Syndicate Wars Demo is OUT!

Someone

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

But who has a FTP site with it?? And what is the magazine that has it on
it's demo disc??

thev...@ix.netcom.com

Doug Howell

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

>But who has a FTP site with it?? And what is the magazine that has it on
>it's demo disc??
>

>thev...@ix.netcom.com

The PC Release List has a 20 Meg version you can download. Go to
http://www.avault.com/pcrl for info. Their ftp site for the download
is ftp://ftp.avault.com. Look for SYNWARS.ZIP in the pc subdirectory.
Get it quick while you can! :)

Message has been deleted

Darin Genereux

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:47:55 GMT, dho...@iac.net (Doug Howell) wrote:

>di...@netcom.com (Diane Winters) wrote:
>>I d/l it last night. It looks like about 100x140 with my ATI Mach64 PCI
>>card. I loved the orig. Synd. Still mad at paying $20 for an unplayable
>>add-on and now THIS mess? Sheesh! If there is a way to config it, it's
>>not intuitive. I even tried it with a univbe.. unchanged and still very,
>>VERY ugly. It also put junk in my root /dir which is an unforgivable
>>no-no IMO.
>
>Try hitting the F8 key for a higher res mode.
>
>You're right about this game not being intuitive. One thing I haven't
>been able to figure out is how to exit to DOS. An online help screen
>showing what keys do sure would help!

Exit to DOS? That's easy--place both hands over entire keyboard and
attempt to press every key at once. Worked fine for me!

Seriously though, they could've at least included a key summary in the
readme.txt file. Anybody figured out how to group all your dudes
together? I couldn't find a group button like in the original.

Haven't played the demo enough to decide whether it's better than the
original either, though my first impression was they improved the 3D
graphics a bit, but character control seems to be lacking. I'd be
interested to hear what other people have to say (not stupid "Graphics
SUK, game SUKS" remarks, but actual gameplay opinions).

Later,

Darin

Doug Howell

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

Max mad

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96
to Darin Genereux

In article <323f1d5f...@news.flinthills.com>, dar...@kansas.net (Darin Genereux) writes:
|> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:47:55 GMT, dho...@iac.net (Doug Howell) wrote:
|>

|> >Try hitting the F8 key for a higher res mode.
|> >
|> >You're right about this game not being intuitive. One thing I haven't
|> >been able to figure out is how to exit to DOS. An online help screen
|> >showing what keys do sure would help!

|> Seriously though, they could've at least included a key summary in the
|> readme.txt file. Anybody figured out how to group all your dudes
|> together? I couldn't find a group button like in the original.

It's on the left side of the screen, there are 3 "notches" that
you can click on, depending who you want to group with who.

Right click on the weapon to take it out, I think.

As to the drugs, I don't remember is blue is defensive and red offensive
or the contrary, but hey, try it :)

True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
version.

Max mad
--
"I don't share your greed
the only card I need

Jonathan Normington

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

Darin Genereux recently wrote:

>Exit to DOS? That's easy--place both hands over entire keyboard and
>attempt to press every key at once. Worked fine for me!
>

>Seriously though, they could've at least included a key summary in the
>readme.txt file. Anybody figured out how to group all your dudes
>together? I couldn't find a group button like in the original.

Pressing '\' repeatedly seems to group them together.

*=========================================================*
| Jonathan Normington | cpd.a...@mhs-sunall.attmail.com |
|=====================|===================================|
| IRC: Reptile | jona...@rhernik.demon.co.uk |
*=========================================================*

Ron

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <323ef0c9...@news.erinet.com>, dho...@iac.net (Doug Howell) wrote:
One thing I haven't
:been able to figure out is how to exit to DOS. An online help screen
:showing what keys do sure would help!

Funny thing is, exiting to dos was the first thing I found by poking around in
the menus.

Disappearing buildings should happen only when you go inside one, not whenever
you want them to disappear. Should be more interesting that way.

Emp

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

: True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
: version.
:

I played the original extensively. I prefer Syndicate Wars. The first also
wasn't rendered completely with texture mapped polygons (or light-source
shading). The only thing I don't like about the game is when the buildings
get in the way of your view. It's a minor nuissance though, and doesn't
affect gameplay much at all.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten the high-res mode to run at a
suitable frame-rate. On my P100, it's just too slow in comparison to the
low-res mode. I'd imagine a P200 or PPro200 would do the job.

