DOOM: The Ultimate Test for the Hall Of Fame.

Astrolog

Jan 7, 1994, 4:57:56 AM1/7/94
Ok, we've seen people brag about how good they are and post recorded
games and all. People have gone and done Shareware version level 8 on
Ultra-Violence using only their pistol. Come on, is that the best we
can do? ;)

One person went as far as to only use their pistol on the two Boss
monsters, taking out the Pink and Invisible Demons with their
fists. In this particular recorded game, they got "up close and
personal" with one of them for a short while by, in between avoiding
the green plasma fireballs, running right up to them, shooting, and
running back quickly enough to be able to dodge when the Boss threw
the next fireball.

Since it's possible to be able to get up close to a Boss without
getting hurt, this bring up the possibility of the Ultimate Doom Test
for all those of you who think you're Ultimate Doom Studs. To enter
the Ultimate Hall of Fame, you must complete level 8 on Ultra
Violence, *using only your fist the entire time*!

I say this can be done. You basically do something as follows: At the
beginning with all the demons around the slime, you punch a barrel
until it explodes, quickly running back when it does so you don't take
much damage but the Demons do, duking it out with any that are still
alive after the chain reaction explosions. Take out the two Demons in
the ammo rooms separately with the punch, run back a bit, wait for it
to reach you, punch again, run back again, etc, strategy. Then up to
the bosses, and run to the corner with the invisibility sphere,
letting all the Invisible Demons run around the barrels. Punch until
the one in front of you explodes and run back to take out most if not
all the Demons. Then lure out one Boss at a time and do the run
forward, punch once, run back, dodge as fireball comes whizzing by
many times until it dies.

Come on, it can be done! Let's see someone post a recorded game of
it. Only your fists (guns are for wimps). Ultra violence (love the
challenge). Level 8 on episode one. And finish with 100% (or more)
health too! :) This should keep us busy for a while until someone else
thinks up something even more outrageous, as I'm sure will happen. :)

Joseph W. Vigneau

Jan 7, 1994, 11:18:17 AM1/7/94
I've had the bosses on lev 1-8 attack eack other! Was quite cool when I
could just run around to see them blasting green fireballs at each other ;)
Until, of course, one of them died...

--
jo...@wpi.edu - WPI Computer Science |Linux 0.99.14f:Free 32 bit OS for the i386

Douglas Hok-Chung TSANG

Jan 7, 1994, 12:31:13 PM1/7/94

[...]

I say this can be done. You basically do something as follows: At the
beginning with all the demons around the slime, you punch a barrel
until it explodes, quickly running back when it does so you don't take
much damage but the Demons do, duking it out with any that are still
alive after the chain reaction explosions.

You seemed to have missed out the part about getting the supercharge
orb before going to the ammo rooms. Or do you know it exists?

Take out the two Demons in
the ammo rooms separately with the punch, run back a bit, wait for it
to reach you, punch again, run back again, etc, strategy.

[...]

--

doug.

Douglas Hok-Chung Tsang h...@lems.brown.edu
Box 978 Brown University
Providence RI 02912-0978 (401)863-6398

John Bush

Jan 8, 1994, 8:32:36 AM1/8/94
Another DOOM challenge:

Try to win DOOM on ultra-violence with as low a kill percentage as
possible. I haven't tried this, but I wonder if it's possible to win
without killing any of the monsters... Actually, I guess there are some
monsters that you HAVE to kill (the two big baddies at the end of episode
1 come to mind). Maybe you could get one to kill the other for you and
then you would only have to kill one yourself... There are probably
other monsters that you would have to kill but, the object would be to
kill as few as possible.

Just a random thought....

--
John Bush [Washington, DC]
jb...@access.digex.net

Matt Ownby

Jan 8, 1994, 10:33:32 PM1/8/94
John Bush (jb...@access2.digex.net) wrote:
: Another DOOM challenge:

: Try to win DOOM on ultra-violence with as low a kill percentage as
: possible. I haven't tried this, but I wonder if it's possible to win
: without killing any of the monsters... Actually, I guess there are some
: monsters that you HAVE to kill (the two big baddies at the end of episode
: 1 come to mind). Maybe you could get one to kill the other for you and
: then you would only have to kill one yourself... There are probably
: other monsters that you would have to kill but, the object would be to
: kill as few as possible.

