Best Games of the Decade

Spalls Hurgenson

Dec 28, 2019, 2:16:05 PM12/28/19
Yup, it's that time of year again, when we look back and consider all
that has happened to us over the past year, and then compile it into a
list. Except this time it is also the end of a decade, so not only do
we have to think about "best of year" but "best of last ten years".
It's tradition, and we can't turn our backs on tradition, can we?

This has been a decade of change. Ten years ago we were still in the
middle of the XBox360/PS3 generation. People were claiming that PC
games were dead, and that video-gaming as a whole would soon be
entirely dominated by mobile. Most games were still being bought on
disc, and developers' favorite color seemed to be a muddy brown. Since
then, the next generation of consoles has come (and almost gone), PC
gaming has made a tremendous comeback, digital marketplaces are
increasingly dominant, and - while triple-A gaming is still dominated
by big-name publishers - it is the independents that challenge the
stale game-play tropes used in the rest of industry.

There have been thousands of games released since 2010, so picking
"the best" is a difficult task. My picks are not only games which I
felt were well-made and fun, but also best represent the dynamics of
this past decade.

Best of the decade
----------------------
* The Stanley Parable *
I gave this game top-billing not only because it is a very good game -
not to mention amazingly funny - but because it perfectly represents
the shift away from triple-A publishers. While EA, Activision and
Ubisoft are content to crank out identical sequel after identical
sequel - all focus-group tested to please the largest audience while
offending or challenging no one - it is the independents who have led
the way in creativity and originality. "The Stanley Parable" isn't a
game that will be liked by everyone - at heart, it is a "walking sim"
so its gameplay is extremely limited - but it is clever, funny and
technically adroit.

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order)

* Alien Isolation *
Even though it suffers from some repetitiveness and bad pacing, the
gameplay is solid, the graphics are amazing, and the sense of place is
engrossing. It can also be frightening as hell. A niche title, but
excellently put together.

* Cities Skylines *
Another example of an indie developer stepping up when the big-name
publishers fail to deliver. A better SimCity than EA's own failed
attempt to revitalize the franchise, "Skylines" has almost everything
you could wish for from a city-building sim... and if it wasn't in the
base game, you can bet it's been added by the many DLC packs or the
community-made mods.

* Dead Space 2 *
A well-made game all around, with a good mix of action and horror. It
doesn't do anything too innovative, but what it does do it manages
with aplomb.

* Eurotruck Simulator 2 *
Not only a solid title in its own right, ETS2 almost single-handedly
helped to revitalize the sim genre.

* Elder Scrolls V Skyrim *
Ambitious in scale if not design, "Skyrim's" world was so full of
hidden secrets that even if you spent the entire decade exploring all
its nooks and crannies, you still couldn't be sure that you would have
discovered everything.

* Far Cry Primal *
Ubisoft has released dozens of open-world sims, and while they were
all rather enjoyable, they were also all pretty interchangeable.
Still, they deserve recognition so I picked "Primal" as the best of
the lot.

* Firewatch *
Another "narrative-adventure game", Firewatch boasts some of the most
realistic dialogue I've yet seen in any game. Its stylized graphics
have a stark beauty to them too.

* Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice *
It has competent gameplay, a gorgeously rendered game-world, and it
dares to maturely deal with the otherwise taboo subject of mental
illness. All this and made with an independent developer's budget too.

* Kingdom Come: Deliverance *
A solid RPG with an absolutely gorgeous world. Its unforgiving
gameplay and realistic setting are also a welcome change from the
usual dragon-and-wizards fantasy normally seen in this sort of game.

* The Last of Us *
I don't have many console games on this list, but "The Last of Us"
definitely deserves a spot. Whether you playing games for their
characters, graphics, story, setting, or gameplay, "The Last of Us"
will more than satisfy you.

* Metro 2033 *
At heart a corridor shooter, "Metro" is extremely linear, but it
absolutely oozes atmosphere and its gameplay is very good too.

* Papo & Yo *
Definitely worth a mention, "Papo's" gameplay is that of a fairly
mundane 3D-puzzler/platformer but it - through imaginative metaphor -
describes the difficulties of a child and his alcoholic father.

* Portal 2 *
Of course.

* Prey (2017) *
Even though I didn't really enjoy this game all that much, even I had
to marvel at its varied gameplay and detailed world.

* Scanner Sombre *
Proof that it is less the number of pixels and polygons that makes for
beautiful art than how you use those tools, "Scanner Sombre" creates a
gorgeous world with big blocky dots.

* STALKER: Call of Pripyat *
The best of the STALKER games, as far as I am concerned, with larger
maps and a better integrated story.

* Steep *
What can I say, I love snow and few games do snow as well as Steep.

* Witcher 3 *
Big, beautiful, complex; everything you could want from a fantasy RPG.

