Info-IBMPC Digest V95 #180

Info-IBMPC Digest

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
Info-IBMPC Digest Fri, 1 Dec 95 Volume 95 : Issue 180

Today's Editor:
Gregory Hicks - San Jose, CA <GHI...@arl.mil>

Today's Topics:
Sanyo PC-AT 286 BIOS :>))
Re: Ultimail Lite Problems -Reply
Re: Volitile ROM BIOS ??
what diagnostic software (6 msgs)
Re: Windows Program Stopped Working... (3 msgs)
Re: Winos2/Warp Connect can't see DNS...why?
Re: [COMW] waring - only wrote xxx of xxxx bytes (5 msgs)
Re: WFW 3.11 Workstation
Re: Wyse 60 terminal emulation ?

Send replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-...@arl.mil>

For readers in the .MIL domain: Send requests of an administrative
nature (addition to, deletion from the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMP...@arl.mil>. For all others, please send
requests to join, or signoff from, the list to an IBMPC-L BITNET
LISTSERV.

Currently these LISTSERV's are at hosts vmd.cso.uiuc.edu,
hearn.nic.surfnet.nl, taunivm.tau.ac.il and uga.cc.uga.edu. There are
others...

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 06:15:44 -0800
From: PENNY HEASLIP <hea...@cariboo.bc.ca>
Subject: Sanyo PC-AT 286 BIOS :>))

Can anyone please provide any information on a ROM BIOS version
1.03(make is not identified),IO.sys version 1.03 being used in a Sanyo
PC-AT 286 computer ??

The model is MBC-16LX5,
and the serial # is 19701610.

I would like to know what the keyboard combination is to read/change
the BIOS settings. Another grandfather would like to be able to E-mail.
And YES, he bought his Sanyo new when he was just a young lad! Time to
also bury his DOS 3.3 !!

Thanks for any keyboard tips,
Penny Heaslip

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 19:14:07 +0000
From: Ken Sodemann <stu...@pcii.net>
Subject: Re: Ultimail Lite Problems -Reply

> If you get an answer to this nagging problem, make sure it is posted to
> the list.

I got a couple of replies. Both basically said the same thing, I tried
it and it worked great. Basically go to TCPIP\ETC\MQUEUE. This is
where all of the mail that you have written off line, and that is
waiting to be sent out is stored. If there are any files in there,
delete them, or move them (unless, of course, you just wrote some mail
offline, and actually want it to be sent out<g>).

Again, thanks to those who replied with the solution.

// Ken Sodemann
// Warped -- as usual
// stu...@pcii.net (CServe - 75474,255)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:04:59 +0000
From: Conor McCarthy <CON...@ollamh.ucd.ie>
Subject: Re: Volitile ROM BIOS ??

hi,
> The ROM BIOS is supposed to be permanent read only memory sitting
> at address FE00:0 .. FFFF:F.

usually it's 64KB starting at F0000h (ie F000:0000 - F000:FFFF) (but
you can check with MSDs memory map).

> So what I did was to calculate my own checksum of that area.

If you checksum the whole area, mostly you'll find the same number...
Most BIOS manufactures arrange this, since one of the POSTs is to
checksum the BIOS memory. Most simply use modulo addition. You could
probably use some shift/addition/increment checksum method of your own
to get an unique number.

> On newer 486 computers, the checksum seems to change occasionally,
> and my software becomes de-installed. I experimented with changes
> of the setup and with changes of the memory manager, but none affected
> the calculated checksum. I _did_ notice that, with emm386 in Windows,
> The ROM BIOS is switched away for the duration of an IO call.
>
> Any suggestions as to what causes the occational change of the
> ROM BIOS will be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you're not overshooting your checksum range into the high
memory area...

end of ROM: F000:FFFF or FFFF:000F
start of HMA: FFFF:0010

Stealth mode of certain memory managers can map out a ROM, then map
it in again when required. Usually by trapping all the valid entry
points into the ROM, and causing an exception when these locations are
accessed.

