Doom Time Trials! For those who have mastered the game!

Seth Cohn

Dec 14, 1993, 2:18:08 AM12/14/93
Well, having beaten the game on Ultraviolent, and having played with
hacked saved games for a bit (still can't find the darn cheat keys.... :( )
I decided to begin the next stage:

Doom time trials!

also known as 'beating par'

I did it succesfully on easy setting (level 1-7, didn't make 9 from 3, an
8 doesn't have a par... )

My brother suggested this: beat the game without saving, and making it
under par every level. I thought this might be a good idea to post.

So Anyone who has beaten the game, try it. I guarantee the heavy breathing
will fit so well, you'll be playing a whole new game.

The hard part is that if you finish one level low, the next will be MUCH
harder... but time is a factor too...

Good luck. Post a cumulative time score (and be prepared to repeat it
with a demo recorder going :)

And those who dare: try playing on harder then easy. No Way could I
do this on Ultraviolent...

id: Who created the times? And are they for easy or hard levels?

Seth

--
Seth Cohn - Warning - I use CAPS to emphasize, not to yell |If you read
email preferred - I consider spelling errors and grammar |RUOW, Honk!

John J Smith

Dec 16, 1993, 7:56:21 AM12/16/93
In article <2ejpbg$1...@fitz.tc.cornell.edu>,

Seth Cohn <se...@alchemy.TN.Cornell.EDU> wrote:
>Doom time trials!
>
>also known as 'beating par'
>
>I did it succesfully on easy setting (level 1-7, didn't make 9 from 3, an
>8 doesn't have a par... )
>
>My brother suggested this: beat the game without saving, and making it
>under par every level. I thought this might be a good idea to post.
>
>So Anyone who has beaten the game, try it. I guarantee the heavy breathing
>will fit so well, you'll be playing a whole new game.
>
>The hard part is that if you finish one level low, the next will be MUCH
>harder... but time is a factor too...
>
>Good luck. Post a cumulative time score (and be prepared to repeat it
>with a demo recorder going :)
>
>And those who dare: try playing on harder then easy. No Way could I
>do this on Ultraviolent...

Par? I've always found the Par times in any Id/Apogee games completely
irrelevant. Not even close! If I ran through wolf3d, full speed, 1st
level shareware game, not killing everyone, I might just make it.
Otherwise (even not searching for secret passages), no chance.

Never could stand anything less than 'Death Incarnate' mode.

>id: Who created the times? And are they for easy or hard levels?

Sounds like on easy. That would explain.

Smid

Shawn D. McPeek

Dec 16, 1993, 6:18:30 PM12/16/93

>Par? I've always found the Par times in any Id/Apogee games completely
>irrelevant. Not even close! If I ran through wolf3d, full speed, 1st
>level shareware game, not killing everyone, I might just make it.
>Otherwise (even not searching for secret passages), no chance.

>Never could stand anything less than 'Death Incarnate' mode.

>>id: Who created the times? And are they for easy or hard levels?

>Sounds like on easy. That would explain.

> Smid

Uh, if you ran through Wolf, your time would be at least 15-20% lower than par.
I was able to play the entire first episode on D.I. and easily made it under
par on every floor. I think my total time for the entire mission was 9:50
and I think par was around 11:30 or so. I have no doubt that the par times
are not par, but are still easy to get after one gets good at the game. I
would say that getting par on every floor would be a reasonable challenge,
at first.

Shawn

andyb

Dec 16, 1993, 3:34:21 PM12/16/93
>Par? I've always found the Par times in any Id/Apogee games completely
>irrelevant. Not even close! If I ran through wolf3d, full speed, 1st level
>shareware game, not killing everyone, I might just make it. Otherwise
>(even not searching for secret passages), no chance.

Well, just for an idea: on level one I made a speed run straight for the
exit. Didn't stop to shoot anyone or pick up anything. Just barely made
it at 6% health by the way... Total time was 17 seconds. Par was 30.
Way too low.

Gordon Shephard

Dec 16, 1993, 11:21:04 PM12/16/93
dis...@carson.u.washington.edu (andyb) writes:

>Well, just for an idea: on level one I made a speed run straight for the
>exit. Didn't stop to shoot anyone or pick up anything. Just barely made
>it at 6% health by the way... Total time was 17 seconds. Par was 30.
>Way too low.

Well, I just watched someone (On ultraviolent, of course), make it through
level one in 15 seconds.