Well... I've been trying to win mission 1, level 8 with mere fists
and the farthest I've gotten is into the main room with the 2 minotaurs...
I've gotten I think all of the shadow beasts slain but I have no idea how
I'm going to punch those blasted minotaurs, esp when there are two of the
wretches...
I also did it with a pistol... I had about 200 bullets in the end
and only the minotaurs were left.. I had my finger on the wrong key for
strafing so three fireballs did me in rather quickly, but I'm sure I could
easily win as long as my bullet supply holds out (which it won't.. those
bullets don't seem to do a dang thing against the minotaurs hehehehe)

Tom Neff

Jan 12, 1994, 6:10:43 PM1/12/94
In <2gntuc$9...@u.cc.utah.edu>, mo0...@u.cc.utah.edu (Matt Ownby) writes:
> I also did it with a pistol... I had about 200 bullets in the end
>and only the minotaurs were left.. I had my finger on the wrong key for
>strafing so three fireballs did me in rather quickly, but I'm sure I could
>easily win as long as my bullet supply holds out (which it won't.. those
>bullets don't seem to do a dang thing against the minotaurs hehehehe)

It takes about 20 bullets to down an otherwise unhurt minotaur at close
range. Ditto the invisibles, which seem identical. I estimate that the
big green-fire horned fellows take over 80 bullets.

A good low-ammo strategy, if you are maneuverable enough, is to let them
hurt and/or kill each other first, then finish off the survivors.

--
Tom Neff tn...@panix.com ...!uunet!panix!tneff

The Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 1994, 11:11:13 PM1/12/94

]
] It takes about 20 bullets to down an otherwise unhurt minotaur at close
] range. Ditto the invisibles, which seem identical. I estimate that the
] big green-fire horned fellows take over 80 bullets.

Ah, dude.... The "big green-fire horned fellows" ARE the "minotaurs" he's
talking about. To avoid any possible confusion (I hope), the manual calls
them "Barons of Hell". You're talking about the pink gorilloid demons and
the spectres, both of which are pussies. A two-second chaingun burst or
two shotgun blasts, or about two seconds of chainsaw, and they're history.

--
"I am the NRA." \ "Ultimately, the strongest argument for the people
Alaric Tekiahyn \ to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is to

James Cummings

Jan 13, 1994, 9:15:03 AM1/13/94
I really doubt you can finish the game without killing some of the
monsters, particularly those monitour critters. And do it with the pistol???
I DON'T THINK SO! I mean it take two blasts of the BGB9000 to kill one of
them, to use the pistol....well you might as well whip me with a wet noodle!

Besides, I remember on level where the opening scene is you against
4 or 5 of those guys....again I'll repeat...I DON'T THINK SO!

Tony Lezard

Jan 13, 1994, 12:00:38 PM1/13/94
In article <1994Jan13.1...@seas.smu.edu>,

James Cummings <j...@seas.smu.edu> wrote:
> I really doubt you can finish the game without killing some of the
>monsters, particularly those monitour critters. And do it with the pistol???
>I DON'T THINK SO! I mean it take two blasts of the BGB9000 to kill one of
>them, to use the pistol....well you might as well whip me with a wet noodle!

If you're talking about the Barons (chaps that throw green slime) then,
remembering that the effect of a BFG9000 blast decays with distance, you'll
find that a single BFG blast at point blank range is sufficiant. If you
fired from a distance he'll be so weak after the first BFG shot that you
can save your plasma and easily finish him off with the shotgun (say).

--
Tony Lezard
to...@mantis.co.uk

Bob Tausworthe

Jan 13, 1994, 8:23:02 PM1/13/94
James Cummings (j...@seas.smu.edu) wrote:
: I really doubt you can finish the game without killing some of the

: monsters, particularly those monitour critters. And do it with the pistol???
: I DON'T THINK SO! I mean it take two blasts of the BGB9000 to kill one of
: them, to use the pistol....well you might as well whip me with a wet noodle!

Bend over and prepare your back. I'm only one of several people who have
completed the Entire Shareware game with only a pistol and chainsaw on UV
mode. It can be done.

tozz

Matt Ownby

Jan 14, 1994, 1:53:17 PM1/14/94
Tom Neff (tn...@panix.com) wrote:

: In <2gntuc$9...@u.cc.utah.edu>, mo0...@u.cc.utah.edu (Matt Ownby) writes:
: > I also did it with a pistol... I had about 200 bullets in the end
: >and only the minotaurs were left.. I had my finger on the wrong key for
: >strafing so three fireballs did me in rather quickly, but I'm sure I could
: >easily win as long as my bullet supply holds out (which it won't.. those
: >bullets don't seem to do a dang thing against the minotaurs hehehehe)

: It takes about 20 bullets to down an otherwise unhurt minotaur at close
: range. Ditto the invisibles, which seem identical. I estimate that the
: big green-fire horned fellows take over 80 bullets.

