Rendition verite VS 3DFX Voodo

Lami

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

I'm thinking of getting a 3d card this Xmas(i was going to get a pp200,but i don't have enough money)!
Should i get a creative 3d blaster PCI,orchid R3d,or the sierra one(all verite)?? Or a monster 3D card(it's the only Voodo card as far as i can remember,but i think there's another one)??? Or wait until i can buy a pp200 or a MMX CPU????

my system: P90,24mb ram,win95,CL5430 w/ 1mb(CRAP)

I would love to have a card with a good performance in either DOS and Win95(normal menus and directX), I love both quake and Tomb raider(will a rendition verite patch be avaiable for it????)

Which games will be/are avaiable for the card you recommend????

Which games/Programs come packaged with it???

Thanks for your help!

Pedro Lami aka Mulder
"And a lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly told between two truths"
Deep Throat, in 'The X-files'

Sammy Fischer

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <01bbe3e0$f5646f00$b7c7f6ce@mechhome>, "August Branchesi" <mu...@visi.net> wrote:
>I beg to differ...It's quite fast actually. At least my REACTOR is...
>
>------
>August Branchesi
>Systems Programmer / Apex Mrsketing Group
>http://members.visi.net/~muja
>

>Wodan <ro...@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de> wrote in article
>> Sorry but the 2D-part of the Rendition isn't fast at all !
>>
>> So the only chance to get a real increase for your money is a Voodoo !

And so is the 2D part of my 3dBlaster, as long as games don't use a special
resolution. (I think it's standard VGA 320x200 8bit, but I'm not sure). Every
other resolution runs as fast as 'standard' S-VGA cards. (w\ Tseng4000 Chipset
for example)
The 3D Part is very fast. I know the voodoo chipset is faster, thank you very
much. Still, I'm really happy with the performance.

bye,
Sammy

Sa...@cube.net http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4301
PGP key available on request.
"We're all mad here. I'm mad, You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be" said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Message has been deleted

von...@accessone.com

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

"Lami" <ap....@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_01BBE074.AB46E980

>I'm thinking of getting a 3d card this Xmas(i was going to get a pp200,but
>i don't have enough money)!
>Should i get a creative 3d blaster PCI,orchid R3d,or the sierra one(all
>verite)?? Or a monster 3D card(it's the only Voodo card as far as i can
>remember,but i think there's another one)??? Or wait until i can buy a
>pp200 or a MMX CPU????

> my system: P90,24mb ram,win95,CL5430 w/ 1mb(CRAP)

>I would love to have a card with a good performance in either DOS and
>Win95(normal menus and directX), I love both quake and Tomb raider(will a
>rendition verite patch be avaiable for it????)

>Which games will be/are avaiable for the card you recommend????

>Which games/Programs come packaged with it???

>Thanks for your help!

>Pedro Lami aka Mulder

Actually the R3D is a Voodoo card and it outperforms the Monster 3D
according to CGW. I also have a P-90 and the R3D provided the biggest
bang for the buck on my system. The only problem is that right now,
there are not a lot of games available for it. That will change soon
though. However, in you case where your current 2D card is not too
good, one of the Verite cards (2D and 3D) might be the way to go; my
2D card was OK. Hope this helps.
Later,
vonbecker
von...@accessone.com
------------------------------
nil illegitimus sic carborudum

August Branchesi

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

David Ripton

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

In article <32aa525...@news.urz.tu-dresden.de>,

Wodan <ro...@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>>there are not a lot of games available for it. That will change soon
>>though. However, in you case where your current 2D card is not too
>>good, one of the Verite cards (2D and 3D) might be the way to go; my
>>2D card was OK. Hope this helps.

>Sorry but the 2D-part of the Rendition isn't fast at all !

Incorrect.

>So the only chance to get a real increase for your money is a Voodoo !

Incorrect.

Let's not start senselessly bashing cards. There are enough stupid
flamewars out there already.

The Verite cards are fast in VESA DOS, fast in Windows, and fast
in 3D. (They're pathetic in some non-VESA VGA modes.)

They're not the best DOS cards (the ET6000 is) or the best Windows
cards (arguably still the Millennium) or the best pure 3D cards (the
Voodoo cards win there). But they're a good compromise, especially
for $150.

The Voodoo cards are great, but they only do 3D. If you're trying
to build a dream system where money doesn't matter much, then a
Voodoo card alongside a ET6000 or Millennium or Mystique or even
a Verite card is the way to go. But then you're talking about
$400 or $500 worth of graphics cards. Most of the people buying
a Voodoo already have a good 2D card, so it doesn't seem like
that much money, but remember that if you buy a Verite you can
recoup most of the cost by selling your good 2D card.

Sometimes good and cheap is better than great and expensive.

--
David Ripton dri...@netcom.com
Speak softly and carry a big killfile.

