Eric Yick Leung

John Romero

Jun 2, 1994, 12:19:27 PM6/2/94
> Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!
>

> I Eric Leung have won multiple DOOM ladders and tournaments.

> I have met with only putrid feable competition. I cannot be stopped,

> I cannot be FRAGGED. I am the best and I am BORED.

> I have had a network setup here at my residence at the

> University of British Columbia and suffice to say Eric Leung kicks

> multiple ass. I am so good no three players combined can stop me.

> I frag them all
>

> I practice 12 hours a day. I only sleep and go to university lectures.

> I take wake up pills to keep playing. I clearly am the best and can

> probably take any one of those ID boys. I am Eric Leung "KING OF DOOM!".
> Please someone phone me and DOOM me. Someone Better than all those

> useless competitors from the Vancouver area. This is a direct

> Challenge to everyone expecially the texas doom tourney champs,

> John Romero of ID soft.

> Please someone worthy call me to DOOM.

> "I can take you all, kick you ass and take you wallet". So to speak.
>

> You ask me if I have a GOD complex, well quite frankly

> I am GOD, DOOM GOD.
>

> E-mail me and lets doom. I am Eric "Pook-Gai" Leung, King of DOOM.

> My phone number here in Vancouver B.C. can be obtained if you email me

Eric:

You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink my
knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

---
| John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
| Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
| ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
| >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
| From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
| and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
| have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
| >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |

stev...@garnet.berkeley.edu

Jun 2, 1994, 12:56:05 PM6/2/94
I hope someone will post the outcome of this matchup . . .

--
Steven K. Ross (510) 644-2414 | AHMA Group, 3422A Dwinelle Hall
stev...@garnet.berkeley.edu | U. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

S.P. Harvey

Jun 2, 1994, 2:09:05 PM6/2/94
John Romero (jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com) wrote:
: > Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!
: > Challenge to everyone expecially the texas doom tourney champs,
: > John Romero of ID soft.

: Eric:

: You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
: down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink my
: knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
: master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

: Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

Hey man, don't mess with the creator of the Universe you apparently live
in. I would imagine a deathmatch showdown between John Romero and any
other mortal is going to be really ugly. Pull out your dusty copy of
Bullfinch's Mythology for further references.

--
harv | sha...@interaccess.com | mini-biography below by l.shell
"lazy map-making, Camel smoking, mini-van driving, Doom playing, An hating,

Terry Evans

Jun 2, 1994, 2:39:31 PM6/2/94
John Romero (jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com) wrote:
: > Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!

: > I Eric Leung have won multiple DOOM ladders and tournaments.

<Numerous rantings and ravings "accidentally" deleted>

: > You ask me if I have a GOD complex, well quite frankly

: > I am GOD, DOOM GOD.
: >
: > E-mail me and lets doom. I am Eric "Pook-Gai" Leung, King of DOOM.
: > My phone number here in Vancouver B.C. can be obtained if you email me
: >

: Eric:

: You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
: down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink
: my knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
: master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

: Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

: ---
: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
: | Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
: | ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
: | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
: | From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
: | and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
: | have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
: | >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |
: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Hey John,

Could you make some .lmp's of the slaughter of Eric "Pook Gai" Leung and
post them? A guy with an ego like that deserves to be fragged a _few_ times.

Terry
tev...@cs.utah.edu

GI...@qucdn.queensu.ca

Jun 3, 1994, 6:24:07 AM6/3/94
In article <940602171...@idcube.idsoftware.com>,

jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com (John Romero) says:

>> Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!

>> I Eric Leung have won multiple DOOM ladders and tournaments.
>
>> I have met with only putrid feable competition. I cannot be stopped,
>
>> I cannot be FRAGGED. I am the best and I am BORED.

< snip >

>> I practice 12 hours a day. I only sleep and go to university lectures.
>
>> I take wake up pills to keep playing. I clearly am the best and can
>
>> probably take any one of those ID boys. I am Eric Leung "KING OF DOOM!".

< *YAWN* snip >

(Now the GOOD stuff)

>Eric:
>
>You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
>down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink
>my ^^^^^
^^

>knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
^^^^
So, which alt.sex group is this being cross-posted to.... ;)

>master, pitiful DOOM GOD?
>
>Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.
>
>---
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
>| Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
>| ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
>| >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
>| From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
>| and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
>| have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
>| >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

First off, it seems pretty damn obvious that the original poster isn't
a Canadian ( even though he's posting from B.C. ). The best Canuck-DOOMers
don't need to bluster their PERCEIVED superiority all over the Internet; we
simply dispatch any doubters quickly and cleanly.

I have to admit that the post DID receive a personal reply from an ID God (no
small feat), but that's a two-edged sword. It's quite an accomplishment to
warrant the attention of a God, but when the lightning bolts start flying you
tend to sober up pretty fast!