Justisaur

Dec 30, 2019, 12:51:33 PM12/30/19
On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Yup, it's that time of year again, when we look back and consider all
> that has happened to us over the past year, and then compile it into a
> list. Except this time it is also the end of a decade, so not only do
> we have to think about "best of year" but "best of last ten years".
> It's tradition, and we can't turn our backs on tradition, can we?
>
> This has been a decade of change. Ten years ago we were still in the
> middle of the XBox360/PS3 generation. People were claiming that PC
> games were dead, and that video-gaming as a whole would soon be
> entirely dominated by mobile. Most games were still being bought on
> disc, and developers' favorite color seemed to be a muddy brown. Since
> then, the next generation of consoles has come (and almost gone), PC
> gaming has made a tremendous comeback, digital marketplaces are
> increasingly dominant, and - while triple-A gaming is still dominated
> by big-name publishers - it is the independents that challenge the
> stale game-play tropes used in the rest of industry.
>
> There have been thousands of games released since 2010, so picking
> "the best" is a difficult task. My picks are not only games which I
> felt were well-made and fun, but also best represent the dynamics of
> this past decade.
>

> Best of the decade
> ----------------------
> * The Stanley Parable *
>
> * Alien Isolation *

> * Cities Skylines *
> * Dead Space 2 *
> * Eurotruck Simulator 2 *
> * Elder Scrolls V Skyrim *
> * Far Cry Primal *
> * Firewatch *
> * Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice *
> * Kingdom Come: Deliverance *
> * The Last of Us *
> * Metro 2033 *
> * Papo & Yo *
> * Portal 2 *
>> * Prey (2017) *
> * Scanner Sombre *
> * STALKER: Call of Pripyat *
> * Steep *
> * Witcher 3 *

I'm on the fence on Portal 2, Farcry Primal, and Skyrim. They're very good
games, but I don't know I'd put them on a best of the decade list.

The rest of those I haven't played, I really need to try STALKER 2 and some of
those other ones. Too many games right now! A problem I never thought I'd
have.

My list, this is going to be hard because there were so many good games this
year, I'm tempted to stack toward those, but I'll try not to.

* Singularity (2010) FPS with time travel, a very interesting game, and I
think a real 'must play' game.

* Dark Souls (2011) Praise the Sun! There's just something about this game,
the dark otherworldly feel, the insanely difficult combat/bosses, the jolly
cooperation.

* Borderlands 2 (2012) Only really when you consider it with all the DLCs. I
played this perhaps more than anything else. Gunzerker for life!

* Rogue Legacy (2013) This is my nod to the indy retro games, perhaps my
favorite, though Cosmochoria and Risk of Rain are both contenders.

* Warframe (2013) Best free online multi-player game though I came to it only
in 2018. It's hardly fair to call it a 2013 game as it's been constantly
updated and added to since 2013. Has strange controls, and a lot to learn
that's difficult learn in game. It's weird, has some good stories, a great
community, and like being a bit of a superhero with guns and a bio-mech in the
far distant future. It's probably the most original game in this list.

2014 Nothing this year that would make a best of the decade list, but there's
at least a few honorable mentions, I wouldn't include it in a best list due to
flaws, but The Crew was a load of fun with online racing and exploring a large
world. Wasteland 2, and South Park: The Stick of Truth were pretty good, but
not quite good enough to make the list either.

* Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. (2015) This is an amazing game of
crawling around on your belly slowly :) but seriously, it's a great FPS - yes
it's got flaws, but I loved it. It was very hard, and I have Spalls to thank
for this one, as I got it from one of his giveaways, it's not a game I
would've ever tried if I had to buy it, wasn't even on my radar.

* Superhot (2016) ultimate bullet time FPS, I hear it's great on VR too.

2017 Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey receive honorable
mentions, they're a bit too childish for me to put on a Best of Decade list,
but they were fun to play a bit, especially SMO with the son.

2018 I'll give an honorable mention to Subnautica, it's different, I found it
a bit too annoying and slow eventually, I didn't even finish it.

* Rogue Galaxy Outlaw (2019): A callback to the privateer space
combat/trading game. The story is gritty and great, there was a twist that
blew me away. The controls & combat are a bit hard to deal with, but I did
manage to complete it, and did eventually change the controls a bit. It took
a long time to grow on me, but grow it did.

* Star Control Origins (2019): A funny space exploration game with a much
smoother 2d space combat than the original Star Control games. It's very
similar to SC2, but races changed superficially. I'd almost call it a modern
remastered SC2. There was some IP issues, but they've been worked out, you
owe it to yourself to play it if you liked the old Star Control.

