demoscene article in '2600: The Hacker Quarterly'

David Melik

Nov 10, 2014, 4:01:03 AM11/10/14
I wrote a demoscene article in the current issue (Fall 2014) of '2600:
The Hacker Quarterly', so if you read the magazine or are interested,
you might like that issue, or you could use it to introduce friends who
are into other areas of hacking into the demoscene. The article has a
couple errors, from me, and maybe editing: citation 11 should have not
said it is referencing Phoenix's texture-mapping code, but HELiX's
bump-mapping code (also on scene.org/hornet.org), and that code was
edited so the set of comments in the middle look like part of the
article, but it is actually one piece of code. The article was based on
my senior computer science academic paper.

Ant

Dec 3, 2014, 3:41:20 PM12/3/14
Is there an online version for us to read it? ;)
--
Quote of the Week: "When many work together for a goal, great things may
be accomplished. It is said a lion cub was killed by a single colony of

David Melik

Dec 4, 2014, 7:41:19 AM12/4/14
Not yet, but I plan to upload it by about the time of the next issue,
or just after.

David Melik

Dec 4, 2014, 7:43:37 AM12/4/14
Well, there is also the digital version of '2600', but as for a free
version of the article, I sort of answered that in my previous post (I
am planning to upload it to my publicly accessible homepage).

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:41:19 -0600

El Topo

Dec 19, 2014, 3:14:28 AM12/19/14
Will be interesting to take a look at when it's available :)
--
El Topo <ne...@dromland.se>

Ant

Dec 31, 2014, 4:18:02 PM12/31/14
OK and thanks. ;)

David Melik <dchm...@hipplanet.com> wrote:
> Not yet, but I plan to upload it by about the time of the next issue,
> or just after.

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:41:19 -0600
> ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> > Is there an online version for us to read it? ;)
> >

> > David Melik <dchm...@hipplanet.com> wrote:
> > > I wrote a demoscene article in the current issue (Fall 2014) of
> > > '2600: The Hacker Quarterly', so if you read the magazine or are
> > > interested, you might like that issue, or you could use it to
> > > introduce friends who are into other areas of hacking into the
> > > demoscene. The article has a couple errors, from me, and maybe
> > > editing: citation 11 should have not said it is referencing
> > > Phoenix's texture-mapping code, but HELiX's bump-mapping code (also
> > > on scene.org/hornet.org), and that code was edited so the set of
> > > comments in the middle look like part of the article, but it is
> > > actually one piece of code. The article was based on my senior
> > > computer science academic paper.

--
Quote of the Week: "I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd
be willing to bet that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in

David Melik

Jan 3, 2015, 8:39:19 AM1/3/15
As promised, I uploaded the article--corrected/longer version--to a
page at my homesite; the article is available in various formats in
links in the first sentence on http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/demos.html (I
would link to the files but such links to non-HTML files are no longer
accessible at that domain).

David ('Darwin')

David Melik

Jan 3, 2015, 8:52:33 AM1/3/15
On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 05:39:18 -0800
or to access a directory mostly of files of the article in various
formats, you can also try http://mathematicon.com/david/lit/David/

David ('Darwin')