When I say minotaur I mean the "big green-fire horned fellows" which seem
to resemble minotaurs... perhaps mutant stag-beasts is more appropriate
<grin>. The creatures which the game officially refers to as "demons" and
"specters" (spectres?) I usually call pink munchers and invisible-shadow
beasts respectively. Cumbersome, but the names have quite an affectionate
ring to them.

As for letting them kill each other. What I usually do is hide behind all
of those barrels. The invisible shadow-beasts can't reach you, and
neither can the minotaur's fireballs which strike the shadow-beasts
instead. I keep waiting in anticipation for the shadow-beasts to all go
take out the minotaurs, but it never happens. Once my partial
invisibility wears off, I am basically fair game for the minotaurs who rip
through the shadow-beasts like paper.

Then they come over to where I am. I instintively want to detonate a few
barrels and nuke all the beasts, but whenever I do this I am either too
slow (the minotaur gets to me first and launches a fireball) or else I
don't kill all the shadow-beasts and one or two or them block my path so I
can't run around. I have won the game easily hiding behind the barrels
with all of my power-ammo, but maybe I should use a different strategy. I
am still toying with the idea of doing it with bare fists, but I don't see
how the heck I am ever going to kill the minotaurs. It seems they would
fireball me as soon as I got close.

Commander Spock

Jan 15, 1994, 12:25:21 AM1/15/94
In article <CJLII...@cup.hp.com> to...@cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe) writes:
>From: to...@cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe)
>Subject: Re: DOOM: The Ultimate Test for the Hall Of Fame.
>Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 01:23:02 GMT

> tozz

Not that I doubt your word... Let's see an .lmp file (just the last level
will do), otherwise I'll have to say that there's no substance to your claim.
Humor me, please... I getting kind of sick of this unsubstantiated
braggadacio...

- Rich

Message has been deleted

Matt Ownby

Jan 15, 1994, 2:40:25 AM1/15/94
Astrolog (crui...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
: Ok, we've seen people brag about how good they are and post recorded

Ok... I have been working on this and i have managed to kill all of the
spectres at the end and now all I have is the two demon lords left. As
far as I'm concerned, taking these guys out with fists is impossible. Why
don't we say you're allowed to whip out your pistol at this point? <grin>

kj...@uno.edu

Jan 15, 1994, 1:24:12 AM1/15/94

Come on people, what I really want to see is someone beat mission 1, level 9
with just a pistol. I'm talking about the whole thing, walking over the
teleporter and everything. This level 8 pistol and fist is wimpy. I want to
see some real action. As soon as I do it, I will upload the demo here.

David A. Stephenson

Jan 15, 1994, 10:07:34 AM1/15/94
kwe...@mail.sas.upenn.edu writes:

> Yeah, yeah...there's all fine display of Satan and his helpers in Doom.
> Blah blah blah. It is just a game. Play time. Have fun. Blow up things
> and win prizes...I am Christian and I love the game. I love the killing
> and the toxic explosions...it's just a game, ie not real stuff...relax.
>
> * Kevin C. Welch - kwe...@mail.sas.upenn.edu *

I am a Christian, and love this game also. I am still amazed that
a Christian would be offended by a game in which you kill all
sorts of demons. Since there are so many upside down crosses
exhibited by the demons, it would seem to suggest the
validity of the Christ. You are fighting evil, demons,
upside down crosses-so the oppisite would suggest good=
cross, Christ.

Actually, id seems to always use an absoulute evil in its games.
Wolfenstien, nazis, 6 million jews executed.
DOOM, demons, trying to lead people away from Christ.

If id made a game where your character kills lots of
innocents,then I would be offended-in between playing it
often because id makes such dang cool games.

Dave

A lighter note, I saw on the Software Etc. future releases
board, DOOM 1-30. I talked to the guy, and he said he thought
it was the registered version with the latest version #.
That would seem to make sense, because they don't usually
play up the shareware small packs they have on the front
counter, like Wolfenstien 1 shareware for $4.95.

If it is the same one I bought, but a later version,
I wont be upset 'cause they said they will send us the latest
version. Also, I would rather give more money to id directly
and eliminate the middleman.

--
______________________
"I want my bacon crisp and my toast

Matt Ownby

Jan 15, 1994, 5:31:12 PM1/15/94
kj...@uno.edu wrote:

Wimpy?!?! Hardly... in fact, the biggest difference between level 9 and
level 8 is that level 9 doesn't have two howling minotaurs who take more
than 64 punches to kill (yes, we know at least that much). I'd say you
either have to find a pattern or else you're done for... we got about 2
haphazard hits in and that was it...

