Amnesia

Edward D Lee

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing I
hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.

Edward D Lee
<edw...@smartlink.net>
Saugus, California, USA

Trixter / Hornet

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
In article <4193b6$f...@frodo.smartlink.net>,

Edward D Lee <edw...@smartlink.net> wrote:
>I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing I
>hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
>Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.

There was a program released that played just the music, without
needing the demo. Look on ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/music... I'm
pretty sure it's there. If not, can you upload it, Charles?
--
Jim Leonard (Trixter / Hornet) Email: tri...@mcs.com
Check out *THE* PC Demo WWW page: http://www.mcs.net/~trixter/html/demos.html

Trixter / Hornet

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
In article <41dmm3$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, L Kohli <lko...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing
>>>hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
>>>Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.
>>
>>There was a program released that played just the music, without
>>needing the demo. Look on ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/music... I'm
>>pretty sure it's there. If not, can you upload it, Charles?
>
>I had the same problem. I could run Amnesia on a 386sx/16, but not on a
>Pentium. I tried using that program that played the music, but it locked
>up my computer as well.... Any ideas?
>
>Luv Kohli / Empyrean

Not really... The music is in "670" format, which used both
8-channel mixing and 9-voice Adlib. Sounded *very nice* on a stock
SB. And it's also throughly unrippable, unless someone has the
tracker.

L Kohli

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95

Edward D Lee

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
>There was a program released that played just the music, without
>needing the demo. Look on ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/music... I'm
>pretty sure it's there. If not, can you upload it, Charles?

Do you know the filename? Or the name of the program?

Kvantti Piikkisika

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
On 21 Aug 1995, Edward D Lee wrote:

> I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing I
> hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
> Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.

Speaking of which, I've never been able to see Amnesia since it says that
it needs 640k of memory without EMM386 or QEMM running, not accounting
for the fact that you can't get 640k *without* QEMM running in the first
place!!!

How did you do it? :)

QP

Kvantti Piikkisika

Aug 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/24/95
On 22 Aug 1995, Trixter / Hornet wrote:

> >>There was a program released that played just the music, without
> >>needing the demo. Look on ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/music... I'm
> >>pretty sure it's there. If not, can you upload it, Charles?
> >

> >I had the same problem. I could run Amnesia on a 386sx/16, but not on a
> >Pentium. I tried using that program that played the music, but it locked
> >up my computer as well.... Any ideas?
> >
> >Luv Kohli / Empyrean
>

> Not really... The music is in "670" format, which used both
> 8-channel mixing and 9-voice Adlib. Sounded *very nice* on a stock
> SB. And it's also throughly unrippable, unless someone has the
> tracker.

Hmmm... the S3M format originally had that sort of support too... too bad
nobody used it except for writing BBS-intro tunes... :/ (And at that,
only PM and Skaven used it for FC's little, now outdated, StarPort intros...)

QP

S Colacino

Aug 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/25/95
Trixter / Hornet (tri...@MCS.COM) wrote:
: >>>I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing
: >>>hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
: >>>Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.
: >>There was a program released that played just the music, without
: >>needing the demo. Look on ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/music... I'm
: >>pretty sure it's there. If not, can you upload it, Charles?

She is there, alright.

: >I had the same problem. I could run Amnesia on a 386sx/16, but not on a

: >Pentium. I tried using that program that played the music, but it locked
: >up my computer as well.... Any ideas?

: Not really... The music is in "670" format, which used both

: 8-channel mixing and 9-voice Adlib. Sounded *very nice* on a stock
: SB. And it's also throughly unrippable, unless someone has the
: tracker.

Hmm.. too bad it's unplayable on a GUS. :)

(Hmm.. SBOS might work.)

I dunno, I might write a Pentium emulator for a Pentium just to rip the
music. :)

Funny, how everybody says GUS rules, yet people miss Amnesia so.
(I really should write that emulator. Any help from anyone? :)

: --

: Jim Leonard (Trixter / Hornet) Email: tri...@mcs.com
: Check out *THE* PC Demo WWW page: http://www.mcs.net/~trixter/html/demos.html
: "Thump-thump, good; *endless* thump-thump, bad." -- Me during NAID music compo
: Make A Computer easy enough for a fool to use, and only fools will use it!

HEAR IT FOR WIN 95! WHAT WILL MAKE GATES A TRILLIONAIRE!

<not>

Mr. P / Power Source
"Guns don't kill people, idiots kill people. So don't register guns,
register idiots! I'm registered!"

S Colacino

Aug 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/25/95
Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
: > I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing I
: > hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
: > Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.
: Speaking of which, I've never been able to see Amnesia since it says that
: it needs 640k of memory without EMM386 or QEMM running, not accounting
: for the fact that you can't get 640k *without* QEMM running in the first
: place!!!
: How did you do it? :)

Yo Kvantti! er, thats not your name is it? :)
ok, I'll just call you self-depreciating American :)

anyhow, on my SB16 (crappy hardware, but tell me if a GUS can run Amnesia
decently, OK!? no flames to this one please :) I can run Amnesia under
HIMEM with 580-600k. Works really nicely. Just that "VR" hangs on me
every now and then. :)

Kvantti Piikkisika

Aug 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/25/95
On 25 Aug 1995, S Colacino wrote:

> Trixter / Hornet (tri...@MCS.COM) wrote:
> : >>>I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing

> : >>>hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
> : >>>Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.

> : >>There was a program released that played just the music, without
> : >>needing the demo. Look on ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/music... I'm
> : >>pretty sure it's there. If not, can you upload it, Charles?
>
> She is there, alright.
>
> : >I had the same problem. I could run Amnesia on a 386sx/16, but not on a
> : >Pentium. I tried using that program that played the music, but it locked
> : >up my computer as well.... Any ideas?
> : Not really... The music is in "670" format, which used both
> : 8-channel mixing and 9-voice Adlib. Sounded *very nice* on a stock
> : SB. And it's also throughly unrippable, unless someone has the
> : tracker.
>
> Hmm.. too bad it's unplayable on a GUS. :)

That's why use the GUS ACE as an addon to the PAS16. :)

> (Hmm.. SBOS might work.)