* Outer Worlds (2019) This is the best game I've played in the decade. It's
probably the best RPG I've ever played, and It's perhaps even the best game
I've ever played. If there weren't so many other things to play I'd probably
still be at it. It could be a bit longer, and I'd like to see mods for it,
the difficulty needs something between Supernova and Hard or some toggles on
some things. It's main flaw is the shortness of the game, but there's so much
to do and so many ways to do it, it's at least somewhat replayable.

- Justisaur

Anssi Saari

Dec 31, 2019, 8:38:49 AM12/31/19
Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> writes:

> Yup, it's that time of year again, when we look back and consider all
> that has happened to us over the past year, and then compile it into a
> list. Except this time it is also the end of a decade, so not only do
> we have to think about "best of year" but "best of last ten years".
> It's tradition, and we can't turn our backs on tradition, can we?

So I just went through my Steam list and pulled the most played games...

1. Defiance (822 h)
2. Borderlands 2 (805 h)
3. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (177 h)
4. Fallout 4 (131 h)
5. Mafia III (90 h)
6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (67 h)
7. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (58 h)
8. The Talos Principle (45 h)
9. Borderlands GOTY Enhanced (39 h)
10. DOOM (37 h)
11. Sniper Elite 4 (27 h)
12. Hard Reset (25 h)
13. Tales from the Borderlands (22 h)
14. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (18 h)
15. Wolfenstein: The New Order (18 h)
16. Alan Wake (17 h)
17. NieR: Automata (16 h)

Games not on the Steam list?

- Borderlands 3 (Epic says 3d so about 72 hours)
- GTA V
- Mass Effect 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Portal 2

So this is roughly what I've played this decade, enough to leave a
memory. There might be more, list is hand crafted.

By category, 1 MMO, 3 RPGs (barely?), 2 puzzle games, 1 walking sim, the
rest (15) action games. I guess I know what I like.

Thoughts on my gaming:
- Action games dominate.

- No idea how I have so many hours in Defiance. Sure I liked the TV show
but it's not anything great and the game is just meh. I guess I just
indulged my inner completionist with this one. There's a huge sheet
with check boxes in this and I remember just grinding to get some of
those. Like landing the kill shot on some particular (raid) boss.

Then again, this had a separate launcher so it's possible that's been
running.

- Borderlands 2 is not a surprise. Six characters, all with at least a
playthrough each. Haven't even played all the DLC but then there's
loads of that. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep stands out as
actually having a completely different environment and enemy
types. Story is basically a retelling of the games' main plot.

Then the hype engine for Borderlands 3 provided another free DLC this
year and also some good legendaries were purchasable via VIP points. I
had quite an enjoyable time with those, playing Ultimate Vault Hunter
Mode with my original Maya character. After farming for complementing
gear, like a Sham shield to go with the Norfleet rocket
launcher.

> This has been a decade of change. Ten years ago we were still in the
> middle of the XBox360/PS3 generation. People were claiming that PC
> games were dead, and that video-gaming as a whole would soon be
> entirely dominated by mobile.

Although I think publishers were starting to believe in PC gaming again
around the start of the decade. Mass Effect 2 for example, simultaneous
release on all platforms in 2010.

Justisaur

Dec 31, 2019, 9:44:53 AM12/31/19
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 5:38:49 AM UTC-8, Anssi Saari wrote:

> So I just went through my Steam list and pulled the most played games...
>
> 1. Defiance (822 h)
> 2. Borderlands 2 (805 h)
> 3. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (177 h)

> - No idea how I have so many hours in Defiance. Sure I liked the TV show
> but it's not anything great and the game is just meh. I guess I just
> indulged my inner completionist with this one. There's a huge sheet
> with check boxes in this and I remember just grinding to get some of
> those. Like landing the kill shot on some particular (raid) boss.
>
> Then again, this had a separate launcher so it's possible that's been
> running.

That's why I don't go by steam hours, I'll often just leave a game running so
I don't have to relaunch it and waste the couple minutes waiting for it to
finish its launch sequence. It also doesn't necessarily mean I enjoyed
something all that much, just enough to keep playing it - which often times
means it's more addictive than good.

If I go by Steam hours:

#1 1374 Borderlands 2
#2 1084 Dark Souls 2
#3 900 Warframe
#4 798 Dark Souls
-- 500 Borderlands (2009 - disqualified)
#5 445 Grand Theft Auto IV
#6 412 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
#7 405 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
#8 371 Fallout 4
#9 294 Risk of Rain
-- 294 Torchlight (2009 - disqualified)
#10 294 Wasteland 2

Looking at that I might grudgingly admit that B2 was indeed the game of the
decade, but really it was just more addictive than fun, The Pre-Sequel was
a better game, but I'd just had enough by the point I got to it
where it didn't even make the list of most played.

Dark Souls was a way better game than DS2, DS2 was just harder and longer with
a less interesting story.

I didn't even like GTA IV, no idea how I got that much time in it.