As for level 9... slaying all of the creatures after walking over the
pentagram would not nearly be as difficult as you think... first of all,
since the level is so big you can run away and hide behind a door, and let
all of the monsters kill themselves. I'll give it a shot...

The Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 1994, 3:43:31 AM1/16/94
j...@seas.smu.edu (James Cummings) wrote:
] I mean it take two blasts of the BGB9000 to kill [a minotaur/Baron of Hell]

Actually, one will do it, if it's a direct hit. However - am I the only
one who's noticed this? - getting direct hits in Doom at long range isn't
always as easy as you'd think. Most, if not all of the weapons, seem to
shoot just slightly off to the left - enough to turn a direct hit into a
bare miss by the time the range opens out to about 100 yards.

Not that I have any objection to bare misses.... }:->

--
"I am the NRA." \ 'Nowhere is it written that the universe is either
Alaric Tekiahyn \ fair or just.'

Matthew Hannigan

Jan 15, 1994, 4:19:03 AM1/15/94
mo0...@u.cc.utah.edu (Matt Ownby) writes:
> [ .. ]

>Then they come over to where I am. I instintively want to detonate a few
>barrels and nuke all the beasts, but whenever I do this I am either too
>slow (the minotaur gets to me first and launches a fireball) or else I
>don't kill all the shadow-beasts and one or two or them block my path so I
>can't run around. I have won the game easily hiding behind the barrels
>with all of my power-ammo, but maybe I should use a different strategy. I
>am still toying with the idea of doing it with bare fists, but I don't see
>how the heck I am ever going to kill the minotaurs. It seems they would
>fireball me as soon as I got close.

If you move to behind their 'home' they don't come around to get you --
they just move in and out of their little homes. So you just blast at
them when they poke their horns out. I've done this with the shotgun,
it would only take longer using the pistol -- but no more dangerous
once you've mastered the sideways movement.

As for bare fists -hmmm maybe you could run up behind them and give
them a thwack and then retreat -- but it would take a about 200 such
thwacks each!

Regards,
-Matt

Heath Ian Hunnicutt

Jan 16, 1994, 6:31:39 PM1/16/94
da...@cwis.unomaha.edu (David A. Stephenson) writes:

>Actually, id seems to always use an absoulute evil in its games.
>Wolfenstien, nazis, 6 million jews executed.
>DOOM, demons, trying to lead people away from Christ.

Maybe for their next game, ID will choose evangelical christians.
These dummies could come up to you and try to give you a pamphlet
about myths and fairy-tales that purport to provide a means to
escape death, etc., etc., *BOOM* A shotgun blast to the bible-thumpers
head.

Now that would be a fight against absolute evil.

From the Home for Amnesiac Computer Scientists....
hea...@cco.caltech.edu

Message has been deleted

kj...@uno.edu

Jan 16, 1994, 3:26:15 PM1/16/94

>: Come on people, what I really want to see is someone beat mission 1, level 9
>: with just a pistol. I'm talking about the whole thing, walking over the
>: teleporter and everything. This level 8 pistol and fist is wimpy. I want to
>: see some real action. As soon as I do it, I will upload the demo here.
>

>Wimpy?!?! Hardly... in fact, the biggest difference between level 9 and
>level 8 is that level 9 doesn't have two howling minotaurs who take more
>than 64 punches to kill (yes, we know at least that much). I'd say you
>either have to find a pattern or else you're done for... we got about 2
>haphazard hits in and that was it...
>
>As for level 9... slaying all of the creatures after walking over the
>pentagram would not nearly be as difficult as you think... first of all,
>since the level is so big you can run away and hide behind a door, and let
>all of the monsters kill themselves. I'll give it a shot...

Level 8 is not really hard. I finished it a couple different ways with a
pistol. You can either trap the guys behind the stairs or just fight them
outright. Fighting them outright is also easy. All you have to do is shoot at
them with a pistol from far away, dodge a couple of their flameballs, and when
they get close just run to another spot. EASY!

Now fighting level 9 with just a pistol is a totally different story. There
are creatures all over the place you have to kill. Getting them to attack each
other is not so easy as you think. I will declare anyone who does this level
with just a pistol TOP NOTCH and will put them in my Super Hall of Fame.
Remember, you have to walk over the teleporter! For those who don't know how
to get to this level, type this:
doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record lev9pist

Be prepaired to encode it and upload it here.

Peter King

Jan 15, 1994, 10:43:04 PM1/15/94

C'mon! Surely the ultimate challenge is to go through all the episodes
with just your fists! :-) Needless to say without cheating.