Also, did anyone complete the mission? I have no luck. I get the
scientist, then this ship flies in and electricutes all my guys. I can
take out the ship, but it usually fries the scientist in the process.

Andrew Littlefield

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

I got it to run at a suitable frame rate on my P90, but I do have 48
megs of ram and a fast video card.

I also thought the original looked better. I also liked the way it
played better as well. This one just doesn't have enough detail for
such a close perspective.

Dennis D. Lo

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

In article <51ohpu$j...@tempo.univ-lyon1.fr>, burz...@lisihp2.univ-lyon1.fr (Max mad) wrote:
>In article <323f1d5f...@news.flinthills.com>, dar...@kansas.net (Darin
> Genereux) writes:
>|> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:47:55 GMT, dho...@iac.net (Doug Howell) wrote:
>|>

>True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
>version.
>
>Max mad

So far I think Syndicate Wars looks pretty ugly...some things like civilians
have almost no detail....and when you kill them..it doesn't look as realistic
as the original one. Also the minigun looked a lot better in the
original...the only thing that does look neat is the ability to rotate your
perspective 360 degrees...

dl

Adam Watkin

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

: I d/l it last night. It looks like about 100x140 with my ATI Mach64 PCI

: card. I loved the orig. Synd. Still mad at paying $20 for an unplayable
: add-on and now THIS mess? Sheesh! If there is a way to config it, it's
: not intuitive. I even tried it with a univbe.. unchanged and still very,
: VERY ugly. It also put junk in my root /dir which is an unforgivable
: no-no IMO.

At a local store they had a beta/demo running and some bloke was
playing it... the game is 100% the same as Syndicate as far as we could
all tell but it has a 3d engine and the buildings can be destroyed. The
impression we all got was that if you were bored with Syndicate you'd
find nothing in Syndicate Wars to make you want to buy it other than
slightly better graphics.

Adam.

Brant Rusch

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

>True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
>version.

The original ran in SVGA, not VGA.

Brant

Max mad

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

So why did they use VGA this time ? :)
It is no incentive to buy it, knowing that the 1st one
ran just fine on a 486-33 in SVGA, and that now
you'd need a pentium to play in simple VGA ...

Especially with the original one being sold now
(+ add on) as a cheap CD

oh well ...

Stephen Vakil

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

In article <51pvgb$n...@crow.cybercomm.net>, mike...@cybercomm.net says...

>I played the original extensively. I prefer Syndicate Wars. The first also
>wasn't rendered completely with texture mapped polygons (or light-source
>shading). The only thing I don't like about the game is when the buildings
>get in the way of your view. It's a minor nuissance though, and doesn't
>affect gameplay much at all.

>Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten the high-res mode to run at a
>suitable frame-rate. On my P100, it's just too slow in comparison to the
>low-res mode. I'd imagine a P200 or PPro200 would do the job.

It runs smooth enough on my system:

p150+
trident 1 meg piece of crap video
16 meg of edo
sb 16

>Also, did anyone complete the mission? I have no luck. I get the
>scientist, then this ship flies in and electricutes all my guys. I can
>take out the ship, but it usually fries the scientist in the process.

I had the same problem. I was able to fry the ship, but when I got to
the landing spot another one flew in and gave me a lesson in shock
therapy.

Jonathan Normington

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

Emp recently wrote:

>Also, did anyone complete the mission? I have no luck. I get the
>scientist, then this ship flies in and electricutes all my guys. I can
>take out the ship, but it usually fries the scientist in the process.

I managed it OK (after a few attempts). I got attacked by two of those
flying jobs one after the other. Concentrated firepower from my four
guys (two with miniguns, two with electron maces) saw them off. Lost
three guys in the process though!

Steve Cronin

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96
I had the same problem although I didnt lose any of my guys. Are you
arming your two guys with the uzia with chainguns as soon as they are
available? If you do and combine all four with that thing on the side of
the screen I doubt youll lose any.
But yeah, from there I'm clueless I have no idea what to do. There are
two more cities on top of Japan to do so I assume there is some way yo
finish it.

