German discussion about banning ego-shooters!

1 view

Unknown

Jul 9, 2002, 9:38:52 AM7/9/02
In Germany some politicians have suggested a total ban of ego-shooters
no matter what they are about.
An actual discussion takes place at the moment in the guest book

http://www.wdr.de/themen/panorama/kriminalitaet/erfurt/videospiele_gaestebuch.jhtml

Everyone who is interested can participate.
(Although it is in German, I think English entries should be possible, too.)

Memnoch

Jul 9, 2002, 10:41:13 AM7/9/02

Got to love the Google translator:

"It depends rather on the educational efforts of parents and teachers, in
order to meet possible acts of violence in the apron."

And we don't want violence in the aprons now do we? :-0

Christoph Nahr

Jul 9, 2002, 11:26:16 AM7/9/02
On 9 Jul 2002 15:38:52 +0200, Hubert Voll <> wrote:

>In Germany some politicians have suggested a total ban of ego-shooters
>no matter what they are about.

The correct English term is first-person shooter. "Ego-Shooter" is a
pseudo-English term invented by Germans, just like "Handy".

>http://www.wdr.de/themen/panorama/kriminalitaet/erfurt/videospiele_gaestebuch.jhtml
>
>Everyone who is interested can participate.
>(Although it is in German, I think English entries should be possible, too.)

As many participants in that discussion have already pointed out, a
ban on any kind of computer or console games in Germany is impossible
since Germany is a member of the EU which means there's unrestricted
and uncontrolled mail-order business with other EU states, e.g.
Britain or Austria. They can only effectively restrict direct import
from non-EU states (notably USA) and sale within Germany. So it would
be useless except for keeping kids and morons away from the games.

Particularly amusing are the rants of ignorant fanatics who say that
the "producers of such games should be thrown into prison." Yeah,
because exactly how many makers of 3d shooters are located in Germany?
--
http://www.kynosarges.de

One Punch Mickey

Jul 9, 2002, 12:25:13 PM7/9/02
Yeah, there's no extreme violence happening in the everyday world
between the armed forces of various states of course. But that sort of
violence is alright, isn't it.

--

-
- Almost, sweet talk, caffeine ...
"Christoph Nahr" <s...@reply-to.invalid> wrote in message

Memnoch

Jul 9, 2002, 2:57:37 PM7/9/02
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:25:13 +0100, "One Punch Mickey" <re...@to.newsgroup>
wrote:

>Yeah, there's no extreme violence happening in the everyday world
>between the armed forces of various states of course. But that sort of
>violence is alright, isn't it.

Yes, because in most cases it is government sanctioned!

mr bernard langham

Jul 10, 2002, 4:27:13 AM7/10/02

"Christoph Nahr" <s...@reply-to.invalid> wrote in message
> On 9 Jul 2002 15:38:52 +0200, Hubert Voll <> wrote:
>
> >In Germany some politicians have suggested a total ban of ego-shooters
> >no matter what they are about.
>
> The correct English term is first-person shooter. "Ego-Shooter" is a
> pseudo-English term invented by Germans, just like "Handy".

Not sure about "handy", but "ego-shooter" seems to me to be pretty much a
perfect description of FPS' in general.

--
>^..^<
Bernard
www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~langhb01
"Acts of rebellious solidarity/Can bring sense to this world/La Resistance!"
Stereolab "French Disko" 1995

Frank Jürgen Wörner

Jul 10, 2002, 8:44:26 AM7/10/02
"mr bernard langham" <blu...@SPAMMUSTDIE.ii.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Christoph Nahr" <s...@reply-to.invalid> wrote in message
> > On 9 Jul 2002 15:38:52 +0200, Hubert Voll <> wrote:
> >
> > >In Germany some politicians have suggested a total ban of ego-shooters
> > >no matter what they are about.
> >
> > The correct English term is first-person shooter. "Ego-Shooter" is a
> > pseudo-English term invented by Germans, just like "Handy".
>
> Not sure about "handy", but "ego-shooter" seems to me to be pretty much a
> perfect description of FPS' in general.

"Handy" is the German term for a cell phone.

Frank

Christoph Nahr

Jul 10, 2002, 8:46:46 AM7/10/02
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:27:13 +0800, "mr bernard langham"
<blu...@SPAMMUSTDIE.ii.net> wrote:

>Not sure about "handy", but "ego-shooter" seems to me to be pretty much a
>perfect description of FPS' in general.

"Handy" is German pseudo-English for "mobile phone." The "ego" in
"ego-shooter" refers to first-person perspective, not to the English
pop psychology term "ego." So pseudo-English "Ego-Shooter" is
actually a direct equivalent of English "first-person shooter", with
no psychological connotations intended. Of course you might say that
the interpretation with the English "ego" is also quite fitting. :-)
--
http://www.kynosarges.de

Troy

Jul 10, 2002, 5:14:48 PM7/10/02

<Hubert Voll> wrote in message news:3d2a...@news.uni-ulm.de...

Come on .... we already have green blood in most games so German game
players won't faint, throw up or pee their pants when playing :)

Troy

Memnoch

Jul 10, 2002, 6:07:03 PM7/10/02

I always thought it was to stop someone being pushed over the edge and going
for third time lucky! ;-)