Sierra's Opinion on Half-Life OEM

Sean Jordan--> eXscape

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
Hi guys,

I noticed there was a lot of mixed feelings about the Half-Life OEM. In
fact, I contacted Sierra to obtain a preview copy of the OEM and they has
this to say:

>"I am so pleased you are getting as excited about Half-Life as we >are.
Unfortunately, because of the pirates who have posted the >OEM demo on the
Internet, we are shutting down sending this thing >to anyone else. Our
attorneys are now involved because posting it >is in strict violation of our
contract with the OEM manufacturers. We >should have gold by next month and
we'll get you that asap.

>Sorry, Sean! I wish there weren't so many distrustful "journalists" >out
there."

I do know someone who was able to get a legal (?) copy of the OEM and have
seen it. It's simply incredible and I feel that Sierra should release some
sort of demo, but I know why they can't - the storyline is simply so crucial
to the game that taking out the beginning sequence (which plays out like
movie credits) would ruin the experience.

Just thought you mind find this interesting.

-Sean Jordan
Editor-in-Chief
eXscape (http://www.exscape.com)
"Your eXtreme source for Gaming Info"
Email: ll...@exscape.com

Robin Sequira

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
Damn, I was depending on the demo to help me decide whether or not to get
it... guess not then.

--
"It says 'Spinach' on the outside, but we all know it's whoop-ass!"
-Me, on Popeye

Jeff Jones

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98

>>Sorry, Sean! I wish there weren't so many distrustful "journalists" >out
>there."

Uhh, the OEM was first posted in *Russia* .. what are they going to do? file
an international lawsuit against some 15 yr old Ruskie hacks? That oughta be
comical.

Christopher A Tew

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:36:47 -0500, "Sean Jordan--> eXscape"
<ll...@exscape.com> laid the smack down and jacked some shit up:

>I do know someone who was able to get a legal (?) copy of the OEM and have
>seen it. It's simply incredible and I feel that Sierra should release some
>sort of demo, but I know why they can't - the storyline is simply so crucial
>to the game that taking out the beginning sequence (which plays out like
>movie credits) would ruin the experience.

Two things:

1) They don't release a demo, I don't buy. There are very few games
that I'll buy sight unseen. Maybe one every year.
2) If the opening sequence overshadows the game itself, then why
bother with the game at all? This is pretty much what happened with
Wing Commander 3 and 4.

-CT

--
Defending the universe from the evil of wack MCs,
The man known as Cat has said his piece.

Cota Wyrmheart

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
They were basically floored. I dont even care much for shooters, but I'll
consider buying this one.

-Cota

!

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 06:19:08 GMT, tik...@nospam.lvdi.net (Christopher
A Tew) wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:36:47 -0500, "Sean Jordan--> eXscape"
><ll...@exscape.com> laid the smack down and jacked some shit up:
>
>>I do know someone who was able to get a legal (?) copy of the OEM and have
>>seen it. It's simply incredible and I feel that Sierra should release some
>>sort of demo, but I know why they can't - the storyline is simply so crucial
>>to the game that taking out the beginning sequence (which plays out like
>>movie credits) would ruin the experience.
>
>Two things:
>
>1) They don't release a demo, I don't buy. There are very few games
>that I'll buy sight unseen. Maybe one every year.
>2) If the opening sequence overshadows the game itself, then why
>bother with the game at all? This is pretty much what happened with
>Wing Commander 3 and 4.

I played the OEM version last night, and after having seen how
important the story line is to the game, I can understand how it would
be difficult to deliver a demo that would give you the full sense of
what this game is. Working for a game development team myself I'm very
picky about what I consider a good game and Half-Life is quite
simply... AWESOME. Its like living out a movie... My Congradulations
to valve, you guys did one kick ass job, and will be getting my money
the second this game hits the shelves!

Ladd

Sam Schlansky

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
That doesn't make too much sense...

1) If a game company releases a demo, and I like the demo, I buy the game.
2) If they don't release a demo, I wait for reviews on game sites and
especially Usenet. If the reviews are favorable, I buy the game.

You don't _need_ a demo! I guarantee that zillions of people will buy
Half-Life the first second it's on shelves, and you'll have zillions of
reviews to choose from.

