around. *Through*
everything, and nothing could see or attack me. Like the effect
you get when the clipping is turned off in wolf3d.

--
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.

Mike Batchelor

Dec 10, 1993, 11:02:30 PM12/10/93
Bob Glass (rmg...@cs.tamu.edu) wrote:

: I just got DOOMed! I have installed it and ..... then nothing...

Yes Yes Yes! See my post "DOOM Blows Itself Away". I crash shortly after
you do, with NO memory managers at all, and all the sound turned off.
I've even taken cards out, but it still crashes.

I also have a 486/33. What is your chipset? Mine is OPTi 82C495SX.
Video is Fahrenheit 1280 VLB.

It runs fine on a PS/2 Model 90 at work, but with squawker effects only.

--
Mike Batchelor |
mik...@netcom.com | This space for rent

Scott Streeter

Dec 10, 1993, 10:58:27 PM12/10/93

Works fine for me. Looks cool. I had memery problems at first, but I
booted off a floppy and it seems to be working flawlessly.
--
Scott Streeter
s...@wpi.wpi.edu

Ken Jordan

Dec 10, 1993, 11:35:42 PM12/10/93
I've tried both the doom1_0.zip and the doom1_{a,b,c}.zip's...
all of them unzip, deice and "build" fine, but hang when trying
to run doom.exe. I'm running on a 486/33, w/ EMS386, 8M RAM, with
a SB. I downloaded the doom1_0.zip from ftp.uwp.edu, and the
doom1_a.zip et al from ftp.uml.edu (sp?). I've tried re-unzipping
and building twice without success in getting it to run.

When using doom1_0.zip, i get the start up messages, all the way down
to where it starts sound, then it stops and the disk drive is accessed
occasionally, then the error "Drive not ready error reading drive"
followed by a LOT of "smiling faces" (ie. unprintable screen characters)
followed by the standard "Abort/Retry/Fail/..." message. At this point
the system is hung and requires a hard boot.

The other error (from using the a,b,c version) doesn't seem to get as
far as the earlier one, it hangs while starting the "refresh daemon"
with a message to the affect "PNAMES not found." or "unable to find PNAMES".

I've never had problem running games before (perhaps i've been lucky!).
Has anyone been successful at running it yet??

Ken
--
Ken Jordan |Definition: hill-bil-ly (hil-bil-ee)
k...@sw.stratus.com |n. 1. Someone from a remote rural area (e.g. Arkansas)

Sean Flynn

Dec 11, 1993, 12:40:37 AM12/11/93
josh...@aludra.usc.edu (Joshua Ling) writes:

>In article <2eakrb$r...@TAMUTS.TAMU.EDU> rmg...@cs.tamu.edu (Bob Glass) writes:

>>When i run DOOM it hangs after
>>DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.94a
>>Copyright etc...

> I get the same problem. When I try and use QEMM it does this
>also. But sometimes I get some QEMM warnings.

>Exception #13 at 6C14:0000, errorcode:0000
>AX=0000 BX=0000 CX=0002 DX=A000 SI=6474 DI=0080 BP=6458
>DS=0098 ES= SS=1E07 SP=21E6 Flags=7202

> Help! I tried running without QEMM and I either get another
>dos prompt with no attempt in game play or the same lock up after
>the copyright listed above.

HELP! I get the same problem, no matter what I do! I tried several
different autoexecs and configs (even got rid of both!) and DOOM still
won't run! If anyone has managed to fix this, I'd appreciate it.
I'm on a 486 DX/50, with 4mb of RAM, no sound card, and no joystick
(just a mouse and keyboard for input) I have a Trident video card, too
if that helps. (TVGA)

Sean
sean...@sfu.ca

Derek A. Coulter

Dec 11, 1993, 9:12:53 AM12/11/93
>>> I just got DOOM! I have installed it and

YES!!! The same thing is happening on my machine, which is practically
the same! I've taken all but HIMEM.SYS out of CONFIG.SYS and all but
emptied AUTOEXEC.BAT, turned off all sound in DOOM's SETUP program, and it
still won't run properly. It either prints those two initial lines about
the DOS extender and just comes back to the DOS prompt, gets into the
"DOOM Operating System" and hangs there after a few lines, or gets as far
as the title screen (with a couple of notes if the music is turned on)
then either hangs or reboots the computer.