Nah... that would suck...

> I dunno, I might write a Pentium emulator for a Pentium just to rip the
> music. :)
>
> Funny, how everybody says GUS rules, yet people miss Amnesia so.
> (I really should write that emulator. Any help from anyone? :)

I never saw Amnesia, so I have no idea how much I should miss it. :)

> : --
> : Jim Leonard (Trixter / Hornet) Email: tri...@mcs.com
> : Check out *THE* PC Demo WWW page: http://www.mcs.net/~trixter/html/demos.html
> : "Thump-thump, good; *endless* thump-thump, bad." -- Me during NAID music compo
> : Make A Computer easy enough for a fool to use, and only fools will use it!
>
> HEAR IT FOR WIN 95! WHAT WILL MAKE GATES A TRILLIONAIRE!

fuck... then he could pay off a small fraction of the US National Debt...

> <not>
>
> Mr. P / Power Source
> "Guns don't kill people, idiots kill people. So don't register guns,
> register idiots! I'm registered!"

That's a good quote there.. :)

Now everyone marvel at my .sig. :)

-----------------\------------------------------------------------------------
Quantum Porcupine \-\ People kept on telling me to get on with it and write
a.k.a. Joshua Shagam > my damn .sig file. Well I finally got around to it
jsh...@nmsu.edu /--/ since I finally got SIG of it all.
----------------/-------------------------------------------------------------
Missing Link / Puuttuva Lenkki

Kvantti Piikkisika

Aug 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/25/95
On 25 Aug 1995, S Colacino wrote:

> Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
> : > I used to own a 386SX, but I sold it and now have a Pentium. One thing I

> : > hate is that I can't run Amnesia. Could someone rip the music from
> : > Amnesia and post it? I miss the music! Thanks.

> : Speaking of which, I've never been able to see Amnesia since it says that
> : it needs 640k of memory without EMM386 or QEMM running, not accounting
> : for the fact that you can't get 640k *without* QEMM running in the first
> : place!!!
> : How did you do it? :)
>
> Yo Kvantti! er, thats not your name is it? :)
> ok, I'll just call you self-depreciating American :)

See my sig. :)

> anyhow, on my SB16 (crappy hardware, but tell me if a GUS can run Amnesia
> decently, OK!? no flames to this one please :) I can run Amnesia under
> HIMEM with 580-600k. Works really nicely. Just that "VR" hangs on me
> every now and then. :)

Hmmm... well the problem I've had (where it says 640 000 bytes needed to
run this demo) is prolly because Tran's older PMODE doesn't want to kick
my AMD 486 DX4/100 into protmode, and so it's not seeing quite as much
memory as it needs...

-----------------\------------------------------------------------------------
Quantum Porcupine \-\ People kept on telling me to get on with it and write
a.k.a. Joshua Shagam > my damn .sig file. Well I finally got around to it
jsh...@nmsu.edu /--/ since I finally got SIG of it all.
----------------/-------------------------------------------------------------
Missing Link / Puuttuva Lenkki

Brief explanation for the .sig: "SIG of it all" is a pun on "sick of it
all." Missing Link was just because when I put that cool curvy dividor
line I thought it looked like a puzzle piece, and although this sounds
hubristic I was also referring to myself wanting to emmigrate to Finland
in a sort of a way. :)

Oh, if anyone has a better translation for Missing in this connotation,
PLEASE tell me!

Charles Scheffold

Aug 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/26/95
Well, I see Amnesia seems to be getting alot of attention once again. I
guess it is time for the usual post ;)

Amnesia was created before anybody knew anything about protected mode, DPMI,
VCPI, blah blah blah. It most likely, almost definitely, will not work on
most PCs people have today. I hope to one day have the time to convert it so
that it will work, but that is probably not going to happen. So, if you are
really in the mood for something fun from the past, drag out your old 386/SX
and SB 1.0 from the closet, grab some popcorn and turn off the lights.

S Colacino

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95
Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
: Well, I see Amnesia seems to be getting alot of attention once again. I

: guess it is time for the usual post ;)

Usual post. hmm. Looks to me like Amnesia still attracts more attention
than 2ndReal+Unreal+Verses+MSRules does. :)

(MSrules.. hmm.. maybe the guys who created it should go on to make a
Win95 update of it.. yeah!!!)

: Amnesia was created before anybody knew anything about protected mode, DPMI,

: VCPI, blah blah blah. It most likely, almost definitely, will not work on
: most PCs people have today. I hope to one day have the time to convert it so

Funny.. it works on my DX2/66... very nicely. It also seems to work on
that new P133 we have sitting next to the DX2/66 :)

(well, it doesn't eat up much space, so it'll stay for quite awhile :)

: that it will work, but that is probably not going to happen. So, if you are

What.. hmm.. you mean you guys actually *still* have the code around?

hmm.. naah :) I still remember Tran's old VR part release... =)

: really in the mood for something fun from the past, drag out your old 386/SX

: and SB 1.0 from the closet, grab some popcorn and turn off the lights.

Remind me some year to finish that 386 emulator (for 386's :).
(Yeah, I know you told me that Amnesia is super-low-level and can't be
debugged and sh*t.. but still.. it's worth trying, after all it was
written under CODE32 right? :)

Mr. P / Power Source

Snapple King

Kvantti Piikkisika

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95
On 4 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:

> Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
> : Well, I see Amnesia seems to be getting alot of attention once again. I
> : guess it is time for the usual post ;)
>
> Usual post. hmm. Looks to me like Amnesia still attracts more attention
> than 2ndReal+Unreal+Verses+MSRules does. :)

I wouldn't know, as I've never gotten to see it... and I DL'ed the source
to one part of it only to find that about 75% of its code is missing (not
even Tran himself has any of it anymore)... could someone, like,
videotape it (using VGA->NTSC of course :) and then mail it to me or
something? :) Or I could always find someone's lowly old 386 somewhere
(hell, I'll wait for my neighbor to buy this 386 notebook he's been eying
lately)...

> (MSrules.. hmm.. maybe the guys who created it should go on to make a
> Win95 update of it.. yeah!!!)