Two Hints:
One: SHIFT+RUN+Dodge everything, but SHOOT the first guy with a shot
gun in the room with the two flame throwing imps. Grab his
Shotgun, and use it to clear a way through the path and final
room. In particular, use the shotgun to blow away the imp
and soldier in the final room.

Second: Ignore the Imp in the Exit, just go for the switch.

Note, rumour has it that you can go through this faster if you have
a faster machine. So a 486/66 may have been an unfair advantage. :)

ronald stephen jr kundla

Dec 17, 1993, 1:20:12 PM12/17/93
In article <shephard....@sfu.ca> shep...@fraser.sfu.ca (Gordon Shephard) writes:
>Note, rumour has it that you can go through this faster if you have
>a faster machine. So a 486/66 may have been an unfair advantage. :)

When I play DOOM on my Windows for Workgroups setup at my fraternity house, I
have a 486 DX2/66 and everyone complains that my guy runs the fastest of the
lot, which contain another 486/66, a 486/33 and a 386/40...

I really don't know why it does it. I don't mind though. It allows me to pick
up all the goodies first :) But, I get going really fast and miss alot of the
quick turns you got to make (Like the flashing room with all the invisible
creatures in it) :(

Ron
--
-- --
Ron Kundla - Computer/Information Science Major - The Ohio State University

Jonathan Graham

Dec 20, 1993, 3:24:36 PM12/20/93
>In article <2ejpbg$1...@fitz.tc.cornell.edu>,
>Seth Cohn <se...@alchemy.TN.Cornell.EDU> wrote:
>>Doom time trials!
>>

>>My brother suggested this: beat the game without saving, and making it
>>under par every level. I thought this might be a good idea to post.
>>
>>So Anyone who has beaten the game, try it. I guarantee the heavy breathing
>>will fit so well, you'll be playing a whole new game.
>>
>>The hard part is that if you finish one level low, the next will be MUCH
>>harder... but time is a factor too...
>>
>>Good luck. Post a cumulative time score (and be prepared to repeat it
>>with a demo recorder going :)
>>
>>And those who dare: try playing on harder then easy. No Way could I
>>do this on Ultraviolent...

Yes, I finished Doom on Ultraviolent without saving the Sunday
(2 days) after it was released. This has made me look for more
challenging ways of playing it. I did do level 1 ultraviolent in 28 seconds
but I only had like 15% health at the end...

Try this: doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record doomfilm

And be prepared to upload you film. I have come very close, but every time
I jump down into the slim in front of the exit button the game dies and
dumps me to DOS... Hmmm. My friends and I call the above playing a level
"legit". It's always the sames (ultraviolent) and we try different levels;
try out level 4 also (-wart 1 4).

Any other ideas on making doom more difficult?

-Jonathan

|Jonathan Graham|Computer Science|University of Montana|ant...@selway.umt.edu|

Jonathan Graham

Dec 20, 1993, 3:26:55 PM12/20/93
In article <2eqgod$i...@news.u.washington.edu>,

andyb <dis...@carson.u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>Par? I've always found the Par times in any Id/Apogee games completely
>
>Well, just for an idea: on level one I made a speed run straight for the
>exit. Didn't stop to shoot anyone or pick up anything. Just barely made
>it at 6% health by the way... Total time was 17 seconds. Par was 30.
>Way too low.

Was this on Ultraviolent. I attempted it on UViolent and got thru
with some shooting in 28 seconds with around 15% health. I would imagine
some improvement could be made on this.

Mike Llewellyn

Dec 20, 1993, 6:36:47 PM12/20/93
In article <1993Dec20....@selway.umt.edu> ant...@selway.umt.edu
(Jonathan Graham) writes:
> Yes, I finished Doom on Ultraviolent without saving the Sunday
> (2 days) after it was released. This has made me look for more
> challenging ways of playing it. I did do level 1 ultraviolent in 28 seconds
> but I only had like 15% health at the end...
>
> Try this: doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record doomfilm
>
> And be prepared to upload you film. I have come very close, but every time
> I jump down into the slim in front of the exit button the game dies and
> dumps me to DOS... Hmmm. My friends and I call the above playing a level
> "legit". It's always the sames (ultraviolent) and we try different levels;
> try out level 4 also (-wart 1 4).
>
> Any other ideas on making doom more difficult?
>
> -Jonathan

Whats this devparm stuff? Is it part of Doom?

I finished Doom (UV) on the same Sunday, in about 2-3 hrs (did spend time
trying to find secrets after clearing each level, until got bored). I saved it
at the begginning of each level, just in case (wouldn't want to play all the
shit levels again!), and had to reload a few times on the last couple of
levels. It's a great game, but I felt sort of disappointed (and hollow for some
reason - probably the endless massacre had got to me ;) ) at the end, as I
expected a bigger ending.