Chang-Sun Lin

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

mike...@cybercomm.net (Emp) writes:

>I played the original extensively. I prefer Syndicate Wars. The first also
>wasn't rendered completely with texture mapped polygons (or light-source
>shading).

No, it didn't, but I think the characters in the original looked a lot
better. These ones almost look like little colored blobs.

> The only thing I don't like about the game is when the buildings
>get in the way of your view. It's a minor nuissance though, and doesn't
>affect gameplay much at all.

I found that you can rotate and tilt the view by pressing the gray
editing keys (i.e. Ins, Del, etc.). This helps the visibility problem
quite a bit.

>Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten the high-res mode to run at a
>suitable frame-rate. On my P100, it's just too slow in comparison to the
>low-res mode. I'd imagine a P200 or PPro200 would do the job.

I have a P120 with an MGA Millennium graphics card, and although the
scrolling in SVGA is not smooth, the game itself runs fine. Messing
with the detail levels doesn't seem to change things much.

--- C J

rock...@astonline.com

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

ru...@ix.netcom.com(Brant Rusch) wrote:

>>True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
>>version.

>The original ran in SVGA, not VGA.

>Brant

Uhm, nope, actually the original ran in plain old 16 color 640x480
VGA. Maybe you were mistaken because it wasn't in 320x200x256 mode
VGA. Oh well, I won't go into a VGA/SVGA lesson for you, but it was
in fact plain VGA.

--
Bill

Mark Lanza

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

ru...@ix.netcom.com(Brant Rusch) wrote:

>>True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
>>version.

>The original ran in SVGA, not VGA.

>Brant

I'm pretty sure the original Syndicate ran at 640*480*16 colors
(4bpp), which is the highest res of VGA. 640*480 is only really SVGA
once you get to the higher color depths.

Mark the zo...@a.crl.com

Greg Sienkiewicz

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

burz...@lisihp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Max mad) writes:

>|> The original ran in SVGA, not VGA.

>So why did they use VGA this time ? :)

>It is no incentive to buy it, knowing that the 1st one
>ran just fine on a 486-33 in SVGA, and that now
>you'd need a pentium to play in simple VGA ...

>Especially with the original one being sold now
>(+ add on) as a cheap CD

Actually, I think it DID run in VGA in "hi-res" mode, 640x480x16colors.
I don't remember seeing requirements for a VESA compatible SVGA card on the
box, but it's been a while.

Regardless, I'm afraid to see how this plays on my system..

Steve Cronin

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Stephen Vakil wrote:

> In article <51pvgb$n...@crow.cybercomm.net>, mike...@cybercomm.net says...
>
> >I played the original extensively. I prefer Syndicate Wars. The first also
> >wasn't rendered completely with texture mapped polygons (or light-source
> >shading). The only thing I don't like about the game is when the buildings

> >get in the way of your view. It's a minor nuissance though, and doesn't
> >affect gameplay much at all.
>
> >Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten the high-res mode to run at a
> >suitable frame-rate. On my P100, it's just too slow in comparison to the
> >low-res mode. I'd imagine a P200 or PPro200 would do the job.
>
> It runs smooth enough on my system:
>
> p150+
> trident 1 meg piece of crap video
> 16 meg of edo
> sb 16
>
> >Also, did anyone complete the mission? I have no luck. I get the
> >scientist, then this ship flies in and electricutes all my guys. I can
> >take out the ship, but it usually fries the scientist in the process.
>
> I had the same problem. I was able to fry the ship, but when I got to
> the landing spot another one flew in and gave me a lesson in shock
> therapy.
My pent 133 runs high res damned good. The low res is just too fast
though

yu chai lee

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Dennis D. Lo (a3...@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote:

: So far I think Syndicate Wars looks pretty ugly...some things like civilians

: have almost no detail....and when you kill them..it doesn't look as realistic
: as the original one. Also the minigun looked a lot better in the
: original...the only thing that does look neat is the ability to rotate your
: perspective 360 degrees...

: dl

yes it's really bad looking... they basically did it on the magic carpet engine
and MC engine doesn't work for human details...

the realism of killing is almost not there due to the lack of details on the
human part...

yes rotation is a very nice feature. disappearing building is too unrealistic.
i find myself holding down B all the time while searching for the enemies.

i hope they will switch back to detail characters rather than this 3d polygon
texture render and stuff. or make it worth and render the hell outta of the
character details into the polygon models...