I hope I'm correct in assuming you're not Canadian, because otherwise I'm
being quite unpatriotic when I say that I'm eager for John Romero to shotgun
your ass into pink, jellied goo !

Of course if you did beat John, you'd find this DOOM fan picking up his own
weapons and blasting away at your blasphemous hide until you were just a
twitching, grotesque parody of your former self. *Hmph*

I sure hope this match actually happens!

** as an aside: how effective is long distance ModemDOOM ? I was going to have
a friendly DOOM DeathMatch with someone quite a distance away,
but he had said that a friend had been unable to successfully
hook up with someone else a few States away. Is this typical,
or have others had no problem ?

Regards,

-Shriker

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

bar...@hope.edu

Jun 3, 1994, 10:40:06 AM6/3/94

>>** as an aside: how effective is long distance ModemDOOM ? I was going to have
>> a friendly DOOM DeathMatch with someone quite a distance away,
>> but he had said that a friend had been unable to successfully
>> hook up with someone else a few States away. Is this typical,
>> or have others had no problem ?
>
> Although I haven't played it long distance, (much $$$) I do call
>many long distance BBSes, and I connect fine at 14.4k. I would
>assume it would work just as well.

(Interactive BBS usage is probably not as intensive as doom comm,
and file transfer protocols are built with delays in mind.)

I would imagine it would all depend upon how your call got routed
and how far the signals actually travel. The further you are apart
(route wise) the more choppy the gameplay is going to be and at
some point there may be timeouts that make it impossible.

(it is possible, although unlikely, that a call from one house to
the house next door could get routed through a satellite)

I would guess that it could take at least a quarter of a second
for a signal to go to halfway around the world (um, this is a very
rough estimate), that would make the round trip about 1/2 second.
If you could only move every 1/2 second it would be pretty choppy
looking.

It would be nice to hear some "long distance success stories".
How about it moDOOMers? How far away have you played?

-Steve
bar...@hope.edu

Hardball

Jun 3, 1994, 11:50:02 AM6/3/94
>You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
>down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and
>drink my knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take
>on your master, pitiful DOOM GOD?
>
>Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

HA! "Kneel and drink my knob" I love it!
And Eric, I wouldn't go messing with a REAL Doom God, terrible things might
befall us all if he should become upset! Our Universe might never be the
same again!

Ian CR Mapleson

Jun 3, 1994, 8:47:04 PM6/3/94

ap...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Hank Leukart) wrote:
> Hmmmm... I wonder if the win of Eric would cause a disrupture in the
> space time continum... This is getting too deep. :)

Hmmm... well, this is a worrying possibility! I must check this out!

I asked Deep Thought (on loan from the mice) and he said it could actually
cause a massive hole in the doom time confragium... :)

Ian.

Alan Wen (409)696-8909

Jun 2, 1994, 8:38:00 PM6/2/94
In article <2sl913$f...@magus.cs.utah.edu>, tev...@lal.cs.utah.edu (Terry Evans) writes...
>John Romero (jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com) wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if John Romero pulls some sort of cheat to play
deathmatch. What about: IDJOHNR
to activate air airstrike on a target?

alan

V.Bareau

Jun 3, 1994, 11:31:05 AM6/3/94
In article <940602171...@idcube.idsoftware.com>, John Romero wrote:
> > Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!

<stuff deleted>

> | John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
> | Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
> | ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
> | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
> | From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
> | and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
> | have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
> | >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |

Does this mean that Eric "Pook Gai" Leung can now include a

"ID number =1"

in his sig?

For that matter, I have often wondered if John Romero could be
related to George Romero. I can see similarities between Doom and
"Night of the Living Dead".

Christopher J. Pollard

Jun 5, 1994, 6:07:23 AM6/5/94

>I asked Deep Thought (on loan from the mice) and he said it could actually
>cause a massive hole in the doom time confragium... :)

Hmm, that makes me think. How about a patch to replace all the monsters
with Perfectlynormalbeasts?

Chris.

ps Hi there Ian.

Scott R Schuricht

Jun 6, 1994, 1:42:31 PM6/6/94

That's funny, I asked Deep Thought also to verify your result (for statistical
purposes) and all it told me was "42" :-)

M*********E*********T*********A********L*********L*********I*********C********A
* Scott Schuricht * Stop!, in the name of all that which does *
* Mechanical Engineering * not suck...I hate stuff that suck's. *
* schu...@mn.ecn.purdue.edu * - Butt-Head *
* * *
****M*********E*********G*********A*********D*********E*********T*********H****

Chris Norden

Jun 6, 1994, 9:40:48 AM6/6/94
To use another used-to-death (not exact) quote...

Eric-
I've seen John play netDoom...
I know John...
You are NO John Romero!

If you had actually programmed Doom, then MAYBE your pompousness would
be tolerated. Please take your hyper-inflated super-ego and post
elsewhere...you're filling up my buffer with too much BS.