Peter

Peter King * The home of TORTUS.
Plasma Physics Department * T
University of Sydney, NSW 2006 * O
AUSTRALIA * Roid of
voice: 61 2 692 2484 * The
FAX: 61 2 660 2903 * University of
email: ki...@physics.su.OZ.AU * Sydney

Krug Travolta

Jan 17, 1994, 10:54:39 AM1/17/94
Now THAT would be a good game!!!

Bob Tausworthe

Jan 17, 1994, 2:05:55 PM1/17/94

: >From: to...@cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe)

: >Bend over and prepare your back. I'm only one of several people who have

: >completed the Entire Shareware game with only a pistol and chainsaw on UV
: >mode. It can be done.

: > tozz

: Not that I doubt your word... Let's see an .lmp file (just the last level
: will do), otherwise I'll have to say that there's no substance to your claim.

I'll work on an .lmp file, but I'll give you the strategy so you can see if
it "makes sense"

After killing all the rihnos you load up on bullets (you already have a
chainsaw) and go up the elevator into the "starchamber". At this point you
STAY ON THE PLATFORM soas not to wake up the Boss (kinda like work eh?)
At least half of the invisibles will come to you. You just stick out the
chainsaw and let them impale themselves on it.

Now you are ready for part 2. With your pistol out run fast to your left.
Blow the canisters and grab the invisible pill. Pull out your chainsaw and turn
around. Kill the rest of the invisibles (they funnel right into you since
you are in the point of the star).

Now at this point, all of the invisibles are killed, your invisible and
the bosses are wandering around. Here is the strategy for killing the
bosses. From the point of the star (up a little actually to give yourself
a little manuvering room) start laying into them with your pistol. They
will start firing but they are firing green boogers which you can easily
sidestep. As they fire they will continue walking in your direction. When
they are starting to get too close, RUN LIKE HELL TO THE OPPOSITE POINT
OF THE STAR AND REPEAT THE PROCESS. Do this until they die. If you use
the "fast" mode on the run you can run right by them and they can't get
a shot off in time. So you are always firing at a distance.

I've made a few adjustments to the keyboard controls to make this game
a little easier. I play with a mouse and the keyboard. The mouse I've
set up as:

Left button: fire
right buttong: sidestep (strafe whatever)

keyboard movement: wsad (instead of arrows)
fast: spacebar
open: spacebar

So when I'm firing at the bosses I'm just moving my mouse, firing, sidestepping
etc. Then when I run it's just <w><spacebar> and away I go. Anyway, I play
the whole game in this configuration. It makes it much easier. My left had
is on the keyboard, which I mostly only use for foward <w>, and fast or
open <spacebar>, and then I do all fine tuning (turning, back, extra speed
fire, side) with the mouse. It really works great.

Anyway, I'll work on that lmp file, but I hope this technique outlined above
makes sense.

tozz

Mike Llewellyn

Jan 17, 1994, 2:41:17 PM1/17/94
In article <2hcior$f...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> hea...@cco.caltech.edu (Heath Ian
Hunnicutt) writes:

..

> Maybe for their next game, ID will choose evangelical christians.
> These dummies could come up to you and try to give you a pamphlet
> about myths and fairy-tales that purport to provide a means to
> escape death, etc., etc., *BOOM* A shotgun blast to the bible-thumpers
> head.
>
> Now that would be a fight against absolute evil.

Yeah, with extra-gore graphics so we get to see the tiny brains splatting from
the heads, with lots of blood, and the ability to rummage around in bloody
human remains in close-up...heh he heh heh ...shhlllurrp...

.. back to my dinner, of the freshest virgin-blood.

DOOM awaits.

--
Satan is God.

Mike Llewellyn

Jan 17, 1994, 2:49:35 PM1/17/94
In article <1994Jan17....@xexos.com> mi...@xexos.com (Mike Llewellyn)
writes:
[nasty, yucky, sort of horrible stuff deleted]

I think you should see a doctor.
Maybe take some pills or somethin'.

Jesus. (oops - erm, I meant 'Golly')

Freddy

<mi...@xexos.com> : Xexos (London) Ltd. : Tel. 071 237 4535 : Fax. 071 231 0844
Disclaimer : Usual stuff - Anything I ever say in no way represents the views
of my employer. Or anyone else (except God, maybe).

Paul Brinkley

Jan 17, 1994, 6:18:32 PM1/17/94
In article <matth.7...@extro.ucc.su.oz.au>,
Matthew Hannigan <ma...@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> wrote:

>mo0...@u.cc.utah.edu (Matt Ownby) writes:
>
>As for bare fists -hmmm maybe you could run up behind them and give
>them a thwack and then retreat -- but it would take a about 200 such
>thwacks each!

