Free Unrailed game!

Ant

Aug 4, 2022, 4:06:16 PM8/4/22
http://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/unrailed-e19729
--
RIP, Vin Scully. Xen is a beautiful scary world. Uh oh! Another war soon? Dang old bodies, aches, tiredness, peeing, pooping, etc. :( Quiet week again before a slammy next week?
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Spalls Hurgenson

Aug 4, 2022, 7:07:12 PM8/4/22
On Thu, 04 Aug 2022 15:06:10 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>http://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/unrailed-e19729

Epic continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Well, they promised
they'd keep the "free games every week" program running for all of
2022; they said nothing about the quality of those games ;-)

(Okay, perhaps I'm being a bit unfair. It's got 'very positive'
reviews on Steam, so obviously it has some fans. Still, it's a far cry
from earlier releases on Epic, like "GTA5" or "Hitman 3" or "Metro:
Last Light". And in truth, for everyone of those, Epic has always
padded it out with four or five games like "Costume Quest" and
"Defense Grid" or the "Kid Amnesia Exhibition".)

Still, "Unrailed!" seems an odd one. It's like the bastard love-child
of "Minecraft" and "Railroad Tycoon" that was raised by "MiniMetro". I
mean, I get the /what/; I'm just not sure about the /why/. Did none of
the developers think to themselves, "sure, we can make this game...
but should we?" ;-)

But it's free and it's not /awful/ so I'm obligated to accept it into
my library.

Thanks for the notification, Ant.

Ant

Aug 4, 2022, 7:56:53 PM8/4/22
I forgot to mention that I briefly played this game from its free Steam
weekend a few years ago or so. It was actually fun online with others.

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 5, 2022, 12:13:13 AM8/5/22
On 8/4/2022 4:06 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2022 15:06:10 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>> http://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/unrailed-e19729
>
> Epic continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Well, they promised
> they'd keep the "free games every week" program running for all of
> 2022; they said nothing about the quality of those games ;-)
>
> (Okay, perhaps I'm being a bit unfair. It's got 'very positive'
> reviews on Steam, so obviously it has some fans. Still, it's a far cry
> from earlier releases on Epic, like "GTA5" or "Hitman 3" or "Metro:
> Last Light". And in truth, for everyone of those, Epic has always
> padded it out with four or five games like "Costume Quest" and
> "Defense Grid" or the "Kid Amnesia Exhibition".)
>
> Still, "Unrailed!" seems an odd one. It's like the bastard love-child
> of "Minecraft" and "Railroad Tycoon" that was raised by "MiniMetro". I
> mean, I get the /what/; I'm just not sure about the /why/. Did none of
> the developers think to themselves, "sure, we can make this game...
> but should we?" ;-)

They did and realized they had to so you could acquire another free
game! Just like you say below. :)

> But it's free and it's not /awful/ so I'm obligated to accept it into
> my library.
>
> Thanks for the notification, Ant.

dirty old man.

JAB

Aug 5, 2022, 4:12:20 AM8/5/22
On 05/08/2022 00:06, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2022 15:06:10 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>> http://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/unrailed-e19729
>
> Epic continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Well, they promised
> they'd keep the "free games every week" program running for all of
> 2022; they said nothing about the quality of those games ;-)
>
> (Okay, perhaps I'm being a bit unfair. It's got 'very positive'
> reviews on Steam, so obviously it has some fans. Still, it's a far cry
> from earlier releases on Epic, like "GTA5" or "Hitman 3" or "Metro:
> Last Light". And in truth, for everyone of those, Epic has always
> padded it out with four or five games like "Costume Quest" and
> "Defense Grid" or the "Kid Amnesia Exhibition".)

I have a slightly different view, at least from my experience with
Amazon Prime. I have practically zero interest in the 'big hitters' as I
will have heard of them and if I was interested in playing them, well I
would already have it in my library. The little games, yes there is a
lot of filler but there's also games I've very much enjoying playing and
I would probably have bought them if I had heard of them before.

Spalls Hurgenson

Aug 5, 2022, 1:40:53 PM8/5/22
On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 09:12:16 +0100, JAB <no...@nochance.com> wrote:

>I have a slightly different view, at least from my experience with
>Amazon Prime. I have practically zero interest in the 'big hitters' as I
>will have heard of them and if I was interested in playing them, well I
>would already have it in my library. The little games, yes there is a
>lot of filler but there's also games I've very much enjoying playing and
>I would probably have bought them if I had heard of them before.

I admire the Indie developers and am thrilled they exist; in an
industry where the triple-A publishers are so averse to risk, its the
Indies who push the envelope and experiment with new ideas. This does
have its downside, though; a lot of these new ideas either aren't very
good or - due to a lack of resources - aren't developed fully enough
for their potential to be realized. Add to that the general lack of
polish (again, due to a lack of resources) and Indie games tend to be
/very/ hit and miss. A lot of games are conceptually clever in concept
but absolute shit to play.

With triple-A games, the problem is less that you're going to get a
bad game, and more that it's going to be derivative pabulum. As much
as I bitch about how directionless and repetitive the "FarCry"
franchise (and, indeed, all of Ubisoft's open-world games) has become,
you are assured of a fairly solid playing experience. It's just that
it's the /same/ experience you've been having for the last twenty
years.

That, and too many Indie games revolve around their 'retro' graphics,
which I've absolutely no love for. There are a lot of classic games
from the 80s and 90s that I loved - and still love - but I loved them
/despite/ their limited graphics, not because of them. I've done my
time in (C/E/V)GA purgatory and I don't want to be dragged back,
thank-you-very-much. So any game that uses the retro style
automatically gets dinged for it, even if the rest of the game is
solid.

JAB

Aug 6, 2022, 6:08:30 AM8/6/22
Oh yeah there's lots of absolute rubbish that comes out of indie devs. I
look at it in much the same way as fast food chains, if I go into Micky
D's I know it's not going to be good but nor is it going to be bad but I
do know exactly what I'll be getting - that's triple-A games for you.