That would be good. :)

> : Amnesia was created before anybody knew anything about protected mode, DPMI,
> : VCPI, blah blah blah. It most likely, almost definitely, will not work on
> : most PCs people have today. I hope to one day have the time to convert it so
>
> Funny.. it works on my DX2/66... very nicely. It also seems to work on
> that new P133 we have sitting next to the DX2/66 :)

Hmmm... won't run on a DX4/100, won't run on a NexGen NX'586-90 (of
course, what kludges do?! :) and AFAIK, nobody in what was Renaissance
has the ability to recompile with new PMode, since as I said above,
around 75% of its code is COMPLETELY missing.

> (well, it doesn't eat up much space, so it'll stay for quite awhile :)
>
> : that it will work, but that is probably not going to happen. So, if you are
>
> What.. hmm.. you mean you guys actually *still* have the code around?
>
> hmm.. naah :) I still remember Tran's old VR part release... =)

You can download the source to that in... let's see...
ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos/source/demosrc. Can't remember the filename, but
all it was was an impressive-looking piece of assembler which had tons of
comments saying that it'll never compile again, etc. etc.

> : really in the mood for something fun from the past, drag out your old 386/SX
> : and SB 1.0 from the closet, grab some popcorn and turn off the lights.
>
> Remind me some year to finish that 386 emulator (for 386's :).
> (Yeah, I know you told me that Amnesia is super-low-level and can't be
> debugged and sh*t.. but still.. it's worth trying, after all it was
> written under CODE32 right? :)

Oh, you're writing a program to emulate an Intel 386 on an AMD 386? :)
That would be nice... (My AMD 486 is flawless though... Intel's most
rigorous diagnostics find it to be a genuine Intel i486DX33 - running at
100mHz :)

> Mr. P / Power Source
> Snapple King

Hey, could you send me some snapple? I'm rilly thirsty.. :)

S Colacino

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:

: On 4 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:
: > Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
: > : Well, I see Amnesia seems to be getting alot of attention once again. I
: > : guess it is time for the usual post ;)
: > Usual post. hmm. Looks to me like Amnesia still attracts more attention
: > than 2ndReal+Unreal+Verses+MSRules does. :)
: I wouldn't know, as I've never gotten to see it... and I DL'ed the source

Awww.. pity you. Its a real relaxant, besides things like sledgehammers,
that is. :)

: to one part of it only to find that about 75% of its code is missing (not

: even Tran himself has any of it anymore)... could someone, like,

Yeah.. thats too bad. Enter the 386, SB simulator. :)
(there ARE times I am glad I shelled out for that SB16 instead of that GUS..
very rarely, but Amnesia is one of them. Good thing it works with SBOS tho..)

: videotape it (using VGA->NTSC of course :) and then mail it to me or

VGA->NTSC.. get me a card and I'd be glad to do it for you. Hell, I'd be
glad to do it for MYSELF. :)

: something? :) Or I could always find someone's lowly old 386 somewhere

: (hell, I'll wait for my neighbor to buy this 386 notebook he's been eying
: lately)...

don't! NONONO! do NOT run it on a notebook! well, maybe if it's TFT color
and has a SB embedded in it...

: > (MSrules.. hmm.. maybe the guys who created it should go on to make a

: > Win95 update of it.. yeah!!!)
: That would be good. :)

Yeah.. make it so it will NOT run under windows or win95... :)

: > : Amnesia was created before anybody knew anything about protected mode, DPMI,
: > : VCPI, blah blah blah. It most likely, almost definitely, will not work on
: > : most PCs people have today. I hope to one day have the time to convert it so
: > Funny.. it works on my DX2/66... very nicely. It also seems to work on
: > that new P133 we have sitting next to the DX2/66 :)
: Hmmm... won't run on a DX4/100, won't run on a NexGen NX'586-90 (of
: course, what kludges do?! :) and AFAIK, nobody in what was Renaissance
: has the ability to recompile with new PMode, since as I said above,
: around 75% of its code is COMPLETELY missing.

And the other 25% shall never compile again.

sheesh.
all I wanted were the nice 670s that are sitting in it. :)

: > : that it will work, but that is probably not going to happen. So, if you are
: > What.. hmm.. you mean you guys actually *still* have the code around?
: > hmm.. naah :) I still remember Tran's old VR part release... =)
: You can download the source to that in... let's see...
: ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos/source/demosrc. Can't remember the filename, but
: all it was was an impressive-looking piece of assembler which had tons of
: comments saying that it'll never compile again, etc. etc.

Impressive!? IMPRESSIVE!?

I couldn't read it! Well, I can't read sh*t right now. :)

: > : really in the mood for something fun from the past, drag out your old 386/SX

: > : and SB 1.0 from the closet, grab some popcorn and turn off the lights.
: > Remind me some year to finish that 386 emulator (for 386's :).
: > (Yeah, I know you told me that Amnesia is super-low-level and can't be
: > debugged and sh*t.. but still.. it's worth trying, after all it was
: > written under CODE32 right? :)
: Oh, you're writing a program to emulate an Intel 386 on an AMD 386? :)
: That would be nice... (My AMD 486 is flawless though... Intel's most
: rigorous diagnostics find it to be a genuine Intel i486DX33 - running at
: 100mHz :)

Nope.. this is an Intel 386 simulator.. for 386s, 486s, Pentiums... :)
nah, seriously, ALL OPCODES CAN BE EMULATED woohoo!!! they must be
emulated for the purpose of simulating mode switches!! :)

Its a LOT HARDER than it sounds, believe me.
(easier than creating .. ahem.. a SNES emulator, though.. and I have the
CPU bit working already :)

: > Mr. P / Power Source
: > Snapple King
: Hey, could you send me some snapple? I'm rilly thirsty.. :)

Sorry.. finished all the Melonberry.. 24 bottles in one hour is my
record. :)

Got some of "Hugh Grant's Backseat", though. :)
[watch Letterman?]

