DOSBox 0.74-3 keyboard issue

Zaghadka

May 24, 2023, 12:42:42 PM5/24/23
Hey guys. I haven't fired up DOSBox in a while, and it seems my new
keyboard that I've gotten since the last time is messing with my keymap
in DOSBox.

If I type \, I get ]
If I type ], I get [
If I type =, nothing happens
If I type `, nothing happens

I've looked all over Google for a solution. I've even tried the keyboard
mapper internal to DOSBox (Ctrl+F1). Nothing works.

Rn, I have to type ALT+061 to get an equals sign out of it, which is
crucial for "cycles=max"

The \ is easy enough to get around as DOSBox will recognize / for the
same purpose.

Has anyone solved this keyboard issue though? I have a Logitech K270.
DOSBox is screwed up with it.

--
Zag

West of House
There is a small mailbox here.

>read leaflet
"WELCOME TO USENET!

USENET is a game of adventure, danger,
and low cunning. In it you will
explore some of the most amazing
territory ever seen by mortals. No
computer should be without it!"

Mike S.

May 24, 2023, 2:25:39 PM5/24/23
On Wed, 24 May 2023 11:40:35 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone solved this keyboard issue though? I have a Logitech K270.
>DOSBox is screwed up with it.

I never had this problem with DosBox myself so I have no idea if this
is going to work for you or not but I googled your issue. Try the
advice on this website. -->

https://www.dosgamers.com/dos/dosbox-dos-emulator/keyboard-layout

Ivan Shmakov

May 24, 2023, 2:44:50 PM5/24/23

> Hey guys. I haven't fired up DOSBox in a while, and it seems my new
> keyboard that I've gotten since the last time is messing with my keymap
> in DOSBox.

> If I type \, I get ]
> If I type ], I get [
> If I type =, nothing happens
> If I type `, nothing happens

(Going to repeat myself here; news:u4at51$148th$1...@dont-email.me .)

That's in the FAQ (= README):

KEYBOARD: I can't type \ or : in DOSBox.
This can happen in various cases, like your host keyboard layout does not
have a matching DOS layout representation (or it was not correctly
detected), or the key mapping is wrong.

FWIW, the fix that worked for me is:

4. Open the DOSBox configuration file and change the usescancodes entry.

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. Delta (Delta sector) by Colmarr

Zaghadka

May 25, 2023, 11:11:15 AM5/25/23
Yeah, that's the sort of advice I could Google.

From what I can sus, the problem is the Windows keyboard driver for the
K270.

At least alt codes still work.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Zaghadka

May 25, 2023, 11:12:16 AM5/25/23
On Wed, 24 May 2023 18:42:27 -0000 (UTC), in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> > Hey guys. I haven't fired up DOSBox in a while, and it seems my new
> > keyboard that I've gotten since the last time is messing with my keymap
> > in DOSBox.
>
> > If I type \, I get ]
> > If I type ], I get [
> > If I type =, nothing happens
> > If I type `, nothing happens
>
> (Going to repeat myself here; news:u4at51$148th$1...@dont-email.me .)
>
> That's in the FAQ (= README):
>
>KEYBOARD: I can't type \ or : in DOSBox.
> This can happen in various cases, like your host keyboard layout does not
> have a matching DOS layout representation (or it was not correctly
> detected), or the key mapping is wrong.

I read it, but it goes beyond the "\" key. Some keys don't function at
all. The "=" key is especially vexing.

> FWIW, the fix that worked for me is:
>
>4. Open the DOSBox configuration file and change the usescancodes entry.

Thanks for the idea. I changed it from "true" to "false." Unfortunately
it did not fix the issue.