Profound disappointment!

Help, anyone? I can provide specific info about my setup if anyone can
help.

--
Derek Coulter <cs...@blaze.trentu.ca>

Alan Campo

Dec 11, 1993, 9:43:38 AM12/11/93
Someone posted the idea of removing your coprocessor if you're getting
the title screen bug. I'd like to confirm that. I have a 386-40 with a
co-processor, and no matter what I tried, DOOM wouldn't run... until I
popped out the co-processor chip.
Another bug solved?

| Joe Hughes | henl...@tigger.jvnc.net | BE TRUE | INSOC, GUS, LIFE |

Joshua Ling

Dec 10, 1993, 7:09:35 PM12/10/93
In article <2eakrb$r...@TAMUTS.TAMU.EDU> rmg...@cs.tamu.edu (Bob Glass) writes:

>When i run DOOM it hangs after
>DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.94a
>Copyright etc...

I get the same problem. When I try and use QEMM it does this

also. But sometimes I get some QEMM warnings.

Exception #13 at 6C14:0000, errorcode:0000
AX=0000 BX=0000 CX=0002 DX=A000 SI=6474 DI=0080 BP=6458
DS=0098 ES= SS=1E07 SP=21E6 Flags=7202

Help! I tried running without QEMM and I either get another
dos prompt with no attempt in game play or the same lock up after
the copyright listed above.

-josh...@usc.edu

Denis R. Papp

Dec 11, 1993, 5:19:33 AM12/11/93
rmg...@cs.tamu.edu (Bob Glass) writes:

Plenty 'o problems... Read my posts (something ala 'Doom dissapointment')

Does your system crash RIGHT AFTER DOS4GW...?
It freezes or goes back to the prompt? That means you CANT RUN ANYTHING
with DOS4GW - sorry, you lose, too bad. Hope you didnt pay money yet

Thats what happened on the 486 here, crashes on any program that
uses DOS4GW - and as far as I know no one on the net knows anything about
it. Hopefully some technical people at ID do... I mean that would
be stupid if DOS4GW were that incompatible

There are others too...

--

Denis Papp dp...@cs.ualberta.ca
dp...@amisk.cs.ualberta.ca

MARTIN J WITKOWSKI

Dec 11, 1993, 11:11:03 AM12/11/93
I believe our problems are caused by some sort of an instruction being
executed by DOS4GW.EXE which is not present in our CPU's.

Another words, ID GET A DOS4GW.EXE version 1.8!!!!

REESE LOWELL J.

Dec 11, 1993, 12:18:48 PM12/11/93
In article <CHvoy...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
>I believe our problems are caused by some sort of an instruction being
>executed by DOS4GW.EXE which is not present in our CPU's.

I'm just adding my name to the list of those experiencing this problem.
I'm using a 386/33 with 4MEG, SB16, Diamond Speedstar 24x, EMM386, etc.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

L. Jack Reese

.

richard yen-ching chang

Dec 11, 1993, 3:28:30 PM12/11/93
In article <2ecvdo$i...@hamblin.math.byu.edu> re...@bert.cs.byu.edu (REESE LOWELL J.) writes:
>In article <CHvoy...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
>>I believe our problems are caused by some sort of an instruction being
>>executed by DOS4GW.EXE which is not present in our CPU's.
>>
>I'm just adding my name to the list of those experiencing this problem.
>I'm using a 386/33 with 4MEG, SB16, Diamond Speedstar 24x, EMM386, etc.

I have Doom running on my 386/40 with 4mb and EMM386; these are the pieces
simular to your set up, so I don't believe that they could be the problem
(ran it without any extended memory, and with everything thrown into it).

