Ubisoft Doesn't Learn

Spalls Hurgenson

May 17, 2023, 10:52:27 AM5/17/23
So, yeah. NFTs are back. Sorry.

Or rather, Ubisoft really wants them to come back. After losing their
shirts (and reputations) on their previous attempt to lever NFTs into
their games, they are trying again.*

Sure, the customers hate the idea. Sure, the employees hate the idea.
Sure, the NFT market has collapsed. But that doesn't matter, right?
And they're not NFTs anyway; they are 'smart collectibles'. So this
time it's gonna work. Why, you'll even be able to level them up and
forge new ones with recipes. How can it not work?

<sigh>

I suspect somebody high up at Ubisoft really bought into the whole
cryptocoin/NFT thing and is desperate to find new suckers to prop up
his investment. But, c'mon; give it up man. That train has sailed.
Anyway, the new hotness is AI, not NFTs. You don't wanna be seen as
old-fanished? Don't get left behind. See if you can somehow
unnecessarily wedge ChatGPT into your games.

I mean, even mobile games haven't tried to embrace NFTs as desperately
as Ubisoft. When you come out the worst in a comparison with the most
rapacious part of the video game industry, you really need to do a
rethink.

Well, it will be fun to watch this crash-n-burn too.

--------------------------
* read about it here:
https://smartcollectibles.io/

Dimensional Traveler

May 17, 2023, 12:08:55 PM5/17/23
On 5/17/2023 7:52 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> So, yeah. NFTs are back. Sorry.
>
> Or rather, Ubisoft really wants them to come back. After losing their
> shirts (and reputations) on their previous attempt to lever NFTs into
> their games, they are trying again.*
>
> Sure, the customers hate the idea. Sure, the employees hate the idea.
> Sure, the NFT market has collapsed. But that doesn't matter, right?
> And they're not NFTs anyway; they are 'smart collectibles'. So this
> time it's gonna work. Why, you'll even be able to level them up and
> forge new ones with recipes. How can it not work?
>
> <sigh>
>
> I suspect somebody high up at Ubisoft really bought into the whole
> cryptocoin/NFT thing and is desperate to find new suckers to prop up
> his investment. But, c'mon; give it up man. That train has sailed.

Straight to the bottom of the harbor. Didn't even reach the sea. The
Mad Scientist who tried was very surprised. Very briefly.

> Anyway, the new hotness is AI, not NFTs. You don't wanna be seen as
> old-fanished? Don't get left behind. See if you can somehow
> unnecessarily wedge ChatGPT into your games.
>
> I mean, even mobile games haven't tried to embrace NFTs as desperately
> as Ubisoft. When you come out the worst in a comparison with the most
> rapacious part of the video game industry, you really need to do a
> rethink.
>
> Well, it will be fun to watch this crash-n-burn too.

In related news: Donald Trump's Trading Cards Plunge to Record Low Value

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-digital-trading-card-price-cryptocurrency-nft-1800585

:D

dirty old man.

Zaghadka

May 17, 2023, 12:47:25 PM5/17/23
On Wed, 17 May 2023 10:52:15 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Anyway, the new hotness is AI, not NFTs. You don't wanna be seen as
>old-fanished? Don't get left behind. See if you can somehow
>unnecessarily wedge ChatGPT into your games.

Oh, that's going to happen. I think Bethesda will probably release
something where the entire open world, including the dialog, will be
procedurely generated on the spot and call it "The Elder Scrolls VI:
Roguelike." It will require a Core i9 13900K and 64 GB of RAM.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Spalls Hurgenson

May 17, 2023, 1:32:17 PM5/17/23
On Wed, 17 May 2023 11:45:25 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>On Wed, 17 May 2023 10:52:15 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>Anyway, the new hotness is AI, not NFTs. You don't wanna be seen as
>>old-fanished? Don't get left behind. See if you can somehow
>>unnecessarily wedge ChatGPT into your games.

>Oh, that's going to happen. I think Bethesda will probably release
>something where the entire open world, including the dialog, will be
>procedurely generated on the spot and call it "The Elder Scrolls VI:
>Roguelike." It will require a Core i9 13900K and 64 GB of RAM.

Damn, I knew I should have splurged on that extra 32GB...