All i want is it to look CLEAR... i think they can do that... if they have
to resort back to the old format, please do so...

this is the only exception as to where THE LOOK is more important to the game-
play for me. it's just annoying to look at the blocky details even in hi-rez.

--
----
*********************************/\|\||/\/\E**********************************

Marco 'C&C' LEE

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Minh Quang Le wrote:

> I realize the graphics for the individual characters does look sorta
> chunky.. I think this is because they drew the original characters in
> low-res and just scaled it up to hi-res (in order to save space)., I wish
> they had drawn the characters in hi-res then scaled down instead.. It
> would have looked much prettier.. But you can't deny the fact that the
> explosions in this game are THE BEST I've seen in any computer game of any
> genre.. I dream of explosions like this man.... Oh well.. here's hoping
> the final version will have hi=res characters..

The explosion is actually not that impressive to me. The whole feel of
syndicate wars have me keep referring back to the magic carpet engine.
it's just a lot thing is similiar. SyndicateWar's explosion is a bit more
detail and realstic than mc2 in terms of debris flying... it's a
shattering of a 3d polygon model...

to me i like the explosion of wc3 and wc4 better than syndicate wars...

i guess it's just me.

Marco 'C&C' LEE

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Stephen Vakil

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

In article <3243f847....@news.alt.net>, pana...@juno.com says...

>Actually, I thought the explosions for the Nuclear Grenade were pretty
>cool... one of the best parts OF the Syndicate Wars demo (which is
>pretty sorry, if you think about it.)

Uh.. whoa.. where do you get one of those?

>Best Part: The blinding flash of light, the beams of light coming out
>of the soon-to-be-demolished building, the collapsing structure, and
>the too-cool blast crater.
>
>No-Too-Cool-Parts: My agents can be at ground zero and walk away!?!?
>And how come any bodies or equipment that is exposed to the blast
>aren't vaporized?

They have shields and very tough armor, no doubt. I mean, they can take
about 400 seconds of minigun shots, and also get mowed down by
an oncoming car, so it shouldn't surprise you that a teeny explosion (or
not so teeny) might not necessarily kill them.

>>The Syndicate Wars demo has been removed at Origin's request. According to
them,
>>it was "not intended for public distribution".

You mean bullfrog?

>This doesn't inspire confidence. I will most definitely be waiting
>for the reviews to be posted in the newsgroups before shelling out
>money for this one. (Just like... dare I say it... BC3K?)

It's a matter of opinion I guess.. personally I really liked the demo.

Usenet's Panache

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:49:24 -0500, Marco 'C&C' LEE
<yc...@students.uiuc.edu> uttered these pearls of wisdom:

>On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Minh Quang Le wrote:

[snippage]

>> But you can't deny the fact that the
>> explosions in this game are THE BEST I've seen in any computer game of any
>> genre.. I dream of explosions like this man.... Oh well.. here's hoping
>> the final version will have hi=res characters..

>The explosion is actually not that impressive to me.

[more snippage]

Actually, I thought the explosions for the Nuclear Grenade were pretty
cool... one of the best parts OF the Syndicate Wars demo (which is
pretty sorry, if you think about it.)

Best Part: The blinding flash of light, the beams of light coming out

of the soon-to-be-demolished building, the collapsing structure, and
the too-cool blast crater.

No-Too-Cool-Parts: My agents can be at ground zero and walk away!?!?
And how come any bodies or equipment that is exposed to the blast
aren't vaporized?

SIDE NOTE: The site that had the Syndicate Wars demo, the PC Release
List (http://www.avault.com/pcrl/), has to take the demo offline:

>The Syndicate Wars demo has been removed at Origin's request. According to them,
>it was "not intended for public distribution".

This doesn't inspire confidence. I will most definitely be waiting

for the reviews to be posted in the newsgroups before shelling out
money for this one. (Just like... dare I say it... BC3K?)

--------
"Only the crazies hang around nursery."

steve b./cg splus

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

For everyone's information, the Syndicate Wars demo that is floating
around is NOT an official demo. It came from a CD given out at ECTS,
which states quite explicitly that you may not distribute the demo.