Conor.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 12:04:00 CST
From: Brian Gilbert <Gilb...@uvcenter-po.video.uiowa.edu>
Subject: what diagnostic software

Some recent discussion pointed out that MSD is not very capable. I
have to agree, it never finds my SCSI or NIC IRQs. Norton's sysinfo
isn't any better at this, and neither tell me much about DMAs, I/O base
or Mem base addresses.

What package covers these needs better? Is Norton Utilities better
than their Sysinfo routine? Any shareware to suggest?

-Brian

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:56:39 -0800
From: Keith Meidling <meid...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: what diagnostic software

There is a program out there, that worked for me about a year ago... I
haven't looked for an update here recently... The program is called
snooper... helps alot with IRQ's, DMA's, and especially Comm ports,
their IRQ, and speed...

Keith Meidling
meid...@ix.netcom.com

Everyone should pay their taxes with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted
cash

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 17:59:06 EST
From: Gregg Wardlaw <WAR...@uga.cc.uga.edu>

I just recently talked to a rep at Quarterdeck and they have some good
diagnostic software and have a special on WinProbe for 49.95.

Gregg Wardlaw
USDA-ARS SPRC
1420 Experiment Station Rd.
Watkinsville, GA 30677
Phone 706-769-5631

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 23:51:43 SLT
From: Solomon Peachy <F13U001%SAKSU00...@listserv.gmd.de>

> their Sysinfo routine? Any shareware to suggest?

Norton Diagnostics, bundled with NU 8.0 / NU Win'95 will detect
everything you got provided it is an active device. In other words,
make sure the drivers for the NIC are loaded as well as the SCSI
drivers.

It detects both of my Sound cards as well as my NIC.

Sysinfo leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Solomon Leon Peachy Internet: f13...@saksu00.bitnet
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (f13u001%saksu00...@vtbit.cc.vt.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:47:17 +0200
From: shef <sef...@doruk.com.tr>

You might want to try out QAPLAUS/FE.

SHEF

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:54:43 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET%MITVMA...@listserv.gmd.de>

I'm rather fond of snooper; it provides about as much info as other
programs, but much more concisely. However, it is no better than any
other I have tried (Norton, QA Plus, MSD) at reporting IRQs, DMAs and
i/o addresses. All these programs do well with COM ports, but not much
else. None of them has ever found my adaptors for SCSI, Bernoulli
boxes, Phillips CD-ROM, ethernet, or HardCard. Moreover, they all
report that my hard drive is using IRQ 14 even when I have explictly
moved the drive to another IRQ and used 14 for something else.

As disappointed as I am, I sympathise with the folks who attempt to
write such programs. I'm a bit fuzzy, but my understanding is that
IRQs etc. can't really be detected unless a device actually triggers
one. So diagnostic software would have to figure out how to get each
device to issue interrupts so the diagnostic could have something to
detect.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 10:40:42 EDT
From: Carl Wills <wil...@cs.lsl.litton.com>
Subject: Re: Windows Program Stopped Working...

<snip>

>> When I click on Windows seamless icon, it attempts to load PROGMAN.EXE
>> and fails, with no error message. Windows full-screen opens a
>> DOS box and runs WINOS2.COM without difficulties.
>>
>> I sure would like to figure this one out. Any ideas are welcome.
>
>You seem to be having problems similar to mine. Under 'normal'
>conditions Win-OS/2 sessions seem to hang - neither running or failing
>totally. I can only run a windows app if I do the following:
>1) have win-OS/2 fastload selected
>2) the Windows session has 'seperate session' set ON in the settings
>notebook.
>(seamless apps do not require seperate session, only PROGMAN.EXE)

<snip>
>Beyond slowing down the Boot; Fastload does not seem to be too much of
>a problem: anyway I am satisfied - but more than a little curious about
>the cause of the problems.

Hi guys -

I had the problem you both describe above too. However, the last time
I had it, I did a selective install for Win-OS2 support. This
corrected my problem and allowed me to run Windows programs without
Full Screen or Fast Load enabled.