Fallout 4 kinda meh, mostly just wandering around, it shouldn't even be on a
game of the decade list.

Risk of Rain should probably get the nod though instead of Rogue Legacy for
retro game of the decade as they were pretty well tied in my mind, and that I
played it significantly more gives it a boost.

My favorite - Outer Worlds doesn't even make the list for hours played, though
it's on Epic, it's 4 days so somewhere around 96 hours.

- Jusisaur

Spalls Hurgenson

Dec 31, 2019, 3:51:02 PM12/31/19
On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:51:31 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<just...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My list, this is going to be hard because there were so many good games this
>year, I'm tempted to stack toward those, but I'll try not to.

Good list!

>* Singularity (2010) FPS with time travel, a very interesting game, and I
>think a real 'must play' game.

While I am not a fan of many of the other games on your list
(Borderlands 2, for instance), I can agree with their inclusion since
they were generally all good games. But, man, Singularity? It had a
neat concept completely ruined by humdrum and unexciting game-play.
We'll just have to agree to disagree with this one (well, you gave me
Skyrim, after all)

>* Dark Souls (2011) Praise the Sun! There's just something about this game,
>the dark otherworldly feel, the insanely difficult combat/bosses, the jolly
>cooperation.

I very much debated on whether or not to add "Dark Souls" to my list.
It definitely had a significant impact on the gaming industry - it
even created its genre of game - but two things put me off. First, the
port to PC was unforgivably horrid, and second, I really am not a fan
of "Dark Souls" games.

>* Warframe (2013) Best free online multi-player game though I came to it only
>in 2018. It's hardly fair to call it a 2013 game as it's been constantly
>updated and added to since 2013. Has strange controls, and a lot to learn
>that's difficult learn in game. It's weird, has some good stories, a great
>community, and like being a bit of a superhero with guns and a bio-mech in the
>far distant future. It's probably the most original game in this list.

Warframe was another I considered for my list, but I didn't think
myself the right person to judge whether it was worthy or not. For all
that it has a rabid fanbase and has thrived for almost the entire
decade - and all as a free-to-play game! - is it a really good
multiplayer game, or just one that appeals to a niche or cheapskates?
Fans of course would claim the former, but all I know is that I am
hardly the one to make that sort of determination; is is just not a
genre I delve very deeply into.

>* Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. (2015) This is an amazing game of
>crawling around on your belly slowly :) but seriously, it's a great FPS - yes
>it's got flaws, but I loved it. It was very hard, and I have Spalls to thank
>for this one, as I got it from one of his giveaways, it's not a game I
>would've ever tried if I had to buy it, wasn't even on my radar.

MGS5 is one of those games I want to love, but I just can't. Its
gameplay is solid and fun, but man... the story. Kojima's wackiness
just does not appeal to me.

Trimble Bracegirdle

Jan 1, 2020, 9:54:31 PM1/1/20
Thanks Spalls --Happy New Year to everybody.

Interesting lists . Given me some ideas
I tend to fall for Games described as 'Open World ..roaming ..action RPG'
So good to see positive comments on 'Outer Worlds'

Spalls listed * Kingdom Come: Deliverance * I wanted to Love it
but think it a candidate for disappointment of decade
(along with ELEX and Ravens Cry etc..etc..)
The combat is awful - the AI ridiculous - the big world empty
The cut scenes and story are good.
Its like its makers couldn't decide if they
were making a adventure or an action or strategy management game.

My own list is purely personal and all on Windows

@ Borderlands 2
@ Dishonored 2 (and 1st one)
@ Deus Ex Human Revolution - IMHO has the edge over Mankind Divided
@ Fallout: New Vegas - the best of FO 3 & 4
@ Bioshock Infinite - I'll just give it the prize over the previous 2
@ Batman arkham city
@ Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
@ GTA IV & Episodes from Liberty City
@ Mass Effect 2
@ I want to list a Tomb Raider . But my all time best is Underworld from 2008
I spend a lot of time in the recent ones but I don't think they have 'IT'
@ Also I rate the whole series of both the Wolfenstien and COD's
but can;t pick one
@ Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning (2012) - neglected gem - action RPG -big open-ish world

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Justisaur

Jan 2, 2020, 10:57:19 AM1/2/20
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:51:02 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:51:31 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >* Singularity (2010) FPS with time travel, a very interesting game, and I
> >think a real 'must play' game.
>
> While I am not a fan of many of the other games on your list
> (Borderlands 2, for instance), I can agree with their inclusion since
> they were generally all good games. But, man, Singularity? It had a
> neat concept completely ruined by humdrum and unexciting game-play.
> We'll just have to agree to disagree with this one (well, you gave me
> Skyrim, after all)

It was innovative, I don't think it was hum-drum at all, perhaps in the very beginning before getting any of the time powers. I do remember I was highly annoyed by choosing the wrong gun at one point and having to start completely over because I couldn't progress with that gun - I almost quit at that point, and if I had I would've put it in the trash heap.