We checked to see if we could distribute the demo on our cover disk, and
they said no, because that's not the official demo (which is why there's
no instructions, etc.). There are also some bugs in the demo, and the
code may not be as optimized as the full game (especially re: SVGA mode).

steve bauman | 2 millet st.
managing editor | richmond, vt 05477
computer games strategy plus | www.cdmag.com

Stephen Vakil

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

In article <3243f847....@news.alt.net>, pana...@juno.com says...

>Actually, I thought the explosions for the Nuclear Grenade were pretty
>cool... one of the best parts OF the Syndicate Wars demo (which is
>pretty sorry, if you think about it.)

Uh.. whoa.. where do you get one of those?

>Best Part: The blinding flash of light, the beams of light coming out

>of the soon-to-be-demolished building, the collapsing structure, and
>the too-cool blast crater.
>
>No-Too-Cool-Parts: My agents can be at ground zero and walk away!?!?
>And how come any bodies or equipment that is exposed to the blast
>aren't vaporized?

They have shields and very tough armor, no doubt. I mean, they can take

about 400 seconds of minigun shots, and also get mowed down by
an oncoming car, so it shouldn't surprise you that a teeny explosion (or
not so teeny) might not necessarily kill them.

>>The Syndicate Wars demo has been removed at Origin's request. According to
them,
>>it was "not intended for public distribution".

You mean bullfrog?

>This doesn't inspire confidence. I will most definitely be waiting
>for the reviews to be posted in the newsgroups before shelling out
>money for this one. (Just like... dare I say it... BC3K?)

It's a matter of opinion I guess.. personally I really liked the demo.

David Campbell

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

I must admit, I do not have a lot of knowledge on the subject as I have not
yet played the game. However, what I do know is the 20 meg version that
you all downloaded wasn't the intended version for downloading. The demo
brought out was 120 megs and available on the new PC Format CD only. Some
guy decided to chop the demo down to 20 megs so that it would be plausible
to play. Now it seems to me that a lot of what you guys are complaining
about could be included in the other 100 megs of the game, so take a look
out for the new PC Format to come out (British Magazine) and try the demo
off the CD.

Usenet's Panache

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

On 21 Sep 1996 18:07:46 GMT, smv...@students.wisc.edu (Stephen Vakil)

uttered these pearls of wisdom:

>In article <3243f847....@news.alt.net>, pana...@juno.com says...

>>Actually, I thought the explosions for the Nuclear Grenade were pretty
>>cool... one of the best parts OF the Syndicate Wars demo (which is
>>pretty sorry, if you think about it.)
>
>Uh.. whoa.. where do you get one of those?

I didn't actually use one. I'm assuming that the explosive device
that detonates when you kill the Bad Guys in those two buildings that
go up in smoke are Nuclear Grenades.

>>>The Syndicate Wars demo has been removed at Origin's request. According to
>>>them, it was "not intended for public distribution".
>
>You mean bullfrog?

No, I mean Origin. Origin (well, actually, Electronic Arts) is
Bullfrog's publisher.

yu chai lee

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

Usenet's Panache (pana...@juno.com) wrote:
: On 21 Sep 1996 18:07:46 GMT, smv...@students.wisc.edu (Stephen Vakil)

: uttered these pearls of wisdom:

: >In article <3243f847....@news.alt.net>, pana...@juno.com says...
: >>
: >>Actually, I thought the explosions for the Nuclear Grenade were pretty
: >>cool... one of the best parts OF the Syndicate Wars demo (which is
: >>pretty sorry, if you think about it.)
: >
: >Uh.. whoa.. where do you get one of those?

: I didn't actually use one. I'm assuming that the explosive device
: that detonates when you kill the Bad Guys in those two buildings that
: go up in smoke are Nuclear Grenades.

it's not called nuclear grenades. it's just called explosives. you can pick
it up after you kill some enemies or from the dead policeman i think.

i didn't use it during the game though.

: --------
: "Only the crazies hang around nursery."

Max mad

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <3243f847....@news.alt.net>, pana...@juno.com (Usenet's Panache) writes:

|> SIDE NOTE: The site that had the Syndicate Wars demo, the PC Release
|> List (http://www.avault.com/pcrl/), has to take the demo offline:
|>

|> >The Syndicate Wars demo has been removed at Origin's request. According to them,
|> >it was "not intended for public distribution".