Mr. Steven P. Akyuz

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Sammy Fischer wrote on Mon, 02 Dec 96 21:16:46 GMT:
[snip]

> And so is the 2D part of my 3dBlaster, as long as games don't use a
special
> resolution. (I think it's standard VGA 320x200 8bit, but I'm not
sure). Every
> other resolution runs as fast as 'standard' S-VGA cards. (w\
Tseng4000 Chipset
> for example)
> The 3D Part is very fast. I know the voodoo chipset is faster, thank
you very
> much. Still, I'm really happy with the performance.
>
> bye,
> Sammy

As someone else with a 3D Blaster PCI: AGREED. However, you left out
one small detail : the "better speed" of the voodoo chipset versus the
better graphics of a Rendition card, especially 3D Blaster;that's what
made CGW rate 3D Blaster and other Rendition cards higher than similar
cards; better performance does not necessarily mean*slightly* better
speed, per se; it also means you're caughing up $150+ for a card that
is worth the bother, and then some. Many feel 3D Blaster/Rendition is
such a card/technology, including CGW and ID software (if you want an
opinion of 3D games, take it from the guys who started the genre; their
3D patch for Quake is available now only for Rendition cards, and only
in 3D Blaster boxes; meaning in essence that Quake 2, Heretic 2, Hexen,
and so on are guaranteed 3D Blaster-enhanced. Thanks, ID! ;-) ).

For other readers who chose 3Dfx technology: this is not an invitation
for a battle similar to the one nearly a decade ago, over Ad Lib versus
Sound Blaster sound. There was enough room for both cards then and
there's enough room for both 3Dfx *and* Rendition now. However, far be
it from me to not comment on my final choice =) ...

-Steve

Message has been deleted

jimm...@aol.com

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Well im getting the Creative Labs card I read in the mag its the best
3d/2d

Terrence Yee

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Mr. Steven P. Akyuz wrote:

> As someone else with a 3D Blaster PCI: AGREED. However, you left out
>
> one small detail : the "better speed" of the voodoo chipset versus the
>
> better graphics of a Rendition card, especially 3D Blaster

Better graphics? On what? So far Hellbender looks better (and plays
faster) on a Voodoo. Same with Mtm. Any game that runs on the Voodoo &
Verite either looks the same or better on a 3Dfx board. Same goes for
speed.

Secondly, why would the graphics be better on the 3D blaster over other
Verite boards, which is what you're alluding to with your above phrase,
"..especially 3D blaster"?

> ;that's what
>
> made CGW rate 3D Blaster and other Rendition cards higher than similar
>
> cards;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CGW rate the 3Dfx cards the highest
with the Verite cards coming in second?

> For other readers who chose 3Dfx technology: this is not an invitation
>
> for a battle similar to the one nearly a decade ago, over Ad Lib versus
>
> Sound Blaster sound. There was enough room for both cards then and
>
> there's enough room for both 3Dfx *and* Rendition now. However, far be
>
> it from me to not comment on my final choice =) ...

No problem and not much of an argument from me. Just clarification.
Btw, most people interested in the Verite chipset should take a look at
the Intergraph Reactor. It's only $149 (rumored to drop to $99 soon) and
has better customer support than Creatives.

David Ripton

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

In article <32ac9803...@news.cc.columbia.edu>,
Namae <tt...@columbia.edu> wrote:

>, get 3DFX. id admits that they didn't
>recognize 3DFX to become this popular for they speculated the price of
>the cards to be much higher than it actually came up to be when they
>decided to support Rendition.

True. The RAM price crash of 1996 really helped with video
card prices across the board.

>They now realizes that 3DFX is indeed
>more powerful

True. Irrelevant, since id hasn't dropped the Verite-only
port or announced a Voodoo-only port.

>and their glQuake will be only playable on 3DFX Voodoo
>accelerated cards.

No. It's not another stupid proprietary port.

glquake will use OpenGL, a portable 3D API originated by SGI
but used throughout the Unix graphic workstation world and
also supported under Windows NT and recently added to Win95.
3Dfx has announced that they'll be putting out an OpenGL
driver so that Quake-starved Voodoo owners can run glquake.

Supporting OpenGL, like supporting Direct3D, isn't throwing
your weight behind one card. It's writing your game in
such a way that any card, present or future, with decent
driver support can be used with it.

Si

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

dri...@netcom.com (David Ripton) wrote:

>glquake will use OpenGL, a portable 3D API originated by SGI
>but used throughout the Unix graphic workstation world and
>also supported under Windows NT and recently added to Win95.
>3Dfx has announced that they'll be putting out an OpenGL
>driver so that Quake-starved Voodoo owners can run glquake.

>Supporting OpenGL, like supporting Direct3D, isn't throwing
>your weight behind one card. It's writing your game in
>such a way that any card, present or future, with decent
>driver support can be used with it.

This is all true, although hasn't John Carmack stated that the Voodoo
is the only PC card with a high enough fill-rate to run GLQuake as
smooth as we all want?
/si

Message has been deleted