Oh and BTW...if this match ever does take place...I wanna watch Eric be
disintegrated!! Maybe we could have another Doom tournament here in Austin.
Anyone interested???

-cnn

//
// Chris Norden
// Programmer, Origin Systems
//
// E-mail: cno...@origin.ea.com
//
// Any opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily of my employer!
//

George Broussard

Jun 7, 1994, 5:16:00 AM6/7/94
Hi Hank,

Nobody beats Romero at Doom. Nobody. Seen him play a few times and
it's fscary! There's a sense of awe about it. A hush falls over the
room as people watch and they wonder how it's possible for someone to be
so good (forget the fact that he made the game and has played it for
over a year :) ).

I'd bet that Romero would win 99% of any 2 out of 3 matches. He will
sometimes lose a game, but never the match. I'd back this guy against
anyone in the world.

Even some of the guys at id would love to see him get his butt kicked,
but it ain't gonna happen, so let's all accept it. We got guys at
Apogee who live Doom and play it night and day and are damn good, but
Romero can kill them dead every time.

My two cents worth since I've actually seen him play and played against
him.

George Broussard
Apogee

Ian CR Mapleson

Jun 7, 1994, 2:14:23 PM6/7/94
schu...@schenectady.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott R Schuricht) wittily replied:

> That's funny, I asked Deep Thought also to verify your result (for statistical
> purposes) and all it told me was "42" :-)

I did the opposite. I asked Deep Thought to unverify the question. He said he
needed a Brownian motion source. I poured a hot cuppa tea over the console.

'Well?', I asked.

'What is 6 times 9?', came the reply.

Hmmm... try base 13, dudes! :D

:-)

Ian.

PS. I've just finished the part about Krikkit. Turned on the TV. BBC was
showing a cricket match. Some guy had scored 501 runs.

Barf. Sick, sick, sick... 8{

I turned over... :)

PPS. DOOM IS AWESOME! Eric Y.L.'s a banana brain!

Phew, gotta have something relevant... :)

Michael Bayerl

Jun 8, 1994, 6:54:00 AM6/8/94

Hi folks!

Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB RAM.
It is nearly impossible for him to load SMARTDRV and to run DOOM. (I think
because SMARTDRV uses too much EMS, and then DOOM refuses to work.)
He has QEMM386 7.02 on his machine with 639 kB free memory.

In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV with
the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this parameter
any more. :-(

Has anyone got an idea, except from buying more RAM, because without
SMARTDRV, DOOM is often too busy to load lots of bytes from the harddisk
and during that, the monsters have enough time to kill you ...

Many thanx in advance!

Michael

## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

John Reinhold

Jun 8, 1994, 12:29:36 PM6/8/94
Michael Bayerl (mic...@snoopy.freinet.de) wrote:

> Hi folks!

> Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB RAM.

/^\
Here's the Problem. --------------------------------------------|

Doom needs 4 megs to run, and Smartdrv usually takes 2. Even if you
could use Smartdrv, the amount of cache availiable would barely be
able to hold a keystroke, let alone anything big.

--
--------------------------<>---------------------------
"1935 will go down in History! For the first time, a

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not
be infringed."
---Second Ammendment to the Constitution
of the United States of America.

John Reinhold Portales, New Mexico (USA)

Matthew Amendt

Jun 8, 1994, 6:57:38 PM6/8/94
In article <5QS1r...@snoopy.freinet.de>,

Michael Bayerl <mic...@snoopy.freinet.de> wrote:

>Hi folks!
>
>Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB RAM.
>It is nearly impossible for him to load SMARTDRV and to run DOOM. (I think
>because SMARTDRV uses too much EMS, and then DOOM refuses to work.)
>He has QEMM386 7.02 on his machine with 639 kB free memory.
>
>In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV with
>the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this parameter
>any more. :-(

[snip]

Hmmm... double-buffering is used to prevent memory mapped devices (mainly
SCSI) from conflicting with stuff loaded in the high memory area. It doesn't
really have anything to do with reducing smartdrv's size or freeing more ems.

You should be able to load a 256K disk cache with 4megs of memory but that
really doesn't help a whole lot. Mt. Erebus still chokes bigtime. The simple
solution is to buy more memory. For the price it'll make the biggest
difference in performance, and not just for Doom.

>Michael

Matt

Grover Thomas

Jun 10, 1994, 1:42:55 PM6/10/94
In article <5QS1r...@snoopy.freinet.de>,
Michael Bayerl <mic...@snoopy.freinet.de> wrote:

>In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV with
>the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this parameter
>any more. :-(

I believe the DOUBLE_BUFFER command is used in the CONFIG.SYS file,
not the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Type HELP SMARTDRV.EXE at the DOS command
prompt.
As others have pointed out, I don't think it will make much difference
on a 4MB machine.

--
__ __
(__) Grover Thomas InterNet: gro...@emunix.emich.edu (__)