As for the other stuff, I have a plain vanilla Trident, 1mb RAM video card and
a PAStudio (not sure if there is a difference between it and the Spectrem 16)
in SoundBlaster emulation mode (220 1 5).

Other than what I have referenced, I can be of no greater help, sorry.

Richard y Chang
ryc...@midway.uchicago.edu

Sergey Brin

Dec 11, 1993, 4:15:37 PM12/11/93
In article <2eb33v$i...@aludra.usc.edu> josh...@aludra.usc.edu (Joshua Ling) writes:
>In article <2eakrb$r...@TAMUTS.TAMU.EDU> rmg...@cs.tamu.edu (Bob Glass) writes:
>
>>When i run DOOM it hangs after
>>DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.94a
>>Copyright etc...
>
> I get the same problem. When I try and use QEMM it does this
>also. But sometimes I get some QEMM warnings.

Same problem here. However, it gets substantially farther under Windows 3.0.
It tells be something about purgable blocks not having owners and quits.
It works under OS/2 2.0 (yes, I know my software is out of date) except I
can't get any sound fx from my SB.

Other than that it is an excellent game as many others have noted.
The music could use a little work though.

My configuration is a 486 DX50 w 8M. The motherboard has the "SiS" chipset.
Let me know if you find a solution to any of these problems.

--sergey

Daniel Lundh

Dec 11, 1993, 5:04:15 AM12/11/93

> : I just got DOOMed! I have installed it and ..... then nothing...
> : I am running on a 486DX33 8mb with dos 5.0 himem.sys emm386.exe noems
> : and it hangs.
> : in setup, i use only keyboard and speaker for sound effects...no sound card
>

> Yes Yes Yes! See my post "DOOM Blows Itself Away". I crash shortly after
> you do, with NO memory managers at all, and all the sound turned off.
> I've even taken cards out, but it still crashes.
>
> I also have a 486/33. What is your chipset? Mine is OPTi 82C495SX.
> Video is Fahrenheit 1280 VLB.
>
> It runs fine on a PS/2 Model 90 at work, but with squawker effects only.

It runs fine under OS/2 2.1 as well. Smooth as hell!
(Tseng 4000 OptiLB)

I'm not leaving the house 'til 94!;-)

---
dan...@brax.se
Hallonsaft!

MARTIN J WITKOWSKI

Dec 11, 1993, 3:21:23 PM12/11/93
I think the common denominator may be the fact that I too have an Opti
chipset.
I have a 386-33 and it, too craps out.

Down with ID :)

Denis R. Papp

Dec 11, 1993, 5:02:30 PM12/11/93

>Profound disappointment!

Your problem is not with DOOM, but with DOS4GW. Someone mentioned to
me that your problem is probably with your motherboard being incompatible
with DOS4GW. Dont know if anything can be done about it. Find someone
who uses Watcom C++

--
Denis Papp _ __ _ dp...@cs.ualberta.ca
/_ /_/ /\/ /-/ / / /_ dp...@amisk.cs.ualberta.ca

Message has been deleted

Loepelmann Karsten

Dec 12, 1993, 12:27:14 AM12/12/93
henl...@tigger.jvnc.net (Alan Campo) writes:
> Someone posted the idea of removing your coprocessor if you're getting
>the title screen bug. I'd like to confirm that. I have a 386-40 with a
>co-processor, and no matter what I tried, DOOM wouldn't run... until I
>popped out the co-processor chip.
> Another bug solved?

Nope. I've got an i386/33 without coprocessor and BOOM still won't go.
:(

--
Karsten A. Loepelmann, Master of His Domain (*psychology*, that is :-)
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist." -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Loepelmann Karsten

Dec 12, 1993, 12:28:46 AM12/12/93
cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
>I think the common denominator may be the fact that I too have an Opti
>chipset.
>I have a 386-33 and it, too craps out.

Er, nope. That's not it. I've got AMI and I'm left hanging...

>Down with ID :)

OK (or at least their beta-testers :)

Mike Batchelor

Dec 12, 1993, 7:07:26 AM12/12/93
Bob Glass (rmg...@cs.tamu.edu) wrote:

: I just got DOOMed! I have installed it and ..... then nothing...