: -----------------\------------------------------------------------------------

: Quantum Porcupine \-\ People kept on telling me to get on with it and write
: a.k.a. Joshua Shagam > my damn .sig file. Well I finally got around to it
: jsh...@nmsu.edu /--/ since I finally got SIG of it all.
: ----------------/-------------------------------------------------------------
: Missing Link / Puuttuva Lenkki

Hmm.. I'll make you a deal. You teach me finnish, I'll send you a
hijacked Snapple truck. Howaboutit? :)

Mr. P / Power Source

m...@spartan.pei.edu

Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads....

Charles Scheffold

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
: Hmmm... won't run on a DX4/100, won't run on a NexGen NX'586-90 (of
: course, what kludges do?! :) and AFAIK, nobody in what was Renaissance
: has the ability to recompile with new PMode, since as I said above,
: around 75% of its code is COMPLETELY missing.

How can you make such a lame statement? Does it make you feel cool? Since
when are you the expert on Amnesia? I REALLY hate when people spread lame
rumors like this one. I happen to have all of the source. The full source was
never released. There was only one piece of code released to someone and they
went and spread it. It was by no means complete.

The code is not so simple that it can just be recompiled using the new
PMODE. It requires a good deal of conversion, which right now is not quite
on the list of priorities. Maybe one day I will get around to it, but don't
expect anything soon.

: You can download the source to that in... let's see...
: ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos/source/demosrc. Can't remember the filename, but
: all it was was an impressive-looking piece of assembler which had tons of
: comments saying that it'll never compile again, etc. etc.

It was only the 3D source and it was released AGES ago... Not much use to
anyone now. Besides, it was never officially spread. Somebody gave it out
publicly besides us.

Later...

S Colacino

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:

: Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
: : Hmmm... won't run on a DX4/100, won't run on a NexGen NX'586-90 (of
: : course, what kludges do?! :) and AFAIK, nobody in what was Renaissance
: : has the ability to recompile with new PMode, since as I said above,
: : around 75% of its code is COMPLETELY missing.
: How can you make such a lame statement? Does it make you feel cool? Since
: when are you the expert on Amnesia? I REALLY hate when people spread lame
: rumors like this one. I happen to have all of the source. The full source was
: never released. There was only one piece of code released to someone and they
: went and spread it. It was by no means complete.

Sorry.. sheesh.. go get the VR source and see what it says..

(I mean, it was written by "Tran", right?? :)

So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)

: The code is not so simple that it can just be recompiled using the new

: PMODE. It requires a good deal of conversion, which right now is not quite
: on the list of priorities. Maybe one day I will get around to it, but don't
: expect anything soon.

Super-hyper-ultra-low-level-SB-routines... didn't seem too hard, but if
you can't get it one way...

: : You can download the source to that in... let's see...

: : ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos/source/demosrc. Can't remember the filename, but
: : all it was was an impressive-looking piece of assembler which had tons of
: : comments saying that it'll never compile again, etc. etc.
: It was only the 3D source and it was released AGES ago... Not much use to
: anyone now. Besides, it was never officially spread. Somebody gave it out
: publicly besides us.

Weird.. ok, so we got suckered by a lamer. :)

At least tell me the 670 format :)
or a player
I'm convinced they're encrypted in some way...

Mr. P / Power Source
m...@spartan.pei.edu

"Amnesia hath come, Amnesia hath arrived..."
-- YOU (this better had worked)
(it still won't run on this 386/33 :( good thing it works on the P133 tho :)

(Jare/Iguana)

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
In article <42fk3h$1...@tribune.usask.ca>, cola...@duke.usask.ca (S Colacino) writes:

>: Amnesia was created before anybody knew anything about protected mode, DPMI,
>: VCPI, blah blah blah. It most likely, almost definitely, will not work on
>: most PCs people have today. I hope to one day have the time to convert it so
>
>Funny.. it works on my DX2/66... very nicely. It also seems to work on
>that new P133 we have sitting next to the DX2/66 :)

Just to try it, could you tell me the settings of your PC that could relate
to pmode stuff (like A20 Gate Switch Mode or such stuff?). I still don't
despair to watch it again. :)

Seeyanara Jare/Iguana/VangeliSTeam

VangeliSTeam Internet address: jare...@dit.upm.es (JCAB)
Iguana Internet address: ja...@iguana.dit.upm.es (Jare)
Don't despair if you don't get an answer. We don't read much mail.

Dudle Eirich

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
: The code is not so simple that it can just be recompiled using the new
: PMODE. It requires a good deal of conversion, which right now is not quite
: on the list of priorities. Maybe one day I will get around to it, but don't
: expect anything soon.
Well, maybe you could release the complete source, and someone else could
modify it for PMODE v.2.5 or something. It'd be quite painless.

[vecna]

Ryan Korniloff

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
: So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)

Hmm.. Wasn't it 669, not 670? I'm assuming you're talking about the music
(mod) format..

I think the discussion of Amnesia brings up a point about what makes a
GOOD demo. Shit it's, what, almost 3 YEARS old now and people STILL like
the demo (like myself) even thought the graphics/code/musik show signs of
aging. It's nice to see that there are still a lot of people who aren't
hung up on the latest K-RAD kode that produce totally awesome grafix with
the latest house/techno soundtrax.

It's the uniqueness of the demo and it's music and the way it was put
together that make it an enjoyable experience. And that's what's REALLY
important about demos to the audiance - that it's an enjoyable
experiance. A point I was trying to get across not too long ago about the
Dope demo. People were complaining that it wasn't original enough or it
wasn't this or it wasn't that.. Hay.. I thought it was a neet demo with
some cool music - I LIKED IT! Whaddaya bitchin' about?? I just think some
people knit-pick just a little too much sometimes.

-- Ryan Korniloff
-- rkor...@nyx10.cs.du.edu

S Colacino

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
Ryan Korniloff (rkor...@nyx10.cs.du.edu) wrote:
: : So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)

: Hmm.. Wasn't it 669, not 670? I'm assuming you're talking about the music
: (mod) format..

669 was the 8channel format. Tran created 670s after realizing "that you
had a good FM chip on that card, why waste it?"

Anyhow, he never released any docs on playing them, and it seems nobody
can understand their format.. he did release players in the form of music
disks and the one in "Black Glass ]["...