Apparently your fists are just about as powerful as pistol shots, and
perhaps half as powerful as a rocket launcher (depending on how well
you hit) when you have berserk.

In god mode, it took me roughly 70 to 80 punches to kill a Baron
of Hell.

Punching a Baron even ONCE is a major task. In god mode, I had
to lead it into one of the points of the star in the map, so that
it wouldn't drive me back with its acidballs. The problem is, as
soon as you get close enough to one of these guys, he just pushes
you back (and damages you) with one of his acidballs.

I gave up trying to punch the Cyberdemon to death in god mode,
since he fires three quick rockets at you and pushes you perhaps
five or more body lengths away from him. I never could get a
punch in, or even the chainsaw.

Paul Brinkley
brin...@cs.utexas.edu

Commander Spock

Jan 17, 1994, 10:38:43 PM1/17/94
In article <CJsFp...@cup.hp.com> to...@cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe) writes:
>From: to...@cup.hp.com (Bob Tausworthe)
>Subject: Re: DOOM: The Ultimate Test for the Hall Of Fame.
>Date: 17 Jan 94 19:05:55 GMT

>: > tozz

> tozz

Gee, sure hope you can do better than that retarded 666.zip, that's got to be
the weakest performance I've ever seen.

- Rich

Mike Loux

Jan 18, 1994, 12:26:55 PM1/18/94
In article <2hcior$f...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> hea...@cco.caltech.edu (Heath Ian Hunnicutt) writes:
>Maybe for their next game, ID will choose evangelical christians.
>These dummies could come up to you and try to give you a pamphlet
>about myths and fairy-tales that purport to provide a means to
>escape death, etc., etc., *BOOM* A shotgun blast to the bible-thumpers
>head.

>Now that would be a fight against absolute evil.

I can imagine the sound bits as well:

As the bible thumper comes up:

"We'd like to talk to you about the word of GHOD..."

And after a few shells get pumped into their bodies, in a teary voice:

"I have SINNED!!!!!" *THUD*

*snicker*

-Mikus

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| Michael J. Loux, Jr - LAN E-Mail Postmaster & One Hell of a Nice Guy |
| University of Connecticut Computer Center: ml...@rm42.ucc.uconn.edu |
|"Ever notice that 'cat the output to time' makes more sense when read |
| backwards?" |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

Matt Ownby

Jan 18, 1994, 4:12:45 PM1/18/94

Dan Fabulich (gf...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Matt Ownby wrote:
: > Ok. Here is a .LMP file I did _today_ that uses a combination of fists
: > and the pistol (nothing else) to finish mission 1 level 8. I am still
: > working on doing it with _just_ fists, and this kind of shows how to do
: > the first part w ith fists if you haven't already figured it out. It's a
: > guaranteed thriller <grin>... (or.. maybe not hehehehehe) The viewer will
: > quickly see how easy it is to slay the demon lords with a pistol if you
: > play your cards right. (this was pure luck, but it opened a possibility
: > for doing it with fists if anyone can)

: I dunno, didn't I see you fire a shotgun once or twice??? :)

Uh... what? <grin> Well, I did fire a shotgun once and that was because it
automatically switched weapons once I ran out of ammo. But by that time
the demon lords were already DEAD (er.. almost..)

: Besides, it looked like the method *I* always use: Get 'em caught and
: then blast away at great distances. This, quite frankly, ISN'T POSSIBLE,
: unless we can get the idreallyreallylongarms code to work.

Yes... they get caught behind there and then you can pick them off at your
leisure. Still haven't done it with fists... their fireballs can hit you
if you get too close *grumble*

Steven Gershenfeld

Jan 19, 1994, 1:02:00 PM1/19/94
In article <2hf6c8$q...@ozona.cs.utexas.edu>,

You can use the chainsaw (and I presume fists), with the spider demon
if you can get the other dudes in the area (the minotaur and the 3
cacodemons) to attack it. Then it ignores you for a while and you can
get quite a lot of chainsaw time on him. This was of course in god mode,
I have been able to beat the spider demon (in UV mode), with the BFG9000
(2-3 shots!), the plasma cannon (quite a few), the rocket launcher (about
20-30 or so). It just is too hard for me with a shotgun, and I don't even
want to think about doing it with a pistol or chaingun (the chaingun would
just run out I think, even with a backpack).

The big secret is to let the minotaur and friends to take out the demon for a
while (run around a lot, then pick up the super recharge..) Make sure
you enter the level with as much armor and health as possible. Then when
the baron and friends die, kill him. of course, you can just run up to
him and pump him with 2-3 BFG9000 and not take any damage, but that is
not too much fun.