What's that ????

I got the demo on the cover-CD of a french gaming mag.
Accidentally letting a demo out to the net is something,
giving it to a magazine and then claiming it was not to
be distributed is something else ...

Online Gaming Review

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

steve b./cg splus (sp...@together.net) wrote:
: For everyone's information, the Syndicate Wars demo that is floating

Actually, the demo floating around is from the English/French magazine PC
Format. It was also included on the ECTS demo disc, but the demo WAS
publicly distributed with Origin's blessing on the PC Format CD as well.
The version floating around on the Internet was missing all the voices
from the game (a 90M .WAV file was removed to make the size a bit more
palatable for downloading).

Paul Bannister http://www.ogr.com
PC Editorial Director/Publisher o...@ogr.com
Online Gaming Review The Best News and Reviews

Stephen Vakil

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <32462102....@news.alt.net>, pana...@juno.com says...

>I didn't actually use one. I'm assuming that the explosive device
>that detonates when you kill the Bad Guys in those two buildings that
>go up in smoke are Nuclear Grenades.

They are just some sort of explosive pack. You can get one off of a dead
agent somewhere and plant it yourself :)

>No, I mean Origin. Origin (well, actually, Electronic Arts) is
>Bullfrog's publisher.

Yeah.. EA is bullfrog's publisher as well as origin's. They both are
daughter companies now.

Jonathan Normington

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

steve b./cg splus recently wrote:

>We checked to see if we could distribute the demo on our cover disk, and
>they said no, because that's not the official demo (which is why there's
>no instructions, etc.). There are also some bugs in the demo, and the
>code may not be as optimized as the full game (especially re: SVGA mode).

I got it from the "exclusive Bullfrog CD" attached to the October issue
of PC Format. Everything that's been said here about the apparently
unofficial demo applies equally well to the one PC Format are giving
away...

*=========================================================*
| Jonathan Normington | cpd.a...@mhs-sunall.attmail.com |
*=========================================================*

steve b.

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <526ctg$g...@cdc2.cdc.net>, o...@cdc.net says...

> Actually, the demo floating around is from the English/French magazine PC
> Format. It was also included on the ECTS demo disc, but the demo WAS
> publicly distributed with Origin's blessing on the PC Format CD as well.
> The version floating around on the Internet was missing all the voices
> from the game (a 90M .WAV file was removed to make the size a bit more
> palatable for downloading).

Whatever the source, Origin US says it's not a valid demo. Origin UK may
consider it OK, but Origin US has found bugs and has held back its
distribution.

How

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

On 22 Sep 1996 16:29:06 GMT, "David Campbell" <cam...@sentex.net>
wrote:

I really don't think that the _game_ portion of the demo would be any
different if we played the PC Format version rather then the "ripped"
version that everyone here is talking about. Ripping refers mainly to
removing all the intro files, cut scenes, and all the other tidbits
that add to the pizzazz of the package. It is rare that parts of the
actual gameplay elements are taken out, as in general this would cause
a crash (though I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to modify the code
to use low res character sprites in the high res mode and rip the high
res sprites out in order to save space).

How

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

On 23 Sep 1996 16:12:32 GMT, o...@cdc.net (Online Gaming Review) wrote:
>: For everyone's information, the Syndicate Wars demo that is floating
>: around is NOT an official demo. It came from a CD given out at ECTS,
>: which states quite explicitly that you may not distribute the demo.

>: -------------------------------------------------

>: steve bauman | 2 millet st.
>: managing editor | richmond, vt 05477
>: computer games strategy plus | www.cdmag.com

Actually, I would think that this demo would reflect quite closely
what the final product will be like. Apparently the demo has not been
removed because of negative feedback or because of it being
"unofficial", but rather because it is a PC Format exclusive demo and
was ripped and made available for download without permission from
Bullfrog/EA. Considering that the finished game is supposed to be out
either sept. 27th or first week of october (in OGR news) I doubt there
was much time to do too much more work on the game. Isn't it true
that the gold CD of the game is made 2-3 weeks prior to the game
actually being in stores? (assuming 3-5 days for the Gold to reach
whoever it is that makes the retail copies, another few days to reach
a distributor and finally a week or so for the shipments to arrive at
various retail outlets.) This would mean that the final version has
already been made. Of course given all this, it is just as possible
that the demo was made a month or so prior to the Gold and thus lacks
at least a month's worth of improved artwork, optimization etc.