Sure, demos are nice (something for nothing, right?) but they aren't
everything.

Sam

In article <36089265....@news.lvdi.net>, tik...@nospam.lvdi.net

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| PGP Key ID: 0x63A9D707

Krud

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Sean Jordan--> eXscape wrote in message <6u9j1b$m39$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...

>I do know someone who was able to get a legal (?) copy of the OEM and have
>seen it. It's simply incredible and I feel that Sierra should release some
>sort of demo, but I know why they can't - the storyline is simply so crucial
>to the game that taking out the beginning sequence (which plays out like
>movie credits) would ruin the experience.

Thanks for posting that, but I think Sierra is full of it. Releasing a one
level demo would give people a taste of what the game is like. I don't see
how it would ruin the experience. They're not releasing a demo because
there's nothing in it for them, and because they know that the hype level is
so high that people will buy the game without seeing a demo. It's the same
old Sierra....

-Krud

Krud

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
! wrote in message <3608a8e9....@news.mindspring.com>...

>I played the OEM version last night, and after having seen how
>important the story line is to the game, I can understand how it would
>be difficult to deliver a demo that would give you the full sense of
>what this game is.

How about a demo that would give us a taste of the technology and the graphics
and the weapons, etc..... I still say that the reason there is no demo is
because they would have to take people off the development team to make the
demo and that would cost them money, as opposed to an OEM version which will
make them money. Valve may be a great company but Sierra still sucks.

-Krud

Rico Suave

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

Sam Schlansky wrote in message ...

>That doesn't make too much sense...
>
>1) If a game company releases a demo, and I like the demo, I buy the game.
>2) If they don't release a demo, I wait for reviews on game sites and
>especially Usenet. If the reviews are favorable, I buy the game.
>
>You don't _need_ a demo! I guarantee that zillions of people will buy
>Half-Life the first second it's on shelves, and you'll have zillions of
>reviews to choose from.
>
>Sure, demos are nice (something for nothing, right?) but they aren't
>everything.

I agree with the first guy - reviews are nice, but more often than not
they're not accurate (at least for me) - a demo is a perfect indicator if I
want to buy a game or not... If I don't finish the demo, I don't get the
game.

PBC

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

Sam Schlansky wrote in message ...
>That doesn't make too much sense...
>
>1) If a game company releases a demo, and I like the demo, I buy the game.
>2) If they don't release a demo, I wait for reviews on game sites and
>especially Usenet. If the reviews are favorable, I buy the game.
>
>You don't _need_ a demo! I guarantee that zillions of people will buy
>Half-Life the first second it's on shelves, and you'll have zillions of
>reviews to choose from.

Pardon me for saying that the above statement is crap. Maybe Sierra doesn't
need to give out a demo to get sales, but I need a demo to find out how well
it's going to work on my machine. If I didn't get the Rainbow 6 demo, I
never would have known that the graphics go blotchy with my Voodoo 1 card.
If you are inclined to say that Quake 2 should suffice as a demo of the
engine, I would have to point out that the Ground Zero mission pack for
Quake 2 is different enough to cause strange blurring while straffing with
some 3-D cards. Haven't you have ever been in the situation of trying to
return a game to some store with a "no-opened-return" policy before? The
clerk doesn't care that you can't get it running right, and you have to
either talk a good game or consider an immediate upgrade.

Sierra could easily make up a demo that shows of the mechanics of the game
without giving up any of their precious story. I have to say though, the
idea of the story being so crucial to the game, puts me off a bit. If it's
really a great game, why is the story so important? This is an action game,
right?

P. Conrad

bp

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:20:45 -0400, "PBC" <p_Xc...@Xsmma.com> wrote:

>Sam Schlansky wrote in message ...
>>That doesn't make too much sense...
>>
>>1) If a game company releases a demo, and I like the demo, I buy the game.
>>2) If they don't release a demo, I wait for reviews on game sites and
>>especially Usenet. If the reviews are favorable, I buy the game.
>>
>>You don't _need_ a demo! I guarantee that zillions of people will buy
>>Half-Life the first second it's on shelves, and you'll have zillions of
>>reviews to choose from.
>>

>Pardon me for saying that the above statement is crap. Maybe Sierra doesn't
>need to give out a demo to get sales, but I need a demo to find out how well
>it's going to work on my machine. If I didn't get the Rainbow 6 demo, I
>never would have known that the graphics go blotchy with my Voodoo 1 card.