Skyrim was almost a meh, but when I ran the Assassin's guild quests, I was blown away, this was how to do an assassin's quest line! Never had a seen or felt something that came so close to an excellent live D&D feel. That really gives it the nod for me. That and it's a good thing it's modible or I probably still would've tossed it in the trash heap, never getting that far into it as the combat/game play is so bad.

> >* Warframe (2013) Best free online multi-player game though I came to it only
> >in 2018. It's hardly fair to call it a 2013 game as it's been constantly
> >updated and added to since 2013. Has strange controls, and a lot to learn
> >that's difficult learn in game. It's weird, has some good stories, a great
> >community, and like being a bit of a superhero with guns and a bio-mech in the
> >far distant future. It's probably the most original game in this list.

> Warframe was another I considered for my list, but I didn't think
> myself the right person to judge whether it was worthy or not. For all
> that it has a rabid fanbase and has thrived for almost the entire
> decade - and all as a free-to-play game! - is it a really good
> multiplayer game, or just one that appeals to a niche or cheapskates?
> Fans of course would claim the former, but all I know is that I am
> hardly the one to make that sort of determination; is is just not a
> genre I delve very deeply into.

I don't think I'm a rabid fan as I haven't played it in over a year now, but in my mind it surpassed CoH for multiplayer. It certainly fits today's shorter available time (or attention span) It's got warts aplenty, but looking beyond those warts it's an amazing and innovative game.

> >* Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. (2015) This is an amazing game of
> >crawling around on your belly slowly :) but seriously, it's a great FPS - yes
> >it's got flaws, but I loved it. It was very hard, and I have Spalls to thank
> >for this one, as I got it from one of his giveaways, it's not a game I
> >would've ever tried if I had to buy it, wasn't even on my radar.
>
> MGS5 is one of those games I want to love, but I just can't. Its
> gameplay is solid and fun, but man... the story. Kojima's wackiness
> just does not appeal to me.

I love wackiness :) I'm sure I wouldn't have liked the game if it weren't for the wackiness. Different strokes...

- Justisaur

Spalls Hurgenson

Jan 2, 2020, 1:09:11 PM1/2/20
On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 18:54:30 -0800 (PST), Trimble Bracegirdle
<hug...@tesco.net> wrote:

>Thanks Spalls --Happy New Year to everybody.

>Interesting lists . Given me some ideas
Yup. The whole point of these lists is to inspire others to look at
games they might have missed

>I tend to fall for Games described as 'Open World ..roaming ..action RPG'
>So good to see positive comments on 'Outer Worlds'

>Spalls listed * Kingdom Come: Deliverance * I wanted to Love it
>but think it a candidate for disappointment of decade
>(along with ELEX and Ravens Cry etc..etc..)
>The combat is awful - the AI ridiculous - the big world empty
>The cut scenes and story are good.
>Its like its makers couldn't decide if they
>were making a adventure or an action or strategy management game.

I can't entirely disagree with your assessment; KC:D is not without
flaws. Its combat is definitely one of its weakest points; the
designers obviously wanted to channel games like "For Honor",
"Chivalry" or even "Die by the Sword", but it is an odd fit for such a
game. I'm not sure about your issues with the AI; while it certainly
does nothing impressive, I didn't see it doing anything really stupid
either. It was about on par with the AI of most CRPGs.

What I liked about KC:D is its attempt at versimilitude; it
successfully presented a rich story in a fairly realistic medieval
world without resorting to the usual fantasy cliches of goblins and
wizards. That there wasn't an enemy around every corner was actually
one of the game's strengths, as was the deadliness of the combat (that
it later required you to enter into huge brawls was one of the games
flaws, despite it making the game more exciting). KC:D took the basic
formula from winning open-world CRPGs like Gothic or Skyrim, and put
its own unique twist on it. Was it perfectly successful? Was the
creation something that would appeal to everybody? No, on both counts,
but since a running theme for most of my selections was innovation
coming from small publishers, I think it was a perfect addition to my
"best of the decade"

IMHO, of course.

>My own list is purely personal and all on Windows

>@ Borderlands 2
>@ Dishonored 2 (and 1st one)
Dishonored might have made my list, except for the fact that I didn't
really care for the setting. In any event, much of what the Dishonored
series achieved was improved upon by "Prey", which I did include (and
enjoyed more).

>@ Deus Ex Human Revolution - IMHO has the edge over Mankind Divided
Deus Ex:HR was on my list almost to the end, when I finally cut it. It
was an excellent game (well, aside from the boss battles!) but in the
end it didn't really seem to add much to the genre beyond what its
predecessors had already done.