: I think the discussion of Amnesia brings up a point about what makes a

: GOOD demo. Shit it's, what, almost 3 YEARS old now and people STILL like
: the demo (like myself) even thought the graphics/code/musik show signs of
: aging. It's nice to see that there are still a lot of people who aren't
: hung up on the latest K-RAD kode that produce totally awesome grafix with
: the latest house/techno soundtrax.

Its VERY VERY aged.. but the fact that it's one of the few demos that
make you RELAX instead of SWEAT (2nd Reality comes to mind).. and that it
also has stood the test of time.

: It's the uniqueness of the demo and it's music and the way it was put

: together that make it an enjoyable experience. And that's what's REALLY
: important about demos to the audiance - that it's an enjoyable
: experiance. A point I was trying to get across not too long ago about the
: Dope demo. People were complaining that it wasn't original enough or it
: wasn't this or it wasn't that.. Hay.. I thought it was a neet demo with
: some cool music - I LIKED IT! Whaddaya bitchin' about?? I just think some
: people knit-pick just a little too much sometimes.

Yeah.. design design design.. Amnesia had tons of black screens. NOBODY
cares. It's still very enjoyable. (this in response to the "a good demo
should have NO black screens"... I think I'll dream up nice names for
them so that they're not entirely black :) how does "env mapping in the
ethereal void" sound? :)

Mr. P / Power Source
m...@spartan.pei.edu

Overheard in Law 30:
"OLD?? WHADDYA MEAN OLD?? IF YOU SAY THIS GUY IS 60 TO 70, HE'S MY AGE!"
"oh.. ok, he was 80 then..."

Trixter / Hornet

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950904210721.21259G-100000@verdi>,

Kvantti Piikkisika <jsh...@nmsu.edu> wrote:
>Hmmm... won't run on a DX4/100, won't run on a NexGen NX'586-90 (of
>course, what kludges do?! :) and AFAIK, nobody in what was Renaissance
>has the ability to recompile with new PMode, since as I said above,
>around 75% of its code is COMPLETELY missing.

My goodness, you jump to conclusions! He never released all of
it--*just* the VR part. I'm sure they have all of it somewhere
(unlike Future Crew with Panic).

S Colacino

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
(Jare/Iguana) (a88...@zipi.fi.upm.es) wrote:

: In article <42fk3h$1...@tribune.usask.ca>, cola...@duke.usask.ca (S Colacino) writes:
: >: Amnesia was created before anybody knew anything about protected mode, DPMI,
: >: VCPI, blah blah blah. It most likely, almost definitely, will not work on
: >: most PCs people have today. I hope to one day have the time to convert it so
: >Funny.. it works on my DX2/66... very nicely. It also seems to work on
: >that new P133 we have sitting next to the DX2/66 :)
: Just to try it, could you tell me the settings of your PC that could relate
: to pmode stuff (like A20 Gate Switch Mode or such stuff?). I still don't
: despair to watch it again. :)

OK..
memory: 3-2-2-2
blabla whoops..

Actually, try disabling cache if it doesn't run. (!)
NO, seriously. Otherwise, all BIOSes have different names. I didn't even
change a thing. :)

Kvantti Piikkisika

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Charles Scheffold wrote:

> Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
> : Hmmm... won't run on a DX4/100, won't run on a NexGen NX'586-90 (of
> : course, what kludges do?! :) and AFAIK, nobody in what was Renaissance
> : has the ability to recompile with new PMode, since as I said above,
> : around 75% of its code is COMPLETELY missing.
>

> How can you make such a lame statement? Does it make you feel cool? Since
> when are you the expert on Amnesia? I REALLY hate when people spread lame
> rumors like this one. I happen to have all of the source. The full source was
> never released. There was only one piece of code released to someone and they
> went and spread it. It was by no means complete.

I wasn't making rumours, this was according to the text which came
with the vr part sourcecode. I had actually read the text and that's
what I thought it said, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

> The code is not so simple that it can just be recompiled using the new
> PMODE. It requires a good deal of conversion, which right now is not quite
> on the list of priorities. Maybe one day I will get around to it, but don't
> expect anything soon.

Okay then, please do someday. I guess I was mistaken or something
then... I apologize in any case.

> : You can download the source to that in... let's see...
> : ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos/source/demosrc. Can't remember the filename, but
> : all it was was an impressive-looking piece of assembler which had tons of
> : comments saying that it'll never compile again, etc. etc.
>
> It was only the 3D source and it was released AGES ago... Not much use to
> anyone now. Besides, it was never officially spread. Somebody gave it out
> publicly besides us.

Oh I see. So it was some other lame rumor which led to my major
misconception. Sorry about that.

> Later...

Charles Scheffold

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
S Colacino (cola...@duke.usask.ca) wrote:
: Sorry.. sheesh.. go get the VR source and see what it says..

: (I mean, it was written by "Tran", right?? :)

Well, he wrote that source but I am fairly certain he did not write anything
about losing the source.

: So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)

They will not do you any good ;)

: Weird.. ok, so we got suckered by a lamer. :)

: At least tell me the 670 format :)
: or a player
: I'm convinced they're encrypted in some way...

They are not encrypted. They are simply a really stripped down file format.
They do not include any sample names or any junk like that. The only format
doc is in Tran's brain. So, forget about trying to get that ;)

Trixter / Hornet

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
In article <42jith$3...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>,

Ryan Korniloff <rkor...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>: So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)
>
>Hmm.. Wasn't it 669, not 670? I'm assuming you're talking about the music
>(mod) format..

Actually, it *was* a "670" format. It had 4 digital channels for
SB and 9 Adlib channels, playing at the same time. I just listened
to it again after three years, and I'm surprised at how good the
quality is for SB... I remember attemtping to code it once, but I
was too crappy a coder at the time.

>wasn't this or it wasn't that.. Hay.. I thought it was a neet demo with
>some cool music - I LIKED IT! Whaddaya bitchin' about?? I just think some
>people knit-pick just a little too much sometimes.

I couldn't agree more. Someone famous in the scene just emailed
me with all the crap that's been going around in this newsgroup
with "the world must surely be coming to an end." I agree with
him, sadly.