??? They aren't blotchy on my VD1. What do you mean by blotchy ?

>If you are inclined to say that Quake 2 should suffice as a demo of the
>engine, I would have to point out that the Ground Zero mission pack for
>Quake 2 is different enough to cause strange blurring while straffing with
>some 3-D cards.

Might want to check you 3d card ;) BTW how the hell do you get pas the
first Fu*king level ?

> Haven't you have ever been in the situation of trying to
>return a game to some store with a "no-opened-return" policy before?

Hey don't buy there.

BrianW

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
For those who just will not buy a game without seeing a demo. I think I read
a post or something from Valve about the possibility of doing a demo, but not
until AFTER the full version is released. And if you still can not wait
that long then either :buy another game, check out an in-store
demo (if one is availble after the full is out) , or ...(insert activity here).
I would probably bet that there will be some sort of demo after they finish
the full version. Nothing says you have to get a game the day it comes out.
It will still be around for months to come once it is on shelfs

BW

Destroy - Derek Struye

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Well, guess I'll be buying it at a store where I can return it. Demos
are an ABSOLUTE MUST with me. I just demo the full for a while then.
:)

Dave Trenkner

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

Krud wrote in message

>Thanks for posting that, but I think Sierra is full of it. Releasing a one
>level demo would give people a taste of what the game is like. I don't see
>how it would ruin the experience. They're not releasing a demo because
>there's nothing in it for them, and because they know that the hype level
is
>so high that people will buy the game without seeing a demo. It's the same
>old Sierra....

How could they release one level? The whole OEM is basically one level made
up of 30 small sections which you run between. Anyhow i'm buying Half-life
regardless without even taking a second thought...i would have pre-OEM
probably anyway. People say they won't buy the game without a demo, but
when they hear all the praise HL is getting they won't be able to resist and
if they do...their loss, not mine...

Dave

joelm...@geocities.com

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
In article <6u9j1b$m39$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

"Sean Jordan--> eXscape" <ll...@exscape.com> wrote:

> >"I am so pleased you are getting as excited about Half-Life as we >are.
> Unfortunately, because of the pirates who have posted the >OEM demo on the
> Internet, we are shutting down sending this thing >to anyone else. Our
> attorneys are now involved because posting it >is in strict violation of our
> contract with the OEM manufacturers. We >should have gold by next month and
> we'll get you that asap.

You know, this implies to me that they tagged the CD's they sent out
somehow. Of course, if the pirate version out there came straight from
a pressing play, then there's not much they can do. But if it did
come from a game news site, then I for one would like to know who it was.

Joel Mathis

joelm...@geocities.com

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
In article <6u9qjk$vel$1...@camel15.mindspring.com>,

Some looser announced it was in one of the warez groups here about four
days before the Russians announced it.

joelm...@geocities.com

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
In article <6uasho$c...@news-central.tiac.net>,

"PBC" <p_Xc...@Xsmma.com> wrote:
> If it's
> really a great game, why is the story so important? This is an action game,
> right?

From where I'm standing, the story is a major part of what makes a great
game. Some of us hate the shooting of monsters in twisty, little
passages, all alike.

Joel Mathis

...HEY, that's it! Quake is really Zork with 3D graphics, no puzzles,
less interesting enviroment, more monsters, all combat, no interaction...
Maybe not.

Chris J. Randolph

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

I don't know, I've never really been done wrong by reviews. Then again, I
always read reviews from at least two different sources (kind of judging a game
by triangulation). I haven't gotten one I wanted to return yet. Each to
his/her own, though...

