D!ZONE for Doom - how new, how good?

Kipp

Feb 10, 1995, 1:28:40 PM2/10/95

I just saw a software package called D!ZONE in my local Sam's outlet,
a CD-ROM version with 900 new Doom levels for only $19.95. Pardon my
ignorance on this, but is this a new product and/or how much control does it
offer in terms of the ability to customize DOOM or DOOM II? Also, I've
never downloaded any of the DOOM add-ons available on the net - how do they
compare?

Please respond (or cc) via e-mail. Thanks.
Kipp Teague E-Mail: tea...@acavax.lynchburg.edu
Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Virginia

murpes, the Avatar.

Feb 10, 1995, 2:47:44 PM2/10/95
In <1995Feb10....@acavax.lynchburg.edu> tea...@acavax.lynchburg.edu writes:

$19.95 is what some profit-hungry money-grubbing capitalist bastard calls a
"handling fee" and is selling many of the DOOM wads made by people here on the
net. You can get all these wads for free at the larger FTP & FSP sites. FREE,
the way they're supposed to be.

(I also heard that id is releasing a similar package, tho. What's up with
that? And a DOOM II Screen Saver? Really? What happened to these guys?)

John Capriotti irc: murpes | B.D.: Zonker! Are you smoking the dreaded killer
JDCA...@vax1.acs.jmu.edu | marijuana in my huddle!?
My opinions are yours. |Zonker: Sure, Cap'n. Want some? - DOONESBURY
All spelling and grammatical errors are because I go to JMU, where
education is subservient to process.

Jason Merrill

Feb 10, 1995, 11:26:46 PM2/10/95

> $19.95 is what some profit-hungry money-grubbing capitalist bastard calls
> a "handling fee" and is selling many of the DOOM wads made by people here
> on the net. You can get all these wads for free at the larger FTP & FSP
> sites. FREE, the way they're supposed to be.

You can grab them for free from FTP or FSP sites, and use up HD space with
them.

Or you can get them on CD-ROM, and have 650MB of add-ons in one convenient
package.

People are willing to pay for this convenience, just like they're willing
to pay for CD-ROMS of Linux, X, and other large, free software packages.
Who are you to say they can't?

Of course, once we get a CD-ROM burner here at work, there'll be no reason
for _me_ to buy them...

Jason

edw...@keita.enet.dec.com

Feb 14, 1995, 11:57:59 AM2/14/95

JDCA...@vax1.acs.jmu.edu (murpes, the Avatar.)
( in resonse to a question about D!ZONE

>$19.95 is what some profit-hungry money-grubbing capitalist bastard calls a
>"handling fee" and is selling many of the DOOM wads made by people here on the
>net. You can get all these wads for free at the larger FTP & FSP sites. FREE,
>the way they're supposed to be.

>(I also heard that id is releasing a similar package, tho. What's up with
>that? And a DOOM II Screen Saver? Really? What happened to these guys?)

While ignoring the issue of whether 20$ is a fair price for the package of
other peoples labors, I *certainly* think that Id has the right to package
anything related to Doom anyway they want. It was their labors that made all
of this possible and they should profit from them. If they hadn't of made their
wonderful game so easily accessable, the editors and wads would not have
appeared in such abundance. As to the screen savers, why not? You (the
generic you, not just you personally) have the option of not buying it. I
might and if I do, I would rather the profit went to Id.

My opinion, of course.

--
John

Thomas Spaulding

Feb 17, 1995, 9:22:00 AM2/17/95
Also, you are getting the "registerd" version of D! That is alone $10.00
And another $9.00 to save some HD space ? The CD is packed.
IMHO :)

Tspl...@symnet.net

Todd Foley

Feb 21, 1995, 12:09:00 AM2/21/95

TS>’#FROM :tsplding#symnet.net
TS>t some profit-hungry money-grubbing capitalist bastard
TS>">calls a "handling fee" and is selling many of the DOOM wads made by
TS>people here on the
TS>">net.

yeah I guess you could ftp your ass off for a zillion years and use the
unregistered version of "D!" (formerly known as "Doom master") way
beyond the shareware expiration date to save a few bucks, but me, I'm
not such a tight-ass and I spent the measly $19.95 for a great cd-rom
package and am enjoying the hell out of it! :) (putting on asbestos
suit...)

ž CMPQwk 1.42-20 279 žAnd then Adam said, "What's a headache?"