Two earlier postings to this list suggested whenever a selective
install is performed to also re-install the Win-OS2 support at the same
time. I can't remember what I was doing at the times when I lost my
Win-OS2 support, but I will be paying close attention in the future to
see if I can tie the two together.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Regards-
Carl Wills

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:29:41 +0100
From: "Nathan L. Cutler" <lib...@ms.anet.cz>
Subject: Re: Windows Programs stopped working . . .

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Finlay Welsh wrote:

> If you run winos2 from a full screen dos prompt you get the message
>"unable to load os2mouse.drv" Run winos2 from dos prompt with a /B
>switch and the last line of the bootlog.txt file will read
>"LOADFAIL=MOUSE.DRV (or something similar). Check in mouse.ini if
>MouseType=the mouse you have, eg serial1.( In my case, even if this
>line is correct, winos2 doesn't run correctly.) There is an APAR for
>this - PJ16247 - still open. I got round it by changing the Settings
>notebooks for winos2 windowed and fullscreen to point to
>c:\windows\progman.exe which kind of worked. The only real solution
>I've found was to re-install Warp in its own partition formatted HPFS.
>That does the trick.

Dear Finlay,

Would you have any idea why Windows seamless sessions won't work with
this setup:

Cyrix 486/DX2-50
Vl-Bus motherboard
El Cheapo no-name video card set to VGA in OS/2
OS/2 purchased October 94 w/BonusPak
OS/2 installed on D: HPFS partition, "real" Windows installed on C:,
WIN-OS/2 points to the "real" Windows.
MOUSE.INI has mouse type set to Serial1
Windows full-screen sessions work perfectly

When I click on Windows seamless icon, it attempts to load PROGMAN.EXE
and fails, with no error message. Windows full-screen opens a DOS box
and runs WINOS2.COM without difficulties.

I sure would like to figure this one out. Any ideas are welcome.

Nathan L. Cutler
OS/2 enthusiast in Prague, Czech Republic
Would like to meet other OS/2 enthusiasts in my area
Email: lib...@ms.anet.cz -or- lib...@ssd.anet.cz

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 13:14:34 +0000
From: "N.H.Long" <N.H....@soton.ac.uk>

> Would you have any idea why Windows seamless sessions won't work with
> this setup:

Dear Nathan,

You seem to be having problems similar to mine. Under 'normal'
conditions Win-OS/2 sessions seem to hang - neither running or failing
totally. I can only run a windows app if I do the following:

1) have win-OS/2 fastload selected

2) the Windows session has 'seperate session' set ON in the settings
notebook. (seamless apps do not require seperate session, only
PROGMAN.EXE)

any other condition causes a hang, but if these two conditions are met
then all works 99.5% of the time. Explain that if you can, IBM! I
cannot say what exactly happens with full-screen windows as, if I try
it, the mouse does not work properly - and yes, it works PERFECTLY in
all other situations.

Beyond slowing down the Boot; Fastload does not seem to be too much of
a problem: anyway I am satisfied - but more than a little curious about
the cause of the problems.

Nigel H J Long, n...@southampton.ac.uk
The Hartley Library, University of Southampton, UK
"Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of the
University of Southampton, or any other member thereof"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 18:51:48 EST
From: "Ivan F. Martinez" <iv...@nutecnet.com.br>
Subject: Re: Winos2/Warp Connect can't see DNS...why?

>Hmmmm I just had to send a binary file to a friend who uses eudora. So
>I thought to my self.. hmmm if *I* used eudora too she whould get the
>file automatically unloaded and decoded. So I poped into winos2 fired
>it up and it could not find my pop. I changed the config to use direct
>addressing and it flew like a champ.

>What piece am I missing in my Winos2 setup to make the DNS work?

When you cannot IAK create a file named \MPTN\ETC\RESOLV on Warp
Connect or \TCPIP\ETC in Warp
Path pointed by ETC in environment
you must copy this file to \TCPIP\DOS\ETC
Path pointed by ETC in DOS environment

This file point to DNS Server.

Ivan F. Martinez
iv...@nutecnet.com.br

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:22:39 GMT
From: zol...@iastate.edu
Subject: Re: [COMW] waring - only wrote xxx of xxxx bytes

I have had lots of problems with this COMW warning. Finally, last
weekend I changed the MTU size from 1006 down to 900. (1006 is the
default for SLIP). All of a sudden, the transfers work reliably, even
for huge files (1 MB or larger).