S Colacino

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:

: S Colacino (cola...@duke.usask.ca) wrote:
: : Sorry.. sheesh.. go get the VR source and see what it says..
: : (I mean, it was written by "Tran", right?? :)
: Well, he wrote that source but I am fairly certain he did not write anything
: about losing the source.

Hmm.. I took another look at it. Looks to me like my mind took it a few
steps farther than it meant to be. :)

: : So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)
: They will not do you any good ;)

Yeah? I have.. lets see.. 4 different 670 players here. All
Renaissance-created, of course.

Anyhow, it's always worth a shot. :P

: : Weird.. ok, so we got suckered by a lamer. :)

: : At least tell me the 670 format :)
: : or a player
: : I'm convinced they're encrypted in some way...
: They are not encrypted. They are simply a really stripped down file format.
: They do not include any sample names or any junk like that. The only format
: doc is in Tran's brain. So, forget about trying to get that ;)

I doubt it's there anymore. I'd expect you have the music player source,
though. It's not too hard to synthesize it from that. :)

Mr. P / Power Source
m...@spartan.pei.edu

You know the best place to find money? In your trashcan! I found $2000 in
mine yesterday.

iCE Staff

Sep 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/8/95
>Hmm.. Wasn't it 669, not 670? I'm assuming you're talking about the music
>(mod) format..

Nahh, 670. It's like a 669 + AdLib channels. Really neat for doing mellow
stuff (ie. right up kenny and ray's alley.)

>It's the uniqueness of the demo and it's music and the way it was put
>together that make it an enjoyable experience. And that's what's REALLY
>important about demos to the audiance - that it's an enjoyable
>experiance. A point I was trying to get across not too long ago about the
>Dope demo. People were complaining that it wasn't original enough or it

>wasn't this or it wasn't that.. Hay.. I thought it was a neet demo with
>some cool music - I LIKED IT! Whaddaya bitchin' about?? I just think some
>people knit-pick just a little too much sometimes.

Amnesia is an excellent demo. It was the second one I ever got. It's
impressive, varied, and enjoyable - the only negative part was the long
scrollers, but those aren't that bad.

And no offense, charles, but I hated your poem in that scroller. =)

-FT
--
Friar Tuck | "Politics and Crime.. they're the same thing."
iCE Senior Staff | - Mario Puzo, Michael Corleone, "The Godfather III"

Kvantti Piikkisika

Sep 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/8/95
On 7 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:

> Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
> : S Colacino (cola...@duke.usask.ca) wrote:
> : : Sorry.. sheesh.. go get the VR source and see what it says..
> : : (I mean, it was written by "Tran", right?? :)
> : Well, he wrote that source but I am fairly certain he did not write anything
> : about losing the source.
>
> Hmm.. I took another look at it. Looks to me like my mind took it a few
> steps farther than it meant to be. :)

It's the fault of the guy who released the source to it... he was
creating rumours which bred and festered in our impressionable little
minds. :)

> : : So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)
> : They will not do you any good ;)
>
> Yeah? I have.. lets see.. 4 different 670 players here. All
> Renaissance-created, of course.
>
> Anyhow, it's always worth a shot. :P

Hmmm... :)

> : : Weird.. ok, so we got suckered by a lamer. :)
> : : At least tell me the 670 format :)
> : : or a player
> : : I'm convinced they're encrypted in some way...
> : They are not encrypted. They are simply a really stripped down file format.
> : They do not include any sample names or any junk like that. The only format
> : doc is in Tran's brain. So, forget about trying to get that ;)
>
> I doubt it's there anymore. I'd expect you have the music player source,
> though. It's not too hard to synthesize it from that. :)
>
> Mr. P / Power Source
> m...@spartan.pei.edu
>
> You know the best place to find money? In your trashcan! I found $2000 in
> mine yesterday.

Wow... what kind of neighbors do you have? and what cartel affiliations
are they in? :)

S Colacino

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
: iCE Staff (fr...@netcom.com) wrote:
: : And no offense, charles, but I hated your poem in that scroller. =)
: Bahh.... the girlfriend liked it.. and that is all that counts... if you
: know what I mean ;)

the demo still runs on my machine. Maybe I should enlighten everybody
else? =)

"Away from your troubles, Away from your pains...
Step into a world where it never rains...
"
:)

Mr. P / Power Source

m...@fish.share.net
ac...@198.169.128.1 (ok, you can type broadway.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca)

Win95 definitions: "32-bit" = incorrect grammar version of the amount of
disk space you have left after installing Win95 on a 250meg HD.

Charles Scheffold

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95

S Colacino

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
Sorry for being such a pain, but will_you_teach_me_finnish? I need a 5th
language to complete the entire second page on my resume. :)

Actually, a book/tape/person/confused Swed<er,
whatdoyoucallpeoplefromSweden? Swedinards?>/textfile would help. NO, not
the one from gopher.funet.fi please. oh great Kvantti Silli... =)
<all misspellings are intentional>

Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:

: On 7 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:
: > Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
: > : S Colacino (cola...@duke.usask.ca) wrote:
: > : : Sorry.. sheesh.. go get the VR source and see what it says..
: > : : (I mean, it was written by "Tran", right?? :)
: > : Well, he wrote that source but I am fairly certain he did not write anything
: > : about losing the source.
: > Hmm.. I took another look at it. Looks to me like my mind took it a few
: > steps farther than it meant to be. :)
: It's the fault of the guy who released the source to it... he was
: creating rumours which bred and festered in our impressionable little
: minds. :)

Ahh, the smell of pasta..
whoops =)

I hate it when my mind reads something and assumes from it :)

: > : : So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)
: > : They will not do you any good ;)
: > Yeah? I have.. lets see.. 4 different 670 players here. All
: > Renaissance-created, of course.
: > Anyhow, it's always worth a shot. :P
: Hmmm... :)

I mean, running SOURCER on it and seeing what I get out.

Nah, its all encrypted or something. Sourcer sucks. I want an ICE. Or a
386 simulator.