: Bob

All of you who followed up with the same problem should try turning off
"Hidden Refresh" on the Advanced Chipset Setup screen of the AMI BIOS
setup program. It fixed it for me. I have a 486/33 with the OPTi
82C495SX chipset, AMI BIOS 6/6/92.

Chuck Cannon

Dec 12, 1993, 10:27:45 AM12/12/93

>>YES!!! The same thing is happening on my machine, which is practically
>>the same! I've taken all but HIMEM.SYS out of CONFIG.SYS and all but
>>emptied AUTOEXEC.BAT, turned off all sound in DOOM's SETUP program, and it
>>still won't run properly. It either prints those two initial lines about
>>the DOS extender and just comes back to the DOS prompt, gets into the
>>"DOOM Operating System" and hangs there after a few lines, or gets as far
>>as the title screen (with a couple of notes if the music is turned on)
>>then either hangs or reboots the computer.

>>Profound disappointment!

>>Help, anyone? I can provide specific info about my setup if anyone can
>>help.

>Your problem is not with DOOM, but with DOS4GW. Someone mentioned to
>me that your problem is probably with your motherboard being incompatible
>with DOS4GW. Dont know if anything can be done about it. Find someone
>who uses Watcom C++

I had this same problem. EXACT same setup as a friends computer, but with
4 meg less RAM and the SB was on interrupt 3. Run the DOOM.EXE and you get
the DOS4GW message and then a dos prompt? I decided to go ahead and switch
the SB interrupt 3 (3 was not supported) with my mouse (on 5.) I turn the
computer backon and DOOM runs fine? I had selected NONE for both of the
sound options before but having the SB on 3 or the mouse on 5 caused DOS4GW
to crash? Oh, by the way, if I now turn on the digital sound FX, the computer
will crash after making a few sounds. If I turn the sound (FX) off, DOOM runs
with NO crashes. My next test is to try swaping 4 Meg from my friends comp.

By the way BOTH computers are 486DX, DRDOS, Stacker, SB 1.5, and AMI BIOS.

Chuck

P.S. I also swaped the interrupts back, DOOM died on startup as before!

Charles E. Cannon
School of Electrical Engineering
Internet: gt8...@hydra.gatech.edu or gt8...@prism.gatech.edu
On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague:

"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

-- Wolfgang Pauli

Brian William Whalen

Dec 12, 1993, 12:55:08 PM12/12/93
In article <mikebatC...@netcom.com>,

Mike Batchelor <mik...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Bob Glass (rmg...@cs.tamu.edu) wrote:
>

>: I just got DOOMed! I have installed it and ..... then nothing...
>
>: I am running on a 486DX33 8mb with dos 5.0 himem.sys emm386.exe noems
>: and it hangs.
>
>: in setup, i use only keyboard and speaker for sound effects...no sound card
>
>: When i run DOOM it hangs after
>: DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.94a
>: Copyright etc...
>
>: What's up? anyone else having problems?
>

>: Bob
>
>All of you who followed up with the same problem should try turning off
>"Hidden Refresh" on the Advanced Chipset Setup screen of the AMI BIOS
>setup program. It fixed it for me. I have a 486/33 with the OPTi
>82C495SX chipset, AMI BIOS 6/6/92.

I have AMI 11/xx/92 and NO hidden refresh in any of my CMOS setup.

The damn game keeps hanging. I'll be going along and all of a sudden
the screen falls apart (not the melting thing though). It segments
into slabs with black lines through them. It's annoying but I save often
and manage to play.