-Chris

Paul Nicholson

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

>Sierra could easily make up a demo that shows of the mechanics of the game
>without giving up any of their precious story. I have to say though, the

>idea of the story being so crucial to the game, puts me off a bit. If it's

>really a great game, why is the story so important? This is an action
game,
>right?
>

>P. Conrad
You make a good point abou the importance of knowing whether or not the game
will work on your machine. For this reason, I think, it is okay to ask that
Valve release a demo, which according to the news I read, they are still
oging to, just after the full version is released. However, your second
point is, in your words "crap". I have played the OEM version of half Life
(obtained it legally) and have to say that the story adds to the game
immensly. Sure, the action is good, in fact in pure action terms it's as
good as anything out there, but there is so much more that is added by the
addition of a good plot, and compelling storytelling. I love id games, but
you have to admit that the backstories are pretty weak. However, they are
able to overcome this with pure visceral action that makes you forget about
the story, Half Life is different. The action is there, but it is there
for a reson, it arises naturally from the story, and for that reason Half
Life looks to be a great game.

paul lacy

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
BrianW (br...@pen.net) wrote:
: For those who just will not buy a game without seeing a demo. I think I read

: a post or something from Valve about the possibility of doing a demo, but not
: until AFTER the full version is released. And if you still can not wait

: that long then either :buy another game, check out an in-store
: demo (if one is availble after the full is out) , or ...(insert activity here).
: I would probably bet that there will be some sort of demo after they finish
: the full version. Nothing says you have to get a game the day it comes out.
: It will still be around for months to come once it is on shelfs

: BW

Plus I believe Sierra offers a 30 day money-back guarantee with their
games ... you need to send in the receipt and the game (so it does
cost you a little) and a short explanation of why you're not happy
with it (rude comments probably don't earn you extra points though).
I sent 2 games back, Outpost and another I can't remember now,
and received a pretty prompt refund check (within 2 weeks I think).

Since they've been taken over I'm not sure if this offer still applies.

Paul

Ajaipal Tanwar

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
In article <6ubt3n$dqh$1...@nntp2.ba.best.com>,

Actually, I agree you need two reviews. One good and one bad. That way you
get both side and decide who is right and who is full of crap :-)

My personal favorite evaluation method is still the EB method. Buy, and if
you don't like it, return it and get something else.
--
Ajaipal Tanwar, University of Texas at Austin

Ajaipal Tanwar

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
In article <6ubvlp$gou$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

<joelm...@geocities.com> wrote:
>...HEY, that's it! Quake is really Zork with 3D graphics, no puzzles,
>less interesting enviroment, more monsters, all combat, no interaction...
>Maybe not.

And a mouse interface instead of a text parser. :-)

Jeff Jones

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

>My personal favorite evaluation method is still the EB method. Buy, and if
>you don't like it, return it and get something else.

Enjoy that method while it lasts. It's days are numbered.

Was: 30 day return policy

then: 10 day return policy

now: 10 day policy, in some stores, at the manager's discretion in all
stores.

Jeff Jones

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

>Plus I believe Sierra offers a 30 day money-back guarantee with their
>games ... you need to send in the receipt and the game (so it does
>cost you a little) and a short explanation of why you're not happy
>with it (rude comments probably don't earn you extra points though).
>I sent 2 games back, Outpost and another I can't remember now,
>and received a pretty prompt refund check (within 2 weeks I think).

Excellent point. Sierra gets knocked around a lot, but they still offer that
money-back guarantee. Microsoft does too. I've never sent anything to
Sierra, but I did to MS and from the day I sent my stuff, I had a check 12
days later.

Christopher A Tew

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
A detail on the Timewave said that on 23 Sep 1998 04:23:02 -0500,
s...@deletethis.operation3d.com (Sam Schlansky) would say:

>That doesn't make too much sense...
>
>1) If a game company releases a demo, and I like the demo, I buy the game.
>2) If they don't release a demo, I wait for reviews on game sites and
>especially Usenet. If the reviews are favorable, I buy the game.

The problem with reviews is that the reviewer doesn't necessarily have
the same taste in games that I do. In some cases, however, Usenet
reviews will suffice. For me, they will with hardcore flight sims.

Most of the time, a demo is *the* make or break variable in my
decision of whether to buy a game. I won't usually even try a demo
until it or the game it's for has positive reviews on Usenet or the
WWW.

Now, when there's a forthcoming game that I absolutely *must* play,
like Fallout 2 or System Shock 2, I won't even wait for reviews.
However, those games are the ones that, good or bad, I'd be kicking
myself for not trying. :-) Those games are also quite rare.

>You don't _need_ a demo! I guarantee that zillions of people will buy
>Half-Life the first second it's on shelves, and you'll have zillions of
>reviews to choose from.

