Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

17 views
Skip to first unread message

Spalls Hurgenson

unread,
Feb 20, 2024, 11:19:36 AMFeb 20
to

Time for the bi-weekly disappointment that is Amazon Prime Gaming...

* Tempest 4000
So this one is obvious: it's Tempest revamped for modern
computers. It's more of a bullet hell (or heaven?) than
the original, but you're still locked to the grid. Apparently
the original release was fairly buggy; no idea if this one
is improved. But I suppose if you liked Tempest (and this
game runs) you'll probably like this one too.

* Missile Command: Recharged (via Epic)
Another classic archive remixed for modern sensibilities.
It's a lot less impressive looking than most, though; I've
seen a lot better looking incarnations of the game. But it
seems to capture the vibe of the original game fairly well,
even if it does add a number of new gameplay elements.

* Criminal Archives: Alphabetic Murders CE (via Legacy)
More puzzle than adventure game. Not crazy about the
'cardboard cutout' character art style. But if you like
murder mystery adventures then maybe this will be
your thing.


The sad thing is, this is actually one of Amazon Prime's /better/
selections. The games are all very niche but none of them look
terrible. It still does nothing to encourage me to recommend the
service...













(quick check: did I post this to the correct newsgroup this time? Yes.
Yes I did.)


Justisaur

unread,
Feb 20, 2024, 5:30:27 PMFeb 20
to
On 2/20/2024 8:19 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
> Time for the bi-weekly disappointment that is Amazon Prime Gaming...
>
> * Tempest 4000
> So this one is obvious: it's Tempest revamped for modern
> computers. It's more of a bullet hell (or heaven?) than
> the original, but you're still locked to the grid. Apparently
> the original release was fairly buggy; no idea if this one
> is improved. But I suppose if you liked Tempest (and this
> game runs) you'll probably like this one too.
>

Well I liked Tempest in the arcade, just liked though. It was rare for
me to play it, and I never got very good. I got it. Likelyhood of
playing it while non 0 is infinitesimally close to 0.

> * Missile Command: Recharged (via Epic)
> Another classic archive remixed for modern sensibilities.
> It's a lot less impressive looking than most, though; I've
> seen a lot better looking incarnations of the game. But it
> seems to capture the vibe of the original game fairly well,
> even if it does add a number of new gameplay elements.

Easier to get through Prime than opening up Epic, so I did. Likelyhood
of playing it is significantly lower than Tempest, even though I
probably played MC in the arcade a lot more, and was much better at it.
Who wants to defend against nukes, blowing up the enemies with them
would be much more fun (as introduced in Fallout 3! Oh yes, I know
other games allowed you to use nukes before it, but it was mostly in the
background, not personal ordinance.)

>
> * Criminal Archives: Alphabetic Murders CE (via Legacy)
> More puzzle than adventure game. Not crazy about the
> 'cardboard cutout' character art style. But if you like
> murder mystery adventures then maybe this will be
> your thing.

Still haven't seen anything from Legacy that would make me bother going
through the account creation process.

> The sad thing is, this is actually one of Amazon Prime's /better/
> selections. The games are all very niche but none of them look
> terrible. It still does nothing to encourage me to recommend the
> service...
>

Definitely not for the free games. Sure I've gotten a few over the
years, but I'd drop it like a hot potato were it not for it comes with
Prime which the wife has, and by virtue of being married to her I get.

---------------------

The free prime games on Luna are mostly without note again. One
somewhat caught my eye:

Inertial Drift, A racing game with 80's cell-shaded art looking a bit
between Borderlands and Far-Cry Blood Dragon. It uses twin stick
controls - left for steering and right for auto-drift. I always hate
drifting, perhaps that will make it better? I Might try it out later.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Zaghadka

unread,
Feb 20, 2024, 5:58:10 PMFeb 20
to
Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
don't think there's any difference.

Does this count as 1/2 game for the purposes of The Number?

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

candycanearter07

unread,
Feb 20, 2024, 6:02:49 PMFeb 20
to
On 2/20/24 16:58, Zaghadka wrote:
> Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
> don't think there's any difference.
>
> Does this count as 1/2 game for the purposes of The Number?

Sure, you're the judge.
--
user <candycane> is generated from /dev/urandom

David Goodwin

unread,
Feb 20, 2024, 8:06:08 PMFeb 20
to
In article <hibatihucrilhv5ms...@4ax.com>,
zagh...@hotmail.com says...
>
> Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
> don't think there's any difference.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I'd guess if one were to download both and
diff them they'd be identical and the only difference is who GOG sent
money to when a purchase was made.

Spalls Hurgenson

unread,
Feb 21, 2024, 10:19:32 AMFeb 21
to
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:58:06 -0600, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
>don't think there's any difference.
>
>Does this count as 1/2 game for the purposes of The Number?

Apparently the only difference is that "Classic" has OSX support. So
if you own regular "Fallout" on GOG, you only get the x86 version. If
you own "Classic", you get that too, but can also download an OSX
version.

Oh, and on GOG the "Classic" version has more extras (I think; some HD
wallpaper and extra 'avatars').

How it is counted in terms of The Number has led to several holy wars
in the past. If I own the same game on different digital platforms,
does it count as one game or two? What if I also own it on CD or
floppy? Or if I own the same game on different platforms? Or a
not-identical port to another platform? The scripture, sadly, is
unclear and I certainly am not going to get involved in that sort of
thing again. Being burned at the stake for heresty once was enough for
me! ;-)






0 new messages