It is a good game with potential, to me. If the bugs get worked out
in V1.1 I will register it, otherwise nope.

| Brian Whalen Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute wha...@rpi.edu |
| "What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely |
| Or God merely a mistake of man's" -F. Nietzsche |

J S W Chan

Dec 13, 1993, 5:03:04 AM12/13/93
I've managed to get doom running, but not using my standard setup

I have a dx2, 8mb ram, cirrus VLB card, sound galaxy nx pro, and using dos6.2
220z
the config that didn't work was:-
emm386 with 2594K ems
smartdrv with 2048k
ramdisk with 2000k
dblspace
and conventional memory at 620000 bytes

my Qemm config works:-
qemm with 3000k ems
smartdrv with 2000k
dblspace
and conv memory at 645000 bytes

the following also works:-
himem.sys
*NO EMM386*
smartdrv at 2000k
dblspace
and about 565k conv memory

just out of interest, I loaded a lod of tsrs, and the game ran with just 503000
bytes conv memory! (I think it's just loads of xms that's needed)

Marcus J. Ranum

Dec 13, 1993, 10:14:48 AM12/13/93
I found a rather unusual case in which I saved the game
right as an elevator was dropping at it seems to have somehow stuck
my player under the door or something. When I restarted the game
I couldn't move until I sent the elevator up. Perhaps it was on my
toe (but then I expected little whimpering noises) :)

Terrific game. I love the way that you can blow the little
imps off of terraces and they fall realistically. You notice the
cute way that the doors make squooshies of anything dead caught
under them when they close? The chainsaw was a letdown, though. I'll
stick with the shotgun...

I keep expecting to see Giger's ALIEN running around in
here. The semi-invisible demons with the "predator" suits are
great. They get my $40.

mjr.

Jase Chong

Dec 13, 1993, 11:26:52 AM12/13/93
> Terrific game. I love the way that you can blow the little
>imps off of terraces and they fall realistically. You notice the
>cute way that the doors make squooshies of anything dead caught
>under them when they close? The chainsaw was a letdown, though. I'll
>stick with the shotgun...

I loved the chainsaw !! hehe.. it's esp good for killing those pink
dudes that run straight up to you and munch your head off :) i just saw
them up without getting any damage :) pity it takes a while to switch
back to the shotgun after :)

> I keep expecting to see Giger's ALIEN running around in
>here. The semi-invisible demons with the "predator" suits are
>great. They get my $40.

but i hate the invisible dudes when you run into one in the dark :)
pity i found the nightglasses after i massacred everything :)

Jase.

PS. has anyone got the SFX to work with a SoundBlaster 1.0 with IRQ 5 ?.
--
___________ "On the roof, the squirrels are crying" |\ Muso's
/___________\ _| | Know
| ___ ## | Jason Chong...jlchong@tartarus.uwa.edu.au <_> The Key
|_| |_____|__________________________________________________________

Roy -ElRoy- Davis

Dec 13, 1993, 12:12:52 PM12/13/93
Alan Campo (henl...@tigger.jvnc.net) wrote:

: Someone posted the idea of removing your coprocessor if you're getting

: the title screen bug. I'd like to confirm that. I have a 386-40 with a
: co-processor, and no matter what I tried, DOOM wouldn't run... until I
: popped out the co-processor chip.
: Another bug solved?

Doom runs fine on my 386SX25 with a coprocessor.

- Roy

--
@@@ =============================================== @@@
@@@:::: = Roy Davis is = @@@::::

psp...@gandalf.otago.ac.nz

Dec 13, 1993, 3:51:56 PM12/13/93

>YES!!! The same thing is happening on my machine, which is practically
>the same! I've taken all but HIMEM.SYS out of CONFIG.SYS and all but
>emptied AUTOEXEC.BAT, turned off all sound in DOOM's SETUP program, and it
>still won't run properly. It either prints those two initial lines about
>the DOS extender and just comes back to the DOS prompt, gets into the
>"DOOM Operating System" and hangs there after a few lines, or gets as far
>as the title screen (with a couple of notes if the music is turned on)
>then either hangs or reboots the computer.

I also have the same problem, I have a 486 DX2 50 and DOOM hangs. I have a
386 as well and it runs fine (same intall disks). Have tried emptying
autoexec and config but still no go. Got so frustrated that went and
installed it on a friends 486 DX 30 with SB. Excellent game, great graphics,
sound and gameplay. If only it would work on my machine.
Excellent job ID (on other peoples machines), but anyone any ideas on solving
this one.