I'm sure that many people will get Half-life based on reviews or
whatever. I'm not going to be one of them. The last three games that
I bought on the strength of reviews w/o trying a demo: Unreal, F-15,
Starcraft. The only one I still play: F-15. I probably would have
bought Starcraft regardless of demo, because demos don't address the
replayability of a game. I got Unreal for $25, so I don't feel too
bad about the almost complete lack of interesting gameplay...

>Sure, demos are nice (something for nothing, right?) but they aren't
>everything.

Of course not, but they are certainly necessary for me in most cases.
That's all I was saying. :-)

Christopher A Tew

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
A detail on the Timewave said that on Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:23:55 -0500,
"Dave Trenkner" <davetr...@mindspring.com> would say:

>How could they release one level? The whole OEM is basically one level made
>up of 30 small sections which you run between.

Then they can release a demo made up of a few of the sections, with it
ending at some plot point or another.

> Anyhow i'm buying Half-life
>regardless without even taking a second thought...i would have pre-OEM
>probably anyway. People say they won't buy the game without a demo, but
>when they hear all the praise HL is getting they won't be able to resist and
>if they do...their loss, not mine...

Hell, the less time I spend playing games, the more time I gain for
doing other stuff. Like, uh, staring at walls. ;-)

bp

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:01:00 GMT, pl-de...@execpc.com (Destroy -
Derek Struye) wrote:

>Well, guess I'll be buying it at a store where I can return it. Demos
>are an ABSOLUTE MUST with me. I just demo the full for a while then.
>:)

The only problems with demos is they usually leave the buggy parts
out.

>>Thanks for posting that, but I think Sierra is full of it. Releasing a one
>>level demo would give people a taste of what the game is like. I don't see
>>how it would ruin the experience. They're not releasing a demo because
>>there's nothing in it for them, and because they know that the hype level is
>>so high that people will buy the game without seeing a demo. It's the same
>>old Sierra....
>>

>>-Krud

Capt. Tripps

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
Sean Jordan--> eXscape wrote:

[snip]

> I do know someone who was able to get a legal (?) copy of the OEM and have
> seen it. It's simply incredible and I feel that Sierra should release some
> sort of demo, but I know why they can't - the storyline is simply so crucial
> to the game that taking out the beginning sequence (which plays out like
> movie credits) would ruin the experience.

Yes. This way everyone does not have to release a demo to cover up a
piece of crap, by saying: "Hey man, we don't release a demo coz it would
be giving the storyline away". This is a bit mangled logic isn't it..if
the storyline is as good as they say, I'll buy the game coz I want to
finish it.
They act like we're going to see the definite proof that God exists or
something.

It seems Shogo has a good storyline as well (besides being a kick-ass
multiplayer game, see http://www.planetquake.com/reviews/shogopg1.shtm,
Monolith came down to Beatdown with a copy for a review) but they intend
on bringing a demo out.

I guess Sierra lost another sale here. I don't trust reviews anymore as
well.

L8ez

Hendrik Mans

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360B8DF2...@speed.a2000.nl>, J.A....@speed.a2000.nl
says...

> It seems Shogo has a good storyline as well (besides being a kick-ass
> multiplayer game, see http://www.planetquake.com/reviews/shogopg1.shtm,

...then...

> I guess Sierra lost another sale here. I don't trust reviews anymore as
> well.

Make up your mind.

Take care,
Hendrik

--
Hendrik Mans [mo...@unreal.org / ICQ #4818318]
irc.gameslink.net #gamers

northcan...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Why does the MX200 cost $149.99 when the brand new, not yet realesed, MX300
will only cost $99? The MX300 uses the Vortex chip, so is this better than
the chip in the MX200? What I'm basically saying is should I wait until
October 31 to get the MX300 or spend an extra $50 now and posibly get less in
the long run?

Syed Noman Ahmad

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
In article <6umhm8$net$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

<northcan...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>Why does the MX200 cost $149.99 when the brand new, not yet realesed, MX300
>will only cost $99?

MX200 is down ffrom 149.99$ AFAIK. As for why it cost more than
other A3D cards...

* Pretty cool MIDI (Roland patch)
* Four speaker support
* Uses its own DSP which is less reliant on CPU compared to
Vortex. However, this is not a big issue, in my experience.
* S/PDIF digital output.