I am running WARP with SLIP on a 14.4 kBaud voice/fax/modem.

I should say that the warnings are still there, but the largest packet
size is now below the maximum allowed size, therefore the warnings do
not cause any problems.

Thanks to whoever suggested to decrease my MTU size. It worked wonders.

* Stefan Zollner, Assistant Professor and Associate Physicist *
* Iowa State University/Ames Laboratory, A205 Physics, Ames, IA 50011 *
* zol...@iastate.edu Phone: (515) 294-7327 FAX: (515) 294-0689 *

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 05:56:27 GMT
From: jam...@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: [COMW] warning - only wrote xxx of xxxx bytes

q...@sonic.net (Mike Ireton) writes:
>Warren Hall (war...@borg.com@borg.com) wrote:
>: If your only AT command is &F1, you can almost bet you are not going
>:to get optimum throughput. Check the modem setup.

>: Confirm the various buffer sizes with your provider.

>: Very frequently, you will want to turn OFF compression on your
>:modem. Since the only large files are already zipped, there is
>:little to gain.

>I have to strongly disagree with this, Warren. It simply doesn't wash.

> On the USRobotics, the factory defaults &F1 enable everything.
>:ALL protocol negitioation, compression, error control, etc etc etc.
>:There's no reason at all to screw with any of those settings after
>:AT&F1 - it is optimal.

> The concept of turning compression OFF on the modem based on your
>assertion that only large files are already zipped, is (in my opinion)
>bogus as well - The reason I feel this way is due to the way the
>compression works: V.42bis will acheive UP TO 4:1 compression. If the
>data is not compressable, it still does not add any over head to the
>data stream. This is NOT the concept of "zipping" a .ZIP file (which
>WOULD make a bigger file, if ZIP were dumb enough to not check it's
>compression estimates periodically and give up gracefully when it
>discovers that it's fighting a losing battle).

>: The relatively :
>: small packets normally used on the net don't benefit from

>the additional 256 : bytes of translate table appended to each, and
>sometimes this throws off the : byte count at some sites. It is a
>server bug, but that's a subtle problem, and : few ISP's will confess
>to buggy s/w.

> And this I have no idea of what you could possibly be talking about
>- can you clarify this for me?

Hello,

I am the original poster. I have been following this thread, and all
the different recommendations. I want to first of all, thanks everyone
that has tried to help. As mentioned in my original post, I am using
warp connect (fullpack), only dial-up internet access (PPP), and I am
not connected to a LAN. I have an internal USR Sportster 28.8, and I
also have the latest ROM. I am using the SIO 1.53 drivers, and my ISP
uses USR Couriers.

I have tried all the suggestions that were posted:

1.Changing the mtu from 1500 to 1400, after connecting and verifying
that it was set to 1500.

2.Lowering the baudrate from 115200 to 57600 to 38400.

3.Disabling the error correction, and compression from my modem init
string.

4.Using the latest IBM com.sys driver.

5.Used a com port initialization command file in the startup folder.

6.Disabled VJ compression.

I have tried all the above individually, to no avail. I still can't
upload data, using my internet access, regardless of the ftp app I am
using. Although I can upload data problem free to my shell acoount,
using Halite for OS/2.

For those new to the problem, here is the scenerio:

I dial my provider, and connect most of the time with:
CONNECT 26400/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS.

My provider then issues me an IP address (it's dynamic).

When I try to upload data (FTP) I send anywhere from 10k bytes to
1.5 megs, then the internet apps hang, and I get the infamous [COMW]
error:

[COMW] warning - only wrote xxx of xxxx.

Then thats it, I have to hang up my connection.