Steven

Ben Parrish

Jan 19, 1994, 1:29:25 PM1/19/94
I didn't used to be religious, but after playing Doom, I have decided to
devote my life to the teachings of our Lord, Mephistopholes.

--
[ pin...@access.digex.net ]
[ reticulating splines since 1994! ]

Steve Mooradian

Jan 20, 1994, 7:18:02 PM1/20/94
You guys are dickfaces. Just because one loser can't handle the
intensity in Doom doesn't mean that all "Bible thumpers" think that way.

Maybe I'll get a chance to play you guys on the Net sometime......
.....yeah.....and I'll be the first one to shove a chainsaw down your throat!

--
STEPHEN MOORADIAN
moo...@rpi.edu

Krug Travolta

Jan 21, 1994, 12:38:32 AM1/21/94
In article <2hn6vq$g...@usenet.rpi.edu> moo...@rpi.edu writes:
> You guys are dickfaces. Just because one loser can't handle the
>intensity in Doom doesn't mean that all "Bible thumpers" think that way.
>
> Maybe I'll get a chance to play you guys on the Net sometime......
>.....yeah.....and I'll be the first one to shove a chainsaw down your throat!
>
>--
>STEPHEN MOORADIAN
>moo...@rpi.edu

My! Wasn't that articulate? I don't think I've ever heard the word
"dickface" used so wonderfully before.

--- Krug Travolta

Matthew Hannigan

Jan 19, 1994, 8:48:26 PM1/19/94
[e3l8]

sger...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Steven Gershenfeld) writes:
>You can use the chainsaw (and I presume fists), with the spider demon
>if you can get the other dudes in the area (the minotaur and the 3
>cacodemons) to attack it. Then it ignores you for a while and you can
>get quite a lot of chainsaw time on him. This was of course in god mode,
>I have been able to beat the spider demon (in UV mode), with the BFG9000
>(2-3 shots!), the plasma cannon (quite a few), the rocket launcher (about
>20-30 or so). It just is too hard for me with a shotgun, and I don't even
>want to think about doing it with a pistol or chaingun (the chaingun would
>just run out I think, even with a backpack).

>The big secret is to let the minotaur and friends to take out the demon for a
>while (run around a lot, then pick up the super recharge..) Make sure
>you enter the level with as much armor and health as possible. Then when
>the baron and friends die, kill him. of course, you can just run up to
>him and pump him with 2-3 BFG9000 and not take any damage, but that is
>not too much fun.

Agreed, the best way is to get them to fight each other, but this can
be a matter of luck. I have done this level by _starting_ with the
pistol and nothing else (I jumped to the level by using the cheats).
After the spider demon has been fighting the Cacodaemons and the Barons
for a while, it only needs a few hits with the rocket launcher to
finish him/her/it off.

Sorry no .lmp for ya. Maybe if you asked nicely I'll try and do
it again and record it.

--
-Matt Hannigan

Matt Ownby

Jan 23, 1994, 1:12:32 AM1/23/94
kj...@uno.edu wrote:

: >: Come on people, what I really want to see is someone beat mission 1, level 9

: >: with just a pistol. I'm talking about the whole thing, walking over the
: >: teleporter and everything. This level 8 pistol and fist is wimpy. I want to
: >: see some real action. As soon as I do it, I will upload the demo here.

: >
: >

[...]

Ok, pal.. <grin> I have accepted your challenge and have ALMOST done the
entire level 9 as you requested but I _suspect_ that what I have
accomplished is basically what you are looking for. I have gotten all the
way to the end, but I choke everytime inside the acid trenches. If you'll
recall, after you clean out everything inside the "blue" room (imps,
humans, and invisible munchers) you have to go inside an acid trench, kill
1 imp, press a button, kill about 3 or 4 more imps, go up an elevator,
then kill two invisible munchers before you have gotten 100% kills. I
have gotten to the point before the trench, but as soon as I go in I a)
start taking tremendous amounts of damage from running on poison, b)_
always lose a considerable amount of health fighting the imp in close
combat with a piece-of-schlop pistol and c) always have to fight at least
two imps at close range with a pistol with NO manueverability (if I go
right, I fall into acid) after all this is done. Even if I _could_ kill
them (which I never can), I then have to run through more poison and kill
about two more imps which don't come out after you... and even if I could
kill them, then I could have to somehow make it past two invisible
munchers which would be blocking my escape route. The bottom line is,
this part cannot be sensibly dubbed as "possible" with a pistol.. the
designers obviously expected the person to be carrying both a shotgun and
a chaingun. If you can tell me how to pass this part, then I will finish
the blasted level, but I think I've done the "hard" stuff already.. (no,
the hard stuff, not the impossible stuff hehehe)