And I'm absolutely sure that ChatGPT will be used in future games.
It's too powerful a tool for publishers to ignore.

I'm just not convinced that - other than reducing development costs -
it will make for better games.

Zaghadka

May 18, 2023, 10:13:53 AM5/18/23
On Wed, 17 May 2023 13:30:26 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Wed, 17 May 2023 11:45:25 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>On Wed, 17 May 2023 10:52:15 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>>Anyway, the new hotness is AI, not NFTs. You don't wanna be seen as
>>>old-fanished? Don't get left behind. See if you can somehow
>>>unnecessarily wedge ChatGPT into your games.
>
>>Oh, that's going to happen. I think Bethesda will probably release
>>something where the entire open world, including the dialog, will be
>>procedurely generated on the spot and call it "The Elder Scrolls VI:
>>Roguelike." It will require a Core i9 13900K and 64 GB of RAM.
>
>Damn, I knew I should have splurged on that extra 32GB...
>
>And I'm absolutely sure that ChatGPT will be used in future games.
>It's too powerful a tool for publishers to ignore.
>
>I'm just not convinced that - other than reducing development costs -
>it will make for better games.

Currently? No.

I engaged Bing and asked it to "write a story about a llama going to the
dentist"*. It sucked. I mean, it was really bad and it took me at my word
that it was going to the dentist, complete with a mama llama**, instead
of a human caregiver taking it to a dentist (which should have been the
veterinarian). It is not context aware. It anthropomorphized the llama.
So facts wrong and narrative dry as a bone. Like I remember my daughters
writing stories in the 5th grade. That level of "not good."

I then went on about llamatron and asked many other obsessive questions
about llamas.***

*Seriously, I did this. I thought about you the whole time.

**It did not call her "mama llama," completely missing the opportunity to
rhyme. So much for "creativity." A text generator that lacks creativity
will provide convincing dialog and narratives, but lifeless as well.

***Again, thinking about you all the time with nothing but love in my
heart.

Spalls Hurgenson

May 18, 2023, 10:32:41 AM5/18/23
On Thu, 18 May 2023 09:12:21 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>On Wed, 17 May 2023 13:30:26 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>And I'm absolutely sure that ChatGPT will be used in future games.
>>It's too powerful a tool for publishers to ignore.

>>I'm just not convinced that - other than reducing development costs -
>>it will make for better games.

>Currently? No.

>I engaged Bing and asked it to "write a story about a llama going to the
>dentist"*. It sucked. I mean, it was really bad and it took me at my word
>that it was going to the dentist, complete with a mama llama**, instead
>of a human caregiver taking it to a dentist (which should have been the
>veterinarian). It is not context aware. It anthropomorphized the llama.
>So facts wrong and narrative dry as a bone. Like I remember my daughters
>writing stories in the 5th grade. That level of "not good."

I'm not sure why you even bother.

There will never, ever, EVER be a better story told about llama
denistry than the one put to song way back in 1975.

C'mon, sing along. You know the tune.

Me And my llama
Me and my llama
Goin' to the dentist today
Seems a little crazy
Guess you're just too lazy
You gotta get your teeth cleaned today

Me and my llama
Jumped out of our pajamas
And ran off to the dentist today
Me and my llama
Me and my llama
We're goin 'to the dentist ooo-eee
Yes, it's just my llama and me

Tell me if you feel afraid
Remember just to whisper softly into my ear
I won't leave and go away
You know I'm gonna be right here
Open up wide now
Let him look inside now
'Cause after this we'll go on our way
I won't let him hurt you
I'll be right there beside you
And I can tell that you'll be okay

Me and my llama
Jumped out of our pajamas
And ran off to the dentist today

Me and my llama
Me and my llama
We're goin' to the dentist oooo-eee
Yes, it's just my llama and me

Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da....
'Cause after this we'll go on out and play...

Me and my llama
Me and my llama
The sun is bright and now we are free
Yes, it's just my llama and me

Xocyll

May 21, 2023, 3:41:39 PM5/21/23
Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
So, "What my llama did on it's summer vacation"?

(Incidentally until I spell checked I had mistakenly spelled Summer as
Sumer, which would also work I guess although apparently that would
involve a time travelling Llama. That would likely be a more
interesting story though.)

Xocyll