Anssi Saari

Jan 2, 2020, 1:53:52 PM1/2/20
Trimble Bracegirdle <hug...@tesco.net> writes:

> @ Fallout: New Vegas - the best of FO 3 & 4

Oh yes, this was released in 2010 so something for the (now) old decade
after all. Forgot to put it on my list (or actually I though it came out
earlier). I did like NV quite a lot, way more than bugfest FO3. Too bad
about the writing and the bad faction system and the companion stuff
that I didn't really pick up on.

Justisaur

Jan 3, 2020, 11:11:12 AM1/3/20
On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 6:54:31 PM UTC-8, Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
> Thanks Spalls --Happy New Year to everybody.
>
> Interesting lists . Given me some ideas
> I tend to fall for Games described as 'Open World ..roaming ..action RPG'
> So good to see positive comments on 'Outer Worlds'

If you're more interested in open world, roaming and action, Outer Worlds might not be for you, the planetary areas are much smaller than the Fallouts, and there's not an awful lot of roaming (there's a bit, mostly on one particular planet, there's certainly a few secret locations to discover, some of which I didn't discover until my 3rd-4th play) and the action is mediocre, although I think still better than Fallouts mostly. It's an RPG above all.

Although if you liked Fallout NV it's the same developer, and I think they did a significantly better job with this game, and would say it's their best RPG.

- Justisaur

JAB

Jan 5, 2020, 7:09:24 AM1/5/20
My list and it did make me think how much my gaming habits, or maybe the
gaming industry itself, has changed. Not a single triple-A FPS in sight.
* World of Tanks

I only play this sporadically now but considering how much time I've
spent on it for so little money I have to include it. I like tanks and
it has, or did have, a fairly good free-to-play model.

* Pike and Shot: Campaigns

I wasn't sure whether to include this or Field of Glory II but this one
grabs it as the era it's set in is one of my favourites. A very simply
done IGOUGO wargame rooted in table-top rules but with all the different
nations and ample community support there's a lot a value in there.

* Sunless Sea

It's weird, it's wacky, you have great adventures and you die or go
insane. What's not to like. A really good example of you don't need a
large budget to create great stories and an immersive game.

* The Talos Principle

The best puzzler I've played in a long time, if not the best of all time.

* The Cave

It's a basic platform puzzler which is a genre I'm not really keen on
but as I've played it through several times it seemed rude not to list it.

* Disco Elysium

Well I've banged on about this enough but a really well made and
engaging RPG which tips its hat to TT RPG's.

* Fallout New Vegas

I liked FO:3 and like all sequels you think it's not going to be as
good. I was right it was even better. A really classic in PC gaming in
my opinion.

* Firewatch

Yes it's a walking simulator but with some great characterisation.

* Shadow Tactics

If you liked the stealth/puzzler games from many years ago then this is
an absolute blast.

Ross Ridge

Jan 7, 2020, 6:18:33 PM1/7/20
In article <ldte0f5qtbeco37ri...@4ax.com>,
Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yup, it's that time of year again, when we look back and consider all
>that has happened to us over the past year, and then compile it into a
>list. Except this time it is also the end of a decade, so not only do
>we have to think about "best of year" but "best of last ten years".
>It's tradition, and we can't turn our backs on tradition, can we?

It's a bit late but my best games of the last ten years would be, in no
particular order:

- Fallout: New Vegas

This game is what Fallout 3 should've been. If you're going to make
Fallout a 3D first-person perspective game you don't have to bastardize
everything else that made the original two Fallout games so great.

- Borderlands 2

I like the original better, but that was a game of the previous
generation. Still a very good game, great mix of FPS and RPG, challenging
but not too hard for someone like me who's never really been good at
twitch games.

- Saints Row: The Third

This open world GTA-clone wins a lot points for me simply for being able
to completely customize the appearance of your character. Honestly, given
the nature of open world games, I don't know why this isn't more common.
The game does end up being superhero simulator in the end, but on the
way the open world gives a lot different things to do when not working
on storyline missions.

- Crusader Kings: II

Despite the enormous scope of the game, this is probably the most
accessible of the Paradox grand strategy games. Unlike most strategy
games the existenial threat isn't so much being conquered by a neighbour
as not being able secure a heir of your dynasty to continue the game after
you die. This is a game of having many plans, schemes and plots going
at once, in the hope that at least some of them succeed. Marry your
third daughter matrilineally to the grandson of the Byzantine Emperor
for the immediate prestige benefit and the slim chance that a child of
this marriage, and of your dyntasy, ends becoming the Emperor.

The biggest problem with the game is all the DLC, however the base
game is now free and doesn't really need any of the DLC. Fortunately,
with Crusader Kings III announced they're probably done with the DLC.
I picked up all the actual content DLC for $15 in a Humble Bundle, and
there will probably be a deal like that again in the future, but I have
mixed feeling on the DLC. A lot of the later DLC seems less worth while,
some of it pushing the game more into the realm of fantasy.

- Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

This game proved there was an eager market for JRPGs on the PC that
Japanese publishers we ignoring. In Japan this was a single-developer
self-published "doujinshi" game, in the West it was brought over by small
publisher and put on Steam. It's actually more of store simulator,
focusing on selling stuff you find in the dungeon rather than the
dungeon crawl itself. The store mechanics are actually pretty good,
which is something many similar games, like Moonlighter, get wrong.

- Space Pirates and Zombies

Basically take the combat of Star Control, put it in an open world, add in
a lot of ship customization options then toss in a bunch of space zombies
and you've got SPaZ. Despite not having technically impressive graphics,
even for 2011, it's graphics effects and design are actually pretty good.
While it's basically 2D, it's not pixel art and it's almost as colourful
as an old 80's arcade game.

- Batman: Arkham City

It's a bit of a toss up as to which I like better, this game, or the
orginal Batman: Arkham Asylum. Both basically play the same way, but
Arhham City has an open world, as opposed to Asylum's more restricted
environment. The original game redefined how brawling works in video
games, but was released last decade so this game gets the nod. The mix of
stealth with the excellent brawling mechnics, that I never quite mastered,
makes for a really fun game.

- Valkyria Chronicles

The first thing you notice about this game are its beautiful
watercolour/cell-shaded graphics. Playing it reveals that its a fun
strategy-RPG played from a first-person perspective. Playing it on a
PlayStation 3, as I originally did, reveals how much a controller sucks
compared to a keyboard and mouse. It wasn't until I got the PC version
of the game that I was able to get into it.

- Disgaea 4

I'm a big fan of the Disgaea series, and this is the best of the ones
released this decade that I've played. It's a strategy-RPG that mixes
both set storyline missions with random dungeons. The mechanics of
the game, in particular the ability to lift and throw party members and
monsters, offer a lot tactical flexibility. It never takes itself too
seriously, but it also manages to tell an interesting story with every
new iteration of the series.

Honorable Mentions:

Sleeping Dogs: GTA-clone that's less of a muder-simulator because you
play as an undercover cop. Also Hong Kong instead a fictuous US city.

Civilization V: Probably the best Civilization game there's ever going
to be given how big a disappointment Civilization VI turned out.

The Last Story: Great JRPG for the Wii, with a more western (not cowboy
western) RPG feel. Pushes the Wii's capabilities to the limit, and
beyond in places in unfortunately.

Anyone who's read to the end here has probably noted that all of these
games I mentioned are pretty old. I'm pretty behind on my games,
so I haven't played a lot of games from the later half of the decade.
However, as most best of the decade lists I've seen online are heavily
focused on games released in the two or three years, someone should be
standing up for these older games.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Justisaur

Jan 8, 2020, 11:54:00 AM1/8/20
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 3:18:33 PM UTC-8, Ross Ridge wrote:
> In article <ldte0f5qtbeco37ri...@4ax.com>,
>
> - Saints Row: The Third
>
> This open world GTA-clone wins a lot points for me simply for being able
> to completely customize the appearance of your character. Honestly, given
> the nature of open world games, I don't know why this isn't more common.
> The game does end up being superhero simulator in the end, but on the
> way the open world gives a lot different things to do when not working
> on storyline missions.

Isn't it the 4th one that lets you play a superhero? Although it's more like
The Matrix.

I liked all the SR games, and almost included IV.
I actually liked SR IV considerably more than GTA IV. I actually put it as my
#4 Steam game earlier this decade, I was on the fence about it, but it
probably deserves a top 10 of the decade spot. I liked it just a tad more
than III.

> - Space Pirates and Zombies
>
> Basically take the combat of Star Control, put it in an open world, add in
> a lot of ship customization options then toss in a bunch of space zombies
> and you've got SPaZ. Despite not having technically impressive graphics,
> even for 2011, it's graphics effects and design are actually pretty good.
> While it's basically 2D, it's not pixel art and it's almost as colourful
> as an old 80's arcade game.

I need to try this again. It seemed o.k. when I tried it, but wasn't up to
the old SC 2, let alone SC:O. I know I didn't give it enough of a chance, but
it seemed a bit grindy.

> - Disgaea 4
>
> I'm a big fan of the Disgaea series, and this is the best of the ones
> released this decade that I've played. It's a strategy-RPG that mixes
> both set storyline missions with random dungeons. The mechanics of
> the game, in particular the ability to lift and throw party members and
> monsters, offer a lot tactical flexibility. It never takes itself too
> seriously, but it also manages to tell an interesting story with every
> new iteration of the series.

I've never been a big fan of jrpgs, a couple exceptions I liked a bit - the
original zelda, .hack, and there was this web game I don't remember the name
of that had hybrid vampire-werewolves you could fight. This sounds
interesting.