: > Mr. P / Power Source
: > m...@spartan.pei.edu

: > You know the best place to find money? In your trashcan! I found $2000 in
: > mine yesterday.
: Wow... what kind of neighbors do you have? and what cartel affiliations
: are they in? :)

None, really. My older brother tossed out the old newspapers. turns out
my younger brother stuffed my $2000 cheque in the newspapers. :)

: -----------------\------------------------------------------------------------
: Quantum Porcupine \-\ People kept on telling me to get on with it and write
: a.k.a. Joshua Shagam > my damn .sig file. Well I finally got around to it
: jsh...@nmsu.edu /--/ since I finally got SIG of it all.
: ----------------/-------------------------------------------------------------
: Missing Link / Puuttuva Lenkki

Har. Nice pun. Didja know I can get 1GB HDs for $325 CDN?

Kvantti Piikkisika

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
On 9 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:

> Sorry for being such a pain, but will_you_teach_me_finnish? I need a 5th
> language to complete the entire second page on my resume. :)
>
> Actually, a book/tape/person/confused Swed<er,
> whatdoyoucallpeoplefromSweden? Swedinards?>/textfile would help. NO, not
> the one from gopher.funet.fi please. oh great Kvantti Silli... =)
> <all misspellings are intentional>

1. Siilin mineova (that's the best I can get for "hedgehogs suck" :)
2. I'm still learning Finnish myself, and I reccomend that you AVOID
"Mastering Finnish" by B|rje V{h{m{ki. It seems to assume that you know
Finnish already. :)

> Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
> : On 7 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:
> : > Charles Scheffold (dare...@news.dorsai.org) wrote:
> : > : S Colacino (cola...@duke.usask.ca) wrote:
> : > : : Sorry.. sheesh.. go get the VR source and see what it says..
> : > : : (I mean, it was written by "Tran", right?? :)
> : > : Well, he wrote that source but I am fairly certain he did not write anything
> : > : about losing the source.
> : > Hmm.. I took another look at it. Looks to me like my mind took it a few
> : > steps farther than it meant to be. :)
> : It's the fault of the guy who released the source to it... he was
> : creating rumours which bred and festered in our impressionable little
> : minds. :)
>
> Ahh, the smell of pasta..
> whoops =)
>
> I hate it when my mind reads something and assumes from it :)

What, bread? :) PLEASE don't remind me how hungry I am right now...

> : > : : So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)
> : > : They will not do you any good ;)
> : > Yeah? I have.. lets see.. 4 different 670 players here. All
> : > Renaissance-created, of course.
> : > Anyhow, it's always worth a shot. :P
> : Hmmm... :)
>
> I mean, running SOURCER on it and seeing what I get out.
>
> Nah, its all encrypted or something. Sourcer sucks. I want an ICE. Or a
> 386 simulator.

Just turn the internal/external cache on your CPU off, that works for me. :)

> : > Mr. P / Power Source
> : > m...@spartan.pei.edu
> : > You know the best place to find money? In your trashcan! I found $2000 in
> : > mine yesterday.
> : Wow... what kind of neighbors do you have? and what cartel affiliations
> : are they in? :)
>
> None, really. My older brother tossed out the old newspapers. turns out
> my younger brother stuffed my $2000 cheque in the newspapers. :)

Oh I see... in other words, either one of your brothers were careless
with a cheque of yours, or you were careless with a cheque of yours to
leave it in your younger brothers' reach. :)

> Har. Nice pun. Didja know I can get 1GB HDs for $325 CDN?

No I didn't... but I got a 1.2GB for $325 US a month ago, and it's since
dropped to $250 (not sure what exchange rate is right now)

Kvantti Piikkisika

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95

Yeah, and since you did you said Herring, not Hedgehog. :)

> I could've killed the last 'i', and added a 'y', and crossed the two
> languages. (Something we do an EXTREME lot in Singapore, mind you. :)

That would be pronounced "see-lew" :)

> If none of that made sense, it doesn't matter =)

Yeah, I know... :)

> : 2. I'm still learning Finnish myself, and I reccomend that you AVOID
> : "Mastering Finnish" by B|rje V{h{m{ki. It seems to assume that you know
> : Finnish already. :)
>

> Hehehe.. Probably comes written in Finnish :)

Nope, but it gives all the names for all the cases without saying wtf the
cases are to begin with. :)

> I've seen worse texts. Want an old "Conversational Mandarin" thing my
> parents bought to help me learn Mandarin when I was 6? It's HORRID.
> Book+tape. Doesn't even teach you the BASICS of the language. Nope. It
> jumps right into "ni hao ma" and shit. (And we all know you won't
> understand shit unless you understand the basics of the language. :)

Yup... :)

> BTW, "ni hao ma" = "you good <questioning pronoun>" = "how are you?"
> Nice basics of Chinese. But who cares? :)

No wonder stuff written in English by a Chinaman always look like "Please
be setting the jumpered to D7 Pin" or whatever :)

> : > Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:
> : > : On 7 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:

> : > : > Hmm.. I took another look at it. Looks to me like my mind took it a few

> : > : > steps farther than it meant to be. :)
> : > : It's the fault of the guy who released the source to it... he was
> : > : creating rumours which bred and festered in our impressionable little
> : > : minds. :)
> : > Ahh, the smell of pasta..
> : > whoops =)
> : > I hate it when my mind reads something and assumes from it :)
> : What, bread? :) PLEASE don't remind me how hungry I am right now...
>

> Why do you think I downed two entire glasses of Ice Cappucino just now?
> :) Go to http://www.pizzahut.com and order something =)

They've got that? cool!!! :) (or were you joking? I guess I can find out
easily enough...)