Now for MX300, you get four speaker support and it's supposed
to have great MIDI, plus DirectMusic/DLS capability (that no
other sound card has offered yet)

So why is it cheaper ?

Well, it doesn't have S/PDIF digital out. You 'll have to buy
an upgrade module to get that (just like SB Value Live)
It's also based on Vortex 2.

> The MX300 uses the Vortex chip, so is this better than
>the chip in the MX200?

Correction, MX300 uses Vortex 2, which along with A3D 2.0
can give you some great environmental effects like reflections,
reverbs etc.

> What I'm basically saying is should I wait until
>October 31 to get the MX300 or spend an extra $50 now and posibly get less in
>the long run?

I think you should wait for MX300. You can always buy upgrade
module to get digital out. You'll get few additional things too..
* Dolby Digital support
* DLS/DirectMusic
* Of course it'd be A3D 2.0 compliant.

Aureal 'll release drivers that 'd allow current Vortex 1.0
owners to run A3D 2.0 (except the reflections part). I don't
know that how the DSP in MX200 will adapt to these upgrades.
--
Noman

Greg McPherson

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
In article <MPG.1077a711...@news.supernews.com>, mo...@unreal.org
(Hendrik Mans) wrote:

> In article <360B8DF2...@speed.a2000.nl>, J.A....@speed.a2000.nl
> says...
> > It seems Shogo has a good storyline as well (besides being a kick-ass
> > multiplayer game, see http://www.planetquake.com/reviews/shogopg1.shtm,
>

> Make up your mind.
>
> Take care,
> Hendrik

I'm looking forward to Shogo too, but considering PlanetQuake is also
putting up PlanetShogo, I'd say the site's a little biased. Expect PQ to
sell itself and it's advertisers in the disguise of news and reviews now
and again. All commercial magazines, newspapers and web sites do it.

Point me to a more independent and critical review....

Greg

Dan Bongard

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Christopher A Tew (tik...@nospam.lvdi.net) wrote:

: Two things:

: 1) They don't release a demo, I don't buy. There are very few games
: that I'll buy sight unseen. Maybe one every year.

Why not this one? :)

: 2) If the opening sequence overshadows the game itself, then why
: bother with the game at all? This is pretty much what happened with
: Wing Commander 3 and 4.

The opening sequence doesn't "overshadow" the game; the opening
sequence is necessary to appreciation of the game, because it
_isn't_ just a "shoot everything that moves" 3d shooter.

-- Dan

Reb Ruster

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
<ll...@exscape.com> wrote:

>>"I am so pleased you are getting as excited about Half-Life as we >are.
>Unfortunately, because of the pirates who have posted the >OEM demo on the
>Internet, we are shutting down sending this thing >to anyone else. Our
>attorneys are now involved because posting it >is in strict violation of our
>contract with the OEM manufacturers. We >should have gold by next month and
>we'll get you that asap.

Actually, Sierra is so greedy that they want to grab as much royalty
from the hardware manufacturers as possible before going gold.
They could put the demo up for PD, but they are just being tight-assed
about it.

Sam Schlansky

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
I totally agree with you that they should have done a demo, but what you have
to realize is that these OEM deals are _incredibly_ lucrative-- a significant
percentage of the revenue from the game will come from them. Valve had a
committment to provide the OEM code at a certain time, and if they broke it
they'd be pretty much screwed.

Now, of course, one would think that it'd be fairly easy to cut the OEM code
in, maybe, a third.... and release THAT to the 'net. I can only assume that
there's some reason they haven't done so.

Calling a company greedy is really naive; EVERYBODY wants to make money.
Releasing a demo makes sense in more ways than one, and I'm sure that they'll
do everything they can to get one to us ASAFP. Hopefully.

Besides, I'm gonna buy HL anyway, and so are you. And they know it. :)

Sam

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| PGP Key ID: 0x63A9D707
/| Operation3D.com: A New Perspective on a 3D world
/| MyDesktop Network: Technology Information at your Fingertips
/| Operation 3Dfx: Your Source for 3Dfx Gaming News, Reviews, and Interviews.
/| Remove "deletethis" to email.