> Honorable Mentions:
>
> Sleeping Dogs: GTA-clone that's less of a muder-simulator because you
> play as an undercover cop. Also Hong Kong instead a fictuous US city.

Sleeping Dogs was pretty good, definitely earns a mention. I did really like
the game angle a lot better than GTA as you could be a bit of a hero and still
do GTA stuff. I never did finish it though, so it was right on the edge of
what I'd consider, again just too many others that were better.

I thought there was a II, but it looks like it got canceled, that sucks, it
had a lot of potential.

> Anyone who's read to the end here has probably noted that all of these
> games I mentioned are pretty old. I'm pretty behind on my games,
> so I haven't played a lot of games from the later half of the decade.
> However, as most best of the decade lists I've seen online are heavily
> focused on games released in the two or three years, someone should be
> standing up for these older games.

I went through by year on my list, trying to include something from each, but
still ended up with 3 from this year, and GOTD from the very end of this year.
I'm not sure if it's just they were fresher in my mind, or if they were in
fact better. Ask again at the end of next year, I may have changed my mind.

Which one earns your "Game of the Decade?"

- Justisaur

Ross Ridge

Jan 8, 2020, 2:17:50 PM1/8/20
Ross Ridge wrote:
> - Saints Row: The Third
>
> This open world GTA-clone wins a lot points for me simply for being able
> to completely customize the appearance of your character. Honestly, given
> the nature of open world games, I don't know why this isn't more common.
> The game does end up being superhero simulator in the end, but on the
> way the open world gives a lot different things to do when not working
> on storyline missions.

Justisaur <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Isn't it the 4th one that lets you play a superhero? Although it's more like
>The Matrix.

I haven't played much of Saints Row IV, but apparently it becomes a
superhero simulator pretty quickly. (A common compliant is that you
no longer need to use cars for most of the game, since you can move
faster than a car.) With Saints Row: The Third it's only gets to this
state at the end of the game when you've unlocked all the abilities,
including one that makes you invulnerable. Being an open-world superhero
simulator isn't bad thing, but it sorta of conflicts with a lot of the
tropes of GTA-clone open-world crime games.

>> - Space Pirates and Zombies
>>
>I need to try this again. It seemed o.k. when I tried it, but wasn't up to
>the old SC 2, let alone SC:O. I know I didn't give it enough of a chance, but
>it seemed a bit grindy.

It's not Star Control 2 by any means. It's story and world aren't as
detailed, you're not meeting various interesting races, but it's combat
systems are much more sophisiticated. It's more like a rougle-like world,
though I don't think the map is randomly generated.

>> - Disgaea 4
>>
>I've never been a big fan of jrpgs, a couple exceptions I liked a bit - the
>original zelda, .hack, and there was this web game I don't remember the name
>of that had hybrid vampire-werewolves you could fight. This sounds
>interesting.

The original Disgaea, Disgaea 2 and Disgaea 5 are all on Steam.
Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4, and Disgaea D2 are only available on the consoles.
There's a demo for Disgaea 2 on Steam, so give that a try. If you
like what you see, then I recommend starting with the original Disgaea
if you don't mind that not all of the graphics have been updated from
their PlayStation 2 resolutions. Otherwise Disgaea 5, originally for
the PlayStation 4, would be a better game to try.

Not that these are strategy RPGs, which aren't like any of the games
you mentioned. You're controlling party of characters, up to 10 at once
in this case, and moving them around a grid map. The throwing mechanic
I mentioned distinguishes it from other strategy RPGs, plus geo panel
mechanic where different coloured squares have different buffs/debuffs
depending on the geo symbol sitting on a geo panel of the same colour.
And of course, you can pick up the geo symbols and throw them onto a
panel of a different colour.

Basically strategy RPGs are to JRPGs, as Fallout: Tactics is to Fallout.

>I thought there was a II, but it looks like it got canceled, that sucks, it
>had a lot of potential.

Sleeping Dogs itself got canceled at one point, it originally started
off as True Crime: Hong Kong.

>Which one earns your "Game of the Decade?"

I'm not really sure to be honest, that's why I listed them in no
particular order. They all scratch different itches, and at various
times I'd rate them differently against each other depending on my mood.
Ask me in a year from now I might rate Sleeping Dogs higher Saints Rows:
The Third.

PW

Jan 21, 2020, 11:20:52 PM1/21/20

>* Kingdom Come: Deliverance *
>A solid RPG with an absolutely gorgeous world. Its unforgiving
>gameplay and realistic setting are also a welcome change from the
>usual dragon-and-wizards fantasy normally seen in this sort of game.

You'd better be right Spalls! :-) I wasn't going to buy another game
for a while but I have been looking at this one since Fanatical sent
me an email for the bundle (all the DLCs) for $25.

-pw