> : > : > : : So you have all the source. Drop me the 670s willya? :)

> : > : > : They will not do you any good ;)
> : > : > Yeah? I have.. lets see.. 4 different 670 players here. All
> : > : > Renaissance-created, of course.
> : > : > Anyhow, it's always worth a shot. :P
> : > : Hmmm... :)
> : > I mean, running SOURCER on it and seeing what I get out.
> : > Nah, its all encrypted or something. Sourcer sucks. I want an ICE. Or a
> : > 386 simulator.
> : Just turn the internal/external cache on your CPU off, that works for me. :)
>

> Nope. I mean, Amnesia runs with everything set nicely. But I want to
> DEBUG it. BREAK INTO it. In other words, be a lamer =)

OIC. :)

> And that is what I need the simulator for. Maybe someone can buy one from
> Intel and loan it to me for a while :)

I don't think that Intel would want to simulate a 386 while they're
developing the P6 and pushing their advertisements i.e. "Don't buy that
piece of shit 120MHz 486 from AMD now, wait a year and buy a 133MHz P6
from us!" :)

> : > : Wow... what kind of neighbors do you have? and what cartel affiliations

> : > : are they in? :)
> : > None, really. My older brother tossed out the old newspapers. turns out
> : > my younger brother stuffed my $2000 cheque in the newspapers. :)
> : Oh I see... in other words, either one of your brothers were careless
> : with a cheque of yours, or you were careless with a cheque of yours to
> : leave it in your younger brothers' reach. :)
>

> Well, I got back from school, asked where my cheque was, he didn't know,
> so we started scrambling around the house. :)

OIC... :)

> : > Har. Nice pun. Didja know I can get 1GB HDs for $325 CDN?
> : No I didn't... but I got a 1.2GB for $325 US a month ago, and it's since
> : dropped to $250 (not sure what exchange rate is right now)
>

> I know. Volt told me "1GB HDs for $219 US" in Computer Shopper. Of
> course, repairs & support are almost nonexistent, and I'm only wasting
> $14 CDN this way. :)

Good point...

> "YAAAAH! DEATH TO..."
> "...oatmeal."

It's dead, Jim.

S Colacino

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Kvantti Piikkisika (jsh...@nmsu.edu) wrote:

: On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:
: > In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950909173000.5611X-100000@verdi> you wrote:
: > : On 9 Sep 1995, S Colacino wrote:
: > : > <all misspellings are intentional>

: > : 1. Siilin mineova (that's the best I can get for "hedgehogs suck" :)
: > Cool. So I dropped the extra 'i', and added a 'l'. But you should realize
: Yeah, and since you did you said Herring, not Hedgehog. :)

Hey! HEEEEY!!!
what do you know!!

So I got a different meaning which makes more sense :)

: > I could've killed the last 'i', and added a 'y', and crossed the two
: > languages. (Something we do an EXTREME lot in Singapore, mind you. :)
: That would be pronounced "see-lew" :)

Not exactly my problem. You don't know how confusing it is to listen to
Mandarin then suddenly switch to English all in a split second just
because one guy could not come up with the equivalent word in the other
language. (It's weird :)

: > : 2. I'm still learning Finnish myself, and I reccomend that you AVOID
: > : "Mastering Finnish" by B|rje V{h{m{ki. It seems to assume that you know
: > : Finnish already. :)
: > Hehehe.. Probably comes written in Finnish :)
: Nope, but it gives all the names for all the cases without saying wtf the
: cases are to begin with. :)

"Cases"? Let me guess, this is one of those books full of English phrases
with Finnish counterparts. Well, I still have to troop down to the
university bookstore and look. They have Japanese there you know :)

: > BTW, "ni hao ma" = "you good <questioning pronoun>" = "how are you?"
: > Nice basics of Chinese. But who cares? :)
: No wonder stuff written in English by a Chinaman always look like "Please
: be setting the jumpered to D7 Pin" or whatever :)

Well, one of the things that bothered me about my grandparents was the
fact they always said "open the light" "close the light" stuff like that.
8 years later, I realize thats an exact translation from Chinese. I still
remember translating CD-ROM drive from Chinese: it went like "light disc
machine" :)

Kind of like an English guy trying to speak in French. Don't knock it
until you try it.

: > : > : It's the fault of the guy who released the source to it... he was

: > : > : creating rumours which bred and festered in our impressionable little
: > : > : minds. :)
: > : > Ahh, the smell of pasta..
: > : > whoops =)
: > : > I hate it when my mind reads something and assumes from it :)
: > : What, bread? :) PLEASE don't remind me how hungry I am right now...
: > Why do you think I downed two entire glasses of Ice Cappucino just now?
: > :) Go to http://www.pizzahut.com and order something =)
: They've got that? cool!!! :) (or were you joking? I guess I can find out
: easily enough...)

They do.. only, they don't extend service to the 306 area code, and here
I sit :( so i have to give them a ring by phone then :P

: > : > Nah, its all encrypted or something. Sourcer sucks. I want an ICE. Or a

: > : > 386 simulator.
: > : Just turn the internal/external cache on your CPU off, that works for me. :)
: > Nope. I mean, Amnesia runs with everything set nicely. But I want to
: > DEBUG it. BREAK INTO it. In other words, be a lamer =)
: OIC. :)

YRUPN? :)

: > And that is what I need the simulator for. Maybe someone can buy one from
: > Intel and loan it to me for a while :)
: I don't think that Intel would want to simulate a 386 while they're
: developing the P6 and pushing their advertisements i.e. "Don't buy that
: piece of shit 120MHz 486 from AMD now, wait a year and buy a 133MHz P6
: from us!" :)

They sell them you know. Well, Pentium simulator, 486 Simulator, shit
like that :) I have like tons of Faxback documents from them :P

: > : > Har. Nice pun. Didja know I can get 1GB HDs for $325 CDN?

: > : No I didn't... but I got a 1.2GB for $325 US a month ago, and it's since
: > : dropped to $250 (not sure what exchange rate is right now)
: > I know. Volt told me "1GB HDs for $219 US" in Computer Shopper. Of
: > course, repairs & support are almost nonexistent, and I'm only wasting
: > $14 CDN this way. :)
: Good point...

Then there's tax and shit (16 % total - 7% GST, 9% PST), bringing it to
$382 a head. Oh well, still fairly decent :)

: > "YAAAAH! DEATH TO..."

: > "...oatmeal."
: It's dead, Jim.

I think that needs explaning. It's a little "butchered-quotes" program I
wrote, into which I feed cut up quotes. Most of the time, it fits the
quotes together properly, but sometimes it can screw up.

No, it's gone on Nov 15 :(

Mr. P / Power Source

ac...@198.169.128.1
m...@fish.share.net (FIXED)

"1.6GB.."
"..headaches, use.."
"..earthquake which measured 8.4 on the Richter.."
"..tires, go to Michelin."