Aside from those few imps and munchers at the end, I have completely
killed EVERYTHING else on the entire level and this include all of the
monsters that teleport out from the pentagram when you run over it. EVERY
single monster. And.. it wasn't easy <grin>. I _hope_ this satisfies
your challenge, because.. dangit... that end part is NOT possible and it
isn't really that significant either, in my opinion. I doubt that even
someone who had 199% health and 200% armor could pass that particular
section with just a pistol.

kj...@uno.edu

Jan 24, 1994, 12:56:45 AM1/24/94

Congradulations, you accomplished the part I was talking about. Everyone
boasts about how good they are in doom until I give them this mission. You
seemed to accomplish everything possible. I am kinda disappointed you didn't
include a .lmp file of yourself completing what you did. I for one would of
loved to see you fight yourself around the monsters, and I know others want to
see it also. Please either post the lmp here or upload it to a FTP site.

BTW, I will be including my best lmp of this mission after I encode it. It
was a hell of a fight.

David McIntyre

Jan 24, 1994, 1:23:17 PM1/24/94
In article <2ht4gg$4...@u.cc.utah.edu> mo0...@u.cc.utah.edu (Matt Ownby) writes:
>Aside from those few imps and munchers at the end, I have completely
>killed EVERYTHING else on the entire level and this include all of the
>monsters that teleport out from the pentagram when you run over it. EVERY
>single monster. And.. it wasn't easy <grin>. I _hope_ this satisfies
>your challenge, because.. dangit... that end part is NOT possible and it
>isn't really that significant either, in my opinion. I doubt that even
>someone who had 199% health and 200% armor could pass that particular
>section with just a pistol.

I've found that one or two punches does better than 4 or 5 pistol shots in
killing imps and humans. It's also fun to see them splatter. :)
--
xyzzy@ | Opinions expressed | I'm not half as think | More fun than I
imagen.com | are entirely my own | as confused you am. | should be having

Ryan

Jan 27, 1994, 9:57:01 PM1/27/94
In article <1994Jan24....@cs.uno.edu>, <kj...@uno.edu> wrote:
> Congradulations, you accomplished the part I was talking about. Everyone
>boasts about how good they are in doom until I give them this mission. You
>seemed to accomplish everything possible. I am kinda disappointed you didn't
>include a .lmp file of yourself completing what you did. I for one would of
>loved to see you fight yourself around the monsters, and I know others want to
>see it also. Please either post the lmp here or upload it to a FTP site.

I was recording this level (as you described in the Ultimate Test post) and
I killed everything up to going through the blue key door and the acid pit,
etc...when doom bombed and it didn't even save the file. That was enough
to make me quit for the day. Anyway, once I have a .lmp file, how do I view
it? If I feel like it again, I may try a couple more times, but I suspect
(as the other guy posted) that it is just not possible with a pistol to
finish the very very end. A combination of the acid, imps and the inviso
dudes just kill you, especially since you have no manueverability in the
acid or the platform, i.e. when you reach the platform (assuming you've
killed the imps behind you) there is always an imp just wailing on you
as you wait for the platform to raise and then there is an inviso dude
also. If you could run and hide for a second you'd have a chance or if
you had a radiation suit (that would've been a cool thing to put in the
platform room on the pedestal closest to the door, then I would've actually
bothered to make it...). Anyway, just random thoughts....

-Ryan
-sl...@tamu.edu

V. Long

Jan 27, 1994, 2:47:00 PM1/27/94
MO|kj...@uno.edu wrote:

MO|: Now fighting level 9 with just a pistol is a totally different story.
MO|: doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record lev9pist

MO|: Be prepaired to encode it and upload it here.

Okay
So then what?
i.e. do I then decode? How?
I appreciate whatever "encoded" attachment that will be uploaded,
but some of us need a little guidance in order to fully appreciate
and honor the guts it took to do level 9 with just a pistol.
Thanks for the help (and the lmp)!
---
* OLX 2.1 TD * Hello, I am part number ||*||||*||*||*||

Matt Ownby

Feb 1, 1994, 5:38:58 AM2/1/94
V. Long (v#d#.lo...@swcbbs.com) wrote:
: MO|kj...@uno.edu wrote:

If you have a good news reader (I use tin) then it does it automatically
for you. Otherwise, capture it, download UUDECODE (usually in source code
format), compile it, run it <grin>... it should successfully convert the
file.