Guy Under The Bridge (the_supergenius@hotmail.com)

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
On 4 Oct 1998 05:28:04 -0500, s...@deletethis.operation3d.com (Sam
Schlansky) wrote:

>Calling a company greedy is really naive; EVERYBODY wants to make money.
>Releasing a demo makes sense in more ways than one, and I'm sure that they'll
>do everything they can to get one to us ASAFP. Hopefully.

This is what's wrong with America today. Everyone wants to make money,
and some of them seem to want to ignore the ethical standards of trade
to do so.

The OEM is NOT a game, it is a DEMO. Sierra is *SELLING A DEMO*. It's
unfortunate the little gaming companies like Valve have to hook up
with corporations that conduct themselves like this.

Dan Abbott

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
"Guy Under The Bridge (the_sup...@hotmail.com)" wrote:

> On 4 Oct 1998 05:28:04 -0500, s...@deletethis.operation3d.com (Sam
> Schlansky) wrote:
>
> >Calling a company greedy is really naive; EVERYBODY wants to make money.
> >Releasing a demo makes sense in more ways than one, and I'm sure that they'll
> >do everything they can to get one to us ASAFP. Hopefully.
>
> This is what's wrong with America today. Everyone wants to make money,
> and some of them seem to want to ignore the ethical standards of trade
> to do so.

And thank God for that. "Ethics" that are counterproductive and evil
(keeping women in the home, eliminating an ethnic group that has down
yours great harm, enforcing "copyright-protection", etc) has done much
harm. Simply seeking to aquire more money, though, is morally neutral
and doesn't normally do harm (the caveat about the nessecity of the free
market applies, here, though).

> The OEM is NOT a game, it is a DEMO. Sierra is *SELLING A DEMO*.

So? Companies have been doing that for quite a bit now.

> It's
> unfortunate the little gaming companies like Valve have to hook up
> with corporations that conduct themselves like this.

Agreed.

Cheers,

-Dan Abbott
abb...@dakota.net
"All I really want is a good life, some friends, and supreme control
over every living entity in the universe."
-The Signaturés of the World (http://khanate.com/sigs)

C.A. Dahl

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98

Guy Under The Bridge (the_sup...@hotmail.com) wrote in message
<36199ec7...@news.rdc1.on.wave.home.com>...

>On 4 Oct 1998 05:28:04 -0500, s...@deletethis.operation3d.com (Sam
>Schlansky) wrote:
>
>The OEM is NOT a game, it is a DEMO. Sierra is *SELLING A DEMO*. It's

>unfortunate the little gaming companies like Valve have to hook up
>with corporations that conduct themselves like this.

I can see where you'd get confused and upset on all of this...after all,
you're the Troller who flatly states that not only is Goldeneye the best FPS
ever, but it brightens your wash and removes those nasty mildew stains from
your brain.

So let me clue you in.

Sierra is NOT selling the demo TO YOU.

Sierra is selling the demos to OEMS who CHOOSE TO BUY IT.

Now why would an OEM do this? Simple. The OEMs want you to buy their
hardware. To sweeten the deal, and to maybe get you over on their product
in a crowded market, they GIVE you the Half-Life demo, because they know you
want it.

Everybody is happy on this deal. Sierra and Valve are happy because
Guillemot et. al. are shelling out big bucks for the demo. Guillemot is
happy because you may have bought their card because it had the demo in it.
And you're happy because you don't have Juarez the demo, and you get a
pretty nifty Banshee card to go with it.

So everybody is happy except for the hungry masses who expect a little
sugar for free. ANSTAAFL!!! is all I gotta say about that.

Terry

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
That was a beautiful explanation.....THANKS

Now hopefully everyone will stop bitching about it. When you want to
complain, just go read the previous message again....unless youre braindead,
it makes perfect sense.

Bill Valentine

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
On 28 Sep 1998 19:38:47 GMT, no...@pasture.ecn.purdue.edu (Syed Noman
Ahmad) wrote:

>In article <6umhm8$net$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> <northcan...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>>Why does the MX200 cost $149.99 when the brand new, not yet realesed, MX300
>>will only cost $99?
>
>MX200 is down ffrom 149.99$ AFAIK. As for why it cost more than
>other A3D cards...

I must be missing something. Where can I find the FAQ for
these cards? What is Vortex 2?

Thanks,
Bill Valentine
bil...@1starnet.com