PS. it's great that Computer Games Strategy Plus and OGR are
participating in this newsgroup (=

-howard

Andy Duplain

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <51rndl$b...@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>, ru...@ix.netcom.com(Brant Rusch) wrote:
>>True though, the original looked way better in simple VGA that this
>>version.
>
>The original ran in SVGA, not VGA.

640x480x16colours is VGA isn't it ?

Max mad

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96
to steve b./cg splus

In article <MPLANET.32442...@news.together.net>, sp...@together.net (steve b./cg splus) writes:

|> We checked to see if we could distribute the demo on our cover disk, and
|> they said no, because that's not the official demo (which is why there's
|> no instructions, etc.). There are also some bugs in the demo, and the
|> code may not be as optimized as the full game (especially re: SVGA mode).

Someone stated that it was on PC format (UK mag) cover disk,
and as to french magazines i can say that it was
on the cover disks of 2 different mags :
Joystick and Generation4

Seems a bit too many magazines to be a mistake.

DonBetsy

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

I believe the person who "ripped" the 20 meg version for download
stated that 90 of the 100 megs left out were .wav files for speech, etc.

Don

steve b.

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

In article <32484bd4...@news.van.hookup.net>, how...@jumppoint.com
says...

> Actually, I would think that this demo would reflect quite closely
> what the final product will be like.

I've played the game quite a bit.

> Bullfrog/EA. Considering that the finished game is supposed to be out
> either sept. 27th or first week of october (in OGR news) I doubt there
> was much time to do too much more work on the game.

I'm not holding Bullfrog to any release dates any more. We do have a
final of Gene Wars, but no Syndicate Wars.

> that the gold CD of the game is made 2-3 weeks prior to the game
> actually being in stores? (assuming 3-5 days for the Gold to reach
> whoever it is that makes the retail copies, another few days to reach
> a distributor and finally a week or so for the shipments to arrive at
> various retail outlets.) This would mean that the final version has
> already been made. Of course given all this, it is just as possible
> that the demo was made a month or so prior to the Gold and thus lacks
> at least a month's worth of improved artwork, optimization etc.

Right. I think the Gold's take even longer to get in the boxes,
especially if it's a large shipment of games, because they've got to put
the things in the box.

> PS. it's great that Computer Games Strategy Plus and OGR are
> participating in this newsgroup

Glad to be here. Just got the newsgroups (finally) working on our fast
connection at work. Had to do it at home before, so we should participate
more.
| Steve Bauman | sp...@together.net |
| Managing Editor | www.cdmag.com |
| Computer Games | 2 millet st. |
| Strategy Plus Magazine | richmond, vt 05477 |

Allen Clarke

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96
to David Campbell

David Campbell wrote:

> I must admit, I do not have a lot of knowledge on the subject as I have not
> yet played the game. However, what I do know is the 20 meg version that
> you all downloaded wasn't the intended version for downloading. The demo
> brought out was 120 megs and available on the new PC Format CD only. Some
> guy decided to chop the demo down to 20 megs so that it would be plausible
> to play. Now it seems to me that a lot of what you guys are complaining
> about could be included in the other 100 megs of the game, so take a look
> out for the new PC Format to come out (British Magazine) and try the demo
> off the CD.

The other 100 megs was a single sound file :)

The demo was a very early demo, hence possibly one or two of the
problems.

The actual bits that are (were) downloadable from PCRL (and other
places!!) was complete.

Simple question:

If you had bought the copy of PC Format (which I didn't, I was sent the
CD by someone at BullFrog) would you have been more pissed off with the
demo having a couple of bugs, seeing as how you had to buy the mag as
well, or would you have found it more acceptable because it was on the
cover of a respectable mag ?

Allen.

PS how long would the people in the U.S had to of waited for Origin to
allow them to see what was to all intents a work in progress.
| Allen Clarke a...@mround.bt.co.uk|
| TEL: 01473-649371 |
| Fax: 01473-637523 MLB G/35, BT Labs, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK, IP5
7RE|