Using iptrace -i ppp0, I notice that I am no longer sending packets.
Using PMLM (a utility that comes with the SIO 1.53 driver) to monitor
my com port, it displays the following before uploading data:

Real UART 16550A RTS CTS DTR DSR DCD ri rxoff Txoff

But right before the internet apps hang, and I get the [COMW] warning,
I notice that CTS drops right before I loose my connection.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 12:06:26 GMT
From: Don Foxx <df...@crocker.com>

Admittedly I have a different modem than you (Supra), but I've had
problems off and on with connections with two different providers,
initially using an initialization string provided by one one of them,
which I kept adding to in an effort to solve assorted and sundry
problems, until I wound up with a string as long as my arm. God knows I
might have even had conflicting modem commands strung together. I
finally scrapped it and went with "AT&F2" which is the string that sets
all the factory defaults for the Supra modems, and I've had the best
luck yet with this simple string. So I'd suggest going back to your
original modem defaults and see what happens.

Don

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 15:02:49 GMT
From: earthl...@earthlink.net

> Real UART 16550A RTS CTS DTR DSR DCD ri rxoff Txoff
>
>But right before the internet apps hang, and I get the [COMW] warning,
>I notice that CTS drops right before I loose my connection.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if you looked into this, but.... You see, I'm in the
IC business (integrated circuits that is) and I happen to know that all
16550's are not created equal.

Some of them have bugs in them and I suspect that it's not a modem
problem, but a com-port problem. You might check your serial adapter. A
while back I bought a multi I/O card that was made by a company called
SIIG. Everytime Warp tried to access that serial port it just froze up.
DOS stuff wasn't so picky, but it did blow up.

So, I tossed out that card and stuck different manufacturer's card in
and everything went great. I had tried everything else also and since
the SIIG card was new, I didn't suspect it.

Rudy Hartmann - Long Beach, California USA - rha...@earthlink.net
OS/2 Rules! Windows is a DOS Graphic Shell. Plain DOS is....well, dumb
My Personal Web Page - http://www.earthlink.net/~rhartma
My Company Web Page - http://www.excess.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 12:07:50 EST
From: Aron Eisenpress <AF...@cunyvm.cuny.edu>

I believe that the latest PPP update (from Retrieve Software Updates)
will fix your problem. (The actual fix is in inet.sys and is for APAR
PN68589 - Change Change send/receive buffer and segment sizes.) If you
have this fix in, then the INETVER command will show your INET.SYS
level is 2.07a.

-- Aron Eisenpress, City U of NY / Computing and Information Services
(AF...@CUNYVM.BITNET, or AF...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU on the Internet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 01:20:25 -0800
From: Keith Meidling <meid...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: WFW 3.11 Workstation

>Glen,
>
>You probably need a monochrome .RLE file for the windows logo.
>WIN.COM is just a boot loader plus the windows logo file. Your error
>is probably due to the color logo and monochrome adapter combination
>BUT this is all probably a moot point.....

>A quick peek at the WFW User's Guide (hint hint ;-} ) shows that WFW
>needs a minimum of 3 Meg of RAM to operate on a network.

I have some UNISYS 386 20MHz that I put on the network... With 4 Meg, I
could get them on the network, but that was about it... If I wanted to
run word, it is incredibly slow... We had to bump them up to 8 meg..

just my 2 cents worth...

Keith Meidling
meid...@ix.netcom.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 00:03:46 +0500
From: Rich Jacox <rja...@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Wyse 60 terminal emulation ?

||--- original letter with comments -----------------------------------------

|Does any one know of any OS/2 communciation package that provides Wyse
|60 terminal emulation? Commerical or shareware. If not a native OS/2
|product, Windows I guess would be okay. I have Softerm Classic for DOS
|but it uses <alt, esc> enough making it very hard to use under OS/2.

|Is there a way of disabling the toggling between task that <alt, esc>
|key combo performs with OS/2?

You can disable Alt+Esc. Open the settings notebook for the program
reference object for Softerm. Select Session, DOS Settings,
KBD_CTRL_BYPASS. Then select ALT_ESC from the listbox on the right of
the window.

Rich

/
\ Computer System Analyst, NSWC PHD ECO
/ Adjunct Faculty, Tidewater Community College
\ Team OS/2 Chesapeake, VA
/ * all opinions expressed are mine alone

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V95 #180