I haven't played it since then, as it seriously disrupts work ;-) , but am
interested in making it harder. I thought maybe starting each level with the
pistol, or would that make the later levels too difficult?

May have a quick go at this later tonight, will post any results ...

Oh, I never seem to find more than 75% of the secrets, has anyone found more on
all levels?

<mi...@xexos.com> : Xexos (London) Ltd. : Tel. 071 237 4535 : Fax. 071 231 0844

Mike Llewellyn

Dec 20, 1993, 9:21:41 PM12/20/93
In article <1993Dec20....@xexos.com> mi...@xexos.com (Mike Llewellyn)
writes:

> In article <1993Dec20....@selway.umt.edu> ant...@selway.umt.edu
> (Jonathan Graham) writes:
> > Yes, I finished Doom on Ultraviolent without saving the Sunday
> > (2 days) after it was released. This has made me look for more
> > challenging ways of playing it. I did do level 1 ultraviolent in 28
seconds
> > but I only had like 15% health at the end...
> >
> > Try this: doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record doomfilm
> >
> > And be prepared to upload you film. I have come very close, but every time
> > I jump down into the slim in front of the exit button the game dies and
> > dumps me to DOS... Hmmm. My friends and I call the above playing a level
> > "legit". It's always the sames (ultraviolent) and we try different levels;
> > try out level 4 also (-wart 1 4).
> >
> > Any other ideas on making doom more difficult?
> >
> > -Jonathan

> [blurb deleted]

> May have a quick go at this later tonight, will post any results ...
>
> Oh, I never seem to find more than 75% of the secrets, has anyone found more
on
> all levels?

Well, just had a go on doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4

Phew!

That is one fucker of a level! Just blood everywhere!
Completed with saving, but to do without saving would require a lot of
preparation, I think, like must practice the level and have complete knowledge
of the map, then maybe plot a careful route to optimise ammo use, as a big prob
was not enough amm (which really adds to combat, up to the stage when you have
just one rocket left and three various monsters after you, and no ammo to be
seen anywhere ... death horribly!)

Can someone tell me how to play back a film please?

Mike

Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 1993, 7:57:38 AM12/21/93
>> Yes, I finished Doom on Ultraviolent without saving the Sunday
>> (2 days) after it was released. This has made me look for more
>> challenging ways of playing it. I did do level 1 ultraviolent in 28 seconds
>> but I only had like 15% health at the end...
>> Try this: doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record doomfilm
>> And be prepared to upload you film. I have come very close, but every time
>> I jump down into the slim in front of the exit button the game dies and
>> dumps me to DOS... Hmmm. My friends and I call the above playing a level
>> "legit". It's always the sames (ultraviolent) and we try different levels;
>> try out level 4 also (-wart 1 4).
>> Any other ideas on making doom more difficult?
>Whats this devparm stuff? Is it part of Doom?
Yup, it lets you warp to a particular level and record your game so that others
can see it.

>I finished Doom (UV) on the same Sunday, in about 2-3 hrs (did spend time
>trying to find secrets after clearing each level, until got bored). I saved it
>at the begginning of each level, just in case (wouldn't want to play all the
>shit levels again!), and had to reload a few times on the last couple of
>levels.It's a great game, but I felt sort of disappointed (and hollow for some
>reason - probably the endless massacre had got to me ;) ) at the end, as I
>expected a bigger ending.
>I haven't played it since then, as it seriously disrupts work ;-) , but am
>interested in making it harder. I thought maybe starting each level with the
>pistol, or would that make the later levels too difficult?
Done it, check out my uuencoded demo file I posted a little while back.
Level 8 UV. Pistol. To play it, type: doom -devparm -playdemo crazy

Witness the carnage. Witness the mayhem.

Mark

Message has been deleted

David Pugh

Dec 22, 1993, 1:59:45 PM12/22/93
In article <21DEC199...@pavo.concordia.ca>,
Michael Houston <mp_...@pavo.concordia.ca> wrote:
>In article <1993Dec20....@selway.umt.edu>, ant...@selway.umt.edu (Jonathan Graham) writes...

>> Try this: doom -devparm -wart 1 9 -skill 4 -record doomfilm

Hmmm ... what are all the unpublished command line parameters for doom
(and any hidden game commands)?
--
.. He was determined to discover the David Pugh
underlying logic behind the universe. ...!seismo!cmucs!dep