Peter Speden Shotguns are for wimps, give me a
Marketing Department and let me at em.
Otago University
New Zealand

Vance Krupa

Dec 13, 1993, 8:27:48 AM12/13/93
In article <CHw0J...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
>From: cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI)
>Subject: Re: DOOM isn't running ! ???
>Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 20:21:23 GMT

>I think the common denominator may be the fact that I too have an Opti
>chipset.
>I have a 386-33 and it, too craps out.

Good point! I have the Opti Chipset also on my 386/40 and it won't run doom
either!

>Down with ID :)

fooey on youy! :)

Vance Krupa

Vance Krupa / "All the world's indeed a stage, and we are
v...@runkel.cray.com / merely players, performers and portrayers,
Cray Research, Inc. / each another's audience outside the gilded cage"
HREB ext 65089 / - Rush -

shawn patrick morgan

Dec 13, 1993, 6:58:55 PM12/13/93
>In article <CHw0J...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
>>From: cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI)
>>Subject: Re: DOOM isn't running ! ???
>>Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 20:21:23 GMT
>
>>I think the common denominator may be the fact that I too have an Opti
>>chipset.
>>I have a 386-33 and it, too craps out.
>
>Good point! I have the Opti Chipset also on my 386/40 and it won't run doom
>either!
>
>>Down with ID :)

Well, i sent mail to he...@idsoftware.com concerning the problem with what
people believe to be the DOS4wg.exe incompatibility problem. I dont know much
about that kinda stuff, so i just relayed the message from the newsgroup. I
recieved mail from them today stating that the problem has been fixed, and
a new version of DOOM will be uploaded to ftp.uwp.edu on Dec 14th. Sorry I
deleted the mail from ID, but that was the jist of the message. I hope that
makes some people happy, and also that it fixes the problems!!!!

Shawn Morgan

robert l loper

Dec 13, 1993, 10:51:50 PM12/13/93
Well, I guess my system is just plain lucky. I just downloaded DOOM
from sell.tamu.edu and it installed and ran GREAT! This game will
be *the* arcade game of all arcade games.

Anyway, for those who are gathering troubleshooting data, I have a
AMD 386/40
AMI BIOS (sometime around 1989)
8 megs RAM
Soundblaster Pro
running DOS 5.0/4DOS 4.01/386MAX 7.0

Runs like a charm..I run on largest window size, low detail, and
it is FAST. Much faster than Ultima Underworld I.

Great job ID!
--
* Robert L. Loper * - If there's an answer it's just that it's *
* rlo...@mksol.dseg.ti.com * just that way... *

Denis R. Papp

Dec 14, 1993, 4:14:44 PM12/14/93
ma2...@midge.bath.ac.uk (J S W Chan) writes:

I really dont think config/autoexec setup is that much of a problem.

The only problem that everyone has to worry about from there is
not enough memory (you need at least 600 or something). I use my
NORMAL bootup and it works fine. And yes teres TSRs, none of those
funny TSRs of course that you should always remove if you are having
trouble (double space, virus checkers, etc).

Jens-Uwe Jansen

Dec 15, 1993, 9:19:03 AM12/15/93

In article <vek.49....@runkel.cray.com>, v...@runkel.cray.com (Vance Krupa) writes:
|> In article <CHw0J...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca> cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI) writes:
|> >From: cs92...@ariel.cs.yorku.ca (MARTIN J WITKOWSKI)
|> >Subject: Re: DOOM isn't running ! ???
|> >Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 20:21:23 GMT
|>
|> >I think the common denominator may be the fact that I too have an Opti
|> >chipset.
|> >I have a 386-33 and it, too craps out.
|>
|> Good point! I have the Opti Chipset also on my 386/40 and it won't run doom
|> either!

Hmm...

My box has the SiS Chipset, and DOOM isn't running either.

Ciao,
--

Jens-Uwe Jansen

=== ____ === EUnet Deutschland GmbH